What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

Speaking on whether he had any concerns about QB Tua Tagovailoa's durability, Dolphins GM Chris Grier told reporters, "I can't lie and say no."​

Grier went on, "But it's not something that’s going to make us afraid to do something long-term." Per NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe, Grier then raved about Tagovailoa's growth, work, and bond with HC Mike McDaniel." Grier's perception of Tagovailoa's durability is of immediate relevance because the Dolphins have two months to pick up the quarterback's fifth-year option. Even with Tua's concerning concussion history, it remains exceedingly likely that he plays in Miami in 2024 and beyond after a breakout season in Mike McDaniel's offense in 2022.
SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
Mar 1, 2023, 1:21 PM ET

(FantasyPros) According to Josina Anderson of CBS Sports HQ, the Miami Dolphins are expected to explore all their options at quarterback ahead of the 2023 season with QB Tua Tagovailoa's fifth-year option approaching. Analysis: Anderson says that some people within the Dolphins organization are exploring the possibility of moving on from Tagovailoa due to injury history. Tagovailoa enters his fourth season in the NFL and has an extensive injury history, and the due diligence goes beyond his play on the field, Anderson said. The deadline to pick up Tagovailoa's fifth-year option is May 1, 2023.

According to Josina Anderson of CBS Sports HQ, the Miami Dolphins are expected to explore all their options at quarterback ...
Ryan Burns
@FtblSickness
What choice did/do they have? No stone unturned. Hope like heck Tua makes it back right and you have a good problem. But sit back and rely on him? Nah. Can't do it. Tyreek and Waddle mean you're going for it

JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
I’m told multiple people have been made aware within the #Dolphins organization that the team will explore all options at quarterback, per league source--this as the decision continues to linger on a long-term deal and the 5th-year option on Tua Tagovailoa.
---------------------------
LINK

Dolphins exercised Tua Tagovailoa's fifth-year option.​

Tagovailoa will be paid $23.2 million for the 2024 season. The fifth-year option is fully guaranteed. Though it was never a likely scenario, this rules out the Dolphins from pursuing Lamar Jackson after the draft. It is also a notable commitment to Tua. Expect Miami to begin working on a long-term contract extension for their franchise quarterback. Tua battled through concussion issues last year but was excellent when healthy. Tagovailoa led the league in yards per attempt (8.9) and touchdown rate (6.3 percent). With improved weaponry and Mike McDaniel on the headset, Tagovailoa is finally living up to the expectations he garnered as the No. 5 overall pick.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 10, 2023, 2:34 PM ET

While the repeated concussions are worrisome, what seemingly has gotten glossed over is the way Tua finished the season; 61/116 984 6:5. 0-4 during that stretch.

Great YPA, lousy comp% and TD/INT.

61/116 for the most accurate QB Tyreek Hill has ever seen? Maybe there was fogginess...who knows, but we're Year 4 into Tua's career and there feels like there is more evidence of Tua not being able to make it thru a season playing effective football, than being able to. Which was a key detraction in his draft eval.

Last edited:
Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, asked on “Pardon My Take” to explain why Tua Tagovailoa is criticized more than the average quarterback:

“There are a couple things going on. I’ve wondered the same thing, in terms of the polarization. A lot of people have strong opinions either way.

“The starting point is he is different. Different makes people uncomfortable. If you haven’t noticed, he throws with his left-hand, not right, which is crazy because he’s right-handed. He learned how to throw left on instruction from his father.”

McDaniel’s second theory for the criticism of Tagovailoa:

“Throughout the history of time, people have shunned others when they can’t pronounce their last name, which it has a lot of vowels.

“Also, there is also a lot of conviction. When there is a lot of conviction with people and they’re over the top about it, people tend to speak up on the negative. And once you dig your heels in, three years down the road, you have voodoo dolls of Tua because he’s the bane of your existence because you said you didn’t like him one time and you’re tripling down. I feel great about the guy.”

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, asked on “Pardon My Take” to explain why Tua Tagovailoa is criticized more than the average quarterback:

“There are a couple things going on. I’ve wondered the same thing, in terms of the polarization. A lot of people have strong opinions either way.

“The starting point is he is different. Different makes people uncomfortable. If you haven’t noticed, he throws with his left-hand, not right, which is crazy because he’s right-handed. He learned how to throw left on instruction from his father.”

McDaniel’s second theory for the criticism of Tagovailoa:

“Throughout the history of time, people have shunned others when they can’t pronounce their last name, which it has a lot of vowels.

Also, there is also a lot of conviction. When there is a lot of conviction with people and they’re over the top about it, people tend to speak up on the negative. And once you dig your heels in, three years down the road, you have voodoo dolls of Tua because he’s the bane of your existence because you said you didn’t like him one time and you’re tripling down. I feel great about the guy.”

The age of social media summed up pretty well right there. Any evidence provided contrary to a held stance is viewed as a personal attack which needs to be immediately discredited by any means necessary lest you look like you may have been... *gasp* wrong. See some of this going on with Jokic in the NBA, even more so now after the Nuggets won the championship.

Personally, there are no issues for me in taking Tua as a QB2. Most people are shying away from him.

I believe his efforts in practicing jiu jitsu will assist him greatly. He probably could have done just fine going to wrestling school, they put lots of effort on taking bumps without slamming your head. Sure, there will be risk, but lots of upside as well.

Love Tua at cost. If he stays healthy for a full season I can see him finishing as fantasy QB7 or better. Understanding that it’s a mighty big “if”. But he’s bulked up and worked on improving his reflexes this offseason, so we’ll see.

Personally, there are no issues for me in taking Tua as a QB2. Most people are shying away from him.

I believe his efforts in practicing jiu jitsu will assist him greatly. He probably could have done just fine going to wrestling school, they put lots of effort on taking bumps without slamming your head. Sure, there will be risk, but lots of upside as well.
Tua is a mid-tier QB1 at a discount because of the perceived concussion risk. He's my QB8 with upside.

Tua is a mid-tier QB1 at a discount because of the perceived concussion risk. He's my QB8 with upside.

I have yet to see him go as a QB1. Most are still far too skittish of him.

I have yet to see him go as a QB1. Most are still far too skittish of him.
Seen it quite a bit, but usually a late qb1 for sure. I still think he should be a QB12-14 that has an upside to hit qb6-8.

Brought it up at a recent draft when the guy who took him caught flak; anyone projecting Hill and Waddle to finish as WR1/high WR2 pretty much has to accept that Tua has a floor of low end QB1. I don't see Mike White coming in as replacement and still keeping both those WRs that high.

Brought it up at a recent draft when the guy who took him caught flak; anyone projecting Hill and Waddle to finish as WR1/high WR2 pretty much has to accept that Tua has a floor of low end QB1. I don't see Mike White coming in as replacement and still keeping both those WRs that high.
When Tua went out in 2022, Hill still had great volume and yards, but not TDs. Waddle suffered the most when Tua was out, and he also dropped a long pass from Skylar in the BUF playoff game. Skylar has played better than White overall, with the new rules many teams will carry 3 QBs. Hill could be a good WR with his grandmother throwing passes.

When Tua went out in 2022, Hill still had great volume and yards, but not TDs. Waddle suffered the most when Tua was out, and he also dropped a long pass from Skylar in the BUF playoff game. Skylar has played better than White overall, with the new rules many teams will carry 3 QBs. Hill could be a good WR with his grandmother throwing passes.
Fair enough lol. The overall point I'm trying to make is if people are so worried about Tua's health they are outright projecting he doesn't play a full season (or still questioning his talent to such an extent) that it's dropping him into the QB2 range, it should be effecting their rankings/projections of Hill and Waddle as well. But that never seems to be the case. For those WRs to both put up the numbers they are being projected, it lands Tua squarely in the QB1 range. I've been seeing a similar effect with Geno Smith. You can't say DK, Lockett, and JSN will all be great, and Charbs is in line for receiving work as well, but then think Geno is due for a huge regression. It just doesn't work like that. But I'm glad it's people's blind spot as it's been allowing me to get both at great value. Every year there seems to be a team or two with skill groups that are projected very solid numbers but a QB seemingly not being credited for being attached to those projected numbers. Targeting those guys has done very well for me, especially in SF leagues.

Tua Tagovailoa completed 28-of-45 attempts for 466 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Dolphins 36-34 Week 1 win against the Chargers, adding five rushes for five yards.

The Dolphins catch-and-run passing attack ran hot against LA’s defense, with Tua averaging 10.5 yards per attempt thanks largely to a handful of long connections with Tyreek Hill. Tagovailoa played with supreme confidence, regularly stepping up in the pocket to avoid oncoming rushers and hitting Miami pass catchers in stride in a back-and-forth affair. The Dolphins’ aggressive, fast-paced offense should create the kind of environment in which Tua can be a top fantasy option without much rushing production. He’ll be a plug-and-play in Week 2 against New England.

- Rotoworld

I feel like people messed up and dropped this guy too far because of injury concerns. Should have been in the QB6 to QB8 range. That's my week 1 reaction that I'm going to call not a crazy overreaction.

Love Tua at cost. If he stays healthy for a full season I can see him finishing as fantasy QB7 or better. Understanding that it’s a mighty big “if”. But he’s bulked up and worked on improving his reflexes this offseason, so we’ll see.
So far so good. A great low cost QB1 that managers could’ve drafted a guy like Geno Smith (who I think will rebound) or Jordan Love as a backup to offset the injury risk built in to Tua’s ADP. Anyone that did so is sitting pretty right now as I think Tua could be primed for an MVP caliber season. Buckle up!

I feel like people messed up and dropped this guy too far because of injury concerns. Should have been in the QB6 to QB8 range. That's my week 1 reaction that I'm going to call not a crazy overreaction.
Until he gets sacked and knocked out, yeah he's way undervalued
The risk may be elevated but season ending injuries can happen to anyone at any time and it may not happen to Tua this year at all. This isn't a 30 year old RB or a WR with a bad hamstring.

Until he gets sacked and knocked out, yeah he's way undervalued
The risk may be elevated but season ending injuries can happen to anyone at any time and it may not happen to Tua this year at all. This isn't a 30 year old RB or a WR with a bad hamstring.
Yeah, injuries can happen to anyone but he seems to attract these type of injuries.

If you have video evidence of others with 3 of them in the same season...then the next season they go injury free at QB, I'm definitely willing to learn.
Love the guy since I root for Miami, let's not pretend he isn't fragile.

Tua fans are going to enjoy these video clips
"Just play the tape, I'm about to get comfortable"

So when he gets great OL play and doesn't run for his life every time he drops back, Tua looks like a strong NFL QB, 466 yds/ 3TDs, this is not something you want to gloss over

I'm the biggest Tua fan on the board I'm sure...nothing better than watching him throw the ball all over the field like that..but I'm still worried. LY was not a unique experience for fans. After he threw the walk off to win the Natty, he started the following year throwing and playing as well as any College QB I've ever seen. But by Oct he was limping, and never really felt healthy again at Bama in the next 1.5 years. I love that he put on the weight, but if he hasn't improved his feel for the rush and getting the ball out before getting crushed...it'll be trouble. A lot of people pulling for him though.

I'm the biggest Tua fan on the board I'm sure...nothing better than watching him throw the ball all over the field like that..but I'm still worried. LY was not a unique experience for fans. After he threw the walk off to win the Natty, he started the following year throwing and playing as well as any College QB I've ever seen. But by Oct he was limping, and never really felt healthy again at Bama in the next 1.5 years. I love that he put on the weight, but if he hasn't improved his feel for the rush and getting the ball out before getting crushed...it'll be trouble. A lot of people pulling for him though.

Hes gonna make it bro. Roll tide. Seeing these old bama guys do well is way better than watching the current squad sadly

pointless sidebar

I'm not sure why I never saw this but his full first name is

Tuanigamanuolepola

Which translate to “the chosen one who came from the waters.”

His middle name is Donny....

EDIT

pronounced just in case you thought I was pulling your leg

Last edited:
The Miami offense is unbelievably dangerous. Is it worth backing him up with Mike White? I waited on QB and ended with Tua but am concerned about the injuries. I was impressed with White in NYJ and it seems like he could step in and provide decent production but I didn’t get a look at him this preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread