What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paris (1 Viewer)

ex-ghost

Footballguy
Headed out on a vacation to Spain to visit our daughter who is on a quarter abroad. Part of the trip is a 10 hour layover in Paris. I've been researching what to do in the 5ish hours that we can be in the city. General plan is to hang out and take in the sights, maybe take a one hour boat ride on the Seine. One thing my wife really wants to do is find a cafe and watch the sights. We plan on taking the train to the Notre Dame stop. Any suggestions on a great cafe that is close by where we can watch Paris come and go?

Les Deux Magots is pretty close, I went there for breakfast everyday when I was there

I’m no Paris expert though, but I think that would fit what you are looking for

Sounds like you want to take an RER train from CDG into the city and then back to CDG.  I suggest that you travel light and don't have a roll aboard during that 10 hour period. 

RER can sometimes be maddeningly slow. As you get into the airport, try and see if there are delays in that line into the city.   You can always take a taxi there or back. 

As for a cafe, eh, IMO they're all kinda the same.  I don't have a rec. There is a good ice cream place near Notre Dame (ile saint louis i think) if the weather is nice.  Just looked it... Berthillon.

I do like doing brunch in the Latin quarter and I think the food there is some of the best in the city for walk up eating. 

I think Paris is the most beautiful city in the world.  Do say bonjour, bon soire, and ask "parle vous anglais?" if you don't speak French.  It goes a long way toward Parisians being nice to tourists.  I've been maybe 5x and only once has someone been rude to me even though I don't speak French.

We took the train from London to Paris for a day trip so we had a few more hours.  As soon as we arrived we took a taxi to the Eiffel Tower and had timed tickets.  Then we took a taxi to Notre Dame.  After visiting we walked around and had dinner at a restaurant with outdoor tables.  We walked around the outside of the Louvre and then got a taxi back to the train station.  It was a busy day, but well worth it.

Sounds like you want to take an RER train from CDG into the city and then back to CDG.  I suggest that you travel light and don't have a roll aboard during that 10 hour period. 

RER can sometimes be maddeningly slow. As you get into the airport, try and see if there are delays in that line into the city.   You can always take a taxi there or back. 

As for a cafe, eh, IMO they're all kinda the same.  I don't have a rec. There is a good ice cream place near Notre Dame (ile saint louis i think) if the weather is nice.  Just looked it... Berthillon.

I do like doing brunch in the Latin quarter and I think the food there is some of the best in the city for walk up eating. 

I think Paris is the most beautiful city in the world.  Do say bonjour, bon soire, and ask "parle vous anglais?" if you don't speak French.  It goes a long way toward Parisians being nice to tourists.  I've been maybe 5x and only once has someone been rude to me even though I don't speak French.
Thanks Z. Yes, taking the RER, baggage checked through. We have 11 hours total, hence the 4-5 hour time period in the city. I have no intention of just making it in time for our next flight! Thanks for the recommendations.

paris is my favorite "big city," but I never had target restaurants when I have visited. My best experiences were finding bistros, etc while wandering.  I understand that you do not have disposable time. 

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds ambitious. If you’re already planning on the ND stop, walk into the Latin quarter and find a cafe.  Sit and relax. The subway is easy to navigate if that’s your thing. You can also get a taxi.  I’d go to the Eiffel Tower and walk about.  Hour or so at the cafe, getting to the Eiffel Tower 30 minutes?  Eiffel Tower walk about 1ish hour. Then perhaps to the l’arc de triomphe and the champs de elysee. Eat/drink at this point. :shrug:  Return to airport.  I would probably taxi back, to ensure timing. 

i regret never getting around to Paris. my first time there, as a trekker in the mid 70s, i made the mistake of speaking French. i had Quebecquois relatives, was good in French class (including immersion trips) and thought i had a handle on it but it turns out the only thing Parisiens hated more than Americans was Americans who tried to speak French. they chased me out of Gay Paree and ive been a Mediterraneanist ever since. i regretted that later on, but my Mary never wanted to go there and, by the time she died, i was locked in to a trad job and couldnt do the "maybe days, maybe wks, maybe months" i prefer for exploring new terrain.

I love greeting people with bon soire and just having them respond to me in English :lol:

Headed out on a vacation to Spain to visit our daughter who is on a quarter abroad. Part of the trip is a 10 hour layover in Paris. I've been researching what to do in the 5ish hours that we can be in the city. General plan is to hang out and take in the sights, maybe take a one hour boat ride on the Seine. One thing my wife really wants to do is find a cafe and watch the sights. We plan on taking the train to the Notre Dame stop. Any suggestions on a great cafe that is close by where we can watch Paris come and go?
Your time is very short so a boat ride like you mention is probably ideal to see the sights.  For cafes, something like Angelina Paris if you like sweets or really anything along the Trocadero for people watching. I really like the area around Sacre Coure but you really don't have time.

paris is my favorite "big city," but I never had target restaurants when I have visited. My best experiences were finding bistros, etc while wondering.  I understand that you do not have disposable time. 

Enjoy
Yeah, I think that we will plan on wandering and if a boat ride sounds good and we have time, we will do it. I am a super planner for vacations, so just hanging kind of kills me, but for 5 hours I think we lounge, walk and take in the sights. We can think of coming back for a longer trip later. 

I wouldn't waste time at the effiel tower.  It's cool and all and has great views but you don't have time for any of that, nor the crowds. 

Same for the Louve or any other museum.

I would probably check out the gourmet food section of a fancy dept store if I had the time and was paying by. 

I wouldn't waste time at the effiel tower.  It's cool and all and has great views but you don't have time for any of that, nor the crowds. 

Same for the Louve or any other museum.

I would probably check out the gourmet food section of a fancy dept store if I had the time and was paying by. 
Agreed. It looks like another form of transportation is needed to see the Eiffel Tower with the little time we have and honestly, it is something that I really don't need to see. Hell, I will just be super excited to be in Paris.

Not sure how it fits with the timing of getting around in such a short period, but my favorite place in Paris is Sacré-Coeur and Quartier Montmartre. It has the best views of the city and there are lot's places to eat and drink up there.

I've been lucky to spend time in Paris on three different occasions. Z Machine pretty much nailed it in his first post. 

That's a decent amount of time. I'd say while visiting ND, wander around the Latin Quarter and find a cafe. You can cross over and see the outside of the Louvre. If time permits and the lines aren't crazy, maybe check out the Musee d'Orsay and you could still get to walk around the Eiffel.

I love Paris. I could definitely live there.

ex-ghost said:
Agreed. It looks like another form of transportation is needed to see the Eiffel Tower with the little time we have and honestly, it is something that I really don't need to see. Hell, I will just be super excited to be in Paris.
i had it in my suggestion because there's a really nice park to walk around and across the river is beautiful as well.  also gets you closer to the l'arc de triomphe. :shrug:  

the outside of the louvre is lack luster.  the pyramid is cool.   i found the park heading towards the champs from the louvre to be pretty sketchy.  lotta homeless/drug use.  this was a few years ago, so maybe it's changed.

jamny said:
That's a decent amount of time. I'd say while visiting ND, wander around the Latin Quarter and find a cafe. You can cross over and see the outside of the Louvre. If time permits and the lines aren't crazy, maybe check out the Musee d'Orsay and you could still get to walk around the Eiffel.

I love Paris. I could definitely live there.
I love all of this, but not for only a few hours in the city. 

i had it in my suggestion because there's a really nice park to walk around and across the river is beautiful as well.  also gets you closer to the l'arc de triomphe. :shrug:  

the outside of the louvre is lack luster.  the pyramid is cool.   i found the park heading towards the champs from the louvre to be pretty sketchy.  lotta homeless/drug use.  this was a few years ago, so maybe it's changed.
IIRC, there's a park across the Seine... on the same side of the river as l'arc de triomphe... where you get great views of the Eiffel tower. don't need to actually go there to see and experience it.

are you talking about tuileries?

for my money, the Louvre outside is for another trip when they can go inside.

IIRC, there's a park across the Seine... on the same side of the river as l'arc de triomphe... where you get great views of the Eiffel tower. don't need to actually go there to see and experience it.

are you talking about tuileries?

for my money, the Louvre outside is for another trip when they can go inside.
yes to all.  and i agree.  we didn't go up the eiffel tower.  just admired it from afar.  the best pics are from the bridge that leads to the beautiful park across the river.

Probably right but I'm just going by our usual travels where we can be like a whirlwind. Walk past the Louvre and Eiffel, 15 minutes for each. Kinda like the Griswolds at the Grand Canyon. Rather spend the time people watching at an outdoor cafe, having some wine.

The bateaux mouche boat tours are tres touristy but it's a quick and relaxing way to see the sites along the Seine.  They're a lot better than the horrible big buses.

You don't have much time especially when you factor in the travel time.  I'd save everything that's not close to the train station for another visit.

Yeah, you're talking about the Jardins du Trocadéro and I agree. Wouldn't think the arch is a must see.

Any thoughts on the Pace de la Concorde? Seems like a nice walk from Notre Dame, at least from behind my keyboard. Worth it as a wandering place?

Yeah, you're talking about the Jardins du Trocadéro and I agree. Wouldn't think the arch is a must see.
agree about L'arc... I've made that trip twice... and it felt like a long haul and unnecessary each time. and you end up standing in the middle of a very busy round about in a not very interesting neighborhood (from my memory... it's been 10 years almost to the day since I last went).

Any thoughts on the Pace de la Concorde? Seems like a nice walk from Notre Dame, at least from behind my keyboard. Worth it as a wandering place?

Luxembourg Gardens is another great option that's closer to Notre Dame than the Place de la Concorde. It's one of my favorite places in the city.

Luxembourg has it's own RER station one stop past St. Michel which makes it a good starting or end point for your day. 

I always recommend starting at the Arc De Triomphe and walking down Champ Elysees past the shops to Place De La Concorde, through the Tuileries, and to the Louvre.

It's a fairly long walk but you see a lot of sites all on one walk.

The Arc has a metro stop too, so it's easy to get to as a starting point.

I always recommend starting at the Arc De Triomphe and walking down Champ Elysees past the shops to Place De La Concorde, through the Tuileries, and to the Louvre.

Agree with this. If you have limited time and want to see the heart of Paris, this is a good way to go.

Mr. Mojo said:

this is what the wife and i did.  the champs is a nice walk                                                      

Another option is to rent a bike and see a lot more of the street life.  I've never done it, but I've heard that Paris has invested a lot on bicycle infrastructure. 

I prefer the smaller streets in the more central portion and left bank.  I've seen l'arc maybe once and was like... meh.
I don’t disagree and prefer the same. The wife had never been and that walk checked off nearly every site.  Including the Louis Vuitton store :rolleyes:  we walked all the way to Norte dame. 

We stayed on ave rapp and were close the the Eiffel.  We spent the rest of time wandering the streets and various neighborhoods 

Users who are viewing this thread