What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Predicting juicy fantasy playoff matchups in August. Possible? (1 Viewer)

newteech

Footballguy
I'm sure many of you do as I do and look at your playoff weeks before your draft trying to find those players that have favorable matchups during these weeks. However so many things change between August and September I wonder if this is an exercise in futility.

I drafted Peyton Manning with a week 16 home game vs the lowly Jets as my main motivating factor. I'm sure many took Aaron Rodgers vs. Seattle and Kurt Warner vs Detroit in week 15 also with this in mind.

I never would have guessed the Jets would move from 29th to 1st in pass D in one year. Is there a secret to predicting points during these weeks or are we all just guessing?

All in all, the Jets defense played pretty well last year, and they only improved in the offseason.

I usually wait until about week 5 to look at playoff matchups when we know a little more (for certain) about the teams, then I try to acquire a handful of players with favorable matchups via trades. A favorable matchup isn't necessarily a bad defense (and a bad defense doesn't automatically mean a favorable matchup). A favorable matchup could just be players in a game that I expect to be high scoring.

I wouldn't base my draft around playoff matchups, too much can happen in 16 weeks. On the other hand, I might avoid certain players that look to have a tough start to the season or draft players that look to have an easy start to the season.

I'm sure many of you do as I do and look at your playoff weeks before your draft trying to find those players that have favorable matchups during these weeks. However so many things change between August and September I wonder if this is an exercise in futility.I drafted Peyton Manning with a week 16 home game vs the lowly Jets as my main motivating factor. I'm sure many took Aaron Rodgers vs. Seattle and Kurt Warner vs Detroit in week 15 also with this in mind.I never would have guessed the Jets would move from 29th to 1st in pass D in one year. Is there a secret to predicting points during these weeks or are we all just guessing?
The secret for the Jets was to identify a top up and coming CB on a defense that played well at times the prior year but, you see homer fans questioning the coaches who in turn get fired and they hire a well respected Defensive minded HC..... (The Jets rarely blitzed last year and allowed the most mediocre QB's all day to throw - this year they bring the house)As I recall, the Jets D was on a lot of radars entering this season as up and coming... Would I predict #1, no but, top half of the league for sure....And I also think a rookie QB and mediocre offense help out with defense stats.I'd have Cleveland on my radar next year - hopefully they stick with Rob Ryan.

I'm sure many of you do as I do and look at your playoff weeks before your draft trying to find those players that have favorable matchups during these weeks. However so many things change between August and September I wonder if this is an exercise in futility.I drafted Peyton Manning with a week 16 home game vs the lowly Jets as my main motivating factor. I'm sure many took Aaron Rodgers vs. Seattle and Kurt Warner vs Detroit in week 15 also with this in mind.I never would have guessed the Jets would move from 29th to 1st in pass D in one year. Is there a secret to predicting points during these weeks or are we all just guessing?
The secret for the Jets was to identify a top up and coming CB on a defense that played well at times the prior year but, you see homer fans questioning the coaches who in turn get fired and they hire a well respected Defensive minded HC..... (The Jets rarely blitzed last year and allowed the most mediocre QB's all day to throw - this year they bring the house)As I recall, the Jets D was on a lot of radars entering this season as up and coming... Would I predict #1, no but, top half of the league for sure....And I also think a rookie QB and mediocre offense help out with defense stats.I'd have Cleveland on my radar next year - hopefully they stick with Rob Ryan.
If I had to pick a flier for next year, I think the Redskins could be great defensively. They were already very solid, but with a new coaching staff, more stable offense, they could be Top 7. Also the Giants SHOULD bounce back, as they will improve that defense.

I remember reading stay away from Aaron Rodgers because he has Baltimore and Pittsburgh weeks 14 and 15 a lot of places. As it turns out, it was week 16 his owners needed to be concerned about, and for entirely different reasons.

I don't think the time taken to analyze the schedule in August is worth the benefit, every now and again it works but it's irrelevant a lot more often than not. Spend the time you spend analyzing the schedule analyzing a player, scheme, coaching change instead, you'll get more.

Users who are viewing this thread