What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P90X - Anyone try this? (1 Viewer)

Cool, I can just not do the repeated exercises that the Yoga and Ab videos have in common. Keeping with Hit I wouldn't want to train the same muscle group more than twice in a week.I don't think I'll be doing the protein bars and shakes or recovery drinks. I don't see the need. From what I read it only takes about 6,000 calories a year, above the level needed to maintain your current weight, to gain 10lbs of muscle. Divide 6,000 by 365 and it's about 16 extra calories a day. That's about two bites of an apple. It would be reasonable to expect being able to gain 10-20 lbs of muscle in a year. So 4 bites :goodposting:
But you need to factor in the fact that the caloric intake required to maintain your current bodyweight can and does increase with the amount of physical activity you do -- increase your workouts, you'll also need to increase your calories. You should really consider a "clean" protein like Designer Whey a couple of times a day, including after you lift.

I have. I need to lose about 20 lbs. So running a deficit is what I want. After that I just need to eat enough to maintain that weight and a little more for the muscle gain. If I continue to lose weight then I can back off some cardio time. Then if I start to gain I can add some time back on. No need add extra that will need to be burned off. Perhaps at ahigher level of development I may need to supplement protein, but with an average build it'd be a waste of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did plyometrics last night. That is not an easy routine.
No it isn't.........it's a killerI'll be doing the Yoga tonight(I wasn't able to get up this morning)

Never doing Yoga, what should I expect?
First and foremost....Expect to be confused the first time. It's going to take you a bit to learn what all them moves are called so you're going to spend a lot of the first time or two through the routine trying replicate what they are doing. They repeat the same moves over and over again by doing a sequence and adding 1 more move, and then doing the sequence again adding another move. (1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5.....)

The first 40 minutes or so will be those sequences (primarily in warrior poses)...if you cannot keep going in these, don't quit, fast forward to "the final vinyasa". As I've said previously, the end of the workout also has "Yoga Belly 7" for your abs...so if you can't make it through the 1st or 2nd half all the way, don't quit...fast forward to that part. This is the strategy I've taken here...do as much as you can, fast forward a bit and do more. By the 3rd or 4th time though you should be able to get through it without skipping anything.

Listen to the Tips Tony gives you on doing the warrior poses properly. You want to get as low as you can in these without letting your lead knee extend to your toes. The lower you get and the more you fight to keep your back leg and arms straight the more of a workout you will feel.

Prepare to sweat!

Did plyometrics last night. That is not an easy routine.
No it isn't.........it's a killerI'll be doing the Yoga tonight(I wasn't able to get up this morning)

Never doing Yoga, what should I expect?
First and foremost....Expect to be confused the first time. It's going to take you a bit to learn what all them moves are called so you're going to spend a lot of the first time or two through the routine trying replicate what they are doing. They repeat the same moves over and over again by doing a sequence and adding 1 more move, and then doing the sequence again adding another move. (1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5.....)

The first 40 minutes or so will be those sequences (primarily in warrior poses)...if you cannot keep going in these, don't quit, fast forward to "the final vinyasa". As I've said previously, the end of the workout also has "Yoga Belly 7" for your abs...so if you can't make it through the 1st or 2nd half all the way, don't quit...fast forward to that part. This is the strategy I've taken here...do as much as you can, fast forward a bit and do more. By the 3rd or 4th time though you should be able to get through it without skipping anything.

Listen to the Tips Tony gives you on doing the warrior poses properly. You want to get as low as you can in these without letting your lead knee extend to your toes. The lower you get and the more you fight to keep your back leg and arms straight the more of a workout you will feel.

Prepare to sweat!
Great, can't wait for the challenge.

What weight dumbbells does the average person need for most of these exercises?

Can I get away with 15, 20, 25, and 30 pounders?

Also, how much should used dumbbells cost? Is 1 dollar a pound excessive?

What weight dumbbells does the average person need for most of these exercises?Can I get away with 15, 20, 25, and 30 pounders?Also, how much should used dumbbells cost? Is 1 dollar a pound excessive?
You may even need to get some lighter weights.....I haven't gone over 25's yet.about a buck a pound is what I've been paying too

What weight dumbbells does the average person need for most of these exercises?Can I get away with 15, 20, 25, and 30 pounders?Also, how much should used dumbbells cost? Is 1 dollar a pound excessive?
You may even need to get some lighter weights.....I haven't gone over 25's yet.about a buck a pound is what I've been paying too
You calling me a sissy or something? :lmao:

You calling me a sissy or something? :lmao:
maybe........Or, I've just found that my ego sometimes gets in the way of what I can do.

You calling me a sissy or something? :boxing:
maybe........Or, I've just found that my ego sometimes gets in the way of what I can do.
How about those adjustable dumbbell sets that seem to be everywhere these days.Looks like you can get a set of 50 pounders for 250 bucks or so.Anyone use these things?

You calling me a sissy or something? :rant:
How about those adjustable dumbbell sets that seem to be everywhere these days.Looks like you can get a set of 50 pounders for 250 bucks or so.Anyone use these things?
I've looked into those. Space savers for sure. The bowflex weights I had my eye on run $350

Ok here goes nothing. I downloaded this over the weekend, and am going to start today. Day 90 will be my 45th birthday, so Happy Effin Birthday to me! :unsure:Someone get a hold of Jennifer Love Hewitt for me please. She can either :lmao: me back to life, or help me to cross over to the other side. :bag:

I bought a couple of 10lb cast iron hexagonal dumbbells for $8.67 each, and a Gold's Gym brand chin-up bar for $11.77 at Walmart.

Did the standard routine in the spring. Thinking of picking back up and doing the lean routine plus some diet changes for the fall. It's amazing how well this program gets your body in shape. I've fallen off the workout wagon for the last 3 months due to work and other things, but my max pushup count is still way high (compared to pre P90x days) and my legs still feel fantastic after flag football days (when previously they would be sore).

I have 15 and 30 pounders, but am really wishing I had some 20 & 25s and also one heavier (40s?) set.The thing is, the 15 lbers work great for some things, but are way too light for others. For example, the rowing type back exercises you really need something heavier than 15 IMO.

15 I also find too light for most of the curl exercises, I wish I had a 20 or 25 set for those. I end up doing like 30 reps with the 15s, and would like to do more like 15-20 hard ones.

I also built my own chin up bar this weekend, right into the floor joists in my garage. I was finding that door chin up bar model to be pretty weak. You can't hang from it without touching ground, which makes kipper pull ups impossible. I think I may do these kippers instead of putting my foot on a chair like p90x suggests after failure.

Tonight I am going to officially start this thing over, and start keeping track of my progress, we had a kid a couple weeks ago and it's been hard to get into an exercise rhythym, though I've done 80% of the workouts.

I have 15 and 30 pounders, but am really wishing I had some 20 & 25s and also one heavier (40s?) set.The thing is, the 15 lbers work great for some things, but are way too light for others. For example, the rowing type back exercises you really need something heavier than 15 IMO.

15 I also find too light for most of the curl exercises, I wish I had a 20 or 25 set for those. I end up doing like 30 reps with the 15s, and would like to do more like 15-20 hard ones.

I also built my own chin up bar this weekend, right into the floor joists in my garage. I was finding that door chin up bar model to be pretty weak. You can't hang from it without touching ground, which makes kipper pull ups impossible. I think I may do these kippers instead of putting my foot on a chair like p90x suggests after failure.

Tonight I am going to officially start this thing over, and start keeping track of my progress, we had a kid a couple weeks ago and it's been hard to get into an exercise rhythym, though I've done 80% of the workouts.
This is why I moved back into the gym after day 60/70ish... kept having to buy new weights to keep up with strength gains every couple weeks.I don't have that kind of room under my bed.

Been doing this with a buddy for the last couple of weeks, but we are skipping the leg workouts and doing more cardio (swimming). The workouts are killer.

How long until you guys had noticeable differences in your physique?

I bought the program earlier this year but started lifting right after so I've never used it. But I still struggle for cardio which I know it has so I might start doing some of it. But what I really need is flexibility work.

What are the best cardio discs?

Is there any discs that work on flexibility?

Remember I've never opened the box.

I bought the program earlier this year but started lifting right after so I've never used it. But I still struggle for cardio which I know it has so I might start doing some of it. But what I really need is flexibility work.What are the best cardio discs?Is there any discs that work on flexibility?Remember I've never opened the box.
For cardio type stuff, there are 3 discs: plyometrics, cardio, and kenpoFor flexibility: Yoga and Stretching each have a disc

I bought the program earlier this year but started lifting right after so I've never used it. But I still struggle for cardio which I know it has so I might start doing some of it. But what I really need is flexibility work.What are the best cardio discs?Is there any discs that work on flexibility?Remember I've never opened the box.
For cardio type stuff, there are 3 discs: plyometrics, cardio, and kenpoFor flexibility: Yoga and Stretching each have a disc
Thanks you.How long are those discs? Do you need anything for them?

Average workout lasts about an hour, including pre-workout stretch.Yoga=1.5 hours

Been doing this with a buddy for the last couple of weeks, but we are skipping the leg workouts and doing more cardio (swimming). The workouts are killer. How long until you guys had noticeable differences in your physique?
follow the diet, and 30 days. more noticable days 30-60, more still 60-90.

Average workout lasts about an hour, including pre-workout stretch.Yoga=1.5 hours
Thanks.

Well, I'm still alive. lol Actually, it wasn't that bad. I'm sore, but then again I may have only been working at about 80% due to starting off from a basically sedentary lifestyle. Supposed to do shoulders/arms today, but can't get the file to work. WMP is saying it's missing a codec, but I reinstalled WMP and it still doesn't work. Corrupted file perhaps? Any way to get just the one file, without having to download everything? I'll check the torrent site. Maybe someone could put it in their Limewire folder and I can get it that way?

ETA: yup, the individual file is available on the torrent site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm still alive. lol Actually, it wasn't that bad. I'm sore, but then again I may have only been working at about 80% due to starting off from a basically sedentary lifestyle. Supposed to do shoulders/arms today, but can't get the file to work. WMP is saying it's missing a codec, but I reinstalled WMP and it still doesn't work. Corrupted file perhaps? Any way to get just the one file, without having to download everything? I'll check the torrent site. Maybe someone could put it in their Limewire folder and I can get it that way?ETA: yup, the individual file is available on the torrent site.
Wish I knew how to do torrents, or a nice Rapidshare link would show up in my PM Inbox. :lmao: But I guess I'll just have to go buy the DVDs.

My wife knows another girl who got good results with P90X with her husband. Now she is wanting to start it with me.

The following is not a personal ad:

Me: 44 yo, 6'0" 200 pounds, athletic for my age and still in pretty good shape

Her: 38 yo, 5'9", 135 pounds, and also athletic and fit

Questions: Dumbells of what weights will we need? What else should we know?

Thanks P90Xguys!

My wife knows another girl who got good results with P90X with her husband. Now she is wanting to start it with me.

Thanks P90Xguys!
If you can afford it, get these

Thanks P90Xguys!
Cheaper alternative. They have these at target.It only gets to 25 pounds each but other than lats it should be enough

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VDTFZ2/ref=as...ASIN=B000VDTFZ2

Thanks P90Xguys!
Cheaper alternative. They have these at target.It only gets to 25 pounds each but other than lats it should be enough

For P90X exercises, does each person need 1 dumbell or 2?

Thanks P90Xguys!

You'll each need two

Thanks P90Xguys!

2. OR a band.

I found a dumbbell rack, and pairs of 5,8,15,20 and 25 pounders for 120 bucks, on craigslist.

I then proceeded to sell the rack for 50 bucks.

So, I got the weights for about 50 cents a pound. This was after almost buying a set from someone else for close to a dollar a pound. If you aren't in a super hurry to buy them, deals can be found. There was a guy selling 10-75 pounders, in increments of 5 pounds, for only 400 bucks. I almost bought them all with the intention of reselling all of them in individual pairs.

I'm thinking of starting this, I'm going to go back through the thread and see what I need and if I should pull the trigger on some dvd's off of craigslist.

Quick question

Is it okay to supplement the Leg/Back workout with Chest/Back instead?

My legs get a pretty good workout with Plyo/Kenpo

thoughts?

After losing 15 pounds to start off the year, I got lazy again and put 10 back on, after seeing my most recent beach pics - I'm starting this up again after our vacation. :eek:

Into week 3. Dunno if I look buff-er, but I certainly feel like it.

Question, I have been getting heartburn since I started this (not just during the exercises, but various times throughout the day). Is that normal? :lmao:

Into week 3. Dunno if I look buff-er, but I certainly feel like it.Question, I have been getting heartburn since I started this (not just during the exercises, but various times throughout the day). Is that normal? :rolleyes:
I have had no problems with heartburn...........are you doing the diet too?Side note: I've got my wife doing the lean workout............she's in her 3rd day, and she's loving it(way to go baby)-just in case you're reading this.

Any good cheaper replacements for the protein bars and recovery shakes?

I literally know nothing about things like whey protein and such other than they exist and people use them when weight training etc, but I dont really understand them. Basically just what has worked for people while going through p90x.

TIA

Any good cheaper replacements for the protein bars and recovery shakes?I literally know nothing about things like whey protein and such other than they exist and people use them when weight training etc, but I dont really understand them. Basically just what has worked for people while going through p90x.TIA
I used the Cliff Builder Bars (not normal cliff bars.. less carbs/more protein), and Designer Whey protein + fat-free milk. Tastes good and did the job for me.After your workouts chocolate milk works as a recovery drink.

I'm starting this on Monday.

Just need to finish getting all the food. Costco has Muscle Milk shakes on sale and 2 for 1 on some Power Bars (with their coupons). Seems close enough to the stuff they sell and should work for recovery or the in between meals.

Anyone ever tried accelerade? Just something I found while looking around and apparently has the 4:1 ratio that they say is important. Just wondering if there are any reviews on that stuff from anyone here.

http://www.accelerade.com/

I'm starting this on Monday. Just need to finish getting all the food. Costco has Muscle Milk shakes on sale and 2 for 1 on some Power Bars (with their coupons). Seems close enough to the stuff they sell and should work for recovery or the in between meals.
Just an FYI... energy bars do not = protein bars. If I'm not mistaken Power Bars are not much other than a #### ton of carbs.

Balance said:
I'm starting this on Monday. Just need to finish getting all the food. Costco has Muscle Milk shakes on sale and 2 for 1 on some Power Bars (with their coupons). Seems close enough to the stuff they sell and should work for recovery or the in between meals.
Just an FYI... energy bars do not = protein bars. If I'm not mistaken Power Bars are not much other than a #### ton of carbs.
Yeah I noticed that but I compared it to the bars P90X sell and it was about the same carbs but a bit less protein.

The protein bars and shakes are a waste of money for those doing this program. If you need to lose weight, then you don't need the bars and shakes. If your thin and looking to pack on muscle then P90X isn't what you want, look into strength building programs like High Intensity Training (HIT) and those used by powerlifters. With the thin body you won't need bars and shakes till you have put on a lot of muscle. P90x is predominately a cardio program.

Users who are viewing this thread