What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Petition: I'd Like a Subscriber-Only Message Board (1 Viewer)

DevilintheDetail

Footballguy
I know that Footballguys have said they have considered this but declined to do it. I just want to make sure they have an accurate assessment of how many of think it would be valuable, and strengthen our committment to returning as subscribers. So, if you are a Footballguys subscriber and you would be interested in a message board for subscribers where we could discuss the subscription-content, please reply to this post.DevilintheDetail

Joe and David have been very clear that we aren't going to go this route. I understand the request, but I just don't ever see it happening. I often refer to the message boards as our lobby. We aren't going to deny access to our lobby for non-subscribers.

Count me OUT - and I'm a subscriber.

I'd prefer to see the free flow of information from everyone, rather than having a 'he-man non-subscriber haters club", and I'll deal with the all the useless chaff that can accumulate on the board to get it.

I'd prefer to see the free flow of information from everyone, rather than having a 'he-man non-subscriber haters club", and I'll deal with the all the useless chaff that can accumulate on the board to get it.
agreed. As an aside... I don't know that I would have ever become a subscriber in the first place had I not been able to browse the message board for free and get a sense of the quality of the content and discussion.

I agree with Pony Boy :shock: er, at least this time I do. No VIP room-type stuff here. Keep it open to everyone. ... although I will say I could do without the Mike Brady messages from Joe - much love and respect to Joe, but I'm a grown up, by golly! It's been a long time since I had to mow my parents astroturf yard.

:goodposting: agreed. As an aside... I don't know that I would have ever become a subscriber in the first place had I not been able to browse the message board for free and get a sense of the quality of the content and discussion.
:goodposting:

I would like to see a subscriber-only message board. But, as mentioned in another thread, not like the Shark Pool. We wouldn't be able to create threads, but there would be threads with the titles of the articles posted by Joe, etc and we would then discuss only those articles. That way, The Shark Pool remains basically the same.

I'd like to see the subscriber article posted blog-style, so we can add comments on the page itself. Keep the MB free.

No Thanks. Keep it as is. I don't want to keep track of the same type of info in 2 different forums.

I don't see what there is to gain by a subscribers' only message board / forum. Creating a second gathering place would likely divide up the posters into two groups reducing the volume (and I would submit, quality) of the information and posts.I vote no.

:Garth Algar: "I fear change. :Garth Algar:Foos knows stuff. Pony Boy not so much. I have it on good authority that he is a proponent of not taking R.B.'s until the 4th round in redrafts :P . What sort of maniac is this guy? :P

agreed. As an aside... I don't know that I would have ever become a subscriber in the first place had I not been able to browse the message board for free and get a sense of the quality of the content and discussion.

I know that Footballguys have said they have considered this but declined to do it. I just want to make sure they have an accurate assessment of how many of think it would be valuable, and strengthen our committment to returning as subscribers. So, if you are a Footballguys subscriber and you would be interested in a message board for subscribers where we could discuss the subscription-content, please reply to this post.

DevilintheDetail
From a business stand-point this is a ridiculous suggestion that footballguys would be foolish to agree to. This message board and the opinions and discussions that take place are some of the best free-advertising for why you SHOULD subscribe to the site. As a newbie a couple years ago it was comments and inside info I saw exchanged here that made me realize I could really learn a lot by paying for a subscription.

If there WAS a subscriber only area, all the real sharks would be in there and this board would become a waiting area for people that weren't 'in the know' and the value of this board would be hugely reduced.

I'd like to see a separate dynasty-only discussion forum.Too often flame wars erupt over players when people are playing two entirely different formats.

I'd like to see the subscriber article posted blog-style, so we can add comments on the page itself. Keep the MB free.
That's a good idea...
That might pique Joe's interest.
We need the people in the know to see this.....articles blog style. One of the tech sites I go to does this and it works great for discussion on the articles, keeps it in the subscription site, and won't affect the volume of posters in the Pool IMO.

I know that Footballguys have said they have considered this but declined to do it.  I just want to make sure they have an accurate assessment of how many of think it would be valuable, and strengthen our committment to returning as subscribers.  So, if you are a Footballguys subscriber and you would be interested in a message board for subscribers where we could discuss the subscription-content, please reply to this post.

DevilintheDetail
From a business stand-point this is a ridiculous suggestion that footballguys would be foolish to agree to. This message board and the opinions and discussions that take place are some of the best free-advertising for why you SHOULD subscribe to the site. As a newbie a couple years ago it was comments and inside info I saw exchanged here that made me realize I could really learn a lot by paying for a subscription.

If there WAS a subscriber only area, all the real sharks would be in there and this board would become a waiting area for people that weren't 'in the know' and the value of this board would be hugely reduced.
Agree, I browsed the forums back in July here and bought my first subscription right after I saw how active this place was. So far I love it, especially the updates we get from Joe. Priceless information. Anyone else on the fence it is worth the $25 or whatever the price was.But I do like the comments to articles kind of theme for pay area, like a blog. Can't hurt and it would keep the comments on track to the article.

That's a good idea...
That might pique Joe's interest.
For articles like "The Perfect Draft," that IS the answer. If Joe ignores this option, he's just being stubborn and not listening to his customers. We'll just have to wait and see. I hope he sees the wisdom in this solution. FBGs can'g expect us to pay for information, then walk around with our mouths tightly closed pretending that we don't want to talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is not a true "free flow" of information when subscribers are censored as to what they can discuss on pay material.I for one would like to see a forum for which subscribers could comment and debate ONLY pay articles. Anything other than that should stay here or wherever it belongs. Ya ya, PMs, how tiresome would that get....

Would the SP take a hit from this, sure. But the pay articles only come out during the busiest and heaviest traffic times of the year around here. There would still be plenty of flow in the SP IMO. Count me in as for it.

I'd like to see a separate dynasty-only discussion forum.

Too often flame wars erupt over players when people are playing two entirely different formats.
Now THIS I would support!!! :hey: :goodposting: I go crazy sorting through all the re-draft stuff, and would LOVE to exchange ideas and opinions with dynasty only owners.

Joe, David, can we get your thoughts on this???

I have an idea. Instead of opening up a forum were subscribers can post anything they want, allow subscribers to post comments on subscriber articles like they do on blogs. This will allow subscribers to discuss the material while also keeping everyone on point. Plus, it wouldn't take away from the free message board because you can't talk about paid stuff in there anyway. What do you think about that idea?

I agree that the message board should be free. However, that doesn't mean that FBG's couldn't provide a "Subscriber Only" category, that only subscribers could access to discuss subscriber content. ;)

take your fires and stomp them out!

I'm talking ICY POTS, #####es!
:goodposting: That's amazing. I came here to post the exact same thing.
:lmao:

Too often flame wars erupt over players when people are playing two entirely different formats.
This is a good idea. It's difficult having a serious discussion when some poster is trying to be "cool" by belittling the value of someone like Willie Parker.I don't think the dynasty forum would take anything away from the SP, and it would make finding that info much easier. Kinda like the IDP forum...

I guess great minds think alike. I didn't read the thread before I posted my comments, but I hope the powers that be will see that this is a great idea.

Im for it, but Im not a subscriber at the moment, as Colin still hasn't paid for my membership due to our bet about McPherson.

I'd like to see the subscriber article posted blog-style, so we can add comments on the page itself.  Keep the MB free.
I guess great minds think alike. I didn't read the thread before I posted my comments, but I hope the powers that be will see that this is a great idea.
It's a good idea, but I can't see any way they can get this done in 2005 with their current staffing. What you're asking for is a lot of work, and it won't draw in (m)any new subscribers this year. I agree that it would be nice to have a place to discuss the subscriber content, though.

I agree that the message board should be free.

However, that doesn't mean that FBG's couldn't provide a "Subscriber Only" category, that only subscribers could access to discuss subscriber content.

;)
Agreed! If they can privide a separate forum for "The Smack Off" or "The Dating Game", this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

It's a good idea, but I can't see any way they can get this done in 2005 with their current staffing. What you're asking for is a lot of work, and it won't draw in (m)any new subscribers this year. I agree that it would be nice to have a place to discuss the subscriber content, though.
It is NOT a lot of work to add a comments section to each subscriber article. Every Joe Schmo with a blog has one.

However, that doesn't mean that FBG's couldn't provide a "Subscriber Only" category, that only subscribers could access to discuss subscriber content.

;)
Agreed! If they can privide a separate forum for "The Smack Off" or "The Dating Game", this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.
:yes: :hey: Add a forum please.

I'd like to see a Dynasty/NCAA forum, because to be successful at Dynasty you have to scout the colleges, because one year's first round pick will have a lot more value than another years. Or if they add 2 forums, one for dynasty and one for college.

how about a seperate forum for triple digiters while we're at it?

big picture people...anything that would limit traffic as much as a subscriiber only forum is a bad idea for FGB's if they hope to continue their growth. they need the hits and the subscriptions that come along with that...a seperate forum would only dilute the shark pool>>>causing a lot of quality posters & info to go elsewhere

bad idea imo - what's the real upside of this move? being able to discuss a perfect draft article? being able to question why the packers offensive line dropped 29 spots? why have TO's projections been lowered? seriously

big picture people...anything that would limit traffic as much as a subscriiber only forum is a bad idea for FGB's if they hope to continue their growth. they need the hits and the subscriptions that come along with that...a seperate forum would only dilute the shark pool>>>causing a lot of quality posters & info to go elsewhere

bad idea imo - what's the real upside of this move? being able to discuss a perfect draft article? being able to question why the packers offensive line dropped 29 spots? why have TO's projections been lowered? seriously
It's better than getting your posts deleted or getting scolded for talking about stuff that you're not supposed to talk about. If you are so certain that there is nothing worthwhile to talk about in a forum like this, why would you assume that the Shark Pool would get diluted from all the sharks running over to the new forum to discuss nothing?

:thumbup: BINGO - you just have two different forum sections, an at large, open to everyone forum and a subscriber only forum where they can discuss premium content AND get faster answers from staff (as they have a smaller group of posts to deal with)We use the two forum system very successfully at Mastersball.com - if there are some subscribers here, they can attest to that.

I'd like to see the subscriber article posted blog-style, so we can add comments on the page itself.  Keep the MB free.
It is NOT a lot of work to add a comments section to each subscriber article. Every Joe Schmo with a blog has one.
The technology they're using to store their articles now is not the same technology that "every joe schmo" is using for their blogs. You'd be asking them to change technologies, copy all their content over to a blog, set up security around the blog, and do all of this specifically when they're at the peak of their business. It's a lot harder than you seem to think it is. I don't speak for Joe and co., but I think it's completely unrealistic to expect this in 2005, even if they were willing to do it at some point in the future. Late August is not a good time to add something this big to their schedule.

This agruement is very weak IMO. The only traffic you would be limiting in other forums is that of people who have ALREADY SUBSCRIBED. How would they be loosing "hits" and missing out on any exposure due to people who have already paid going to another forum? Sure, the SP would take a minor hit as far as info is concerned, but as I already said several posts ago, the pay info ONLY comes out during the PEAK season anyway. When traffic is at it's highest, so I think the loss would be minimal. And again, the threads would be topic specific as to not dilute the SP too much. The mods have no problem policing us from discussing pay stuff and double posted materal already, so I don't see how policing that forum would create much more of a problem.

;)
:banned:

I don't speak for Joe and co., but I think it's completely unrealistic to expect this in 2005, even if they were willing to do it at some point in the future. Late August is not a good time to add something this big to their schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread