What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (2 Viewers)

I hope the concerns linger all offseason and through training camp so I can grab him in my early September draft.
You are going to draft this guy in 2023 Redraft leagues?

Good Luck!
What reason will Richardson not have 750-7 on the ground? That's halfway to QB13 before he even throws a single pass. If he even throws for 2500-15, that's a low-end QB1 season, that's better than what Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers did last season, and not all that different than what Justin Herbert (in an admittedly down year) did.

I can understand having doubts about his NFL prospects as a guy who will end up being worthy of the #4 pick. But fantasy wise, as long as he stays healthy, its almost going to be hard for him not to be a fantasy starter.

I've got Richardson in the 8-10 range in redraft.

Saying a QB will bust isn't saying much. Most do.

The analysts have shared how much rushing affects fantasy stats. ARich is a lock for 500+ rushing ypg if healthy. Why are people overthinking this?
Exactly right. Look at Fields, he was straight money last season despite only throwing for 2,200 yards. Who cares if Richardson sucks in real life? He'll be top 10 in fantasy by default, and if he figures out the offense he's top 5 immediately.

I hope the concerns linger all offseason and through training camp so I can grab him in my early September draft.

Good Luck!
What reason will Richardson not have 750-7 on the ground? That's halfway to QB13 before he even throws a single pass. If he even throws for 2500-15, that's a low-end QB1 season, that's better than what Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers did last season, and not all that different than what Justin Herbert (in an admittedly down year) did.

I can understand having doubts about his NFL prospects as a guy who will end up being worthy of the #4 pick. But fantasy wise, as long as he stays healthy, its almost going to be hard for him not to be a fantasy starter.

Seriously. Given the state of the position in 2022, I’d say it’s highly likely ARich puts up a top 12 season his rookie year. He could barely throw & do that.

Good Luck!

I agree with you MOP, I think he will be a bust for the colts, however even if he is a bust his rushing totals will likely keep him as a top 10 fantasy QB when he is a full time starter. I will draft him in both redrafts and bestballs.

You don't need good passing skills to put up fantasy points from the QB position if you have the athletics like Richardson has.

It's worth noting that one thing being overlooked is that Richardson ran less often in college than people think he did. He only had 654 yards rushing last year. By comparison, Lamar Jackson ran for 1601 yards in a season in college.

Part of that is one thing that's being overlooked with Richardson is that he's had a tendency to pick up those annoying soft tissue injuries that really quash rushing value for the whole season, even despite not actually playing that often.

I think if Richardson were a good passer and didn't have that huge weakness distracting everyone, then people would be talking about this a lot more. But he's been SUCH a poor passer that people haven't even noticed that he has another pretty big red flag compared to most rushing QBs that have come out before him. When he runs, he has trouble staying on the field.

Going back to high school, he's only had 1 year in his last 5 where he put up good rushing stats. The other 4 years he had some kind of nagging injury that kept him from running consistently.

Good Luck!

I agree with you MOP, I think he will be a bust for the colts, however even if he is a bust his rushing totals will likely keep him as a top 10 fantasy QB when he is a full time starter. I will draft him in both redrafts and bestballs.

You don't need good passing skills to put up fantasy points from the QB position if you have the athletics like Richardson has.

It's worth noting that one thing being overlooked is that Richardson ran less often in college than people think he did. He only had 654 yards rushing last year. By comparison, Lamar Jackson ran for 1601 yards in a season in college.

Part of that is one thing that's being overlooked with Richardson is that he's had a tendency to pick up those annoying soft tissue injuries that really quash rushing value for the whole season, even despite not actually playing that often.

I think if Richardson were a good passer and didn't have that huge weakness distracting everyone, then people would be talking about this a lot more. But he's been SUCH a poor passer that people haven't even noticed that he has another pretty big red flag compared to most rushing QBs that have come out before him. When he runs, he has trouble staying on the field.

Going back to high school, he's only had 1 year in his last 5 where he put up good rushing stats. The other 4 years he had some kind of nagging injury that kept him from running consistently.
I strongly suspect that Shane Steichen and his coaching staff know this.

I am totally ok if they want him to pass more and rush less. I trust Steichen with ARich’s development - i’m drafting him as my SF QB2 more because of the situation he landed in.

Had Stroud or Young ended up with Steichen, I’d probably have bumped them to my QB1. But I’m not mad that the 6’4, 244 lb dude who blew up the combine by being an athletic freak of nature happens to be that guy.

Last edited:
B-U-S-T!

I'll have a QB thread before Week 1 and I haven't posted once in this thread
It's felt like the Emperor's New Clothes for a while.
The talking heads must have a certain allotment of QBs for the TV and ratings and to fill the heads of fans for these teams that their dream of a franchise QB is just around the corner.
So many things wrong with how we arrived at this point and the Colts taking him at #4 overall, its hard to know where to start.

i'm not going to get into a tug of war with anyone, keep chirping and posting all the good vibes, biased reports, rose colored glasses, just keep posting your hopes and dreams because there isn't anything factual you have to lean on. No trophies, no SEC Championships, no College Playoffs so he didn't compete and win at the highest level but he's going to walk into Indianapolis and all systems are Go!?
Oh My Holy God have folks been sold a bad bill of good here.

You had to want to love this player or seek out all the good reports on him because a lot of average fans had no clue who he was after college football was over.
So most have never watched the guy play but have bought into the Mel Kiper's of the world who use jigsaw puzzle drafting to fill needs and desires of fans to play on emotions
I doubt most NFL scouts listen or read much of any of the NFL talking heads on TV or so called draft experts.

Good Luck!
Thattaboy, shoot your shot

B-U-S-T!

The talking heads must have a certain allotment of QBs for the TV and ratings and to fill the heads of fans for these teams that their dream of a franchise QB is just around the corner.
So many things wrong with how we arrived at this point and the Colts taking him at #4 overall, its hard to know where to start.

i'm not going to get into a tug of war with anyone, keep chirping and posting all the good vibes, biased reports, rose colored glasses, just keep posting your hopes and dreams because there isn't anything factual you have to lean on. No trophies, no SEC Championships, no College Playoffs so he didn't compete and win at the highest level but he's going to walk into Indianapolis and all systems are Go!?

You had to want to love this player or seek out all the good reports on him because a lot of average fans had no clue who he was after college football was over.
So most have never watched the guy play but have bought into the Mel Kiper's of the world who use jigsaw puzzle drafting to fill needs and desires of fans to play on emotions
I doubt most NFL scouts listen or read much of any of the NFL talking heads on TV or so called draft experts.

Good Luck!
So then, you think Jalen Hurts was extremely better than him coming out of college?

B-U-S-T!

Good Luck!
So then, you think Jalen Hurts was extremely better than him coming out of college?
No I think Hurts was better than him in December of Hurts’ Freshman year at Alabama

Heard from a solid source pre-draft that some teams felt he had chronic tight hamstrings. Seems a little young to have Julio syndrome already and got to hope teams can put a plan for him together but it's a valid concern.

Anyway this all should have kept you from drafting him, lol.

B-U-S-T!

Good Luck!
I hope AR has the mental toughness and leadership abilities of a Hurts. He didn’t remotely prove that at the college level if we are trying to compare apples to apples,

it’s not a fair comparison to either guy.

Hurts was underrated as a prospect, as his story at Alabama clearly affected people’s evaluation.

ARich isn’t necessarily being overrated, but he’s much less of a prospect.

Basically, people should have been this excited about Hurts.

Are we comparing a 4th overall pick to a 2nd rd pick? If so I’d enjoy your explanation
I have tried to put into words what I mean previously, but poorly.

I think ARich is an exciting talent, a first rounder in this draft, and I don't think there is any insurmountable obstacle to keep him from being great. Sky is the limit. I am just not as sure of his success as I was of Lamar and Hurts (don't think I really had a Josh Allen take, because Wyoming). Those guys put years of special games on tape. Hurts was far, far more advanced as a passer, pick your analytic. The year Hurts came out, his accuracy and efficiency numbers were on a level with Burrow and Tua. Hurts was, and remains, dramatically underrated as a college passer.

So I think ARich is more of a projection as an NFL QB, and that's not a very hot take. But my hot take is that ARich is enjoying much more lenient analysis, and getting the benefit of the doubt, because of the running QBs who came before him. After the NFL watched these athletic QBs run around, the stock on running QBs has skyrocketed. 6 years ago, I think he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Using the current parameters one uses to judge college QBs, ARich is well behind these guys. I think it's super interesting to see how this plays out long term. If ARich busts, do people get gunshy? If he hits, do passing stats become less valuable?

Heard from a solid source pre-draft that some teams felt he had chronic tight hamstrings. Seems a little young to have Julio syndrome already and got to hope teams can put a plan for him together but it's a valid concern.

Amazing he was able to have historic athleticism on those tight hammies at the combine.

Amazing he was able to have historic athleticism on those tight hammies at the combine.
Not really

Good Luck!

Top 8-10 in redraft with the laundry list of top notch QBs we have to pick thru?
I got Joe Burrow as the 8th QB off the board last year in plenty of leagues, mostly because of egos
I cannot hitch my wagon to a QB that is completely reliant on his legs
I don't see bright blue skies in '23 for the Colts but obviously many of you have strong opinions

They can't all be Top 5 QBs
You said 8-10, I just think that's too high and we're making a lot of assumptions that he can hold the job and be available all season

Using the current parameters one uses to judge college QBs, ARich is well behind these guys. I think it's super interesting to see how this plays out long term. If ARich busts, do people get gunshy? If he hits, do passing stats become less valuable?
That would appear to be a false dilemma.

If he busts he busts. He’s his own player drafted into his own situation.

There are so many examples of big athletic freaks of nature busting in the NFL, yet the Colts made ARich a 1.04, right?

Remember Jamarcus Russell? He was a better college prospect. Put up a bunch of good film on the way to winning the Manning Award and was MVP of the 2007 Sugar Bowl as a junior.

Not exactly a HOF NFL career. Didn’t stop Shanahan from selling the family farm to take Lance.

And if ARich hits, he hits. I’m not sure why passing stats would become less valuable. LJax is his own dude - he didn’t change the face of QBing for a generation. Burrow, Lawrence, Mahomes - they’re all pretty competent passers. Even Allen is talking about running less. So why would ARich being able to run the ball change anything except for ARich?

Right now we don’t even know what the Colts have planned for him.

Last edited:

There are so many examples of big athletic freaks of nature busting in the NFL, yet the Colts made ARich a 1.04, right?

Remember Jamarcus Russell? He was a better college prospect. Put up a bunch of good film on the way to winning the Manning Award and was MVP of the 2007 Sugar Bowl as a junior.

Not exactly a HOF NFL career. Didn’t stop Shanahan from selling the family farm to take Lance.

And ARich he hits, he hits. I’m not sure why passing stats would become less valuable. LJax is his own dude - he didn’t change the face of QBing for a generation. Burrow, Lawrence, Mahomes - they’re all pretty competent passers. Even Allen is talking about running less. So why would ARich being able to run the ball change anything except for ARich?

If he busts he busts. Agreed. I'm saying he would set a precedent for what we need to see from an athletic QB, passing wise.

it’s not a fair comparison to either guy.

Hurts was underrated as a prospect, as his story at Alabama clearly affected people’s evaluation.

Basically, people should have been this excited about Hurts.
You are a reasonable guy I think, and you are very careful with your wording.
An average of 1 decent QB per Draft that makes it long time in the NFL
There's exceptions but usually there are not 3 top-5 QB prospects coming out every year
Look at the track record in the NFL.

My point is they can't all be good and you know when someone has that "IT" factor like a Trevor Lawrence who quickly with decent coaching is vaulting to the top of the AFC ladder
Allen-Burrow-Jackson-Lawrence-Mahomes and then you have guys walking around like Tua and Rodgers and Watson and my goodness, how on Earth is Anthony Richardson and his 52% completion rate going to be able to run the wishbone enough in the NFL to compete with those guys? And dang, I forgot Thor from the Chargers
ARich Top 8-10 in Redrafts?

It's terrific news for those of us that have no plans on drafting him in '23. I'll be happy to sit back and watch him develop.

And ARich he hits, he hits. I’m not sure why passing stats would become less valuable. LJax is his own dude - he didn’t change the face of QBing for a generation. Burrow, Lawrence, Mahomes - they’re all pretty competent passers. Even Allen is talking about running less. So why would ARich being able to run the ball change anything except for ARich?

If he busts he busts. Agreed. I'm saying he would set a precedent for what we need to see from an athletic QB, passing wise.
That seems to presume that he can’t improve as a passer.

Many seem to believe he can. He’s got a pretty accurate deep ball, and throws well on the run.

So I’m not sure what precedent will be set. College QB becomes more accurate in pros? Didn’t Hurts and Allen both go through that progression? Did they set a precedent?

Allen-Burrow-Jackson-Lawrence-Mahomes and then you have guys walking around like Tua and Rodgers and Watson and my goodness, how on Earth is Anthony Richardson and his 52% completion rate going to be able to run the wishbone enough in the NFL to compete with those guys? And dang, I forgot Thor from the Chargers
Dude. You’re acting like everyone knew Mahomes would take the league by storm (they didn’t), & that Hurts and Allen would be as good as they are when for a while people deeply questioned whether Allen was a bust due to accuracy (he wasn’t), or whether Hurts would be able to elevate his game (he did).

This 20-20 hindsight you’ve got is something else.

Not to mention the same presumption that ARich’s accuracy won’t improve.

Like, Just say ya don’t like the guy and move on. I fail to see how any of this is productive.

Last edited:
Dude. You’re acting like everyone knew Mahomes would take the league by storm (they didn’t), & that Hurts and Allen would be as good as they are when for a while people deeply questioned whether Allen was a bust due to accuracy, or whether Hurts would be able to elevate his game (he did).

Like, Just say ya don’t like the guy and move on. I fail to see how any of this is productive.
Dude, where did I say "everyone knew"?
I just am being honest about the current QB situations around the league
Hindsight? I'm trying to have some foresight into 2023

You even go so far as to want to shut me down from posting, telling me to move on.
Doesn't sound like the HSG I've come to know

Anything else, just shoot me a PM but you are not going to get me to shut up just because you don't like the tone of the posts or they tend to disagree with your opinion of the guy.
I was clear that I don't think highly of Indy this season, could be a possible Top 5 pick again next season. I don't know how many of the QBs I listed that ARich is going to see but I doubt he has an advantage in 2023 over most of them and partly due to Indy and the talent that will be around him.

I'm going to keep repeating what others are posting,
Top 8-10 in redraft?

No possibility that Dynasty Drafters have potentially overshot the forecast for 2023?
The fact ARich was just taken #4 by the Colts and went I would assume fairly high in Dynasty Rookie drafts, perhaps by many of you sky high on him
It's something to watch this time of year.

Ranked 21st at FFP right now...
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has serious doubts in 2023

If I had looked over there and saw him in the Top 10,
I would have had to dig deeper than some of my initial posts
But the fact is he's ranked 21st over there
Top 8-10 here in the Shark Pool

No Dynasty Bias around here, none whatsoever

Dude. You’re acting like everyone knew Mahomes would take the league by storm (they didn’t), & that Hurts and Allen would be as good as they are when for a while people deeply questioned whether Allen was a bust due to accuracy, or whether Hurts would be able to elevate his game (he did).

You even go so far as to want to shut me down from posting, telling me to move on.

Anything else, just shoot me a PM but you are not going to get me to shut up just because you don't like the tone of the posts or they tend to disagree with your opinion of the guy.
I was clear that I don't think highly of Indy this season, could be a possible Top 5 pick again next season. I don't know how many of the QBs I listed that ARich is going to see but I doubt he has an advantage in 2023 over most of them and partly due to Indy and the talent that will be around him.

Top 8-10 in redraft?

No possibility that Dynasty Drafters have potentially overshot the forecast for 2023?
The fact ARich was just taken #4 by the Colts and went I would assume fairly high in Dynasty Rookie drafts, perhaps by many of you sky high on him
You read into peoples posts an awful lot man. There’s nothing between the lines, just the lines. Take my posts at face value, not as you interpret them

I’m just reacting to your posts. And I didn’t try to shut you down once - where’s that coming from?

I just see you bashing ARich and don’t see a lot of analysis behind it. Comp % ok, so I’ll ask again, is that something that QBs can improve on with work? Do you feel Steichen is so incompetent after working with Herbert & Hurts that he expects ARich to stay at 54.x%?

To your point, I’m not advocating taking him anywhere in redraft much less top 8 QB. I’d happily take a shot on him as a QB2 in the later rounds.

For dynasty he’s easily my QB1. And I’m a dude who watched some film and bashed on ARich early on. But I’ve been convinced - between the athleticism, the combine performance, and the landing spot. I believe he can improve on the things that can be taught, and add it to his natural gifts.

If only Bryce could be taught to be 6’4. 🥹

Again,not trying to stop you from posting - just asking you to be productive.

Maybe tell me why you believe ARich can’t improve. And why the Colts drafted him if that’s the case?

Richardson only started 13 games in his college career. Everyone knows that he's very raw, it's not fair to compare him to Lamar or Hurts at this point.
Raw talent, there's no comparison, Richardson is far superior athletically, perhaps the best combine ever. He has a cannon for an arm but there's a lot that he needs to work on. This is where NFL coaching can help him.

Lamar still can't throw. He'll, he's only thrown over 3,000 yards once. That's terrible for a starting NFL QB.

Richardson only started 13 games in his college career. Everyone knows that he's very raw, it's not fair to compare him to Lamar or Hurts at this point.
Raw talent, there's no comparison, Richardson is far superior athletically, perhaps the best combine ever. He has a cannon for an arm but there's a lot that he needs to work on. This is where NFL coaching can help him.

Lamar still can't throw. He'll, he's only thrown over 3,000 yards once. That's terrible for a starting NFL QB.
Before saying something like that about Lamar, what is his passing efficiency numbers?
That's probably more important than total yards.
I genuinely don't know, just saying

Before saying something like that about Lamar, what is his passing efficiency numbers?
Not necessarily. Short passes & dump offs can pad those numbers. His stats would dictate a short passing game. I haven't been impressed

Top 8-10 in redraft?

Micheal Pittman and Johnny Taylor are great talent. They also drafted a decent rookie wr. I don't know how good their o-line is but the talent situation in Indy is decent.

Not necessarily. Short passes & dump offs can pad those numbers. His stats would dictate a short passing game. I haven't been impressed
Actually the short passing game is where ARich has been least accurate. Steichen recently said that’s where they envision the most immediate improvement coming from…improved footwork = better short area passing. (This was also one of Waldman’s observations/conclusions, btw)

Short area passing to someone like Jonathan Taylor can do an awful lot to pad a QBs stats. I’m excited to hear they’re making that a priority.

Top 8-10 in redraft with the laundry list of top notch QBs we have to pick thru?
I got Joe Burrow as the 8th QB off the board last year in plenty of leagues, mostly because of egos
I cannot hitch my wagon to a QB that is completely reliant on his legs
I don't see bright blue skies in '23 for the Colts but obviously many of you have strong opinions

They can't all be Top 5 QBs
You said 8-10, I just think that's too high and we're making a lot of assumptions that he can hold the job and be available all season
I'd be very shocked if Richardson was capable of losing the job. With the investment they made, Indy could start 0-10 and I don't think they make a QB change.

Burrow was 5th off the board in my main league last year (to me) and no lower than 7th in my other 2, every league is different.

For me personally, I've got: 1. Allen 2. Mahomes 3. Burrow 4. Hurts 5. Jackson 6. Fields 7. Herbert...after that I think Richardson is in play. I can see an argument for Tua or Lawrence next, but I'm taking Richardson over guys like Watson, Rodgers, Geno, Dak, D.Jones (who is just about as run dependent, with a lower ceiling) Cousins, or Goff. Its also very likely one could pair one of those guys with Richardson, as he's the 18th QB off the board in Underdog drafts.

Top 8-10 in redraft?

Micheal Pittman and Johnny Taylor are great talent. They also drafted a decent rookie wr. I don't know how good their o-line is but the talent situation in Indy is decent.
Good info and I also want to take a moment, @Hot Sauce Guy and I might have got off on the wrong foot yesterday in here.
I'll try and absorb vs just the hot takes but my gut reactions to things, my initial "Green/Red" light in my head is usually right when it comes to redraft.
And typically that's what people expect from me, they don't look for me to sugarcoat it

I also want to stress that I usually am not anywhere near here this time of year. I usually come flying in late August and pride myself on not reading a lot of this "hype/anti-hype" info and feel it gives me a much clearer vision of the immediate season vs Dynasty players which typically fill up the board right now and fill my head with confusion.

I go by what I see Weeks 1-17, make my notes for the off season and then I typically shut off the media machine for as long as I can get a break from it.

But I also am guilty of overlooking players, we all do it. I just am having a hard time trying to visualize how this kid walks in pretty raw, seizes the starting job while needing to use his legs a lot. I think Justin Fields is clouding the judgement for some and assuming every QB can run for 500-1,000 yds.

Also should be noted that I stopped doing stat projections a long time ago. I don't even crunch them with the aid of other websites, maybe that's not something to brag about.

Last edited:
I think Justin Fields is clouding the judgement for some and assuming every QB can run for 500-1,000 yds.
No, but not every QB set combine records for athleticicm while being 6’4, 244, running a sub 4.5 40, right?

And not every QB had the pressure evasion % of ARich, which is also highly relevant.

Now it’s not so much Fields “clouding the judgement”, it’s “well if Fields has had that sort of success on an offense with such little talent, imaging what this 6’4 athletic freak who excels at pressure evasion can do on a team with Taylor, Pierce, Pittman & Downs, with a coach who’s known for developing QBs”.

If Danny 10-pennies can rush 120/708/7, why wouldn’t ARich be capable of the same? Jones is an interesting comp for the long, long leash he had. Hell, I gave up on Jones before the Giants did. And I still don’t think Jones is a good QB. But he is a good FF QB, and his draft stock has kept him behind center.

It seems like Fields might be clouding your judgement a little if you’re looking at him as the anomaly. There already are other FF QB with high floors due to their rushing. Again, Daniel Jones seems like the best example.

FWIW I have Fields in both of my dynasty leagues, and I’m a believer that he can improve his passing. But for sure, I’d rather he was built like Richardson.

Even as an 18 year old true freshman Hurts' passing absolutely blew away what Richardson did as a 20 year old junior with some limited game experience.

There's just no point in even mentioning guys like Hurts or Fields. Those guys were good passers who could also run. Richardson is the 15th best passer in the Shark Pool whose only value is that he can only run, but is rarely healthy enough to do so.

I could maybe buy comparing to Lamar in his first starts (though again, that was as an 18 year old true freshman) but Lamar has always stayed healthy enough to get value out of running while Richardson never has.

There is still a path to being an elite fantasy player for sure. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson prove that. But I think people are still underrating just how bad he is as a passer when they talk about him maybe fixing his footwork and all of the sudden being a mid-tier passer or something. I'll say it again. As a lifelong Gator this dude makes Tim Tebow look like Dan Marino as a passer. Tim Tebow.

And again, people are way overlooking the injury issues. His entire value is predicated on his ability to run and he's almost never stayed healthy enough to do that consistently.

I understand every side of the argument but at the end of the day you can't pass him up at 1.02 in a Superflex Dynasty League. You'd be insane to pass on that upside. We could be looking at freakishly insane numbers out of the gate. Is there risk involved, of course there is. Young is almost a dwarf, he'll be lucky if he's not killed by week 8 and who knows about Stroud? He apparently has middle school comprehension, he may never figure it out.

As long as he's on the field (no injuries or benching), I'm all in because of his fantasy appeal with his legs and long ball. As for a Colts fan, there will be lots of WTF was that? moments. I can live with the first part easily. The second one I'll have to live with and hope those moments get better over time.

Worth a watch

This was just what the doctor ordered. Thank you!
The RSP goes much more in-depth into his flaws, and why Waldman believed he’s fixable in the footwork/short game deficiencies.

Couldn’t ask for a better coach for it.

Users who are viewing this thread