What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders fire Josh McDaniels and GM David Ziegler (1 Viewer)

Kind of a surprise. Wonder what happened today to make them pull the trigger now vs this morning/afternoon? Lack of trade deadline activity? I can't disagree that he wasn't doing a good job, but that's a lot of money to eat.

So McDaniels will be the QB coach in NE or something won't he?

Right move. Unfortunately, they're cash poor. From ESPN:

"McDaniels was in his second season leading the Raiders after signing a six-year contract in January 2022. He has over four full years left on the deal that Las Vegas is obligated to pay."

"McDaniels was in his second season leading the Raiders after signing a six-year contract in January 2022. He has over four full years left on the deal that Las Vegas is obligated to pay."
JFC, and you still have Mark Davis as majority owner?

I can't imagine how Davante Adams is feeling right now knowing that an LB coach is now HC. It's like turning over the team to Jim Tomsula. But with over a half season left.

Should cut Jimmy too and give AOC at least 3-4 games, might as well find out what he is.

I’d bring in 2 other undrafted rookie FA too. Maybe try to find the diamond in the rough since the season is lost. No reason not to, and I don’t understand why teams don’t do that more often.

Nice start though. Anyone who signed Jimmy G need to be terminated.

Hey, McDumbfarts made it through more games than he did in his last head-coaching gig!

#Progress #YouKnow

that cash poor story still getting kicked around?? Since they let fans into the new stadium it has been a different story

Should cut Jimmy too and give AOC at least 3-4 games, might as well find out what he is.

I’d bring in 2 other undrafted rookie FA too. Maybe try to find the diamond in the rough since the season is lost. No reason not to, and I don’t understand why teams don’t do that more often.

Nice start though. Anyone who signed Jimmy G need to be terminated.
I don't think you can blame Jimmy G fairly. I could imagine being ready to do so, but there's been a lot of odd stuff that he was probably a good boy soldier and they need to be sure once the HC/OC is gone that Jimmy does have issues.
Example- Kristian Wilkerson started and played like 80 percent of snaps. Hardest working WR, the Titans were sorry to let go then the Pats loved but real questions about his ability. He filled in a few times for the Pats and came through fine. He often played well each preseason. Sooo he signed in LV and injury gets him starting and....not a single target. (Oddest thing ever that not one FF site mentioned a new starting WR but it happened)
What was the plan that day? Don't throw to him? That's awful for Jimmy.
Who hasn't said give the ball to Jacobs more? They have a backup this board liked when drafted, him too. Jimmy can't benefit from a run game?
Is he ready to buy I wouldn't blame him just yet.

Many years ago, interim head coach **** Lebeau ran his team like a high school team and even did so as a HC. It went over well then got "we're professionals" and negativity continued til he was let go.

I'd have the LB coach do that. Tell everyone be ready and anyone that messes up could be pulled- anyone.

It sounds grandiose but most of the guys are professionals. It'll wind up something like all three QBs play, four safeties, and four ILBs. It will actually only be like three position groups needed to be woken up and held accountable the rest were doing fine.

That team needs to know if a backup G giving die trying effort is better than a starter that rests on his laurels. Stuff like that, just roll with it and see what happens.

Jeff Saturday made plenty of mistakes and I'm not...but I enjoyed that he rarely wanted schemed up D or O and instead 'you beat your man and do your job.'

If you combine these two points, the Raiders will hire some people and go into next season ready to rock. That has to be the new goal.

I can't stand when new coaches want time to evaluate and there is a lost season for that. You do it now, on tape, for whoever is hired to review and make his calls.

What if some Josh McD lacky is brilliant and calls a great game. What is some fifth WR or fifth CB is great? Find that out. Sub anyone and everyone and see whatcha got.

Just last year fans were quick to defend McD. but yeah, the guy is not a good coach. Would have probably been better off with Bisaccia.

It's like 5 in the morning and I am just waking up, is this a dream, really?

-I've been begging for this since he arrived, OMG if that's true. I have never openly hated a head coach more than I hate Josh McDaniels.
I hated every smug thing he did from the day he arrived as the Las Vegas Head Coach
I hate the way he acts as if he doesn't have to explain himself

10-22 over his last 32 games as Head Coach
But he will team up with Coach BB again at some point, that's where he belongs as Gargamel's cat, Azrael
Good riddance

Rich Bisaccia​

• Team: Packers
  • Position: Special teams coordinator
Many were surprised when the Raiders passed on the opportunity to promote Bisaccia to the team's full-time coaching job after he led the team to the postseason as its interim coach in 2021. Davis is likely rueing his decision to do so after McDaniels' shortcomings.

Bisaccia posted a 7-5 record while in charge of the Raiders following Jon Gruden's abrupt dismissal due to a workplace misconduct scandal. He earned the respect of the locker room quickly and appeared to be the preferred choice of the team's players — and notably, Josh Jacobs — before McDaniels was tapped as Gruden's full-time successor.

If Davis believes he made an error, he could try to rectify it by hiring Bisaccia, 63, as the full-time coach now. He has been a solid special teams coordinator with the Packers since the Raiders opted not to hire him, and his familiarity with some of the roster could help to give the team a chemistry boost after a few trying seasons.

Would Bisaccia be willing to return to the Raiders in such a capacity? That remains unclear, but there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs; thus, he may be willing to take this on given his familiarity with the organization.

Rich Bisaccia​

• Team: Packers
  • Position: Special teams coordinator
Many were surprised when the Raiders passed on the opportunity to promote Bisaccia to the team's full-time coaching job after he led the team to the postseason as its interim coach in 2021. Davis is likely rueing his decision to do so after McDaniels' shortcomings.

Bisaccia posted a 7-5 record while in charge of the Raiders following Jon Gruden's abrupt dismissal due to a workplace misconduct scandal. He earned the respect of the locker room quickly and appeared to be the preferred choice of the team's players — and notably, Josh Jacobs — before McDaniels was tapped as Gruden's full-time successor.

If Davis believes he made an error, he could try to rectify it by hiring Bisaccia, 63, as the full-time coach now. He has been a solid special teams coordinator with the Packers since the Raiders opted not to hire him, and his familiarity with some of the roster could help to give the team a chemistry boost after a few trying seasons.

Would Bisaccia be willing to return to the Raiders in such a capacity? That remains unclear, but there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs; thus, he may be willing to take this on given his familiarity with the organization.
The Packers would let him go if the Raiders wanted to interview him but it would have to be a 2-3 yr deal at least and not just a 2 month audition, he's already done that there.

Just to be clear, you can have assets worth Billions but still not have the kind of liquid cash needed at times.
Baltimore gave Lamar Jackson $75M to put his John Hancock on the line and Herbert got just $16M when he signed because we know the Chargers's owners always cry poor

-Good info Karl, I had no idea they were 6th but it makes sense

I would also like to point out that delaying the McDaniels firing until the end of the season doesn't allow Davis to skirt the Rooney Rule by inserting a black asst coach, in this case it looks like it might possibly be Antonio Pierce who has absolutely NO head coaching experience and even by assistant coach standards, he hasn't seen that much action after his playing days

But now the Raiders can focus on basically any coach they want and they don't even have to pretend to be interested in hiring a black head coach
They're not alone, other teams will fire head coaches in the 2nd Half of the season so they can start searching for the Head Coach THEY WANT
Please don't think for a second these Billionaires are in any way strapped to who they must hire based on the Rooney Rule
It's window dressing to hide their bias nature.

I don't want to just light up Davis/Raiders because almost all of them do it one way or the other
9 games to go, Davis can now say he's had a minority head coach and can begin his search for someone else.
If Pierce is named the interim head coach, kind of a sham because he has no chance, almost no chance of nailing that head coaching spot
These are my observations based on what I see in the NFL. If you feel different, let me hand you the microphone 🎙️

So to recap…

- fired as Broncos head coach 12 games into his second season, with two more seasons left on his contract

- left the Colts at the alter on the eve of his introductory press conference as their new head coach, and his agent terminated his representation with him

- fired as Raiders head coach 8 games into his second season, with four more seasons left on his contract

Three strikes, he’s out. I don’t know that he comes crawling back to New England again with Bill O’Brien already the OC & QB coach. Maybe John Carroll’s football program comes calling. Or maybe he can sit back and collect those checks for the next four years and retire early. Either way I think he’s done in the NFL. There’s no more Tom Brady around to help boost his resume.

Josh McDaniels can comfortably retire on some tropical beach and laugh at all the hate people give him. Ha ha
No, he will go be the Patriots OC again. Now that would be a "ha ha". I doubt he ever gets a 3rd chance. The Colts dodged a bullet. I doubt he is laughing at anyone right now and I'm sure the reality of failure a second time at the job he covets is no laughing matter. Maybe he ends up in the broadcast booth. I was kidding when I said he would go back to NE again, because deep down I believe that would embarrass him.

Last edited:
Amazing what a bad HC he was the second time around...the first time he was young and dumb but there are zero excuses for this debacle...I do want to thank the Raiders for hiring him since it took the potential of him taking over for BB off the table...one of the few positives this season in Foxboro...another BB coaching-tree failure.

If I’m remembering correctly, to get that money he needs to actively be looking for coaching work. If he gets hired again I can’t recall what goes on with the money

general manager: Champ Kelly.

Pierce will make his NFL head coaching debut on Sunday vs. his former New York Giants team.

Just to be clear, you can have assets worth Billions but still not have the kind of liquid cash needed at times.
Baltimore gave Lamar Jackson $75M to put his John Hancock on the line and Herbert got just $16M when he signed because we know the Chargers's owners always cry poor

-Good info Karl, I had no idea they were 6th but it makes sense
Also lead the league in ticket revenue and revenue from non nfl events at the stadium

Users who are viewing this thread