What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

Quoted as saying "end is coming sooner rather than later".  If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said decent chance at 3 more seasons. Now I'd say 67% chance this is his last season, 30% he plays 2 more and 3% at 3 more.  I feel sometimes the decision to retire comes quickly and it may have happened for Tom. We'll see.

Quoted as saying "end is coming sooner rather than later".  If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said decent chance at 3 more seasons. Now I'd say 67% chance this is his last season, 30% he plays 2 more and 3% at 3 more.  I feel sometimes the decision to retire comes quickly and it may have happened for Tom. We'll see.
Brady needs 5781 yards and 51 touchdowns to pass manning for the career lead in both.  Those numbers will likely be cut to under 2000 and 20 this season.  It would be very surprising to me to see him retire less than a season away from both.  

Brees will pass manning in yards this year, and is tied with Brady at 488 career touchdowns right now.  If Brees is playing at a high level in 2019, I think Brady hangs them up.  

Brady needs 5781 yards and 51 touchdowns to pass manning for the career lead in both.  Those numbers will likely be cut to under 2000 and 20 this season.  It would be very surprising to me to see him retire less than a season away from both.  

Brees will pass manning in yards this year, and is tied with Brady at 488 career touchdowns right now.  If Brees is playing at a high level in 2019, I think Brady hangs them up.  
I could easily see it, with Brady’s narrative being that he never played the game for records, as proven by the fact that he retired with them in reach (well, except for Brees). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. I think this is potentially an attempt at a money grab. He's been under paid for forever and there's talk that he is not happy with his contract (and Jimmy G making twice as much as he does rubs him the wrong way). I know that sounds odd as he doesn't need the money, but I think he wants the respect that comes with being paid at the top of the market. Of course the end is coming soon compared to the 18 years he's already been in the league.

That being said, he is probably on a year to year basis in evaluating if he will come back the following year. If the team is still successful, I think he will keep playing. I would guess the end will come when: 1) they win another SB, 2) he gets seriously hurt, 3) his performance slips to the point where he is a liability, or 4) his contract ends after 2019 and the Pats don't give him a gigantic one year swan song deal.

I think NE is best served to start reducing the amount he has to carry the team and start building up the running game. Of course, I have been saying that for several years and that still hasn't happened. I was hoping they would have gone more ground and pound and start fielding a much better defense, having Brady only stepping up some of the time instead of practically every game. If the defense and running game were stronger, they could still win a ton of games with Brady putting up lower passing totals and a lot fewer attempts.

It's pretty clear his wife would prefer that he retire and at a minimum not spend so much time playing football. We'll have to see how much weight that carries moving forward.

Meh. I think this is potentially an attempt at a money grab. He's been under paid for forever and there's talk that he is not happy with his contract (and Jimmy G making twice as much as he does rubs him the wrong way). I know that sounds odd as he doesn't need the money, but I think he wants the respect that comes with being paid at the top of the market. Of course the end is coming soon compared to the 18 years he's already been in the league.

That being said, he is probably on a year to year basis in evaluating if he will come back the following year. If the team is still successful, I think he will keep playing. I would guess the end will come when: 1) they win another SB, 2) he gets seriously hurt, 3) his performance slips to the point where he is a liability, or 4) his contract ends after 2019 and the Pats don't give him a gigantic one year swan song deal.

I think NE is best served to start reducing the amount he has to carry the team and start building up the running game. Of course, I have been saying that for several years and that still hasn't happened. I was hoping they would have gone more ground and pound and start fielding a much better defense, having Brady only stepping up some of the time instead of practically every game. If the defense and running game were stronger, they could still win a ton of games with Brady putting up lower passing totals and a lot fewer attempts.

It's pretty clear his wife would prefer that he retire and at a minimum not spend so much time playing football. We'll have to see how much weight that carries moving forward.
Meh.

Brady took the last shot by running Jimmy G out of town. Of course retirement is dinner than later, the guy is over 40. Love that he screwed the Pats future. :lmao:

He went against his former defensive coordinator. He's going to be gaining with Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman shortly. His receivers (I'm looking at you Philip Dorsett) are doing him no favors.

The sky isn't falling. Good buy low if you need a QB.

He went against his former defensive coordinator. He's going to be gaining with Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman shortly. His receivers (I'm looking at you Philip Dorsett) are doing him no favors.

The sky isn't falling. Good buy low if you need a QB.
good point. No time of possession in the first half either.

Tom Brady completed 23-of-35 passes for 274 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the Patriots' 38-7, Week 4 demolition of the Dolphins.

Brady got off to a slow start, relying on the running game and Dolphins mistakes to get the Patriots some momentum. He heated up, finding Cordarrelle Patterson for a 55-yard screen score before delivering some real touchdown dimes to Phillip Dorsett and James White. It was Brady's best performance of the season, though he still appeared to be lacking arm drive at times, including both his interceptions. The first was a bad decision to a blanketed Dorsett. The second was a (late) blind heave into traffic. Brady needs Julian Edelman back, which he will receive in Week 5 against the Colts on Thursday Night Football. Of concern is that Rob Gronkowski checked out against the Dolphins with an ankle injury.

Sep 30 - 4:02 PM

Tom Brady plans to continue his career beyond 2019.

2019 is the final year of his current contract. "I have goals to not only play next year, but beyond that," Brady confirmed in his weekly interview with Westwood One. "I don't take any of these things for granted, but I hope I can keep playing, and I hope I can keep playing at a championship level." The 41-year-old hasn't played at his usual MVP level this season, though he's still been reasonably productive, contributing 27 total touchdowns (25 passing, two rushing) over 15 appearances.

Source: ESPN.com 

Dec 26 - 6:28 PM

He's about done....I won a league in spite of him this season.....I mean, I guess if he's surrounded by more talent, he's still better than 75% of NFL QB's, but father time is catching up 

He's about done....I won a league in spite of him this season.....I mean, I guess if he's surrounded by more talent, he's still better than 75% of NFL QB's, but father time is catching up 
Yes, father time is undefeated.  They should have kept JG. 

Would have been very interesting to see next year with the end of his contract if JG were still around. I have a feeling Bill would have had no problem making the call to pass the torch. As it is, Bill is smart enough that he knows he doesn't have anyone to bump Brady off his spot now, so the team is stuck with him for another contract.

ShamrockPride said:
Would have been very interesting to see next year with the end of his contract if JG were still around. I have a feeling Bill would have had no problem making the call to pass the torch. As it is, Bill is smart enough that he knows he doesn't have anyone to bump Brady off his spot now, so the team is stuck with him for another contract.
The only way they could have kept TB and JG was to franchise Jimmy G. And they weren't going to devote $50+ million of the cap to carry two QB.

At this point, despite his claims to the contrary, Brady looks to be banged up. He looked pretty good in the first half against MIA, seemed to hurt his leg, and didn't look good after that. Add in no Gordon or a true WR1 now, Edelman a little slower from his ACL injury, Gronk a shell of his former self, Hogan only really productive as a 4th option, and Dorsett and Patterson not really threats, and I'm not sure Jimmy G. would look that good either.

As far as the playoffs go, any outcome would not shock me. The defense could figure things out, they could start pressuring the QB, the improved running game could stick around, Brady could go back to being lethal on play action, the play calling could improve, and the OL could stop having a ton of penalties . . . and they could go on another run. Or they could continue to look old and slow, can't tackle, get no pass rush, can't get anything going on offense, their play calling gets predictable, they can't run the ball, and they get hammered at home and are one and done. I would not be shocked if they lost to the Jets this week at this point. Or they could beat the J-E-T-S 41-3.

While this has not been one of the better NE teams, they still could be a tough out in the playoffs. KC and LAC haven't exactly been stellar in the post season. Young / rookie QBs (BAL) have not fared well at all in Foxboro. And HOU, PIT, IND, and TEN haven't been able to win in recent years playing in NE.

KC has gone 2-3 over the past month and barely beat OAK and BAL, allowing 36 ppg and almost 420 ypg over that stretch. The point being, someone else could go into KC and beat the Chiefs, and NE could end up playing at home until the SB. NE is 7-0 at home with a +14 point scoring differential and +108 yardage differential per game. But they are only 3-5 with a around a -2.5 point differential and -43 yardage differential per game on the road.

Stranger things have happened . . . but like I said, they could also go out with a whimper pretty easily.

meh.they haven't won a road playoff game since 2006.good luck winning in THAT place with THAT noise and THAT crowd as rowdy as they'll be that place is gonna be  a mad house...

meh.they haven't won a road playoff game since 2006.good luck winning in THAT place with THAT noise and THAT crowd as rowdy as they'll be that place is gonna be  a mad house...
I think KC is definitely the favorite.  But they've only played 2 road playoff games since 2006-2007.

Tom Brady - QB -  Patriots

In an interview with ESPN's Jeff Darlington, Tom Brady confirmed there is "zero chance" that Super Bowl LIII will be his final game.

Walking off with a win over the Rams—who Brady faced in his first Super Bowl 17 years ago—would be a magical capper to a storybook career, but apparently the future Hall of Famer has not entertained that possibility. Brady maintained that his plan is still to play until he's 45. That's ambitious, though as he proved a week ago in Kansas City, the 41-year-old is still a force to be reckoned with. Next week's title game in Atlanta will mark Brady's third straight Super Bowl appearance.

Jan 27 - 2:40 PM

Hilarious that everyone wants him to retire. Now been in 4 of the last 5 SBs, yeah he is washed up.
I don't get it myself and for what it's worth I've thought since around mid-season Gronk was likely to retire but not for one second even considered that Bradly would. No way.

Not only is he still playing at a high level and winning but as in the last year or so he has taken a bit more of what seems like aggressive move on marketing TB12 and all that it has to offer.  Obviously does not need money but still think he sees this as potentially massively lucrative post-playing day future and doing what he is doing at his age is the best advertising his product can get. Hell, I almost broke down and bought his book last year but when I read the reviews I could not buy what by all accounts looks like a Tom Brady infomercial. But he almost got me.

Funny to think that since Max Kellerman's infamous Tom Brady will fall off a cliff and be a bum in short order rant, TB12 has . . .

- Led NE to a 35-9 record (.795) in the regular season 
- Guided the team to a 7-1 record (.875) in the post season
- Posted a combined 42-10 regular and post season record (.808)
- Advanced to 3 consecutive SB's, winning at least one title
- Won a regular season MVP and a SB MVP
- Completed 66.4% of his passes with a 103.5 passer rating in the regular season, averaging 284 passing y/gm with 89 passing TD and 21 INT in 44 games.
- Completed 66.3% of his passes with a 100.3 passer rating in the post season, averaging 370 passing y/gm with 17 passing TD and 5 INT in 8 games.
- Passed for 15,446 yards with 106 TD with 26 INT across the 3 years in 52 combined games (remember, he missed 4 games while suspended).

I don't have the energy or the motivation to compare this three year stretch for Brady against similar peak 3 year numbers for other QBs, but I would have to guess that the blend of stats, winning%, and post season success has to rank near the top compared to other top tier QBs . . . and those were his age 39, 40, and 41 seasons.

Brady, Belichick, the Pats.....they are on another level.....much respect......you can see age creeping in on him, but if he gets a weapons upgrade, I could see this going on for at least a couple more seasons.

Brady, Belichick, the Pats.....they are on another level.....much respect......you can see age creeping in on him, but if he gets a weapons upgrade, I could see this going on for at least a couple more seasons.
NE has 12 draft picks in the next draft.

1st Round: Own selection.
2nd Round: Bears (56th overall); Own selection.
3rd Round: Lions (72nd overall); Compensatory pick (Solder); Compensatory pick (Butler).
4th Round: Own selection.
5th Round: Compensatory pick (Amendola)
6th Round: None.
7th Round: Browns (Josh Gordon trade); Eagles (draft pick swap from 2018); Own selection; Compensatory pick (Fleming)

They also get last year's first round pick OL Isaiah Wynn, second round CB Duke Dawson, fifth round pick ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley, sixth round pick ILB Chrisitan Sam, and sixth round pick WR Braxton Berrios all back from IR.

Bottom line, if they keep all their picks (doubtful), get last year's picks back, and draft halfway decent (doubtful, but we'll see), then they should get an infusion of younger players for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread