What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (2 Viewers)

Ceedee Lamb train also coming to a screeching halt I would think.
Without a doubt. I thought he had tremendous upside this year based on the number of available targets up for grabs and his skill level. He certainly won’t go to zero because he’s still really good but he’ll likely be an inconsistent headache with a lower floor and ceiling.

“2. Prescott has QB1 upside but will be hard to fully trust without better line play and full health.”

I’m not sure I concur with this statement. At all. QB1? Like, better than Allen? Mahomie? C’mon.

I know you're aware of what a RB1 or a QB1 means. They're not saying he's the best QB. Not that it matters now. He's irrelevant for a while.
I am - and the way they’re phrasing it sounds a lot like they’re saying he has upside to be the QB1.

Frankly, even if I accept that they meant “a QB1”, I’m not even sure I agree he’s a top 12 asset at the position based on what we saw last night before the injury.

“2. Prescott has QB1 upside but will be hard to fully trust without better line play and full health.”

I’m not sure I concur with this statement. At all. QB1? Like, better than Allen? Mahomie? C’mon.

I know you're aware of what a RB1 or a QB1 means. They're not saying he's the best QB. Not that it matters now. He's irrelevant for a while.
I am - and the way they’re phrasing it sounds a lot like they’re saying he has upside to be the QB1.

Frankly, even if I accept that they meant “a QB1”, I’m not even sure I agree he’s a top 12 asset at the position based on what we saw last night before the injury.
Considering he was consistently ranked Top 12, it's pretty clear they meant QB1 overall. Saying he has "Top 12 (QB1) upside" would be completely hollow praise - it would be like saying Brady has Top 12 upside.

Was just dropped in one of my 4 pt passing TD leagues.

And I just dropped T. Lance leaving me with D. Carr.

Not a bad upside stash. I'd have to drop I. Pacheco for him.

Worth a pickup?

Worth a pickup?
Oh hell yeah.

I think he's a bit overrated for the most part, but still a top 10/12 type QB and a good matchup guy with Carr if you have the roster space for two QBs

People overreact. Guy in an 8-keeper league dropped him and since he was dropped, he reverts to a 17th round cost if you want to keep him next year. I picked him up even though I have Josh Allen. Good bye week/injury fill in and somebody will trade for him in the off season because of his name and his low cost

Worth a pickup?
I say yeah. He was dropped in my 4 pt league and I scooped him, in case Brady doesn’t turn it around. Dak has a nice closing schedule.

Dak Prescott (thumb) returned to practice Thursday, but did not throw.​

Beats spotted Prescott gripping and throwing a training ball, working on fundamentals, and taking dropbacks on air. In other words: He's working as hard as he can to come back from surgery sooner rather than later, but hasn't progressed to throwing yet. Prescott has been rumored to be available as early as Week 4 or Week 5 -- we'd probably stand on the pessimistic side of that until we actually see Dak throwing.
SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Sep 22, 2022, 1:38 PM ET

Picked him up this morning.

Have a funny feeling this Dallas team bottoms early in the season and ramps it up as Gallup gets back, Lamb steps up as the #1, Schultz back healthy, etc.

Heal up!

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Dak Prescott (thumb) will resume starting duties when he returns from injury.​

Team owner Jerry Jones said this week that the team could face a quarterback dilemma if Cooper Rush continued winning in Dak's absence. He compared it to Prescott taking Tony Romo's starting gig in 2016. McCarthy on Friday shot down Jerry's dreams of a Cooper Rush takeover. “Clearly, everybody in our locker room and everybody in the building, Jerry (Jones) included, Dak is our quarterback,” McCarthy said. “We want Cooper to be successful as possible. So, I think it stops right there.” Fantasy managers in deeper 12-team formats should try to hang on to Prescott, who could return in Week 5.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Sep 23, 2022, 11:45 AM ET

"Team owner Jerry Jones said this week that the team could face a quarterback dilemma if Cooper Rush continued winning in Dak's absence. He compared it to Prescott taking Tony Romo's starting gig in 2016. "

Ninja, puhleeze.

"Team owner Jerry Jones said this week that the team could face a quarterback dilemma if Cooper Rush continued winning in Dak's absence. He compared it to Prescott taking Tony Romo's starting gig in 2016. "

Ninja, puhleeze.
Wouldn't that reflect on Jerry as an owner/quasi GM? Give a QB a contract for 4/160 million with a huge signing bonus and then imply his job is threatened by an UFA QB? Maybe he needs to hire a new GM who can evaluate talent better

Wouldn't that reflect on Jerry as an owner/quasi GM? Give a QB a contract for 4/160 million with a huge signing bonus and then imply his job is threatened by an UFA QB? Maybe he needs to hire a new GM who can evaluate talent better
I read that as Jerry trying to get the Cowboys back as the lead story on ESPN. "I know, I'll create a fake QB controversy"
Genius. Alienate your franchise (at least on the QB pay scale) QB

I read that as Jerry trying to get the Cowboys back as the lead story on ESPN. "I know, I'll create a fake QB controversy"
Yep. Jerry can't stand it if the Cowboys aren't being talked about, so he generates a story, and like trained monkeys, the sports media as a whole will fall for it and talk about it.

ESPN's Lisa Salters reports Dak Prescott (thumb) isn't closing the door on possibly returning for Week 4 against the Commanders.​

We'd say the odds of that happening are extremely long, but Prescott was spotted lightly tossing the football with a splint on his surgically-repaired thumb in pregame warmups Monday night. It's evident, however, that Prescott's timetable for return isn't as long as initially feared when he was hurt in Week 1.
SOURCE: ESPN
Sep 26, 2022, 8:44 PM ET

Dak Prescott (thumb) told NFL Network's Jane Slater that Week 5 against the Rams is a "game that he could possibly start."​

Prescott had his lone stitch removed from his surgically-repaired thumb earlier Monday and was seen throwing before the game against the Giants. Slater got the "sense" from Prescott that he would try to play Week 4 against the Commanders if he could, but both the player and team want to be smart. It's easier to do with Cooper Rush winning back-to-back starts in place of Prescott.
SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter
Sep 27, 2022, 12:13 AM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said he does "not have a timeline" for when QB Dak Prescott (thumb) will start throwing.​

There's still some swelling in the thumb that has to be dealt with per McCarthy. It seems likely that Prescott will take another week to heal the injury before being ready for the Rams in Week 5, and Prescott has mentioned that date in a couple of media interviews already this week.
SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Sep 27, 2022, 5:37 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Week 6 is "the most realistic" return date for Dak Prescott (thumb).​

Prescott underwent surgery after he suffered a broken thumb in Week 1. Rapoport said he had his stitches removed on Monday and everything has gone "really well" in Prescott's recovery. He also noted Prescott has a "slim chance" of playing in Week 5. Cooper Rush, who is now 3-0 as a starter, has gotten two wins on the board so far. With Rush keeping the train on the tracks, Dallas can afford to slowplay Prescott's return.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 5:05 PM ET

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks COOPER RUSH is going to take Dak's job needs another Bourbon. Just drink the whole bottle.

Coop is winning the locker room over. Zeke calls him "Cooper Clutch"

Wish Cowboys had let Prescott walk and rode Cooper and his low salary for 3-4 years and added talent like Philly is doing with Hurts.

I know nothing about Dallas writer David Helman other than what I have seen out of him on the FS1 show Speak, but he is clearly a Cowboys fan and is so in the tank for Dak that he almost seems annoyed that the Cowboys are winning with Rush at QB. I get that fans get emotionally tied to QBs, but what has Dak done to warrant such blind loyalty? Are Cowboys fans really so used to never winning in the playoffs anymore that Dak winning 1 playoff game in six seasons causes some to want to throw him a parade? Amazing.

Dak Prescott (thumb) will not play in Week 5 against the Rams.​

No surprises, but just to set the scene for next week: Prescott did not participate in any of the three Dallas practices and was ruled out on Friday. The Cowboys were optimistic that he could be ready for Week 6 against Philadelphia, but he'll have to demonstrate that he can grip a football before he's able to really practice.
Oct 7, 2022, 3:52 PM ET

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy did not have an update on Dak Prescott's (thumb) Week 6 status, Monday.​

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported last week that Prescott would need to make "significant strides" to play in the Cowboys' Week 6 game against the Eagles. The Cowboys are 4-1 on the season with backup quarterback Cooper Rush accounting for each of the team's four wins. Prescott's return will be a welcomed one, but there's no need to rush him back at less than 100-percent. We'll know more about Prescott's status later in the week.
RELATED:

Dak Prescott said he felt "great" after throwing to receivers Wednesday.​

Prescott was officially a DNP on Wednesday and appears to be a longshot to suit up against the Eagles, but this throwing session is a big step. Prescott called the session "solid" and plans to throw more on Thursday. If he is not able to play this week, it seems likely he is ready to face the Lions in Week 7.
SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 4:53 PM ET

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Dak Prescott (thumb) is in "regeneration" mode and will throw before the team's Week 6 game against the Eagles.​

Prescott continues working his way back from a Week 1 thumb injury that required surgery, and is now "regenerating" ahead of an eventual return. Prescott has been limited in practice this week but seems unlikely to suit up in Week 6 against the Eagles. That leaves Cooper Rush to start another game for Dallas. Rush this season has operated mostly as an offensive caretaker while the Cowboys defense bullies opposing offenses. Prescott has a good chance to play in Week 7 against the Lions.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Oct 14, 2022, 11:09 AM ET

Speaking on Sunday night, Dak Prescott (thumb) said that he is planning to return in Week 7 against the Lions.​

Prescott shared his plans on Sunday night after the team's Week 6 loss to the Eagles, adding that he felt "great, fantastic" throwing in pregame warmups. Despite the Cowboys' 4-2 start to the season under Cooper Rush, their offense has been limited with Prescott on the sidelines. Those limitations were glaringly obvious on Sunday night, as Rush managed just 181 yards and one touchdown through the air while tossing three interceptions in the 26-17 loss. Assuming he's back to full strength, Prescott should have plenty of top-12 upside against a Lions defense that's allowing the seventh-most passing yards per game. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on Monday that there's been no decision made on Prescott's return, but we'll assume he's trending in the right direction.
Oct 17, 2022, 2:00 PM ET

Dak or Brady ROS?
Deciding between them for this week in a big league of mine has been weighing heavily on me.

But for ROS I feel a lot more confident with Brady. Really just boils down to trust in the passing volume for Brady. And realizing Brady's not been very good even with high volume but I think a lot of that has had to do with health of OL and WR's which should continue to improve. I'm not expecting Brady to be as good as he was last season in fantasy but I got him as a top 8 QB for ROS and could see him as high as #5, though I'm putting him more in the 7-8 range.

Dak meanwhile is really down two weapons from the guy we saw last year. Amari for good and a healthy Schultz for who knows how long. Defense is so strong and I don't think it's coach speak that they don't want to run the same heavy passing offense as years past. So less volume and worse weapons then we are accustomed to seeing from Dak and he stopped running much ever since his ankle injury.

Use last season as sort of a baseline starting point and Brady was better in fantasy last season. His situation is a little worse while to me Dak's situation has worsened even more and again he was the inferior fantasy player last year.

Dak Prescott completed 19-of-25 passes for 207 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' 24-6, Week 7 win over the Lions.

He didn't add anything as a runner and didn't turn the ball over. It was a Cooper Rush-ian performance from Prescott in his return to the lineup after missing five-plus games with his fractured thumb. Prescott's leading receiver was CeeDee Lamb for 4/70. Overall, Prescott looked no worse for the wear and will get a Week 8 home date against the Bears where he'll be a borderline QB1 in fantasy.

- NBCSportsEDGE

It’s very clear that Dak is good but not great. He’s overpaid. I’m happy for him- he got a generational wealth contract. He’s accountable and is a leader. Until he leads a deep playoff run, however, he remains overrated- period.

He also looks as if the lower body injuries have sapped some of the running ability. He’s always been a good, but not great passer, thus the mobility concerns hurt his overall game.

His body of work as a starter is large enough to conclude- definitely- that he’s a good player, and that’s where it stops.

Elite QBs win playoff games and elevate when the stakes are high. During Dak’s tenure, that just hasn’t happened. Maybe it changes this year, but I’m not holding my breath.

This team looks just like the last few- poised to lose in the playoffs.

I hope I’m wrong but see no evidence that anything has really changed.

if dallas loses to the vikes tomorrow its time for mccarthy to think about going back to cooper rush. sorry ppl but big d was a force with rush under center. dak is on the back 9 of his career the age and injuries have taken their toll hes just a guy now whereas rush gives them that spark they need

Dak Prescott completed 21-of-30 attempts for 261 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Cowboys' 28-80, Week 12 win over the Giants.​

Prescott found Dalton Schultz for both of his TD passes, one of which was on an impressive 3rd-and-goal conversion for the 15, after the Cowboys had been backed up by penalty. Prescott very nearly had a third TD pass to CeeDee Lamb but he was unable to get both feet in bounds in the back of the end zone. Prescott's receivers generally stepped up to make big catches throughout the game, including a one-handed grab from Lamb and several nice snags from Michael Gallup. Prescott will be a QB1 against the Colts in Week 13.
Nov 24, 2022, 8:21 PM ET

Dak Prescott completed 20-of-30 attempts for 170 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Cowboys' 54-19, Week 13 win over the Colts.​

Dak connected with CeeDee Lamb on a first quarter catch-and-run touchdown before tossing two to Michael Gallup. Prescott and the Cowboys pass-catchers struggled for most of the night to generate splash plays against the stingy Colts secondary, with the longest completion going for only 22 yards. He also wasn't needed for much production with the Dallas running back stable combining for 191 yards and four touchdowns on the ground, and eventually sat out the final two drives with the Cowboys ending the game with the second most points in a fourth quarter in NFL history with 33. The Cowboys control their own destiny in the tight NFC playoff picture, a journey that continues with a Week 14 matchup with the 1-10-1 Texans in Arlington.
Dec 5, 2022, 12:15 AM ET

Dak Prescott completed 25-of-33 passes for 305 yards and four touchdowns in the Cowboys' 31-14, Wild Card Round win over the Buccaneers.​

Prescott added seven carries for 24 yards and a touchdown on the ground. After missing his first three attempts of the night, Prescott was utterly unstoppable for the remainder of the game. He held strong in the pocket and picked apart the Bucs' secondary while taking just one sack. Facing a Tampa Bay offense that couldn't get much going, Prescott nearly had the Bucs' bags packed by halftime. After putting together a middling season as measured by basic stats, Prescott's demolition of Tampa Bay showed that he is capable of lighting up the scoreboard when it matters most. He will look to stay hot against a daunting 49ers defense in the Divisional Round.
Jan 16, 2023, 11:35 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread