What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

President Trump suggests delaying the election (1 Viewer)

From George Conway:

"In the midst of a civil war, one that for Americans was the deadliest armed conflict in history, 150,000 Union soldiers voted by mail in 1864. Their votes helped ensure the re-election of President Abraham Lincoln, the preservation of the nation, and the end of slavery."

From my Cuban friend Jose: "And what made it a littler riskier for Lincoln was that many army soldiers liked his opponent McClellan. Initially Lincoln thought he would lose the election and had resignation letters from his cabinet for before the inauguration. Sherman's success in the south helped get him re-elected."

From Marco Rubio: "..."

To be fair he can't really say things don't look good for my re-election chances right now so let's delay the election until I have a better chance. 
right.  and he can't say pay no attention to that horrible financial news behind the curtain, look instead at this outrageous, crazy president, tweet.

right.  and he can't say pay no attention to that horrible financial news behind the curtain, look instead at this outrageous, crazy president, tweet.
Read that his campaign has ran 60K ads, spent 40 million in ad buys on crime issues.

Zero on Covid.

He acts like it doesn’t exist...but we can’t have an election.

What a joke this guy is.

About 300 times I’ve thought this will be the thing that makes supporters pull the plug then see Hannity or someone explaining how this has to happen :lol:  

What were we saying in the other thread about not responding to trolls?

There are plenty of things Trump does that I find worrying. Him bloviating about an action that he doesn't even have the power to do is not one of them.

I think they might control the House - at least when it comes to choosing the next president.  I think the GOP controls the most state delegations, even if the Dems have more overall members.
I looked this up last year at some point. I think after 2018 it's very close, maybe GOP +1 or +2, and a couple states are close enough that it could easily flip if Dems have another good year.

But of course none of this will matter because the election won't be delayed and there isn't a strong enough third party to prevent either candidate from winning a majority of electoral votes

Eh. That's a very subtle bof sides there. But it still counts. 

Did both sides create the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau? Did both sides destroy it? Do both sides fight to raise the minimum wage? Do both sides fight for universal child care? Do both sides fight against predatory lenders? Do both sides want to remove environmental protection regulations from business? Do both sides fight union membership? 
oh, there are major differences between the parties, i agree. and i like one of them more than the other.

but i believe those differences are pretty much within the rails tolerated by the corporate/money influencers/donors.

but to your reference to being a prisoner that i responded to, i'm sure a prisoner might greatly prefer the policies of one warden over another's.

There are plenty of things Trump does that I find worrying. Him bloviating about an action that he doesn't even have the power to do is not one of them.
good point

I understand this sentiment, but I think it also ignores the elephant in the room, which is that Trump has routinely ignored what he "has the power" to do already. Sure, he probably can't actually stop the election, but what if he just refuses to accept the results and leave? What if some of the Republican states refuse to hold their elections?

So much of our system of governance relies on honest actors participating that this is an area where there is no pre-determined resolution, as far as I'm aware. This sentiment should absolutely scare us right now. We're racing toward a pretty critical decision point in the history of our country.

20th Amendment says his term ends at noon on Jan. 20. If no election is held, his term still ends, as does Pence's. With no duly elected President, guess who takes the office? Hello, President Pelosi.
I'm not sure the bolded is accurate.  I believe that since she is also up for election this year, her term ends at the same time.  If I remember correctly, the next person in line who is not up for election is actually a Republican, although I can't remember who that is.

I'm not sure the bolded is accurate.  I believe that since she is also up for election this year, her term ends at the same time.  If I remember correctly, the next person in line who is not up for election is actually a Republican, although I can't remember who that is.
All house repersentives are up for reelection. They only have 2 year terms. 

All house repersentives are up for reelection. They only have 2 year terms.
Correct.  Next in line after Speaker of the House is President Pro Tempore of the Senate, currently Chuck Grassley.  Grassley is not up for relection this year, so his term does not end on Jan 2021.

Of course, one could make an argument that it get more complicated than that.  One could make an argument that as of Jan 21, all Senators who are up for reelection are no longer Senators, meaning Democrats actually have a majority once the ones up for reelection are removed.

Edit: See @Kilgore Trout's post following this one, explaining more about PPT of Senate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There would be no House of Representatives because the 20th Amendment says that House and Senate terms end on January 3rd. Then succession goes to the President Pro Tem of the Senate. But here is where it gets interesting. All the seats up for re-election would not be standing Senators anymore, and the remaining Senators would be 33-30 in favor of Democrats. So they could elect a new President Pro Tem, most likely Biden. (Edit- duh, Biden hasn't been a Senator for 11 years, could be any Democratic Senator they elect).

There would be no House of Representatives because the 20th Amendment says that House and Senate terms end on January 3rd. Then succession goes to the President Pro Tem of the Senate. But here is where it gets interesting. All the seats up for re-election would not be standing Senators anymore, and the remaining Senators would be 33-30 in favor of Democrats. So they could elect a new President Pro Tem, most likely Biden.
Beat you to it by thismuch. 😉

Correct.  Next in line after Speaker of the House is President Pro Tempore of the Senate, currently Chuck Grassley.  Grassley is not up for relection this year, so his term does not end on Jan 2021.

Of course, one could make an argument that its get more complicated than that.  One could make an argument that as of Jan 21, all Senators who are up for reelection are no longer Senators, meaning Democrats actually have a majority once the ones up for reelection are removed.
Whoa.  That seems right.  There would only be 65 Senators, 35 of which are Dems.  So President Pro Tempore would be  Pat Leahy of Vermont (D).

So they could elect a new President Pro Tem, most likely Biden.
I thought the position was based solely on seniority.

ETA: Just looked it up and this has been the practice but it's not required, it could be any sitting Senator.  I don't think Biden would be eligible though, would he?

ETA2:  Constitution doesn't say it has to be a Senator.  As usual @Kilgore Trout is correct. 

Guy is a traitor. Country doesn't need this now. He should go away asap.

Our little experiment with electing a failed businessman with racist overtones who had a middling TV show is over.

Did it "piss off the libs"? Was that worth it?

Not good stuff here folks. This isn't what America should be.

Need help of the graphically talented.  We need a T-shirt design.  It should call to mind the "Don't tread on me" Flag.  The snake's skin pattern should read "U.S. Constitution".  The Caption should read "Don't Treadump on me.  It should show a caricature of the President about to wipe his feat or foot on the constitutional snake.  Will split proceeds with graphic designer after donating half of any profits to Wounded Warriors.

I told my wife about what he said in the tweet. She isn’t as politically aware as i tend to be, so her response was, shall we say, elegant.

”Of course he did. Why wouldn’t he?”

Of course, one could make an argument that its get more complicated than that.  One could make an argument that as of Jan 21, all Senators who are up for reelection are no longer Senators, meaning Democrats actually have a majority once the ones up for reelection are removed.
Just reading on this yeah since 26 Republicans and 12 Democrat senators are up for reelection. Welcome  president Patrick Leahy

I thought the position was based solely on seniority.

ETA: Just looked it up and this has been the practice but it's not required, it could be any sitting Senator.  I don't think Biden would be eligible though, would he?

ETA2:  Constitution doesn't say it has to be a Senator.  As usual @Kilgore Trout is correct. 
So President Tom Kirkman. 

Why would delaying the election reduce the alleged corrupt outcome?
It doesn't, with all that implies.   I say that as one of the few conservatives that still post in this echo chamber.

I mean, he's absolutely correct in the vote my mail scheme.  It will take months to get results, it will be rife with complete incompetence on a local level.  This election took a month before they even finished counting mail in ballots - at a small local level.  A national level will be an unmitigated disaster.

The answer is to have this election on time, but stretch the polling period to 36 hours (i.e. 3 days @ 12 hrs/day) so as to spread everything out when they go to the polls.

It doesn't, with all that implies.   I say that as one of the few conservatives that still post in this echo chamber.

I mean, he's absolutely correct in the vote my mail scheme.  It will take months to get results, it will be rife with complete incompetence on a local level.  This election took a month before they even finished counting mail in ballots - at a small local level.  A national level will be an unmitigated disaster.

The answer is to have this election on time, but stretch the polling period to 36 hours so as to spread everything out.
I’m all for this. 

This will obviously not happen. This crazy stuff, his bizarre behavior, and terrible leadership is why he will lose the election. 
You would think so...you would think repeated stuff like this and so many things he has done would lead to a landslide...yet here we are.  There will be people supporting even this.

I understand this sentiment, but I think it also ignores the elephant in the room, which is that Trump has routinely ignored what he "has the power" to do already. Sure, he probably can't actually stop the election, but what if he just refuses to accept the results and leave? What if some of the Republican states refuse to hold their elections?

So much of our system of governance relies on honest actors participating that this is an area where there is no pre-determined resolution, as far as I'm aware. This sentiment should absolutely scare us right now. We're racing toward a pretty critical decision point in the history of our country.
Yes, Trump clearly doesn't respect democratic institutions, or really anything that results in him losing. We knew that well before he tweeted today.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be scared. I'm just saying I'm not any more scared after this tweet than I was beforehand.

I also think that politically, the best response from Democrats is to point out that this is loser talk. Trump is saying this stuff because he knows he's going to lose. 

The answer is to have this election on time, but stretch the polling period to 36 hours (i.e. 3 days @ 12 hrs/day) so as to spread everything out when they go to the polls.
And a complete gag order with stiff penalties for reporting results early.

The bigger problem is that Trump is actively taking steps to ensure that VBM ends up as a disaster so that he can cast doubt on the outcome. Things like underfunding the post office, refusing to budget money to state electoral commissions, etc.

All ballots are counted at the local level.

You guys are wasting your time on this whole "Who would be president if there were no election" thing.  The writers are obviously setting us up for President AOC.  I mean, they've signposted this from a mile away.

All ballots are counted at the local level.
I just meant that the volume of votes for a national level will be much higher than a local candidate based election.  

The bigger problem is that Trump is actively taking steps to ensure that VBM ends up as a disaster so that he can cast doubt on the outcome. Things like underfunding the post office, refusing to budget money to state electoral commissions, etc.
Polling procedures, budgets, etc. are a state issue, for the most part.  It is their responsibility to ensure this goes well.  From what I read from the USPS they are ready for this mail volume to come through - so hopefully that won't be an issue.  We'd like to see all valid votes counted, particularly those from our overseas service members.

The wife and I are in our 60's and both have underlying issues.  Our youngest (37) and his entire family have been diagnosed positive (all are doing okay). Point is we know how dangerous this is and we will both go and vote in person if we have to.  We're willing to risk everything to get this "president" out.  Every friend we know is of the same mind.  This is a historic moment in our country's path and we want it to reflect a positive path, not one following division and hate.

You guys are wasting your time on this whole "Who would be president if there were no election" thing.  The writers are obviously setting us up for President AOC.  I mean, they've signposted this from a mile away.
Mandatory drum circle and trust fall before each session. 

The wife and I are in our 60's and both have underlying issues.  Our youngest (37) and his entire family have been diagnosed positive (all are doing okay). Point is we know how dangerous this is and we will both go and vote in person if we have to.  We're willing to risk everything to get this "president" out.  Every friend we know is of the same mind.  This is a historic moment in our country's path and we want it to reflect a positive path, not one following division and hate.
Glad to hear they're OK. I agree with you that I would do whatever it takes to vote him out. But if your state allows you to register for mail-in ballots, please do that now and encourage others to do so as well. You can always go to the polling place later if you want, but if you miss the deadline mail-in won't be an option.

Need help of the graphically talented.  We need a T-shirt design.  It should call to mind the "Don't tread on me" Flag.  The snake's skin pattern should read "U.S. Constitution".  The Caption should read "Don't Treadump on me.  It should show a caricature of the President about to wipe his feat or foot on the constitutional snake.  Will split proceeds with graphic designer after donating half of any profits to Wounded Warriors.
I'll buy one.  Heck count me in for 2.

Users who are viewing this thread