What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pete Carroll to the Seahawks (1 Viewer)

Gotta feel for the guy. No matter what he does or has done, he will mostly be remembered for the worst call in NFL history.

Say what you want Carroll but you had nothing to do with it. No idea why he is protecting Bevell. The guy simply should be fired.

So we have a guy who makes the dumbest play call in the history of the NFL in the biggest game and he's still the offensive coordinator. Another fine example of horrible coaching allowed to continue. The smart move is to make an example of this guy if you want to run an organization. Stupidity is not to be tolerated.
Shouldn't Carroll have to assume some responsibility as the head coach? Can't he hear the play call coming in? If he believes it's an absurd play call, can't he veto it? I understand he lets his coordinators handle the play calling but if there is one spot for him to step in and veto, wouldn't this be it?

Gotta feel for the guy. No matter what he does or has done, he will mostly be remembered for the worst call in NFL history.
I don't feel for him at all. People whine about how the Pats are "cheaters", but I don't recall the Pats having an issue with rampant PED infractions. Carroll seems like an arrogant jerkoff. Glad he will be remembered for this.

I remember a comment during the game about how the offensive line would pile into the back of Lynch as he was breaking tackles to push him forward. I immediately recognized that as a Carroll taught "questionable" method. It was the same cheat he used to get Reggie Bush across the goal line vs Notre Dame.

fred_1_15301 said:
Say what you want Carroll but you had nothing to do with it. No idea why he is protecting Bevell. The guy simply should be fired.

So we have a guy who makes the dumbest play call in the history of the NFL in the biggest game and he's still the offensive coordinator. Another fine example of horrible coaching allowed to continue. The smart move is to make an example of this guy if you want to run an organization. Stupidity is not to be tolerated.
Shouldn't Carroll have to assume some responsibility as the head coach? Can't he hear the play call coming in? If he believes it's an absurd play call, can't he veto it? I understand he lets his coordinators handle the play calling but if there is one spot for him to step in and veto, wouldn't this be it?
If he knew what the play call was, definitely.

fred_1_15301 said:

If he knew what the play call was, definitely.
Yes and that's why I asked "Can't he hear the play call coming in" through his headset?

Poor Petey...His hopes were crushed twice at almost the same exact moment in both his Championship losses.

2006 Rose Bowl, Vince scores with :19 left

2014 Super Bowl XLIX, Wilson Throws pick with :20 left

39 seconds from being 5-0 in career championships.

:thumbup:

I thought the Carroll to Seattle was just a sick joke on already suffering Seahawk fans. When does this lunacy come to an end. We have gone from a potential hall of fame coach in Holmgren to Pete effin' Carroll in just one year. Todd Leiweke is another moron who needs to be expunged from this organization. Why is a ticket salesman in charge of hiring head coaches and team presidents?

What the F**k has Pete Carroll ever done to deserve the position of team president in the NFL?
Quality assessment. 

Regardless of how I once felt about this hire once upon a time, I'm damn glad we have Carroll here in Seattle. He gets his players to play hard. He gets them to play for each other.
Still feel the same way. Even more so after watching his press conference from last night (6-6 OT game vs. Arizona). Contrast that with the Arians press conference. Carroll has love in his heart for this players. Trusts them and cares for them. Get's them to play for each other. They're a family. Arians was ready to throw his kicker under the bus. Who would you want to play for?

This one surprises me. I've always thought he was a good coach and I thought Seattle performed above my expectations of them this season.

On these coaches contracts I wonder, and maybe it’s based on the individual contract, but can the coach be re-assigned instead of getting fired as a means to not owe the coach his remaining pay?

I wonder in this in the context of Carroll and if this is what he wanted vs forced. If forced would think he’s an available candidate.

Seattle is interesting because while they made the playoffs in 2022 and didn't in 2023, I think the 2023 team was better. Seattle is a rebuilding team that is mostly young across the board other than QB, and Lockett I guess.

I think Seattle is easily the most appealing job opening now.

Seattle is interesting because while they made the playoffs in 2022 and didn't in 2023, I think the 2023 team was better. Seattle is a rebuilding team that is mostly young across the board other than QB, and Lockett I guess.

I could see Harbaugh coming in

I could see Harbaugh coming in
I’m betting Dan Quinn. Hate it as a Boys fan, but he’s a great fit for there.

It's a good job, a lot of young talent, but I'd rate it under the Atlanta job mainly because of the massive disparity in head coaching talent in the two divisions.

Scott Barrett

@ScottBarrettDFB

My favorite part of the Pete Carroll-era was the entire analytics community hating him and calling for his head because he wouldn't "let Russ cook". Pete instead trades Russ for a king's ransom, Denver lets Russ cook, and then Russ morphs into a bottom-5 QB without Pete. Pete then gets Russ-equivalent levels of production / efficiency from Geno Smith who started 5 career games from 2015-2021 and was best remembered for having his jaw broken by a teammate

I thought he was a good coach and did well with that team this year. I don't get it if he was forced out. Someone should snatch him up. Seattle is stupid.

I thought he was a good coach and did well with that team this year. I don't get it if he was forced out. Someone should snatch him up. Seattle is stupid.

He’s the type of guy a team like the Panthers or Commanders should be looking at. Someone with the gravitas and experience to actually build an ethos and a culture through the club. But they will no doubt go for an in vogue play caller instead

Scott Barrett
@ScottBarrettDFB

My favorite part of the Pete Carroll-era was the entire analytics community hating him and calling for his head because he wouldn't "let Russ cook". Pete instead trades Russ for a king's ransom, Denver lets Russ cook, and then Russ morphs into a bottom-5 QB without Pete. Pete then gets Russ-equivalent levels of production / efficiency from Geno Smith who started 5 career games from 2015-2021 and was best remembered for having his jaw broken by a teammate
I don't think this is accurate. To me, the phrase "Let Russ cook" means let him freelance and make plays outside the pocket. I thought Denver did the opposite. They tried to fit him into two offensive systems that don't fit his freelancing playing style. When he was most successful in Seattle was when Pete did let him cook.

It's a good job, a lot of young talent, but I'd rate it under the Atlanta job mainly because of the massive disparity in head coaching talent in the two divisions.
That's a good point. It feels weird to say, but Todd Bowles being by far the best HC in a division is a pretty big selling point.

Interesting to see some of the takes from back in 2010.

"What the F**k has Pete Carroll ever done to deserve the position of team president in the NFL?"

I don't think this is accurate. To me, the phrase "Let Russ cook" means let him freelance and make plays outside the pocket. I thought Denver did the opposite. They tried to fit him into two offensive systems that don't fit his freelancing playing style. When he was most successful in Seattle was when Pete did let him cook.

It was, Russ isn't throwing enough, build the team around his game, instead of defense and running game, like Carroll did.

Pete can now spend as much time as he wants investigating whether 9/11 was real or an inside job (he actually wonders about this—aloud). But Seattle probably won't be punting from the opponent's 45 on fourth and one next year, and we have that to be thankful for.

Good coach, weird/poor moral compass, gum chomper, not the greatest citizen in the country.

Scott Barrett
@ScottBarrettDFB

Let Russ Cook meant let Russell pass more

No matter how slimy I think he is for how he left USC, I still have to give him respect for what he did in Seattle. They always seemed to be competitive under him.

Scott Barrett

@ScottBarrettDFB

Successful coach. Clearly was good at what he did.

Will never get past seeing him vigorously celebrate their “victory” in the Fail Mary game. He should have been ashamed, as that call was an embarrassment to the NFL.

Interesting to me that BB and Carroll both fired from NFL HC jobs, Carroll twice.
It's crazy to me how the 3 70+ year old coaches all went out within 24 hours of each other with apparently only Saban by choice.

Also crazy how at one point in their careers Carroll was replaced by Saban and Bill and now all out about the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread