What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (3 Viewers)

Speculation from many beat writers is that the Giants will stay with Eli as long as they are in playoff contention.

The 1st time in the schedule that would make sense to get Jones ready to start is week 7 against the Cardinals. The Giants play NE on Thursday of week 6.

That being said there is a decent chance that they are 3-3 after six weeks, if they are I doubt they will pull Eli.
Pretty good chance imo, they play the Redskins bucs and bills. 

I originally quoted you to mention there only being a handful of teams in the league the Giants could beat. Then I saw they actually play half of them early.

That whole conference should be out of playoff contention.  Are they just going to give the thing to the eagles before the season starts or wait to see if Wentz breaks his leg first?

*edit, I just remembered the cowboys exist.  Oh man...
Well, that seems a tad Overkill. 

Giants and Redskins are closer to contending for the #1 pick than a playoff spot.

I will say that as someone watching the games, having something fun to watch each week has an almost unquantifiable value. In that regard Barkley carries plenty of value you can't account for, from a fan perspective. People say they just want SB's, and that they'll even sacrifice now to get one later...but there's something to be said for sitting on your couch or in the stadium and just watching a great player be great every week. Most teams don't have the luxury of that player also being a QB, if they have anyone great at all. 
Yep.

As much as it sucked never going to the super bowl, I wouldn't trade the years of watching Barry for a NFC championship. Maybe for one Lombardi, but that's close. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants coach Pat Shurmur declined to name Eli Manning the Giants' Week 3 starter.

When asked about moving on from Manning, Shurmur slyly responded that Eli's "been our starter so far." He also said it's "fair" to have the discussion on switching to No. 6 overall pick Daniel Jones by Wednesday's practice. Manning's been nothing short of a nightmare through two games, completing 62.9 percent of his passes for 556 yards (6.2 YPA), two scores, and two picks. Even if he were to fail in his first season, the obvious move is to insert 'Danny Dimes', who went 25-of-30 (83.3%) for 369 yards and two touchdowns in preseason play. The rookie should be scooped from waivers in 2-QB leagues immediately.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Sep 16, 2019, 12:26 PM ET

While I expect that Jones will get the nod this weekend, in any case it'll be interesting to see how he fares whenever he does inherit the job.

The Jones pick was universally lambasted by the NFL community, most notably Giants fans, but he did silence his distractors with a great pre-season. But of course, that was pre-season. He does have a handful of weapons around him in Barkley, Engram, Tate and Shepard, but it's not like he's going to be set up for initial success with the offensive line he has to protect him. 

ETA: looks like I just missed the decision

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to add him preemptively Superflex last week and take him in the subscriber contest. Didn't do either.  

Looks like I missed the boat. 

Rotoworld take:

Giants announced rookie Daniel Jones as the team's Week 3 starter.

And the crowd roars. It was an obvious transition once coach Pat Shurmur left the door open for a potential change on Monday, but the good news is the organization didn't hold back any longer despite being on the books for Eli Manning's $23.5 million in 2019. Danny Dimes most recently went 29-of-34 (85.3%) for 416 yards and two scores on just 60 snaps during the preseason. He'll likely battle uphill in his first start without Sterling Shepard (concussion) and Golden Tate (suspension), but it's the correct call to insert the No. 6 overall pick immediately. It's not farfetched to think Week 2 was the last start of Eli's career, finishing with a 116-116 regular season record over 16 seasons.

SOURCE: New York Giants on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 10:11 AM ET

I think with Barkley and Engram Jones can do well .... not elite QB numbers but he'll be fine, they'll allow him to throw, he's proven accurate in pre-season

I'm excited to see him 

well, the offense should be more serviceable, so upgrade all players a little bit.

Does anyone know if Daniel Jones favored a certain position more in college? Either way, Daniel Jones, Barkley, Engram, Shepard, and Tate when he gets back is not awful.

From Evan Silva on Twitter.

Drafted Daniel Jones in #SFB9 mainly for his rushing value; averaged nearly 40 rushing yards per start at Duke & scored 17 rushing TDs.

No. 2 SPARQ score among drafted QBs.

Colossal athleticism upgrade over Eli Manning for #Giants.

I drafted Jones in the 4th of my rookie draft. I already have Barkley and Engram. Looks like a good stack coming soon and they’ll certainly draft a WR in the 2020 draft so I’m excited about that.

Tex

Might want to hold off on the enthusiasm a bit. Jones still has no WRs to speak of besides TJ Jones (actually decent) and Bennie Fowler II (Latimer still has the calf strain and might be in the protocol, Sheperd SHOULD be out of it by Friday but no promises). Saquon and Engram were largely taken away in the passing game until the offense made the D respect Latimer and Fowler. Now Tampa Bay sure isn't the Bills D, but let's not automatically project good things from Jones immediately.

Might want to hold off on the enthusiasm a bit. Jones still has no WRs to speak of besides TJ Jones (actually decent) and Bennie Fowler II (Latimer still has the calf strain and might be in the protocol, Sheperd SHOULD be out of it by Friday but no promises). Saquon and Engram were largely taken away in the passing game until the offense made the D respect Latimer and Fowler. Now Tampa Bay sure isn't the Bills D, but let's not automatically project good things from Jones immediately.
Good points. When Tate returns in a few weeks though, that should help Jones as another safety valve. But it may indeed be tough sledding right away.

Someone brought up a good point about next year drafting a WR. If they are in a position to get Jeudy, imagine an offense with having Barkley, Engram and Jeudy around him.

Starting him over Newton (even if he plays) and Trubisky in 1 league and in another starting him over Flacco, Bridgewater and Minshew who are all on the wire (lost Brees in this league) I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. He's tough (and will need to be behind that line) and I could see running for 50 yards and a score. 

Would anyway drop Winston for Jones in a start 1 QB redraft w/ short benches?  I was hoping I could tag-team Matt Ryan and Winston, but no way I'm putting Winston in there any time but a bye at this point.  I need to examine Bucs & Giants SOS's.

It's a nice story, but doesn't he have ball control and read issues? That said, Tampa had guys open all over the field against them when they played Carolina. So who knows? 

ffmail4me said:
Starting him over Newton (even if he plays) and Trubisky in 1 league and in another starting him over Flacco, Bridgewater and Minshew who are all on the wire (lost Brees in this league) I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. He's tough (and will need to be behind that line) and I could see running for 50 yards and a score. 
In contrast.. I rushed to pick up TB defense.

Down Under said:
Would anyway drop Winston for Jones in a start 1 QB redraft w/ short benches?  I was hoping I could tag-team Matt Ryan and Winston, but no way I'm putting Winston in there any time but a bye at this point.  I need to examine Bucs & Giants SOS's.
Jameis is two flags and two drops away from having 5 TD's through two games.  FWIW.  Small sample size recency bias in full effect.  Good chance he lights up the G-Men on Sunday.

Didn't Jones have a bunch of botched snaps in the pre-season?  I wonder how he'll fare with Vea and Suh lining up over his center.

Didn't Jones have a bunch of botched snaps in the pre-season?  I wonder how he'll fare with Vea and Suh lining up over his center.
He had ball control issues in college, too. I'm not so sure this is a slam dunk here, but your secondary looked awful against Carolina, Cam just couldn't hit water from a boat, etc.

So long as they pepper Engram with passes I don’t really care who starts for the Giants, but I did make a speculative add. He’s got weapons in Barkley, Engram & pretty soon Golden Taint. 

He looked awfully good from what I saw - I still think he was a ridiculous reach of a pick for NYG since literally no one was going to take him in the 1st or 2nd round. But he does look like he’s got a bright future. 

Will be interesting to see how he looks against NFL defenses in games that count. 

Fowler tweaked his hamstring so he may not play but it's looking like Sheperd is going to be ready Sunday

Fowler tweaked his hamstring so he may not play but it's looking like Sheperd is going to be ready Sunday
ok... so now there's no Latimer OR Fowler III but Shep is back so we have:

Sheperd

TJ Jones

Russell Sheperd

Practice Squad dude

... Giants better utilize 3 TE looks and 2 RB looks the next game.

So long as they pepper Engram with passes I don’t really care who starts for the Giants, but I did make a speculative add. He’s got weapons in Barkley, Engram & pretty soon Golden Taint. 

He looked awfully good from what I saw - I still think he was a ridiculous reach of a pick for NYG since literally no one was going to take him in the 1st or 2nd round. But he does look like he’s got a bright future. 

Will be interesting to see how he looks against NFL defenses in games that count. 
Washington was going to take him with their 1st pick, he would not have fallen into the 2nd round. 

Users who are viewing this thread