What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peterson charged with reckless or negligent injury to a child? (1 Viewer)

Kirby Puckett beat children? Kirby Puckett's problems went public during his playing career? What PR decision are you thinking the Twins faced?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the "this is an over reaction" crowd. Not sure if it's been brought up here, but the CBS article is pretty damning. The guy has a "whooping room", this wasn't an isolated case. The 4 year was afraid of saying anything so Daddy Peterson wouldn't punch him in the face. There's the text message from Peterson telling the mom he "got him in the nuts", and "tearing that butt up when needed". The guy is toast.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/
This is an over reaction. There is nothing damning in that article that indicates child abuse.
Accidentally whipping a child's genitals and leaving a mark - in addition to the rest of the lacerations, etc - is going to get him under the reckless standard.
I made this point in the Shark Pool thread, but he was only reckless if he didn't have concern that this would happen. If he's used a switch many times without this result that he can rightly claim that he wasn't being reckless and instead it was an accident.
Disagree. He admits this branch was different and he failed to realize it was longer and whipping around the side and back of the kid.
Key words: "failed to realize" a.k.a. negligent...not intentionally abusive like everyone in here is trying to paint him as.
But still guilty under a child abuse statute in Texas. And that's what he admits to.
Texas has a child abuse statute. Its not reckless or negligent injury to a child.
Texas Penal Code 22.04 deals with injury to a child, a disabled person, or an elderly person. It is an elder abuse, disabled abuse and child abuse statute. One subsection deals with reckless or negligent injury.It is the statute he was charged under.

You are seriously underestimating the amount of the NFL fanbase for whom Peterson's actions are at worst somewhat over the line.
You may also be discounting what a "vocal minority" can do and that this will likely stretch way outside the actual NFL fan demographics, just like the Rice case. I'll also add that I don't think the people against beating a 4 year old would be a minority in this country, continent, or world.
The average guy is burnt out on the NFL...they have used up their outrage on Rice and Goodell. Its almost a positve to the league to get all this ugliness and acrimony out in the open in one fell swoop.

You are seriously underestimating the amount of the NFL fanbase for whom Peterson's actions are at worst somewhat over the line.
Without getting into negative regional stereotypes, I can assure you that in the state where the Vikings do business, that attitude is NOT prevalent. So factor that into your evaluation of the PR decision facing the Vikings.
Huh? There are a ton of well-educated liberals in the TC. Minnesota is fairly progressive socially. I don't think you are reading that right.

Kirby Puckett beat children? Kirby Puckett's problems went public during his playing career? What PR decision are you thinking the Twins faced?
The bottom line is, fans are fans of winning first and foremost and AP helps the Vikes do that. Just as Kirby won two world series and never really suffered despite meanacing women.

There is no PR battle to be won because fans can spin and justify things in their own head, short of being an Aaron Hernandez type.

The funniest idiots on here are the ones that say spankings and corporal punishment is perfectly fine, as long as no bruises or visible marks result from it. In other words, pain caused doesn't really matter, only outward appearance does.

Any time you spank, switch, or cane a child, there's going to be a huge risk of bruising or temporary skin damage. That is dumb to use as an indicator or whether it crosses the line or not. It's simply luck of the draw/particular person's tendency to bruise etc., that may determine the outward damage. One kid spanked twice as hard could show no signs of bruising compared to somebody who shows a ton of bruising and spanked with half the force.

It's just idiotic to think corporal punishment is ok unless skin damage can be seen. The problem is corporal punishment being legal. Period.
Sorry you were spanked as a kid. You sound just like the media to how you refer to spanking as "corporal punishment." No, its just a spanking. Try to get a rise much? AP should be in jail for his crimes, someone spanking their kids bottom does not compare to Peterson.

Meanwhile, I guess you think its OK to insult people but not spank them? Interesting POV.

Without getting into negative regional stereotypes, I can assure you that in the state where the Vikings do business, that attitude is NOT prevalent. So factor that into your evaluation of the PR decision facing the Vikings.
Huh? There are a ton of well-educated liberals in the TC. Minnesota is fairly progressive socially. I don't think you are reading that right.
That was his point.

If his name were not Adrian Peterson, would anyone care? That is the sadness in all this. Domestic and child abuse is now taking a national stand because it effects our fantasy teams, not because it was an important issue before. Let that sink in a moment. Some, not all, now care because it effects them. Upsetting.

He left physical scars on his kid, how can that be defended? By anyone. This wasnt spankings or discipline, it was abuse of parental power on a 4 year old defenseless child. The child should be protected and shown right from wrong by their parents, not physically hurt. I spank my daughter on the bottom with my hand but its more of a pat not a full on spank. It is not intended to inflict pain but show that I am disappointed in what she did if her action warranted it. I am not the worlds best parent and will never claim to be, that being said, I can reasonably say any kid that suffers punishment that leaves scares emotionally or physically is suffering abuse.
So if an unknown 4 year old kid showed up in in child care or school with whip marks all over the backs of his legs you don't think anyone would care about it?

It wouldn't be national news but it would be addressed locally.

The funniest idiots on here are the ones that say spankings and corporal punishment is perfectly fine, as long as no bruises or visible marks result from it. In other words, pain caused doesn't really matter, only outward appearance does.

Any time you spank, switch, or cane a child, there's going to be a huge risk of bruising or temporary skin damage. That is dumb to use as an indicator or whether it crosses the line or not. It's simply luck of the draw/particular person's tendency to bruise etc., that may determine the outward damage. One kid spanked twice as hard could show no signs of bruising compared to somebody who shows a ton of bruising and spanked with half the force.

It's just idiotic to think corporal punishment is ok unless skin damage can be seen. The problem is corporal punishment being legal. Period.
Sorry you were spanked as a kid. You sound just like the media to how you refer to spanking as "corporal punishment." No, its just a spanking. Try to get a rise much? AP should be in jail for his crimes, someone spanking their kids bottom does not compare to Peterson.

You're right. But somebody else who legally uses a switch to discipline their child does compare to peterson pretty directly. I'd like to see somebody who is adept enough at that to whip a child's skin without leaving a mark.

As I said, the problem isn't Peterson, it's that whipping a child with a stick is legal anywhere in the first place. Please learn that. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I guess you think its OK to insult people but not spank them? Interesting POV.
I do not have children so I don't have any empirical evidence, but there are plenty of studies that show "corporal punishment" isn't effective and may also cause more problems than it solves.

:shrug:

Apparently he has been reaching out in an effort to play elsewhere anyway. If the Vikings want to cut AP I'm sure that won't be a problem for him.

You're right. But somebody else who legally uses a switch to discipline their child does compare to peterson pretty directly. I'd like to see somebody who is adept enough at that to whip a child's skin without leaving a mark.

As I said, the problem isn't Peterson, it's that whipping a child with a stick is legal anywhere in the first place. Please learn that. Thanks.
Thank you, someone who gets it.

It is the statute he was charged under.
Texas Penal Code 22.04 deals with injury to a child, a disabled person, or an elderly person. It is an elder abuse, disabled abuse and child abuse statute. One subsection deals with reckless or negligent injury.
PENAL CODE

TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON

CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES

If his name were not Adrian Peterson, would anyone care? That is the sadness in all this. Domestic and child abuse is now taking a national stand because it effects our fantasy teams, not because it was an important issue before. Let that sink in a moment. Some, not all, now care because it effects them. Upsetting.

He left physical scars on his kid, how can that be defended? By anyone. This wasnt spankings or discipline, it was abuse of parental power on a 4 year old defenseless child. The child should be protected and shown right from wrong by their parents, not physically hurt. I spank my daughter on the bottom with my hand but its more of a pat not a full on spank. It is not intended to inflict pain but show that I am disappointed in what she did if her action warranted it. I am not the worlds best parent and will never claim to be, that being said, I can reasonably say any kid that suffers punishment that leaves scares emotionally or physically is suffering abuse.
When Peterson is punished enough to make people happy it will still be legal to use a switch on a 4 year old.

No one will take to Twitter or Facebook and no one will protest. On to the next story to ##### about.

:shrug:

Apparently he has been reaching out in an effort to play elsewhere anyway. If the Vikings want to cut AP I'm sure that won't be a problem for him.
That's why the league will step in and suspend him indefinitely. Hopefully, he will use that time to educate himself on the distinctions between mild forms of corporal punishment versus child abuse. And, perhaps, he also will use that time to be a very public figure in the fight against child abuse. At such a time, maybe the league will reinstate, and he can go play for someone else in the twilight of his career.

When Peterson is punished enough to make people happy it will still be legal to use a switch on a 4 year old.

No one will take to Twitter or Facebook and no one will protest. On to the next story to ##### about.
Or maybe the high profile nature of this embarrasses a lot of people and actual change happens.

For the "this is an over reaction" crowd. Not sure if it's been brought up here, but the CBS article is pretty damning. The guy has a "whooping room", this wasn't an isolated case. The 4 year was afraid of saying anything so Daddy Peterson wouldn't punch him in the face. There's the text message from Peterson telling the mom he "got him in the nuts", and "tearing that butt up when needed". The guy is toast.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/
This is an over reaction. There is nothing damning in that article that indicates child abuse.
Accidentally whipping a child's genitals and leaving a mark - in addition to the rest of the lacerations, etc - is going to get him under the reckless standard.
I made this point in the Shark Pool thread, but he was only reckless if he didn't have concern that this would happen. If he's used a switch many times without this result that he can rightly claim that he wasn't being reckless and instead it was an accident.
Disagree. He admits this branch was different and he failed to realize it was longer and whipping around the side and back of the kid.
Key words: "failed to realize" a.k.a. negligent...not intentionally abusive like everyone in here is trying to paint him as.
But still guilty under a child abuse statute in Texas. And that's what he admits to.
Wrong.

§ 22.04. INJURY TO A CHILD, ELDERLY INDIVIDUAL, OR DISABLED INDIVIDUAL. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence,
Not intention, not knowingly, not recklessly (assuming he had done the same in the past without this result), or criminal negligence (prosecution would have to prove that he lacked the foresight to know a kid could be seriously hurt from a switch).

They will have a difficult time proving him guilty if it goes to court, which I don't believe will happen.

:shrug: Apparently he has been reaching out in an effort to play elsewhere anyway. If the Vikings want to cut AP I'm sure that won't be a problem for him.
That's why the league will step in and suspend him indefinitely. Hopefully, he will use that time to educate himself on the distinctions between mild forms of corporal punishment versus child abuse. And, perhaps, he also will use that time to be a very public figure in the fight against child abuse. At such a time, maybe the league will reinstate, and he can go play for someone else in the twilight of his career.
:lol:

Wrong.

§ 22.04. INJURY TO A CHILD, ELDERLY INDIVIDUAL, OR DISABLED INDIVIDUAL. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence,
Not intention, not knowingly, not recklessly (assuming he had done the same in the past without this result), or criminal negligence (prosecution would have to prove that he lacked the foresight to know a kid could be seriously hurt from a switch).

They will have a difficult time proving him guilty if it goes to court, which I don't believe will happen.
See the rest of the discussion above.

Wrong.

You mentioned it yourself -

"Accidentally whipping a child's genitals and leaving a mark - in addition to the rest of the lacerations, etc - is going to get him under the reckless standard."

If he has done this before without this result then that's what it was - an accident.

Wrong.

LOL @ people who say it's perfectly fine to use a switch, but you'd better pick the correct stick! Accidentally picking one too long and off to prison you go!

The bloodlust crowd who wants to see banishment and imprisonment is way more sad and disturbing than the crowd that thinks what Peterson did is perfectly fine. The latter crowd lands somewhere way closer to reality.

LOL @ people who say it's perfectly fine to use a switch, but you'd better pick the correct stick! Accidentally picking one too long and off to prison you go!

The bloodlust crowd who wants to see banishment and imprisonment is way more sad and disturbing than the crowd that thinks what Peterson did is perfectly fine. The latter crowd lands somewhere way closer to reality.
Interesting that you paint the crowd who want to see child abuse stop as "the bloodlust crowd" where the person who actually drew blood "is perfectly fine". What reality are you talking about?

Wrong.

You mentioned it yourself -

"Accidentally whipping a child's genitals and leaving a mark - in addition to the rest of the lacerations, etc - is going to get him under the reckless standard."

If he has done this before without this result then that's what it was - an accident.
I suppose we will see how it goes.

I'm sure the Vikings PR staff and money people really care whether the lacerated scrotum on the 4 year old is the product of accidentally too strong whipping or intentionally too strong whipping.

Interesting that you paint the crowd who want to see child abuse stop as "the bloodlust crowd" where the person who actually drew blood "is perfectly fine". What reality are you talking about?
Cute as hell, but missing the point entirely. And you seem to lack reading comprehension.

Cute as hell, but missing the point entirely. And you seem to lack reading comprehension.
Ah, I see. My mistake, but you phrased that really poorly since there is a separation between thoughts and had the "and" in the second statement. Again, I retract...

Ah, I see. My mistake, but you phrased that really poorly since there is a separation between thoughts and had the "and" in the second statement. Again, I retract...
Fair enough.

The beatings AP took as a child has made him the man he is today. A man that isn't sure how many children he has and couldn't take care of at least one from a monster who beat him to death. Great guy that AP. What he did to an innocent kid is a much more heinous act than what Rice did to his GF.
THIS.

It's not legal to use a switch on a 4 year old.

Texas

Abuse does not include reasonable discipline by a parent/guardian/managing or possessory conservator if child not exposed to substantial risk of harm. Family Code Sec. 261.001.[Ci.] Parent/stepparent/person standing in loco parentis to child is justified to use non-deadly force against a child under 18 when and to degree the actor reasonably believes necessary to discipline, or safeguard or promote child's welfare. Penal Sec. 9.61.[Cr.]

Apparently the Grand Jury did not feel that this was reasonable discipline and that's why he is being indicted. What could a 4 year old possibly do to deserve to be whipped that many times and until he bleeds

So to you, spanking a child with an open hand on the butt = hitting them with a switch, belt or other object?

It's not legal to use a switch on a 4 year old.

Texas

Abuse does not include reasonable discipline by a parent/guardian/managing or possessory conservator if child not exposed to substantial risk of harm. Family Code Sec. 261.001.[Ci.] Parent/stepparent/person standing in loco parentis to child is justified to use non-deadly force against a child under 18 when and to degree the actor reasonably believes necessary to discipline, or safeguard or promote child's welfare. Penal Sec. 9.61.[Cr.]

Apparently the Grand Jury did not feel that this was reasonable discipline and that's why he is being indicted. What could a 4 year old possibly do to deserve to be whipped that many times and until he bleeds
What could an 11 year old do to "deserve" that? The "OMG, he's only 4 years old, not 11" narrative has also gotten out of control.

I heard that the 4 year old was going around the house pulling protectors off of electrical sockets, and attempting to stick his tongue in the and lick them every chance he got.

Is it now ok how Peterson handled this?

This is worse then the Ray Rice incident imho..... If there was video of this "punishment" he would never play again!

This will fall on deaf ears but I thought it worth posting. I have a good friend and fellow FF owner who lives in TX and the other in the NW section of LA and they both are social workers for the state and they both said the following...cases far worse than this come up every day and it feels like th prosecuter here wants to have their 15 minutes of fame and use this as a platform for their own personal gains.

I said to them "Have you seen the photos?"

Their response were "You should see the ones from all the other cases we work."

Now that doesn't forgive ADP in any way but both social workers said folks in their neck of the woods down in the South use switches, very common. They said ADP on any normal day would simply be enrolled in some parenting classes and perhaps a little community service time but outside of that, the both felt this was being way overpublicized.

Just thought I would share some feedback from folks who work in this field in the actual state or region where this happened. Now others might talk to different social workers with differeing opinions but neither one of them felt this was anything close to the Ray Rice incident.
People quite clearly intentionally ignoring this post to promote their own extremist, knee-jerk reaction agendas.
I'm an attorney in Louisiana and I've personally seen the state take kids away and put them in foster care for injuries that weren't as bad as these.
I bet those kids parents didn't have an attorney like Rusty Hardin representing them.

This will fall on deaf ears but I thought it worth posting. I have a good friend and fellow FF owner who lives in TX and the other in the NW section of LA and they both are social workers for the state and they both said the following...cases far worse than this come up every day and it feels like th prosecuter here wants to have their 15 minutes of fame and use this as a platform for their own personal gains.

Now that doesn't forgive ADP in any way but both social workers said folks in their neck of the woods down in the South use switches, very common. They said ADP on any normal day would simply be enrolled in some parenting classes and perhaps a little community service time but outside of that, the both felt this was being way overpublicized.

Just thought I would share some feedback from folks who work in this field in the actual state or region where this happened. Now others might talk to different social workers with differeing opinions but neither one of them felt this was anything close to the Ray Rice incident.
People quite clearly intentionally ignoring this post to promote their own extremist, knee-jerk reaction agendas.
I'm an attorney in Louisiana and I've personally seen the state take kids away and put them in foster care for injuries that weren't as bad as these.
I bet those kids parents didn't have an attorney like Rusty Hardin representing them.
Peterson may have the money to hire Hardin but he doesn't have the brains not to talk to the police without him. That already happened.

Peterson’s defense: his conduct was reasonable

Hardin’s statement signals the style of defense Peterson will raise. Hardin, who has litigated on behalf of such star athletes as Roger Clemens and Scottie Pippen, acknowledged that Peterson “deeply regrets the unintentional injury,” a statement that mixes an apology about injuries to a young child with a defense of Peterson’s intentions.

In cases involving parents charged with excessive beatings of their children, parents typically argue that their style of discipline was reasonable under the circumstances. They also emphasize that their methods reflected not anger or short temper, but a strategic desire to properly train their children. Peterson’s text messages arguably signal a desire to educate a misbehaving child rather than to sadistically inflict physical harm. Peterson, for instance, texted “[A]ll my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

Peterson is also advantaged by a relatively permissive attitude in Texas toward spanking, paddling and other forms of parental discipline that involve physical force. So long as excessive force is not applied, Texas law permits parents to spank and paddle their children. These attitudes extend outside the home. When compared to parents in other states, Texas parents are relatively permissive of teachers and educators disciplining their children by “reasonably applied” physical force. According to data compiled by the The Huffington Post in 2013, Texas is ranked first among the 50 states in number of children getting hit in school and ninth for highest percentage of children getting hit in school.

​These attitudes may help explain why the first grand jury that scrutinized Peterson’s “whooping” declined to indict him. This is significant, given that grand jury proceedings are decidedly stacked in favor of the prosecution. In a grand jury proceeding, the prosecution decides which evidence is seen and grand jurors only need to find a reasonable belief — rather than certainty beyond a reasonable doubt — that a crime occurred. Even with this low bar, Peterson was not indicted.

Other legal factors, however, cut against Peterson. For starters, he was indicted by the second grand jury, which indicates that at least one group of Texas citizens was sufficiently troubled by his parenting style. Second, the young age of Peterson’s son has legal significance. Courts are generally more tolerant of parents using corporal punishment when their children are at least seven- or eight-years-old and physically capable of withstanding physical contact. Courts are also skeptical of punishing very young children given that they are not yet able to understand the consequences of their choices and behavior. Peterson’s son suffered substantial injuries, which suggests he was unable to withstand the “whooping,” and there are reasons to question whether he — a four-year old — understood that an argument with a sibling over a video game would lead to being repeatedly paddled by a tree branch. Photo evidence of extensive injuries to Peterson’s son, the son’s accusations against his father and Peterson’s arguably self-incriminating text messages should also worry Hardin.

So many people don't know what the uck they're talking about itt.

Guys, the South is different from where you're from. Basically everyone spanks their kids from where Peterson grew up. And yes, most use belts, boards, paddles, switches, etc when the kid is being especially bad.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.
Maybe that is why the south has higher obesity rates and lower literacy rates
Please show the data source supporting your clain that spankings lead to higher obesity rates and lower literacy rates
I said maybe, as in hypothetically. I have no data.

There is plenty of empirical data that says the south has higher obesity rates and lower literacy rates. They also rely the most on government assistance. I was merely speculating the link.

chinawildman said:
ImTheScientist said:
chinawildman said:
ImTheScientist said:
Is there something wrong with being American? I'm proud of it.

"Physically disciplining a child", think about that. Only a ##### hits a kid or a woman, I don't care what culture you are from.
Is there anything wrong with being Singaporean? Because you're basically saying "Singapore and some Asian countries are made up of #####s."

Some cultures have different concepts of power distance and discipline in society. Try to learn more before casting judgment so quickly. Different opinions don't necessarily equate to wrong opinions.
Whipping a child is not ok. At some point all cultures will evolve to the point where they realize this. Just because it happens in other cultures doesn't make it ok.Eta: don't put words in my mouth.
:lol: Yes, Asian parents are just pining for the day when their governments can accrue massive debts and their children can say stuff like "#### you dad".
Maybe they need to spend money on speech therapists. If they do that, then they might be able to stop saying, "Ruck you, dad."
Racism is so twentieth century, get with the times buddy.

Doesn't surprise me too much. I'm actually surprised that a second grand jury actually chose to indict where the first one had failed. My guess is AP gets a slap on the wrist, takes up some counseling and anti-child abuse causes to appease the state and the Vikings organization and is back in week 5 after a 4 game suspension from the Vikes (retroactively counting wk 2).

The case itself will likely not be resolved until the season is over so Goodell won't dare smite him with the domestic abuse policy any time soon with the NFLPA looming. Vikings will have some damage control to do with the media but the good news for them is that public sentiment does seem to be somewhat divided in this case. Had it been a Texas team that he was on it would have likely been business as usual in a week.
Anyone agree with this?
No. Unless the NFL makes a decision to try to narrow its fanbase, contrary to their ongoing desire to expand their fan base.
You really think the NFL would measurably narrow it's fanbase with a 4 game or less suspension?
At this time, with the NFL getting a ton of negative blowback from fans for going light on abuse of women, going light on abuse of kids will hurt them. The owners can either ignore that, hunker down, and hope things die down til the next abuse case becomes public. Or they can can be tough on Peterson like they've been on Rice, which ultimately will make them more money by keeping the fanbase bigger. The owners care about making money.
Absolutely they are about making money but I think you and others are severely overestimating how public opinion will go on this case in the coming weeks. It is so different than the Rice situation that it's not even really relevant IMO.
I think you're overestimating how big a segment of the public thinks putting welts or bruises on a 4-year-old is OK and forgettable.

Doesn't surprise me too much. I'm actually surprised that a second grand jury actually chose to indict where the first one had failed. My guess is AP gets a slap on the wrist, takes up some counseling and anti-child abuse causes to appease the state and the Vikings organization and is back in week 5 after a 4 game suspension from the Vikes (retroactively counting wk 2).

The case itself will likely not be resolved until the season is over so Goodell won't dare smite him with the domestic abuse policy any time soon with the NFLPA looming. Vikings will have some damage control to do with the media but the good news for them is that public sentiment does seem to be somewhat divided in this case. Had it been a Texas team that he was on it would have likely been business as usual in a week.
Anyone agree with this?
No. Unless the NFL makes a decision to try to narrow its fanbase, contrary to their ongoing desire to expand their fan base.
You really think the NFL would measurably narrow it's fanbase with a 4 game or less suspension?
At this time, with the NFL getting a ton of negative blowback from fans for going light on abuse of women, going light on abuse of kids will hurt them. The owners can either ignore that, hunker down, and hope things die down til the next abuse case becomes public. Or they can can be tough on Peterson like they've been on Rice, which ultimately will make them more money by keeping the fanbase bigger. The owners care about making money.
Absolutely they are about making money but I think you and others are severely overestimating how public opinion will go on this case in the coming weeks. It is so different than the Rice situation that it's not even really relevant IMO.
I think you're overestimating how big a segment of the public thinks putting welts or bruises on a 4-year-old is OK and forgettable.
It happens to the best of us.

District attorney: Adrian Peterson 'exceeded' standards

"It appears there's been a significant leak of very sensitive information regarding this case," Grant said. He said his office is working to find out the source of that leak and will prosecute it.

He said the evidence was presented to the grand jury over several weeks and was presented to only one grand jury. "It was not shopped around to multiple grand juries," Grant said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/09/13/adrian-peterson-child-abuse-district-attorney-press-conference/15581419/

"It appears there's been a significant leak of very sensitive information regarding this case," Grant said. He said his office is working to find out the source of that leak and will prosecute it.

He said the evidence was presented to the grand jury over several weeks and was presented to only one grand jury. "It was not shopped around to multiple grand juries," Grant said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/09/13/adrian-peterson-child-abuse-district-attorney-press-conference/15581419/
Is it normal for it to take weeks for a grand jury to decide if someone should be charged in a case like this?

Interesting. "Shopping" a case to multiple grand juries for the same indictment isn't allowed anyway, similar to the concept of double jeopardy. However materially this changes little about the situation as long as the information regarding the official indictment is still accurate.

The leak of information will hurt the prosecution's case though, as evidence in the case prematurely viewed by public eyes will allow the defense to argue that any jury will be tainted (if this case even gets that far).

Interesting. "Shopping" a case to multiple grand juries for the same indictment isn't allowed anyway, similar to the concept of double jeopardy. However materially this changes little about the situation as long as the information regarding the official indictment is still accurate.

The leak of information will hurt the prosecution's case though, as evidence in the case prematurely viewed by public eyes will allow the defense to argue that any jury will be tainted (if this case even gets that far).
It will be equally interesting to see if any perceived taint will be counteracted by Peterson's glibness.

It's not legal to use a switch on a 4 year old.Texas

What could an 11 year old do to "deserve" that? The "OMG, he's only 4 years old, not 11" narrative has also gotten out of control.I heard that the 4 year old was going around the house pulling protectors off of electrical sockets, and attempting to stick his tongue in the and lick them every chance he got.

Is it now ok how Peterson handled this?
No,

Users who are viewing this thread