What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (4 Viewers)

Kyler may have played his last down for Arizona.
What?
Right, this idea that the Cards are tanking for Caleb Williams because they traded down in the draft and they dumped Hopkins is so weird.

Frankly, I think Murray is more likely to be starting week 1 (every report is he's ahead of schedule) then he has played his last down for Arizona.
Even if they are tanking for him, how is it possible Murray has played his last down? Is anyone suggesting that they play out the injury and say he's not ready at all the entire season?

A few things, Zona clearly tanking this year, chance Murray ready week 1 seems pretty slim, they're prob gonna start like 1-7 or 2-6 if they're lucky, at that point no reason to bring Murray back. Murray may not want to play at that point as he's essentially going to be a dead man walking for a franchise that doesn't want him anymore. So maybe he "tweaks a hamstring" in his rehab back and then it's week 12 and they're 2-10 and he's not playing at that point. Could see some of those things playing out, but maybe that prediction is a little bold and turns out to be wrong and they play out differently.

Last edited:
A few things, Zona clearly tanking this year, chance Murray ready week 1 seems pretty slim, they're prob gonna start like 1-7 or 2-6 if they're lucky, at that point no reason to bring Murray back. Murray may not want to play at that point as he's essentially going to be a dead man walking for a franchise that doesn't want him anymore. So maybe he "tweaks a hamstring" in his rehab back and then it's week 12 and they're 2-10 and he's not playing at that point. Could see some of those things playing out, but maybe that prediction is a little bold and turns out to be wrong and they play out differently.
How are they clearly tanking? They released a guy with a huge cap number that didn't wanna be there. I haven't heard anything to suggest the franchise wants Kyler gone, he was a big reason Gannon took the job. It'd be hard to tank anyway, as they share a division with the Rams who likely have the worst defense in the NFL, and an offense entirely comprised on Stafford/Kupp, and who knows how healthy Stafford is?

Where are you getting the idea Kyler will be out for like 8 games? Every report is he's well ahead of schedule. Week 1 is very much on the table. I think the Dobbins timeline threw off ACL recovery timeframes. Burrow was ready week 1 and got hurt a month earlier than Murray in 2020. I think Murray is playing in September, and maybe just doesn't take off as much early in the season.

What incentive would Murray have to sit out? He needs to prove himself a lot, coming off a down year, but one that could be blamed heavily on Kingsbury. I would think Murray would be wanting to prove that he's been held back/misused all along as he's occasionally claimed.

How are they clearly tanking? They released a guy with a huge cap number that didn't wanna be there. I haven't heard anything to suggest the franchise wants Kyler gone, he was a big reason Gannon took the job. It'd be hard to tank anyway, as they share a division with the Rams who likely have the worst defense in the NFL, and an offense entirely comprised on Stafford/Kupp, and who knows how healthy Stafford is?

Where are you getting the idea Kyler will be out for like 8 games? Every report is he's well ahead of schedule. Week 1 is very much on the table. I think the Dobbins timeline threw off ACL recovery timeframes. Burrow was ready week 1 and got hurt a month earlier than Murray in 2020. I think Murray is playing in September, and maybe just doesn't take off as much early in the season.

What incentive would Murray have to sit out? He needs to prove himself a lot, coming off a down year, but one that could be blamed heavily on Kingsbury. I would think Murray would be wanting to prove that he's been held back/misused all along as he's occasionally claimed.
I agree with all of this. There is a buy low window right now it seems.

Surgery was Jan 3, if they roll out Murray week 1 (a mobile QB no less) after 8 months they should be sued for malpractice.

Surgery was Jan 3, if they roll out Murray week 1 (a mobile QB no less) after 8 months they should be sued for malpractice.
Average RTP is 6-8 months. Its usually a full year before a player is back to normal, but its not like week 1 is unrealistic to be on the field and be a hell of a lot better than Colt McCoy.

Again, the difference between 2021 Burrow and 2023 Murray is 4 weeks (Dec 5th) and Burrow was never in doubt for week 1.

I agree with all of this. There is a buy low window right now it seems.
I'd still rather have Murray than Young/Stroud as a fantasy QB. If someone is willing to take a 2nd round rookie pick, I'd be all over trying to deal for Murray. I'd probably go as high as 1.11.

Murray was QB6 last year in the games without Hopkins. It was ugly at times, but so was everything Kingsbury related.

There is zero chance Kyler plays week 1. Zero. There is a very decent chance he sits the whole season. The entire world knows that the Cards are tanking. They could very well have 2 top 5 picks next year since they hold Houston’s first. And Murray is not coming back to play for a 1-8 team.
Vegas has their win total at 4.5. I’ll probably take the under.

Kyler's situation is pretty interesting, obviously more for SFLEX.

1) I doubt he's ready by Week 1. But Week 7? That's 10/22. And even if he comes off PUP and they don't start him right away, I certainly think it's feasible that he's playing by November.

2) There is incentive for the Cardinals to play him. Namely, showcasing his health and ability for trade scenarios should that be an option.

3) Players out for the first part of the season IMO get disproportionatley dinged during draft/auction season.

4) In a season in which the HC/QB was disintegrating and Murray was criticized for his fall in play, he was still on pace for a 4000 yard passing season/800 yard rushing season and 29 TD's.

5) If FF has taught us anything, it's that winning NFL games means little for FF relevance.

6) The Cardinals are bad. REAL bad. So the ball is going to be in his hands ALOT when he comes back.

He'll go for 20% what he would normally go for in auction and likely drops more than a few rounds. He's an intriguing name to keep your eye on.

Kyler's situation is pretty interesting, obviously more for SFLEX.

1) I doubt he's ready by Week 1. But Week 7? That's 10/22. And even if he comes off PUP and they don't start him right away, I certainly think it's feasible that he's playing by November.

2) There is incentive for the Cardinals to play him. Namely, showcasing his health and ability for trade scenarios should that be an option.

3) Players out for the first part of the season IMO get disproportionatley dinged during draft/auction season.

4) In a season in which the HC/QB was disintegrating and Murray was criticized for his fall in play, he was still on pace for a 4000 yard passing season/800 yard rushing season and 29 TD's.

5) If FF has taught us anything, it's that winning NFL games means little for FF relevance.

6) The Cardinals are bad. REAL bad. So the ball is going to be in his hands ALOT when he comes back.

He'll go for 20% what he would normally go for in auction and likely drops more than a few rounds. He's an intriguing name to keep your eye on.
I'm not ruling out week 1, but even if he's not, I think this idea that he'll sit out the season is silly. I would certainly bet he doesn't get PUP'd, and is playing by week 5 at the latest.

Your 4th point is exactly what I am thinking about more than anything else with Murray. In a season where everything went wrong, he was still a better per game QB than guys like Trevor Lawrence, Geno Smith, Kirk Cousins, or Tua Tagovailoa. He was QB7 on a PPG basis and got hurt when he was peaking as he had finally gotten Hopkins/Hollywood on the field together.

I've got Murray as QB19 right now, with the week 5 expectation. If the news turns positive, I think top-15 is very fair. I think Kingsbury was a much bigger problem than anything else. He was the worst HC this side of Hackett last year.

I still contend there’s a better chance he sits the entire season than he plays week 1. This team will be so bad, it will pretty silly to bring him back when they are 1-6 or 2-7. Let him rest, get healthy for 2024, and get a high draft pick.

Ceiling outcome for him in dynasty is he plays his butt off. New coaching staff buys in and they draft MHJ. Dude needs a taller wr and why not an elite elite guy.

I still contend there’s a better chance he sits the entire season than he plays week 1. This team will be so bad, it will pretty silly to bring him back when they are 1-6 or 2-7. Let him rest, get healthy for 2024, and get a high draft pick.
and presumably use that pick on a QB to replace Murray.
I'm not sure how I understand someone saying Murray was better on a PPG - i.e. games played basis - than Lawrence. I'm not sure that person watched the final 8 weeks of the season and the playoffs of which Murray was no part of , but Lawrence is everything we expected when pundits said he was the next Peyton Manning, a can't miss prospect.
Murray can't play at this level , he's a glorified Tim Couch or Baker Mayfield type of highly regarded draftee who only led to massive disappointment in the NFL. wouldn't surprise me to see Murray in the usfl or Xfl next season. You can put a bow on it, call it what you want. Rosie colored glasses saying he plays his butt off in 2023 is fools gold.lipstick on a pig. this kid is toast. he won't start more than 7 games this is ridiculous to think he's anything more than chum at this point.

and presumably use that pick on a QB to replace Murray.
I'm not sure how I understand someone saying Murray was better on a PPG - i.e. games played basis - than Lawrence. I'm not sure that person watched the final 8 weeks of the season and the playoffs of which Murray was no part of , but Lawrence is everything we expected when pundits said he was the next Peyton Manning, a can't miss prospect.
Murray can't play at this level , he's a glorified Tim Couch or Baker Mayfield type of highly regarded draftee who only led to massive disappointment in the NFL. wouldn't surprise me to see Murray in the usfl or Xfl next season. You can put a bow on it, call it what you want. Rosie colored glasses saying he plays his butt off in 2023 is fools gold.lipstick on a pig. this kid is toast. he won't start more than 7 games this is ridiculous to think he's anything more than chum at this point.
I agree for the most part - maybe not the USFL/XFL thing, but the general idea of him being in over his head and just not right for the NFL I can get behind.

I hate to speak in absolutes, but this is ridiculous. USFL or XFL is just silly talk.

Murray is a 25 year old QB who has played 4 seasons in the NFL. He has won rookie of the year or gone to the pro bowl in 3 of them. His completion % and passer rating are both quality starter levels, and that's before we even bring up his rushing ability where he is close to 6 YPC, and averages roughly 550 yards per season.

At worst, he's a top-20 NFL QB. More likely he's top-12, and last year is an outlier. Kyler Murray is the best QB in the NFC West, especially with Stafford coming off a much more worrisome injury than Murray is.

Just traded Bryce Young for Kyler Murray in a Superflex league. I have 2 starters (Fields, Lawrence) ahead of him so don't need him necessarily this year.

Murray is the perfect rebuild quarterback target; likely missing the beginning of the season, probably starting slow, ARI not looking great, and (based on this thread) people think he's garbage. Buy him now at a greatly reduced price and plan for 2024.

They/ll put up with you if you're a little weird AND you're really good, I mean really really good
Doesn't seem like very many people who play with Kyler Murray actually enjoy playing with him.

BUST!
Arizona has blown 2 early 1st Rd picks now on QB
Both Murray and Rosen

Last edited:
The Sooners were so good for 6,7 years. They didn't necessarily win championships but they beat a lot of people's favorite teams and whew did that upset them.
People are chomping at the bit to jump on Murray or Baker. If Hurts ever has a bad game they'll be all over it.
It's so irrational and yet so fun.

Murray was rocking and they were like 8-1 or 10-2 or I don't remember what it was.

After you get your knee surgery and are doing PT, your knee swells. It hurts. It's more susceptible to reinjury. The next day or two days later the swelling is down and you're golden so you work out again. It swells again. This time it only takes one day for the swelling to subside then less n less n less.

He is not playing week one. He just doesn't know that process has to play out. It'll make a liar out of anyone and all of us that had knee surgery know this.

It's good he thinks he will, definitely is, but he can't play til that swelling dance is over

They/ll put up with you if you're a little weird AND you're really good, I mean really really good
Doesn't seem like very many people who play with Kyler Murray actually enjoy playing with him.

BUST!
Arizona has blown 2 early 1st Rd picks now on QB now
Both Murray and Rosen
Its pretty crazy to call Kyler Murray a bust. Like, yeah in retrospect, Arizona would have probably liked to have taken Nick Bosa at #1 instead, but Murray is pretty clearly one of the best players from that class overall. He's been a solid starting QB, not a true elite QB sure, but he's been a top-12 QB (NFL and fantasy) for the majority of his career, despite a terrible HC. Kyler is the least of the Cards problems.

BUST!
Both Murray and Rosen
Its pretty crazy to call Kyler Murray a bust. Like, yeah in retrospect, Arizona would have probably liked to have taken Nick Bosa at #1 instead, but Murray is pretty clearly one of the best players from that class overall. He's been a solid starting QB, not a true elite QB sure, but he's been a top-12 QB (NFL and fantasy) for the majority of his career, despite a terrible HC. Kyler is the least of the Cards problems.
Since you used the word "crazy" with very little behind it, there's plenty of people in the National media and also local beat guys, sportscasters who call the games in the booth on Sundays like Joe Rose of the Miami Dolphins who caught Dan Marino's first TD back in '83. Rose openly called Murray a Bust on his show this week if you need a link, many writers share that players have been coming forward and expressing a desire to NOT play with Murray, look no further than Hopkins...I'm sure he was just chasing the benjamins, right? :wink:

If you feel Murray is a good QB or living up to his draft spot, it certainly isn't shared by most of the people I hear in sports broadcasting right now.
It kinda sounds "nutty" like peanut butter

You're welcome to cheer for Murray but I don't think you should be so quick to rebuke others who want to post that he's been a bust.
I never brought up anyone else the Cards should have drafted, simply stating they have swung and missed twice in the last 4-5 seasons?
And that's "crazy?"

The only reason you and others think Murray is a good starting QB is because you play FF, he's nothing close to a franchise QB in the NFL.
And that's not just an MoPinion
Cheers!

BUST!
Both Murray and Rosen
Since you used the word "crazy" with very little behind it, there's plenty of people in the National media and also local beat guys, sportscasters who call the games in the booth on Sundays like Joe Rose of the Miami Dolphins who caught Dan Marino's first TD back in '83. Rose openly called Murray a Bust on his show this week if you need a link, many writers share that players have been coming forward and expressing a desire to NOT play with Murray, look no further than Hopkins...I'm sure he was just chasing the benjamins, right? :wink:

If you feel Murray is a good QB or living up to his draft spot, it certainly isn't shared by most of the people I hear in sports broadcasting right now.

You're welcome to cheer for Murray but I don't think you should be so quick to rebuke others who want to post that he's been a bust.
I never brought up anyone else the Cards should have drafted, simply stating they have swung and missed twice in the last 4-5 seasons?
And that's "crazy?"

The only reason you and others think Murray is a good starting QB is because you play FF, he's nothing close to a franchise QB in the NFL.
Cheers!
I hate the idea that a guy is a bust because he isn't the best player in his draft class, or best in his division. Its a word I think is thrown around entirely too often, and in the case of Murray is absolutely a crazy take. A bust is Josh Rosen, or Dwayne Haskins, or Paxton Lynch, or Johnny Manziel to name a few. Kyler Murray was an ascendent pro bowl player until last season. Is Murray a top-5 QB? No, obviously he isn't. But there is a monumental difference between what a guy like Murray is, and a bust. If not, then by that logic more than half the starting QBs in the NFL suck, I guess. I'm not a fan of that Ricky Bobby logic.

I would 100% disagree with the bolded. Yes, he's absolutely coming off a down season. Nobody is arguing that he isn't. But he was very good in 2020 and 2021, not just from a fantasy standpoint, but an NFL one as well. Easily top-10 in the NFL, borderline top-5. Murray had a passer rating over 100 in 2021, despite Hopkins missing close to half the season. In 2020 he was middle of the pack, with basically the same passing stats as Matthew Stafford, but was also an elite rusher, in the top-20 in the NFL in rushing yards (not QBs, overall) with better efficiency than anyone.

Haven't really kept up with anything Hopkins may have said about Murray, but his departure had nothing to do with the QB, and everyone to do with his age and salary, and the NFL spoke with their checkbooks on that one, as he took about a 50% paycut.

BUST!
Both Murray and Rosen

And that's "crazy?"

Cheers!
I hate the idea that a guy is a bust because he isn't the best player in his draft class, or best in his division. Its a word I think is thrown around entirely too often, and in the case of Murray is absolutely a crazy take. A bust is Josh Rosen, or Dwayne Haskins, or Paxton Lynch, or Johnny Manziel to name a few. Kyler Murray was an ascendent pro bowl player until last season. Is Murray a top-5 QB? No, obviously he isn't. But there is a monumental difference between what a guy like Murray is, and a bust. If not, then by that logic more than half the starting QBs in the NFL suck, I guess. I'm not a fan of that Ricky Bobby logic.

I would 100% disagree with the bolded. Yes, he's absolutely coming off a down season. Nobody is arguing that he isn't. But he was very good in 2020 and 2021, not just from a fantasy standpoint, but an NFL one as well. Easily top-10 in the NFL, borderline top-5. Murray had a passer rating over 100 in 2021, despite Hopkins missing close to half the season. In 2020 he was middle of the pack, with basically the same passing stats as Matthew Stafford, but was also an elite rusher, in the top-20 in the NFL in rushing yards (not QBs, overall) with better efficiency than anyone.

Haven't really kept up with anything Hopkins may have said about Murray, but his departure had nothing to do with the QB, and everyone to do with his age and salary, and the NFL spoke with their checkbooks on that one, as he took about a 50% paycut.
Appreciate the reply
I understand your POV a little different
Thanks!

Kyler Murray (ACL, PUP) remains without a timetable for a return.

Murray did leave open the door for a Week 1 return, but also said “I’ve never dealt with this before.” He was not exactly exuding confidence about a quick turnaround. At least as of late July, Murray is looking like a strong bet to begin the year on reserve/PUP and miss the first four games of the season.

Bumping for updates.

With Murray's highly depressed ADP, he's been a tempting QB2 : QB3 in best ball or redraft leagues with IR slots

Wondering what others thoughts have been for return timetable, and production once back

Bumping for updates.

With Murray's highly depressed ADP, he's been a tempting QB2 : QB3 in best ball or redraft leagues with IR slots

Wondering what others thoughts have been for return timetable, and production once back
In here wondering the same thing. ACL injury will certainly slow him up this year, and maybe Arizona doesn't risk him coming back too soon. I'm betting they are going to play the "We want the #1 pick in 2024 Draft sweepstakes and Murray could help screw that up.

Bumping for updates.

Grabbed him in the last round of our 14 teamer last night. Will stash him for the first few weeks and hopefully get some clarity on when/if he is coming back.

Bumping for updates.

Grabbed him in the last round of our 14 teamer last night. Will stash him for the first few weeks and hopefully get some clarity on when/if he is coming back.
got him dirt cheap in a keeper league.

same as everyone above, picked him up cheap in a keeper league hoping for a strong return at some point. per CBS eligible to return to practice week 5. fwiw i wouldn't even pay attention to him this year if i was in a redraft league, that team's scoring prospects don't look great. will reevaluate week 6 or 7 whenever he gets back on the field.

NBC’s Mike Florio reports the Cardinals would owe QB Kyler Murray $37 million in 2024 and $29 million in 2025 in injury guarantees if he can’t pass a physical before March.
Murray also has another $26 million in 2026 injury guarantees. The money could factor into how quickly Murray returns from the PUP list and/or lead to Murray sitting out 2023. The Raiders benched QB Derek Carr for Jarrett Stidham late in 2022 to avoid injury guarantees and Murray, who wasn’t drafted by the new coaching staff, could find himself in a similar spot.

Not really expecting him to play this year, it's certainly possible but leaning towards it not happening. Next year he'll have a new team, where that is will impact his value, could be worth a shot in dynasty at right price I suppose.

I inherited him on two (!!) orphans. 1qb leagues. Having only rostered him for a few months, I’m not sure what it would take. He was breaking fantasy football for half a season. The upside of the overall qb1 (yes I know it’s been a minute) seems like a silly thing to sell low on. Still blows my mind how good az was 19 months ago.

On the other hand, for all the dog doo trade offers I’ve received in those two leagues, not a single run at Kyler in either. Nobody is chomping at the bit to go after him

I eventually faded off this take after grabbing some underdog shares in early/mid August as QB2/QB3

I think Faust's quote (awesome as always) points to a significant issue. I'm now thinking he'll get shut down for reasons not entirely related to his health.

My .02... probably wrong. 😂

NBC’s Mike Florio reports the Cardinals would owe QB Kyler Murray $37 million in 2024 and $29 million in 2025 in injury guarantees if he can’t pass a physical before March.
Murray also has another $26 million in 2026 injury guarantees. The money could factor into how quickly Murray returns from the PUP list and/or lead to Murray sitting out 2023. The Raiders benched QB Derek Carr for Jarrett Stidham late in 2022 to avoid injury guarantees and Murray, who wasn’t drafted by the new coaching staff, could find himself in a similar spot.
The Cards also could use 2023 as a rebuild year, maybe they will lose 15 games and keep Murray off the field rehabbing
They get the #1 pick in 2024, let's assume for a minute.
Caleb from USC seems like it would have teams fighting a lot more than when it was Young or Stroud or ARich...
Aeizona can either draft Caleb and take it slow for a year or two behind Murray or they can just move on and cut a big check to Murray, rookie salary at QB, escalating payroll set to hit almost $290M in 2025, no reason for Arizona to panic.
-2nd, they can trade the #1 for a slew of picks and players if they desire and keep pressing ahead with Murray if they want.
Cards could be very competitive in 2 years if they had the right leadership and ability to admit their mistakes and move on
But this is Bidwell and the Cards, they suck.

Maybe he will come back a couple of weeks after week 4. He posted a video on social media about coming back soon. Doesn't sound like somebody mailing it in this year.

Maybe he will come back a couple of weeks after week 4. He posted a video on social media about coming back soon. Doesn't sound like somebody mailing it in this year.
Amazingly, Arizona is very close to being 2-0 right now. They were leading both Washington and NY in the 4th quarter. Murray is certainly an upgrade from Dobbs, and perhaps a big one.

This is what I'm expecting to happen. The people suggesting the card will keep him out of he's healthy are looking at NFL teams through a lens of fantasy roster management imo.

Kyler has no reason to sit out the entire season - he needs to rehab his status as well as the injury - hes gone from a star to forgotten. This may turn into a Raiders/Carr mess where Kyler wants to play but the Cards dont want to risk guaranteed salary to play him....as a Kyler owner hope Im wrong.

Amazingly, Arizona is very close to being 2-0 right now. They were leading both Washington and NY in the 4th quarter. Murray is certainly an upgrade from Dobbs, and perhaps a big one.
I mean…..are we really sure he’s a big upgrade?

Kyler has no reason to sit out the entire season - he needs to rehab his status as well as the injury - hes gone from a star to forgotten. This may turn into a Raiders/Carr mess where Kyler wants to play but the Cards dont want to risk guaranteed salary to play him....as a Kyler owner hope Im wrong.
I think Arizona has to see that they aren't anywhere near the dumpster fire some thought. With Murray they would probably be 2-0 right now.

Yes, obviously. Kyler Murray was one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL in 20-21. Even in 2022, while he took 2 steps backward, that was likely more KIngsbury related, and even that version was better than Dobbs.

Dobbs is a solid backup, which is fine. Murray is an above average starter, if a little inconsistent.

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread