What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (3 Viewers)

No one is giving up a 1st for him, come on 🤣
Yeah I don’t see that either. If the jets draft a qb, they wouldn’t want the competition would they? I think they’d be motivated to move him. He could end up with a decent spot once some of the dust settles, there’s bound to be a team that doesn’t get the qb they want and might view darnold as an option. I think there’s a chance he can be a decent qb. I could see someone giving a 2nd plus maybe a conditional future pick in the 4-6 range. 

Im a huge Jet fan and dont see how its possible for Darnold to bring in a 1st rder...if he does Joe Douglas would be GM of the year!  

I could see perhaps a team flipping a late 1st rd pick for the Jets early 3rd rder or something....but thats a max...I think a late 2d is much more realistic  but have a feeling he may be staying put

Last edited by a moderator:
Darnold hasn't show much more than Haskins did, and he was cut. I'm thinking 3rd rounder is BEST CASE Jets could hope for. He just doesn't have ANY body of work to back up that kind of return. 

Exactly - he is in last year of his deal and has looked like hot garbage. Maybe worth a conditional 4th to some team but that is doubtful.

Darnold hasn't show much more than Haskins did, and he was cut. I'm thinking 3rd rounder is BEST CASE Jets could hope for. He just doesn't have ANY body of work to back up that kind of return. 
While Sam has not been good he's shown way more than Haskins....he has shown enough flashes and the NFL saw how Tanny did without Gase to invest a 2d or 3rd rder in the potential.  

While Sam has not been good he's shown way more than Haskins....he has shown enough flashes and the NFL saw how Tanny did without Gase to invest a 2d or 3rd rder in the potential.  
A 2nd if you are Gase or work for the Texans maybe. ;)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports multiple teams have reached out to the Jets about trading for QB Sam Darnold. 

The Jets hold the second pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and are nearly certain to be eying a quarterback, likely Ohio State's Justin Fields or BYU's Zach Wilson. That means that Darnold will have no more value than any other high-end backup passer once day one of the draft concludes. Other teams clearly recognize this and are likely trying to scoop up a project quarterback for pennies on the dollar. Darnold will only be 24 years old a the start of the 2021 season and was set up for failure in New York. His play also expedited the process as he averaged just 6.6 yards per attempt across three seasons. Schefter previously reported that Darnold will cost teams a late first-round pick and there will likely be a team who is willing to gamble on Darnold for that price.  

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 7, 2021, 9:16 AM ET

I just can’t imagine anyone giving up a 1st for him. Seems crazy. So much of his value is seemingly tied up in “the Gase effect” now, and the potential post Gase bump. It’s a risky play as it’s just as likely Darnold just stinks wherever he ends up. It just shows you how historically awful a coach Gase was. Regardless of how much of a bust you look like, the simple fact that Gase coached you gets you a 2nd look.

I'm not sold on Darnold not being good. He was in a really bad and messy situation.  I think he has flashed at times but he was under multiple head coaches, front offices and a pretty nasty "mono" bug that surely was difficult to recover from.
He hasn’t had any favors bestowed on him by the team, but a lot of his mistakes at this point are on him. Joe Flacco moved the offense much better than he did under the same circumstances.

I wouldn’t say there’s no hope for him, and as I’ve said in the Jets thread I could even get on board with drafting Sewell, and a WR and signing a WR like a Allen Robinson and giving Sam one last chance - but if they dump him I’ll surely understand why.

Darnold is not the player a team like the colts need - they need an experienced effective starter. Darnold shows a flash one out of every 50 snaps. 

Darnold is not the player a team like the colts need - they need an experienced effective starter. Darnold shows a flash one out of every 50 snaps. 

To be fair, Darnold has been stuck on the Jets, a terrible franchise with below average players at the skill positions and a crappy offensive coach (who was masquerading as a head coach).  Darnold is still salvageable with the right coach and on a team with actual weapons.  

I tend to agree that the Colts are more in win now mode.....but not a lot of other win now choices out there

I personally think  Pitt or SF would be best landing spots for Sam - let him sit for a yr and regroup.    

To be fair, Darnold has been stuck on the Jets, a terrible franchise with below average players at the skill positions and a crappy offensive coach (who was masquerading as a head coach).  Darnold is still salvageable with the right coach and on a team with actual weapons.  
Disagree - it’s evident he has a tough time reading defenses and does not get rid of ball quick enough. Can he be a backup? No doubt. But backups don’t cost first rounders. Or second rounders.

Chase Stuart has done great analytics work on this and Sam's advanced stats are terrible, regardless of who he has had around him as personnel and as coaches. He just hasn't been good, and his numbers get worse when compared to other similar quarterbacks historically. Guys like Christian Ponder were comparisons being thrown around. That's awful.

He's on the last year of a rookie deal, as the article points out. Best to draft someone and take the low-first round or high-second round draft pick they're talking about. Imagine three first round picks for the Jets. You'd replenish your team right quick with good drafting. And Mel Kiper? Oh, jeez. Who really cares about his draft grades?

rockaction said:
Chase Stuart has done great analytics work on this and Sam's advanced stats are terrible, regardless of who he has had around him as personnel and as coaches. He just hasn't been good, and his numbers get worse when compared to other similar quarterbacks historically. Guys like Christian Ponder were comparisons being thrown around. That's awful.

He's on the last year of a rookie deal, as the article points out. Best to draft someone and take the low-first round or high-second round draft pick they're talking about. Imagine three first round picks for the Jets. You'd replenish your team right quick with good drafting. And Mel Kiper? Oh, jeez. Who really cares about his draft grades?
Sadly I agree....while its true the JEts didnt do Sam any favors with an awful coaching staff and limited weapons...the bottom line is he still made awful rookie decisions in his 3rd season....there are too many reasons to move on....lots of QBs available....#2 overall pick,,,,,but the contract is the worse part...if he was going into yr 3 then Id be more open to rolling the dice....its the last real yr of his rookie deal...no one is giving him the extra yr at $25M...so you are looking at a Tanny situation at best...

Jets in full rebuild and can get the 2d best QB in the draft or trade for a much better QB....plus deal Sam for additional compensation (still dont see how they get a 1st but even a 2d rder would help)....it's time to move on....

I really hope the Colts don't trade for this guy.  I much more prefer Wentz and I have reservations about him too.  I can see the Colts trading up from 21 and can only hope it doesn't cost the farm to do so.  By giving up the farm, I mean that's what it will cost to get Fields or Lance.  Forget about Lawrence and Wilson, because they are going 1 / 2.  I could see them trading up slightly for someone like Mac Jones, who I'm not a huge fan of either, for reasons already posted in other threads.  

Edited to remove reference to Ridder in the 2nd.  He is returning.

I'm a Jets fan and I don't blame you, but Wentz as preferable? I'd check their contracts before deciding upon that. Wentz's is an albatross. Sam can be cut as early as next year.
Wentz has had a great year when Reich was there, Darnold hasn't done anything.  They are both young.  Have you seen the Colts' cap space?  Plus, I could see a deal being worked in a trade where Philly eats some of that contract.

I'm a Jets fan and I don't blame you, but Wentz as preferable? I'd check their contracts before deciding upon that. Wentz's is an albatross. Sam can be cut as early as next year.
It's a tough call because of their respective contracts, as you point out, but Wentz has shown to be the superior player when both were at their best. If I was a true contender like the Colts I don't think I would want to roll the dice on either one. I'd actually look at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick - who has his flaws as well - before giving up assets for Wentz or Darnold,

With that said, I'll gladly take the Colts first for Darnold if they are willing.

It's a tough call because of their respective contracts, as you point out, but Wentz has shown to be the superior player when both were at their best. If I was a true contender like the Colts I don't think I would want to roll the dice on either one. I'd actually look at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick - who has his flaws as well - before giving up assets for Wentz or Darnold,

With that said, I'll gladly take the Colts first for Darnold if they are willing.
I agree with pretty much all of this. If I were in charge, I'd have a tough time parting ways with a one and then some for either Darnold or Wentz and his contract. 

I think the Colts need to quit with the one year band-aid approach if possible.  One could say, "but the Colts are built to win now".  Well, you can't keep on signing one-year QBs while players like Nelson, Leonard, Buckner, and Kelly aren't getting younger each year.  I believe Wentz could be a long term solution on a team like the Colts.  Having Darnold is like that taste you get in your mouth before you brush your teeth in the morning.

I think the Colts need to quit with the one year band-aid approach if possible.  One could say, "but the Colts are built to win now".  Well, you can't keep on signing one-year QBs while players like Nelson, Leonard, Buckner, and Kelly aren't getting younger each year.  I believe Wentz could be a long term solution on a team like the Colts.  Having Darnold is like that taste you get in your mouth before you brush your teeth in the morning.
They could sign Fitz and draft a QB.

Wentz surely has upside and Reich has shown he can work with him, but sometimes guys just get "broken" and stay that way. Giving up a first round pick (plus) and also taking on that contract could be a disaster if Wentz can't be fixed.

They could sign Fitz and draft a QB.

Wentz surely has upside and Reich has shown he can work with him, but sometimes guys just get "broken" and stay that way. Giving up a first round pick (plus) and also taking on that contract could be a disaster if Wentz can't be fixed.
I don't think the Colts should give more than a 1st rd pick for Wentz if they take on his salary as well.  If Philly eats the contract we're probably looking at a lot more than just the #21 overall.

I don't think the Colts should give more than a 1st rd pick for Wentz if they take on his salary as well.  If Philly eats the contract we're probably looking at a lot more than just the #21 overall.
Philly is in complete cap hell - I'm not sure they can eat the contract.

A #1 is way too much for Wentz. Darnold becomes an interesting consideration for the Colts if priced accordingly. I think he's worth the rehab dart because of his contract.

A #1 is way too much for Wentz. Darnold becomes an interesting consideration for the Colts if priced accordingly. I think he's worth the rehab dart because of his contract.
Cool, I would hate for them to give a 1st for Wentiz.  Either way, I still prefer Wentz over Darnold.

I can’t see any universe where Darnold is traded for a 1st round pick. As a Skins fan, these rumors that they might be interested in him are terrifying.

As a prospect in his current form, his biggest selling point is that he could have the “post Gase bump” that many players have experienced. The problem with this thinking is a guy like Tannehill showed a lot more under Gase than Darnold has. When your biggest selling point as a player is your coach was awful, that’s not a great sign. Like if this guy happened to be drafted by a team with just a mediocre coach instead of a historically awful one, would Darnold still be getting serious interest, or would he just be seen as another first round QB bust? I’m guessing it’s the latter.

Like if this guy happened to be drafted by a team with just a mediocre coach instead of a historically awful one, would Darnold still be getting serious interest, or would he just be seen as another first round QB bust? I’m guessing it’s the latter.
He also played for Bowles and wasn't good. Can't forget that.

Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 

RELATED: 

Washington Football Team

SOURCE: SNY.tv 

Feb 19, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

If I'm Washington I don't give up more than a 3rd. At least Wentz proved he COULD play in the NFL at a high level. Why give up a first day pick for someone who has NEVER done that? 

If I'm Washington I don't give up more than a 3rd. At least Wentz proved he COULD play in the NFL at a high level. Why give up a first day pick for someone who has NEVER done that? 
First day pick = 1st round picks.

Second day pick = 2nd & 3rd round picks.

Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold.

Reading those 2 sentences above caused me to have a traumatic flashback to the Bruce years, which aren't too far in the past for me to still feel the multiple gut punches that have left lasting bruises and pain. That, and the fact that even with Bruce gone, The Danny's still the Owner, so there's still no telling what shenanigans might ensue.

A well-told joke always has a great set-up for the punchline. That's exactly how I heard those two sentence above in my head as a I read them. As in: 'Wait for it...' , you know, right?

Please, WFTskins, you're on the right track...stay there.

I'm seriously scarred.

I would love to see Darnold in Pittsburgh. Their late 2nd rounder should get it done
I think thats a good situation for him as well.....also keep in mind the JEts GM did a conditional pick deal with NYG on Leo Williams - I could see a deal where the Jets get a mid rd pick this yr and a conditional in 2022....if Darnold stays, starts a certain amount and/or is re-signed by the team traded to it escalates to a higher pick next yr.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have received "real interest" in Sam Darnold. 

Rapoport said the team would "complete their evaluations of the top QBs in the NFL Draft before making any decisions" on what to do with Darnold. All signs point to the Jets trading Darnold in the coming weeks. The Patriots and Washington have expressed some interest in acquiring Darnold in hopes that Adam Gase did not permanently break the once-promising QB. Rapoport said the Jets are in no hurry to deal Darnold, who could be left in career limbo for at least the next two months. 

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Washington Football Team

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 12:15 PM ET

I think thats a good situation for him as well.....also keep in mind the JEts GM did a conditional pick deal with NYG on Leo Williams - I could see a deal where the Jets get a mid rd pick this yr and a conditional in 2022....if Darnold stays, starts a certain amount and/or is re-signed by the team traded to it escalates to a higher pick next yr.  
Steelers already have Haskins for a reclamation project. Taking on Darnold would be a bit much.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas said he'll answer teams inquiring about trading for Sam Darnold. 

"If calls are made, I will answer them," Douglas said. It's a curious admission from a general manager looking to gain some semblance of leverage in trade talks for a potential franchise QB. Douglas, who said he has "no doubt" Darnold can reach his potential, said he doesn't believe the Jets not knowing who their Week 1 quarterback will be will affect the team during free agency. There are reportedly several teams interested in acquiring Darnold from the Jets, who are widely expected to take a quarterback with the No. 2 pick in this spring's NFL Draft. 

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2021, 12:40 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread