What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P90X - Anyone try this? (1 Viewer)

i still havent got the disc i ordered from ebay (delayed shipment from china) :goodposting: , but i went ahead and got the pull up bar. of course i live in a really old house that seems to have extra large door frames. it doesnt fit securely in any door. i have one door way where it will hang, but it doesnt feel very secure. any suggestions?

P90X is never going to bulk anyone up - ripped, perhaps but not huge.
Agreed. Bought into the before and after pictures too much. Now I know.
Wrong way to think...P90x can and will add bulk if you work hard enough and eat right. When I finished I had more muscle mass than any point in my life when I was lifting. It might not turn you into Arnold but it can add muscle mass plain and simple. How much depends on what you put into it.

Wrong way to think...P90x can and will add bulk if you work hard enough and eat right. When I finished I had more muscle mass than any point in my life when I was lifting. It might not turn you into Arnold but it can add muscle mass plain and simple. How much depends on what you put into it.
I've always been a hard gainer. I've worked out off and on since high school trying to gain lean weight (heck, in high school at 6' 130 lbs I would have taken any kind of weight). Most of the time I'm sure I wasn't doing things right. A year in college I was working out religiously with some guys in the dorm that were pretty serious. I got a lot stronger, but gained no size. That's just the body I was given.Being a father of three busy kids, eating a incredibly precise diet, and trying to be realistic about family meals for something that might show some small result just isn't an option at this point. If I can lose the fat and maintain what little muscle I have is fine with me. Shooting for anything else is just going to be another failed experiment.

Of course it will, but it won't add size like a power lifting program will - hence my comment about it making you ripped but not bulked.

I am about to attempt P90X for the first time. With 2 boys ages 2.5 and 9 months, I've slowly but surely been able to acquire a nice little beer belly to go along with my overall out of shapedness. Hopeful that this will help me shed some pounds and get into decent shape before softball season starts. Without going through the last 11 pages, any quick suggestions for a first timer? TIA

Suggestions very welcomed:

I am looking to get on something at the start of the new year. My situation is pretty standard, I am fat. I used to be close to 300 bills, went down to 205 when I started exercising on the elliptical 5 times a week and gave up regular soda. Of course I plateaued and even with religiously working out (45 minutes) 4 times a week, I gained 60 pounds back. I don't drink and I don't eat all that much junk food, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, just wondering if the p90 or the p90x is the better choice. Like others, I have never done a pullup in my life so take that into consideration.

All I am looking to do is lose weight really, if I get a little stronger cool.
Sorry to be hat guy, but I wanted to go ahead and was looking to the bolded questions answered. Anyone?

I am about to attempt P90X for the first time. With 2 boys ages 2.5 and 9 months, I've slowly but surely been able to acquire a nice little beer belly to go along with my overall out of shapedness. Hopeful that this will help me shed some pounds and get into decent shape before softball season starts. Without going through the last 11 pages, any quick suggestions for a first timer? TIA
Some advice I previously mentioned
I previously got to about day 70 on p90x and lost my frame of mind, missing a couple weeks. So, I decided to re-focus and start over on day 1 using some supplements this go around. Just started my second week on monday and I feel alot more motivated to get all the way through. I really love this program, but it is tough. Make sure you are mentally prepared to finish this thing out.Through my first 70 days I lost a couple inches on my waist and gained a ton of muscle.Some advice- try your best to not skip any days, if you are out of town bring your dvds and what you can with you. It really is important to do each work out. - If you do skip only one or two days then just continue on the workout schedule as if you did the workout. Anymore then that and I would suggest continuing from where you left off or just start that week over again. - If you are having an "off" day and just really dont feel like doing it, just do what you can, maybe skip a few sets or cut it short. Anything is better then nothing. - Try your best to eat right during this. You will see ALOT better results- Don't get discouraged the first week, trust me it gets easier. Just do what you can. I was so bad at yoga the first week, now I can just about do every move and have increased my flexibility. Same goes with the amount of reps in everything. P90x can really do great things if you let it

Prepare yourself to fail... but keep at it. By the end of some workouts, you may not be able to do the exercises they are doing. Don't get frustrated. It will get better over time.PS- regarding the comment about being a father... I have found that I am only able to do P90X 3-4 times per week because of family commitments. I think it's about doing something... even if you can't follow the whole weekly routine.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am looking to get on something at the start of the new year. My situation is pretty standard, I am fat. I used to be close to 300 bills, went down to 205 when I started exercising on the elliptical 5 times a week and gave up regular soda. Of course I plateaued and even with religiously working out (45 minutes) 4 times a week, I gained 60 pounds back. I don't drink and I don't eat all that much junk food, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, just wondering if the p90 or the p90x is the better choice. Like others, I have never done a pullup in my life so take that into consideration.

Sorry to be hat guy, but I wanted to go ahead and was looking to the bolded questions answered. Anyone?
I don't know anything about P90. I'm in the "can't yet do a pull-up" camp. Had I known there was a P90 option when I started, I might have taken that route if it is more designed to get you into P90X shape. I don't really know if that's the case, or if P90X is just an updated version of P90 to make more money. :confused:

I would go with p90. I have both, but the p90x program is designed for someone who needs to get in shape. You can lose weight too, but you are going to be so limited it might be discouraging. The key to starting out is not to get discouraged. If you decide to get the programs via alternative measures you can get p90, p90M, p90X, and p90X+ all at once and then pick and choose.

- If you are having an "off" day and just really dont feel like doing it, just do what you can, maybe skip a few sets or cut it short. Anything is better then nothing.
This is great advice. Plus, once you get warmed up, you usually end up doing the whole thing anyway.

- If you are having an "off" day and just really dont feel like doing it, just do what you can, maybe skip a few sets or cut it short. Anything is better then nothing.
This is great advice. Plus, once you get warmed up, you usually end up doing the whole thing anyway.
Some of the products out there really help if you can stomach them. I started using Superpump 250 about a month ago and anytime I don't feel like working out I take some. 30 minutes later a squad of marines couldn't stop me from working out.

i still havent got the disc i ordered from ebay (delayed shipment from china) ;) , but i went ahead and got the pull up bar. of course i live in a really old house that seems to have extra large door frames. it doesnt fit securely in any door. i have one door way where it will hang, but it doesnt feel very secure. any suggestions?
Buy a stationary apparatus. But seriously, is the dude with the prosthetic leg Rabbit from Super Troopers?

Some of the products out there really help if you can stomach them. I started using Superpump 250 about a month ago and anytime I don't feel like working out I take some. 30 minutes later a squad of marines couldn't stop me from working out.
N.O.Xplode ;)

I've always been a hard gainer. I've worked out off and on since high school trying to gain lean weight (heck, in high school at 6' 130 lbs I would have taken any kind of weight). Most of the time I'm sure I wasn't doing things right. A year in college I was working out religiously with some guys in the dorm that were pretty serious. I got a lot stronger, but gained no size. That's just the body I was given.Being a father of three busy kids, eating a incredibly precise diet, and trying to be realistic about family meals for something that might show some small result just isn't an option at this point. If I can lose the fat and maintain what little muscle I have is fine with me. Shooting for anything else is just going to be another failed experiment.
I'm a hard gainer as well. What would you consider bulking up for a 90 day workout? Especially if you are starting in poor shape. I think results similar to the before and after pictures are attainable. Maybe not if you are caring for 3 kids, but that's not the programs fault.

N.O.Xplode :no:
I use N.O. Xplode before every workout.

I'm a hard gainer as well. What would you consider bulking up for a 90 day workout? Especially if you are starting in poor shape. I think results similar to the before and after pictures are attainable. Maybe not if you are caring for 3 kids, but that's not the programs fault.
Wouldn't starting in poor shape lead to easier results? I would think adding the first 1/4" to your biceps would be the easiest.

Wouldn't starting in poor shape lead to easier results? I would think adding the first 1/4" to your biceps would be the easiest.
No I don't think so, this is just my opinion from my own personal experience but being in poor shape will cause you to not be able to get much out of workouts initially and low strength makes it tough to do exercises with intensity and form. When I was 19 I lifted in college and like you saw little gains because my legs and core were weak which really prevents you from doing stuff with intensity and good form like I said, I was lanky and all over the place with any amount of weight. Took me over a year probably before I was squatting consistently and correctly and it paid off. I lifted on and off until I did p90x in the spring of last year, and I was a monster after I finished, went from around 6'3" 190lbs and 18% body fat to 198lbs and prob 10% body fat. The better in shape I got the more I felt I got out of every exercise. I tore my labrum in the fall playing football and although I have stayed in shape I lost some strength gains especially in my chest and shoulders so I am doing the program again starting today actually. To prep myself I have been doing the workouts the past 2 weeks and I feel like I put on muscle already, I just feel like the more I do these workouts the more I get out of them. The better shape you get in the harder you can work to get more. Its like a snowball effect for me.

Starting out of shape makes losing weight easier, it doesn't make gaining muscle any easier. Lean muscle gain is pretty much set at a max of about 2 lbs per month. It really can't be changed much beyond that.

Starting out of shape makes losing weight easier, it doesn't make gaining muscle any easier. Lean muscle gain is pretty much set at a max of about 2 lbs per month. It really can't be changed much beyond that.
Adding 2 lbs of muscle to a 6' 180lb body is going to make a bigger difference (the physical difference would be more visibly and measurably apparent) than 2 lbs of muscle to a 6' 220 lb body, assuming the lean mass is the same, wouldn't you agree?

Adding 2 lbs of muscle to a 6' 180lb body is going to make a bigger difference (the physical difference would be more visibly and measurably apparent) than 2 lbs of muscle to a 6' 220 lb body, assuming the lean mass is the same, wouldn't you agree?
Probably.

No I don't think so, this is just my opinion from my own personal experience but being in poor shape will cause you to not be able to get much out of workouts initially and low strength makes it tough to do exercises with intensity and form. When I was 19 I lifted in college and like you saw little gains because my legs and core were weak which really prevents you from doing stuff with intensity and good form like I said, I was lanky and all over the place with any amount of weight. Took me over a year probably before I was squatting consistently and correctly and it paid off. I lifted on and off until I did p90x in the spring of last year, and I was a monster after I finished, went from around 6'3" 190lbs and 18% body fat to 198lbs and prob 10% body fat. The better in shape I got the more I felt I got out of every exercise. I tore my labrum in the fall playing football and although I have stayed in shape I lost some strength gains especially in my chest and shoulders so I am doing the program again starting today actually. To prep myself I have been doing the workouts the past 2 weeks and I feel like I put on muscle already, I just feel like the more I do these workouts the more I get out of them. The better shape you get in the harder you can work to get more. Its like a snowball effect for me.
I'm not discredited anything you've said, as everyone's milage varies. However, when I was reading up on adding muslce prior to doing P90X, one bodybuilder I read mentioned that as you go on, you have to tone down your expectations. If your initial goal was to add 1/4 inch to your biceps, and it took you X amount of time, your next time frame for adding the next 1/4 inch is going to be X + Y. There's probably a bell curve of this, where if you are starting at zero, your gains aren't going to be great. But, if you are starting with some strength, your gains are going to be more than if you've been working out hard for many years. That would be my theory anyway. The question would just then be, where exactly are you on the bell curve, and that's going to affect your expected results.

He's not lying. I've seen him naked.

I'm not discredited anything you've said, as everyone's milage varies. However, when I was reading up on adding muslce prior to doing P90X, one bodybuilder I read mentioned that as you go on, you have to tone down your expectations. If your initial goal was to add 1/4 inch to your biceps, and it took you X amount of time, your next time frame for adding the next 1/4 inch is going to be X + Y. There's probably a bell curve of this, where if you are starting at zero, your gains aren't going to be great. But, if you are starting with some strength, your gains are going to be more than if you've been working out hard for many years. That would be my theory anyway. The question would just then be, where exactly are you on the bell curve, and that's going to affect your expected results.
I believe that and the bell curve makes sense. I don't know how much it applies here since P90x is not body building...I used to do a body building lifting routine and it didn't do much for me, too much isolation, felt like there was nothing to tie it all together. To me P90x is more about acheiving a supreme level of overall fitness (strength, balance and flexibility) where everything ties together perfectly. A lot of the stuff your saying is not untrue but does not seem to apply fully to the conclusions you make about the program. If you tried it and couldn't finish, how do you really know what it can do for you? That's all I'm saying. You seem to be trying to find any reason to tell yourself that it won't give you what you want.

I believe that and the bell curve makes sense. I don't know how much it applies here since P90x is not body building...I used to do a body building lifting routine and it didn't do much for me, too much isolation, felt like there was nothing to tie it all together. To me P90x is more about acheiving a supreme level of overall fitness (strength, balance and flexibility) where everything ties together perfectly. A lot of the stuff your saying is not untrue but does not seem to apply fully to the conclusions you make about the program. If you tried it and couldn't finish, how do you really know what it can do for you? That's all I'm saying. You seem to be trying to find any reason to tell yourself that it won't give you what you want.
I'm not trying to find a reason to tell myself it won't give me what I want. I want to go into the program with the right expectations.I agree that P90X is more about overall fitness than it is bodybuilding. That's why I don't have high expectations for adding a large amount of lean mass. If the most you can expect to add in a month is 2 lbs (whatever that number is, just taking jonessed's figure), then I would expect something less than that from P90X, though I would expect to be in better overall shape (cardiovascular, etc.) than someone who was doing a straight bodybuilding routine.But to clarify my experience, the first time around, I was going mainly for gains. I was taking the P90X supplements. I wasn't following the diet exactly, but I was eating a hybrid of it, as well as meals from other weight lifting cookbooks I had. I was taking creatine. I became discouraged, because after five weeks, I had zero results. No change in body weight, no visible change in the 30 day pictures, no change in any of the measurements. Did I give it long enough? Probably not, but I believe the program has you do 30 pictures and measurements to document change up to that point. I had none, and after another week of it, dropped it.Now, I'm not going in expecting that kind of change. I'm doing more of a calorie restriction diet than muscle gain diet. I'm down five pounds in the middle of my third week, and actually have more documented increase in performance in the exercises than the first time around. I'm not saying this is the best or right way for everyone, but that is what is working for me.

day one in the books. i had always taken for granted how easy putting on deodorant was in the mornings.

Who wants to sell me these DVD's?
ebay. i got the complete set, dvds, guides, nutrition plan for $85. free shipping. finishing up day 7 today, stretch! ive enjoyed it, kinda. first 2 days we're pretty brutal. kenpo was actually fun i thought. either way, this will be a grind.

Well I am giving this a shot. Back in July 2008 I weighed 270# and went on weight watchers with a killer cadio (1000 calorie workouts daily). I was able to keep this up for about 4 months and got down to about 195#. But the bordom of the cadio and the amount of work I needed to do demotivated me and stopped. I am not at about 230# and am ready to try something again. This seems to mis it up enough to keep it "fun". My goal is to drop weight, but also get in better shape again.

My biggest issue is watching a vide when I am working out, but I guess I will learn them over time! Sunday will be my rest day so tonight I start with Day 3 of week 1 (Shoulders). I guess I repeat week 1 since I didn't do a complete week 1 this week.

Wish me luck!

Hit a milestone today, with the second digit of my weight changing. I started on 1/1 at 187, and got down to 179 today. I'm shooting for 159 by the end of the program, but will need to pick the pace up slightly to hit that. According to my calculations, my body fat percentage is down from 23.7 to 19.4, and I've gained 1.9 pounds of lean weight. I find the last number hard to believe, but so far so good.

I'm a little sick of the rest week I'm in. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do the exercises this week (I've skipped two already), but I'm looking forward to hitting the strength stuff again next week.

Hit a milestone today, with the second digit of my weight changing. I started on 1/1 at 187, and got down to 179 today. I'm shooting for 159 by the end of the program, but will need to pick the pace up slightly to hit that. According to my calculations, my body fat percentage is down from 23.7 to 19.4, and I've gained 1.9 pounds of lean weight. I find the last number hard to believe, but so far so good.I'm a little sick of the rest week I'm in. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do the exercises this week (I've skipped two already), but I'm looking forward to hitting the strength stuff again next week.
That's awesome, have you been following the meal plan? Those are some good results for 3-4 weeks. The rest week throws me off too.

Well I am giving this a shot. Back in July 2008 I weighed 270# and went on weight watchers with a killer cadio (1000 calorie workouts daily). I was able to keep this up for about 4 months and got down to about 195#. But the bordom of the cadio and the amount of work I needed to do demotivated me and stopped. I am not at about 230# and am ready to try something again. This seems to mis it up enough to keep it "fun". My goal is to drop weight, but also get in better shape again.My biggest issue is watching a vide when I am working out, but I guess I will learn them over time! Sunday will be my rest day so tonight I start with Day 3 of week 1 (Shoulders). I guess I repeat week 1 since I didn't do a complete week 1 this week. Wish me luck!
You will get used to watching a video while working out, was my first time to do it too. After getting my butt kicked by chest and back the first day, watching a video became the least of worries. You are missing two of the best workouts (chest and back / plyo), if i were you I would repeat week 1 as you said.

Hit a milestone today, with the second digit of my weight changing. I started on 1/1 at 187, and got down to 179 today. I'm shooting for 159 by the end of the program, but will need to pick the pace up slightly to hit that. According to my calculations, my body fat percentage is down from 23.7 to 19.4, and I've gained 1.9 pounds of lean weight. I find the last number hard to believe, but so far so good.I'm a little sick of the rest week I'm in. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do the exercises this week (I've skipped two already), but I'm looking forward to hitting the strength stuff again next week.
You should really try some of the pre-workout products available. I have never used anything but Creatine and protein shakes in the past, but I started using Superpump 250 based on a recommendation here and it works great. I have no way of breaking out the workout benefits, but it definitely gets you motivated to start. I also find I workout longer. Often times I will throw in a cardio routine at the end of my strength workout just because I'm still raring to go. It just works.

That's awesome, have you been following the meal plan? Those are some good results for 3-4 weeks. The rest week throws me off too.
I haven't been following the meal plan. I've actually been doing Weight Watchers to monitor my intake. As I've discussed earlier in this thread, I've tried P90X before with the goal of packing on muscle, and it didn't work for me. This time around, I'm doing it to maintain what little I have and burn calories to lose weight. That's why I'm a little skeptical of the supposed 1.9 pounds of lean weight gain, but maybe the measurements at the end of 90 days will be more accurate/telling.

jonessed said:
You should really try some of the pre-workout products available. I have never used anything but Creatine and protein shakes in the past, but I started using Superpump 250 based on a recommendation here and it works great. I have no way of breaking out the workout benefits, but it definitely gets you motivated to start. I also find I workout longer. Often times I will throw in a cardio routine at the end of my strength workout just because I'm still raring to go. It just works.
I workout first thing in the morning, so I probably should be doing something better pre-workout. The first day I did nothing except drank water, and I almost passed out mid-workout. What I do now I'm sure is not optimal, but it gets a few calories in. But, working out at 5:30 am doesn't leave me a bunch of time to consume much pre-workout. I used to do creatine, and I liked that, but right before I started I saw my creatine was expired, and I haven't gotten any yet. What kind of product is the Superpump?

jonessed said:
If I'm working out at night, would those types of products end up making it hard to go to sleep?I currently work out starting around 9:30pm after the kids are in bed. I have a hard enough time falling a sleep from the workout rush and would hate to make it worse.

jonessed said:
Hit a milestone today, with the second digit of my weight changing. I started on 1/1 at 187, and got down to 179 today. I'm shooting for 159 by the end of the program, but will need to pick the pace up slightly to hit that. According to my calculations, my body fat percentage is down from 23.7 to 19.4, and I've gained 1.9 pounds of lean weight. I find the last number hard to believe, but so far so good.

I'm a little sick of the rest week I'm in. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do the exercises this week (I've skipped two already), but I'm looking forward to hitting the strength stuff again next week.
I workout first thing in the morning, so I probably should be doing something better pre-workout. The first day I did nothing except drank water, and I almost passed out mid-workout. What I do now I'm sure is not optimal, but it gets a few calories in. But, working out at 5:30 am doesn't leave me a bunch of time to consume much pre-workout. I used to do creatine, and I liked that, but right before I started I saw my creatine was expired, and I haven't gotten any yet. What kind of product is the Superpump?
N.O. Xplode works great too. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=IP-1003

jonessed said:
If I'm working out at night, would those types of products end up making it hard to go to sleep?I currently work out starting around 9:30pm after the kids are in bed. I have a hard enough time falling a sleep from the workout rush and would hate to make it worse.
Depends on what time you go to bed, but yeah it definitely could keep you up.

Just ordered this on ebay. Looking forward to trying it out.

Like a few others, I'm a father of 2 little ones now (3.5 & 1) and I've let myself go for too long. I also race enduros and look forward to this adding that extra level of fitness I've always seemed to lack (I am alway fighting to the finish, where others are still rippin' after 5hrs).

I'm also a pullup wuss, so we'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread