What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players With Huge Upside (1 Viewer)

Wayne King

Footballguy
Hey guys, I am a die hard Packers fan and I follow them religiously, therefore I don't have the time to really read up on the hidden gems around the league.

Who do you think is going to have a much better year than where they are being drafted or projected to being drafted.

My player is James Jones the rookie wide receiver for GB.

Now I have already admitted that I am a GB fan so I am a little biased, but as a seasoned FF veteran, I never fall in love, especially with GB players.

FBGs projects him to have 4 TDs and a little over 500 yards receiving.

If you have watched him at all in the preseason like I have you would find it hard to agree with these projections.

In three games he has nearly 200 yards and 2 TDs this was done against the starting Defenses and didn't even play the entire games.

He didn't score a TD against Jacksonville but each of his 6 catches were for first downs. He is big and strong and runs extremely well after the catch. Initial reports were that he looked like Sterling Sharpe. I didn't believe it, but after watching him in the preseason, I would have to agree.

Now I understand it is only preseason, but if we just bump his stats up conservatively to like

700 yards and 7 TDs this raises him above quite a bit of other receivers.

There is who I have.... now who is your sleeper/gem of the draft.

I've mentioned it before, but I think Ronald Curry is in line for a strong season if he can somehow stay healthy. Just not a Porter believer.

Hey guys, I am a die hard Packers fan and I follow them religiously, therefore I don't have the time to really read up on the hidden gems around the league.

Who do you think is going to have a much better year than where they are being drafted or projected to being drafted.

Now I have already admitted that I am a GB fan so I am a little biased, but as a seasoned FF veteran, I never fall in love, especially with GB players.

If you have watched him at all in the preseason like I have you would find it hard to agree with these projections.

In three games he has nearly 200 yards and 2 TDs this was done against the starting Defenses and didn't even play the entire games.

He didn't score a TD against Jacksonville but each of his 6 catches were for first downs. He is big and strong and runs extremely well after the catch. Initial reports were that he looked like Sterling Sharpe. I didn't believe it, but after watching him in the preseason, I would have to agree.

Now I understand it is only preseason, but if we just bump his stats up conservatively to like

Hey, with the uncertain that's surrounding the RB situation in GBP Land these days, he just might be sitting in your own back yard.DeShawn Wynn GBP-RB

is suddenly looking like an upside guy, especially if he includes pass blocking as a skill!It's coming down to Noah Herron or Wynn and Noah Herron's nothing special, right?

Both Jacoby and James Jones went in Round 10 of my redraft yesterday in a 12 team start 1 RB, 3 WR, and 1 UTIL format. I have them down as sleepers certainly but the news is out on them and they are now overvalued it appears as they are going before the QB's, defenses, and many RBBC pairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon Jacobs. He's getting no respect in fantasy drafts. Has anybody ever seen this guy run? He's a beast and his competition is the underachieving Droughns. I think at his ADP he has lots of upside.

Jerious Norwood as well. He could supplant W. Dunn this year.

Leinart. He's typically ranked at 12th overall for QBs. Yes, it's only his second year and the HC likes to run, but he has some serious passing weapons which lends to his upside. Even if the coach likes to run the ball, he can't ignore the fact the Boldin and Fitz are a great passing duo, along with Bryant Johnson who is respectable as well. My bet is he'll at least outperform the likes of Roethlisberger and the overrated Vince Young.

Mike Furry - I know Calvin Johnson is there now but Furrey was 2nd in the NFL in receptions last year and he's still got the same QB. IMO, this guy is still going to be very effective now that there is another freak of nature out there to target. Furrey might be wide open 100 times this year.

Brandon Jacobs. He's getting no respect in fantasy drafts. Has anybody ever seen this guy run? He's a beast and his competition is the underachieving Droughns. I think at his ADP he has lots of upside.
And now comes word that Droughns could be used exclusively as a fullback in NY, potentially giving Jacobs a bit more value.Droughns at FB

Mike Furry - I know Calvin Johnson is there now but Furrey was 2nd in the NFL in receptions last year and he's still got the same QB. IMO, this guy is still going to be very effective now that there is another freak of nature out there to target. Furrey might be wide open 100 times this year.
:popcorn: People automatically assume that Calvin will come in and blow away the competition, Its well documented there is a learning curve for WR rookies, Yes Calvin is a stud, but with the attention to Roy and Calvin that will leave Mike Furrey virtually forgotten and therefore wide open. Kitna will throw to who's open not to whose a physical freak.Ahman Green, for a number #3 RB if healthy will have a good year (knows offense well back in GB)

Lamont Jordan has looked good thus far in preseason. I can see him surprising people and being a real gem as compared to where he is being drafted.

Rogi said:
Brandon Jacobs. He's getting no respect in fantasy drafts. Has anybody ever seen this guy run? He's a beast and his competition is the underachieving Droughns. I think at his ADP he has lots of upside. Jerious Norwood as well. He could supplant W. Dunn this year.Leinart. He's typically ranked at 12th overall for QBs. Yes, it's only his second year and the HC likes to run, but he has some serious passing weapons which lends to his upside. Even if the coach likes to run the ball, he can't ignore the fact the Boldin and Fitz are a great passing duo, along with Bryant Johnson who is respectable as well. My bet is he'll at least outperform the likes of Roethlisberger and the overrated Vince Young.
Completely agree. Jacobs ,even if he doesn't get a huge amount of yards, will undoubtedly get the carries inside the 5. You've got to figure with a healthy season that equates to 12-15 TDs.Dunn, is still spry, but Norwood has skills that can not be ignored and won't be ignored. How many RBs did Louisville use? Yup, Norwood is a Dunn injury away from Studsville and even with Dunn healthy will be a great bye week fill in and #3.Leinart....lots of potential....how much will they throw is the question.

TheDirtyWord said:
Furry = overrated in my opinion. Calling it right now, 2006 was a one year wonder.

pghrob said:
Lamont Jordan has looked good thus far in preseason. I can see him surprising people and being a real gem as compared to where he is being drafted.
Great one to grab in the later rounds. Being undervalued because of last years debocle in Oak town

Kevin Wentland said:
Hey guys, I am a die hard Packers fan and I follow them religiously, therefore I don't have the time to really read up on the hidden gems around the league.Who do you think is going to have a much better year than where they are being drafted or projected to being drafted.My player is James Jones the rookie wide receiver for GB.Now I have already admitted that I am a GB fan so I am a little biased, but as a seasoned FF veteran, I never fall in love, especially with GB players.FBGs projects him to have 4 TDs and a little over 500 yards receiving.If you have watched him at all in the preseason like I have you would find it hard to agree with these projections.In three games he has nearly 200 yards and 2 TDs this was done against the starting Defenses and didn't even play the entire games.He didn't score a TD against Jacksonville but each of his 6 catches were for first downs. He is big and strong and runs extremely well after the catch. Initial reports were that he looked like Sterling Sharpe. I didn't believe it, but after watching him in the preseason, I would have to agree.Now I understand it is only preseason, but if we just bump his stats up conservatively to like 700 yards and 7 TDs this raises him above quite a bit of other receivers.There is who I have.... now who is your sleeper/gem of the draft.
More importantly Favre seems to seek him out when a clutch catch is needed. It appears to me he really likes and trusts him, enough so to diminsh Jennings play.

Rogi said:
Brandon Jacobs. He's getting no respect in fantasy drafts. Has anybody ever seen this guy run? He's a beast and his competition is the underachieving Droughns. I think at his ADP he has lots of upside. Jerious Norwood as well. He could supplant W. Dunn this year.Leinart. He's typically ranked at 12th overall for QBs. Yes, it's only his second year and the HC likes to run, but he has some serious passing weapons which lends to his upside. Even if the coach likes to run the ball, he can't ignore the fact the Boldin and Fitz are a great passing duo, along with Bryant Johnson who is respectable as well. My bet is he'll at least outperform the likes of Roethlisberger and the overrated Vince Young.
Completely agree. Jacobs ,even if he doesn't get a huge amount of yards, will undoubtedly get the carries inside the 5. You've got to figure with a healthy season that equates to 12-15 TDs.Dunn, is still spry, but Norwood has skills that can not be ignored and won't be ignored. How many RBs did Louisville use? Yup, Norwood is a Dunn injury away from Studsville and even with Dunn healthy will be a great bye week fill in and #3.Leinart....lots of potential....how much will they throw is the question.
I like the way they are using Norwood ala Reggie Bush, in motion out of the back field and split out wide. I just wish Harrington was as good as Brees.

Rogi said:
I like Leinart. He's far more mobile than I gave him credit for & that's huge with the erratic line play he's likely to see. I disagree on VY though, I actually think he's a tad underrated. All I've heard is "who is he going to throw to?" He performed quite nicely last season as a rookie with all stars like Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade. I can't see him doing much worse but I can see him doing alot better.

Olindo Mare is going to be awesome this year, but he's one of the last kickers being drafted.

I agree with the prior postings of Vikings D and Lamont Jordan. Both will have value that shatters their ADP.

pghrob said:
Another guy I put in that class is Ahman Green. He should provide nice value, and I see him drafted after other RBs that are in RBBCs. Green plays in the weak AFC south too!

TheDirtyWord said:
Furry = overrated in my opinion. Calling it right now, 2006 was a one year wonder.
Isn't McDonald going to be used in Furrey's role as well. I doubt Furrey gets all the looks as he did last year as there will be more 4WR sets and McDonald in the mix as well.I actually think McDonald will produce slightly better stats than Furrey as well.

I don't know if it is valid to include him in this topic but I think Mark Clayton has nice upside and I am hoping to get him as my WR3.

Three other guys I would also like to get at least two of for WR depth are:

Michael Jenkins

Bernard Berrian

Ronald Curry

Kevin Wentland said:

More importantly Favre seems to seek him out when a clutch catch is needed. It appears to me he really likes and trusts him, enough so to diminsh Jennings play.
Having seen all of the Packers preseason games, I feel compelled to mention that 14 of Jones' 21 targets have come from Aaron Rodgers. It's Rodgers and Jones that really seem to have great chemistry. Favre seems to really like Jones, but Brett's already pointed out that the kid has to work on the mental side of his game..route running, blocking, etc. The one TD catch Jones had from Favre, he ran the wrong route..but Brett still found him:http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651716

I think he's going to be a very good player, but I also think that some people on this site are starting to go a bit overboard.

Speaking of players with huge upside, this will be your last chance to scoop up Aaron Rodgers for peanuts. I think he's had an even better camp than James Jones. He's ready...

Kevin Wentland said:

Having seen all of the Packers preseason games, I feel compelled to mention that 14 of Jones' 21 targets have come from Aaron Rodgers. It's Rodgers and Jones that really seem to have great chemistry. Favre seems to really like Jones, but Brett's already pointed out that the kid has to work on the mental side of his game..route running, blocking, etc. The one TD catch Jones had from Favre, he ran the wrong route..but Brett still found him:http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=651716

I think he's going to be a very good player, but I also think that some people on this site are starting to go a bit overboard.

Speaking of players with huge upside, this will be your last chance to scoop up Aaron Rodgers for peanuts. I think he's had an even better camp than James Jones. He's ready...
I should have specified preseason game #3.

Rogi said:

Leinart. He's typically ranked at 12th overall for QBs. Yes, it's only his second year and the HC likes to run, but he has some serious passing weapons which lends to his upside. Even if the coach likes to run the ball, he can't ignore the fact the Boldin and Fitz are a great passing duo, along with Bryant Johnson who is respectable as well. My bet is he'll at least outperform the likes of Roethlisberger and the overrated Vince Young.
have YOU seen him run?! has 1 move - straight ahead. 21 carries for just 81 yards in preseason. hasn't seen anything but a vanilla defense so far. likely to see 8-man fronts , starting opening day. don't forget Kevin Gilbride's chuck-n-duck offense has never worked since he left Houston all those years ago...it won't work now,either.

Jacobs ADP is around #15-20 RB..there is no upside to Jacobs or his adp.he's already VASTLY overrated, and will flounder in the lead role, much like Stacey Mack did in another one of Coughlin's half-baked offenses..

I. Bruce for the Rams, Holt's hurting, Curtis is gone, he went 4-77 last preseason game, everyone says he's to old, but I think he's the same age as Harrison 35?, T.O.'s going to be 33, I look more at condition then age, and Bruce appears to be in great shape.

I. Bruce for the Rams, Holt's hurting, Curtis is gone, he went 4-77 last preseason game, everyone says he's to old, but I think he's the same age as Harrison 35?, T.O.'s going to be 33, I look more at condition then age, and Bruce appears to be in great shape.
I hope so because my WR's suck.

Gopher State said:
Curtis is gone, but they signed Drew Bennett

Oh jeez, now your going to get a lecture from nygiants56."I'm not even going to mention the tendinitis. Just wait until he takes a hit on that bum shoulder, and even if he holds up what about Betts? Betts is the better RB in that offense and is going to put up at least 1k yards, and imagine if Portis goes down as expected after week 3, then what? I'll tell you what, then Betts puts up 2k total yards and 15 TD's."

Kevin Curtis..

Mcnabb and Curtis seem to be on the same page so far this pre-saeson.

Reggie Brown may be the #1 but I see Curtis getting a lot of love this year from McNabb.

His ADP is in the lower to middle rounds.

Skyking

Lets all jump on the James Jones bandwagon...a week late.

Seriously man, even Yahoo article writers have been all about this guy for a while.

nygiants56 said:
Rogi said:

have YOU seen him run?! has 1 move - straight ahead. 21 carries for just 81 yards in preseason. hasn't seen anything but a vanilla defense so far. likely to see 8-man fronts , starting opening day. don't forget Kevin Gilbride's chuck-n-duck offense has never worked since he left Houston all those years ago...it won't work now,either.

Jacobs ADP is around #15-20 RB..there is no upside to Jacobs or his adp.he's already VASTLY overrated, and will flounder in the lead role, much like Stacey Mack did in another one of Coughlin's half-baked offenses..
Stacey Mack?213 rushes for 877 yds and 9 TDs? Finished ranked 16th among RBs? That's not so bad for a team that didn't run at all.

How on earth has nobody mentioned Daunte Culpepper yet? It's not very often that you can roster a guy who is currently starting and was once actually the #1 VBD producer... AT ANY POSITION... as your QB4.

Demetrius Williams WR Baltimore has a chance to come on mid season. He's big, fast and has looked good in camp. Mason is old and will be giving some targets to him.

Its tough to pick rookie WR as sleepers. Very rarley do they do much their first year. Theres a big difference running routes in college than the NFL..

Demetrius Williams WR Baltimore has a chance to come on mid season. He's big, fast and has looked good in camp. Mason is old and will be giving some targets to him.

Its tough to pick rookie WR as sleepers. Very rarley do they do much their first year. Theres a big difference running routes in college than the NFL..
:thumbup:

N.Y. Shreks said:
CrossEyed said:
JP Losman
Agreed. I think he will turn some heads this year.
I think his MAJOR breakthrough will come next year.
Possible, but his schedule this season is BRUTAL, and his (lack of a decent) O line looks like it'll get him killed. (just watched the TN game on NFLN)Also, the shaky running game won't help his cause much. Don't get me wrong, I like JP, but there are some problems that need to be addressed, or he's going to have a tough year.ETA - Jason Avant (sp) PHI - may get the #2 WR w/ Curtis playing in the slot on passing downs. Not sure how this plays out, but maybe worth a last rounder.

Galloway/Alex Smith/Cadillac Williams/Garcia

As long as Garcia is healthy, that should be a very different Tampa offense from last year. No more 8 man fronts and a QB who can throw.

Galloway was WR15 last year with a hodepodge of QBs, his ADP this year? WR27.

nygiants56 said:
Rogi said:

In preseason. I try not to make too many assumptions based on preseason. If you want to base your opinions on preseason, then consider the fact that Jacobs' preseason ypc is better than the likes of Travis Henry, Addai, Alexander, MJD, Willie Parker, McGahee, Cedric Benson, Edge, Caddy, Ronnie Brown, and Westbrook. I don't think I would throw the guy under the bus for a 3.9ypc after just 21 carries. I still think he's a steal at his ranking.

How on earth has nobody mentioned Daunte Culpepper yet? It's not very often that you can roster a guy who is currently starting and was once actually the #1 VBD producer... AT ANY POSITION... as your QB4.
:lmao: I think he will be productive this year (worthy of starting). He looks great.

QB's

Losman

E. Manning

J. Harrignton

RB's

L. Washignton

L. Jordan

C. Portis if you get him in the third round or later

WR's

R. Curry

J. Cotchery can often be had for a WR 4 yet he was a solid WR 2-3 last season.

TE

E. Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread