What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (2 Viewers)

Sam's not terrible.
The Niners defense has been less than expected lately.
If that unit gets back to "normal" Sam can get a win.
If Niners are trailing late I fear for them with Sam.
With Samuel out CMC could be in line for a plethora of checkdowns,which he can turn into splash plays.

Darnold might be the best backup QB in the league. Imo

I agree. Darnold has the talent. Sitting and watching might have helped him mature as a QB. Some guys are not ready for a baptism by fire.
Yeah the dropoff here may not be much.

Charvarius Ward on Sam Darnold replacing Brock Purdy: “Ain’t no drop off”

I have always had a soft spot for the guy as we have all seen the glimpses. Still quite young in QB years, hoping the light goes on for him at some point as the physical tools have always been there.

So Shanahan says a few good quotes about him and he's thought of fondly again?
Just ignore his time with the the Jets and Panthers?

This is the darndest thing

So Shanahan says a few good quotes about him and he's thought of fondly again?
Just ignore his time with the the Jets and Panthers?

This is the darndest thing
I don't feel confident saying he's better than Nick Mullens. If I'm Justin Jefferson, I'm demanding a trade right now, or 40+ million a year. In fantasy, he's a big downgrade, and hard to see a path to top-5 WR.

Reactions: Bri
Oh wow. Sam Darnold killed Robbie Chosen Anderson's career with his indecision and airmailing/underthrowing of everything. And Robbie wasn't even really that good, but the cut-ups of him open and Darnold missing him are just gross. Wait until you JJ fans see what he does with JJ.

If I'm Justin Jefferson, I'm demanding a trade right now

Yes. Don't let your career suffer for the fools that let Cousins walk and the awful retread they're bringing in. You get one shot in the NFL and it's way, way too short to let this sort of rank incompetence and awful judgment ruin yours.

JJ, leave. As fast as you can.

Darnold is terrible and there's not much debate to be had about it. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
He's a Viking for what looks like $10m and it makes perfect sense to me.
UGH. Hate it as a Vikings fan. Better trade up for McCarthy now and just let him take over
I'm a Vikes fan, and I don't hate the move. Darnold is still quite young (26) and at 10 million for just one year it's worth the shot to see if he turns into something. If he doesn't, ideally we'll have drafted a QB and/or we'll have a high pick next year to target a QB.

What I'll hate is trading away three future firsts+ to trade into the top 3. I just think it's two much of an overpay when even high first rounder QBs bust a significant percentage of the time.

UGH. Hate it as a Vikings fan. Better trade up for McCarthy now and just let him take over
I'm a Vikes fan, and I don't hate the move. Darnold is still quite young (26) and at 10 million for just one year it's worth the shot to see if he turns into something. If he doesn't, ideally we'll have drafted a QB and/or we'll have a high pick next year to target a QB.

What I'll hate is trading away three future firsts+ to trade into the top 3. I just think it's two much of an overpay when even high first rounder QBs bust a significant percentage of the time.
I agree that I wouldn't overpay to move up but we know what Darnold is. The price tag for him isn't terrible so nothing really lost and I guess they needed somebody at this point but I would rather have them trade for Fields and see if O'Connell can get the most out of him over settling for Darnold.

I agree that I wouldn't overpay to move up but we know what Darnold is. The price tag for him isn't terrible so nothing really lost and I guess they needed somebody at this point but I would rather have them trade for Fields and see if O'Connell can get the most out of him over settling for Darnold.
I still think the bold is a possible play before the draft. Fields' stock/price arguably dropped yesterday. If the Vikings can get him for lesser than what the Bears have been asking, and if the Vikings aren't confident they'll get their guy at 11 and the asking price to move up is too steep, then moving on Fields just before the draft could be a shrewd play.

Darnold at 10 million is a high price for a backup but, oddly, if it helped drive down the price for Fields then the Vikings then arguably that somewhat high price tag may offset itself and now the Vikings have a real starter with upside and probably one of the better backups in the league for significantly less than Cousins' cost or the cost to move into the top three picks of the draft.

LOL. Sure Darnold is a cheap option, be we all know what he is......he's terrible. I am with Gally, why not trade a 2nd rounder for Fields? Much more upside.

I still think the bold is a possible play before the draft. Fields' stock/price arguably dropped yesterday. If the Vikings can get him for lesser than what the Bears have been asking, and if the Vikings aren't confident they'll get their guy at 11 and the asking price to move up is too steep, then moving on Fields just before the draft could be a shrewd play.

Darnold at 10 million is a high price for a backup but, oddly, if it helped drive down the price for Fields then the Vikings then arguably that somewhat high price tag may offset itself and now the Vikings have a real starter with upside and probably one of the better backups in the league for significantly less than Cousins' cost or the cost to move into the top three picks of the draft.
The question would be, what do you do with Fields' 5th year option if you do trade for him? Are you giving him 25MIL for 2025 before he plays a single snap for your team?

The question would be, what do you do with Fields' 5th year option if you do trade for him? Are you giving him 25MIL for 2025 before he plays a single snap for your team?
I probably do. That gives you two years to evaluate in your system with your coaches at not a terrible price. I mean they likely aren't SB contenders in the next two years anyway so the cap hit for that isn't a real issue and is clear after the 5th year if he ends up falling on his face.

Reactions: Zow

Yes.

LOL. Sure Darnold is a cheap option, be we all know what he is......he's terrible. I am with Gally, why not trade a 2nd rounder for Fields? Much more upside.
I'm saying do both instead of cross one's fingers that a McCarthy is there at 1.11 or sell the proverbial farm to trade up for Maye or some such.

Won't ever have to worry about it, they don't want Fields.

Darnold just spent a year in a fairly similar system. I believe, might even be glaringly obvious, bringing in McCown was intentional with regards to Darnold. They don't have to give any trade comp, not even a day three pick. These things were all factors.

Darnold is still very young and highly pedigreed. And yes he's played poorly but I'd argue no one had to deal with worse situations the first few years in the league as he did on those god awful Jets teams and his brief few games in Carolina. Some QB's have to deal with stuff like that a year or two, I'm talking that long of a duration. And I'll say again he played poorly and might be damaged goods but....

He just got a year of probably the best coaching of his life. I'll add this as well. Purdy was coming off a major surgery, had not shown NFL level durabability and the 49'ers have had a lot of QB injuries since Kyle has been at the helm. Against that landscape, after seeing Darnold in camp for about a month, they decided to trade Lance knowing they were a SB contender and a Purdy injury away from turning the team over to Darnold. Some beat writers for the team were going so far as to say Darnold might take the job because he was throwing it more impressivley in camp, which of course was bogus, just an indicator of how he looks.

So IMO I think the Vikings made a prudent decision to go with Darnold and not pursue someone like Fields and I'd bet you all I got Sean Payton felt the same way and was trying to get Darnold. When Kyle, Sean Payton and KOC feel a certain way about QB's I'm not one to think I know more then them and will give them some benefit of the doubt.

So no worry on Fields, that won't be happening but no doubt they'd like to draft a QB and I had heard last week, I think it was Robert Mays from The Athletic, say he heard they preferred the draft and sit QB approach which would tie in specificlaly to Maye or McCarthy if they can get them and I've no doubt that's their plan to pair with Darnold if they can.

I'd argue no one had to deal with worse situations the first few years in the league as he did on those god awful Jets teams and his brief few games in Carolina. Some QB's have to deal with stuff like that a year or two, I'm talking that long of a duration.
Fields has had to deal with a very similar terrible atmosphere/offense/coaching/front office and has shown better than Darnold to this point.

With regards to SF and Darnold, Shanny is of the belief he can turn anybody into a decent QB and his offense is about as QB friendly as it gets. I have no belief that Darnold is anything more than what he has already shown....which is pretty terrible. I would much rather take a chance on Fields (who has at least shown glimpses of being capable) than Darnold. Now the cost was basically nothing to get Darnold but it seems the price on Fields is going down as well. I think it's definitely worth taking a chance at this stage and with what the Vikes currently have.

I'd argue no one had to deal with worse situations the first few years in the league as he did on those god awful Jets teams and his brief few games in Carolina. Some QB's have to deal with stuff like that a year or two, I'm talking that long of a duration.
Fields has had to deal with a very similar terrible atmosphere/offense/coaching/front office and has shown better than Darnold to this point.

With regards to SF and Darnold, Shanny is of the belief he can turn anybody into a decent QB and his offense is about as QB friendly as it gets. I have no belief that Darnold is anything more than what he has already shown....which is pretty terrible. I would much rather take a chance on Fields (who has at least shown glimpses of being capable) than Darnold. Now the cost was basically nothing to get Darnold but it seems the price on Fields is going down as well. I think it's definitely worth taking a chance at this stage and with what the Vikes currently have.
You are welcome to your opinions all day long, I'm trying to tell you and everyone else here they don't match those of people in the NFL.

You are welcome to your opinions all day long, I'm trying to tell you and everyone else here they don't match those of people in the NFL.
And there is no guarantee that any of us (including the NFL guys) are right.

No but I'll put my money on Kyle, KOC and Sean Payton having better odds of being right then us.

No but I'll put my money on Kyle, KOC and Sean Payton having better odds of being right then us.
I have my doubts they are right when it comes to Darnold....and really what are they saying? Both situation were desperate for a body without many other options at their disposal. Saying Darnold was better than Lance isn't saying much. Saying Darnold is better than Dobbs or Mullins isn't saying much. Maybe they are saying Darnold (in the case of the Vikes) can bring them a top 3 draft pick. That I will believe.

I'm saying do both instead of cross one's fingers that a McCarthy is there at 1.11 or sell the proverbial farm to trade up for Maye or some such.
Agree, I would do both, unless MIN REALLY likes McCarthy and they are willing to trade up to ensure they get him. Much rather gamble on Fields at a cheaper price.

Darnold getting 10 million is insane. He's a bad QB, full stop. I don't care what organization vouches for him, if Shanahan likes him, or whatever, he's been horrible, there is no reason to think he's even a good backup. On an A-F scale, he's a D-.

They have to trade up for QB, they can't risk Darnold being their week 1 starter. Just throwing money away. Frankly, I'd argue there are 8 better QBs in the draft, and probably 4 FA QBs (at least among guys who weren't brought in to start) that I'd prefer, and that's without even discussing Fields.

There have been a lot of really questionable (stupid) FA moves so far, but this one is probably taking the cake based on position. Shame because I think the Vikings have been pretty on point otherwise.

Vikings HC Kevin O’Connell said he believes Sam Darnold’s “best football is ahead of him.”
The Vikings inked Darnold to a one-year, $10 million deal this offseason. Currently in line to be the Vikings QB1, Darnold’s season-long outlook will be directly tied to what the Vikings do in the upcoming draft. Currently holding two 2024 first-round picks, the Vikings have been rumored as a heavy favorite to trade up in attempt to land one of the top quarterbacks in this year’s draft, which could put a hard cap on the number of games Darnold starts in 2024. Darnold started only one game for the 49ers last season and threw for 297-2-1 on 46 passes. With an elite group of offensive weapons already in place in Minnesota, Darnold could make for an interesting streaming option for fantasy as long as he is starting games.

this actually the 1st time Sammy will start for a good team, I'm pulling for him. Would love to see them build around him but we know their taking a QB

this actually the 1st time Sammy will start for a good team, I'm pulling for him. Would love to see them build around him but we know their taking a QB
He started for the SB runner up 49ers.

He was god awful.

That’s not completely fair. SF rested a lot of starters that game. No McCafrrey. Very little Deebo/Aiyuk. Not ideal.
I think the overall point is, if Darnold is the Vikings starter, they are finishing in last place in the North. They are probably finishing last with a rookie as well, but at least there is some upside there.

I was discussing this guy in another thread and accidentally typo'd his last name. But upon relooking at the type I think it is completely fitting and believe it should be legally changed.

From now on I will only refer to this guy as "Darnlold"

I was discussing this guy in another thread and accidentally typo'd his last name. But upon relooking at the type I think it is completely fitting and believe it should be legally changed.

I admit I am envious. If I put out a bad product, I'm no longer considered a good sauce maker.

Darnold has turned being bad at his job into an incredibly lucrative proposition. He's right up there with Angel Hernandez at failing up in his career.

I admit I am envious. If I put out a bad product, I'm no longer considered a good sauce maker.

Darnold has turned being bad at his job into an incredibly lucrative proposition. He's right up there with Angel Hernandez at failing up in his career.
Reminds me of Sam Bradford.
According to Spotrac, Bradford made $130,022,863 during his NFL career.

Must be a Sam thing.

Users who are viewing this thread