What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (1 Viewer)

Allen-Burrow-Jackson-Lawrence-Mahomes and then you have guys walking around like Tua and Rodgers and Watson and my goodness, how on Earth is Anthony Richardson and his 52% completion rate going to be able to run the wishbone enough in the NFL to compete with those guys? And dang, I forgot Thor from the Chargers
ARich Top 8-10 in Redrafts?
Dude. You’re acting like everyone knew Mahomes would take the league by storm (they didn’t), & that Hurts and Allen would be as good as they are when for a while people deeply questioned whether Allen was a bust due to accuracy, or whether Hurts would be able to elevate his game (he did).

This 20-20 hindsight you’ve got is something else.

Not to mention the same presumption that ARich’s accuracy won’t improve.

Like, Just say ya don’t like the guy and move on. I fail to see how any of this is productive.
Dude, where did I say "everyone knew"?
I just am being honest about the current QB situations around the league
Hindsight? I'm trying to have some foresight into 2023

You even go so far as to want to shut me down from posting, telling me to move on.
Doesn't sound like the HSG I've come to know

Anything else, just shoot me a PM but you are not going to get me to shut up just because you don't like the tone of the posts or they tend to disagree with your opinion of the guy.
I was clear that I don't think highly of Indy this season, could be a possible Top 5 pick again next season. I don't know how many of the QBs I listed that ARich is going to see but I doubt he has an advantage in 2023 over most of them and partly due to Indy and the talent that will be around him.

I'm going to keep repeating what others are posting,
Top 8-10 in redraft?

No possibility that Dynasty Drafters have potentially overshot the forecast for 2023?
The fact ARich was just taken #4 by the Colts and went I would assume fairly high in Dynasty Rookie drafts, perhaps by many of you sky high on him
It's something to watch this time of year.
Micheal Pittman and Johnny Taylor are great talent. They also drafted a decent rookie wr. I don't know how good their o-line is but the talent situation in Indy is decent.
Alec Pierce is actually my diamond in the rough in that receivers room.

It’s a boom or bust pick no doubt. He has freakish athleticism….undenaible.

I am sitting at 1.3 this year in my upcoming 12 team start 1 QB PPR Dynasty and I view him as a potential generational pick or one that can easily fall on its face.

But at 1.3…..why be safe. I don’t see many potential generational talents in that spot.

Honestly my two highest rated for that pick are ARich and Flowers based on pure unadulterated talent.

I am sitting at 1.3 this year in my upcoming 12 team start 1 QB PPR Dynasty and I view him as a potential generational pick or one that can easily fall on its face.

But at 1.3…..why be safe. I don’t see many potential generational talents in that spot.

Honestly my two highest rated for that pick are ARich and Flowers based on pure unadulterated talent.

My main problem with taking him this early is that his upside is basically Lamar Jackson, and Lamar Jackson is currently sitting at pick #43 in startup dynasty drafts.

That's a full round and a half behind a guy like Chris Olave.

So what's more likely, that Anthony Richardson, the worst passer to ever enter the league, becomes Lamar Jackson (mid 4th round ADP). Or that JSN/QJ/Addison become Chris Olave (late 2nd round ADP)? To me, the latter is much more likely, while also being more valuable. And that's also leaving off the chance that those WRs become Garrett Wilson or Jamaar Chase, which is an upside (top 5 overall dynasty value) that Richardson essentially has zero chance of hitting.

Heck, JSN is ALREADY going 18 picks ahead of Lamar Jackson in startup drafts.

I get people rolling the dice in SF because if you hit on a 21 year old Lamar in SF that is massive. But taking him in the top 5 in 1QB is a huge risk because even if he hits his upside he's probably not even worth a top 5 pick at that point, nevermind the extremely low probability that he hits his upside.

get people rolling the dice in SF because if you hit on a 21 year old Lamar in SF that is massive. But taking him in the top 5 in 1QB is a huge risk because even if he hits his upside he's probably not even worth a top 5 pick at that point, nevermind the extremely low probability that he hits his upside.
You're right but what QB in this draft isn't a risk? I think a better comp is Cam Newton with even better upside. Yes, he's raw as hell but the upside is worth it IMO. I took him at 1.02 in a Superflex League and happy as hell about it

My main problem with taking him this early is that his upside is basically Lamar Jackson, and Lamar Jackson is currently sitting at pick #43 in startup dynasty drafts.

So what's more likely, that Anthony Richardson, the worst passer to ever enter the league, becomes Lamar Jackson (mid 4th round ADP). Or that JSN/QJ/Addison become Chris Olave (late 2nd round ADP)? To me, the latter is much more likely, while also being more valuable. And that's also leaving off the chance that those WRs become Garrett Wilson or Jamaar Chase, which is an upside (top 5 overall dynasty value) that Richardson essentially has zero chance of hitting.

I get people rolling the dice in SF because if you hit on a 21 year old Lamar in SF that is massive. But taking him in the top 5 in 1QB is a huge risk because even if he hits his upside he's probably not even worth a top 5 pick at that point, nevermind the extremely low probability that he hits his upside.
Lamar Jackson has probably already peaked for fantasy value, especially as a runner.

Why can't Richardson's upside be Josh Allen with more sustained value than Lamar?

You make great points.

I drafted London, Olave and Pierce, Zair White in last years rookie draft. I am in a full on rebuild.

My QB’s have busted thus far:

Mac Jones
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance

Ooooof we have Pickett but I need another potential elite QB….my RB’s
Also suck. So we are swinging for the fences…have the 1.03, 1.12 and 2.03

I gotta hit on them.

Allen-Burrow-Jackson-Lawrence-Mahomes and then you have guys walking around like Tua and Rodgers and Watson and my goodness, how on Earth is Anthony Richardson and his 52% completion rate going to be able to run the wishbone enough in the NFL to compete with those guys? And dang, I forgot Thor from the Chargers
Dude. You’re acting like everyone knew Mahomes would take the league by storm (they didn’t), & that Hurts and Allen would be as good as they are when for a while people deeply questioned whether Allen was a bust due to accuracy, or whether Hurts would be able to elevate his game (he did).

Like, Just say ya don’t like the guy and move on. I fail to see how any of this is productive.

You even go so far as to want to shut me down from posting, telling me to move on.

Anything else, just shoot me a PM but you are not going to get me to shut up just because you don't like the tone of the posts or they tend to disagree with your opinion of the guy.
I was clear that I don't think highly of Indy this season, could be a possible Top 5 pick again next season. I don't know how many of the QBs I listed that ARich is going to see but I doubt he has an advantage in 2023 over most of them and partly due to Indy and the talent that will be around him.

Top 8-10 in redraft?

No possibility that Dynasty Drafters have potentially overshot the forecast for 2023?
The fact ARich was just taken #4 by the Colts and went I would assume fairly high in Dynasty Rookie drafts, perhaps by many of you sky high on him
Micheal Pittman and Johnny Taylor are great talent. They also drafted a decent rookie wr. I don't know how good their o-line is but the talent situation in Indy is decent.
Forgot about him. He has size but I still think Pittman is the alpha.

I can see a world where he is worth 1.3 in 1QB. I think even more so if Gibbs falls to the 1.3. Are you taking a running back over A. Rich? How about Addison? Or Q. Johnson? Addison behind Jefferson. JSN is a different conversation for me. I do think there needs to be more of a conversation with everyone else but JSN. The right QB can make such a difference even in 1 QB. He very well could be a 1,000-yard rusher this season and 10 rushing touchdowns with potential for more. You can add 10-15 touchdowns through the air. Let's throw in 7 or 8 interceptions. He could also flop completely but the ceiling is very high. The floor is not so bottom basement. I think every owner in 1 QB who has the 1.3 needs to at least think about it a little bit and be happy deciding to pass on him and the idea of what he can become. Let's not forget that every one after Bijan has some risk. Gibbs is already dinged and Monty is hanging around and around the goalline. The running backs that have gotten hurt (Breece Hall) or paired with another running back are a big risk. Go talk to the Walker owner. Not to mention the shelf life of running backs. JSN has the hammy. Addison has Jefferson and a lot of other mouths to feed. Q. Johnson has Allen, Williams, and Eckler. I'm not going down the rabbit hole here but A. Rich needs to be in the discussion, especially in leagues that reward the rushing QB. He is climbing for a reason. In Superflex, he should go 1.2 and there should be no conversation on that selection. This is one reason that 1 QB formats can have some interesting dilemmas that Superflex can not have.

Last edited:
I can see a world where he is worth 1.3 in 1QB. I think even more so if Gibbs falls to the 1.3. Are you taking a running back over A. Rich? How about Addison? Or Q. Johnson? Addison behind Jefferson. JSN is a different conversation for me. I do think there needs to be more of a conversation with everyone else but JSN. The right QB can make such a difference even in 1 QB. He very well could be a 1,000-yard rusher this season and 10 rushing touchdowns with potential for more. You can add 10-15 touchdowns through the air. Let's throw in 7 or 8 interceptions. He could also flop completely but the ceiling is very high. The floor is not so bottom basement. I think every owner in 1 QB who has the 1.3 needs to at least think about it a little bit and be happy deciding to pass on him and the idea of what he can become. Let's not forget that every one after Bijan has some risk. Gibbs is already dinged and Monty is hanging around and around the goalline. The running backs that have gotten hurt (Breece Hall) or paired with another running back are a big risk. Go talk to the Walker owner. Not to mention the shelf life of running backs. JSN has the hammy. Addison has Jefferson and a lot of other mouths to feed. Q. Johnson has Allen, Williams, and Eckler. I'm not going down the rabbit hole here but A. Rich needs to be in the discussion, especially in leagues that reward the rushing QB. He is climbing for a reason. n Superflex, he should go 1.2 and there should be no conversation on that selection. This is one reason that 1 QB formats can have some interesting dilemmas that Superflex can not have.
Great post.

Justin Fields kinda proved it last season. He had a slow start but put up ridiculous fantasy numbers despite doing nothing in the air. I see that as Richardson's floor. Steichen will take full advantage of him, creating ways to open it up for Richardson ala Jalen Hurts.

I see no risk from a Fantasy perspective

I can see a world where he is worth 1.3 in 1QB. I think even more so if Gibbs falls to the 1.3. Are you taking a running back over A. Rich? How about Addison? Or Q. Johnson? Addison behind Jefferson. JSN is a different conversation for me. I do think there needs to be more of a conversation with everyone else but JSN. The right QB can make such a difference even in 1 QB. He very well could be a 1,000-yard rusher this season and 10 rushing touchdowns with potential for more. You can add 10-15 touchdowns through the air. Let's throw in 7 or 8 interceptions. He could also flop completely but the ceiling is very high. The floor is not so bottom basement. I think every owner in 1 QB who has the 1.3 needs to at least think about it a little bit and be happy deciding to pass on him and the idea of what he can become. Let's not forget that every one after Bijan has some risk. Gibbs is already dinged and Monty is hanging around and around the goalline. The running backs that have gotten hurt (Breece Hall) or paired with another running back are a big risk. Go talk to the Walker owner. Not to mention the shelf life of running backs. JSN has the hammy. Addison has Jefferson and a lot of other mouths to feed. Q. Johnson has Allen, Williams, and Eckler. I'm not going down the rabbit hole here but A. Rich needs to be in the discussion, especially in leagues that reward the rushing QB. He is climbing for a reason. n Superflex, he should go 1.2 and there should be no conversation on that selection. This is one reason that 1 QB formats can have some interesting dilemmas that Superflex can not have.
Great post.

Justin Fields kinda proved it last season. He had a slow start but put up ridiculous fantasy numbers despite doing nothing in the air. I see that as Richardson's floor. Steichen will take full advantage of him, creating ways to open it up for Richardson ala Jalen Hurts.

So the second most rushing yards for a QB in NFL history is the floor for a guy that has basically never in his entire life stayed healthy enough to run the ball a lot.

And even if he does hit Justin Fields numbers (very unlikely), Justin Fields is going 58th overall in startup drafts. Behind JSN, Addison, QJ, and even Zay Flowers.

Last edited:

Top 8-10 in redraft?

Can you elaborate on why Alec Pierce will thrive with ARich at the helm? What are you projecting?? WR2 - Top 25 value perhaps?

WR2 - Top 25 value perhaps?
I have him as a WR3-ish, to 40 upside. But that’s 2023. And he’s probably more BYE week flier, too 50ish.

I like the talent & as ARich develops over the next year or 2 I could see both Pittman & Pierce gain value.

I’ll maybe be trying to pick him up late-ish in my startup draft. He’s one of my dart throw WR.

Top 8-10 in redraft?

Can you elaborate on why Alec Pierce will thrive with ARich at the helm? What are you projecting?? WR2 - Top 25 value perhaps?
I happen to think He can be a 1A if ARich develops. He is a big target, great routes, great hands. He has “it”. They let Parris Campbell walk after waiting years for him to be healthy. And he looked good at times last season.

They love Pierce too.

Great post.

So the second most rushing yards for a QB in NFL history is the floor for a guy that has basically never in his entire life stayed healthy enough to run the ball a lot.

And even if he does hit Justin Fields numbers (very unlikely), Justin Fields is going 58th overall in startup drafts. Behind JSN, Addison, QJ, and even Zay Flowers.
So you think Fields is undervalued too?

Justin Fields can't throw it. Watch Richardson's tape, he can sling it. He was a victim of horrible coaching, play calling, bad route running, etc. I think people are sleeping on his arm.

I've seen every pass Richardson has ever thrown dating back to high school, many of them in person, so tape probably not as necessary :P. Fields is 100x the passer that Richardson is.

Florida did him no favors but the bolded is hardly the whole issue. Richardson couldn't hit a completely uncovered receiver on a 5 yard drag route for huge stretches of games. Literally warming up on the sideline before the game with the QBs throwing in a line back and forth to each other he's over there throwing the ball in the dirt sometimes.

Maybe someone can coach him into being a passer. It's possible. But he's the furthest thing away from one to ever enter the NFL draft as a QB.

Justin Fields didn't run much in college because he was such a good passer that he didn't have to. Richardson didn't run much in college because (in addition to always getting hurt) because teams knew all they had to do was take that away and he could stand in the pocket all day and not find a way to beat them, even with intermediate WRs running open.

Richardson can "sling it" in that he can throw the ball really hard. Where it's going to end up is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Justin Fields can't throw it. Watch Richardson's tape, he can sling it. He was a victim of horrible coaching, play calling, bad route running, etc. I think people are sleeping on his arm.

I've seen every pass Richardson has ever thrown dating back to high school, many of them in person, so tape probably not as necessary :P. Fields is 100x the passer that Richardson is.

Florida did him no favors but the bolded is hardly the whole issue. Richardson couldn't hit a completely uncovered receiver on a 5 yard drag route for huge stretches of games. Literally warming up on the sideline before the game with the QBs throwing in a line back and forth to each other he's over there throwing the ball in the dirt sometimes.

Maybe someone can coach him into being a passer. It's possible. But he's the furthest thing away from one to ever enter the NFL draft as a QB.

Justin Fields didn't run much in college because he was such a good passer that he didn't have to. Richardson didn't run much in college because (in addition to always getting hurt) because teams knew all they had to do was take that away and he could stand in the pocket all day and not find a way to beat them, even with intermediate WRs running open.

Richardson can "sling it" in that he can throw the ball really hard. Where it's going to end up is anybody's guess.
Good stuff. Heres's a good article breaking down some of those concerns.

Great post.

So you think Fields is undervalued too?
No. I think he ( Justin Fields ) is valued in the dynasty community correctly. I would think he is valued as a top-ten dynasty QB with the potential to grow in year 3 with more weapons and a better offensive line. I think A.Rich is being undervalued in 1QB dynasty rookie drafts. The difference a rushing QB can provide can be tremendous. Jalen Hurts was an incredible QB to have in 1QB last year. Justin Fields also had tremendous games last season and had a good season statistically. In my dynasty league of record Jalen Hurts was QB (4) with 450 points( only behind Burrow by 2 points for the #3 spot and Justin Fields was QB (11) with 354 points. I think it is reasonable to see a path similar for A.Rich or better. The timeline is the question and I suppose how you see A. Rich in the Colt's offense and your own projections for him in the Colt offense will matter. My layman's guess is they will take a lot of what Jalen did and try to fit that into their offense. They brought in Shane Steichen for a reason. My point was and is that with a ceiling like A.Rich has he should be a consideration at 3 and a lock to go 4 or 5 in 1QB. Of course, roster construction matters but the players commonly being discussed ahead of him have questions as well. Why not take the upside?

That being said he has his own questions. The accuracy is bad and it's all over tape. How bad is in the eye of the beholder and do you think he can improve? Hurt's completion percentage in college was 67.4. Justin Field's completion percentage in college was 68.4 both with more years as a starter in college. I think both had 3/4 years under their belts as starters. A.Rich was only one and his completion percentage was a whopping 54.7. He played three games in 2020. He played seven in 2021. And he played twelve in 2022. I guess you can take that for what it is worth. Now let's discuss their rushing totals Jalen Hurts rushing totals are 614 attempts for 3274 yards and 43 touchdowns. Justin Fields had 260 attempts for 1133 yards and 19 touchdowns. A. Richardson 161 attempts for 1116 yards and 12 touchdowns. I find these numbers very interesting. You have to figure out the teams' offenses and other factors such as A. Richardson played in 22 games total in his three years but how was the offense compared to Hurts and Fields? Big Ten compared to the SEC and whatnot BUT it seems like A. Richardson might be a better rusher than Fields.

Last point because this is getting longer than I expected. Jalen Hurts completion percentage last year 2022 was (66.5%) in 2021 (61.3%) and in 2020 (52.0%) he had 165 rushing attempts 760 yards with 13 rushing touchdowns in 2022. Justin Fields' completion percentage was (60.4%) in 2022 and (58.9%) in 2021. He had 160 rushing attempts 1143 yards and 8 rushing touchdowns.

Passing last year for both Jalen Hurts had 3701 yards passing on 460 attempts and he had 22 touchdowns. Justin Fields 2242 yards passing on 318 attempts and 17 touchdowns. Justin Fields actually improved on his touchdowns by 10 last season compared to 2021 but he also played in 3 more games. Jalen Hurts improved his completion percentage, touchdowns, and yards but not by huge amounts but improvement across the board. I want to dive into Richardson a little bit more and see if the value is there to say he is better than Fields and maybe a few notches below Hurts. If that is the case and you believe by year two he can be top 5 and I think these numbers say he can get there then yeah A. Richardson is definitely worth the 1.3 in 1QB because you are looking at top 6ish by year three if you think he is that maybe even as soon as year two. I of course would want to look at the value of Gibbs and JSN for my roster if I was sitting at 1.3. I'm not saying it's easy but I can see a world where he (A.Rich) holds that value.

Great post.

Health is a factor for sure but see my post above. Yes, to answer your question I think he is being undervalued. And rookie drafts and startup drafts are different. Just my opinion. And I also think he might be a better rusher than Fields but I like Fields as well. The whole point I was making earlier is he is being undervalued based on what he can be or become.

I have to agree with Fields as a passer. He is ALOT better than people give him credit for. Or at least he was at OSU. And I think if they (the Bears) protect him and continue to get him weapons to work with he could be incredible. My issue is trying to see what Richardson can be in the Colt's offense and if they can improve his passing. Recent history says yes whereas past history says maybe not. It's sticky no doubt.

I have to agree with Fields as a passer. He is ALOT better than people give him credit for. Or at least he was at OSU. And I think if they (the Bears) protect him and continue to get him weapons to work with he could be incredible. My issue is trying to see what Richardson can be in the Colt's offense and if they can improve his passing. Recent history says yes whereas past history says maybe not. It's sticky no doubt.
In some respects it's similar to Trey Lance.

Justin Fields had 260 attempts for 1133 yards and 19 touchdowns. A. Richardson 161 attempts for 1116 yards and 12 touchdowns. I find these numbers very interesting. You have to figure out the teams' offenses and other factors such as A. Richardson played in 22 games total in his three years but how was the offense compared to Hurts and Fields? Big Ten compared to the SEC and whatnot BUT it seems like A. Richardson might be a better rusher than Fields.

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread but I think you're badly misreading Fields as a college rusher here. Fields didn't run much in college because he was such a good passer that he never had to. If he were as poor of a passer as Richardson he would've run for 4000 yards in college, like Lamar Jackson did.

SEC defenses are not an excuse. Richardson was completely shut down by USF who was one of the worst D1 teams in the country last year.

Comparisons to Hurts, Fields, Newton, etc just don't make sense. They're completely different kinds of players. Those guys were quarterbacks that could also run. Richardson is a running back that has a big arm so people hope he'll one day learn how to be a QB.

Lamar Jackson is the best comp, but Richardson was significantly worse than Jackson in every category, including rushing, and especially in staying healthy when rushing.

Josh Allen is the hail marry hope, because he's the only guy that was anywhere near as bad as Richardson as a passer while not rushing for 1500+ yards per season to make up for it.

Justin Fields had 260 attempts for 1133 yards and 19 touchdowns. A. Richardson 161 attempts for 1116 yards and 12 touchdowns. I find these numbers very interesting. You have to figure out the teams' offenses and other factors such as A. Richardson played in 22 games total in his three years but how was the offense compared to Hurts and Fields? Big Ten compared to the SEC and whatnot BUT it seems like A. Richardson might be a better rusher than Fields.

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread but I think you're badly misreading Fields as a college rusher here. Fields didn't run much in college because he was such a good passer that he never had to. If he were as poor of a passer as Richardson he would've run for 4000 yards in college, like Lamar Jackson did.

SEC defenses are not an excuse. Richardson was completely shut down by USF who was one of the worst D1 teams in the country last year.

Comparisons to Hurts, Fields, Newton, etc just don't make sense. They're completely different kinds of players. Those guys were quarterbacks that could also run. Richardson is a running back that has a big arm so people hope he'll one day learn how to be a QB.

Lamar Jackson is the best comp, but Richardson was significantly worse than Jackson in every category, including rushing, and especially in staying healthy when rushing.

Josh Allen is the hail marry hope, because he's the only guy that was anywhere near as bad as Richardson as a passer while not rushing for 1500+ yards per season to make up for it.
Well, I like Fields anyway so I can't argue about Fields and what I like about Fields but I can say the talent at OSU and the talent at Florida was like a creek to a river. No offense to Gator fans. The wide receivers were and are tremendous at OSU and the offensive line was not that bad for Fields either. It would be interesting to see the pressure rate numbers that A.Rich faced at Florida and the pressure rates Fields faced at OSU. A bit harder due to the number of games or the sample size. That said I do think you can look to the players you mentioned. It's part of the equation. I can tell you the Colts looked at that and let's be honest Steichen was pounding the table for A. Rich. I'm thinking there is a process they are going to try with him and he will be given every opportunity to make it work.

It's about the ceiling and floor for me. But to say you can not look at a player's past performance and not compare a player to potential performance based on the history of similar players in similar environments is just not how it is done right or wrong but to each his own on their opinions. I applaud a good think-tank discussion and really you could be correct. The issue I have with A. Rich is the number of games he played or started. That does worry me. The other thing is what I have seen on tape as far as his misses go. When he misses he misses big. I'm no QB coach but I do think accuracy can be tweaked and coached. I think we have seen that. Can he learn that? I don't know but I think it can be improved and taught with footwork, arm motion, and surrounding him with talent and protection. He also has what you can not teach. A freakish athletic ability that is his ceiling. I honestly can see 1000 yards rushing in his rookie season IF he can avoid injury and starts from week one. What does he do passing??? I admit I have no idea but if he gets 12-15 passing touchdowns that could skyrocket his numbers with the rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. It's evaluating him for fantasy that is important not so much for the real world. Though I think he can develop in real-world football. Does that mean he will? No. It just means that based on what he can do well there is a possibility. What he can do well is as important as what he can not do well. And can you improve on what he does not do well? I think that is the most important question.

It's about the ceiling and floor for me. But to say you can not look at a player's past performance and not compare a player to potential performance based on the history of similar players in similar environments is just not how it is done right or wrong but to each his own on their opinions.

But my point is that they're not similar players. At least as prospects. Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields were not remotely similar college players to Richardson, or as prospects.

Lamar Jackson? Sure. Hurts/Fields? Not at all.

Josh Allen is the hail marry hope, because he's the only guy that was anywhere near as bad as Richardson as a passer while not rushing for 1500+ yards per season to make up fo
Josh Allen certainly developed as a passer at Buffalo, but he went to a team within a fortunate situation that eventually highlighted his strengths. Allen was raw year 1 (at best) with more INTS than TDs, became better year 2, and has since become elite.

NFL QB and fantasy QB success isn't achieved in a vacuum based solely on the player. Last year, apparent future HOFr Russell Wilson was one of the worst QBs in the league. Geno Smith, under Russell Wilsons' old coaching regime, set franchise records and went to the Pro Bowl.

Not the best comparison for rookie QBs...but...Point being is that QB effectiveness and even "greatness" can be greatly manipulated given the situation. Even the Chicago Bears mid way through last season figured out how to use Fields effectively with a massive talent dearth in receivers.

Steichen should be a positive for Richardson's development.

I think you are being a bit over-dramatic with Anthony Richardson's 'impending' failure. Give me a freak athlete at QB at 1.4 with a head on his shoulders under the hopeful right system over a guy like Mac Jones under Bill Belichick.

Game has changed.

Taking Richardson in the first half of rd1 in a 1QB league is just too rich for my blood. It has the feel of owners chasing points from last year or historic player comps. Its hard enough for good college QBs to play at the NFL level. I'm skeptical Richardson becomes a fantasy must start.

Sure Cam Newton had one amazing year and several top 5 QB finishes, but he was washed up by 30. Longevity concerns for running QBs is a very real thing. It puts them in a similar production window as a RB unless they can really take a major step forward in the passing game. I mean I don't want to be holding Lamar Jackson when he turns 30.

I think Richardson is just too big of a project to get a meaningful return from.

Josh Allen is the hail marry hope, because he's the only guy that was anywhere near as bad as Richardson as a passer while not rushing for 1500+ yards per season to make up fo
Josh Allen certainly developed as a passer at Buffalo, but he went to a team within a fortunate situation that eventually highlighted his strengths. Allen was raw year 1 (at best) with more INTS than TDs, became better year 2, and has since become elite.

NFL QB and fantasy QB success isn't achieved in a vacuum based solely on the player. Last year, apparent future HOFr Russell Wilson was one of the worst QBs in the league. Geno Smith, under Russell Wilsons' old coaching regime, set franchise records and went to the Pro Bowl.

Not the best comparison for rookie QBs...but...Point being is that QB effectiveness and even "greatness" can be greatly manipulated given the situation. Even the Chicago Bears mid way through last season figured out how to use Fields effectively with a massive talent dearth in receivers.

Steichen should be a positive for Richardson's development.

I think you are being a bit over-dramatic with Anthony Richardson's 'impending' failure. Give me a freak athlete at QB at 1.4 with a head on his shoulders under the hopeful right system over a guy like Mac Jones under Bill Belichick.
I agree.

Taking Richardson in the first half of rd1 in a 1QB league is just too rich for my blood. It has the feel of owners chasing points from last year or historic player comps. Its hard enough for good college QBs to play at the NFL level. I'm skeptical Richardson becomes a fantasy must start.

Sure Cam Newton had one amazing year and several top 5 QB finishes, but he was washed up by 30. Longevity concerns for running QBs is a very real thing. It puts them in a similar production window as a RB unless they can really take a major step forward in the passing game. I mean I don't want to be holding Lamar Jackson when he turns 30.

I think Richardson is just too big of a project to get a meaningful return from.
I can see your view but if I can get a few top 5 seasons from him. I'll take that and deal with the rest later. Everyone makes good points and I enjoy the viewpoints It's a risky take and I agree with that. I took Jalen Hurts in a contract league and gave him a max contract. I saw that pay off big. I took some flak for making that move and by all means that does not mean anything with A. Rich. or Hurts for the future. I could be looking to deep into past performance but the names you mention show a direction the NFL is going. All the names you mentioned have hit in one way or another. You do make a good point with their shelve life and the risk involved with running QB. I'm okay with not having a dynasty QB for his whole career. But your points are valid.

In case there are dreams of Richardson - easily - being among the best rushing QBs ever. Fantasy ekspurts yapping like 1000 yards is easy to do (only 3 different QBs all-time = 4 times total).
660 yards is the mark to shoot for top 25 all-time.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-rushing-yards-in-a-season-for-a-qb
Okay, I'll take 650 or 700 yards. I will still yap 1000. Just because it is fun and I want to. And maybe because it seems to be what he does best. I get your point though. I will take 650 to 750. And I think I said 1000 yards is in the realm of possibility. I did not say it was a certainty. I also said I can see it happening if he stayed healthy and started from week one. Both of those things would need to happen for him to reach 1000 yards. And yes it could happen in the right situation which is not a certainty for any rushing QB.

Last edited:

ESPN's Stephen Holder writes Anthony Richardson is splitting first-team snaps with Gardner Minshew at OTAs.​

That definitely paints the picture of a competition that is loaded towards Richardson starting early in the season, which will do little to slow the fantasy gravy train on Richardson. Richardson is already going as a low QB1 in drafts on the promise of his rushing upside and Shane Steichen's offense, so he's being drafted like he's starting right away. Splitting first-team reps right away in OTAs tells you the Colts are serious about him as a Day 1 starter.
SOURCE: ESPN
May 26, 2023, 1:30 PM ET

If you hate Richardson just say it lmao. Anyway, I'm all aboard the hype train and will gladly take him at my pick if there in 1qb dynasty.
I like him as my posts indicate but in the one league I could draft him my roster construction is pointing me in a different direction. I have been watching a lot of him trying to convince myself he is worth the pick but it would be a luxury pick and I'm in a progressive struggle rebuild. That kind of luxury pick makes no sense with my roster. Rebuilding sucks in any format. I had to do it though.

If you hate Richardson just say it lmao. Anyway, I'm all aboard the hype train and will gladly take him at my pick if there in 1qb dynasty.
I like him as my posts indicate but in the one league I could draft him my roster construction is pointing me in a different direction. I have been watching a lot of him trying to convince myself he is worth the pick but it would be a luxury pick and I'm in a progressive struggle rebuild. That kind of luxury pick makes no sense with my roster. Rebuilding sucks in any format. I had to do it though.

Makes sense. I'm competing this year for sure and my weakest spot by far is QB with Love and Lance so I'm going with upside on my weak spot.

I don't hate Richardson. I do hate him in the first half of round 1 in a 1qb league. I wouldn't consider him until after maybe 1.09. His value is in his potential, but I'm not seeing it at the same level others are. The kid needs a lot of work in the passing game and I think owners are chasing the fantasy points rushing yards bring a QB.

An argument can be made that he is worth a swing over a second or third tier RB/WR, but I'll be on the other side of that argument. Anyone can bust, but with ARich its going to take several years to see what he is and I don't know what that fantasy output is going to look like.

If we want to use Justin Fields as a comparison... in my 2021 1QB rookie draft I ended up with Fields in the middle of round 2. 2.07 actually. The guy was unstartable for a year and a half and I didn't have a ton of faith in the times I did start him. This year he is being projected a low end QB1. Rushing numbers are expected to go down and passing up.

But what is Fields actual value right now? If 2023 version of Justin Fields was in this rookie draft, where does he get picked? Is that production going in the top 6 picks? I don't know. As a Fields owner I'd trade him for a top10 pick in this draft,

The craziest part about all this is that Justin Fields is still on a short leash in Chicago. If he doesn't show an improvement in his passing game, the Bears very well could move on from him in 2024. Then he moves forward with cast off value, which may not be much if we're looking long term investment.

point being, I can deal with this when I'm using a mid second on this scenario. I think its crazy to see owners taking Richardson at 1.04 knowing what they are getting into.

I don't hate Richardson. I do hate him in the first half of round 1 in a 1qb league. I wouldn't consider him until after maybe 1.09. His value is in his potential, but I'm not seeing it at the same level others are. The kid needs a lot of work in the passing game and I think owners are chasing the fantasy points rushing yards bring a QB.

An argument can be made that he is worth a swing over a second or third tier RB/WR, but I'll be on the other side of that argument. Anyone can bust, but with ARich its going to take several years to see what he is and I don't know what that fantasy output is going to look like.

If we want to use Justin Fields as a comparison... in my 2021 1QB rookie draft I ended up with Fields in the middle of round 2. 2.07 actually. The guy was unstartable for a year and a half and I didn't have a ton of faith in the times I did start him. This year he is being projected a low end QB1. Rushing numbers are expected to go down and passing up.

But what is Fields actual value right now? If 2023 version of Justin Fields was in this rookie draft, where does he get picked? Is that production going in the top 6 picks? I don't know. As a Fields owner I'd trade him for a top10 pick in this draft,

The craziest part about all this is that Justin Fields is still on a short leash in Chicago. If he doesn't show an improvement in his passing game, the Bears very well could move on from him in 2024. Then he moves forward with cast off value, which may not be much if we're looking long term investment.

point being, I can deal with this when I'm using a mid second on this scenario. I think its crazy to see owners taking Richardson at 1.04 knowing what they are getting into.
If the 2023 version of Fields was in this draft, he'd be my 1.3, and 1.2 would be arguable. I haven't seen a single fantasy rank of Fields lower than QB6 (I have him QB4 personally) and you've gotten a gem getting him for 2.7 2 years ago. I think your league mates would be insane not to trade for him if you are willing to accept just a top-10 pick. I would also firmly disagree Fields is on a short leash. They just doubled down on him. If he's on a short leash so are 20+ other starting QBs.

Of course, I'd argue Richardson is 1.5 right now, but I certainly have an affinity for high-end running QBs, and this isn't the strongest draft class in my eyes, as so many guys landed in muddled spots. I have a real hard time seeing Richardson having less than 750 yards rushing with his profile and the current staff. I'm not saying he'll be Fields/Lamar, but he should be the next best thing yards wise, and its certainly possible (probable) that he'll also be getting the same bunny TDs Hurts got.

Side note: I think if Nagy hadn't been the HC in 2021, Fields would have been a fantasy asset as a rookie, but Nagy was fighting for his job, and didn't want to develop a rookie, and we saw where that got him, though Nagy is probably happier being the OC in KC.

If the 2023 version of Fields was in this draft, he'd be my 1.3, and 1.2 would be arguable. I haven't seen a single fantasy rank of Fields lower than QB6 (I have him QB4 personally) and you've gotten a gem getting him for 2.7 2 years ago. I think your league mates would be insane not to trade for him if you are willing to accept just a top-10 pick. I would also firmly disagree Fields is on a short leash. They just doubled down on him. If he's on a short leash so are 20+ other starting QBs.

Fields startup ADP is behind 6 of this year's rookies, FWIW.

That's crazy to me. I assume its because people are waiting to take QBs in startups (which probably is a bad move) but who are the 6? Surely one of them isn't Richardson is it?

That's crazy to me. I assume its because people are waiting to take QBs in startups (which probably is a bad move) but who are the 6? Surely one of them isn't Richardson is it?

Bijan, Gibbs, JSN, Addison, QJ, Flowers.

This seems odd to me because he has been rising in rookie drafts. At least the ones I have been watching. He is going in the 1.4 to 1.6 range. You better get to the 1.5 if you want to draft A. Rich. Heck, you can go to post on this board and view the 1QB drafts that are posted and see the rise for yourself. It's about 6 posts below this one since I just posted here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread