What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (5 Viewers)

I would like to do the opposite. I’d like to praise a coach.

Mike McCarthy.

Just a heartfelt thank you for your ingenious and creative play design on the last play of your season again.

I mean, the brilliance of finally getting some value out of one of the highest paid RB’s and using him as Center. Great value add.

Then to baffle the defense and throw it 7 yards to your 6th WR is legendary stuff bud. I just can’t believe it didn’t work, this like 4D chess level think on display here.

Our franchise is a ****ing joke.
Get stuffed Jerry, Mike and Kellen. The Mount Rushmore of assclowns
Would be interesting to know what the actual design on the last play was. Elliott obviously had a role somewhere in the play and SF seemed to know that because Al-Shaair lined up right on Zeke and bowled him over instead of just taking a straight line to Dak. But yeah, really stupid play
I think it’s a quick read to EE, who wasn’t supposed to actually block anyone.

Still wouldn’t have worked, but I’m reasonably certain the plan wasn’t to convert EE to a center & get him destroyed.

Hilarious, but yeah - not the design.
But Olsen pointed out that Elliott wasn't an eligible receiver, so while he could take a lateral during the play, he couldn't be the receiver.
It looks like Dak was running around to get a pitch from the receiver. Maybe follow the blockers on the left side as far as he can go, and then throw it cross-field to CeeDee, who also had some blockers in front of him?

:shrug:
None of it made sense.

But while EE wasn’t an eligible receiver, he could still get the ball on a lateral.
Not after he was driven three feet under the turf he couldn’t
Well yes, good point. :lol:

Siriani running Hurts on three consecutive plays (at least one of which he took a big shot) and maybe even a few more, before running three straight scrum plays with Hurts at the goal line.

The Eagles were in complete control with Purdy out and SF with literally no chance to mount a comeback at that point. Really idiotic coaching.

SF not challenging the Smith catch is an all-timer. I get the replays shown early were a bad angle, but at worst you lose the challenge and a time-out. A time-out after a big momentum shifting play is not a high cost. Then you leave the three timeouts at the end of the half anyway? Way too conservative.

SF not challenging the Smith catch is an all-timer. I get the replays shown early were a bad angle, but at worst you lose the challenge and a time-out. A time-out after a big momentum shifting play is not a high cost. Then you leave the three timeouts at the end of the half anyway? Way too conservative.
There wasn’t any real question until the other angle showed up. From the live view everything looked good.
Only weird thing I thought at the time was why is Smith hand signaling the whole team. I then questioned it a little, but not enough for me to think 100% not a catch.

Siriani running Hurts on three consecutive plays (at least one of which he took a big shot) and maybe even a few more, before running three straight scrum plays with Hurts at the goal line.

The Eagles were in complete control with Purdy out and SF with literally no chance to mount a comeback at that point. Really idiotic coaching.
a) Pretty sure it was two scrum plays, not 3.
b) It ended in a TD, right? Not sure "idiotic coaching" is the word we're looking for here

b) It ended in a TD, right? Not sure "idiotic coaching" is the word we're looking for here
Exposing your only chance at winning a Super Bowl, Hurts, to that much intentional punishment in a game you have under control seems unwise.

Absolutely the correct phrasing.

SF not challenging the Smith catch is an all-timer
I can't put that in all-timer type of stuff considering the game was not close but I did think in real time, before I saw a replay, that SF should have challenged because the one guy who would know if he caught it cleanly or not was obviously asking for his team to rush up and snap it so it could not be reviewed. Understanding players can be wrong or try and dupe you but considering the magnitude of the play that would have been all I needed to see to challenge it.

SF not challenging the Smith catch is an all-timer
I can't put that in all-timer type of stuff considering the game was not close but I did think in real time, before I saw a replay, that SF should have challenged because the one guy who would know if he caught it cleanly or not was obviously asking for his team to rush up and snap it so it could not be reviewed. Understanding players can be wrong or try and dupe you but considering the magnitude of the play that would have been all I needed to see to challenge it.
I think his huge mistake was not calling a timeout. Just call a timeout there and give your staff a chance to catch a replay.

Such a big moment it's worth the TO in the first half even if there's only a 10% chance he dropped it.

Somewhat related... 2nd Q, Eagles have a 4th & 1 at their own 34. Score tied 7-7 after 49ers just scored and had some momentum. Eagles last 3 drives were 3 plays for 6 yards, 4 plays for 11 yards, and 3 plays for -4 yards. Purdy is out and Johnson is in.

My thought was that the 9ers would probably struggle to move the ball so why give them a chance to gain possession already in FG range at least. Punt and rely on your D vs JJ and get a stop or maybe a turnover. I turned to another season ticket holder in my section when they were lining up to go for it and said "I don't like this" and he responded "me neither". Well, it worked and they picked it up and his guest sitting between us who's not usually at games said to both of us something like, "You dorks need to relax." :oldunsure:;(

Exposing your only chance at winning a Super Bowl, Hurts, to that much intentional punishment in a game you have under control seems unwise.
I can't find the quote I'm looking for but Sirianni's been asked this in one of his post-game press conference this season. He believes Hurts is has less risk of injury in those QB sneaks than he does standing in the pocket. There are no players flying around hitting him full speed. QBs are hurt in the pocket just as much as they are running the ball. Just look at the injuries SF suffered last night - both on hits in the pocket. Hurts not only finished the game, they also won.

Whatever we think of it as fans, the team is 16-1 with Hurts playing his game. The Eagles are going into the SB with all 22 opening day starters in the lineup. They play their game and they've been pretty successful at it.

I can't find the quote I'm looking for but Sirianni's been asked this in one of his post-game press conference this season. He believes Hurts is has less risk of injury in those QB sneaks than he does standing in the pocket.
That might apply if he was passing the ball which he had no reason to do either.
Sure, but they've been doing it all year long. This wasn't a one-off play that leaves us scratching our heads. They've been quite successful doing it. I'm 100% certain they'll do it in the SB as well if the situation calls for it.

SF should have challenged because the one guy who would know if he caught it cleanly or not was obviously asking for his team to rush up and snap it so it could not be reviewed. Understanding players can be wrong or try and dupe you but considering the magnitude of the play that would have been all I needed to see to challenge
Yeah, Smith knew better than anyone that he didn't make a clean catch and that was obvious to the whole stadium through his actions. Everyone of course than the officials and the opposing coaching staff.

I think his huge mistake was not calling a timeout. Just call a timeout there and give your staff a chance to catch a replay.

Such a big moment it's worth the TO in the first half even if there's only a 10% chance he dropped it.
Then just challenge. If you call a TO and look and think to challenge....then challenge and lose you lose two timeouts. Where if you just challenge and lose you lose 1. I would rather just challenge than have the possibility of losing two timeouts and the challenge.

Then just challenge. If you call a TO and look and think to challenge....then challenge and lose you lose two timeouts. Where if you just challenge and lose you lose 1. I would rather just challenge than have the possibility of losing two timeouts and the challenge.
Shanny had to challenge that.

Everyone at the BBQ I was at was yelling “Challenge that!”

And we hadn’t even seen that 3rd angle where it showed that it clearly wasn’t a catch.

But yeah - that he went into the half having not used all of his time-outs made it even worse.

You do have a good point here. My thought in just initially using a TO there is that if you confirm by video it was a catch then you haven't burned a challenge. Ideally - and I think this happens in most cases - a replay will give you pretty close to definitive evidence one way or another that you don't significant risk blowing a second TO if you do wind up challenging.

I guess the ultimate point here is that, in a play of that magnitude, in the first half, with the eagles running up to the line... Shanahan needed to do something there.

Minor nitpick: While I agree with you in regard to the situation in yesterday's game, losing a challenge has a cost beyond wasting a timeout, namely that you only have one more challenge available for the rest of the game. Whereas if you win that first challenge, you get two more. So if you're faced with that dilemma early in the game, it's one additional consideration

Yep. Worth the risk when you see the guy who caught the ball waving for this teammates to hurry up. He knew he didn't catch it.

Kyle is an excellent coach, but blew that one

Minor nitpick: While I agree with you in regard to the situation in yesterday's game, losing a challenge has a cost beyond wasting a timeout, namely that you only have one more challenge available for the rest of the game. Whereas if you win that first challenge, you get two more. So if you're faced with that dilemma early in the game, it's one additional consideration
Yep exactly. That's why I suggested just an initial timeout. And my opinion probably changes if it weren't the first half but, in the first half, that TO isn't as important (though I'm open to some advanced statistical analysis proving me wrong).

I think the bolded is only correct if you get the 2nd one correct also. I though in order to get a 3rd challenge you needed to get both of the first two correct. If you split (one right and one wrong) you wouldn't get a third challenge.

I think the bolded is only correct if you get the 2nd one correct also. I though in order to get a 3rd challenge you needed to get both of the first two correct. If you split (one right and one wrong) you wouldn't get a third challenge.
Yes, you're right

Yep exactly. That's why I suggested just an initial timeout. And my opinion probably changes if it weren't the first half but, in the first half, that TO isn't as important (though I'm open to some advanced statistical analysis proving me wrong).
Good point. In the first half, a TO is less valuable, and having limited challenges for the rest of the game is more costly. Whereas in the second half, both of those equations flip

McCarthy getting rid of Moore makes me think it's the beginning of the end for him in Dallas.
You don't often see a team fire it's OC after a 12 win season where they're the 4th best offense, and only lose in the playoffs on the road to the #1 defense in the league,

Reactions: Bri

Steichen is calling the plays not Nick so it's be on Steichen

Only chance at a Super Bowl? The Eagles have the defense to win it and with the weapons on Offense Minshew could probably win just by managing the game. Lets not act like Hurts is Patrick Mahomes here.

SHanhan putting an injured Brock Purdy back in the game. Dude had a torn UCL he wasn't doing ****. Especially when your team literally gave up already.

Only chance at a Super Bowl? The Eagles have the defense to win it and with the weapons on Offense Minshew could probably win just by managing the game. Lets not act like Hurts is Patrick Mahomes here.
Just stop. Just.....stop.

We saw Minshew - he looked terrible against the Saints at home and lost to the Cowboys. He's not beating KC in the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
SHanhan putting an injured Brock Purdy back in the game. Dude had a torn UCL he wasn't doing ****. Especially when your team literally gave up already.
Not a doctor, so I don't know how bad the injury was or how much additional risk he was taking on by playing. But what was Shanny supposed to do at that point? It was either Purdy or CMC running the Wildcat. Anyway, I would assume he got clearance from the team doctor

Not a doctor, so I don't know how bad the injury was or how much additional risk he was taking on by playing. But what was Shanny supposed to do at that point? It was either Purdy or CMC running the Wildcat. Anyway, I would assume he got clearance from the team doctor

Should have gone to the wildcat for sure.

Steichen is calling the plays not Nick so it's be on Steichen

Still on the head coach if he doesn't immediately punch out the guy calling the plays.

Leaving Purdy in the game was basically like playing with 10 guys. 25 other guys in the roster could throw better than Purdy at that point, and all of them run better.
I was astounded, so bad

Leaving Purdy in the game was basically like playing with 10 guys. 25 other guys in the roster could throw better than Purdy at that point, and all of them run better.
I was astounded, so bad

Right, and what's the point playing with 10 guys when you can pull the QB, add an extra lineman, and direct snap to CMC? That's effectively playing with 12 guys. I don't get why they didn't try it.

McCarthy getting rid of Moore makes me think it's the beginning of the end for him in Dallas.
You don't often see a team fire it's OC after a 12 win season where they're the 4th best offense, and only lose in the playoffs on the road to the #1 defense in the league,
Moore wasn’t fired. He asked to be released with 1 year left on his contract. Jerry let him go.
If I was an offensive coach and could have Herbert instead of Dak I’d have done the same thing

Leaving Purdy in the game was basically like playing with 10 guys. 25 other guys in the roster could throw better than Purdy at that point, and all of them run better.I doub
I was astounded, so bad

Right, and what's the point playing with 10 guys when you can pull the QB, add an extra lineman, and direct snap to CMC? That's effectively playing with 12 guys. I don't get why they didn't try it.
I doubt many teams have a half's worth of wildcat plays that they can just roll out in the middle of a game with no practice whatsoever.

Ultimately, this debate is kind of pointless, IMO. Once Purdy got hurt, and even more so once Johnson was concussed, the Niners were in a Tom Moore situation. You can't coach your way out of ####ed

Last edited:

We saw Minshew - he looked terrible against the Saints at home and lost to the Cowboys. He's not beating KC in the Super Bowl.

Lost the Cowboys game? Eagles were driving till Miles sanders let his fumbling issues get in the way and cost them. Notice how since that game Gainwell is the go to back in the 4th and late games not Sanders.

Not all team drs are great. I'm not sure the whole the risk on it but you are putting the guy in a position to hurt something else there. it's not much to do with the injury to the arm as it is the team gave up and he could've gotten a concussion or broke something else.

Lost the Cowboys game? Eagles were driving till Miles sanders let his fumbling issues get in the way and cost them. Notice how since that game Gainwell is the go to back in the 4th and late games not Sanders.
16-1 with Hurts, 0-2 with Minshew. Minshew was terrible at home against the Saints. He's the reason Hurts had to come back injured against the Giants to prevent losing the #1 seed.

16-1 with Hurts, 0-2 with Minshew. Minshew was terrible at home against the Saints. He's the reason Hurts had to come back injured against the Giants to prevent losing the #1 seed.

No its to keep thinking that if you want. Hurts was playing week 18 VS the giants no matter what. Minshew threw for over 3OO yds vs Dal. Also the whole team sucked vs NO wasn't; just one player.

Also we all thought Nick Foles was horrible and would win a SB what makes what I said about Minshew any different.

Also we all thought Nick Foles was horrible and would win a SB what makes what I said about Minshew any different.
Foles also went 5-1 with a 115.7 QB rating in the playoffs filling in for Wentz.

Foles also went 5-1 with a 115.7 QB rating in the playoffs filling in for Wentz.

We all saw what he did in the regular season when Wentz went down he was horrible, People on this board in the team thread were all gloom and doom. I might have been the only one who thought we'd be OK with Foles. I remember people going we're 1 and done in the playoffs. Foles 2nd Eagles Career besides the playoffs was less then stellar results outside the SB year playoffs. He helped cost us that saints game. I'm not a ALshon Jeffrey fan but that play doesn't need to happen if Foles doesn't turn the ball over earlier in that game in the playoffs

We all saw what he did in the regular season when Wentz went down he was horrible, People on this board in the team thread were all gloom and doom. I might have been the only one who thought we'd be OK with Foles. I remember people going we're 1 and done in the playoffs. Foles 2nd Eagles Career besides the playoffs was less then stellar results outside the SB year playoffs. He helped cost us that saints game. I'm not a ALshon Jeffrey fan but that play doesn't need to happen if Foles doesn't turn the ball over earlier in that game in the playoffs
Yeah but Eagles fans always are all doom and gloom and assume the worst. Just listen to that knucklehead Angelo Cataldi on WIP for just a few minutes. You guys boo good draft picks (McNabb), chase good coaches out of town (Reid), and consistently turn against your better plays and do that silly self-protection thing of predicting the worst so it doesn't hurt so bad when it happens.

Yeah but Eagles fans always are all doom and gloom and assume the worst. Just listen to that knucklehead Angelo Cataldi on WIP for just a few minutes. You guys boo good draft picks (McNabb), chase good coaches out of town (Reid), and consistently turn against your better plays and do that silly self-protection thing of predicting the worst so it doesn't hurt so bad when it happens.
Not much argument here but please, w/r/t the bolded, don't go there. Reid had 5 consecutive seasons of decline culminating in his naming the O line coach DC which was an epic failure. His personal life was also a mess. He was in Philly for 14 years and we (mostly) loved him. Great success except when it came to the SB. I'm personally glad he ultimately found success in KC, but his time was up in Philly. Fans did not "run him out of town".

Plus the Eagles won a SB before he did. I was happy about that. And its not like the Eagles have struggled to fine success without him.

Not all team drs are great. I'm not sure the whole the risk on it but you are putting the guy in a position to hurt something else there. it's not much to do with the injury to the arm as it is the team gave up and he could've gotten a concussion or broke something else.
Very little risk when all he was doing was handing off. Purdy was in no danger of hurting anything else based on the playcalling that was instituted.

I don't disagree with you but Cataldi is retiring and he's the biggest enabler of the whole bad fan thing. The main guy you saw Booing McNabb apologized him early in his career here and when Cataldi wanted the guy to get the group back together to boo McNabb first WAS game he told Angelo to shove it where the sun don't shine. We also didn't run Andy out of Town. He had almost 15 yrs with us. It was time for both the Org and Him to move on. All these outsiders think we ran Andy out of town. He literally lost the locker room the last 2 years he was here. once that happens no turning back. it was time for both to move on.

Most of us appreciate Andy and what he did. Those you see not appreciating him either don't understand football, became bandwagon fans or never dealt with the personal stuff he had to with his family and are just arrogant people. Most of the drive him out of town came from the sports radio guys who suck here as well as national media people especially Steve Mariucci who coached with Andy, so it was more so guys defending their guy then anything. Most of those guys predicted horrible years ahead for the Eagles and we'd regret getting rid of him. Turned successful for both Andy and The Eagles. If I ever listen to any sports radio thank god I got Satellite radio and I just listen to NY Sports talk if I ever do listen to anything. Most of the sports radio guys here anymore are all about hot takes and nothing else. They want the low football neanderthal IQ callers to chime in. Anyone who has a good take they are rude to, hang up on them and then idiot caller who comes on next makes fun of he caller with the hosts. it's childish behavior but that's unfortunately what they want here. Eagles Org especially Roseman and Lurie along with Andy have mutual respect for one another.

In fact when Andy drafted Travis he called Jason who was with his brother acting like they were having a normal call and asked about Travis who Jason was glowing about. Jason was then asked to hand the phone to his brother where Andy asked Travis "Hey how does it feel to be a Chief player now?" Jason's Father in law does a lot of work for my work and told me that story. Anyone I talk too including my former Coworkers son who coached on both Any and Doug's staff everyone has great things to say about Andy. Don't let the media fool you the next 2 weeks about revenge on either side. If it was up to both these orgs they'd rather not play against one another. Andy also personally recommended Hurts to the Eagles as well. Doug came over with great info already on Wentz as thats who the Chiefs were looking at. If the Chiefs didn't have Mahomes or a QB already Carson would've been a Chief right now too. The metal respect they all have is second to non to one another. Hell you got Eagles fans here when the Eagles aren't in the playoffs cheering for the Chiefs in the post season.

And trust me when I say this I won't be surprised if Hurts struggles next year if all those same clowns who are supporting him now trying to run him out of town. I also think our city is a bit racist with some players too no different then a few other places. What I mean by that is Chase Utley who is white struggled the last few yrs here and was made of tefplone could do no wrong. Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard constantly got **** on. McNabb for yrs got **** on despite putting up impressive numbers. Trust me when I say this but if Hurts get injured in the Super Bowl or next year and Minshew ends up winning the SB or does well next year if he's here fans were turn on Hurts and want Minshew like they did with Wentz and Foles. Happens constantly here like clock work. There's zero loyalty from some in my fanbase and I get embarrassed by it.

Even saying that we do get an unfair rep when other sports cities have fans just as bad or worse. Media will constantly go after philly but if said instantly happens in another city little to no mention and I think thats what gets a lot of us upset. I'm usually the one if I see poor behavior I try to stop it myself or get people who can stop it. I'd love to see new tailgate rules where security goes around and checks tickets or at least parking people when you go in check to make sure they are there with a ticket. If you aren't sorry go else where. A lot of the main issues during tailgating come from the idiots there without game tickets. Inside it's a good experience for the most part. You get your occasional ******* but for the most part the only time I see terrible fan behavior is when an opponents fan starts mouthing off and poking the bear. I don't condone attacks but I'm also not gonna sit here and say I feel sorry for said person acting like an idiot either if something happens.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zow

All Eagles fans??. Wow, you sure know a lot of folks. Perhaps you should qualify your statements better??

Leaving Purdy in the game was basically like playing with 10 guys. 25 other guys in the roster could throw better than Purdy at that point, and all of them run better.I doub
I was astounded, so bad

I doubt many teams have a half's worth of wildcat plays that they can just roll out in the middle of a game with no practice whatsoever.

Ultimately, this debate is kind of pointless, IMO. Once Purdy got hurt, and even more so once Johnson was concussed, the Niners were in a Tom Moore situation. You can't coach your way out of ####ed
No, but you can at least TRY

All Eagles fans??. Wow, you sure know a lot of folks. Perhaps you should qualify your statements better??
I grew up near Philly and, if not obvious, a lot of my comments were hyperbolic in nature and meant to be in jest in large part.

Add the fact that I'm a Vikings fan and... well, I'm sure you get it. :)

ETA: Next time I'll add an emoji or some such to let you know I'm having some fun with my comments regarding the Eagles fan base...

Users who are viewing this thread