What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

50 is a good goal. 10 minute miles is almost not running.
I am almost not a runner. Do I not need a training program? Should I just eat a lot of pasta the night before and cruise my way to a 1 hour 10k?
Yes40 mins is on ok goal, 35 mins is a good goal, 30 minutes is a very good goal.

Elite runners would go sub 25 pretty easily.
WTF?!These are not goals for a non-runner. 40 mins equates to something less than 6:30 per mile and that equals "ok"?, 30 mins = 4:50/mile is very good?... I'm sorry, unless you're a friggin wilderbeast from the sub-continent, this aint happening.

The advice coming in so far has been great sounding to me. Get some consistent miles in early and then start doing some speed work later.

FWIW- go to a 10k race and see what types of folk come rolling in at the hour mark- look in mirror afterwards and feel confident.
:lmao: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
Don't hyper-extend your elbow patting yourself on the back, big guy. Finishing time is an individual thing unless you're competing for first, which 99% of runners aren't doing. You go out and do it for yourself - whether it's just finishing the race, setting a personal best, or whatever. I figure if I finish a race - 5k, marathon, it doesn't matter - it's more than most people are capable of doing. I enjoy it, I feel good about the accomplishment, and I'm healthier for the effort. Who cares if it gets done in 6:30's, 8:30's, or 10:30's?!?
Pay attention to the thread. I didn't say there was anything wrong with any time. I merely stated times and some goals. Should I have told him he was an elite runner if he finished in an hour?

No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.If I can do it, anyone can.
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.
Sorry about you thinking you're elite, but aren't.
I never said I was elite. You're saying anybody can go out and run 6:30s over 10k and the numbers and common logic don't support what you're saying. If anybody could do it, there wouldn't be less than 5% of racers doing it. So again- you're wrong.

I run quite a few road races and am :lmao: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous.

Go to the finish line of the majority of road races and it's the guys/gals who work their asses off just trying to finish that get the crowd going. True runners are ecstatic that somebody else is joining in on the experience. Ridiculing has no place in road races.

My .02

:blackdot:

Last edited by a moderator:
I run quite a few road races and am :blackdot: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous.

Go to the finish line of the majority of road races and it's the guys/gals who work their asses off just trying to finish that get the crowd going. True runners are ecstatic that somebody else is joining in on the experience. Ridiculing has no place in road races.

My .02
This is very true. One of my friends told me to always have 3 goals for a race. The first one very simple to reach, the second one is what you are really shooting for, and the third your reach. So for your first 10k, it would be something like:1. finish the race

2. finish in under an hour (win your bet)

3. finish in under 50 minutes

I found this to be very helpful when trying to figure out how fast I want to finish a race.

I run quite a few road races and am :blackdot: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous.

My .02
This is very true. One of my friends told me to always have 3 goals for a race. The first one very simple to reach, the second one is what you are really shooting for, and the third your reach. So for your first 10k, it would be something like:1. finish the race

I found this to be very helpful when trying to figure out how fast I want to finish a race.
HE SAID THEY HAVE THEIR OWN GOALS!?!)!^($^(@)

No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.If I can do it, anyone can.
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.
I never said I was elite. You're saying anybody can go out and run 6:30s over 10k and the numbers and common logic don't support what you're saying. If anybody could do it, there wouldn't be less than 5% of racers doing it. So again- you're wrong.
I said anyone could if they wanted to badly enough. I'm not a runner who can run sub 40 now. I can, however easily get there if I want to by training. If you can do as the last leg of a triathalon, then it's obviously not that hard, since you're admitting you're not an elite runner.I have several friends who have run sub 30, and they also would admit they aren't elite.

I run quite a few road races and am :lmao: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous.

My .02

:wall: Just suggestions and those would probably be my 3 goals if I was running my first 10k.

My .02

:wall: Just suggestions and those would probably be my 3 goals if I was running my first 10k.
I completely agree that GStrot should adopt your goal set.

2.65 miles in 30 minutes on Sunday.

Same alternating but more time on the 6.5 than the 4. Did not buy new shoes yet. Really need to work on the shin splints (sp?). Those suck.
Im not sure this is the best type of "training". Do you monitor your heartrate at all? Many treadmills have this function built in. I recently read an article in Outside Mag by a non-runner in his mid-30's who smoked 2 packs a day and decided to start training for a marathon. He started out running for a half hour without letting his heartrate get above 170. He said when he started he would be practically walking when he finished. He gradually upped the time and was naturally able to also increase his speed as he went along. The key for him was to monitor his heartrate though. This way you never felt like you were dying, but were able to quickly increase your speed and stamina. I have been trying this for the past 3 weeks at the gym and have seen much improvement.
Thanks. But, my heart rate is not a problem for these runs. I am in decent shape, just not a runner. The goal of these runs are to get my body used to the mileage and the pounding. I will start monitoring my heart rate once I start serious training. Although when I run on Friday, I will do the fingers to the neck and report back.

My .02

Thanks. Those are my goals. But, after I finish the first half of training, I may reevaluate.

I said anyone could if they wanted to badly enough. I'm not a runner who can run sub 40 now. I can, however easily get there if I want to by training. If you can do as the last leg of a triathalon, then it's obviously not that hard, since you're admitting you're not an elite runner.I have several friends who have run sub 30, and they also would admit they aren't elite.
This has to be fishing too. There are some people that cannot, no matter how much they train, ever sustain 6:30 pace for 10K.

My .02

I completely agree that GStrot should adopt your goal set.
I did.

This has to be fishing too. There are some people that cannot, no matter how much they train, ever sustain 6:30 pace for 10K.
OK, midgets probably can't have the leg stride, parapalegics couldn't, and people with heart conditions which couldn't sustain the heart rate necessary could not.Most preventative conditions can be overcome. Mind over matter.

This thread has given me the inspiration to run my own 10K. I have never done this before. I've done some research in my area and I am targeting one of two races in May(Preakness and Charm City). I started running around the 1st of the year and could only do 1 mile in about 10 min. Monday I did 3.5 miles in a little over 30 minutes and am going at it again in about an hour. Thanks for the inspiration. I get so dang bored running that I needed some sort of goal to keep me interested. Hopefully this does the trick.

This thread has given me the inspiration to run my own 10K. I have never done this before. I've done some research in my area and I am targeting one of two races in May(Preakness and Charm City). I started running around the 1st of the year and could only do 1 mile in about 10 min. Monday I did 3.5 miles in a little over 30 minutes and am going at it again in about an hour. Thanks for the inspiration. I get so dang bored running that I needed some sort of goal to keep me interested. Hopefully this does the trick.
This thread?Seriously?

Nice!Feel free to post updates here and I will provide the encouragement. ggggllllll.

This thread?Seriously?
He meant the thread originator.

No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.

If I can do it, anyone can.
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.

So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.
This has to be :shock: . If you have several friends that run sub 30's you either hang out with a lot of very serious runners, or are feeding us :bs: . Using El Floppo's NYRR example:
I opened up a random NYRR 10k race result from last year-

- 4,753 racers.

- 230 racers under 40:00

- 63 racers under 35:00

- 15 racers under 30:00
Your "friends" who "admit they aren't elite" would be in the top .3% of a large road race. The fact that you have "several friends" capable of running better than 99.7% of typical road racers is amazing!edited to add, the link below has a list of "elite" runners in their field. Their posted times would reveal that this race would consider your "friends" as "elite."

Linky

No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.

If I can do it, anyone can.
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.

So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.
This has to be :thumbup: . If you have several friends that run sub 30's you either hang out with a lot of very serious runners, or are feeding us :mellow: . Using El Floppo's NYRR example:
I opened up a random NYRR 10k race result from last year-

- 4,753 racers.

- 230 racers under 40:00

- 63 racers under 35:00

- 15 racers under 30:00
Your "friends" who "admit they aren't elite" would be in the top .3% of a large road race. The fact that you have "several friends" capable of running better than 99.7% of typical road racers is amazing!edited to add, the link below has a list of "elite" runners in their field. Their posted times would reveal that this race would consider your "friends" as "elite."

Linky
Either you're incredibly dim, incredibly dim AND obstinant, or just fishing. Whichever it is, it's frustrating and boring, particularly in a thread started by somebody looking for legitimate advice/help about running a sub 1:00 10k. You show your ignorance/obstinance/annoyingness by repeating these claims and using yourself and a couple of your friends as evidence. Great for you and your friends to be so capable- the rest of the world isn't.Or maybe this is all just a question of semantics. "Average" to you must mean the top 5%. "Good" means around the top 1% and "very good" means the top .3%. Yeah- these are very realistic definitions and standards by which you should advise a new runner looking for help.

And again- not anybody can go fast. I have a lot of very fit friends who simply can't make their bodies go faster than a certain speed. These are people with many marathons, IronMans and countless shorter races under their belts who train incessantly. I guess they don't want it bad enough either.

And nice jump made on my behalf- I don't consider myself elite, but I'm usually above average in my results (75th percent in races typically), especially when fit. And I keep repeating that even for me at my most fit as a NON-casual runner/fitness person, 6:30/miles over a distance more than 10k is very hard.

If your point is to try and convince this thread that the numbers you're throwing out are something a typical runner should use as goals, I repeat that you're wrong. Do you have a point besides that, fishing, or patting yourself on the back? If not, I'm washing my hands of your tiresome jibba-jibba.

2.35 miles in 25 minutes this morning.My wife and a third woman may be running this. Suddenly I feel like I am in the girly race. Should I go for the half marathon?
I don't know if you were serious about this. I trained for a half marathon in about four months this past summer/fall. It's doable from where you are right now, but it's a serious commitment. Try www.coolrunnings.com for a training schedule and a free log you can use to keep track of your miles.

GStrot said:
avoiding injuries said:
Nice!Feel free to post updates here and I will provide the encouragement. ggggllllll.
Thanks man. I did 5 miles today, ran 4.5 at 6.5 mph and walked another .5 miles and finished in under 50 minutes. With three and a half months to go, I think I am in good shape but also at risk to burn out before the race b/c I'm tired of all this running. No pun intended.

avoiding injuries said:
:sadbanana: :bag: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).

avoiding injuries said:
:mellow: :unsure: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).
Ok, now you're taking it as far as Melvin

avoiding injuries said:
:lmao: :lmao: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).
I'm not kidding. To me, elite is someone who runs a sub 2:20 marathon. That's 140 minutes, that's sub 5:40 miles for 26 in a row. To run 6 miles in sub 6 is just not that ####ing hard for a lot of people I ran sub 6 minute miles IN HIGH SCHOOL! Runners peak near age 28-30. Elite runners are running sub 5 minute miles in a 10 k. Maybe I'm a minute or 2 off in goal times."to be sub 7:00, you need to be extremely gifted"???? Wow. If you believe that, you're never going to be a runner. It's not about gifts.

avoiding injuries said:
:lmao: :lmao: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).
I'm not kidding. To me, elite is someone who runs a sub 2:20 marathon. That's 140 minutes, that's sub 5:40 miles for 26 in a row. To run 6 miles in sub 6 is just not that ####ing hard for a lot of people I ran sub 6 minute miles IN HIGH SCHOOL! Runners peak near age 28-30. Elite runners are running sub 5 minute miles in a 10 k. Maybe I'm a minute or 2 off in goal times."to be sub 7:00, you need to be extremely gifted"???? Wow. If you believe that, you're never going to be a runner. It's not about gifts.
I agree with this to some extent. I have run a 1:25 half and have qualified for and run the boston marathon at age 30. I used to smoke a pack of reds a day until I was 27. If you put in 40+ weeks pretty much anyone can run sub seven 10K if they put an effort in and are not obese and under 40. Elite to me is sub six 30 half to marathon. (if you can break 3:00 in a marathon I will call you elite) 2:20 marathon however is not elite it is world class. I'm not a running snob and everybody has diffent goals, I am talking about the potential of a large segment of potential runners.

2.35 miles in 25 minutes this morning.My wife and a third woman may be running this. Suddenly I feel like I am in the girly race. Should I go for the half marathon?
I don't know if you were serious about this. I trained for a half marathon in about four months this past summer/fall. It's doable from where you are right now, but it's a serious commitment. Try www.coolrunnings.com for a training schedule and a free log you can use to keep track of your miles.
Thanks, very helpful. That training schedule looks like a little more than I want to take on right now. I will see how the first couple of weeks training go. I doubt I will go from 0 to 1/2 marathon in 4 months. I thought 0 to 10k was a bit of a jump. I will just focus on my finishing kick so I finish way ahead of the ladies I will be running with.

avoiding injuries said:
:wall: :yes: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).
I agree with this to some extent. I have run a 1:25 half and have qualified for and run the boston marathon at age 30. I used to smoke a pack of reds a day until I was 27. If you put in 40+ weeks pretty much anyone can run sub seven 10K if they put an effort in and are not obese and under 40. Elite to me is sub six 30 half to marathon. (if you can break 3:00 in a marathon I will call you elite) 2:20 marathon however is not elite it is world class. I'm not a running snob and everybody has diffent goals, I am talking about the potential of a large segment of potential runners.
Elite = World Class to me. Someone who is capable of qualifying for Olympic Trials.

GStrot said:
avoiding injuries said:
Thanks man. I did 5 miles today, ran 4.5 at 6.5 mph and walked another .5 miles and finished in under 50 minutes. With three and a half months to go, I think I am in good shape but also at risk to burn out before the race b/c I'm tired of all this running. No pun intended.
What is your goal for finishing the 10k? It doesn't look like making it to the finish will be a problem for you.

avoiding injuries said:
:wall: :yes: And Pig, you beat me to it - I was going to take a random race to show, as you did, that not many runners run sub-7:00 miles, and not too many even run sub-8:00 miles for a 10K. To be sub-7:00, you either need to be extremely gifted or a serious runner who trains properly (miles, and speed work).
NOT POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT!

I run quite a few road races and am :lmao: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous. Go to the finish line of the majority of road races and it's the guys/gals who work their asses off just trying to finish that get the crowd going. True runners are ecstatic that somebody else is joining in on the experience. Ridiculing has no place in road races. My .02
:goodposting: :goodposting: I think MTT is just fishing, but regardless it's good to keep in mind that people have their own reasons for doing races. Only a miniscule number are running to actually win.

I run quite a few road races and am :lmao: at giving a new runner unreachable goals. EVERY runner has their own goals for each race. His are very clear, and attainable. Telling him that it doesn't do justice to the "sport" for him to go at his own pace, and to wait a year is ludicrous. Go to the finish line of the majority of road races and it's the guys/gals who work their asses off just trying to finish that get the crowd going. True runners are ecstatic that somebody else is joining in on the experience. Ridiculing has no place in road races. My .02
:goodposting: :goodposting: I think MTT is just fishing, but regardless it's good to keep in mind that people have their own reasons for doing races. Only a miniscule number are running to actually win.
Winning is everything. 2nd place is just the best LOSER.

Well, if by MTT you mean me, I'm not fishing. Maybe the times I've laid out aren't goals for GStrot, but rather for anyone who sets out to run a 10k. Since pretty much everyone has agreed that just about anyone can run sub 1 hr, I don't consider that to even be a goal beyond "finish" and since 50 minutes is easily attainable by anyone who trains, I don't consider that much of a goal either.There you go.

GStrot said:
Thanks, very helpful. That training schedule looks like a little more than I want to take on right now. I will see how the first couple of weeks training go. I doubt I will go from 0 to 1/2 marathon in 4 months. I thought 0 to 10k was a bit of a jump. I will just focus on my finishing kick so I finish way ahead of the ladies I will be running with.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program takes thousands of people nationwide from 0 to marathon (and half-marathons as well) in four months.I believe the local group here will begin practice on February 10th, with one of their marathons this season being the San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon on June 3rd.

TNT is a fundraising program, but there are groups out there that just do marathon training (similarly, a 4-5 month program, also targeted at first-timers). I think one group around here (local? national? not sure...) was called "First Marathon" or "First Marathoners".

At any rate, 0 to marathon in four months is indeed possible.

GStrot said:
What is your goal for finishing the 10k? It doesn't look like making it to the finish will be a problem for you.
I'm not sure what my goal is besides losing weight. To be honest, I had to stop yesterday b/c my back was starting to cramp. I'm also on a treadmill that doesn't train you for the different terrain and hills. For my first race, I just want to finish with a respectable time. According to this thread I may need my car. Should I be running every day? Every other day? I'm heading to the gym in an hour and was thinking of running a shorter distance at a higher speed. Again, my MAIN goal is to lose weight and I'm using the 10k as a motivating tool.

GStrot said:
I'm not sure what my goal is besides losing weight. To be honest, I had to stop yesterday b/c my back was starting to cramp. I'm also on a treadmill that doesn't train you for the different terrain and hills. For my first race, I just want to finish with a respectable time. According to this thread I may need my car. Should I be running every day? Every other day? I'm heading to the gym in an hour and was thinking of running a shorter distance at a higher speed. Again, my MAIN goal is to lose weight and I'm using the 10k as a motivating tool.
A good starting point is 3 base workouts and one longer workout a week. Later you can work in speed work/hills as needed. This is pretty much the general rule for all terrestrial endurance sports.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program takes thousands of people nationwide from 0 to marathon (and half-marathons as well) in four months.I believe the local group here will begin practice on February 10th, with one of their marathons this season being the San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon on June 3rd.

TNT is a fundraising program, but there are groups out there that just do marathon training (similarly, a 4-5 month program, also targeted at first-timers). I think one group around here (local? national? not sure...) was called "First Marathon" or "First Marathoners".

At any rate, 0 to marathon in four months is indeed possible.
I am not that motivated. Don't forget, this whole thing was predicated on a bet. I am sure I could run a marathon in 4 months. I just don't want to. Maybe I will enjoy this so much I will try the Chicago marathon. But, I would not count on it. I hate running.

Very early in the thread some people posted some good 10k training programs. Most are 3 - 4 days of running a week with rest being very important. I am following Hal Higdon's programs (starting next week). First I am going to do the 8 week 5k training program then the 8 week 10k training program and viola! I will be ready to "race". There are a few other links if you check out the thread or google 10k training.

A good starting point is 3 base workouts and one longer workout a week. Later you can work in speed work/hills as needed. This is pretty much the general rule for all terrestrial endurance sports.
Terrestrial endurance sports. Nice.I am a terrestrial endurance athlete ... er ... participant.

Haven't read the thread but christ must you be outta shape (sure it's been said).

Anyway, I just bought that Nike running thingy that plugs into your ipod/nano while you run. It has some chip you put in your shoe to tell you EXACTLY how far you've gone, how fast, etc. The thing is genius. For 30 bucks, it's a must if you are training for anything.

Haven't done it yet, but it also graphs your run when downloaded on to your computer. It'll help you a lot.

Anyway, I just bought that Nike running thingy that plugs into your ipod/nano while you run. It has some chip you put in your shoe to tell you EXACTLY how far you've gone, how fast, etc. The thing is genius. For 30 bucks, it's a must if you are training for anything.
If you're really into ipod gadgets, google "ohmibod". It's a vibrator that plugs into an ipod, and vibes to the beat. :unsure:Hey, Valentine's Day is in two weeks, so if you're at a loss for something to get the little lady.... :mellow:

Haven't read the thread but christ must you be outta shape (sure it's been said).Anyway, I just bought that Nike running thingy that plugs into your ipod/nano while you run. It has some chip you put in your shoe to tell you EXACTLY how far you've gone, how fast, etc. The thing is genius. For 30 bucks, it's a must if you are training for anything.Haven't done it yet, but it also graphs your run when downloaded on to your computer. It'll help you a lot.
I don't like Nike shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread