What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB strategy waiting until everyone else takes a QB, Has anyone else do (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
If you consider the depth at QB would you wait until you had Joe Flacco or Sam Bradford if it meant loading up on talent elsewhere on your team. Have you used this strategy to good success?

I actually missed on Vick by one turn but he was the one I was targeting. The rest of my team looks pretty solid i must say due to the fact I waited. QB will be a carrousel however.

I used this strategy a few days ago and i ended up with Romo. I was the last to take a QB and I'm very happy with the result.
I too used this strategy and wound up with Romo. One thing to consider is the awareness of your opponents as to who and what positions other teams are drafting. The league I drafted Romo in is about 50% FF vets/50% guys who have played a few years but just do it for fun. Overall, I feel waiting and loading up at RB is the best option and I would not draft a QB before the 5th round due to the drop off of talent at RB. You may want to consider going RB,RB,WR,WR and then assess where everyone stands position wise.

I used to almost always do this when I did redrafts, but it would sometimes backfire when you would get some idiot who would take his 2nd QB in the 7th round (which is the mark of someone who really doesn't know that they are doing). But I almost always waited till almost everyone had a QB before I would take mine.

This strategy works best in leagues where the QB is devalued (such as 8 team or 10 team leagues, or leagues with 4 points for TDs).

I do this in most leagues and have for a long time now - I'm a huge proponent of QBBCs; however in a few leagues this year Brady or Stafford slipped much later than they should have and I could no longer pass on them.

This year I've been targetting RG3, Eli or Romo as my QB1 and I won't take one until round 10. I've been targetting Dalton as my QB2, with my next two targets being Roethlisberger then Rivers.

Been avoiding Vick, Palmer, Schaub and Flacco.

I used to almost always do this when I did redrafts, but it would sometimes backfire when you would get some idiot who would take his 2nd QB in the 7th round (which is the mark of someone who really doesn't know that they are doing). But I almost always waited till almost everyone had a QB before I would take mine.
I take a backup QB early all the time, often with great success. If nothing else, you screw over everyone who thought they were so smart because they were waiting, and you can usually trade your backup for something of value midway through the season when they're sick of trotting out Andrew Dalton every week. In several of the staff mocks I was taking Rodgers/Brees in the 3rd and Griffin in the 8th because they simply possessed far too much value. If the season plays out according to my expectations, the move is a major net positive for me. People underestimate just how much VBD a top-3 QB winds up producing, and I'll gladly roster two of them, even if for no other reason than to take one of them out of the pool for my competitors to use against me.

I think people tend to underestimate the value of a top QB. Last year, in leagues that gave 1 point per 20 yards and 4 points per TDs, Drew Brees (QB1) outscored Tony Romo (QB8) by 69 points, which was the same as the difference between Dez Bryant (WR3) and Stevie Johnson (WR20). The difference between Brees (QB1) and Andy Dalton (QB12) was the difference between Jimmy Graham and Graham Garrett. Who is Graham Garrett? That's exactly my point.

In 6 point per TD leagues, the difference between Drew Brees and Matt Stafford (QB10) was greater than the difference between Ray Rice (RB6) and Vick Ballard (RB27). It was the same as the difference between C.J. Spiller (RB7) and Joique Bell (RB29).

I'm not saying I'd draft Brees or Rodgers in the first round, but I'm saying I'd be absolutely thrilled to get them in the mid-2nd on down into the 3rd.

Yes, I did this with both my teams and ended up with Kaepernick and Wilson late. I read an FBG article that said wait until the last team picks a QB, wait a round, and then grab the best available. This gives you another round to find value and still get a good QB. Most people won't take a QB in two consecutive rounds but if you wait too long, some knucklehead will take his second QB too early and leave you with the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 man league ppr got rg3 and Eli. Happy with the trade off vs my other players. Oh and I was the last to draft a qb

I and another guy in my league are notorious for having stare-downs to see who is the last to grab a QB. We are nearly always fighting for the championship as well. This year was no different. 12 teams - 6PTs per QB. I ended grabbing Kaepernick at the 7/8 turn.

It depends who you get. If you can wait and get a low-end QB1 who is part of the same tier as the mid-range QB1s (like RG3, Vick, or Romo) then that can be a nice move. But if you get stuck with someone who could easily turn into a mid-range QB2 (like Flacco, Dalton, or Bradford) then that could be trouble. The gap between the mid-to-low QB1s and the mid-range QB2s is about as big as the gap between the top QB and the mid-to-low QB1s.

Last year the gap between QB10 Matt Stafford (a mid-to-low QB1) and QB18 Philip Rivers (a mid-range QB2) was about 70 pts. That is similar to the gaps (like the ones Adam pointed out) between QB1 (Brees) and QB8 (Romo), or between WR3 (Dez Bryant) and WR20 (Stevie Johnson), or between RB6 (Ray Rice) and RB18 (Benjarvus Green-Ellis). (Passing: 4/td, 1/20yd. No ppr.)

In 2011 the top QBs had a significant gap on everybody else - the guy who drafted Brees (QB1) early had about a 100 fpt advantage on the guy who waited and took Eli Manning (QB6). Eli Manning had a career year and was a mid-range starter, but you were still giving up a lot to the top few guys. And there was just as big a gap between Eli and the high-end QB2s. If you waited on a QB and ended up with Joe Flacco (QB15) instead of Eli (QB6), then you were 100 fpts behind Eli, and 200 behind Brees.

I take a backup QB early all the time, often with great success. If nothing else, you screw over everyone who thought they were so smart because they were waiting, and you can usually trade your backup for something of value midway through the season when they're sick of trotting out Andrew Dalton every week. In several of the staff mocks I was taking Rodgers/Brees in the 3rd and Griffin in the 8th because they simply possessed far too much value. If the season plays out according to my expectations, the move is a major net positive for me. People underestimate just how much VBD a top-3 QB winds up producing, and I'll gladly roster two of them, even if for no other reason than to take one of them out of the pool for my competitors to use against me
It has been some years since I have seen anyone talking about this. But it might be interesting to revisit the idea of blocking.

What I mean by blocking is taking a player not because you need the player, but because the points that player will give your opponent is more negative value to you than drafting another player who would be a positive for you.

Especially at the QB position where things are somewhat more linear. Based on your projections you may see that there is one QB left available who will give a 4pt/game advantage over the rest of the QB available. You may be looking at a RB or WR that you need compared to this QB that you don't due to having already drafted a QB before. So in that sense you are not gaining any value for the QB pick to your total potential points scored, as you will likely be starting the QB you drafted before. However if all the other players remaining to you are only offering a 2pt/game advantage. You have to ask yourself if you might not be better off giving your opponents -4pts/game or if you should take the 2pt/game for your team. Which if you have not yet filled all of your positions/flex options is very relevant.

What I recall from the last time this was discussed at length most found that blocking was not a worthwhile strategy. Mainly because it is only giving you an advantage against one team, while picking a position of need gives you that advantage against the field. I am not sure I entirely agree with this counter argument. I think the idea is interesting and worth re-visiting.

Of course when Dalton scores as much as most of those top 12 QB you will be saying why didn't I wait longer. But that is another story. :)

I do this in most leagues and have for a long time now - I'm a huge proponent of QBBCs; however in a few leagues this year Brady or Stafford slipped much later than they should have and I could no longer pass on them.

This year I've been targetting RG3, Eli or Romo as my QB1 and I won't take one until round 10. I've been targetting Dalton as my QB2, with my next two targets being Roethlisberger then Rivers.

Been avoiding Vick, Palmer, Schaub and Flacco.
I did this - took Romo round 8 then swung around a few rounds later and took Dalton before everyone else started their QB2 run.

I've used this strategy 2x in the past few weeks and gotten; RG3/A. Smith in one league and Dalton/A.smith in another.

I did this last night from the 1 spot in a 14 team league. I ended up waiting it out and ended up going Dalton in the 11th and Ben in the 12th. I didn't plan for this to happen, but we'll see how it goes playing match ups and the waiver wire.

Scoring rules? Starter rules? Gotta consider these.

Start 2 QB's, 16 team league or use QB as a flex? Probably want to take QB's early and often.

Otherwise, I'm usually waiting for the 9th-12th QB. Only regretted this once when I took Wilson as the 12th QB off the board in an FPC league and then remembered he has a week 12 bye.

I drafted an FFPC best ball league Friday night and waited until the 14th rd. I ended up with Bradford, Cutler, and Locker. I'm good with that.

In standard redrafts I'd be happy waiting until the 10th or later. Even if 12 teams take their first and 4 teams take their 2nd, I'm still likely to end up with something like:

Brees. Manning, Rodgers, Newton, Ryan, Brady, Kaepernick, Stafford, Griffin, Luck, Romo, Wilson, Vick, Dalton, and Eli gone

This leaves me to grab 2 of Bradford, Cutler, Tannehill, Alex Smith types. I'm good with that.

I took Romo in round 9 once everyone starting to drafting backups, because if I didn't he would have been gone next time around. I'm happy with the result, hopefully he will at least replicate last year with fewer INT's.

It's about knowing opponents and what your comfortable with. In my not very serious work league I kind of screwed myself waiting too long and ended up with Freeman and Palmer when 8 backups were taken in the 7th round (could have taken Romo or Wilson but took Josh Gordon instead) in a standard 1QB league. I'm fine starting with guys like that because I know I'm more active on waivers and trades though

Maybe they know EXACTLY what they are doing. If the drafter sees you are building a strong team, why should you still get a good QB?

This happened to me in Las Vegas FFPC main event last year. RG3 was making his way down to me in the 10th round and I needed a QB. The team at 4 already had Newton, and he saw I needed a QB. He took him on purpose because I was building a powerhouse.

RG3 would have put me over the top and I would have won that league. Instead, I got stuck with Jay Cutler and other scraps and it killed me.

If nothing else, you screw over everyone who thought they were so smart because they were waiting,
This might work in a year where there are only 8-10 viable QBs(although I still don't think it necessarily screws anyone to hand them talent at another position). It isn't 1995 though. Teams throw. A lot. There's probably 14 guys you can roll out at QB and not be at a catastrophic disadvantage vs. teams who took even top 5 players at the position. When guys like Tony Romo/Vick/Luck are going 12th off the board in 12 teamers....that tells me taking a 2nd QB early to try and screw someone is very likely going to achieve your goal, but it probably isn't going to screw the someone you were intending it to.

In a 12-team redraft with 4 point TDs....I'd almost rather roll with one QB this year if I can land the likes of Romo/Luck as one of the last QB1s drafted(and this is happening in most redrafts I've participated in so far) before I reached/panicked because someone took a couple QBs early. Even if it meant taking a guaranteed loss one week because a few other owners decided to take a third QB to "screw" me. At some point one of those teams will cut a guy or a quarterback will get injured. Just have to pay closer attention to the waiver wire, keep the backups most likely to usurp their starter on speed dial, etc etc.

Maybe they know EXACTLY what they are doing. If the drafter sees you are building a strong team, why should you still get a good QB? This happened to me in Las Vegas FFPC main event last year. RG3 was making his way down to me in the 10th round and I needed a QB. The team at 4 already had Newton, and he saw I needed a QB. He took him on purpose because I was building a powerhouse.

RG3 would have put me over the top and I would have won that league. Instead, I got stuck with Jay Cutler and other scraps and it killed me.
I've seen just as many scenarios where owners tried to get cute and #### block teams at a position where it totally blew up in their face.

How'd the guy who drafted Griffin with Newton end up?

It has been some years since I have seen anyone talking about this. But it might be interesting to revisit the idea of blocking.

What I mean by blocking is taking a player not because you need the player, but because the points that player will give your opponent is more negative value to you than drafting another player who would be a positive for you.
I've tried this before with QB in a 6 point TD league and it doesn't work. If you think you can trade your extra QB later, good luck with that, but trades are so hard to make work for both teams, and you're really only targeting one. The extra QB burns another spot on your team and there's enough QB's out there to find one that with throw for 2 TD's and get decent yards. This does work for TE's, because the drop-off is much steeper, but at least you can start your #2 TE as a flex.

To the OP, I think waiting for the last QB isn't wise in a 12 team 6/pt TD league. You can wait, but chances are Romo won't be there and you'll be loading up on scraps where you could have taken some high potential players and adding depth.

In the one auction I was in this year (12 teams 6pt/TD 19 man roster) I do what I normally do and wait in order to load up in the middle... backfired. I should have pulled earlier on some bigger WR names. I already had Luck, but had enough money to also get Flacco, Vick and Eli. If Vick turns up the magic I can probably trade him, but the WR depth on the Eagles is questionable and he'll probably be average. Eli is one I've had in the past, and he tends to fluctuate from awesome to horrible. One week it's 4 TD's on your bench, and the next it's one TD in your line-up. In picking a group of QB's to pick from each week, you have to pick the right one. The right one is the one that scored the most points, which probably won't be the right one the next week. Best to go with a good consistent QB and remove the headache.

I've tried this before with QB in a 6 point TD league and it doesn't work. If you think you can trade your extra QB later, good luck with that, but trades are so hard to make work for both teams, and you're really only targeting one. The extra QB burns another spot on your team and there's enough QB's out there to find one that with throw for 2 TD's and get decent yards. This does work for TE's, because the drop-off is much steeper, but at least you can start your #2 TE as a flex. To the OP, I think waiting for the last QB isn't wise in a 12 team 6/pt TD league. You can wait, but chances are Romo won't be there and you'll be loading up on scraps where you could have taken some high potential players and adding depth.

In the one auction I was in this year (12 teams 6pt/TD 19 man roster) I do what I normally do and wait in order to load up in the middle... backfired. I should have pulled earlier on some bigger WR names. I already had Luck, but had enough money to also get Flacco, Vick and Eli. If Vick turns up the magic I can probably trade him, but the WR depth on the Eagles is questionable and he'll probably be average. Eli is one I've had in the past, and he tends to fluctuate from awesome to horrible. One week it's 4 TD's on your bench, and the next it's one TD in your line-up. In picking a group of QB's to pick from each week, you have to pick the right one. The right one is the one that scored the most points, which probably won't be the right one the next week. Best to go with a good consistent QB and remove the headache.
I agree, it just doesn't work to block in 12 team leagues. If you have a 14 team league or more, then it can. With 32 starting QBs every week there just isn't enough demand.

I was planning on waiting to be the last guy to take a QB in a 12 team league...but then they actually started to disappear.

But the time it came to me in the 5th (5.8), Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Kaepernick, Newton, and Ryan were all gone. Utimately it left me with two shots (5.8 or 6.5) to land a QB, or wait till the 7th and take what would likely be QB12 at that point in time. From my perspective, the value Tom Brady offered here was just too high to pass up (I already had Charles, CJ2K, Julio and Bowe)...so I grabbed him, before it came back to me in the 6th Luck and Romo went; and then before I saw my pick in the 7th, Stafford, Wilson and RG3 were gone.

Ultimately I was happy with my choice to grab Brady there.

Took Romo (7th) and Vick (11th) and was able to trade Vick after he bumped up for Richardson which helped the RB core. If Romo (or any late round QB) gets you premium points the advantage the rest of your team has is pretty big. In fact, it afforded me the ability to pick Gronkowski.

I've never been able to make myself wait to the point where I was "all in" on the strategy with guys that could easily finish outside QB12. I wait as long as I can but want a guy with a QB10-12 "floor" and a QB5-6 "ceiling".

I take a backup QB early all the time, often with great success. If nothing else, you screw over everyone who thought they were so smart because they were waiting, and you can usually trade your backup for something of value midway through the season when they're sick of trotting out Andrew Dalton every week. In several of the staff mocks I was taking Rodgers/Brees in the 3rd and Griffin in the 8th because they simply possessed far too much value. If the season plays out according to my expectations, the move is a major net positive for me. People underestimate just how much VBD a top-3 QB winds up producing, and I'll gladly roster two of them, even if for no other reason than to take one of them out of the pool for my competitors to use against me.
:goodposting:

In the later rounds of drafts sometimes I'll see owners who think we (as other owners) are going to sit there and let him execute his "perfect strategy" and just whistle his way through the draft doing what he wants. I don't think so. Depending on how my draft's gone so far, if you keep disregarding your QB and one falls that I like then I'm gonna take him. I can trade him later in the season or have one helluva back up for my BYE week, or even play a matchup or two during the season that I like.

My main league is a pretty saavy league, and if I don't do it then someone usually does. It's quite amusing to hear the groan or see the quick turn of another owner's head as he looks at you thinking "Why the **** did you take that QB?!?"

*Edited* to add that I like waiting on a QB usually, though. Just don't try to get too cute with it. I'm in a 16 teamer, as well, so "blocking" as some have called it is a VERY effective and viable strat depending on how your team is looking so far.

all depends on your league.

im comfortable waiting until qb 11 or 12 but if qb 11 goes off the board in round 6, I am not gonna wait until round 9 or 10 to take qb 12, thats when you really start playing with fire. Because someone might take that qb 12 and then a mini run on back ups starts and your stuck with jay cutler and rivers as your qbs or something..

I take a backup QB early all the time, often with great success. If nothing else, you screw over everyone who thought they were so smart because they were waiting, and you can usually trade your backup for something of value midway through the season when they're sick of trotting out Andrew Dalton every week. In several of the staff mocks I was taking Rodgers/Brees in the 3rd and Griffin in the 8th because they simply possessed far too much value. If the season plays out according to my expectations, the move is a major net positive for me. People underestimate just how much VBD a top-3 QB winds up producing, and I'll gladly roster two of them, even if for no other reason than to take one of them out of the pool for my competitors to use against me

Especially at the QB position where things are somewhat more linear. Based on your projections you may see that there is one QB left available who will give a 4pt/game advantage over the rest of the QB available. You may be looking at a RB or WR that you need compared to this QB that you don't due to having already drafted a QB before. So in that sense you are not gaining any value for the QB pick to your total potential points scored, as you will likely be starting the QB you drafted before. However if all the other players remaining to you are only offering a 2pt/game advantage. You have to ask yourself if you might not be better off giving your opponents -4pts/game or if you should take the 2pt/game for your team. Which if you have not yet filled all of your positions/flex options is very relevant.

What I recall from the last time this was discussed at length most found that blocking was not a worthwhile strategy. Mainly because it is only giving you an advantage against one team, while picking a position of need gives you that advantage against the field. I am not sure I entirely agree with this counter argument. I think the idea is interesting and worth re-visiting.

Of course when Dalton scores as much as most of those top 12 QB you will be saying why didn't I wait longer. But that is another story. :)
I don't see blocking as a particularly worthwhile strategy this year, however.

This is based on my belief that there are guys sitting in free agency in 12-man leagues who have a fighting chance at winding up as a QB1. In years where you can see a really obvious cliff in expected value, I think there's something to it. In a year where I can make a pretty good case for rolling into week one with Vick, or Bradford, or Palmer, or Cutler, or Alex Smith, or even maybe Terrell Pryor (along with a half dozen more) as a starter, I just can't see the value.

I think you end up feeling good about the name value distribution on draft day, but once the box scores start rolling in, the dream goes up in smoke.

I certainly did this, but by my projections, there wasn't a whole lot of extra value in taking a Romo instead of the rapidly thinning talent at the other positions, so I let somebody else squander a backup pick on Romo, waited, and took Bradford as my QB1. I'm projecting almost identical numbers for him and Romo anyway. Backed it up with Alex Smith.

Later on, added Pryor as a #3, since I lost a guy to injury and figured it was worth a stash to see what happens. Will likely only keep 2 beyond the second week or so.

I've done this twice now and am happy with the result so far. In one league I ended up with Vick/Schaub and the other league I ended up with RG3. Looking at he whole draft in each, I feel like I did very well and have no regrets.

With everyone now adopting this a new shark move has evolved. Snag a top 3-5 guy in the 5th or 6th round.
Did three real drafts and probably about 200 mocks this preseason.

Haven't seen a top 5 QB by ADP fall that far yet, so I question its sharkiness, but if you've got an inside line against your particular guys, by all means go for it.

I normally wait it out also. The one year it paid off was when cutler and marshall put up big numbers in denver (had them both). This year Cam slipped to me in the 8th round...thought this was pretty good value

I normally wait it out also. The one year it paid off was when cutler and marshall put up big numbers in denver (had them both). This year Cam slipped to me in the 8th round...thought this was pretty good value
Well, there ya go. Apparently it does happen. :shrug:

My serious 12-teamer saw Rodgers and Brees fall in the 2nd, Peyton, Brady, and Cam in the 3rd, and Ryan and Kaepernick right around the 4/5 wrap.

(ETA: looking at the numbers, this seems pretty typical.)

With everyone now adopting this a new shark move has evolved. Snag a top 3-5 guy in the 5th or 6th round.
Did three real drafts and probably about 200 mocks this preseason.Haven't seen a top 5 QB by ADP fall that far yet, so I question its sharkiness, but if you've got an inside line against your particular guys, by all means go for it.
I got Peyton Manning in the 5th of the fpc, Cam went in the 6th. I question your "real" drafts if you are not in the fpc, ffpc, or nffc. :shrug: local leagues versus playing with the big boys are very different.Fpc adp data http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=13ffpcadp

Did three real drafts and probably about 200 mocks this preseason.Haven't seen a top 5 QB by ADP fall that far yet, so I question its sharkiness, but if you've got an inside line against your particular guys, by all means go for it.
I got Peyton Manning in the 5th of the fpc, Cam went in the 6th. I question your "real" drafts if you are not in the fpc, ffpc, or nffc. :shrug: local leagues versus playing with the big boys are very different.Fpc adp data http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=13ffpcadp
I question the real drafts of anyone fool enough to play where the top is skimmed. :shrug: Full of suckers who have no business pontificating on the concept of value, IM quite accurate O.

I used this strategy a few days ago and i ended up with Romo. I was the last to take a QB and I'm very happy with the result.
I too used this strategy and wound up with Romo. One thing to consider is the awareness of your opponents as to who and what positions other teams are drafting. The league I drafted Romo in is about 50% FF vets/50% guys who have played a few years but just do it for fun. Overall, I feel waiting and loading up at RB is the best option and I would not draft a QB before the 5th round due to the drop off of talent at RB. You may want to consider going RB,RB,WR,WR and then assess where everyone stands position wise.
I totally agree with this. I guess my league opponent who had already drafted Brees saw that I was stacked and his selection of Vick one turn before mine was preemptive .

I drafted an FFPC best ball league Friday night and waited until the 14th rd. I ended up with Bradford, Cutler, and Locker. I'm good with that.

In standard redrafts I'd be happy waiting until the 10th or later. Even if 12 teams take their first and 4 teams take their 2nd, I'm still likely to end up with something like:

Brees. Manning, Rodgers, Newton, Ryan, Brady, Kaepernick, Stafford, Griffin, Luck, Romo, Wilson, Vick, Dalton, and Eli gone

This leaves me to grab 2 of Bradford, Cutler, Tannehill, Alex Smith types. I'm good with that.
If I have to swing for the fences with that group I'd think Cutler and Bradford with the new offensive philosophies there.

I'd also seriously consider Manuel.

Did this last night ended up with Big Ben and EJ Manuel (just hoping for a good outting for him and he can anchor this carousel). 10 team league and 4 teams decided to grab backups in the 6th-8th... Kind of pissed me off a bit cause of the starters they already had but oh well. I like my team other than QB so hopefully it backfires on them.

I am a huge supporter of drafting a QB early...1st round early. Last year was Brady, year before was Brees. This year I read to wait and so I did. 12 teamer 6pts TD. Ended up with Kapernick in round 8. Rivers is backup. Can't wait to see how this plays out

It is a fact that in every draft there is one person that waits until everyone else has taken a QB before they take theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread