What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (9 Viewers)

Robinson has had plenty of time working on the only case she's been on a hefty retainer.  Time's up.  Make the decision by the end of today because every NFL training camp will be open by tomorrow including the Browns who are held hostage until she does her only job.

--------------------------------------------------

Browns training camp schedule

Wed., July 27 - Closed practice
he's playing game 1 in 2022, so decision date no big deal

judges know full well why people settle. remember, they were lawyers at one point, for a long period. 

they, unlike us, know that ppl settle even when "innocent". things we can't see or understand, is/was part of their every day lives. 

so no... Robinson wont look at the settling at think "man's guilty tho". Unless of course the evidence shown to her by the nfl shows that, in plain sight. then she would probably assume so (even tho the settled cases are irrelevant)

I cringe a little bit every time people throw out the "people settle cases all the time" thing.....like it means the same thing here...again this isn't a one off where you get in a car wreck or something.....if people can't distinguish between what Watson did and the other one off settlements....there isn't much more to say.....and this isn't like Zantac or something where a corporation is settling because of a faulty product or something.....

he (so far) has had 20 different INDIVIDUAL cases where he felt the need to settle for the same creepy allegations instead of trying to defend his name and character.....

I also cringe a little at the cost analysis angle that people defending him revert to as well, and the it's just "easier to do it and get it over with" crowd........like I said some people have enough money not to worry about their character being questioned....but as others have said, some people are going to hate him forever anyway, so it is what it is......I hope his gets his just due and ####s the bed every Sunday and feels the wrath from fans.....I don't normally feel that way or wish those type of things on people, but since he chose not to fight for his "word" and his character....I hope he gets the wrath....right along with his $230 mil..

if what the NFL presented did not include the 4 cases that chose not to settle....and let's say those go to court and Watson is found guilty/liable.....can the NFL use that information as part of a new investigation and then bring that back to Robinson and kind of start all over....?...

or was what the NFL presented already a one and done deal....?...meaning they can't bring up any further accusations.....

I mean for all we know....what the NFL presented may not include one single thing from the 4 cases that chose not to settle...and those 4 cases may be the "strongest" .....when the NFL went to "do their own investigation" those four plaintiffs and their attorneys could have told the NFL to go pound sand....so none of that information or details may have been available for them to present to Robinson...

Stinkin Ref said:
if what the NFL presented did not include the 4 cases that chose not to settle....and let's say those go to court and Watson is found guilty/liable.....can the NFL use that information as part of a new investigation and then bring that back to Robinson and kind of start all over....?...

or was what the NFL presented already a one and done deal....?...meaning they can't bring up any further accusations.....

I mean for all we know....what the NFL presented may not include one single thing from the 4 cases that chose not to settle...and those 4 cases may be the "strongest" .....when the NFL went to "do their own investigation" those four plaintiffs and their attorneys could have told the NFL to go pound sand....so none of that information or details may have been available for them to present to Robinson...
If the 4 cases are not included in the evidence presented to Judge Robinson and she rules no suspension, I suspect those 4 cases would be settled very quickly. If Watson can get off without a ban, he'll be willing to pay the price. If that happens the NFL will never see those cases, unless they already have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinkin Ref said:

Interesting question. Would help explain to me why it appears the NFL didn't put forth their strongest case if they had more damning evidence.

Stinkin Ref said:
I cringe a little bit every time people throw out the "people settle cases all the time" thing.....like it means the same thing here...again this isn't a one off where you get in a car wreck or something.....if people can't distinguish between what Watson did and the other one off settlements....there isn't much more to say.....and this isn't like Zantac or something where a corporation is settling because of a faulty product or something.....

he (so far) has had 20 different INDIVIDUAL cases where he felt the need to settle for the same creepy allegations instead of trying to defend his name and character.....

I also cringe a little at the cost analysis angle that people defending him revert to as well, and the it's just "easier to do it and get it over with" crowd........like I said some people have enough money not to worry about their character being questioned....but as others have said, some people are going to hate him forever anyway, so it is what it is......I hope his gets his just due and ####s the bed every Sunday and feels the wrath from fans.....I don't normally feel that way or wish those type of things on people, but since he chose not to fight for his "word" and his character....I hope he gets the wrath....right along with his $230 mil..
Honest question - let’s say you’re being sued for something where the only evidence is your testimony vs the other person. Not a criminal matter, and the burden is only to convince a judge that one side is more likely than the other. Let’s say your attorneys assess the risk at 10% that you’ll be found liable for $30 million in damages. Do you settle for $3 million? $1 million? Assume you have $20 million to your name. (Making up these amounts, feel free to adjust to an amount you think reasonable.) now let’s say they assess the risk at 49% that you’ll be found liable. You still probably win but do you take that risk? 
i don’t think most people would change their opinions even if he were found not liable. The GJ didn’t seem to change many opinions. 

Honest question - let’s say you’re being sued for something where the only evidence is your testimony vs the other person. Not a criminal matter, and the burden is only to convince a judge that one side is more likely than the other. Let’s say your attorneys assess the risk at 10% that you’ll be found liable for $30 million in damages. Do you settle for $3 million? $1 million? Assume you have $20 million to your name. (Making up these amounts, feel free to adjust to an amount you think reasonable.) now let’s say they assess the risk at 49% that you’ll be found liable. You still probably win but do you take that risk? 
i don’t think most people would change their opinions even if he were found not liable. The GJ didn’t seem to change many opinions. 
IMO....the goal posts move pretty dramatically when it is 1 on 1 .....vs 1 on 24...

in either situation and if I am 100% innocent (like Watson claims he is) and being accused of the things Watson was....I am going to fight to clear my name....

Watson has the resources if he chooses....but in a 1 on 24 situation the 49% odds of being found  "liable" is probably more like 99% liable....he would lose face and money....so you can see why he settled...because he thinks that yeah he loses some money but in his mind he saves face because "technically" he was never found guilty/liable...let's be honest....a big part of him settling is because he is guilty.....we can say people "settle all the time" and come up with "cost benefit analysis"....but people also settle when they are guilty.....but we don't want to talk about that one....

Does each instance of a violation of the policy have it's own consequences? 

Let's pretend for a moment that none of us know if what was presented will be considered evidence of a violation of the personal conduct policy. Since that's actually where we are.  If the answer is not, this obviously becomes a moot point. 

If "Pulling a DeShaun" is, in fact deemed by Robinson to be a violation of the PCP, she's likely been presented with evidence of multiple instances. In which case wouldn't each instance merit it's own punishment?

Watson has the resources if he chooses....but in a 1 on 24 situation the 49% odds of being found  "liable" is probably more like 99% liable....he would lose face and money....so you can see why he settled...because he thinks that yeah he loses some money but in his mind he saves face because "technically" he was never found guilty/liable...let's be honest....a big part of him settling is because he is guilty.....we can say people "settle all the time" and come up with "cost benefit analysis"....but people also settle when they are guilty.....but we don't want to talk about that one....
This is just not true.

IMO....the goal posts move pretty dramatically when it is 1 on 1 .....vs 1 on 24...

in either situation and if I am 100% innocent and being accused of the things Watson was....I am going to fight to clear my name....

🤷 at least you’re consistent. 
If my guesses are right either way (guilty or not) and he was my client, I’m strongly encouraging him to settle. Sure it’s an easier sell if he did the things alleged. But even if he didn’t, if he’s following my advice, he’s settling (presuming the complainants are reasonable)

🤷 at least you’re consistent. 
If my guesses are right either way (guilty or not) and he was my client, I’m strongly encouraging him to settle. Sure it’s an easier sell if he did the things alleged. But even if he didn’t, if he’s following my advice, he’s settling (presuming the complainants are reasonable)
I am not disagreeing and I 100% see why he would want to settle....

but I am just in the camp of him having actually done these things playing a bigger part than just the "cost benefit analysis" and the "people settle stuff all the time even if they are innocent" crap...

Stinkin Ref said:

Good question.  Does "double jeopardy" apply to NFL vs Player(s)?  

I am not disagreeing and I 100% see why he would want to settle....

but I am just in the camp of him having actually done these things playing a bigger part than just the "cost benefit analysis" and the "people settle stuff all the time even if they are innocent" crap...
If he settles, it costs him money.  If not, it costs him courtroom drama + additional prolonged distractions + money.   If he goes to court about it, public opinion won't change.  (Will yours?) 

If he settles, it costs him money.  If not, it costs him courtroom drama + additional prolonged distractions + money.   If he goes to court about it, public opinion won't change.  (Will yours?) 
said this several pages back....I would 100% percent flip completely to the other side if he actually went to court in each individual civil suit and was found not liable/guilty in any way......

said this several pages back....I would 100% percent flip completely to the other side if he actually went to court in each individual civil suit and was found not liable/guilty in any way......
Let's say this is true.   I assume that any trial is going to be he said/she said with no actual smoking gun one way or the other.  There will be no video or recording or any other definitive "proof" one way or the other.   So if things are basically the same as they are now (he said/she said) and it goes through the process and he is found not liable you will now believe he did absolutely nothing creepy/shady/pervish/etc?

Let's say this is true.   I assume that any trial is going to be he said/she said with no actual smoking gun one way or the other.  There will be no video or recording or any other definitive "proof" one way or the other.   So if things are basically the same as they are now (he said/she said) and it goes through the process and he is found not liable you will now believe he did absolutely nothing creepy/shady/pervish/etc?
read it again if you didn't get it the first time...

The only way you can say this definitively is if you think he did nothing wrong.  I, on the other hand, am sure he is guilty, and am just hoping one of the ladies has audio, video, or text to prove it.

The only way you can say this definitively is if you think he did nothing wrong.  I, on the other hand, am sure he is guilty, and am just hoping one of the ladies has audio, video, or text to prove it.
You are sure he is guilty. Odds are you are correct. If there is no evidence to prove his guilt (the fact that 24 civil lawsuits have been filed is not proof.) should Watson be punished? 

If there is audio, video or text proof of some form of violation or assault, we have a very different ending. My question is solely based on the assumption of no evidence.

You are sure he is guilty. Odds are you are correct. If there is no evidence to prove his guilt (the fact that 24 civil lawsuits have been filed is not proof.) should Watson be punished?

If there is audio, video or text proof of some form of violation or assault, we have a very different ending. My question is solely based on the assumption of no evidence.
As much as I want to say fry his ###, the answer has to be no.

He should've just hired 66 prostitutes instead.  It would've been alot cheaper, and all 66 would've welcomed his advances.  Still, no matter how this all plays out, I will always think he is a sick pervert.

Not at all.  My statement is a hypothetical based on nothing coming out in almost two years such as a video, text, taped phone calls etc that has definitive proof (unless I missed something).  To this point it has been all he said/she said accusations.  

The point I was trying to make is if this goes to a civil trial and he is found not liable and there hasn't been anything new presented would people be satisfied that he was not guilty of anything.  

This isn't a TV show that will recap with flashbacks of what actually happened after a trial.  It is likely there is not a "smoking gun" for either side.  So it comes down to who the jury believes.  

The point I was trying to make is if this goes to a civil trial and he is found not liable and there hasn't been anything new presented would people be satisfied that he was not guilty of anything. 
Not me.  As I have already said, I don't care if every woman on the planet claims he is a saint.  I will only assume he paid them all off and had them sign NDA's.  He is guilty of being a pervert.  Is he guilty of rape?  I seriously doubt it.  I think he has a fetish for trying to turn a no into a yes, and he used masseuses as his guinea pigs.  Actual prostitutes wouldn't have gotten him off, so to speak.

Not me.  As I have already said, I don't care if every woman on the planet claims he is a saint.  I will only assume he paid them all off and had them sign NDA's.  He is guilty of being a pervert.  Is he guilty of rape?  I seriously doubt it.  I think he has a fetish for trying to turn a no into a yes, and he used masseuses as his guinea pigs.  Actual prostitutes wouldn't have gotten him off, so to speak.
I figure most people that are strong on the guilty side at the moment won't be swayed by a civil trial where Watson is found not liable.  That was what I was trying to get at and why it makes sense to settle even if he is innocent.

I figure most people that are strong on the guilty side at the moment won't be swayed by a civil trial where Watson is found not liable.  That was what I was trying to get at and why it makes sense to settle even if he is innocent.
Yes, I am one of the "burn him at the stake" guys, but I don't think I ever said settling makes him looks guilty.  Settling makes sense, guilty or not, if you have the money.  But just remember, anyone who has already made up their mind, like me, will just consider the settlement as hush money.

Truth be told, these are masseuses who have probably been hit on by perverts during massages more than once.  At least they got hit on by a dude who has megabucks.

That’s easy to say. But it’s also easy to say the evidence was too weak, his attorneys too good, has too many resources, Justice is biased against women, and the burden of proof lays with the plaintiffs. And still believe he did the thing. 

As much as I want to say fry his ###, the answer has to be no.

He should've just hired 66 prostitutes instead.  It would've been alot cheaper, and all 66 would've welcomed his advances.  Still, no matter how this all plays out, I will always think he is a sick pervert.
We are much closer to the same opinion of Watson than you may think. He is a pervert, whose reputation as a person is forever tainted. He will deservedly lose some cash, he might have to serve a suspension, but we will always think of him as a disgusting human being. 

Perhaps if Watson seeks treatment on his own and admits his wrong doing, he can reclaim some of his reputation, but short of that.....

We are much closer to the same opinion of Watson than you may think. He is a pervert, whose reputation as a person is forever tainted. He will deservedly lose some cash, he might have to serve a suspension, but we will always think of him as a disgusting human being. 

Perhaps if Watson seeks treatment on his own and admits his wrong doing, he can reclaim some of his reputation, but short of that.....
It's as simple as this. What annoys me are the fans saying oh everybody does stuff like this, nobody cares, whatever, trying to convince themselves and everyone else. There are degrees of creepiness and abuse and everyone has their own tolerance.

It's as simple as this. What annoys me are the fans saying oh everybody does stuff like this, nobody cares, whatever, trying to convince themselves and everyone else. There are degrees of creepiness and abuse and everyone has their own tolerance.
I will not draft Watson in redraft for the foreseeable future, simply because IMO, dude’s a creep.

Is it entirely fair for me to have that opinion? Maybe not, no. But to me, the pattern of behavior we do know of, screams “creep”.

That said, I think it’s unfair to judge dynasty shareholders, especially those who had/held him since before any of this came out, or those who bought on the dip just before all this came out.

If I were one (I’m not) I’d hold and hope for the best, of course. That’s not the same as making excuses for him or minimizing his creepiness - but the perspective that sometimes ya get stuck with an asset you don’t love is important here. 

I will not draft Watson in redraft for the foreseeable future, simply because IMO, dude’s a creep.

Is it entirely fair for me to have that opinion? Maybe not, no. But to me, the pattern of behavior we do know of, screams “creep”.

That said, I think it’s unfair to judge dynasty shareholders, especially those who had/held him since before any of this came out, or those who bought on the dip just before all this came out.

If I were one (I’m not) I’d hold and hope for the best, of course. That’s not the same as making excuses for him or minimizing his creepiness - but the perspective that sometimes ya get stuck with an asset you don’t love is important here. 

Interesting.  Have you had similar "do not draft" stances against other bad actors?  Tyreek, Zeke, Big Ben, Kareem Hunt, et al?  Just curious.

Interesting.  Have you had similar "do not draft" stances against other bad actors?  Tyreek, Zeke, Big Ben, Kareem Hunt, et al?  Just curious.
I have indeed. I passed on Big Ben numerous times over the years. I did not draft Vick. I had Hunt before his incident.

well, he did

right up to the point where they fell far enough that they screamed value
Actually no, I passed on all of them even at great value because I didn’t want them on my team (other than Tyreek one year, tbh)

But thanks for calling me a hypocrite with zero evidence & being totally wrong. It’s a good look. 

so, right when his draft slot screams enough value is just when you could change your mind
I can only remember one time where I would not draft a player, and it was Vick.  To this day, I would still enjoy watching a video of him getting mauled.  I guess I draw my line at the mistreatment of dogs instead of humans.

from a FF perspective....I am avoiding because IMO, I feel like this situation is different from many of the others we have seen where a player does something and then after awhile that player is welcomed back with open arms and cheered like "nothing ever happened'....the volume is an issue...

was Vick a POS....yeah....but he did his prison time for his actions and admitted he was basically a POS and took accountability and did what he could to "make things right".....

but I am avoiding Watson because of my concern that his on field performance will be affected by these transgressions....and the reception he will receive, etc....I have absolutely zero to base this opinion on, but I just don't know of his ability to block things out, like fans and the public outcry....what kind of intestinal fortitude does he have....how is he going to react when things go sideways....how do his teammates feel about him, etc.....

I get the "eventually people, including his teammates, will only care about how he plays on Sunday"....but I can't help but think it is going to be something he struggles with....

I also realize many FF will take advantage of people like me with this attitude and it very well may work out great for them.....but if I miss out on Watson's FF points....so be it...

I have him in a sf dynasty. Having a real hard time finding appropriate value. Not even real sure what I’d want in return. 

targetting him everywhere i can (suspension pending) if the price is right. 

but you knew that
I wish you were in my league. Best offer I received a couple months ago was 1.11 (would have been sky Moore) and a presumed late 23 1st. Not enough in SF for me to dump him. I’ve offered him for Derek carr, or Austin hooper, the 6 (would have been Jameson) and a 23 1st. Neither garnered a counter. 

but I am avoiding Watson because of my concern that his on field performance will be affected by these transgressions....and the reception he will receive, etc....I have absolutely zero to base this opinion on, but I just don't know of his ability to block things out, like fans and the public outcry....what kind of intestinal fortitude does he have....how is he going to react when things go sideways....how do his teammates feel about him, etc.....
I feel like this angle gets overplayed when situations like these arise.  We're talking about proven world-class athletes, professional athletes who have jobs to do and are well-paid to do them.  8-9 games/year they are asked to perform in hostile environments.  Most are able to.

Really?  Do you know the Robert Kraft story?

He arraigned for a 'massage' at the upscale hotel he was staying at but they were booked so he booked 'massages' for his 8 man team who wanted to 'celebrate'  the Patriots playoff win.  

All 8 were caught ON TAPE entering the 'spa', smiling and joking with arms raised like an NFL referee signaling a successful kick.  Then according to police reports the women serviced the men, orally and with hands to their genitals and ######'.  Get that mental picture in your head.

That very night Robert Kraft arranged yet ANOTHER massage at the same spa.  When he showed up the police notified him he and his entire 8-man team had been caught ON TAPE.  At that point Robert Kraft turned to the officer and said.

'Do you know who I am?'

In the span of less than 24 hours Robert Kraft arranged 3 massages for himself and at least an additional 8 'massages' for his team for a grand total of 11 massages in less than 24 hours.  

Robert Kraft is the 'rub and tug' queen.

The funny part is, even though he was caught ON TAPE gettinng a hand  job Robert Kraft wasn't booked, wasn't charged, served no time, got off without any public investigation because 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?' got his tape declared inadmissable in court because 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM' or 'Mr. 11 BOOKED MASSAGES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS' got his tape and the tapes of his 'ORAL, HAND, and ANALLY' serviced team removed from prosecution.

The hystercial part of 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM ROBERT KRAFT THE RUB AND TUG QUEEN' is he got the women who serviced him fined TENS OF  THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

The NFL didn't punish 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM' the 'RUB AND TUG QUEEN ROBERT KRAFT' at all.  Nothing.  

No suspension,

No fines.

Why?

DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS?

11 booked massages in less than 24 hours the rub and tug queen that is who he is.  

Yep, yer right.  Watson has nothing on Robert Kraft.

11 massages booked in less than 24 hours that is a clip of over 4,000 massages per year.   No criminal charges, no trials, no time served, no punishment from the league, no public outcry.
Can't make this up, lol.

Send that man to the NFL Hall Of Fame.

--------------------------------------------------

New England Patriots@Patriots

Robert Kraft’s winning resume since purchasing the Patriots in 1994 is remarkable in itself, but his impact on the game of football extends even further. Now officially a finalist for the

@ProFootballHOF

,@pfwpaul

makes his case for Canton: https://bit.ly/3cNJZfx

I feel like this angle gets overplayed when situations like these arise.  We're talking about proven world-class athletes, professional athletes who have jobs to do and are well-paid to do them.  8-9 games/year they are asked to perform in hostile environments.  Most are able to.
overall statement is fair....but also kinda somewhat supporting what I'm saying.....many take this as "just another" incident of transgression by a football player....Vick, Ben, Zeke, whatever...and the athlete will play through it...

bolded....but for me I don't see it that way....this isn't just "another situation" ...IMO....the volume is the key to me ...and also taking into consideration the recent movements and causes in the world today......you will be one of the FF players that benefits from taking advantage of FF players that read more into this  "overplayed" angle if Watson sees no drop in production and balls out...and I'm fine with that....do I hope to be one of those "I told you so " guys....and it turns out to be a wasted pick for you....you bet....we'll see how it shakes out....

Users who are viewing this thread