What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (1 Viewer)

It's incredible how little talent they have at the skill positions. I mean Braxton Berrios got 8 targets?! Josh Malone? My goodness.
This is what happen when the owner brought instability, cycling GM and HC for past 10+ years.  Cleveland Browns would be same if it wasn't for their intentional tanking and hoarding high draft picks.  

Jon Ledyard @LedyardNFLDraft

The Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now, and if they continue on that path and lock in the No. 1 seed, they should and probably will look to trade Sam Darnold.

And the #Steelers should be willing to outbid the competition for him.
https://twitter.com/ledyardnfldraft/status/1308402932921008128?s=21

I have no idea what Darnold can become. But I know he's FAR more promising than Mason Rudolph or (likely) the QB options they will get picking in their typical draft range. Spend a 2nd or 3rd and see what you can do with him.
https://twitter.com/ledyardnfldraft/status/1308403366465335298?s=21

Now, we have a long way to go before the Jets actually lock in the 1 seed, if they continue playing this poorly. But just saying IF it happens, Steelers should be very interested.
https://twitter.com/ledyardnfldraft/status/1308403599500861449?s=21

Strangely, I remain unconvinced. I think the Jets should foist another 2 seasons of Sam Darnold upon  us so we can truly evaluate the pure talent that he is. 🤔

The commissioner should step in at draft time next year and tell the Jets, "No, bad franchise! You don't get to ruin another promising young quarterback. Trevor Lawrence is not yours!"

• Laughing
Reactions: DAG
Andy Dufresne said:
The commissioner should step in at draft time next year and tell the Jets, "No, bad franchise! You don't get to ruin another promising young quarterback. Trevor Lawrence is not yours!"
I like this idea. Maybe the league could put bad teams on a remediation plan. You have to draft a certain number of capable offensive linemen before you can pick a QB. 

If Jets do get #1 pick, Cowboys should trade for Darnold if they are unable to agree with a new contract with Dak Prescott. 

Sam Darnold completed 17-of-29 passes for 168 yards, one touchdown, and three picks in New York's lifeless 36-7 Week 3 loss to Indianapolis.

The Jets are unwatchable right now, Darnold included. The 23-year-old was under duress from kick-off, opening the game with a 44-yard pick-six on the team's first possession only to top himself with a 47-yard pick-six to close the third quarter. He also threw an interception on first-and-goal during New York's only chance to tie the game in the first half. He admittedly had replacement players at receiver with both Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman inactive, but there's no reason to believe the latter two would have helped here. Now 0-3 to start the year, Adam Gase's job is undoubtedly on the line in the Jets' short turnaround against the Broncos on Thursday night.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Darnold completed 23-of-42 passes for 230 scoreless yards in the Jets' 37-28, Week 4 loss to the Broncos. 

If the Jets weren't trying to get Adam Gase fired, it was hard to tell otherwise. Running for his life behind a Mekhi Becton-less offensive line, Darnold was just plain bad as he targeted his "supporting cast" of no-name wide receivers and stone-handed tight ends and running backs. Darnold had no prayer except for when he was finding slot man Jamison Crowder, a player he continues to display excellent chemistry with. Darnold was pulverized for six sacks, one of which appeared in danger of ending his season, but he somehow only missed a few minutes of real time. The lone highlight was Darnold's crazed 46-yard touchdown run after he had been dead-to-rights for a first quarter sack. Darnold has alibis and excuses, but the bottom line is, he has been terrible this season. Tonight was only as "good" as it was for the Jets — a season-high 28 points — because of some questionable penalty calls on the Broncos. There are no reasons for 2020 Jets hope. This is not going to get better, including in Week 5 against the Cardinals. 

Oct 1, 2020, 11:46 PM ET

Sounds overall like sucky game. But at least he somehow got 23.5 points for me as fill in for Reothlessberger. So not shabby for fantasy. But for team football 4 int is brutal. 

I said he'd be a bust, but I genuiely feel for the kid...

And pray he gets traded for his own sake so he can at least have a legit shot to be a QB in this league.

I said he'd be a bust, but I genuiely feel for the kid...

And pray he gets traded for his own sake so he can at least have a legit shot to be a QB in this league.
Darnold has a good arm and mobility but he doesn’t seem to process info fast enough.   The NFL is too much for him with the horrible supporting cast that he has.   With a real team around him he could be adequate.   

Speaking after Thursday's loss to the Broncos, Jets coach Adam Gase said Sam Darnold played through a sprained shoulder. 

Darnold looked no worse for the wear after returning from his scary first half hit, though he probably won't be able to lift his arm tomorrow. If he has a sprain, it would seem to be minor. He has 10 days to get healthy for Week 5. We should get an update on Darnold's status Friday. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Oct 2, 2020, 1:26 AM ET

Two or three times last night I saw him finish his dropback from center with his throwing arm facing the line of scrimmage, i.e. facing the wrong way.

He's been David Carr'd. He's so gun shy it's sad.

Jets coach Adam Gase said Sam Darnold suffered a shoulder sprain in Week 4 against the Broncos.

When asked if Darnold would miss any time, Gase responded that "anything’s on the table right now.” The 23-year-old will have 10 days to recover ahead of New York's Week 5 matchup against the Cardinals. Joe Flacco would inevitably make his first start since Week 8 of last year if Darnold misses time.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Oct 2, 2020, 2:18 PM ET

Boy this kid looks defeated.

I'd ask out before it's too late (perhaps it is already but he's shown the talent is there in the past)

Obviously if he does....gase would get canned immediately. But the organization as a whole is in shambles

Just shocking to me the lack or urgency to get him some help the last few years..

Spending what they did on a RB (esp one that'd just sat out a year) seemed like a bad idea from the get.

The biggest mistake jets made was not dumping as much salary as they could this season and take cap hits now.

Bell should have been jettisoned in the offseason.

the good news for Jets fans is it looks like they hit on both of their top picks the last two years. Williams needs help on the DL but has shown he can be a disruptor. And Becton has been everything as advertised and more. Almost looks effortless.

Get the number one pick, draft Lawrence. Trade Darnold for mid to late pick. Continue to focus on O Line there are some great interior line prospects that will be available round two. Extend Marcus Maye now.

the roster is the worst in the league but with a big salary purge, a lot of early picks, and the possibility of nabbing Lawrence - I can see a short build.

NY Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets are not planning to play Sam Darnold in Week 5 against the Cardinals.

Darnold is reportedly urging the team to let him play but there's sentiment in the organization that such a move would be deemed reckless. Forcing Darnold to sit following a 10-day rest would also allow the 23-year-old more time to heal ahead of Week 6 against the Chargers. If Darnold is held out, veteran Joe Flacco is expected to get the nod under center against Arizona.

SOURCE: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Oct 6, 2020, 9:45 AM ET

Darnold's a tough case. Coming into season, I'd have said 2nd-3rd. But you just can't excuse his play this year (as terrible awful horrible dreadful as Adam Case is). His confidence looks shot.

Trading for him you've got to decide on his option before really getting much a look see. Easy to draw the similar comparison (Gase effect), but could see him having to go the Tannehill route.

Darnold's a tough case. Coming into season, I'd have said 2nd-3rd. But you just can't excuse his play this year (as terrible awful horrible dreadful as Adam Case is). His confidence looks shot.

Trading for him you've got to decide on his option before really getting much a look see. Easy to draw the similar comparison (Gase effect), but could see him having to go the Tannehill route.
I could see him bouncing back, but it is also likely he doesn't. Even if he does, he is not signed long term.

Sam Darnold (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 6.

Darnold said Monday he still "feels pain" in his throwing shoulder. He'll miss his second straight game with an AC joint sprain, leaving Joe Flacco to make another start. The Jets have been cautious with Darnold, but he looks on track for a Week 7 return. 

RELATED: 

Joe Flacco

SOURCE: SNY

Oct 14, 2020, 12:13 PM ET

Sam Darnold (shoulder) was limited in practice Thursday.

Darnold was limited on Wednesday as well. He's trending in the right direction for Week 7 against the Bills. When he returns, Darnold will be running for his life as a fantasy QB3 at least until LT Mekhi Becton (shoulder) returns. Becton was limited on Thursday. The Jets are in Trevor Lawrence contention as the NFL's worst team.

RELATED: 

Mekhi Becton

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter

Oct 22, 2020, 4:42 PM ET

Jets QB Sam Darnold (shoulder) was limited at Friday's practice and is considered questionable for Week 7 against the Bills. 

Jets head coach Adam Gase said he expects Darnold to make his return against Buffalo. Darnold, an OK option in superflex formats, would be a boost for pass catchers like Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Oct 23, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jets QB Sam Darnold (shoulder, questionable) is expected to play in Week 7 against the Bills.

The Jets are also expected to get Mekhi Becton (shoulder) back. Darnold has missed two games with the shoulder injury and returns to a Jets offense missing its top receiver, Jamison Crowder (groin, doubtful). Before injuring his shoulder, Darnold was unable to top 230 yards or one score in any game. He remains a desperation play in Superflex formats and shouldn't come close to a starting lineup in standard leagues.

RELATED: 

Mekhi Becton

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 25, 2020, 8:46 AM ET

Sam Darnold (shoulder) is active for Week 7 against Buffalo.

This was expected despite Darnold only practicing on a limited basis. Darnold's return upgrades the Jets' offense, but he'll be without top receiver Jamison Crowder this week. Darnold was averaging 198 yards with a 3:4 TD/INT ratio before going down in Week 4. 

Oct 25, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

Sam Darnold completed 18-of-30 passes for 133 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Jets' 35-9, Week 8 loss to the Chiefs. 

Darnold added four carries for 21 additional yards, though his last tote was costly, as he appeared to aggravate the injury to his throwing shoulder. He did stay in the game, however, while coach Adam Gase claimed afterward that it was nothing serious. This is the same Gase who let Darnold play more than half a game with the injury in Week 5 before having to hold him out for two weeks, of course. For the second straight Sunday, Darnold generated almost literally zero offense after halftime, with 107 of his yards coming in quarters one and two. Darnold hasn't thrown for a touchdown since Week 3. He gets the Patriots in Week 9 before the Jets' bye. Don't be surprised if Bill Belichick is the latest coach to hold Darnold out of the end zone. 

- Rotoworld

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Sam Darnold's Monday MRI revealed a mere aggravation of his previous shoulder injury, and he will "attempt to manage it and work through it."

It sounds like Darnold will try to play Monday night in Week 9 against New England ahead of the Jets' bye. Darnold has been atrocious since Adam Gase took over the Jets' coaching duties. He needs Gase to be fired if he's ever going to realize whatever potential is left if he hasn't already been ruined. Darnold obviously is well off the fantasy radar.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 2, 2020, 8:36 PM ET

Any hope for him with a change of scenery? I'm assuming a change of coach at the absolute minimum, but if the Jets get the 1.01 I'd assume he'll be cut or traded and not be Trevor's caddy.

He was dropped in my dynasty league; I'm debating a bid on him or Jake Luton as a stash/flyer for 2021 and beyond.
I'm probably the biggest anti-Darnold guy around but if he was dropped and it's superflex, then sure, why not. His draft capital and name value will likely mean he gets a shot with another (poorly run) team at some point. If it's 1QB, no way. Luton has some good attributes, but also parts of his game (especially lack of mobility) that make me think it will be tough to succeed in today's NFL. I'd probably still take Darnold over him (I guess), but more maybe to trade him later to a Darnold believer in your league if something positive happens. 

The thing with Darnold is he's just bad. Period. Everyone gives him the Gase excuse and plenty assume that once he's away from Gase, he'll magically turn into a franchise QB. He won't. He's a marginally better Josh Rosen (which is still bad) - good enough to be an NFL backup, but nothing more. Particularly now, when there are 2-3 awesome QBs coming into the league every year now and not really enough starting spots to go around. 

I'm probably the biggest anti-Darnold guy around but if he was dropped and it's superflex, then sure, why not. His draft capital and name value will likely mean he gets a shot with another (poorly run) team at some point. If it's 1QB, no way. Luton has some good attributes, but also parts of his game (especially lack of mobility) that make me think it will be tough to succeed in today's NFL. I'd probably still take Darnold over him (I guess), but more maybe to trade him later to a Darnold believer in your league if something positive happens. 

The thing with Darnold is he's just bad. Period. Everyone gives him the Gase excuse and plenty assume that once he's away from Gase, he'll magically turn into a franchise QB. He won't. He's a marginally better Josh Rosen (which is still bad) - good enough to be an NFL backup, but nothing more. Particularly now, when there are 2-3 awesome QBs coming into the league every year now and not really enough starting spots to go around. 
Appreciate the comments. It’s a 1qb league but I was looking at him as my 2nd or 3rd at best.

Sam Darnold (shoulder) was sidelined for Thursday's practice.

This would normally point towards Darnold missing Monday night's game against the Patriots, but coach Adam Gase said he feels "pretty good" about Darnold's chances of playing and thinks "it's going to take a lot for him to stay out of this game." All of New York's receivers would need to be downgraded if Joe Flacco returns under center. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 12:38 PM ET

Sam Darnold (shoulder) is "feeling better" and hoping to return following the Jets' Week 10 bye. 

Darnold missed Monday evening's near upset of the Patriots, where Joe Flacco played better than expected, at least until the Jets literally stopped possessing the ball in the fourth quarter. Darnold's aggravation did not seem serious, so it stands to reason he will be ready to go after what would be a two-week absence. The Jets venture to Los Angeles to play the Chargers in Week 11. Even with the Jets' top three receivers finally all healthy at the same time, Darnold will remain little more than a super FLEX punt. 

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Nov 10, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

Sam Darnold (shoulder) won't play in Week 11 against the Chargers.

Coach Adam Gase said Darnold will be on an "interval throwing program" but won't be an option for injured reserve. It's clearly an ominous sign for his outlook moving forward that Darnold can't even attend practice following an extended rest during the team's bye. Darnold himself said "it's a smart decision not to play" since his shoulder has "gotta heal." Joe Flacco, who flashed for 263 yards and three touchdowns prior to New York's bye, will continue to start in the interim.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Nov 16, 2020, 2:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread