What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Brodie Croyle & Damon Huard (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2007 Player Spotlight Series

Over the course of the offseason, we will be evaluating a multitude of players at every fantasy position. One such way we go about that is through the Player Spotlight series. Think of the Spotlights as a permanent record on some of the more intriguing players for the upcoming season. Each Spotlight will be featured in an article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Brodie Croyle & Damon Huard, QBs, Kansas City Chiefs

Player Page Link: Brodie Croyle Player Page

Player Page Link: Damon Huard Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide sustainable value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsBest of Luck and ENJOY!

Lots of positive vibes this summer about Brodie Croyle being the starter in 07 for the Chiefs. I will be surprised to see that come to pass. For one thing, Croyle has little NFL experience. For another, he just doesn't have the star quality resume. For another, he's getting married this summer in July, right before training camp. I can't imagine the pressure of being a first time starting QB and he's adding to it by being a newlywed? Couldn't he have gotten married in February?

Damon Huard was fairly successful as the replacement for Trent Green last year in Kansas City. He had a 5.4 record, but won four of the last five games he started, including wins over the Chargers, Seahawks, Rams, and Raiders. He also averaged a little over 17 fantasy points per game in his last four and threw 6 TDs and 0 ints.

Another factor to consider here is that Herm Edwards will Larry Johnson as long as he can. They will definitely be a run first team. I guess the key factor is that which ever QB you favor, you shouldn't draft either one till very late as your 2nd or possibly 3rd QB. I would not even think about drafting both, as the one who doesn't start the year will likely be available on the waiver wire.

I think that Huard will start and hold off Croyle.

Huard 260 comps 440 attempts (59.0%) 3060 yards (6.95 ypa) 15 TDs and 6 ints

Croyle 5 comps 10 attempts (50.0%) 100 yards (10.0 ypa) 0 TDs and 1 int

I wont pretend to guess who will win the starting job (although I think KC would be ######ed to start Croyle when Huard has such a good year last year) so I will project for team QB. Decline in the offensive line, potential holdout of LJ, bad to inexperienced WRs, Herm Edwards. I dont think there is much to like for the QB of the KC Chiefs, the potential worst team in the NFL.

3200 yds, 14 tds, 17 ints, undraftable

I expect Huard to get 90 percent of the snaps this season, and given that he has not exactly lost much from last season when he was lights out, I do not see why he must all of a sudden regress.

Huard

239/395

2975 YDs

19 TDs

7 INTs

Croyle

29/55

375 YDs

1 TD

5 INTs

I expect Huard to get 90 percent of the snaps this season, and given that he has not exactly lost much from last season when he was lights out, I do not see why he must all of a sudden regress.Huard239/3952975 YDs19 TDs7 INTsCroyle29/55375 YDs1 TD5 INTs
He's been a career backup. Why do you think last year was the norm and not the abberation?

I expect Huard to get 90 percent of the snaps this season, and given that he has not exactly lost much from last season when he was lights out, I do not see why he must all of a sudden regress.Huard239/3952975 YDs19 TDs7 INTsCroyle29/55375 YDs1 TD5 INTs
He's been a career backup. Why do you think last year was the norm and not the abberation?
On the same note - if you think he is that good don't you think the Chiefs would have seen it and not drafted Croyle (or better yet play Huard and trade Green). Huard is a career backup and will never be anything more, I do not think KC knows what is has in Croyle but is willing to give him a shot. He seems to be showing plenty of promise in the OTA and workouts this offseason but Croyle has a history of injuries dating back to college (as well as High School), he does not have great size but is a very good athlete If BC fails next year look for the Chiefs to draft a QB early or go after one in free agency.

I dont think there is much to like for the QB of the KC Chiefs, the potential worst team in the NFL.
:doh: :bag: :stalker: What in the hell makes you think they may be the worst team in the NFL?Teams that win 9 games one season and get better in the offseason don't generally become THE WORST TEAM IN FOOTBALL the next season.

www.openyoureyes.com.

Upgrade: WR, LT, RT, DT, OLB, MLB, S

Downgrade: RG (if you can call it that), DE (for 4 games, but they've added great depth), CB (age)

I don't know how a team that won 9 games, was ranked middle of the pack on offense and just above that mark on defense goes to the worst team in the entire NFL, but sure - it'll happen.

www.openyoureyes.com.Upgrade: WR, LT, RT, DT, OLB, MLB, SDowngrade: RG (if you can call it that), DE (for 4 games, but they've added great depth), CB (age)I don't know how a team that won 9 games, was ranked middle of the pack on offense and just above that mark on defense goes to the worst team in the entire NFL, but sure - it'll happen.
I dont see how you can call WR an upgrade. Just because they drafted a rookie WR wont make much of a difference THIS year.Downgrade: QB, possibly RB if LJ holds out

I am sure the same thing was said about Rich Gannon, and Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac.......See a trend there?????? KC is pretty good about finding veteran QBs.Let me present the same question to you.....Why is last year an aberration and not him simply finally getting a chance.The guy has played behind Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Trent Green. Not exactly Kordell Stewart, Stoney Case, Joey Harrington and Casey Printers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect Huard to get 90 percent of the snaps this season, and given that he has not exactly lost much from last season when he was lights out, I do not see why he must all of a sudden regress.

Huard

239/395

2975 YDs

19 TDs

7 INTs

Croyle

29/55

375 YDs

1 TD

5 INTs
I am sure the same thing was said about Rich Gannon, and Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac.......See a trend there?????? KC is pretty good about finding veteran QBs.

Let me present the same question to you.....Why is last year an aberration and not him simply finally getting a chance.

The guy has played behind Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Trent Green. Not exactly Kordell Stewart, Stoney Case, Joey Harrington and Casey Printers.
Those were system Qbs. I wouldnt really call Herm Edward's led team as a great system for Qbs.

shadyridr said:
I dont see how you can call WR an upgrade. Just because they drafted a rookie WR wont make much of a difference THIS year.Downgrade: QB, possibly RB if LJ holds out
Then call WR a wash (which is ridiculous but for the sake of it lets play along).Quarterback?Please. We'll need to wait and see before we judge that position. If it's Croyle, sure - it'll probably be a downgrade (not that Trent Green was any good). If it's Huard starting 16 games, it'll be an UPGRADE.Most likely, the overall performance from that position will be about equal to last year's.

Huard

239/395

2975 YDs

19 TDs

7 INTs

Croyle

29/55

375 YDs

1 TD

5 INTs
On the same note - if you think he is that good don't you think the Chiefs would have seen it and not drafted Croyle (or better yet play Huard and trade Green). Huard is a career backup and will never be anything more, I do not think KC knows what is has in Croyle but is willing to give him a shot. He seems to be showing plenty of promise in the OTA and workouts this offseason but Croyle has a history of injuries dating back to college (as well as High School), he does not have great size but is a very good athlete If BC fails next year look for the Chiefs to draft a QB early or go after one in free agency.
Croyle was (drafted) on the team before Huard saw any regular season playing time.

Huard

239/395

2975 YDs

19 TDs

7 INTs

Croyle

29/55

375 YDs

1 TD

5 INTs
Croyle was (drafted) on the team before Huard saw any regular season playing time.
True BUT the listed below are the teams he has been on and none of these teams thought he was worth being their starting QB. 1998 MIA

1999 MIA

2000 MIA

2001 NE

2002 NE

2003 NE

2006 KC

I think the great Jay Fiedler beat him out for the MIA job.

As I said before........

The guy has played behind Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Trent Green. Not exactly Kordell Stewart, Stoney Case, Joey Harrington and Casey Printers.
Jay Fiedler is the lone exception when he took over fro Dan Marino in MIA in 2000.

:shrug:

Drafted both of these guys, hoping one of them would lock down the job before the season started -- I personally see Huard getting the job, with Croyle getting snaps in blowouts. Mostly because Huard's success last season and the inexperience of Croyle.

Eventually it should be Brodie's gig.

Huard:

220/389

2500 yds

24 TDs

8 INTS

bump because i have to make a decision today on whether to taxi Russell or Croyle and was hoping for new insight here

Huard just turned 34. Let me ask you a question. If the Eagles thought Donovan McNabb was so good, don't you think they would have seen it and not drafted Kevin Kolb. The point is, that you need to be proactive in your personnel moves especially at the QB position.The fact that the Chiefs drafted Croyle is really no reflection on how they view Huard for this season.

www.openyoureyes.com.Upgrade: WR, LT, RT, DT, OLB, MLB, SDowngrade: RG (if you can call it that), DE (for 4 games, but they've added great depth), CB (age)I don't know how a team that won 9 games, was ranked middle of the pack on offense and just above that mark on defense goes to the worst team in the entire NFL, but sure - it'll happen.
Downgrade at QB? Did you even watch the Chiefs last year?Trent Green 2006: 8 | 121 198 61.1 1342 6.8 7 9 | 19 59 0 Damon Huard 2006: 10 | 148 244 60.7 1878 7.7 11 1 | 9 9 0 The Chiefs went 4-5 in games that Green started. 5-3 in games that Huard started. Green was terrible last year. Anything is an upgrade at QB for KC compared to what Green gave them last season.

Users who are viewing this thread