What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

Really, there is only a few decision options here.  What's funny is when the decision does come down, we are going to have a parade of "I told you so'ers" in here.
I suspect that’s what the schtick is all about.

The majority of the folks in this topic are “we’ll see what happens and comment when it does”. 

It’s the confident declarations that are a total schtick, clearly intended to set up that very scenario. It’s pretty obnoxious. 

The Browns could not have played this worse.
Not trying to argue with you, it’s your opinion and I respect it, I just don’t get this take.

What evidence is there that the Browns did not expect or anticipate a delay, a short term suspension or potentially a season long suspension? From all appearances, the Browns researched this matter extremely well and I do not see any reason that they will be shocked if there is a long term suspension. I’m sure they will state they “are disappointed with the ruling” but to think they did not think this was possible - I don’t think so.

They investigated the matter and went with the risk versus reward.  They think their team is close to contending for a deep run in the next five years and they  did not have confidence in Baker. They even told Baker that they would look at upgrading the QB position if something presented itself. It did.  If they lose Watson for a season or the majority of this season, they know they have him and a solid team for at least the next four seasons. That’s pretty good window to compete.

They  knew they had to make an extreme $ offer to get Watson to even consider Cleveland. It worked. We may think it was extreme and ridiculous, but it’s their money and they got the guy that was available. They weren’t the only team after him! 

Will Watson turn out to be the right guy? Don’t know. I don’t think the W’s and L’s will be worst than a Baker led team.

I get it if you don’t like Watson or believe he is completely guilty. Just don’t think I agree with, “The Browns could have not played this worse.” Would that statement be true of Carolina or Atlanta or New Orleans or whoever got him in your opinion? 

we’ll be sure to get a memo to the judge ASAP that Bracie Smathers is just about out of patience. I’m sure that’ll do the trick. 
:rolleyes:  
I know the reason for the delay.

She is carefully reading your posts in this thread.

713 and counting.  No former federal judge would ever reach a decision without carefully ingesting every word of Hot Sauce Guy.

Hot Sauce Guy713 posts

I know the reason for the delay.

She is carefully reading your posts in this thread.

713 and counting.  No former federal judge would ever reach a decision without carefully ingesting every word of Hot Sauce Guy.

Hot Sauce Guy713 posts
By my count that all adds up to the rambling nonsense in like 4 of your posts, so…yeah. 

Not trying to argue with you, it’s your opinion and I respect it, I just don’t get this take.

What evidence is there that the Browns did not expect or anticipate a delay, a short term suspension or potentially a season long suspension? From all appearances, the Browns researched this matter extremely well and I do not see any reason that they will be shocked if there is a long term suspension. I’m sure they will state they “are disappointed with the ruling” but to think they did not think this was possible - I don’t think so.

They investigated the matter and went with the risk versus reward.  They think their team is close to contending for a deep run in the next five years and they  did not have confidence in Baker. They even told Baker that they would look at upgrading the QB position if something presented itself. It did.  If they lose Watson for a season or the majority of this season, they know they have him and a solid team for at least the next four seasons. That’s pretty good window to compete.

They  knew they had to make an extreme $ offer to get Watson to even consider Cleveland. It worked. We may think it was extreme and ridiculous, but it’s their money and they got the guy that was available. They weren’t the only team after him! 

Will Watson turn out to be the right guy? Don’t know. I don’t think the W’s and L’s will be worst than a Baker led team.

I get it if you don’t like Watson or believe he is completely guilty. Just don’t think I agree with, “The Browns could have not played this worse.” Would that statement be true of Carolina or Atlanta or New Orleans or whoever got him in your opinion? 

yes, I think it was a bad move for anyone to give a fully guaranteed record breaking contract to a player whose eligibility is in question with an undetermined timeline for a resolution, who sat out an entire season already.

yes, I think it was a bad move for anyone to give a fully guaranteed record breaking contract to a player whose eligibility is in question with an undetermined timeline for a resolution, who sat out an entire season already.
even if he plays at an all world level for the next 10 years?

which he has proven to be completely capable of

I suspect that’s what the schtick is all about.

The majority of the folks in this topic are “we’ll see what happens and comment when it does”. 

It’s the confident declarations that are a total schtick, clearly intended to set up that very scenario. It’s pretty obnoxious. 
can't help you took the wrong side

even your 713 posts won't turn the tide

Not worth a $230MM gamble in my view.  Having not played last year, he potentially can be off the field for two full seasons -- I am not sure that he will be the same player when he takes a snap for the Browns.
yet, even with reduced effectiveness,  he'll still be the best QB the Browns have had in decades 

worth it if you want to win,

maybe not if you want to lie to your fans about "winning" and just bank huge money every year

Not worth a $230MM gamble in my view.  Having not played last year, he potentially can be off the field for two full seasons -- I am not sure that he will be the same player when he takes a snap for the Browns.

And we haven't even got into how fragile/injury prone he is.  Cleveland better pray that knee is ok.  

He's probably worth the money they've committed to him. And he's probably worth the draft choices they had to give up to get him.

But there's no way he's worth both the money and the draft choices, IMO.

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports the "ruling on Deshaun Watson’s likely suspension could come early next week."

She noted that NFL Disciplinary Officer Sue L. Robinson "will issue her written decision when she’s ready and not on the NFL’s timetable." It was previously reported that the league wanted a decision made before the start of training camp, but that date came and went with no ruling. Per ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio, the Browns are prepared for an eight-game suspension. As the Browns' roster currently stands, Jacoby Brissett would start in those contests. If that happens, expect Cleveland to lean heavily on their backfield until Watson is available.

RELATED: 

Jacoby Brissett

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

Jul 29, 2022, 5:56 PM ET

even if he plays at an all world level for the next 10 years?

which he has proven to be completely capable of
He has proven he is capable of playing at an all world level for the next 10 years?  The only thing he has proven so far is he can lead the league in sacks.

This is a really lame schtick you two have going. It’s baseless, wishful thinking, and is in no way beneficial to the topic. It contributes nothing, yet you both continue to propagate it.

Frankly, it’s pretty weird at this point. 

Hold your horses here, scotty scoville... Now, I like to have fun, but my fun is ALWAYS rooted in truths. 

Baseless? Did we not get confirmation that 20% of the NFLs entire case was TOSSED by Sue Robinson, from the outset? 

So how is my point baseless? It's absolutely rooted in fact. 

You need to change your sig to " I am the law", that would be cool
I kinda wish we had sigs. Except then you’d get someone with a quote like, “Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around.”

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

Then conversations look like this:

——————————————

A: hey, so I’m looking to trade Cousins. What do you think I can get for him?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around.

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

B: I dunno, maybe a 3rd if SF?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

- H.L. Mencken

A: Oh, it’s single QB

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around.

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

B: huh, maybe a 5th, then? 

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

- H.L. Mencken

A: ok, thanks! 

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

————————————

ok, I don’t miss sigs. I miss sig bets though. 💡 

At that point the last 100 pages or so of this thread will have been the most colossal waste of time in the history of the interwebs.  :lmao:  
i disagree. It’s already been a colossal waste of time, but it was a slow off-season when most of it was posted, and it was clearly cathartic for some folks who needed to get a lot off their mind, so I guess it served its purpose.

:shrug:  

I am getting a kick out of Robinson not giving two fits about the preferred NFL/NFLPA timeline.
what's the hurry?

seems those in the know are operating under a minimum suspension (if not 0)

which is the scenario the Browns are operating under

only the lynch mob who bought into the Buzbee circus and desperate for a permanent suspension are clamoring for a verdict to justify their witchhunt

seems those in the know are operating under a minimum suspension (if not 0)
wut

what on god’s green earth are you basing this on? Who are “those in the know”? The voices in your head?

:unsure:

which is the scenario the Browns are operating under
wut, pt 2

The Browns paid Watson on a structure that’s far more indicative of his playing 0 games than being suspended for 0 games.

Heck, they just brought in Josh Rosen, a QB. That also seems like they anticipate needing another QB. 

Again, please explain how the Browns are possibly operating under the scenario that Watson will have a 0 game suspension. 

only the lynch mob who bought into the Buzbee circus and desperate for a permanent suspension are clamoring for a verdict to justify their witchhunt
Just utter nonsense. Most believing he will be suspended aren’t on a “witch hunt”, but rather are completely reasonably reacting to the information we have. And based on past NFL actions against players who violate the PCP, (Roethlisburger, etc) it seems totally reasonable that a suspension is likely.

Hmmmmmm interesting

@JosinaAnderson

I’m told relevant parties have already been notified that Sue Robinson is currently expected to inform them of the decision in the Deshaun Watson proceeding by some time Monday, per league sources.

Hmmmmmm interesting

@JosinaAnderson

I’m told relevant parties have already been notified that Sue Robinson is currently expected to inform them of the decision in the Deshaun Watson proceeding by some time Monday, per league sources.
Twitter should be fun in about 24 hours.

Hmmmmmm interesting

@JosinaAnderson

Nice “breaking news” for something that…broke on Friday.

Josina Anderson is a joke.

Robinson is going to make her ruling @ 10:00 est Monday, just after this forum goes off-line for several days.  At that point the last 100 pages or so of this thread will have been the most colossal waste of time in the history of the interwebs.  :lmao:  

Hmmmmmm interesting

@JosinaAnderson

:coffee:

Per sources, Deshaun Watson and the NFL did engage in further settlement talks in recent days, but neither side felt they got close. The best Watson’s side indicated it would accept was 6-8 games. Best league indicated it was willing to do was 12 games + heavy fine $8 mil range).

Interesting that the league was no longer insisting on an indefinite suspension with right to apply for reinstatement after a certain number of games. But the heavy fine was the tradeoff and Watson/NFLPA balked at it.

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1553903513717149697

So much speculation for months, so I’ll go on the record : I think she gives him 6 games. I think he has a decent shot to appeal and get it reduced to ~4 and we see him around week 5. 

I, personally, suspect he did something at least once here. He might have been a creep show many times, but wouldn’t surprise me if he crossed a legal line more than once. Although, no criminal charges have been brought and I suspect that means a lot of he/she said evidence was produced, hence why I suspect she recommends to suspend based on “public rep damage” but doesn’t go extreme, even if she thinks he did it, due to lack of direct evidence. 

So much speculation for months, so I’ll go on the record : I think she gives him 6 games. I think he has a decent shot to appeal and get it reduced to ~4 and we see him around week 5. 

I, personally, suspect he did something at least once here. He might have been a creep show many times, but wouldn’t surprise me if he crossed a legal line more than once. Although, no criminal charges have been brought and I suspect that means a lot of he/she said evidence was produced, hence why I suspect she recommends to suspend based on “public rep damage” but doesn’t go extreme, even if she thinks he did it, due to lack of direct evidence. 
If I were a masseuse making 50K a year and a rich person "crossed a line" during an appointment, would I prefer an apology or money?  If you wanna know the answer, just ask the 20 ladies that settled.

3 of the remaining 4 settled (official, per top sources), the day before the parties were advised a decision is coming.

Does that mean something or mean nothing? Could be seen as getting something before the well runs dry, or could just be sheer coiincidence.

Anyways, it's been a hoot. Served it's purpose during the boring months. Cheers to you all, even if I disagreed with you, and still do. 

3 of the remaining 4 settled (official, per top sources), the day before the parties were advised a decision is coming.

Does that mean something or mean nothing? Could be seen as getting something before the well runs dry, or could just be sheer coiincidence.

Anyways, it's been a hoot. Served it's purpose during the boring months. Cheers to you all, even if I disagreed with you, and still do. 
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/01/deshaun-watson-civil-cass-settlements/

I am the last remaining masseuse.  I demand $230M

Well, guess Josina isn't all that full of crap... The big guys are all on board with the same information now about a decision today. 

Maybe just this time she knows more than we're used to her knowing... We'll find out soon!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread