What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I listened to back-and-forth morning radio chatter on this & one key is that we (at least I) had assumed the Cards were unsure if they wanted to re-sign Kyler….when the opposite could very well have been true from the beginning. When one of the best all time Cards (Peterson) is saying that’s very well the case, it gives the convo a whole new perspective. 

Speaking Thursday, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said there was "zero chance" Kyler Murray would be dealt this offseason. 

Putting on a brave face, Keim also "noted" that quarterback extensions usually happen after free agency and the draft. Although that is true, Murray evidently did not get the memo, and has been offended at the Cards' lack of action. Keim has nevertheless insisted Murray remains the franchise's long-term quarterback, and that having Murray around "makes me a smarter GM." No debate there. Unusually intense, even for a professional athlete, Murray will likely get over his hurt feelings soon and the sides will get down to business. Absent an extension, Murray is under team control for a minimum of two more seasons, and more via the franchise tag. The Cards hold all the cards.

SOURCE: Kent Somers on Twitter 

Apr 21, 2022, 3:25 PM ET

The Cards hold all the cards.
Unless Kyler decides to Netflix and Chill. Who really has any "cards" anymore? It seems to be that  no rules are in effect. It's the Wild Wild West now. Even after it was won.

Now's the time to be an agent. Right now. You can sidle up to any young gun  or stud and say "Nice shooting Tex" how about you come and bounty hunt for us? Shootout at the OK Corral? How about Shootout at he whole NFL? It's gonna be real hard to buy a jersey of your favorite player now because next year they could be playing for a whole 'nother posse.

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio believes "no one" would be willing to "offer major assets" for Kyler Murray and pay Murray like an elite QB. 

Florio said a lack of team willing to sell the farm to acquire Murray this offseason has forced the quarterback to "focus on staying with the Cardinals, and on eventually getting the best offer the Cardinals will make." Cardinals brass -- including general manager Steve Keim and owner Michael Bidwell -- have insisted there's no chance the team will part ways with Murray as he heads into the final year of his rookie contract. The Cardinals have reportedly not made a long-term contract offer to Murray, who has expressed displeasure in the team's unwillingness to commit to him as their long-term answer. Murray on Thursday tweeted that Arizona is his home and he wants to "win Super Bowls with the Cardinals." The Cards will certainly offer a contract extension in the coming weeks (or months). Whether Murray will be happy about that offer is anyone's guess. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Apr 22, 2022, 12:01 PM ET

Can't figure out what to make of this guy.

The on field swings where he looks like a dominant FF QB for stretches and then just drops off.

Then this whole saga with the Cards.  Does he want to be there?  Doesn't he want to be there?  He feels like too much is being placed on his shoulders but he wants a long term contract after 3 years, wiping his SM accounts.

No Hopkins for the first 6 games could mean a lot of running though.  

What's the love/hate level here?

He is small and that's an issue both for playmiking and for injury concerns, but he's only missed 2 games in his career. People are knashing their teeth. I just plug him in every week and he's top 5 or so. Six games in and he'll have Hopkins, Hollywood, Rondale and AJ in a spread the ball around game plan. Few offer a lot more. 

No Hopkins for the first 6 games could mean a lot of running though.  
I agree with the confusion but disagree with the above statement if you believe he’s the one doing a lot of running — he’s been quoted from last off-season saying his days of running a lot were over.

He is small and that's an issue both for playmiking and for injury concerns, but he's only missed 2 games in his career. People are knashing their teeth. I just plug him in every week and he's top 5 or so. Six games in and he'll have Hopkins, Hollywood, Rondale and AJ in a spread the ball around game plan. Few offer a lot more. 
He missed 3 games in 2021, November 7th, 14th, & 21st.

IIRC he tried to play through injury in a one other game - to fairly poor results. Something like 230 0/2 line. 

But he had some great performances in 2021 as well. I think the playoff stinker left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. He might be considered a buy-low (even though he'd still be expensive) 

ESPN's Jeff Darlington reports there's a "very reasonable likelihood" the Cardinals extend Kyler Murray before training camp.

Murray skipped voluntary OTAs over his contract but was present for June minicamp. With offseason drama behind them, there's momentum towards a new deal between the Cardinals and the former No. 1 pick. Murray is coming off his second straight Pro Bowl in 2021 and was on pace for career highs before missing three games in the second half of the year. Murray's extension is likely to surpass the $40 million APY Derek Carr got from the Raiders earlier this offseason.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 15, 2022, 6:23 PM ET

I don't think they want to trade him though because it would make no sense to leak all this "terrible leader" garbage if you are trying to get maximum return in a trade. The only reason you leak that imo is if you are trying to low-ball and KEEP the guy. I wonder why they would want to keep such an awful leader?
How could we have possibly seen this coming?

[Rapoport] The #AZCardinals and two-time Pro Bowl QB Kyler Murray are working to close a monster extension that will make Murray one of the NFL’s highest-paid players, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. After an offseason of drama, Murray could be locked in as AZ’s QB for years to come.

[Rapoport] This deal is slated to lock up Kyler Murray through 2028, source says. So, five new years.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1550151645778116609

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1550152560060907524?s=21&t=g146tl3SScOcxY_v1_hXqA

interesting related comment from Sportrac that is news to me:

Spotrac @spotrac

As NFL contracts grow, the funding rule for guarantees will become a bigger talking point.

NFL owners are required to put every guaranteed dollar on a contract past the current year into escrow.

So for Deshaun Watson, that's $184M, for Kyler Murray, it sounds like $130M.

interesting related comment from Sportrac that is news to me:

Interesting.  Has there ever been a case of a team not being able to pay a player their guaranteed portion because they ran out of money?

I'm not aware of that ever happening and assume it would be common knowledge if it had. It must be something the NFLPA or maybe the league decided on a long time ago.  I can't imagine the Browns actually holding $184m in cash in escrow, plus any other guaranteed amounts. There must be a financial mechanism they use like a letter of credit or bonding mechanism that the Sport trac guy is not aware of or didn't mention.

I'm not aware of that ever happening and assume it would be common knowledge if it had. It must be something the NFLPA or maybe the league decided on a long time ago.  I can't imagine the Browns actually holding $184m in cash in escrow, plus any other guaranteed amounts. There must be a financial mechanism they use like a letter of credit or bonding mechanism that the Sport trac guy is not aware of or didn't mention.
My impression from the past was that they had to put up the cash, but that could be wrong. If they are doing that, I wonder what kind of investment vehicle the escrow is in and if it gains interest, who receives it?

Sure do hope he can carry guys with that cap hit. 

It's a terrible contract IMHO.  Cardinals will not win many playoff, games, if any,  while Kyler is getting paid like this.

I agree.  Michael Lombardi is a self-important gas bag who is usually incorrect, but I do think he's right about Kyler.  He's good when he's healthy and happy, but he's rarely healthy and happy.  He's a whiner on the field, shows up his teammates, and is not a good leader.  

Oof the conditions on his contract:

[Rapoport] Contracts are about give-and-take. One example from Kyler Murray’s $230.5M contract: There is an addendum that requires 4 hours of “independent study” per game week. It was important to the team making a commitment at that level, thus it was important to Murray.

Read the contract, specifically Part 3 from the image attached in the tweet. My favorite part is that it specifically says he can’t be playing video games simultaneously while watching film.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1551661427949174784

[Rapoport] Contracts are about give-and-take. One example from Kyler Murray’s $230.5M contract: There is an addendum that requires 4 hours of “independent study” per game week. It was important to the team making a commitment at that level, thus it was important to Murray.

Read the contract, specifically Part 3 from the image attached in the tweet. My favorite part is that it specifically says he can’t be playing video games simultaneously while watching film.

That’s, interesting.

lot of money for someone who you have to tell do to his homework.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like Murray is benefitting big time from following Rosen.  Cardinals scared to death at possibly going back to that,

This will not end well.  Any QB worth a damn knows that film study is important. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are/both so great because those guys practically lived in front of the screen watching film. It's what professional QBs do. Murray is another Cam Newton who thinks he can live off the talent he was born with, except he isn't as big and tall as Cam, so he will likely flame out much sooner than Cam. 

Strange dude.  Strange team.

I mean...4 hours?  A week?

Who in the Cards front office was like...'you know, if we could get that kid to watch 40 minutes of film a day...we could really do something'?

This will not end well.  Any QB worth a damn knows that film study is important. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are/both so great because those guys practically lived in front of the screen watching film. It's what professional QBs do. Murray is another Cam Newton who thinks he can live off the talent he was born with, except he isn't as big and tall as Cam, so he will likely flame out much sooner than Cam. 
To be fair, Murray is a ton more accurate than Newton ever was. Also has been a much better decision maker to date, and has shown notable improvement year to year. 

Truthfully, throw out Newton's 1 magical MVP season, and Murray has been the better player. Though I think its a flawed comparison anyway, as there aren't very similar styled players at all. 

I do agree, this isn't a thing you'd like to see, but on the flip side, one could look at how good Murray has been while not fully applying himself. If he does that, he could be an annual MVP candidate.

Oof. 
https://twitter.com/sarahkezele/status/1551665576140894208?s=21&t=d5Nlw7ywtJhVsX_sKeQnNg

second post in that Twitter thread. Direct quote. 

also from that article

Murray does not watch much game film. He tends to hold the ball outstretched when he runs, anathema to every coach who has instructed him not to (to which Murray has said, “When they get close, I’ll tuck it”). He is the rare person who didn’t have to adjust his behavior during the pandemic because he preferred hanging out at home anyway. His coach, Kliff Kingsbury, calls him “an introverted cat.” Murray favors the term “low-key.”

Hilarious. Looks even worse for Murray (the same dude who when the Rams threw the kitchen sink at him he melted down and blamed everyone else) ... you want to get the bag, you better at least try to put in the work. That the team has to force him to study the playbook (oh yeah, they can absolutely enforce that) is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread