What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (2 Viewers)

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah has Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett as his top-ranked quarterback in this draft class.

Pickett (6'3/220) being at number one isn't a surprise. Considered the safe prospect in this quarterback class, Pickett is a smart, savvy, accurate quarterback that has grown each year at Pitt. What is a little surprising is seeing him with as much distance as he has on the big board. Matt Corral and Malik Willis sit at 34 and 35 (respectively) and most analysts have those players closer together. Pickett's stock ranges fro as high as the top-five to the back end of the first round.

SOURCE: nfl.com

Mar 28, 2022, 9:00 PM ET

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

I trust Derrik on QB scouting about as much as anyone in our circle. This is a bit ominous.

Derrik Klassen@QBKlass

Kenny Pickett by far the most frustrating QB I've seen so far. His process is the least consistent of the bunch. It's not the worst -- he has some real good moments -- but I'm struggling to find clear/strong processing tendencies the way other QBs have.

The Athletic's Ted Nguyen says Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett "is by far the most accurate QB in this class" but says he has another red flag.

Nguyen didn't cite Pickett's (6'3"/220) hand size as a red flag, which has become a common criticism this offseason. Rather, Nguyen points out that Pickett's "skittishness when the pocket gets compressed" is a red flag, in part because of the smaller pockets Pickett will see in the NFL. Known for his mobility, Nguyen further adds that Pickett has a tendency to break from pockets unnecessarily rather than buy himself time at the first sign of pressure. Scouts and analysts have been all over the place with Pickett's draft stock this offseason. While some believe he is the top QB of the class, others struggle to put a first round grade on him.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 2, 2022, 9:03 PM ET

I seriously question what someone could have been watching if they think Pickett is the most accurate QB in this class. I'm not sure he's in the top-3 in accuracy. He's more accurate than Willis, and probably Ridder. Certainly less accurate than Howell, or Strong, and maybe equal with Corral, though Corral was a lot more accurate when he had Elijah Moore in 2020. 

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

I trust Derrik on QB scouting about as much as anyone in our circle. This is a bit ominous.

Derrik Klassen@QBKlass

Kenny Pickett by far the most frustrating QB I've seen so far. His process is the least consistent of the bunch. It's not the worst -- he has some real good moments -- but I'm struggling to find clear/strong processing tendencies the way other QBs have.

I seriously question what someone could have been watching if they think Pickett is the most accurate QB in this class. I'm not sure he's in the top-3 in accuracy. He's more accurate than Willis, and probably Ridder. Certainly less accurate than Howell, or Strong, and maybe equal with Corral, though Corral was a lot more accurate when he had Elijah Moore in 2020. 
If I were to show you a QB's Junior Year and it says 3,000 yds, 37 TD, 23 Int...and then his Senior Year he drops to 2,500 yds passing, 17 TD and the same 23 Interceptions, you would say that person is having issues with strong processing tendencies wouldn't you? It looks easy when you pick apart those stats, right?

Pickett went from 2,400 yds, 13 TD and 9 Int in 2020, then last year he throws for 4,300 yds, 42 TD! and just 7 Int, what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly? I think some folks think too highly of their personal opinions that are being quoted by Bloom. 

Pickett went from about 60% completion to over 67% last year, how is not described any other way than accurate when you factor in the iNterceptions? I'm not berating anyone, just seems like we need to ask questions and get clarity since some of you have a negative opinion about the guy's future, seems a little off base or not rooted in factual data. 

BTW: That guy I used as an example in the first paragraph, you may have heard of him, his name was Dan Marino and I believe he went to Pittsburgh in the early 80s, had quite a career for the Miami Dolphins. 

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett as his top quarterback in this year's draft class. 

This quarterback class is quite different compared to past years, especially at the top. Pickett (6'3/220) is one of many that has a wide spectrum of opinions. The allure of Pickett is being a jack of all trades, master of none. He has a very high floor that would be able to play on day one but the ceiling isn't very high. Brooks believes that he is the best in this class and there is a chance he becomes the first quarterback taken in April's draft.

SOURCE: NFL Podcasts

Apr 7, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

KENNY PICKETT QB, PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

NFL Media's Mike Giardi reports that the Panthers have "talked to numerous teams" about trading back from No. 6 overall.

The Panthers are trying to navigate a tricky spot. They desperately need a quarterback, but lack draft equity outside of that sixth-overall pick. After it, the Panthers aren't scheduled to be on the clock again until No. 137 overall in R4. Could this be an indication that the Panthers like Kenny Pickett but believe they can get him later while accumulating picks to restock the rest of their roster? Pickett was once committed to play for Rhule when Rhule was the coach of Temple. Moving back would almost certainly remove Carolina from the Malik Willis sweepstakes, but Rhule may not care, as he has always played with pocket-passing quarterbacks going back to his college days. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Apr 13, 2022, 5:06 PM ET

This reflects the high stakes gambling nature of the prospect grading and draft strategy that makes this such a fun and intriguing hobby.

The NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions are scheduled to meet with Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett.

Peter Schrager of Good Morning Football noted that Detroit's impending visit with Pickett is the only one they've had with a rookie signal caller thus far. Detroit has been closely tied to Liberty QB Malik Willis, who they spent a week with coaching at the Reese's Senior Bowl. The Lions may not feel pressured to meet with too many quarterbacks if they've already decided who they want to take with the second overall pick, and have already seen plenty of Willis.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 15, 2022, 1:58 PM ET

Jeff Duncan of NOLA.com believes Kenny Pickett could be New Orleans' "guy" in the first round.

Duncan lays out a series of characteristics and qualities that assistant GM Jeff Ireland, who helps run the draft room, has said that he's looking for a in quarterback prospect in previous interviews and Pickett checks most of those boxes. Was he a multi-year starter? Did he complete 60% or better of his passes? Was he 2-for-1 on touchdown-to-interception ratio? Duncan also notes that Ireland drafted Ryan Tannehill in Miami and he's been drawn to tall quarterbacks in Power Five programs. It's a compelling argument, particularly if what you read into New Orleans' trade-up earlier in the month is that they believe Pickett will be there at 16. 

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: NOLA.com

Apr 17, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

Detroit 32-34 and Seattle 40-41, if Pickett is on the board when these two teams select in the 2nd Rd, my feelings are this is where they pull the trigger. Actually the Lions could likely trust Jax to NOT take a QB at 33 so they could forego a 1st Rd-5 yr commitment and they are only on the hook for a 4 year deal at #34. Someone could swoop in at #33 and make Jax a big offer so Detroit would also be wise if they do like Pickett to just go ahead and lock him up at 32. 

Again, I stress that a lot can happen and the longer the QBs slide assuming Malik Willis is taken somewhere along the way, but if guys like Pickett start falling into the end of the 1st/early 2nd you could see a feeding frenzy start on several QBs once we leave the Top 32 area, things change a lot at that point. 

-And think about this, Tua for Miami is in Year 3 and he is close to $10M this year, he's not dirt cheap but you draft a QB in the 2nd Rd, you are only paying that guy maybe $1M-$2M per year and you have a guaranteed 4 years, 3 minimum to build the team around them so they can't hardly fail although you can see how far that strategy takes you. It's worked out for a couple teams and Seattle did it once with a 3rd Rd QB, I believe Carroll thinks he can repeat his previous work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit 32-34 and Seattle 40-41, if Pickett is on the board when these two teams select in the 2nd Rd, my feelings are this is where they pull the trigger. Actually the Lions could likely trust Jax to NOT take a QB at 33 so they could forego a 1st Rd-5 yr commitment and they are only on the hook for a 4 year deal at #34. Someone could swoop in at #33 and make Jax a big offer so Detroit would also be wise if they do like Pickett to just go ahead and lock him up at 32. 

Again, I stress that a lot can happen and the longer the QBs slide assuming Malik Willis is taken somewhere along the way, but if guys like Pickett start falling into the end of the 1st/early 2nd you could see a feeding frenzy start on several QBs once we leave the Top 32 area, things change a lot at that point. 

-And think about this, Tua for Miami is in Year 3 and he is close to $10M this year, he's not dirt cheap but you draft a QB in the 2nd Rd, you are only paying that guy maybe $1M-$2M per year and you have a guaranteed 4 years, 3 minimum to build the team around them so they can't hardly fail although you can see how far that strategy takes you. It's worked out for a couple teams and Seattle did it once with a 3rd Rd QB, I believe Carroll thinks he can repeat his previous work. 
Seattle in round 2 feels like the best combination of need and value to me. 

QB is starting to feel like other than Willis, the remaining guys (Howell, Ridder, Pickett, Corral) with be in a different order by almost every QB needy team. 

Seattle in round 2 feels like the best combination of need and value to me. 

QB is starting to feel like other than Willis, the remaining guys (Howell, Ridder, Pickett, Corral) with be in a different order by almost every QB needy team. 
My best guess...

#9-OT/DL, since they seem so needy along the OL, think they brought Penny back at RB, they had something there at the end of the year, OL, anchor at Tackle will help with what they want to draft in the 2nd Rd. I can also see them pouncing on anything that anchors the DL/Front 7 for Carroll. 

#40-QB, Pick one of the remaining 3-4 after Willis is off the board. 

#41-OT/DL, again I think they have the skill positions in place at WR and RB, just build the OL unless you find something you can't pass on for the other side. 

They also could use some help with their DBs, that's where I see them focusing. 

MMQB's Albert Breer reported that Pitt QB Kenny Pickett will be visiting the Lions on Wednesday.

With Jared Goff as their starting quarterback, the Lions are in need of a long-term solution at the position. They had Malik Willis in for a visit on Tuesday afternoon and they are bringing in Pickett (6'3/220) on the last day teams are allowed to bring players in for a visit. The Lions are doing their due diligence in making sure that they don't leave any stone unturned. Pickett would provide the Lions a stable, consistent player at the position.

SOURCE: Albert Breer

Apr 19, 2022, 11:32 PM ET

The Athletic's NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler ranks Kenny Pickett as the top quarterback on his big board release.

Brugler slotted Pickett (6'3/220) in at 30th overall, which speaks volumes about the much maligned talent level of the quarterbacks in this draft class. He's listed just two slots above Liberty QB Malik Willis and 10 spots ahead of Desmond Ridder. The consensus of industry mock drafts have Pickett going number six to his former HC at Temple, Matt Rhule. However according to most big boards, Pickett's true value is far below that level of draft capital investment. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 20, 2022, 2:03 PM ET

An NFC scout told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero that Kenny Pickett lacks the physical traits to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. 

Pickett's small hands have been a concern for teams throughout the draft evaluation process, sources told Pelissero. Pickett fumbled 38 times in his college career and struggled to throw a wet football at the Senior Bowl in February. "The kid, you love," an NFC scout said. "The production, you love -- but it was really just this year. Physically, I don't see him as an NFL starting passer." The consensus among NFL scouts and front office officials was that Pickett will enter the league near his ceiling, offering little hope for development into a top-end NFL quarterback. With so many QB-hungry franchises picking in the top-ten, Pickett is bound to go early in next week's 2022 draft. He has strong connections to embattled Panthers head coach Matt Rhule, and Carolina continues its never-ending search for a viable long-term QB. 

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Apr 22, 2022, 9:00 AM ET

A panel of 17 NFL scouts voted Pitt QB Kenny Pickett as this year’s top quarterback.

Pickett edged out Liberty’s Malik Willis, with Ole Miss QB Matt Corral finishing third in voting. This doesn’t come as a surprise, as Pickett is the most NFL ready of this year’s quarterbacks. The question with Pickett, who scored a 17 on the Wonderlic and will have the smallest hands of any quarterback in the league next year, is whether he’s more a high-floor game manager than top-half of the league starter. Pickett is expected by many to be the first quarterback drafted, potentially in the top-10 picks.

SOURCE: Bob McGinn on Twitter

Apr 22, 2022, 7:14 PM ET

Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett's hands have come up as a potential problem amongst coaches and scouts according to the Athletic's Bruce Feldman.

Pickett (6'3"/220) seemed to overcome the hand narrative for awhile, with many outlets blaming he media for overhyping an issue that no one cares about. At least two QB coaches do, who when asked what gives them the most hesitation about Pickett mentioned the hand size and the fumbling. The potential of cold-weather games came up both times as well, and Pickett fumbling 38 times at Pitt is not a good sign. One mentioned the severe lack of QBs that have been drafted in the first with small hands. That same coach said if Pickett's hands were an inch bigger he would be a first-rounder no problem because everything about his game is fantastic. Pickett's hand size seems to be a legit concern for NFL teams, but how much of a concern, and where does he end up?

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman on the Athletic

Apr 25, 2022, 3:10 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner, Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett is the first quarterback taken in this year's draft.

The grading of this year's quarterbacks has been all over the place. We've seen mock drafts have as many as three quarterbacks in the top 10 and some with none, Renner is going with the ladder. He believes that Pickett (6'3"/220) is the quarterback that seamlessly fits within Pete Carmichael’s offense as much as any other prospect in this draft. While the Saints re-signed Jameis Winston and brought in Andy Dalton, neither are signed long term and both could be bridges to whoever that draft.

SOURCE: PFF

Apr 27, 2022, 6:33 PM ET

What? The Fifth Year is an option. An option that must be decided before start of Year 4 ( see Dimes, Danny).

This class of questionable starting QB was made for the Fifth Year option. Take advantage of a year to develop them. Sit them Year 1, start them years 2 & 3, then make a decision. 

If anything, I see teams trading INTO the back of round 1 to take a Ridder, Howell or Corral to take advantage of the 5th year option.(Assuming Willis and Pickett are gone in the teens).

JaxBill said:
What? The Fifth Year is an option. An option that must be decided before start of Year 4 ( see Dimes, Danny).

This class of questionable starting QB was made for the Fifth Year option. Take advantage of a year to develop them. Sit them Year 1, start them years 2 & 3, then make a decision. 

If anything, I see teams trading INTO the back of round 1 to take a Ridder, Howell or Corral to take advantage of the 5th year option.(Assuming Willis and Pickett are gone in the teens).
Hey JB, lots of ways to look at it, not sure there is a definitive "do this" but I point to Seattle with Wilson that started all of this about a decade ago where teams who take a QB and can get production out of them on their rookie deal have the ability to load up. 

-the 5th yr option for the Browns isn't going so well. Other teams WANT to try and use a 5th year option and their QBs are balking like Murray in Arizona. 

I understand your take, appreciate your POV, doesn't in any way detract from how I feel about those selections and teams involved in the late 1st/early 2nd. 

-Walker with the 1st tonight, is that true? I do think 1-2-3 can all go Edge/DL. 

Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett's odds for going under pick 15.5 currently sit at +165.

Pickett (6'3/220) has been mocked inside the top-10 in several mocks this offseason, with some projecting him to go as high as the 1.06 to Carolina. It's become less popular to mock quarterbacks in the top-10 in recent weeks, but Pickett would have to get past a handful of QB needy teams, and avoid a team trading up in order to fall outside of the top-15.

SOURCE: PointsBet

Apr 28, 2022, 4:13 PM ET

Steelers selected Pitt QB Kenny Pickett with the No. 20 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Pickett will presumably compete with Mitchell Trubisky this summer for the Steelers' Week 1 starting gig. Either way, Pickett is nearly guaranteed playing time in 2022. During a meteoric 2021 rise, Pickett (6’3/220) completed 67.2% of his passes for 4,319 yards with 42 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He is a safe bet as the most pro-ready quarterback in this class who also has the highest floor. While Pickett doesn’t necessarily have the same type of “it” factor Malik Willis has, he is at least above-average in every aspect of playing the position. He also has some upside given how similar his success as a passer and “sneaky mobility” are to Joe Burrow, who just led his team to a Super Bowl. Hand size has been a steady concern for Pickett, who plays with gloves and struggled during inclement weather at the Senior Bowl, so how he plays in the elements at the next level will be something to watch. Pittsburgh, of course, gets its fair share of nasty fall and winter weather. 

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

Apr 28, 2022, 10:20 PM ET

So do we think they entirely change the offense? Odd fit.

On the flip side if he has a pulse and throws 15yd down field he'll be better than the ghost of Big Ben we saw last year? 

If Pickett is a first rounder..... what's the over/under on the week he starts?

Way too much analysis by “experts”.  Dude is a player.  He isnt Mahomes, but he is going to be a solid qb, can throw deep, can move, is creative and has swagger.  played in a pro offense at Pitt, was heisman finalist and the bama guy that won it was tiny standing next to Ken.    I didnt expect qb at 20, but glad it was KP and not any of the others.   

what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly?
He is slow to process the play.

------------------------------------------------

2022 NFL Draft: Grades for all 32 first-round picks

20. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: QB KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH

Pick Grade: Below Average

There’s some serious concern with how his game is going to translate in the NFL. The Pitt quarterback averaged 3.19 seconds per throw in 2021, tying for the third-slowest mark in the FBS. In fact, it would have been the slowest among NFL quarterbacks this past season. While Pickett is a quality athlete, he’s nowhere near dynamic enough to make his hay on the ground in the professional ranks. Holding onto the ball often welcomes pressure, and Pickett was charged with 34 pressures this past season, tying for the second-most in the FBS. He has to be quicker and more decisive with his decision-making instead of panicking and holding onto the ball.  And speeding up a quarterback’s processing is easier said than done — it’s a significant issue.

---------------------------

There’s some serious concern with how his game is going to translate in the NFL. The Pitt quarterback averaged 3.19 seconds per throw in 2021, tying for the third-slowest mark in the FBS. In fact, it would have been the slowest among NFL quarterbacks this past season. While Pickett is a quality athlete, he’s nowhere near dynamic enough to make his hay on the ground in the professional ranks. Holding onto the ball often welcomes pressure, and Pickett was charged with 34 pressures this past season, tying for the second-most in the FBS. He has to be quicker and more decisive with his decision-making instead of panicking and holding onto the ball.  And speeding up a quarterback’s processing is easier said than done — it’s a significant issue.

Thanks Bracie, want to share what I wrote earlier in case you missed my explanation...

"If I were to show you a QB's Junior Year and it says 3,000 yds, 37 TD, 23 Int...and then his Senior Year he drops to 2,500 yds passing, 17 TD and the same 23 Interceptions, you would say that person is having issues with strong processing tendencies wouldn't you? It looks easy when you pick apart those stats, right?

Pickett went from 2,400 yds, 13 TD and 9 Int in 2020, then last year he throws for 4,300 yds, 42 TD! and just 7 Int, what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly?

Pickett went from about 60% completion to over 67% last year, how is that not described any other way than accurate when you factor in the interceptions? I'm not berating anyone, just seems like we need to ask questions and get clarity since some of you have a negative opinion about the guy's future, seems a little off base or not rooted in factual data. 

BTW: That guy I used as an example in the first paragraph, you may have heard of him, his name was Dan Marino and I believe he went to Pittsburgh in the early 80s, had quite a career for the Miami Dolphins"

-I have a good feeling about Pickett in Pittsburgh, he does't have to start in Week 1. I think it's an incredible franchise that will be patient and not rush him under center right away. 

As a Pitt dad (actually in Pittsburgh now for graduation), couldn’t be happier for Kenny staying home. He may or may not amount to much as an NFL QB, but what a feel good story - and going to be fun to watch and root for him (except when it involves the Jets).

Last edited by a moderator:
4,300 yds, 42 TD! and just 7 Int, what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly?

Pickett went from about 60% completion to over 67
Dwayne Haskins

Posted more impressive stats.

It is difficult to find a franchise QB at the top of a 'typical' NFL draft.  In this century 58.3% of ALL QBs taken in the first round from 2000 to 2018, not just at the top have been considered busts according to PFR approximate value formula.

The league is starved for QBs at least one should go sooner than 20.  The last time the first QB was selected in the NFL as late as 20 was back in the 90s when SF took Jim Dunkenmiller.

Pittsburgh's offensive line is not a great fit for a guy who takes long to get rid of the ball.

A QB that slow to release is related to their ability to process a play and is significant issue.  

We'll see.

I think both these statements can be true:

Kenny Pickett wasn't a great pick at #20. Kenny Pickett is better than Mitch Trubisky.

I think he starts week 1, unless he bombs camp completely. 

BoltBacker said:
So do we think they entirely change the offense? Odd fit.

On the flip side if he has a pulse and throws 15yd down field he'll be better than the ghost of Big Ben we saw last year? 

If Pickett is a first rounder..... what's the over/under on the week he starts?

Matt Canada is actually the person who recruited him to go to Pitt.

Bracie Smathers said:

I'd say Pitt's weak OLine just might have had a little bit to do with those numbers. Pickett had the choice of throwing 25 Big Ben 2-yd. passes every game or running to buy time.

I'd say Pitt's weak OLine just might have had a little bit to do with those numbers. Pickett had the choice of throwing 25 Big Ben 2-yd. passes every game or running to buy time.
Poor pass blocking doesn't help any QB but he brings limitations.

Kenny Pickett Is a Risk NFL Team's Shouldn't Take Early in 2022 NFL Draft

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Good and bad. He creates false pressure for himself way too often. Happy feet in the pocket. Does deliver a strike at least.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Probably my biggest issue with Pickett is he's a 5th-year QB who doesn't see the field well. Gets stuck on a minimal gain when his top WR was always going to have leverage

... his dependence on short routes shows an inability to recognize pre- and post-snap defensive alignments. He loves to extend plays and usually rolls to his right, with 53 of his 66 out-of-pocket attempts in 2021 coming from the right of the pocket. But this crutch can't continue, as NFL defenses will simply roll coverages and bring an extra pass-rusher to the strong side of the field to restrict his greatest strength.

... Once his primary read isn't open, Pickett often panics and runs into pressure or breaks the offensive flow. 

... Asking him to hit tight windows and isolated routes outside the numbers will expose a weaker arm and lack of anticipation.

...  , the only way for Pickett to overcome his inability to reliably throw off-platform is to master his pre-snap reads. However, he struggles to attack downfield windows when his receivers don't outright win their one-on-one route against man coverage

... a virtual non-factor in 3rd-and-long situations. Of his 39 pass attempts on third and fourth down and 10 or more yards, only 18 went beyond the markers. Only 10 of those 18 attempts were catchable. A journeyman such as Teddy Bridgewater has the same limitations and restricts what an offense can achieve in key moments.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

For the bad, and again there's plenty in this game. He struggles to make these tough angled throws. Lacks the natural accuracy to wing this one like top QBs can

... There couldn't be a worse fit in this year's draft for Pickett than Carolina or Pittsburgh considering their poor pass blocking and vertical receiving threats.

Poor pass blocking doesn't help any QB but he brings limitations.

Kenny Pickett Is a Risk NFL Team's Shouldn't Take Early in 2022 NFL Draft

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Good and bad. He creates false pressure for himself way too often. Happy feet in the pocket. Does deliver a strike at least.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Probably my biggest issue with Pickett is he's a 5th-year QB who doesn't see the field well. Gets stuck on a minimal gain when his top WR was always going to have leverage

... his dependence on short routes shows an inability to recognize pre- and post-snap defensive alignments. He loves to extend plays and usually rolls to his right, with 53 of his 66 out-of-pocket attempts in 2021 coming from the right of the pocket. But this crutch can't continue, as NFL defenses will simply roll coverages and bring an extra pass-rusher to the strong side of the field to restrict his greatest strength.

... Once his primary read isn't open, Pickett often panics and runs into pressure or breaks the offensive flow. 

... Asking him to hit tight windows and isolated routes outside the numbers will expose a weaker arm and lack of anticipation.

...  , the only way for Pickett to overcome his inability to reliably throw off-platform is to master his pre-snap reads. However, he struggles to attack downfield windows when his receivers don't outright win their one-on-one route against man coverage

... a virtual non-factor in 3rd-and-long situations. Of his 39 pass attempts on third and fourth down and 10 or more yards, only 18 went beyond the markers. Only 10 of those 18 attempts were catchable. A journeyman such as Teddy Bridgewater has the same limitations and restricts what an offense can achieve in key moments.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

For the bad, and again there's plenty in this game. He struggles to make these tough angled throws. Lacks the natural accuracy to wing this one like top QBs can

... There couldn't be a worse fit in this year's draft for Pickett than Carolina or Pittsburgh considering their poor pass blocking and vertical receiving threats.
Or, he reads his progressions quickly, has a high level pre-snap identification and is willing to push the ball downfield without being intercepted

Above the neck, Pickett routinely shows his ability to work quickly through his progressions in Pitt's spread system. There are flashes of really high level pre-snap identification where he's able to select where to go with the football quickly upon hitting the top of his drop. 

Pickett's also a good decision maker overall who showed a willingness to push the ball down the field more in 2021 but it didn't lead to an uptick in turnover worthy throws. You rarely get the feeling that he's fooled by a defensive coverage, only throwing seven interceptions last season in 497 pass attempts. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/allsteelers-plus/pittsburgh-steelers-getting-kenny-pickett

He is a terrific vertical passer that can work off-script and make things happen with his legs. He has terrific command and confidence running the offense and does a wonderful job of blending an aggressive mentality with consistently working his progressions and generally making good decisions with the football. 
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kenny-pickett

Displays incredible patience in the pocket, scans the field, and goes through progressions. Possesses outstanding vision, consistently finds the open wideout, and displays a sense of timing. Looks away from covered targets, naturally looks off the safety, and is always in control of the situation.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kenny-pickett-pitt-qb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

Progressions: One of my favorite components of Pickett’s glow up in 2021 is that it didn’t come with cheap production. Pickett was tasked with being a progression-style passer and he worked them, showcasing good anticipatory skills and the ability to exhaust progressions. His comfort surveying the field and letting it rip is impressive. 

Release: It’s impressive how Pickett marries everything together in terms of his upper and lower half, combined with his decision-making and overall sequencing with his process, which leads to a very consistent release. He has multiple clubs in the bag and knows how to use them. He is efficient. 

Pocket Manipulation: Pickett has good mobility and movement within the pocket and he’s comfortable navigating while keeping his eyes down the field. He isn’t often guilty of leaving a clean pocket and he almost always looks comfortable with how he negotiates the pocket. Perhaps there are some instances of him being too comfortable in the pocket, but he never appears bothered by chaos around him. 
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kenny-pickett

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread