What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

I did 5 miles in 40 minutes on Tuesday night and it was the best work-out I've had in a while.
So, is a 50 minute 10k (basically a 5 miles in 40 minute pace) too ambitious?
I did a 10k in December and ran it in 55 minutes.. Would have been a bit faster but the track was very crowded
This race had 813 last year and around 800 each of the last 4 years. Is that a lot?

I did 5 miles in 40 minutes on Tuesday night and it was the best work-out I've had in a while.
So, is a 50 minute 10k (basically a 5 miles in 40 minute pace) too ambitious?
I did a 10k in December and ran it in 55 minutes.. Would have been a bit faster but the track was very crowded
This race had 813 last year and around 800 each of the last 4 years. Is that a lot?
doesn't sound like it's too much.. I ran the Joe Kleinerman 10K in Central Park and there were about 5000 entrees.. Central Park's track is fairly tight especially when you start a race with that many people. It starts to thin out by Mile 2 and by the time you are into mile 4 you can run at your own pace fairly easily.. I think I did the first mile in 11 minutes or something. The next 5.2 were done in 44 minutes

Just got back from the gym. Ran 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill. Felt like death. Unless you actually enjoy running (which I dont) I think there is a B-I-G difference between a 5K and a 10K. I think anyone (within reason) can run a 5K. Running a 10K seems like a whole different animal to me. Good Luck. Will be interested to see how you make out.

Used to be a serious runner. Now do it more to stay in shape.

I think the Higdon model is good in the beginning. But I wouldn't do as much cross training a couple months into it. As someone else said, by the end of the 2nd month, maybe do some faster runs. That's not saying you have to go out and run repeats 200 meters or anything, but for example, if 10 minute miles is your training pace, maybe try a run in which you go 2-3 minutes at 8:30-9:00 minute pace then 2-3 minutes at your normal pace and repeat. It will get you used to running as faster pace. If you do this once a week, a long run a week (in this case 5.5 - 7 miles) and a couple normal 3-4 type runs, I think you'll be fine.

Good luck

The other thing i've been doing recently is 15 sprints for speed work on the treadmill

you toggle between a 6.8 setting (about a 9 minute mile) and an 8.5 setting (about a 7 minute mile) IIRC and run each for 1 minute a piece and repeat 15 times..

great workout if you only have 30 minutes

Just got back from the gym. Ran 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill. Felt like death. Unless you actually enjoy running (which I dont) I think there is a B-I-G difference between a 5K and a 10K. I think anyone (within reason) can run a 5K. Running a 10K seems like a whole different animal to me. Good Luck. Will be interested to see how you make out.
I completely agree with this. I did my first 5K races this past summer and had no problem banging them out in 23-24 minutes. The first time I ran 6 miles though, even at a 9 minute pace, every muscle south of my waist hurt like hell when I was done. 10K is probably the first ordinary "race distance" that your average physically fit person requires a little training to finish.

This is not the type of positive reinforcement I was hoping for in this thread.I will keep you updated. Perhaps this thread will be my pseudo blog.

I completely agree with this. I did my first 5K races this past summer and had no problem banging them out in 23-24 minutes. The first time I ran 6 miles though, even at a 9 minute pace, every muscle south of my waist hurt like hell when I was done. 10K is probably the first ordinary "race distance" that your average physically fit person requires a little training to finish.
NOT THE POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!

The other thing i've been doing recently is 15 sprints for speed work on the treadmillyou toggle between a 6.8 setting (about a 9 minute mile) and an 8.5 setting (about a 7 minute mile) IIRC and run each for 1 minute a piece and repeat 15 times..great workout if you only have 30 minutes
I wish there was an easy way to do this on the treadmill instead of hitting the up speed button and down speed button every 60 seconds.

I will completely agree with all the posters who say running on a treadmill is a TON harder than running normal. For about 2 years straight I ran 6-7 miles every other day. I usually did this at about 6.5-7 minute mile paces. If I go on a treadmill and set it to 9 miles an hour I feel like I am all out sprinting.I am not sure what it is, maybe my gate is bigger than the 5 feet a treadmill allows?

I will completely agree with all the posters who say running on a treadmill is a TON harder than running normal. For about 2 years straight I ran 6-7 miles every other day. I usually did this at about 6.5-7 minute mile paces. If I go on a treadmill and set it to 9 miles an hour I feel like I am all out sprinting.I am not sure what it is, maybe my gate is bigger than the 5 feet a treadmill allows?
poor leg lift?

GStrot said:
hburgers11 said:
GStrot said:
IvanKaramazov said:
E-Z Glider said:
poor leg lift?
Just did some measuring and it certainly has everything to do with the strides. The treadmill here has a 54inch belt. which is only 4.5 feet. Nobody uses the entire tread as that is a bit dangerous, so you are taking very short strides.

GStrot said:
hburgers11 said:
GStrot said:
IvanKaramazov said:
E-Z Glider said:
poor leg lift?
Just did some measuring and it certainly has everything to do with the strides. The treadmill here has a 54inch belt. which is only 4.5 feet. Nobody uses the entire tread as that is a bit dangerous, so you are taking very short strides.
This assumes the belt is not moving. Trademill vs. outside - I think it's a matter of what you're used to/comfortable with. Some people hate running on treadmills and only right outside and vice versa. So, for GStrot, I would not recommend that he run exclusively on the treadmill and then go run a race outside.

poor leg lift?
This assumes the belt is not moving. Trademill vs. outside - I think it's a matter of what you're used to/comfortable with. Some people hate running on treadmills and only right outside and vice versa. So, for GStrot, I would not recommend that he run exclusively on the treadmill and then go run a race outside.
I am treadmilling until things warm up a bit. Did 2.15 miles this morning as I only had 25 minutes and didn't want to start out too fast. Alternated between 4 and 6.5 mph. Shins hurt a bit and got itchy 10 minutes in. But, lungs were ok. Once the lower legs get used to the running, I will up the distance a bit. Going to a running store and get some good shoes this weekend.

2.65 miles in 30 minutes on Sunday.

Same alternating but more time on the 6.5 than the 4. Did not buy new shoes yet. Really need to work on the shin splints (sp?). Those suck.

Newest wrinkle - the guy I bet with now says his wife wants to run the 10k, too. I think this was a clever ruse on his part to get me to babysit/pace his wife while she ran the 10k. I have not agreed but the 1 hour requirement would be off the table. Maybe I can talk my wife into running it with his wife and I can be free to win the race.

2.35 miles in 25 minutes this morning.

My wife and a third woman may be running this. Suddenly I feel like I am in the girly race. Should I go for the half marathon?

What you should do is train for year before you do an event. Getting beat by middle age women in a 10k is not going to do wonders for your ego, and at your current level this will certainly happen.

Did not buy new shoes yet. Really need to work on the shin splints (sp?).
See the correlation here? People who are new to running tend to not understand how important having a quality pair of running shoes is.Edit: Okay when you first start running you're going to be a little sore regardless, but you're going to get real sore real fast if you're running any significant distance in an old pair of sneaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you should do is train for year before you do an event. Getting beat by middle age women in a 10k is not going to do wonders for your ego, and at your current level this will certainly happen.
A year? Dude, he's gonna get beat by women regardless.

As you get older women are much closer to men in amateur endurance sports.

50 is a good goal. 10 minute miles is almost not running.
I am almost not a runner. Do I not need a training program? Should I just eat a lot of pasta the night before and cruise my way to a 1 hour 10k?
Yes40 mins is on ok goal, 35 mins is a good goal, 30 minutes is a very good goal.Elite runners would go sub 25 pretty easily.
WTF?!These are not goals for a non-runner. 40 mins equates to something less than 6:30 per mile and that equals "ok"?, 30 mins = 4:50/mile is very good?... I'm sorry, unless you're a friggin wilderbeast from the sub-continent, this aint happening.The advice coming in so far has been great sounding to me. Get some consistent miles in early and then start doing some speed work later.FWIW- go to a 10k race and see what types of folk come rolling in at the hour mark- look in mirror afterwards and feel confident.

Did not buy new shoes yet. Really need to work on the shin splints (sp?).
See the correlation here? People who are new to running tend to not understand how important having a quality pair of running shoes is.Edit: Okay when you first start running you're going to be a little sore regardless, but you're going to get real sore real fast if you're running any significant distance in an old pair of sneaker.
I knew this. But, I must admit, the shin splints are not an issue now. I don't think it was shin splints so much as sore shin muscles (whatever they are called) from not running in a long time. I had some new shoes that I am using but I plan on going to a running store this weekend and get professional shoe help.

I am almost not a runner. Do I not need a training program? Should I just eat a lot of pasta the night before and cruise my way to a 1 hour 10k?
Yes40 mins is on ok goal, 35 mins is a good goal, 30 minutes is a very good goal.Elite runners would go sub 25 pretty easily.
WTF?!These are not goals for a non-runner. 40 mins equates to something less than 6:30 per mile and that equals "ok"?, 30 mins = 4:50/mile is very good?... I'm sorry, unless you're a friggin wilderbeast from the sub-continent, this aint happening.The advice coming in so far has been great sounding to me. Get some consistent miles in early and then start doing some speed work later.FWIW- go to a 10k race and see what types of folk come rolling in at the hour mark- look in mirror afterwards and feel confident.
:bs: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.

Good thing I am not running the race at my current level. I bet the guy I could finish in under an hour. This is the easiest bet I will ever collect on (unless I get injured).

This is a given. Unless I win. Last year the fastest woman was 37.26. I don't think a year is going to get me to that level.

:D You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
you're clearly a friggin wilderbeast from the sub-continent

:D You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
6:30 over 10K is definitely well beyond the level of any "fitness" runner. To say nothing of somebody who is new to running.

I trained for year and a 1/3 before I did my first half marathon and ran it in a respectable 1:36. I think people should have a modicum of fitness before they go entering events. It's being respectful of the sport.

:eek: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
Dude- you're replying in a thread to a non-running guy who's looking for advice about finishing a 10k in under an hour. Will that guy be able to do a 10k in under 40 mins? No freaking way. Will most people? No freaking way.I opened up a random NYRR 10k race result from last year- - 4,753 racers.- 230 racers under 40:00- 63 racers under 35:00- 15 racers under 30:00Those are NOT the standards of "Ok, good, and very good". #######.And FWIW- I am a 6' 195lb runner/triathlete- my PRs in the 10k (38:24) and 1/2 (1:32:06) both came in Tris- so I swam and biked first. And YES I do think a 6:30 is hard over a 10k.

The best thing to do to avoid injuries is rest and go to a running store to get fitted for real running sneakers. They will do a gait analysis by watching you run and will be able to tell which design of sneaker is the best for your running style.

I trained for year and a 1/3 before I did my first half marathon and ran it in a respectable 1:36. I think people should have a modicum of fitness before they go entering events. It's being respectful of the sport.
sigh

:bye: :shrug:

I trained for 2 months and ran a 1:44. First time I ever ran 10 miles...

:goodposting: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
6:30 over 10K is definitely well beyond the level of any "fitness" runner. To say nothing of somebody who is new to running.
It really isn't. It's beyond Gstrot, and beyond me right now, but it's not even out of the reach of a casual runner who decides to get serious. In my one and only marathon, because the signage wasn't easily seen, I ran the first 2 miles in under 11 minutes and ran the first half of the marathon in 1hr 24mins.

:goodposting: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
It really isn't. It's beyond Gstrot, and beyond me right now, but it's not even out of the reach of a casual runner who decides to get serious. In my one and only marathon, because the signage wasn't easily seen, I ran the first 2 miles in under 11 minutes and ran the first half of the marathon in 1hr 24mins.
Look at the numbers I posted above. You are wrong, sir.

:lmao: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
Look at the numbers I posted above. You are wrong, sir.
No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.If I can do it, anyone can.

No, I'm not. Your numbers include countless numbers of fat people, and people who walk, and people who are merely out for a jog.If I can do it, anyone can.
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.

Yes40 mins is on ok goal, 35 mins is a good goal, 30 minutes is a very good goal.

Elite runners would go sub 25 pretty easily.
WTF?!These are not goals for a non-runner. 40 mins equates to something less than 6:30 per mile and that equals "ok"?, 30 mins = 4:50/mile is very good?... I'm sorry, unless you're a friggin wilderbeast from the sub-continent, this aint happening.

The advice coming in so far has been great sounding to me. Get some consistent miles in early and then start doing some speed work later.

FWIW- go to a 10k race and see what types of folk come rolling in at the hour mark- look in mirror afterwards and feel confident.
:lmao: You think 6:30 is hard? Christ, I'm a 6'0" 200 lb runner, and my training runs are 8:30 miles. I ran my first 10k ever in under 50 minutes.
Don't hyper-extend your elbow patting yourself on the back, big guy. Finishing time is an individual thing unless you're competing for first, which 99% of runners aren't doing. You go out and do it for yourself - whether it's just finishing the race, setting a personal best, or whatever. I figure if I finish a race - 5k, marathon, it doesn't matter - it's more than most people are capable of doing. I enjoy it, I feel good about the accomplishment, and I'm healthier for the effort. Who cares if it gets done in 6:30's, 8:30's, or 10:30's?!?

It doesn't sound like you have much experience in these matters- great for you that you are capable of going fast, but I can tell you from personal experience with tons of these races/training/etc that it's the rare person who can go at those speeds. They are not casual fitness enthusiasts.NYRR attracts some hardcore runners- but less than 5% finished in "ok" time by your standards. I know and train with a lot of very dedicated, fit people who simply can't run sub 40 10ks.So again, kudos on your own abilities, but you are WRONG.
Sorry about you thinking you're elite, but aren't.

BTW the last 10k I did was 4 years ago at just a hair under 40 minutes while at the time training for a half. It about killed me and my knees and I gave it up for good. I doubt that I've run 6.2 miles total in the 5 years since.

More power to the guys that can stay with this.

2.65 miles in 30 minutes on Sunday.

Same alternating but more time on the 6.5 than the 4. Did not buy new shoes yet. Really need to work on the shin splints (sp?). Those suck.
Im not sure this is the best type of "training". Do you monitor your heartrate at all? Many treadmills have this function built in. I recently read an article in Outside Mag by a non-runner in his mid-30's who smoked 2 packs a day and decided to start training for a marathon. He started out running for a half hour without letting his heartrate get above 170. He said when he started he would be practically walking when he finished. He gradually upped the time and was naturally able to also increase his speed as he went along. The key for him was to monitor his heartrate though. This way you never felt like you were dying, but were able to quickly increase your speed and stamina. I have been trying this for the past 3 weeks at the gym and have seen much improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread