What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (1 Viewer)

Love has not played well, obviously. But what I cannot for the life of me undestand is how stupid the Packers were in surrounding him with talent.

He's literally the most tenured member of the QB/WR/TE on that offense. Where's the AJ Brown or Deandre Hopkins or Tyreek Hill or Adam Thielen to help both the QB and young WRs?

It's crazy to me that you're wanting to develop and evaluate your QB and your most tenured receiver is in his second year. This is a unit that Aaron Rodgers had a down year with in 2022, only hitting 3700 yards. Even Patrick Mahomes' inexperienced unit has his top (wide) receiver in yards (Rice) is only averaging 45 yards/game.

I don't understand why the FO/coaches haven't gotten more criticism for this. Your top 3 WRs and TE had a combined 2 years of experience entering 2023.

Love has not played well, obviously. But what I cannot for the life of me undestand is how stupid the Packers were in surrounding him with talent.

He's literally the most tenured member of the QB/WR/TE on that offense. Where's the AJ Brown or Deandre Hopkins or Tyreek Hill or Adam Thielen to help both the QB and young WRs?

It's crazy to me that you're wanting to develop and evaluate your QB and your most tenured receiver is in his second year. This is a unit that Aaron Rodgers had a down year with in 2022, only hitting 3700 yards. Even Patrick Mahomes' inexperienced unit has his top (wide) receiver in yards (Rice) is only averaging 45 yards/game.

I don't understand why the FO/coaches haven't gotten more criticism for this. Your top 3 WRs and TE had a combined 2 years of experience entering 2023.
Mahomes at least has Kelce.

I don't know it's a pretty long history of the Packers having great QBs and so being able to make good WR with lower investment in them in terms of draft picks for the most part and that worked out pretty well for them.

There have been many 2nd Round WR picks though and many of them have panned out. That's what they have now in fact but yes they are young.

Packers fans could explain better than me why they let Adam's go.

I do recall hearing Rodgers fussing about this, I think the year they drafted Love and after that.

Javon Walker the last 1st round WR pick by the Packers in 2002. He was promising but kind of forced his way out, which may have something to do with that.

Watson as the 34th overall pick pretty close to a 1st round pick.

Last edited:
I don't care who they surround him with, this guy doesn't throw the ball when receiver's are open, and is extremely inaccurate when he does throw the ball. He has attempted 234 passes this year, and 44 of them have been graded as "poor". This is his FOURTH season in the league. This guy is completely trash.

I want the Packers to suffer from poor QB play as much as anyone. It makes me happy.

However I feel like the criticism of Love is at least a bit exagerated. He's no Christan Ponder anyways.

I want the Packers to suffer from poor QB play as much as anyone. It makes me happy.

However I feel like the criticism of Love is at least a bit exagerated. He's no Christan Ponder anyways.
I agree that he is not getting much help, but he is not doing himself any favors either. Apart from Rodgers throwing back-shoulder fades to Adams, MLF has shown to be an utter disaster at calling plays. I think he should get a lot of the blame for the lack of development of Love.

I agree that he is not getting much help, but he is not doing himself any favors either. Apart from Rodgers throwing back-shoulder fades to Adams, MLF has shown to be an utter disaster at calling plays. I think he should get a lot of the blame for the lack of development of Love.
Of course.

I would just Add that Adam's is exceptionally good at back shoulder fades. This was a big chunk of the plays he won in college with Carr as well. So I don't consider it a coaching flaw to run plays the players are very good at.

Adam's won lots of other ways as well.

His gm and coach are getting significant criticism for roster construction. But part of that criticism is drafting a qb during a final Super Bowl window when the pick could have better been used on a player who could contribute immediately.

Love sat for 3 years and still looks completely overmatched. I think a healthy Watson and Doubs is a fine starting duo. What I would have liked to see is packers signing a veteran tight end - not a high priced one but a player like Hayden Hurst or Foster Moreau.

Of course.

I would just Add that Adam's is exceptionally good at back shoulder fades. This was a big chunk of the plays he won in college with Carr as well. So I don't consider it a coaching flaw to run plays the players are very good at.

Adam's won lots of other ways as well.
No, I was not saying that those plays were a coaching flaw. I was saying that he got a lot of credit for the team's offense/record his first two years in large part because of Rodgers' and Adams' chemistry that went beyond the play that was called.

I don't care who they surround him with, this guy doesn't throw the ball when receiver's are open, and is extremely inaccurate when he does throw the ball. He has attempted 234 passes this year, and 44 of them have been graded as "poor". This is his FOURTH season in the league. This guy is completely trash.

This is why it makes evaluation so hard.

Yes, he's been inaccurate at times. But I've seen a lot of trash routes from those receivers (as Rodgers got very angry about last year), and lots of dropped balls.

To my eye, these Wars are all playing like WR3, if that.

There's no one reliable, other than Aaron Jones who's been hurt, on that offense. Who's doing the mentoring, the coaching? Who can show just by being on the field how to run a route, how to practice?

These WRs have been bad. So has Love. And because there are no track records, it's damn hard to evaluate.

The GM and coaching staff, including the head coach and both coordinators, are getting ripped to shreds here locally for the apparent lack of support for a first year QB - in terms of inexperienced supporting teammates and in the gameplans. Of the offensive "skill" positions on the roster, every single player except Aaron Jones is playing on his rookie contract this season. As many have noted, it is very difficult to evaluate the QB's performance under these circumstances. There are some obvious shortcomings in Love's performances to date, but at the same time even a complete idiot like me can see that the young WR's, terrible OL and bizarre gameplans are not helping him. I guess its possible they are just all intentionally being thrown in the deep end to see who sinks and who swims. In any event, I do agree with the GM's comment yesterday that the full remaining 10 games will be necessary before forming any meaningful judgment. Love could certainly still develop into a decent starting-level NFL QB.

He's the slowest QB I have seen this season, and only because I was bored enough to watch the only game I seen him in.

Love is definitely somewhere between Rodgers and Christian Ponder…..
Lol. It doesn’t look like Love is the answer but the above is why I still want Packers to let him play out the whole season (save maybe the last game to give Clifford game action). Packers need to move on - they aren’t going anywhere this season so let Love play majority of season so there can be no doubt he isn’t the answer and they can move on in the offseason. I don’t want him on the team in 2024 in any capacity.

If he continues to play as he has there is a good chance Packers secure the 1 or 2. And that would bet them Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. Right now I like Maye a little better but think both are future very good NFL starters.

20 of 26 today and of the 6 incompletions there was one spike to stop the clock and a couple throwaways to avoid sacks. He was sacked 4 times and narrowly avoided a few more.
He also underthrew Watson on a deep ball that could have been a touchdown. Overall a good day for #10 against what seems like a very poor team.

The GM and coaching staff, including the head coach and both coordinators, are getting ripped to shreds here locally for the apparent lack of support for a first year QB - in terms of inexperienced supporting teammates and in the gameplans. Of the offensive "skill" positions on the roster, every single player except Aaron Jones is playing on his rookie contract this season. As many have noted, it is very difficult to evaluate the QB's performance under these circumstances. There are some obvious shortcomings in Love's performances to date, but at the same time even a complete idiot like me can see that the young WR's, terrible OL and bizarre gameplans are not helping him. I guess its possible they are just all intentionally being thrown in the deep end to see who sinks and who swims. In any event, I do agree with the GM's comment yesterday that the full remaining 10 games will be necessary before forming any meaningful judgment. Love could certainly still develop into a decent starting-level NFL QB.
Jordan Love is a terrible NFL quarterback, just like he was a terrible college QB his final year at Utah State. He shows flashes, the same as any pro QB should, but his total body of work is brutal. People can blame everything else but he still missing open guys, not throwing the ball to open receivers, and proving to be the single worst deep ball thrower in NFL history. CJ Stroud does not seem to be having any issues under similar circumstances. Sam Howell doesn’t seem to be having any issues either.

This is why it makes evaluation so hard.

Yes, he's been inaccurate at times. But I've seen a lot of trash routes from those receivers (as Rodgers got very angry about last year), and lots of dropped balls.

To my eye, these Wars are all playing like WR3, if that.

There's no one reliable, other than Aaron Jones who's been hurt, on that offense. Who's doing the mentoring, the coaching? Who can show just by being on the field how to run a route, how to practice?

These WRs have been bad. So has Love. And because there are no track records, it's damn hard to evaluate.
Mentoring? He was got his apprenticeship for THREE YEARS under one of the best QBs the league has ever seen. THREE. YEARS. People forget the Love is in the same draft class as Burrow, Herbert and Hurts. I hear everyone equating him to a rookie, which is laughable. He has had 3 training camps, 3 off-seasons, and thousands of hours of practice in an NFL setting.

I had Love backing up AR in dynasty. I still think Love has a chance to turn it around but I think it depends on Aaron Jones' health. They are a different offense with him on the field. I traded a third for Howell until Love shows some life again.

The thing is though that in today's NFL 65% completion percentage is average over the last 3 seasons, while back in Favres Era it was about 60% Rodgers 62%

They were outperforming the average while Love is below average.
I agree. I get what the author was trying to do but comparing people who played in different eras purely on stats is kinda ridiculous.
I do think the point about the inexperience of Loves receivers compared to what Favre and Rodgers had to work with is totally valid and the quality of the receivers does affect stats like completion percentage.

It could turn around in time.

My hope (as a Vikings fan) is that the Packers are patient with Love but he never rises to above average.

The thing is though that in today's NFL 65% completion percentage is average over the last 3 seasons, while back in Favres Era it was about 60% Rodgers 62%

They were outperforming the average while Love is below average.
I agree. I get what the author was trying to do but comparing people who played in different eras purely on stats is kinda ridiculous.
I do think the point about the inexperience of Loves receivers compared to what Favre and Rodgers had to work with is totally valid and the quality of the receivers does affect stats like completion percentage.

It could turn around in time.

My hope (as a Vikings fan) is that the Packers are patient with Love but he never rises to above average.
You will probably see your hope become reality

Mahomes and Tua bye on same week forcing me to start Love in a dynasty league with no QBs on waiver wire :kicksrock:

First start for Love after losing both Cousins and Burrow. Good stat line and I thought he looked good generally. Takes a lot of risks with the ball. Better defenses may have picked him a couple of times today. Even missing Jones and Musgrave, I really liked Watson and Reed today too.

I will be the first to eat crow and admit that he is doing things now that I did not think he was capable of doing. He looked like a legit NFL QB the last few weeks, and even made some throws that made me take notice. The play calling seemed to open up as well, which is good to see for his progression. A month ago I would have thought this guy's ceiling was Teddy Bridgewater. I was wrong.

Not sure if it was the true intention or not; but from my view the packers basically decided to put more emphasis on having Love build a connection with their very young, but imo high upside, skill group and suffer a bit through this season, rather than bring in a veteran receiver for a year or two for Love to use as a safety blanket. They've all had their growing pains together, but when things start clicking like they have the past two weeks, it looks to be a decision that will pay off in the long run. They will obv need to grab a RB in the offseason; but Love, Musgrave, Reed, Watson, and Wicks I think will be a strong core heading into 2024. Like I've said in previous posts, I think the coaching staff had some growing pains too, better learning these guys skill sets in real games and making adjustments on the fly in how best to feature them in the offense. If they finish out the year looking like they have, maybe (hopefully) showing even a little more growth, the whole team is one I'll probably be buying low on in the offseason/next years redraft leagues.

Next Gen Stats
Jordan Love keeps the Packers drive alive with a 33-yard pass to Romeo Doubs on a long 4th & 1.

🔹 Pass Rush Separation: 1.8 yds
🔹 Air Distance: 45.0 yds
🔹 Completion Probability: 31.0%