What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post Week 2 Waiver Wire Pickups (2 Viewers)

Bottom line at TE, who is the target for a Kmet Owner: Logan Thomas, Evan Engram or Tyler Conklin

All 3 are available on my redraft ww

Thanks
I would go with Engram. There does seem to be a path for him to the second passing option in an offense that may be throwing the ball a lot. Thomas is interesting, but he's going to get the leftovers after McLaurin/Dotson/Samuel/Gibson/McKissic.

Very early preemptive pick up options I am now thinking of is the Steelers QB Kenny Pickett and WR George Pickens. I think Mitch is possibly gonna get benched this Thursday. Then they use that to install Pickett for the long haul and start him up right against an easier opponent in Week 4's Jets.

Roster these guys, maybe they turn this team around and start to improve the value of these skill players and you avoid the cost to buy in.

Very early preemptive pick up options I am now thinking of is the Steelers QB Kenny Pickett and WR George Pickens. I think Mitch is possibly gonna get benched this Thursday. Then they use that to install Pickett for the long haul and start him up right against an easier opponent in Week 4's Jets.

Roster these guys, maybe they turn this team around and start to improve the value of these skill players and you avoid the cost to buy in.
I imagine Pickens is rostered in most leagues, but Pickett is an interesting thought - similar to Willis above.

FWIW, I tried to read your post envisioning it in Chong Li's voice.

Likely had 5 targets at TE yesterday. Balt runs a lot of 2 TE sets. If I had Andrews, I’m trying to find a way to stash Likely.

I had the balls to pick him up wk 1 & start him b/c of Kittle. :bag: He's still a free agent after my rage drop, but now I think I'll just stick with Engram. I'm sure Likely will be lighting up the league in the 2nd half.
I dropped him too. I grabbed him with one of my last picks. He was my TE 3 on a team with not great TE’s. I was hoping to see something week one. I regret dropping him. He looks good out there. I saw some good blocks from him as well. He’s the obvious TE pick up for TE needy teams in deeper leagues if out there.

Surprised to not see more dortch discussion.
I think Dortch might be the C Patterson(Not as dynamic) of this year. People just aren’t quite ready to believe it. He is a really good player. The problem is that once Hopkins gets back and Moore is healthy he’ll be useless. I picked him up on the team I have Moore because I realized he’s gonna be playing that roll while Moore is hurt. Moore‘s injury seems to be pretty severe so he could be out another couple weeks or more. Dortch had a great pre season and it has carried over to the regular season. He’s a nice flex or WR3 fill in right now. Moore has a history of injuries so I’d stash Dortch as a handcuff. He should be earning more targets based on how he has played. Stop throwing to AJ Green please.
That's my concern with chasing this early season production. He's got two guys ahead of him that will undoubtedly be worked into the offense prominently once they return.
I should clarify. This thread is mostly of the redraft mindset. I always think with dynasty tendacies in mind. Dortch has shown he can play.

I've decided that in the leagues where I have Russ and Brady as my QBs, I'm going to pick up a second QB and stream the position until they show me something. Wentz is the obvious choice, but I can't bring myself to use a claim on him, so I have to hope he clears waivers. If I can't get him, I think Lawrence, who probably has more season-long upside.

Goff/Flacco/Mariota/Jameis don't clear the low bar that Russ and Brady have set so far.

I've decided that in the leagues where I have Russ and Brady as my QBs, I'm going to pick up a second QB and stream the position until they show me something. Wentz is the obvious choice, but I can't bring myself to use a claim on him, so I have to hope he clears waivers. If I can't get him, I think Lawrence, who probably has more season-long upside.

Goff/Flacco/Mariota/Jameis don't clear the low bar that Russ and Brady have set so far.
I think you should go with Wentz for sure but Goff is leading the highest scoring offense in the league ATM and they have a mediocre defense. He should be on your radar if you miss out on Wentz.

ROS, rank these WW backups available:

Jimmy Garappolo
Jared Goff
Trevor Lawrence
Tua Tagovailoa
Tua Tagovailoa
Jared Goff
Trevor Lawrence
Jimmy Garappolo
+1 I could see Goff & Lawrence flip-flopped because Lawrence can actually run a bit.
Also, the odds that Goff moves out of the streamer category and becomes an every week starter are very low. Whereas with Lawrence, it's by no means guaranteed, but far more within the realm of possibility.

IMO, that's a major consideration. I don't need to pick up a guy whose ceiling is QB9

Noah Brown is in his 5th year with Dallas. Every year some experts have him not making the final cut and every year he does.
Coaches always talk about his blocking. It’s good to see him getting a chance to get on the field more and doing well.

He SHOULD be droppable when Gallup comes back which may or may not be this week

Also, the odds that Goff moves out of the streamer category and becomes an every week starter are very low. Whereas with Lawrence, it's by no means guaranteed, but far more within the realm of possibility.

IMO, that's a major consideration. I don't need to pick up a guy whose ceiling is QB9
Agreed, it's difficult to buy into. A couple reasons I am willing to consider it: 1) when healthy the Lions have arguably the best offensive line in the league. Even when not healthy they are still probably top 10. 2) ARSB & Swift are two of the best at their position in the league. We suspected both would be good after last year, but both have absolutely elevated their games this off season. Particularly ARSB who provides Goff with an amazing security blanket. Throw in a very good TE and you have an offense that is difficult to defend. 3) Ben Johnson appears to have a keen offensive mind. He's exploiting defenses and apparently making great second half adjustments. 4) Jameson Williams may actually be back later this season. I doubt he sets the world on fire this year but he is another resource defenses will have to account for. I think Ben Johnson will take advantage of that. 5) they have a suspect defense, at best. The offense should be obligated to try and score a lot of points to stay in many games this season.

Again, it is very difficult to buy into the Lions after decades of ineptitude but weird things happen. Just saying Goff should definitely be on your radar.

Agreed, it's difficult to buy into. A couple reasons I am willing to consider it: 1) when healthy the Lions have arguably the best offensive line in the league. Even when not healthy they are still probably top 10. 2) ARSB & Swift are two of the best at their position in the league. We suspected both would be good after last year, but both have absolutely elevated their games this off season. Particularly ARSB who provides Goff with an amazing security blanket. Throw in a very good TE and you have an offense that is difficult to defend. 3) Ben Johnson appears to have a keen offensive mind. He's exploiting defenses and apparently making great second half adjustments. 4) Jameson Williams may actually be back later this season. I doubt he sets the world on fire this year but he is another resource defenses will have to account for. I think Ben Johnson will take advantage of that. 5) they have a suspect defense, at best. The offense should be obligated to try and score a lot of points to stay in many games this season.

Again, it is very difficult to buy into the Lions after decades of ineptitude but weird things happen. Just saying Goff should definitely be on your radar.
As a lifelong fan, I yield to no one in my Lions cynicism, but in this case it has more to do with my Goff cynicism. Even if everything you say is true about his weapons -- and I think there's at least a little recency bias at work, although I am definitely excited by what Swift and ARSB have shown so far -- would his weapons/coaching in Detroit compare favorably to his time with the Rams in the late Teens, when he had McVay, Gurley, Cooks, Woods and Kupp? And even there, he was never more than a low-end QB1.

Lawrence, meanwhile was touted as a generational talent, and is coming off a year from hell. He certainly could fail to live up to his potential, and even if he doesn't, it may not happen this year. But we know what Goff is at this point, and while it's possible he could pull a Jim Plunkett, the odds are very much stacked against it.

(I don't actually know if Jim Plunkett was a good fantasy QB for the 17 people who were playing fantasy football in the early '80s. But he was the only example I could think of as a once-highly touted QB who resuscitated his career and enjoyed success with his second team.)

Jimmy Garappolo
Jared Goff
Trevor Lawrence
Tua Tagovailoa
The cheapest one will be Jimmy, and he has some good matchups this season. AZ 2x, LV, KC, ATL, SEA, WAS. Not a terrible consolation prize if you get out bid on the others.

Detroit staff has gone all out to boost his confidence and play to his strengths. Its still up in the air so to speak about his long term future.
He has the weapons to succeed.

Detroit staff has gone all out to boost his confidence and play to his strengths. Its still up in the air so to speak about his long term future.
He has the weapons to succeed.
Since week 12 last year he's started 6 games and is 4-2 with 15 TDs & 3 INTs. He only averages about 230 yards per game so you have to count on continued efficiency, but still I'm impressed.

I don't think he's a kingmaker necessarily but he can help you win in magic football.

Is Tua gonna be a big thing?
Top 12, possibly. Top 5 by the end of the year, very unlikely. Tua had several bad plays in the NE game, and a few in the BAL game. His big plays came on (1) bad coverage by BAL, and to his credit he took advantage, and (2) on some nice plays scrambling to his left such as the TD passes to Cracraft and Waddle. The TD pass from the pocket to Gesicki was top-notch for both players. Much of Tua's success depends on how well his oline plays, as he's been very good with a clean pocket, and scrambling to his left.

are we dropping K Toney in shallower leagues?
I'd say for sure in shallow leagues. I'm in a deeper league and I'm holding unless something fantastic comes along. There may come a point when bye weeks and injuries come around when we may have to part ways. I just know the minute I drop him he's gonna go off.

Jimmy Garappolo
Jared Goff
Trevor Lawrence
Tua Tagovailoa
Tua
Lawrence
Goff

Garappolo
In one league I lost lance in I don't think I'll be able to land Tua due to waiver position. I'm leaning Lawrence over Goff for the upside. I'd take Tua over both of I get lucky.

Detroit scored 33 in their opening last year in a loss to the 49ers. In the next 10 games, they failed to score 20 points.

Since week 13 2021, they have scored 29 or more points 6 of the last 8 games. Not coincidentally, the resurgence comes with the emergence of Amon-Ra St Brown, who has an NFL record 8 straight games with 8 or more receptions interceptions. The 71 points scored to start the 2022 season is a continuation of that. No real new faces - Chark, but he has contributed little so far. MCDC was calling the plays last year, behind the scenes he was developing the game plan with TE coach Ben Johnson - now the OC and widely regarding as one of the best young offensive minds in the game.

In his last 6 starts, Goff has outscored Trevor in magic football 5 times. Since Thanksgiving, he has 17 TDs and 3 INT in his last 7 starts.

I don't think much of Goff as an NFL quarterback. His ADOT is pathetic, he has no confidence in his own deep ball - hasn't in the last four years. Against the Commanders, 19 of his 20 completions were short passes. But Ben Johnson has found a way to work with what he has. The offensive line keeps him clean, and by design they get the ball out quick anyways.

Detroit has three 50+ splash plays in the first two weeks, which is a testament to the schematic advantage they have with their OC and the ability of their best playmakers, St Brown and Swift. I don't think Jared elevatates his teammates. But he has learned to stay in his lane, trust his coaches and teammates. He doesn't play hero ball and that's a good thing.

Long term, I think Trevor will be a vastly superior QB. But I don't know about that happening in 2022.

Anyway, of that group I think Tua has the most upside this year, and due to low volume Jimmy G is not a good idea.

Last edited:
I think it's less that Tua is a big thing and more that Hill/Waddle are huge things.

There are some good WR duos in the NFL, but that may be the best 1-2 punch out there.

Really think they stack up with anyone, including CIN, TB, SD, PHI, SEA, WAS. Boyd is a much better #3 than anyone on Miami, but I really think Hill and Chase is a push at best for Chase, while Waddle smokes Higgins. So yeah, Tua might have the best WR weapons in the NFL.

Been saying since the preseason that the Hill trade would have - effect on Mahomes and + effect on Tua. I feel like people underrated it on both sides, overestimating what Mahomes would be without Hill and underestimating what Tua might become with Hill. Tyreek isn't quite Calvin or Moss, but he's a seismic presence in a passing game. He's a force of nature out there, and a constant 50+ yard TD threat on every snap.

Top 12, possibly. Top 5 by the end of the year, very unlikely. Tua had several bad plays in the NE game, and a few in the BAL game. His big plays came on (1) bad coverage by BAL, and to his credit he took advantage, and (2) on some nice plays scrambling to his left such as the TD passes to Cracraft and Waddle. The TD pass from the pocket to Gesicki was top-notch for both players. Much of Tua's success depends on how well his oline plays, as he's been very good with a clean pocket, and scrambling to his left.
Yes...could be up and down.
Nice that he has some very good weapons at WR and TE...and the running game has been so meh, its leading to him throwing a lot.
I chose between he and Wentz...I liked a bit of both, went with the upside in Tua vs. what we at least think we know about Wentz.

The Lance owner in our league was not rostering a backup.

Tua owner dropped him Saturday night.

Lance owner used all $100 to get him off waivers last night.
  1. Lance owner no backup $100 Winning Offer​

2. Murray owner no backup $47 (Lower Offer)​

3. former Tua owner $35 (Lower Offer)​

4. Stafford/Fields owner $26 (Lower Offer)​

5. Wilson owner $11 (Lower Offer)​

6. Dak/Wentz owner $5 (Lower Offer)​

That's the most bids we've had on a single player this year. Samuel - 5, Pittsburgh DST - 4, Burkhead - 3.

Weak sauce WW so far this year.

Results across 3 standard leagues:

Tua 55%
G Wilson 50%, 42%
Pollard 13%
Mostert 7%
Goff 7%
Jamaal Williams 4%
Darrel Williams 4%, 3%
Ertz 3%
L Thomas 2%

Superflex:

Jimmy G 100%
Darrel Williams 7%
Mason 5%
Flacco 4%
DPJ 2%
Irv Smith 1%

How does Goff have such a low PFF grade, 54.4? Is he missing alot of throws?

Who knows. One thing they grade is passer rating after the first read, and that's traditionally not been a strength. He also has a very low ADOT and has been one of the worst deep ball passers in the league over the last 3+ seasons. Versus the Commanders, he completed one 23 deep intermediate to Josh Reynolds, and his other 19 completions were all short passes.

That said, those two TDs to ARSB were money. Especially the first one where he gets flushed from the pocket and throws a strike on the run. Heckuva play.

IDK that this is something they grade, but the first thing I noticed last year was the lack of velocity. Granted we were spoiled by Stafford, who had a great fastball and could jam it into a tight window. Goff's ball isn't the same kind of frozen rope that gets there super quick.

Users who are viewing this thread