What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (1 Viewer)

Irsay floating the idea of drafting Levis tonight. Happy hour started an hour ago in Indiana, apparently.

Does he think the 49ers took Montana and Young in same draft (of that SF even drafted Young)?
He probably knows it was Tampa Bay that drafted Young.
But then his analogy falls apart. No big deal obviously as it’s probably mostly harmless trolling or something.

Behind who though? No chance you roll out Minshew as your starter for more than a couple games. He's awful.
He has a lot of learning to do. He needs to be fixed, but he is coachable and is humble, unlike Levis, who also needs fixed, but the Colts obviously feel AR is easier to fix.

Behind who though? No chance you roll out Minshew as your starter for more than a couple games. He's awful.
He has a lot of learning to do. He needs to be fixed, but he is coachable and is humble, unlike Levis, who also needs fixed, but the Colts obviously feel AR is easier to fix.
I'm not saying it was a bad pick, just saying you don't have the luxery of having him sit for a year and learn. He will likely be starting within a week or two, won't he? You can't start Minshew.

I'm not saying it was a bad pick, just saying you don't have the luxery of having him sit for a year and learn. He will likely be starting within a week or two, won't he? You can't start Minshew.
I believe I stated my opinion in my last post, but the way I’ve been going it’s probably better to believe the complete opposite of what I say.

He's the perfect QB for them. He is competent enough to start a few games, bad enough where he is sure to implode and set the bar low Richardson.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said rookie QB Anthony Richardson will start this season.​

Richardson, a one-year starter at Florida who turned 21 earlier this month, will compete with Gardner Minshew for Indy's Week 1 job, but speaking with NFL Network's Judy Battista, Irsay made it clear Richardson will see the field in 2023, and not just as a package player. On a different team, Richardson would spend a year developing, but it would be disappointing if Richardson didn't beat out Minshew early. The Colts will likely split reps between Richardson and Minshew at OTAs.

Pundits seem to be saying he should be the QB1 rookie pick in start 1QB leagues, but Bryce is the play in superflex due to the risk profile. I’m holding the #1 pick, and my QBs are total dog ****. Really conflicted.

Pundits seem to be saying he should be the QB1 rookie pick in start 1QB leagues, but Bryce is the play in superflex due to the risk profile. I’m holding the #1 pick, and my QBs are total dog ****. Really conflicted.
I guess it depends on who your other QBs are. If you have two steady eddies, I'd shoot for the upside with Richardson.

I guess it depends on who your other QBs are. If you have two steady eddies, I'd shoot for the upside with Richardson.
It’s truly a who’s who of dog ****.
Geno
Tannehill
Mayfield
Jones
Brissett
Ridder
Milf Hunter

He’s my QB1 in SF as well, but the league I’m taking him as my QB2, I need him to start.

Word is Bryce will sit behind Dalton.

Plus I’m drafting for ceiling at 1.02, and no one has his ceiling at QB in either format. And with his rushing ability, his floor seems relatively safe as well.

I read that blurb, and I disagree with it. Evaluate the QBs in the draft, then confidently take the one you believe has the highest upside. IMO that’s ARich.

I’d shoot for the upside regardless.

It’s truly a who’s who of dog ****.
Geno
Tannehill
Mayfield
Jones
Brissett
Ridder
Milf Hunter
I personally would roll with Geno and one of Tannehill/Mayfield/Ridder until Richardson is ready, but easy for me to say.

FMIA: A Night in the Raiders’ Draft Room and 12 Minutes With C.J. Stroud

Excerpt:

Colts GM Chris Ballard told me he’s known he was going to take green Florida QB Anthony Richardson for about a month. He understands the risks involved—Richardson started 13 college games, won six, had some dreadful days (nine of 27 versus Florida State)—but he and his staff could not unsee what the tape and workouts showed them.

I thought this was the most interesting thing Ballard said as he drove home Saturday night: “I would rather take the risk, the risk that he might fail, than pass on him and see him become a star somewhere else. We’re taking a guy not only for what he can do today but for what he can become tomorrow. I’ve told our guys here: Anthony might have some games where he’s nine of 22 for 105 yards—but in the game he’ll run 10 times for 115 yards. It just might look different for a while.”

The excitement, though, is palpable in Indy. Zak Keefer of The Athletic interviewed owner Jim Irsay at the draft and Irsay told a story about meeting with Richardson. As relayed by Keefer, Irsay told Richardson: “You play 12 or 14 years in this league and you’re an outstanding quarterback, you’re gonna make a billion dollars. A billion. A billion.”

Well, that would mean after Richardson’s rookie contract expires, Irsay would be paying him $950 million or so for the rest of his career. That’s one heck of a projection, but the future is a wild place for phenom quarterbacks, I guess.

The debate, of course, is whether Richardson should play or not play this year—some or all of this year. I’ve heard so many people, including almost everyone on TV, say you’ve got to play Richardson because he’s so inexperienced. But you can’t make the decision until you see how ready (or not ready) Richardson is. How’d playing early work out for 2022 second overall pick Zach Wilson, also inexperienced coming out of college? Not good. How did sitting most of his rookie year work out for Patrick Mahomes? Great.

So be careful what you wish for. You don’t want to rush a guy who’s not ready. Which is why it’s not a call you can make today.

“We gotta get him in here and see where he is,” Ballard said. “We don’t know. He turns 21 this month—he’s so young still. Let us figure out what he can handle before making any decisions. But there’s not many people who can do what he does. When [Colts chief personnel executive] Morocco Brownwatched him, he came back and told me: ‘I’m watching this kid in practice, and I’m drooling.’”

I’ve already got one training-camp stop marked off—in pen—this summer. Two days at Colts camp to watch Anthony Richardson.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Many scouts and coaches reportedly believe Anthony Richardson will put up “big-time numbers” in his rookie season, given Shane Steichen is his head coach. Steichen was responsible for the development of Justin Herbert, who won 2020 Offensive Rookie of the Year. Steichen was also responsible for the development of Jalen Hurts, who is now the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. Don’t SLEEP on the Colts rookie QB to win Offensive Rookie of the Year

Are you not considering Bijan? I know it's SF and you really need a QB, but I'd almost think that Bijan could fetch a better QB than Richardson if you traded him.

Are you not considering Bijan? I know it's SF and you really need a QB, but I'd almost think that Bijan could fetch a better QB than Richardson if you traded him.
At least talk to the guy holding 1.02 and see what you can get to trade back

This - if you are unsure or don't have a preference, talk with the guys holding the 2, 3 and 4 picks - collect the biggest ransom you can and then pick whomever is left of Bijan and the 3 QBs

Absolutely considering him. I have not shot at winning this year (duh), and the most ideal scenario would be to draft Bijan this year, get the 1 pick next year, and draft Caleb. There’s just no way to control that. This league hoards QBs, so if you want/need one, you better draft one. There are guys with 4 QB1s on their team and they flat out refuse to trade. I guess they see keeping QBs from teams like mine as an equally valuable advantage.

Tried this. No response yet but we don’t draft until summer, so will be exploring.

Tried this. No response yet but we don’t draft until summer, so will be exploring.
Ya tough call. I think trading back to 1.03 or 1.04 and getting a haul is your best bet.
or keeping the 1.01 and trying to package one of your players and/or other draft picks to get a 2nd pick in the top 4. Build around Bijan and one of those new QBs.

Tough situation though.

Hey, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 3x I won’t be fooled again.
I really think ARich is getting a bit of forgiving coverage, because these athletic QBs have really made a lot of people look dumb.
I agree - but I also think it has a strong likelihood of being accurate, given his coach.

Colts Rookie Minicamp: Anthony Richardson Hits NFL Field For First Time

Excerpts:

• Yes, I did chart rookie minicamp practice. Why? Because when Tony Dungy and Shaquille Leonard decide to watch rookie minicamp practice (with most watching on Friday), they clearly have interest in a particular player out there. In two 7-on-7 sessions on Friday, Anthony Richardson went 8-of-12, with one drop. In one 11-on-11 session, Richardson went 3-of-4. Of the 11 total completions by Richardson, 6 of them went to third-round pick Josh Downs.

• In summary, it was a nice first day on an NFL practice field Richardson. He didn’t hold onto the ball too long, had quick rhythm and was mostly on-target, with a couple of errant throws towards the end of practice. You can tell Richardson is trying to integrate new fundamentals into his throwing motion, as he’s always mimicking his delivery in between his turn for reps (the Colts have 2 tryout quarterbacks here this weekend). He’s always replicating that motion, with Shane Steichen even stepping in for some foot work advice early in practice. As far as Richardson’s accuracy, what we saw in college, was also there on Friday at times—Richardson is almost more on-target the deeper the ball is thrown down the field.

NFL on ESPN
@ESPNNFL
How soon should Anthony Richardson start for the Colts?
🤔
"He can get up to speed faster than a lot of people believed pre-draft because of the situation that he's landing in. ... I see someone that could be like Josh Allen was as a rookie." —
@nfldraftscout

Im intrigued but go burned by Try Lance who was another "developmental QB" who was not experience, shaky passer but supposedly would be a top fantasy QB due to his legs....no concern about deja vu here?

Im intrigued but go burned by Try Lance who was another "developmental QB" who was not experience, shaky passer but supposedly would be a top fantasy QB due to his legs....no concern about deja vu here?

How can there not be...I like the kid but even the most pro-Richardson people will acknowledge the obvious downside...that being said that is the case with 98% (and I am probably low-balling) of rookie QBs.

Users who are viewing this thread