What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Panthers vs Packers - Week 10 (1 Viewer)

We know your history. 

Most would just say thank you and enjoy the win.  You'll argue the obvious.
I actually saw the same thing...if anything the packers tried to gift it to the panthers with the couple offsides/encroachment penalties on the last couple plays. I know CMC is a stud but maybe the panthers shoulda looked at giving someone else a shot instead of trying to force it to him, packers were ready for that and that’s all the panthers tried to do

Sorry if repost and did not read all the previous posts.... but the Panthers got hozed by the officials!  A Sack of A Rodgers in the End Zone (and he throws it away for Intentional Grounding) only to have the blind zebra over rule his collegue and call Personal Foul/ Roughing the Passer ("majority of weight landed on QB" - but wait replay clearly showed the DL (Addison?) Shoulder hit the ground NEXT TO AR)...  Should have been a Safety & flip the game script.   2 Points & the Ball before the half would have changed the game completely! 

Granted I was off visiting my son at college & watching game in bar...  no audio, but the officials were terrible in that game! 

Sorry if repost and did not read all the previous posts.... but the Panthers got hozed by the officials!  A Sack of A Rodgers in the End Zone (and he throws it away for Intentional Grounding) only to have the blind zebra over rule his collegue and call Personal Foul/ Roughing the Passer ("majority of weight landed on QB" - but wait replay clearly showed the DL (Addison?) Shoulder hit the ground NEXT TO AR)...  Should have been a Safety & flip the game script.   2 Points & the Ball before the half would have changed the game completely! 

Granted I was off visiting my son at college & watching game in bar...  no audio, but the officials were terrible in that game! 
It wasmt a sack and it wasn’t intentional grounding at all.  But it was a bad call

Congrats to the sane Packer fans.  Game was closer than I thought it would be against an offense as strong as yours.

It wasmt a sack and it wasn’t intentional grounding at all.  But it was a bad call
So being in the grasp, on the way to the ground (End Zone no less), he chucks it at the feet of the lineman adding that the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage and he was still within the Tackles?  What would you call it?  The Zebra's had Rodgers on their fantasty team?  or their opponent had the CAR Def?  Either way, those officials did make some blantantly bad calls that determined the outcome of the game.  

So being in the grasp, on the way to the ground (End Zone no less), he chucks it at the feet of the lineman adding that the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage and he was still within the Tackles?  What would you call it?  The Zebra's had Rodgers on their fantasty team?  or their opponent had the CAR Def?  Either way, those officials did make some blantantly bad calls that determined the outcome of the game.  
A.  He wasn't on the way to the ground.  One defender had him, the other wasn't grasping him yet.  Not in control, not in danger to blow the whistle.  If that is in the grasp enough for a sack, they will have to change the rules and have a lot of pissed off people.    This is not "in the grasp".    I can't find the exact rule in the book...but its quoted here as "The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.”  Rodgers safety was not in jeopardy nor was he going down.

B.  It was not at the feet of the lineman.  You can clearly see here that it is toward Jamaal Williams...a receiver in the vicinity.  So, not getting to the LOS doesn't matter at all...nor does between the tackles.

What I would call it?  Is yet another example of many of bad officiating especially with the roughing the passer penalty.  It has happened over and over and over in this league.  Not sure what other blatantly bad calls determined the game...

How in the world did it determine the game?
It was a close game before half (14-10 Packers lead)...  The Safety (Intentional Grounding in End Zone = Safety) was 2 points and the ball.  Instead, Packers got 1st down at 20 yard line and moved down the field....  they did not score, but it would have been a shift of the momentum 180 Degrees! 

A.  He wasn't on the way to the ground.  One defender had him, the other wasn't grasping him yet.  Not in control, not in danger to blow the whistle.  If that is in the grasp enough for a sack, they will have to change the rules and have a lot of pissed off people.    This is not "in the grasp".    I can't find the exact rule in the book...but its quoted here as "The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.”  Rodgers safety was not in jeopardy nor was he going down.

B.  It was not at the feet of the lineman.  You can clearly see here that it is toward Jamaal Williams...a receiver in the vicinity.  So, not getting to the LOS doesn't matter at all...nor does between the tackles.

What I would call it?  Is yet another example of many of bad officiating especially with the roughing the passer penalty.  It has happened over and over and over in this league.  Not sure what other blatantly bad calls determined the game...
While I admit I was in a non-audio area (BAR), but thanks for the clips. Good evidence in the films!   I still believe it was Intentional Grounding.. he threw it away to avoid a sack/safety.... And I agree the officials are really controlling the outcome of games with bad calls.  This is just another example.  

Thanks for providing the info! 

While I admit I was in a non-audio area (BAR), but thanks for the clips. Good evidence in the films!   I still believe it was Intentional Grounding.. he threw it away to avoid a sack/safety.... And I agree the officials are really controlling the outcome of games with bad calls.  This is just another example.  

Absolutely not grounding.  Aikman even pointed out Williams in the area.  Terrible roughing the pass call I agree.  The refs also missed a clear intentional grounding on the Panthers last drive where Allen was clearly in the pocket and shot putted the ball with no receiver in the area.  It was mentioned during the broadcast as a missed call.

Must be exhausting having to defend this every other game.

Must be exhausting having to defend this every other game.
I don't feel the need most of the time.  Bad calls happen...even this one.

But when its just things that are shown to be not true (like in the grasp, or ball at the lineman's feet)...yeah, thats pretty bad.

There is a receiver (RB) near where the ball is thrown.  That has never been grounding and never will be grounding.  That is for the QB's safety.

Zow said:
y did appreciate the announcer pointing out that McCoy’s technique should be used as a training video for what to do. 
Yes, when as a defensive tackle you are heads up and watch the Q.B. throw the ball, by all means take a step, wrap him up, take another step and drive him to the ground landing with at least 3/4 of your fat ### weight on him.  By all means don't pull up knowing that the ball is gone.  just keep coming and make affirmative effort to lay a wallop on the guy after the football play has passed you bye. 

Compare that to the roughing the passer call on the Packers.  The Packer idiot, Lancaster was it, landed his hand on the Q.b.'s head, no question, but his head did not even move.  By rule a penalty.  They probably should call it 15 yards for having #### for brains instead of roughing, but good call.  Now see what Rodgers absorbed.  Which would you rather your Q.B. take?  If the one is roughing so is the other.

You could also look at the offensive pass interference call against the Packers and compare it to the non-call against Moore on the final drive, a one hand push off compared to a two handed shove.  Or you could watch the Packers get two penalties down on the goal line to keep Carolina's hopes alive.  I am not saying they were not penalties, but the first was called about 8 seconds late and th second, in a row, well sort of weak.  If your thesis was remotely true those would have gone elsewise.  No, the Vikes don't get to ##### about penalties after putting Rodgers out a few years back on a cheap and unpenalized paly.  Likewise the Bears.  Now the Lions fans, they have every right to feel robbed this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Birdie048 said:

So, obviously you know nothing of football.  Thanks for posting with your thoughts though.

Birdie048 said:
So, you have no idea what in the grasp is, and you do not recognize that the Q.B. when his arm is hit, does not have the ball go where intended.  When the arm is hit the rule about a receiver in the vicinity or the line of scrimmage is out the window since, well, the pass is partially blocked.

Maybe you are like Forrest Gump, at least you know what love is.

So, obviously you know nothing of football.  Thanks for posting with your thoughts though.
And I agree, it was not in the grasp, nor roughing the passer... so it should not have been a flag on either team.  But it did impact the game and resulted in a momentum shift.  

The constant whining does get tiring, but I think it just comes with being a successful team. 
I think the expiration date on commenting has not passed for Detroit fans, but the rest, yeah nothing but sour grapes.  The thesis that the Packers get all of the calls fails when one remembers replay was instituted after the San Fran game when they got another chance after a blown call.  The replacement refs were replaced after a blown call inuring to the Packers detriment.  The new emphasis on Q.B. safety was instituted after a no call and Rodgers out in a year where they Packers were off to a great start.  Do they get some calls, sure, all teams do.  Do they get jobbed, sure, all teams do.  The whining, well that is an indictment of the whiner, except, as I said, the Lions fans.  It takes a while to recover from getting jobbed so they get dispensation for a while.

Yes, when as a defensive tackle you are heads up and watch the Q.B. throw the ball, by all means take a step, wrap him up, take another step and drive him to the ground landing with at least 3/4 of your fat ### weight on him.  By all means don't pull up knowing that the ball is gone.  just keep coming and make affirmative effort to lay a wallop on the guy after the football play has passed you bye. 
You need to take your swiss cheese glasses off if you think he could have pulled up on that play. 

The better team won. More upset that the Packers let them come back. Sometimes I feel like the defense takes too many breaks. Sometimes Kevin King looks completely indifferent.

You need to take your swiss cheese glasses off if you think he could have pulled up on that play. 
Sorry, you are wrong.  I did not say stop in his tracks, just pull up, as in not continue charging forward, wrapping the man up after he saw the ball come out, and then driving him to the ground.  Had he run into him a bit while pulling his arms back that would have been fine.  It would have been fine even if Rodgers went sprawling.  Had he been tripped it would have been fine had he landed on Rodgers. What was not fine was seeing the play, taking another step forward , pushing through a 300 pound man to do so, wrapping Rodgers up and then forcing him to the ground with most, albeit not all, of his weight landing on him. 

BTW, I remember your perception of this call and two others also against Matthews.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=clay+matthews+roughing+calls&view=detail&mid=4AFF4AA189938AB2E1994AFF4AA189938AB2E199&FORM=VIRE

Sorry, you are wrong.  I did not say stop in his tracks, just pull up, as in not continue charging forward, wrapping the man up after he saw the ball come out, and then driving him to the ground.  Had he run into him a bit while pulling his arms back that would have been fine.  It would have been fine even if Rodgers went sprawling.  Had he been tripped it would have been fine had he landed on Rodgers. What was not fine was seeing the play, taking another step forward , pushing through a 300 pound man to do so, wrapping Rodgers up and then forcing him to the ground with most, albeit not all, of his weight landing on him. 

BTW, I remember your perception of this call and two others also against Matthews.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=clay+matthews+roughing+calls&view=detail&mid=4AFF4AA189938AB2E1994AFF4AA189938AB2E199&FORM=VIRE
WTF

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/gerald-mccoy-roughing-the-passer-aaron-rodgers/523011

Rodgers has ball in hand at 4 sec mark

Ball comes out around 4.5 sec mark

Mccoy is touching Rodgers with both hands before the 5 sec mark

I appreciate the perspective of those who are wrong, it affirms my belief about my fellow travelers.  BTW, the authority from the article you site has this to say about himself 

Christian D'Andrea

NFL Writer

Christian began his SB Nation career covering his alma mater at Anchor of Gold. This gave him the chance to report on Vanderbilt football, women's bowling, and all the things we should be more ashamed of than the first entry on this list. This led to stints with SB Nation's college football coverage and a place on the news desk before transitioning to a full-time role reporting and analyzing the NFL. He is originally from Rhode Island and was once called a dip#### by Blake Bortles Uncle.

Me, I'll take my 55+ years of watching and playing over the guy who covered women's bowling and Vanderbilt football.  

Users who are viewing this thread