What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pit Bull Poll (1 Viewer)

Compared to an average Golden Retriever, an average Pit Bull is more or less likely to attack a pers

• Pit Bull much more likely to attack than the Golden Retriever

Votes: 129 52.2%
  • Pit Bull more likely to attack than the Golden Retriever

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • They're equally likely to attack

Votes: 61 24.7%
  • Pit Bull much less likely to attack than the Golden Retriever

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Pit Bull much less likely to attack than the Golden Retriever

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I'd be interested in seeing the pre and post as well para to see if they had any significant changes.

I'd say that since they still have quite a high % rate of apparent severe bites that it probably hasn't had the impact they desired.

I haven't come across too many pre/post studies myself.

Did see an older one from Canada that didn't show much of a difference, but it didn't address severity I don't think.

Toronto.

Also saw a couple outdated one's that didn't show any significant changes, but again they are older. 
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/19/3/177

I havent scrubbed this yet, but came across this while trying to find more info for the canadian study you mentioned. It echoes what lots of people argue in here, that bites were relatively unchanged but severity decreases. 

Last edited by a moderator:
While I also believe the preponderance of attacks are based off of how a dog it trained, that isn't the only variable involved in attacks

My brother had sister pit bulls (a brindle and a red) and while the red was very friendly, the brindle was wild and nasty.  He had them both as pups and raised them the same way.  He ended up putting the brindle down.  

First recommendation for preventing dog bites???

I dont see the text you quoted in there anywhere. 
hmm, it was like half the page:

Editorial Note

Editorial Note: During 1979-1996, fatal dog attacks occurred in 45 states (Figure_1). In 1986, nonfatal dog bites resulted in an estimated 585,000 injuries that required medical attention or restricted activity; in that year, dog bites ranked 12th among the leading causes of nonfatal injury in the United States (5). In 1994, an estimated 4.7 million persons (1.8% of the U.S. population) sustained a dog bite; of these, approximately 800,000 (0.3%) sought medical care for the bite (6).

The findings in this report are subject to at least two limitations. First, because death-certificate data were not available, the two sources used for case finding in 1995-1996 probably underestimated the number of DBRFs and may represent only 74% of actual cases (1,2). Second, to definitively determine whether certain breeds are disproportionately represented, breed-specific fatality rates should be calculated. The numerator for such rates requires complete ascertainment of deaths and an accurate determination of the breed involved, and the denominator requires reliable breed-specific population data (i.e., number of deaths involving a given breed divided by number of dogs of that breed). However, such denominator data are not available, and official registration or licensing data cannot be used because owners of certain breeds may be less likely than those owning other breeds to register or license their animals (3).

Three categories of strategies can be considered for preventing dog bites:

Owner and public education. Dog owners, through proper selection, socialization, training, care, and treatment of a dog, can reduce the likelihood of owning a dog that will eventually bite (7). Male and unspayed/unneutered dogs are more likely to bite than are female and spayed/neutered dogs (7). Educational and prevention efforts should be directed at parents and children. Veterinarians and pediatricians should address strategies for bite prevention, including the need for appropriate supervision of children. Other strategies include dissemination of information on preventing bites (see box(Table_B1)), school-based educational programs on bite prevention and canine behavior, and educational programs regarding responsible dog selection, ownership, and training.

Animal control at the community level. Animal-control programs should be supported, and laws for regulating dangerous or vicious dogs should be promulgated and enforced vigorously (8). For example, in this report, 30% of DBRFs resulted from groups of owned dogs that were free roaming off the owner's property. Some of these deaths might have been prevented through more stringent animal-control laws and enforcement. Although some breeds were disproportionately represented in the fatal attacks described in this report, the representation of breeds changes over time (Table_1). As a result, targeting a specific breed may be unproductive; a more effective approach may be to target chronically irresponsible dog owners (9).

Bite reporting. Evaluation of prevention efforts requires improved surveillance for dog bites. Dog bites should be reported as required by local or state ordinances, and reports of such incidents should include information about the circumstances of the bite; ownership, breed, sex, age, spay/neuter status, and history of prior aggression of the animal; and the nature of restraint before the bite incident.

Dogs provide many health and social benefits (10). Most of the approximately 55 million dogs in the United States never bite or kill humans. However, the findings in this report indicate that DBRFs continue to occur and that most are preventable. HSUS and the U.S. Postal Service have designated June 9-13, 1997, as National Dog Bite Prevention Week. Additional information about preventing dog bites is available from HSUS, 100 L Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037; telephone (202) 452-1100; or on the World-Wide Web at http//:www.hsus.org.

ETA: sorry so long, but that is in response to not seeing the CDC recommendations from their study here:  https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00047723.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Owner and public education. Dog owners, through proper selection, socialization, training, care, and treatment of a dog, can reduce the likelihood of owning a dog that will eventually bite (7). Male and unspayed/unneutered dogs are more likely to bite than are female and spayed/neutered dogs (7). Educational and prevention efforts should be directed at parents and children. Veterinarians and pediatricians should address strategies for bite prevention, including the need for appropriate supervision of children. Other strategies include dissemination of information on preventing bites (see box(Table_B1)), school-based educational programs on bite prevention and canine behavior, and educational programs regarding responsible dog selection, ownership, and training.

Animal control at the community level. Animal-control programs should be supported, and laws for regulating dangerous or vicious dogs should be promulgated and enforced vigorously (8). For example, in this report, 30% of DBRFs resulted from groups of owned dogs that were free roaming off the owner's property. Some of these deaths might have been prevented through more stringent animal-control laws and enforcement. Although some breeds were disproportionately represented in the fatal attacks described in this report, the representation of breeds changes over time (Table_1). As a result, targeting a specific breed may be unproductive; a more effective approach may be to target chronically irresponsible dog owners (9).

Bite reporting. Evaluation of prevention efforts requires improved surveillance for dog bites. Dog bites should be reported as required by local or state ordinances, and reports of such incidents should include information about the circumstances of the bite; ownership, breed, sex, age, spay/neuter status, and history of prior aggression of the animal; and the nature of restraint before the bite incident.
Interesting. You posted that the three main suggestions from the CDC for reducing dog bites were

1. Educating children 

2. Advocating for dangerous dog laws

3. providing spay/neuter assistance and education

And you think that the editorial note that you copied and pasted backs that up? 

ok, read the exact article and let me know what you conclude from that. i'm guessing no one did a DNA test on the dog/s that attacked. was there just one dog or multiple? was there no staff, or other staff in the facility? 

honestly, that article belongs more in a thread about crappy new reporting then it does about dogs. you can honestly tell me you read that article and have no questions about what exactly occurred?
If it helps, here's a slightly better article about what happened.

http://www.knoe.com/content/news/Pit-bull-kills-woman-at-West-Monroe-area-pet-boarding-facility-468623323.html

Laura Ray was a worker at the hotel who was handling overnight care and feeding of the animals and was attacked and killed.

Interesting. You posted that the three main suggestions from the CDC for reducing dog bites were

1. Educating children 

2. Advocating for dangerous dog laws

3. providing spay/neuter assistance and education

And you think that the editorial note that you copied and pasted backs that up? 
i originally cut and paste from an article which you cited. Honestly, is it that hard to 

1) educate children, parents, and professionals on bite prevention - CDC suggests school programs

2) further fund and support animal control programs. This would lead to stricter enforcement of animal control laws. 

3) and collect better data about dog bites

this is what i gathered from the CDC suggestions. frame how you like, but do we want to argue that these 3 reasonable suggestions should not be supported so we can reduce dog bites/attacks?  i'm not sure what kinds of animal control laws are being suggested but i have faith then can be logical and make sense. collecting better data is 75% of what the arguments are in these thread. CDC suggests data collected is: Dog bites should be reported as required by local or state ordinances, and reports of such incidents should include information about the circumstances of the bite; ownership, breed, sex, age, spay/neuter status, and history of prior aggression of the animal; and the nature of restraint before the bite incident.

that is a seemingly better solution, and i would think cheaper then trying to enforce eliminating a breed of dog

Users who are viewing this thread