What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peterson/Taylor to share the load (1 Viewer)

I don't have any problem with using both backs.

What I don't understand why Peterson would get so few touches in the 2nd half when he's your most explosive player and you need points fast. I can only assume that his pass blocking is suspect. Even if that's the case, figure out a way to get the ball into the hands of your best playmaker.

What I don't understand why Peterson would get so few touches in the 2nd half when he's your most explosive player and you need points fast. I can only assume that his pass blocking is suspect. Even if that's the case, figure out a way to get the ball into the hands of your best playmaker.
I think all of us in the free thinking world don't understand this.

as i'm often reminded in the Shark Pool: there's a reason that these guys are NFL head coaches and we're sitting at home playing fantasy football. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING! :hot: woo :cool: :cry: :lmao:

okay.. maybe not Childress

in fairness to Brad, though, i've always said, 'if a guy is going good and the defense can't stop him.. you might want to sit him down for a while and bring in his backup who is just coming off an injury. and when the backup has 7 rushes for -3 yards you don't just want to give up on him.. you want to give him a chance to get lathered up and see what he can do... cause you already know the other guy is hot and can't be stopped. you don't need to see what he can do anymore.'

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. As a Peterson owner I have zero problems with Taylor (or Moore) sharing carries with him. What is absolutely mind-boggling is why he'd only get three touches in the second half of a close game in which the opposing defense had shown no signs whatsoever they could stop him. That was a game that begged for Peterson to be used more because he was the one player the Vikings had who the Packers couldn't deal with.

Agreed. As a Peterson owner I have zero problems with Taylor (or Moore) sharing carries with him. What is absolutely mind-bottling is why he'd only get three touches in the second half of a close game in which the opposing defense had shown no signs whatsoever they could stop him. That was a game that begged for Peterson to be used more because he was the one player the Vikings had who the Packers couldn't deal with.
fixed

I'm an AD owner and to a point I have no issues with him sharing the load with CT. I'm sure that as the year nears the end we will see a greater % of the touches go AD's way like Joe Addai last year. He is still having a great year and has not disapointed yet. I'm still starting him every week without hesitation.

Now with that being said, If I am a viking fan right now I am banging my head though the wall because AD only had 2 touches (non kickoff) in the second half last week. If the plan is 12-14 touches a game (and it should be a few more then that) at least make it 6-7 in each half. I can't picture having an unbeaten division leader in my house who is only up by a small margin, and not give my best player a shot to help win the game for me. Thats just plain bad coaching (so long as the player is not hurt).

"Taylor was in for 41 plays while Peterson saw action on 25 in a 23-16 loss Sunday to Green Bay."

Wow.

Peterson has been more productive.

Peterson was more productive in that game.

Taylor was coming off of an injury.

So let's give Taylor 41 plays to 25 for Peterson???

Now with that being said, If I am a viking fan right now I am banging my head though the wall because AD only had 2 touches (non kickoff) in the second half last week. If the plan is 12-14 touches a game (and it should be a few more then that) at least make it 6-7 in each half. I can't picture having an unbeaten division leader in my house who is only up by a small margin, and not give my best player a shot to help win the game for me. Thats just plain bad coaching (so long as the player is not hurt).
especially not when that unbeaten division leader cannot stop him on the ground and he's averaging 11 yards a carry. not 11 ypc because he ripped off a 90 yd run either. he was legitimately getting 8-10 every time he touched the ball. their line was leaning on the Packers defense.. it was loosening up the secondary.. he was getting better as the half went on.. it was a tight game. there was absolutely no reason to pull him there.the whole 2nd half i was having flashbacks to the MSU vs ND game a couple years ago when MSU pulled Caulcrick in the 2nd half even though he was devestating the ND defense and they were crushing 'em. for whatever reason John L Smith decided to go pass-wacky in the 2nd half, bench Caulcrick, and they wind up losing in one of the wildest games of the decade. :popcorn:

I posted this before Taylor came back, about them sharing the load... and people on this forum were calling me a liar.

"Taylor was in for 41 plays while Peterson saw action on 25 in a 23-16 loss Sunday to Green Bay."Wow. Peterson has been more productive.Peterson was more productive in that game. Taylor was coming off of an injury. So let's give Taylor 41 plays to 25 for Peterson???
:wall: it's almost like Childress thinks, despite the evidence, that Peterson was drafted at #7 to be the backup and learn from Taylor. they wouldn't have drafted him at #7 if they thought Taylor was their guy. :shrug: then to ignore the obvious. something EVERYONE in sports could see. and to follow that up with a declaration that no matter what happens you will be splitting carries??? and to defend your decision by saying (to paraphrase since the link is now requesting a password) "look, just cause the guy has 100yds at half doesn't mean he's the hot hand and that i have to stick with him." :wall: :wall: :wall:

I'm sure Childress wants to keep Peterson fresh for December when they make a run for the playoffs...okay, maybe not.

Over/under on Childress being fired: week 12

any takers?

Seriously, this guy is just being a stupid, obstinant ox. He's essentially saying "I'm the coach, and if I decide that maintaining my RB pecking order is more important than Minnesota winning football games, then that's how it's going to be."

Childress, I got a news flash for you: Chester Taylor tired last season because he sucks. Period. HE was a backup his entire career before coming to Minnesota and the unbeleivable contract you guys gave him for a reason. The rookie, on the other hand, has been the bell-cow his entire career, albeit not in the NFL, and the talent divide is unmistakable.

I have ADP in a dynasty league so if he has to suffer through this and it gets Childress fired, which it will if he sticks to it, then I am fine with sacrificing one year of amazing production so that I never have to hear this ###-clown's name again.

i'm a Packer fan but i believe that rush defense is a bit of a paper tiger. they're setup to be a pass rushing team right now. lock-down corners. quick d-ends. they have been gashed up the middle regularly so far this season.

they just get ahead and force teams to pass more than run and it's inflating the stats a bit.

might not have an effect all season... who knows? they may finish in the top 10 Run D's but i don't think it'll be because they're a stone wall up front.

"Taylor was in for 41 plays while Peterson saw action on 25 in a 23-16 loss Sunday to Green Bay."Wow. Peterson has been more productive.Peterson was more productive in that game. Taylor was coming off of an injury. So let's give Taylor 41 plays to 25 for Peterson???
:wall: it's almost like Childress thinks, despite the evidence, that Peterson was drafted at #7 to be the backup and learn from Taylor. they wouldn't have drafted him at #7 if they thought Taylor was their guy. :thumbup: then to ignore the obvious. something EVERYONE in sports could see. and to follow that up with a declaration that no matter what happens you will be splitting carries??? and to defend your decision by saying (to paraphrase since the link is now requesting a password) "look, just cause the guy has 100yds at half doesn't mean he's the hot hand and that i have to stick with him." :wall: :wall: :wall:
He also defends it by calling it a "change of pace". "I'm tired of sleeping with Elizabeth Hurley, so as a change of pace I gave Rosie O'Donnell a ring..." :excited:

:wall: it's almost like Childress thinks, despite the evidence, that Peterson was drafted at #7 to be the backup and learn from Taylor. they wouldn't have drafted him at #7 if they thought Taylor was their guy. :popcorn: then to ignore the obvious. something EVERYONE in sports could see. and to follow that up with a declaration that no matter what happens you will be splitting carries??? and to defend your decision by saying (to paraphrase since the link is now requesting a password) "look, just cause the guy has 100yds at half doesn't mean he's the hot hand and that i have to stick with him." :wall: :wall: :wall:
He also defends it by calling it a "change of pace". "I'm tired of sleeping with Elizabeth Hurley, so as a change of pace I gave Rosie O'Donnell a ring..." :lmao:
not only that but he's taking Rosie out to important business dinners and leaving Hurley at home to scrub the toilet with her toothbrush. :shrug:

i'm a Packer fan but i believe that rush defense is a bit of a paper tiger. they're setup to be a pass rushing team right now. lock-down corners. quick d-ends. they have been gashed up the middle regularly so far this season.
Seriously?? I have yet to see any big holes open up in the center of the line. Packers biggest runs were to the outside. See the KC game where they continued to try and run LJ up the gut and hit the proverbial :lmao:

It's very simple to understand. Chili is one of those coaches who thinks he's smarter than everyone else is. He thinks the fans are idiots.

Seriously?? I have yet to see any big holes open up in the center of the line. Packers biggest runs were to the outside. See the KC game where they continued to try and run LJ up the gut and hit the proverbial :lmao:
Umm hes talking about the Packers defense

Love this from the article:

Peterson also has scored two of the Vikings' four offensive touchdowns, has caught two of their three longest receptions and amassed three of their longest five runs.

Childress reaction: "Hit the showers!"

Maybe he thinks that AP is making the rest of the team look bad.

It's very simple to understand. Chili is one of those coaches who thinks he's smarter than everyone else is. He thinks the fans are idiots.
He learned everything he knows at the Andy Reid school of hard knocks.

Seriously?? I have yet to see any big holes open up in the center of the line. Packers biggest runs were to the outside. See the KC game where they continued to try and run LJ up the gut and hit the proverbial :wall:
Umm hes talking about the Packers defense
Ahh.. he threw me for a loop with the "I'm a Packer fan but...." inside a Viking thread.. I thought he was saying, "I'm a Packer Fan, but from my view point the VIKINGS rush defense is a bit of a paper tiger.Then again I should have read the "they just get ahead and force teams to pass more" part.. as that makes it clear he isn't talking about the vikes.

I don't mind the carries split if it helps keep ADP healthy, but Taylor being on more plays is a bit misleading. They were talking during the game about ADP not having grasped pass blocking yet, as they showed a replay of him completely whiffing on a blitzer. So you can fault Childress for going away from him early in the 2nd half, but the plays disparity probably comes from all the passes playing catchup in the end, and Taylor being in there for blitz protection. ADP still did get 13 touches to Chester's 9, so hopefully that ratio would continue.

Another gem:

"I'm not so keen on [increasing his playing time]," Childress said, "as him being a good teammate and contributing whatever way he can, like in those kickoff returns, because that takes its toll, too. ... We're going to continue to mix those guys in and out. That's not something that we run in [at halftime] and look at the statistics and say, 'Geez, he's getting at 100 [yards].' We're going to continue to change those guys and put those fresh legs in there from time to time, whether it's Chester's fresh legs or whether it's Adrian's fresh legs."

In this paragraph he admits that he is using the younger, more expensive, and immensely more talented back in a position that leads to wearing down, possibly injuries, and admits that his coaching staff doesn't monitor what his players are doing during the game.

" We're going to continue to change those guys and put those fresh legs in there from time to time, whether it's Chester's fresh legs or whether it's Adrian's fresh legs."
So... that really explains the non-use of Peterson's fresh legs in the 2nd half.Does this guy have any clue how to run a football team?

Should we wait for him to get fired or just go up to Minnesota and kidnap him, then leave him tied up in a cabin until the playoffs start?

Another gem:

"I'm not so keen on [increasing his playing time]," Childress said, "as him being a good teammate and contributing whatever way he can, like in those kickoff returns, because that takes its toll, too. ... We're going to continue to mix those guys in and out. That's not something that we run in [at halftime] and look at the statistics and say, 'Geez, he's getting at 100 [yards].' We're going to continue to change those guys and put those fresh legs in there from time to time, whether it's Chester's fresh legs or whether it's Adrian's fresh legs."

In this paragraph he admits that he is using the younger, more expensive, and immensely more talented back in a position that leads to wearing down, possibly injuries, and admits that his coaching staff doesn't monitor what his players are doing during the game.
Wow...wow.

As a Peterson owner myself, I've started him every week and I'm fine w/ him getting 100+ on however many touches he gets. The kick return duty has me very worried though, as he has been injury-prone his whole career anyways. I'm crossing my fingers every week about his 15 touches, let alone his 5 touches meeting defenders at full speed.

" We're going to continue to change those guys and put those fresh legs in there from time to time, whether it's Chester's fresh legs or whether it's Adrian's fresh legs."
So... that really explains the non-use of Peterson's fresh legs in the 2nd half.Does this guy have any clue how to run a football team?
I think we all know the answer by now:NO!!!!!!!

:lmao:

Seems like they should keep Mewelde Moore active for kick returns.
Maybe Childress plans on giving up a lot more points in the future. Hence more kickoff returns for AP, therefore, keep him fresh for return duty by giving CT the work when they are on offense. Pretty smart IMO.

Seems like they should keep Mewelde Moore active for kick returns.
Maybe Childress plans on giving up a lot more points in the future. Hence more kickoff returns for AP, therefore, keep him fresh for return duty by giving CT the work when they are on offense. Pretty smart IMO.
:football: Seriously, what a moron this guy is. I don't even own AP in any leagues and have CT in several, but I feel bad for Minnesota fans. What did they do to deserve this doofus? It reminds me of the Joe Paterno method of treating RBs. "Let's see, Larry Johnson is running guys over for 10 yards a clip, but I'd rather have those seniors Easy and McCoo in there"

Star Tribune on the Split

Pressed Monday on the issue, Childress said the split reflects his long-term vision for the position -- having fresh legs in the game at all times -- and that he is not looking to amplify Peterson's role.

"You're not going to use somebody all the way throughout," Childress said. "And that's the great thing about having two guys that you feel equally good about and equally explosive about. ... You do have that changeup and it benefits both people, and it benefits our football team."

Taylor broke down last season after 12 games as the team's primary runner. After that, Childress has never hidden his desire to split backfield playing time this season. However, many observers figured it would be only a matter of time before Peterson forced his way into the most prominent role. Taylor's injury accelerated that timetable, and Peterson has responded with 549 all-purpose yards this season, the NFL's third-highest total.

Peterson also has scored two of the Vikings' four offensive touchdowns, has caught two of their three longest receptions and amassed three of their longest five runs. Taylor's recovery left returned Peterson to the secondary role Sunday, even as he ripped off a season-high 55-yard run and finished with 112 rushing yards on 12 carries.

Taylor carried eight times for 40 yards (37 of which came on one run), leading to the natural question of what Peterson might have done with additional playing time.

For now, however, the Vikings seem prepared to continue using Peterson as a change-of-pace offensive weapon as well as their primary kickoff returner.

Hey guys - since it doesn't matter to Childress how each guy runs, but rather that each guy has fresh legs, perhaps he'll throw me in there. I have fresh legs. Honestly, this guy calling Peterson and Taylor "equally explosive" and saying that they won't take a halftime look at which guy is destroying the defense, I honestly, have lost respect for Childress. An unbelievable moron and disingenuous individual is the nicest description I can provide.

The only reason I can think of is that they're tanking this season. They're more than one playmaker away from winning the Superbowl, where the NFC has no chance. They've got a great playmaker on offense who's still young, and they don't want to get him injured or give him the Larry Johnson treatment. They've got the makings of a great defense, but they're still a couple players away. If they can showcase Taylor, and trade him to one of the teams that really needs a running back, they might be able to get an early first round pick, plus whatever they get from trading Taylor, find a quarterback, and build a real contender.

This team has an offensive line and a running back, and they have a defense, but they need to improve their quarterback, defensive backs, and receivers. I'm sure their ideal case would be to have a New Orleans type turnaround by adding a Brees/Schaub/McNabb? type of quarterback next offseason, adding a top defensive back in the draft or possibly trading for one, and picking up a receiver and some depth on defense. If they could keep this core together next year, they'd be able to legitimately contend for a title, which just won't happen this year. In the meantime, get Peterson some experience, get him used to a 16 game season, but don't let him get hurt.

The only reason I can think of is that they're tanking this season. They're more than one playmaker away from winning the Superbowl, where the NFC has no chance. They've got a great playmaker on offense who's still young, and they don't want to get him injured or give him the Larry Johnson treatment. They've got the makings of a great defense, but they're still a couple players away. If they can showcase Taylor, and trade him to one of the teams that really needs a running back, they might be able to get an early first round pick, plus whatever they get from trading Taylor, find a quarterback, and build a real contender. This team has an offensive line and a running back, and they have a defense, but they need to improve their quarterback, defensive backs, and receivers. I'm sure their ideal case would be to have a New Orleans type turnaround by adding a Brees/Schaub/McNabb? type of quarterback next offseason, adding a top defensive back in the draft or possibly trading for one, and picking up a receiver and some depth on defense. If they could keep this core together next year, they'd be able to legitimately contend for a title, which just won't happen this year. In the meantime, get Peterson some experience, get him used to a 16 game season, but don't let him get hurt.
All I have to say is that the Bears better be ready to out-bid Minnesota for a QB free agent this off season. They already have us beat at RB to say the least, and their defense is stout. The Bears cannot f'ing mess around with QBs anymore, and we KNOW Chicago's ownership scout's offensive skill players horribly.

The only reason I can think of is that they're tanking this season. They're more than one playmaker away from winning the Superbowl, where the NFC has no chance. They've got a great playmaker on offense who's still young, and they don't want to get him injured or give him the Larry Johnson treatment. They've got the makings of a great defense, but they're still a couple players away. If they can showcase Taylor, and trade him to one of the teams that really needs a running back, they might be able to get an early first round pick, plus whatever they get from trading Taylor, find a quarterback, and build a real contender. This team has an offensive line and a running back, and they have a defense, but they need to improve their quarterback, defensive backs, and receivers. I'm sure their ideal case would be to have a New Orleans type turnaround by adding a Brees/Schaub/McNabb? type of quarterback next offseason, adding a top defensive back in the draft or possibly trading for one, and picking up a receiver and some depth on defense. If they could keep this core together next year, they'd be able to legitimately contend for a title, which just won't happen this year. In the meantime, get Peterson some experience, get him used to a 16 game season, but don't let him get hurt.
This would be my thinking if I were the GM/Owner of this debacle of a team. Winning anything this season is absolutely out of the question. I'd tell my coach, if he wants to keep his job, do not wear down our meal ticket for th next 5 seasons. I doubt we see Peterson get more than 20 touches as long as CT is healthy. He will still produce, but you can probably find a better option through a trade at this point.

Agree 100%. Sucks for fantasy owners this year, but it makes perfect sense. Childress must have management buy in on this approach because a coach that truly needed to win now would be running AP into the ground. Once the season is over, they can make the moves necessary to move in the right direction. Use the season to evaluate everything and address the most glaring needs. This team could make a big leap next year if they do the right things, and then we'll be hailing Childress as a genius.

Agree 100%. Sucks for fantasy owners this year, but it makes perfect sense. Childress must have management buy in on this approach because a coach that truly needed to win now would be running AP into the ground. Once the season is over, they can make the moves necessary to move in the right direction. Use the season to evaluate everything and address the most glaring needs. This team could make a big leap next year if they do the right things, and then we'll be hailing Childress as a genius.
No, Chili is just nuts. See KR duty as a way to protect the future of your franchise?

I cannot say this enough....... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for not letting Childress out of Minnesota.

There's a whole lotts man-love in Packerland for Wilf these days.

:lmao:

Seriously?? I have yet to see any big holes open up in the center of the line. Packers biggest runs were to the outside. See the KC game where they continued to try and run LJ up the gut and hit the proverbial :bag:
i'm talking about the Packers run defense.the Vikes run D looks fine to me. at least what little i saw of it on Sunday. :confused:

Yep till AP gets 20 touches again , EDGE will be in his place starting. Might just use KJ over him too.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if AP goes down like Greenway because Chili uses him on kickoffs when there are plenty of carries that he can get in this offense I just wonder what the excuse is going to be? The Greenway excuse was he wasn't good enough not to be on special teams. What's the excuse now? Why are they risking THE only skill player they have on kick returns? Something he did not do in college. This isn't Dante Hall or Devin Hester we're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread