What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

the Jets literally wouldn’t have a real QB
Obviously the Jets are all in on Rodgers right now, but Lamar Jackson, a trade for Ryan Tannehill, trading up for a QB or worse case scenario a stop gap QB are other options.

It’s so disingenuous that it always goes back to “Wilson”.

Seriously if the Packers want to act like asses now, I truly hope JD walks away and the Packers can now deal with the mess they created (assuming that is what is going on, which I don’t actually believe) - I’m just tired of Packer fans acting like they’re the only team with leverage.

The Jets have stunk for 50 years and sell out every game - they’ll survive even a Carson Wentz signing.

Last edited:
The Jets have all kinds of options. The two sides just need to get it done. Both sides have good reasons to get it done. The Packers are just fixated on what the compensation was for other veteran quarterbacks and feel they are just asking for fair market value. The Jets see the Packers wanting to move on from Rodgers and start the Jordan Love era and feel they don't have to pay what other teams paid due to circumstances being different. It will get done at some point but I'm sure the Jets have multiple plans in place.

The Jets have all kinds of options. The two sides just need to get it done. Both sides have good reasons to get it done. The Packers are just fixated on what the compensation was for other veteran quarterbacks and feel they are just asking for fair market value. The Jets see the Packers wanting to move on from Rodgers and start the Jordan Love era and feel they don't have to pay what other teams paid due to circumstances being different. It will get done at some point but I'm sure the Jets have multiple plans in place.
exactly
the Jets simply have to fall back on their long hstory of strategy to nail the QB position
problem solved
they really never wanted Rodgers in the first place
Mike White is our guy

oh, wait

That Ryan Tannehill is seen as a legit option shows how few options the jets really have.
I don't think many are acting as if the Packers are the only ones with leverage...they are just the ones that aren't in as much of a hurry as the Jets probably are. Because real options will dry up and the longer it takes, the less you get to even work with Rodgers at all.

That Ryan Tannehill is seen as a legit option shows how few options the jets really have.
I don't think many are acting as if the Packers are the only ones with leverage...they are just the ones that aren't in as much of a hurry as the Jets probably are. Because real options will dry up and the longer it takes, the less you get to even work with Rodgers at all.
Yet Love is a great legit option?
The Jets should give the Pack a hard deadline. If the deal isn't done by then, buh bye.
The Pack basically HAVE to deal Rodgers. Rodgers says Jets. Jets do not HAVE to trade for Rodgers. Rodgers is 39, needed darkness retreat to want to keep playing. What's next, outer space retreat?
Leverage advantage goes to the Jets. Anyone thinking the Pack have the leverage advantage is in wishful thinking mode.

The discussions about leverage are getting tiresome. We know there are pressures and urgencies for both teams. They are professionals in a very small close-knit market. The two head coaches are best friends. No one is going to backstab or try to renegotiate an agreed deal. The only take that is objectively wrong is when someone claims ALL the leverage is on one side or the other. There are factors going in both directions, some are obvious and others are more nuanced, complex and for the most part unknown to us commoners.

Yet Love is a great legit option?
The Jets should give the Pack a hard deadline. If the deal isn't done by then, buh bye.
The Pack basically HAVE to deal Rodgers. Rodgers says Jets. Jets do not HAVE to trade for Rodgers. Rodgers is 39, needed darkness retreat to want to keep playing. What's next, outer space retreat?
Leverage advantage goes to the Jets. Anyone thinking the Pack have the leverage advantage is in wishful thinking mode.

A legit option for what?
For the Packers being in re-tool/re-build or whatever you want to call it? Yes, a 1st round QB that finally showed some flashes is a legitimate option at the price of the option on his rookie deal.
The jets are in a different situation though aren't they? If you think you are getting the 2020 version of Tannehill (his one statistically good year)...seems unrealistic that he would come right in and have his outlier year.

The Packers do not "have" to deal him. They do want to...he wants to be dealt...that is true. But if it falls through, its not going to keep the Packers from doing what they were already going to do this year which is be in transition.
My point of leverage at the moment is because of time. The Jets need to get it done or have a resolution to it now. They can't wait til the summer. The Packers can wait. That is their advantage at the moment. It isn't wishful thinking. Its the situation with his contract, its where each team is at the moment. The Packers are in a transition mode. The Jets are getting into their window of pushing for deep playoff runs.
That leverage changes as we move later in the year, the Packers will become more desperate to move on.

The discussions about leverage are getting tiresome. We know there are pressures and urgencies for both teams. They are professionals in a very small close-knit market. The two head coaches are best friends. No one is going to backstab or try to renegotiate an agreed deal. The only take that is objectively wrong is when someone claims ALL the leverage is on one side or the other. There are factors going in both directions, some are obvious and others are more nuanced, complex and for the most part unknown to us commoners.
I’ve been guilty of “negotiating” in this thread, but I’ve said this all along (you said it better), so agree 100%.
Obviously it’s no fun, but there really shouldn’t be much more said. We should all really wait and see. I’m sure it’s basically done. Nothing else makes sense really for either team.

Last edited:
They can't wait til the summer
The Favre trade didn’t happen until August - which @Kiddnets brought up the Jets thread, so I’m really not sure even that’s an issue, especially since Rodgers knows the offense. Obviously it would not be ideal, but even the “waiting it out” side seems pretty similar for both teams.
All of this is why it only makes sense for both sides to get it done.

Agree with Doc - Jets could easily sit on this until August while Rodgers could just show up for off season/camps and become a massive distraction.

The Cooks trade today is also somewhat relevant - obviously a lesser player than Rodgers but still a pretty good WRs going for late picks because of his big contract. Having another team taking on a massive contract is valuable and usually reflected in the comp. This is why Detroit likely recd a second 1st rder when it took on Goffs huge deal - Stafford by himself was not worth two 1st rders.

I still think the first real deadline is the draft - and dont think the commissioner isnt putting pressure to get this done before the schedule is released - could you imagine the NFL assumes the Jets will have Rodgers and puts them in a bunch of prime time games only to have Carson Wentz instead? lol

Rodgers won't be attending OTA's, or camp for that matter
let the season start!

Rodgers won't be attending OTA's, or camp for that matter
let the season start!
He comes to camp…not sure why this narrative started that ye doesn’t attend training camp.

I think th Pack winds up getting a 1st, but if you are the only market, why send a 1st?
only way it would be a 1st IMO is if its based on performance - Favre trade was a conditional 3rd that escalated to a 2d if they made the playoffs and a 1st if they made the Super Bowl - makes sense

No one other than Rodgers has said much publically. We really don't know if the problem is picks, players or salary/restructuring.

Can't speak for all Packers fans but it feels like a #2 is about right. The Jets #1 this year looks like an overpayment. A 3rd feels too low. The way the Matthew Stafford trade worked out really helped Seattle get a boatload out of Russ last year. Today, that Stafford trade seems a distant memory compared to how bad the Russell Wilson trade turned out so far. I totally get why the Jets and the rest of the league have reevaluated how much these guys are worth.

I dont get the whole who has the leverage argument. Both teams have mutual goals. Neither team is gonna try robbing the other. Its only been a little over a week since Rodgers said he intends to play for the Jets. This will get worked out in the next week or two to everybody's liking. By draft day at the very latest.
I'm predicting the Jets 2023 2nd rounder and either a player or a conditional 2024 pick

Sorry, but I’m not following. What backup plan do the Jets have that lets them move on and have everyone forget about Rodgers? Will Hackett, Lazard, and Jets Nation just forget this all happens and get giddy with excitement when Z Wilson strolls out as QB in week 1?
Yah, I am not super clear today.

I think if this deal falls apart, it's bad for both. I think the Jets have a less messy clean-up, because they only need to find a new QB.

Whereas the Packers, mom and dad got divorced, dad is gonna move in with his NYC dime piece, so mom moves in the nice guy, waiting in the wings. Now dad is moving back in. That seems messier to me.
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I think it’s incredibly messy for both — just degrees of horrific badness. Pack would have tons of drama, but the Jets literally wouldn’t have a real QB. It would be a completely wasted season. Either way, their incentives are so aligned that this deal will get done.
The Packers have had tons of drama, all caused by Rodgers, for the past 3 years. They had his reaction to the Love pick, his "leaked" desire to be traded during the draft, his inability to commit to how long he wanted to play (which added to Adams reasoning for a trade request, and then finally a restructured contract). This team and front office has dealt with Rodgers drama for 4 years, every off-season and sometimes during the season. They are hardened and have resolve.

What I don't really understand is the argument that the way the Packers handle this will impact how they are seen within their own locker, and around the league. Every player on the roster understands the situation. I'm sure they can't wait to not be asked about Rodgers cryptic statements all training camp. They see Rodgers not practicing during the week. They see Love on the field. The majority of the roster are guys in their 20's. Rodgers is 40. He doesn't hang out with any of them. Several players last year said they never even had a conversation with them. Rodgers has said, in multiple interviews, he is not a vocal leader. He is not rallying guys in the offseason to meet up for individual workouts or giving inspired speeches during the season. On top of that, players talk, agents talk. Rodgers is unique and mercurial at best, and an egomaniacal diva at worst. The Packers have been one of the most successful and respected organizations in the league for the last 30 years. No player is turning down a marquee dealer to play in Green Bay, because their oversharing, aging qb threw a tantrum. Green Bay has never been a priority destination for free agent anyways. It's a very particular player who wants to focus just on football and a quiet environment for family. The past 30 years that draw has been 2 HOF qbs. With Rodgers age and inability to commit to how long he's willing to play, you could argue having a young potentially successful qb in Love could make Green Bay more attractive for free agents. They fully understand the situation they are walking into.

:shrug: At this point I’d rather have tannehill all things considered.

I have zero idea why (coming from a Packer fan yes…but one living in Nashville who has seen Tannehill a bit too)

Everyone says the Jets options are limited. Why couldn't they trade up in the draft for Stroud or Young.

Also hear lots of talk about needing Rodgers before their window closes. They were 7-10 last year with a net pt differential of -20. The Panthers were 7-10 with a -27 differential. I don't get why one team is in rebuild mode and the other is a Rodgers addition away from success.

Because Carolina played in one of the worst divisions in football…has no QB and has traded away its two nest offensive players in the last two years?
Jets D is better and have offensive weapons. They seem to be a QB and improved OL away from contention. I don’t think Carolina is that close.

I have zero idea why (coming from a Packer fan yes…but one living in Nashville who has seen Tannehill a bit too)
He’s an above average starting QB with none of the baggage AR brings, at a lower cost.
But then I wouldn’t want Rodgers at all at this point. Good luck to Saleh if they actually get him.

Because Carolina played in one of the worst divisions in football…has no QB and has traded away its two nest offensive players in the last two years?
Jets D is better and have offensive weapons. They seem to be a QB and improved OL away from contention. I don’t think Carolina is that close.
Unless said division is getting better I would contend the Panthers are closer to a playoff birth.

He’s an above average starting QB with none of the baggage AR brings, at a lower cost.
But then I wouldn’t want Rodgers at all at this point. Good luck to Saleh if they actually get him.
He had one above average year in his entire career. Not sure why anyone thinks he is anything more than average at best. (Tannehill that is)

He had one above average year in his entire career. Not sure why anyone thinks he is anything more than average at best. (Tannehill that is)
🤷 agree to disagree.
My take is mostly anti-Rodgers but I have significant doubts about Rodgers being elite this year. And again, I wouldn’t want to deal with his baggage as a 3rd year coach with a team on the rise. He isn’t the leader I want to help show my young players how to succeed.
If I’m Saleh I’d much rather have Lamar. That’s probably not happening (understandably so, but still)

The Jets traded Elijah Moore to the Browns and upgraded their 3rd round pick to a 2nd round pick.
Now they have another 2nd to offer the Packers.

Jets HC Robert Saleh said he's "not hitting the panic button" on the delayed trade for Aaron Rodgers.​

Despite an impending trade for Rodgers taking longer than expected, Saleh is "confident that things are going to work out." We're nearly two weeks removed from Rodgers affirming his desire to play for the Jets in 2023, but talks between them and the Packers appear to have slowed in a big way. At this time, there's little reason to suspect a trade of Rodgers to the Jets won't get done. Even if it doesn't come to fruition, Saleh went on record Monday saying that Zach Wilson is the No. 2 quarterback on the roster.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 27, 2023, 1:46 PM ET

GM Brian Gutekunst said there is "No timeline for an Aaron Rodgers trade."​

He then said the team does not necessarily need a first-round pick in return for the first-ballot Hall of Famer and that "all options are on the table" regarding a potential return to Green Bay for the 2023 season, even if things were not currently trending in that direction. Gutekunst also went on to explain that he had been unable to reach Rodgers throughout the offseason to discuss the quarterback's future with the franchise. In what feels like a poorly written drama film, the relationship between the two sides has seemingly been tarnished enough to eliminate an Aaron Rodgers return to Green Bay while simultaneously raising tensions with his next potential suitors. Stay tuned as the saga rages on.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 27, 2023, 6:27 PM ET

Charles Robinson reports the trade comp discussion is honing in on a 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 2nd which could become a 1st ("with “achievable” team performance escalators"). Also some discussion of comp going the other way if Rodgers doesn't play in 2024. Seems fair. Worthwhile read for anyone who is still following this saga.

Last edited:
Charles Robinson reports the trade comp discussion is honing in on a 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 2nd which could become a 1st ("with “achievable” team performance escalators"). Also some discussion of comp going the other way if Rodgers doesn't play in 2024. Seems fair. Worthwhile read for anyone who is still following this saga.
Mostly fair. Not a fan of the part having the Packers pay something like 25 mil or being on the hook if Rodgers doesn’t play in 24. Seems that is trying to shift risk to GB.

Last edited:
This is basically the same deal that was reported weeks back. I believe the contingency for the pick becoming a first was the Jets reaching the AFC Championship game. It made sense then, and still does.

Mostly fair. Not a fan of the oart having the Packers pay something like 25 mil or being on the hook if Rodgers doesn’t play in 24. Seems that is trying to shift risk to GB.

The Packers obviously want to wash their hands of this and not expose a 2025 pick based on Rodger's future decisions. At the same time, the guy just said he was 90% retired a month ago so it seems reasonable the Jets would want some protection if he only plays one season.

This is basically the same deal that was reported weeks back. I believe the contingency for the pick becoming a first was the Jets reaching the AFC Championship game. It made sense then, and still does.
You and I tend to agree on most things, but not this. IMO if the Jets are going to give up this much, they should be going after a long term answer and not a 1 or 2 year rental who has warts of his own. This is too much for Rodgers at this point in his career IMO. I must admit, however, that I can't stand Rodgers as a person and don't want him at all because of it. I also think he will struggle with the NYC spotlight and the sheer volume of media here. It's a totally different environment than Green Bay.

You and I tend to agree on most things, but not this. IMO if the Jets are going to give up this much, they should be going after a long term answer and not a 1 or 2 year rental who has warts of his own. This is too much for Rodgers at this point in his career IMO. I must admit, however, that I can't stand Rodgers as a person and don't want him at all because of it. I also think he will struggle with the NYC spotlight and the sheer volume of media here. It's a totally different environment than Green Bay.

It's a 2023 second and 2024 third that would ONLY become a first if the Jets get to the AFC Championship game. To me that would be worth it, since the Jets would still have a bunch of young talent on rookie deals. I can understand alternative takes though.

It's a 2023 second and 2024 third that would ONLY become a first if the Jets get to the AFC Championship game. To me that would be worth it, since the Jets would still have a bunch of young talent on rookie deals. I can understand alternative takes though.
I think we all have our concerns with the Rodgers situation/deal. However in reality not sure what the other options were - maybe Carr and Jimmy G had no interest in going to the Jets...maybe there is no way the Ravens dont match a deal for Lam. Rodgers may be the only real option and while the cost is high its not crippling to the Jets. It buys them a bridge to make a 1-2 yr run and see if Wilson develops. Theyll likely be back in QB purgatory in 2 yrs.

Mostly fair. Not a fan of the oart having the Packers pay something like 25 mil or being on the hook if Rodgers doesn’t play in 24. Seems that is trying to shift risk to GB.

The Packers obviously want to wash their hands of this and not expose a 2025 pick based on Rodger's future decisions. At the same time, the guy just said he was 90% retired a month ago so it seems reasonable the Jets would want some protection if he only plays one season.

Reasonable to want protection...sure. I think its also reasonable for the Packers to balk a bit at that saying if you want him...its your risk. They have taken their own risks with him thus far.
With that deal...id gladly lower the 2024 compensation to drop the potential for GB being on the hook for any cap space if the guy doesn't play.

Once a trade for Rodgers gets finalized, Green Bay is going to have to eat $40 million in dead cap charges (either this season or split over two seasons if the deal is consummated after 6/1). If they take it all this year, that's 18% of this year's salary cap. That alone to me is worth getting more back in terms of draft compensation from the Jets.

Once a trade for Rodgers gets finalized, Green Bay is going to have to eat $40 million in dead cap charges (either this season or split over two seasons if the deal is consummated after 6/1). If they take it all this year, that's 18% of this year's salary cap. That alone to me is worth getting more back in terms of draft compensation from the Jets.

It seems likely to me that they will execute the trade on June 2 (or later, but presumably the acquiring team would want him ASAP). If so, the Packers take a dead cap hit of ~$15.8M each in 2023 and 2024. That seems much more palatable than taking a ~$40.3M cap hit in 2023 to trade him before June 2. That is a savings of ~$24.5M against the 2023 cap if they wait on the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread