What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (6 Viewers)

This guy is in the conversation for number one overall. Why didn’t his team throw more? Stats seem light for a small school guy who is highly regarded. 

The Giants’ Biggest Draft Since 2004—When Dave Gettleman Was There Too

Excerpt:

JOSH ALLEN AT NO. 1? REALLY?

In Peter King’s monstrous Monday Morning Quarterback this week, he cited a FOD (Friend of Dorsey, Browns general manager John Dorsey) who projected the Browns would take Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen with the No. 1 pick.

That’s still hard to swallow for those who, on the surface, have a hard time loving a quarterback with a bad TD/INT ratio and an even more troubling completion percentage (56.3, when at least some NFL QB coaches I’ve spoken to over the years view 60 as a low bar standard). Going deeper, Football Outsiders’ QBASE quarterback projection algorithm has Allen way behind, calling his statistics “horrifying”:

Last year, Wyoming finished 119th in passing S&P+ out of 130 teams in FBS. That will be the lowest rank ever for a quarterback chosen in the top 100 picks of the NFL draft. Yes, I know, Allen wasn't playing with a bunch of NFL-bound talent around him. He also wasn't facing a lot of NFL-bound talent on defense. The average opponent faced by Wyoming ranked just 83.5 in pass defense S&P+. Allen's performance against top opponents was brutal. He threw two picks with no touchdowns against Iowa, with just 4.35 yards per attempt. He completed just 9-of-24 passes with 64 yards and a pick against Oregon. He completed 44 percent of passes with two picks and only 131 yards against Boise State.

Since 1997, there have been 27 different quarterbacks chosen in the top 100 with QBASE ratings below zero. The best of these quarterbacks was either Josh McCown or Brian Griese. It's a terrible group of quarterback busts. Negative-QBASE passers chosen in the first round include Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, and Patrick Ramsey.

I was curious, then, what someone who knows Allen quite well would say – both about his statistical shortcomings and about his potential as a No. 1 pick. Enter Brent Vigen, Wyoming’s quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator and associate head coach. We wrote about his prowess as an NFL pipeline coordinator last week.

The MMQB: What has been the common line of questioning when scouts come in asking about Josh?

Brent Vigen: “I think it’s generally the same. It’s not a matter of his talent, it’s getting to know more about him as a competitor and a student of the game. His background, how he reacts to situations. It’s really no different than when we evaluate high school prospects. You have a sense of what you think about the kid physically and on the field, but what’s their character? How are they when things don’t go well? That’s what I’ve gotten more than questions about scheme or specific plays or anything like that.”

The MMQB: Do you have an idea of where Josh is ending up?

BV: “You could certainly see different scenarios unfolding. No one has told us much of anything as far as what their plans are, but it’s apparent that several teams have positioned themselves to understand everything they possibly can about him. And if they have the chance and it presents itself, they would feel they know everything they need to know in order to take him. I will say all those teams at the top have all shown a lot of interest and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up in any of those places.

The MMQB: Does that include the team at No. 1?

BV:
Yeah. I think that’s fair. They had a whole contingent out here at pro day and the night before. It’s not like they’re just paying lip service to him. I could definitely see that happening—based on that alone.

The MMQB: Do you scoff at people who point at his completion percentage? What do you make of that number and critics who say Josh needs to be more accurate?

BV:
I think it’s a deeper understanding than just the number. I do think the number matters. The number, though, may be a bigger product of your offense than the quarterback. I know from an accuracy standpoint and decision-making, his numbers spiked this year. That doesn’t make the stat sheet, but that’s our grading sheet. We grade each game, so no, I think he’s fully capable of doing the things he needs to do. To assess those numbers is fair, but sometimes it’s more of a reflection of the offense than purely the quarterback. That’s scheme, personnel, all the things. Sometimes offenses do things to inflate completion percentage. Good or bad, that probably didn’t happen for us this year. So he’s become the brunt of that and he’s had to take it all on. I think the only way he’ll be able to dispel that is to go to the next level.”

Last edited by a moderator:
There is "a lot of buzz around the league right now" linking Wyoming QB Josh Allen to Arizona GM Steve Keim, according to the MMQB's Albert Breer.

The Cardinals currently have Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon at quarterback, and they likely aren't done. At pick No. 15, the Cardinals are certainly out of the top four quarterback area. Breer suggests a possible jump into the top six is necessary. As the process continues to chug along, it seems likely that Josh Allen will be a top five selection.

Source: The MMQB 

Apr 5 - 11:17 AM

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell compared Josh Allen to Ben Roethlisberger and Kyle Boller.

Campbell explained his dual comparison by saying "When Allen is playing well, he looks like a young Roethlisberger with his powerful arm, mobility and ability to make big plays with his feet. When Allen is struggling - throwing inaccurately and making poor decisions -, his style of play is reminiscent of Boller." Allen is firmly in play to be selected at No.1 overall by the Browns. He has solidified his elite draft stock by checking all the boxes throughout the draft process including most recently scoring a 37 on the Wonderlic test.

Source: Walter Football

Apr 8 - 12:38 PM

Former NFL QB Dan Orlovsky identified potential fatal flaws in Wyoming QB Josh Allen's game, including a failure to react to simple blitzes.

After outlining a play where Allen did not recognize an open hot route because of a weakside blitz, Orlovsky questions "What were you thinking? What was going on? And that shows up way too much for me. And again, that stuff is not fixable." Be sure to read the entire section of Peter King's column, as Orlovsky shines a light on Allen's evaluation that goes beyond completion percentage and wins. "If you can't do the little things, you can't do the big things," is the line that stuck out to us.

Source: The MMQB 

Apr 9 - 11:37 AM

Oh, if Dan Orlovsky assesses flaws he must be bad. 

I get that sometimes the best coaches and evaluators weren't great players but when did DO become an expert?

I get that sometimes the best coaches and evaluators weren't great players but when did DO become an expert?
He had an 11 year career with 5 teams. I doubt they’ve been keeping him around because he’s a dummy that throws far.

That's fair, but no team actually kept him around longer than 2 years. 
I think it goes without saying that he wasn’t a good QB, lol. That hasn’t stopped a lot of guys from having long careers holding a clipboard.

If only Dan Orlovsky had a Dan Orlovsky to point out his flaws. 

Humor appreciated.  But there are pleny of QBs out there who are experts on the whiteboard, can break it all down on the field, but just can't do it at game speed.  These guys are terrible players, but can easily turn around and make great analysts, evaluators and (somtimes) coaches.

Just like the best playes ofen have trouble coaching because so much is instinct that they don't have to think about it as they do it, so can't as easily explain it back to someone...

I think it goes without saying that he wasn’t a good QB, lol. That hasn’t stopped a lot of guys from having long careers holding a clipboard.
Absolutely. And I wasn't really being insulting when I asked when did he become an expert. For all I know he could be the next great coach. His career looks a lot like Doug pederson.

Humor appreciated.  But there are pleny of QBs out there who are experts on the whiteboard, can break it all down on the field, but just can't do it at game speed.  These guys are terrible players, but can easily turn around and make great analysts, evaluators and (somtimes) coaches.

Just like the best playes ofen have trouble coaching because so much is instinct that they don't have to think about it as they do it, so can't as easily explain it back to someone...
Yep.  

In all seriousness, he seemed like a decent guy. Just not someone whose name carries a lot of weight right now. Maybe that will change soon.

Running list of NFL commentators heaping praise on Josh Allen:

Chris Simms: Josh Allen “safest” QB in class

Mike Mayock: Just as talented as Wentz also compared him to Marino/Elway

Mel Kiper Jr.: Stats are for losers; the kid won

Charley Casserly: This guy has Carson Wentz talent

Louis Riddick: When I first saw him standing tall in the pocket with those white socks, if you put a 13 on him...

Hey, maybe they’re right... looking at Marino’s senior year I would have been swearing a lot if my team drafted him in this day and age (23 INT’s 2 years in a row, no season over 60% completion). I still don’t think with the volatility of his play he should be in the realm of top 5 in the draft, let alone #1 overall.

Hey, maybe they’re right... looking at Marino’s senior year I would have been swearing a lot if my team drafted him in this day and age (23 INT’s 2 years in a row, no season over 60% completion %). I still don’t think with the volatility of his play he should be in the realm of top 5 in the draft, let alone #1 overall.
Marino was also under 60% for his career in the NFL.

Louis Riddick: When I first saw him standing tall in the pocket with those white socks, if you put a 13 on him...

Hey, maybe they’re right... looking at Marino’s senior year I would have been swearing a lot if my team drafted him in this day and age (23 INT’s 2 years in a row, no season over 60% completion). I still don’t think with the volatility of his play he should be in the realm of top 5 in the draft, let alone #1 overall.
I do like Mayock and Riddick a lot - the rest not so much (well I like Kiper for his overall knowledge on players, not his evaluations).

This at least gives me some hope if my Jets end up with Allen. I'm still hoping that he either goes at No. 1 or they pass at 3 though. 

And they all say the same thing. He has the talent. But many NFL players have the talent, but that doesn't make him successful. How is that talent going to translate to the NFL level? I think he's a bust. The scouts and media get so fascinated with talent that they overlook the most important piece in evaluating a football player: can they play football?

I’ll say the one saving grace for Allen is that he needs time. So if the Browns are the one to bite the bullet they have Tyrod and Stanton in place to say their rookie QB is going to sit all year. The problem with that is, is that it doesn’t happen anymore and it’s inefficient from a team building standpoint with the new cap. If you find a capable QB the most cap room you’ll ever have is during their first 5 years in the league. That’s why you see LA going all in, Philly going all in and Chicago/KC going on a spending spree for offensive assets. 

I find it hysterical when we get all these reports about how good a QB looked at his pro day. It would be very difficult for him not to look good running scripted plays with no defensive pressure on him.
And guys like Mayock do not seem to learn from past mistakes such as having Teddy Bridgewater as his 1st overall QB before the pro day then his 5th QB after his pro day. Yeah mmkay.

Just reading some of the comments supporting Allen in this thread, it seems like folks are willing to give Allen a pass or make excuses for his lack of accuracy but they will not give Lamar Jackson similar treatment even though he is likely more deserving (receivers dropped more of his passes than Allen).

As always seems to come down to being tall and having a rocket arm. Other skills and abilities do not seem to carry much water compared to these two traits.

Marino played in a different era. His junior year he was 8th in college football in completion percentage (at 59.5%), whereas Josh Allen peaked at 87th out of 112 players in completion percentage at 56.3% (min 200 attempts). Then in the NFL Marino was in the top 5 in completion percentage in 3 out of his first 4 seasons (3rd with 64.2%, 4th with 59.3%, 5th with 60.7%).

I find it hysterical when we get all these reports about how good a QB looked at his pro day. It would be very difficult for him not to look good running scripted plays with no defensive pressure on him.
I personally disagree.  I'm no scout, obviously, but I loved seeing the touch and accuracy.  It lends credibility to the notion that his accuracy can be coached up - as he's obviously able to put the ball where he wants to in a controlled environment. It's certainly fair - and I'd argue wise - to heavily weigh his in game performance, which left a lot to be desired.  But in a fantasy land where I'm making the call on this kid, I'm absolutely encouraged by the incredible pro performance.  He's making big strides during the pre-draft process - and that matters to me.

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell...  Allen is firmly in play to be selected at No.1 overall by the Browns. He has solidified his elite draft stock by checking all the boxes throughout the draft process including most recently scoring a 37 on the Wonderlic test.

JOSH ALLEN AT NO. 1? REALLY?

In Peter King’s monstrous Monday Morning Quarterback this week, he cited a FOD (Friend of Dorsey, Browns general manager John Dorsey) who projected the Browns would take Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen with the No. 1 pick.
Fran Duffy‏ @fduffy3

We covered a TON of ground on this week's Journey To The Draft Podcast. @LanceZierlein dropped a knowledge bomb or seven (listen if you're a #Browns fan), @cmaceagles and I debate six players who may be too good to pass up at 32, and a lot more

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/audio/Journey-To-The-Draft-Lance-Zierleins-Draft-Bombs/4fe9f5e5-43a5-4f25-aca1-8634ac2caddf

(Go to the 16:15 mark of this audio to hear what Zierlien has heard about the top pick not what everyone is expecting with Sam Darnold but is Josh Allen for the top pick of the draft)

So Evan Silva and Graham Barfield were posting on twitter that they found out that back in JUCO he had a 49% completion percentage and also never achieved over, I believe, a 55% completion percentage in high school. The point being isn’t that the guy doesn’t have physical tools but that had he went to a big 5 school he would have been a backup. He would be viewed in the same fashion as Cardale Jones (who I actually believe is his closest comp). He has NFL tools but he can not and will not step into an NFL offense and be good. If he succeeds it will be years of work. He is not worthy of a top pick unless you want to work with him on the bench through the majority of his rookie contract. That is not how NFL teams should be constructed with rookie contracts. NFL teams need their QB to develop and be competent quickly to put them in a position to get to the Super Bowl while they can still build a competent defense and being able to afford weapons before the massive QB extention that position gets.

So Evan Silva and Graham Barfield were posting on twitter that they found out that back in JUCO he had a 49% completion percentage and also never achieved over, I believe, a 55% completion percentage in high school. The point being isn’t that the guy doesn’t have physical tools but that had he went to a big 5 school he would have been a backup. He would be viewed in the same fashion as Cardale Jones (who I actually believe is his closest comp). He has NFL tools but he can not and will not step into an NFL offense and be good. If he succeeds it will be years of work. He is not worthy of a top pick unless you want to work with him on the bench through the majority of his rookie contract. That is not how NFL teams should be constructed with rookie contracts. NFL teams need their QB to develop and be competent quickly to put them in a position to get to the Super Bowl while they can still build a competent defense and being able to afford weapons before the massive QB extention that position gets.
I agree with everything you say about having to develop him and how it will be a lengthy process but Cardale Jones isn't a good comparison IMHO.

I won't go into detail other than to say that 12-gauge had a very-troubled background which possibly led to the off-field issues he experinced (again you either know about them or can look them up).  Probably the biggest difference was that he wasn't a leader at Ohio State and that is why Urban Meyer went with T.J. Barrett even though Cardale had incredible physical skills. 

If you heard the latest audible from the other night Cecil Lammey and Sigmond Bloom gave their take on Josh Allen and they mentioned his biggest issue which is accuracy.  They mentioned other QBs taken high in the draft who overcame accuracy issues over time.

It was interesting.  I did not realize that Matt Ryan and Mathew Stafford overcame accuracy issues.  I just assumed they came in with good accuracy.  LINK go to the 25:00 minute mark where they cover Allen.  They also agree with you in that it will take time but they have a different comp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr3sqzI6yL8

Footballguys TV

Streamed live on Apr 12, 2018

Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom, Matt Waldman and Dr. Jene Bramel go over the latest news from around the NFL and NFL draft.

57th of 58 qualifying Juco QBs that season in completion %. LOL

I agree with everything you say about having to develop him and how it will be a lengthy process but Cardale Jones isn't a good comparison IMHO.

I won't go into detail other than to say that 12-gauge had a very-troubled background which possibly led to the off-field issues he experinced (again you either know about them or can look them up).  Probably the biggest difference was that he wasn't a leader at Ohio State and that is why Urban Meyer went with T.J. Barrett even though Cardale had incredible physical skills. 

If you heard the latest audible from the other night Cecil Lammey and Sigmond Bloom gave their take on Josh Allen and they mentioned his biggest issue which is accuracy.  They mentioned other QBs taken high in the draft who overcame accuracy issues over time.

It was interesting.  I did not realize that Matt Ryan and Mathew Stafford overcame accuracy issues.  I just assumed they came in with good accuracy.  LINK go to the 25:00 minute mark where they cover Allen.  They also agree with you in that it will take time but they have a different comp.

Footballguys TV

Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom, Matt Waldman and Dr. Jene Bramel go over the latest news from around the NFL and NFL draft.
If their take is that Allen is close to Ryan or Stafford, I disagree. Not that it matters but I saw most of what Cardale did in college and I’ve watched multiple of Allen’s games. It’s not just the accuracy it’s the decision making. I would say his plus is that when the play breaks down and he’s ad libbing, that’s when he’s at his best. I feel like Cardale was very, very similar and possibly more impressive than Allen when he was on his title run (though I think Allen has more “flash” type plays). Both of them are way above average athletes, cannons and massively struggle with placement and seemed to misunderstand where their safety outlets are. Both can scramble but both didn’t have a great feel for the pocket. I guess my argument is that given the level of his competition and how raw he is, he isn’t Stafford or Ryan. Ryan, for instance, played since he was a freshman and posted two seasons over 60%. Stafford also played since he was a freshman and his last season was over 60% as well. Allen’s completetion went up .3% (56.3%) and his YPA dropped by almost two full yards. Even his most ardent defenders are hard pressed to suggest he didn’t regress his JR year while Stafford progressed all three of his years and Ryan progressed until his SR year where he displayed some regression (but at that point was already clear cut as a top prospect). I’m trying to mature in how I view prospects, after all they and me are human, so it’s not personal how I feel about Allen and I think it’s bad for fantasy and the NFL to having players fail. I just feel like Allen would be better served to not go in the first. Stafford and Ryan were both thrown to the fire. Ryan did well and Stafford was horrid. If Allen goes in the early first he will play next year and I think it will be detrimental to him as he needs to learn how to read defenses on top of adjusting his throw velocity and mechanics. Hey, I could be wrong though. He’s apparently a smart guy so it’s possible he learns the position as he goes. 

Footballguys TV

He stepped in cold and won 3 straight to win a (Meyer's only, so far) National Championship and he beat out Barrett the following Spring.  Meyer went back to Barrett because Ohio State almost lost a couple of his games and the fans in Columbus fry head coaches alive for less than that.  Barret was no better a pass than Jones, he just ran Meyer's offense so much better.

Cardale's off-field was petty stuff - a couple of stupid tweets and comments.  Nowhere near what you're painting him out as.  His problem was experience, and that's why he got drafted so late.  I think Cardale is a really good comp except Allen has a lot more experience.  The difference will be if he can fix his mechanical issues.  Sure, you can look like your footwork is improved in shorts during a scripted performance but hey, ballerinas look good with that much practice all the time.  The question is what he can do when under durress, when muscle memory kicks in and years of (bad) reps take over.  That just takes a ton of time to develop and re-train the body that way.

I can see the Cardale Jones comparison. I like Cardale Jones because if he did ever put it together I think he would be a very good QB.

Allen is likely better than Jones has shown to be in the NFL so far I just don't think he is the best QB in this draft class.

If their take is that Allen is close to Ryan or Stafford, I disagree. Not that it matters but I saw most of what Cardale did in college and I’ve watched multiple of Allen’s games. It’s not just the accuracy it’s the decision making. I would say his plus is that when the play breaks down and he’s ad libbing, that’s when he’s at his best. I feel like Cardale was very, very similar and possibly more impressive than Allen when he was on his title run (though I think Allen has more “flash” type plays). Both of them are way above average athletes, cannons and massively struggle with placement and seemed to misunderstand where their safety outlets are. Both can scramble but both didn’t have a great feel for the pocket. I guess my argument is that given the level of his competition and how raw he is, he isn’t Stafford or Ryan. Ryan, for instance, played since he was a freshman and posted two seasons over 60%. Stafford also played since he was a freshman and his last season was over 60% as well. Allen’s completetion went up .3% (56.3%) and his YPA dropped by almost two full yards. Even his most ardent defenders are hard pressed to suggest he didn’t regress his JR year whole Stafford progressed all three of his years and Ryan progressed until his SR year where he displayed some progression (but at that point was already clear cut as a top prospect). I’m trying to mature in how I view prospects, after all they and me are human, so it’s not personal how I feel about Allen and I think it’s bad for fantasy and the NFL to having players fail. I just feel like Allen would be better served to not go in the first. Stafford and Ryan were both thrown to the fire. Ryan did well and Stafford was horrid. If Allen goes in the early first he will play next year and I think it will be detrimental to him as he needs to learn how to read defenses on top of adjusting his throw velocity and mechanics. Hey, I could be wrong though. He’s apparently a smart guy so it’s possible he learns the position as he goes. 
The decision making added to the accuracy issue because he'd 'double-check' his WRs looking further downfield instead of pulling the trigger sooner which also lead to him being under pressure on 41% of his snaps and it went higher when he faced higher competition and a lot of that was brought upon himself.

Cecil was pointing out QBs taken high in the draft who had overcome accuracy issues and how they needed time.  He wasn't making any direct comps to Allen just pointing out QBs taken high in the draft who overcame accuracy issues.  Cecil noted the Browns had traded for Tyrod and picked up Stanton which would provide time to sit a rookie.  

The Wyoming Cowboys operate a Pro-Set offense and rarely ran screens which would inflate his completion percentage.  They had him rolling and making half-reads and he is very-good making throws on the run where they'd leave a DE uncovered and have Josh beat him and he did a very-good job rolling away from pressure.  

Josh also has an exceptional ability to shake off large defenders to extend the play and can take shots that would put many QBs out of a game.  Cecil and Sigmond said it reminded them of Ben Roethisberger and if you see him in action it is even better than Big Ben.  Sig noted that Big Ben used to try and extend plays because of his big body and it took him awhile to break from that pattern and he noted that the guy who broke Ben of that bad habit was Todd Haley, the guy the Browns hired as their new OC.

I brought up the backgrounds because they are night-and-day.  I'm assuming you know of Josh Allen's background of working on a farm in a small town with his work ethic firmly grounded and that he scored very high on the Wonderlic.  Cardale's background was less disciplined and not grounded.  He was sent to a military academy and he clashed.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/01/08/cardale-jones-ohio-state-military-school

...Jones grew up in Cleveland with so little supervision that he often roamed the streets and slept at friends’ houses many nights each week. The difference in structure, jarring for anyone, hit him like a plunge in a cold tub. He fought. Hard.

...He chafed. He pouted. He hoarded contraband electronics. He got a few stern lectures, and bolted after the first semester, not bothering to keep his uniform as a memento. “We had to wear the uniform to the airport and after we got there, I went into the bathroom and changed all my clothes just threw that s--- in the trash,” Jones said, smiling at the memory during a recent interview. 
I think that teams are intrigued by more than the arm or the brain of Allen.  They like his leadership, the off-field work ethic, and he's a good guy from everything I've seen.  I think they don't see him as he is now but how he can develop.  Teams feel comfortable with him, they truly seem to like him.  I think many would want to work with him just from a physical aspect but from what I've picked up teams just like the kid. 

You and I have nothing personal at stake with Josh Allen but the guys who draft him have to know he's going to work well with the guys who are going to coach him so I would have to think personality comes into play.

I suppose it’s fair to bring up backgrounds of the players. It’s definitely not something I weigh in as a casual observer but I can see NFL teams taking stock in it. @Biabreakable is right to probably assess that Allen is a better prospect and, in the least, will get more of an opportunity than Jones has had. You hit the nail on the head though with why I compare him to Jones: if he puts it together he’s a top level QB. Let’s not forget that Waldman had Jones #1 based on ceiling alone. I haven’t (and probably won’t) purchased the RSP this year but if Waldman hasn’t changed I would assess that he views Allen or Darnold in the same fashion. Using their ceiling as the jumping off point for his evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread