What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

pigskinliquors said:
2Young: I am still :unsure: over the results of the marathon. My thoughts/prayers go out to each of the families.
I have had quite a few moments this week of "man, that could have been me" and I can't seem to shake it (and I am typically not like this). A kid who used to work for me and his wife ran the relay. His wife saw 2 of three being administered CPR and from what he told me, she hasn't been able to sleep all week. Another woman I know qualified for Boston for the first time and is vowing no never run anything longer than a 10K ever again because she saw the same thing.Trying to stay positive, I have had a decent week. I swam 1,250 yards on Monday and lucked in to some free private lessons while swimming 2,500 yards on Wednesday (which inculded 2,000 straight as a 1/2 IM swim simulation). A guy that swims on the same nights as me has done multiple Ironmans and is recovering from an injury. I see this guy grabbing hardware at just about every Tri I do. He is coaching a few other triathletes and has volunteered to help me. Right off the bat he noticed something I've always suspected. I know I pull stronger on my right side. I've always thought it was just because I am very much right hand dominant in everything I do. What he is seeing is that I am bringing my head up early to breathe on my right side. This is causing me to have to shorten the reach of my left arm. He'll be working with me more next week. Cool part, to me, is that I am self taught in the water basically off of YouTube videos. He was highly complementary off my right hand entry, extension & pull and the limited kick and leg positioning. Got the bike on the trainer last night and struggled though 15 miles. I haven't rode in a month and it showed. A couple other random things. I looked through some of the Sand links. I am that willy, nilly tri runner I think. It is what I focus on the least because it is what I feel I do best. And, I can't run 4 days a week, let alone 6. I am a bag of bones, with a laundry list of prior sports injuries and I hurt when I run too much. I can do 2 days running, 2 riding and 2 swimming, but not 6 of the same anything.Got a new bike tool today. I've wanted a CO2 cartrage tire pump. I stopped in a bike shop today and found one that also is a multi-tool. It has a chain tool attachment along with every other allen youd need and it will fit in my pouch with my tire wrenches and a spare tube.Tomorrow, I think I am going to do a simulated trail run. My next race is a 4.8 mile ### kicker of a trail run on 11/6.

Last edited by a moderator:
pigskinliquors said:
2Young: I am still :) over the results of the marathon. My thoughts/prayers go out to each of the families.
I have had quite a few moments this week of "man, that could have been me" and I can't seem to shake it (and I am typically not like this). A kid who used to work for me and his wife ran the relay. His wife saw 2 of three being administered CPR and from what he told me, she hasn't been able to sleep all week. Another woman I know qualified for Boston for the first time and is vowing no never run anything longer than a 10K ever again because she saw the same thing.Tomorrow, I think I am going to do a simulated trail run. My next race is a 4.8 mile ### kicker of a trail run on 11/6.
Man, that kind of thing can really bother you when it hits so close to home. I know just reading about it made me extra alert to my body during my runs, I cannot imagine what being there when it happened is like. How do you simulate a trail run?

Goring for 8+ tomorrow. Planning on getting a good nights sleep and start before 7am, about 40 minutes before sunup.

I got up to fix dinner at 7:15 and noticed that it was completely dark outside, how depressing.

Goring for 8+ tomorrow. Planning on getting a good nights sleep and start before 7am, about 40 minutes before sunup. I got up to fix dinner at 7:15 and noticed that it was completely dark outside, how depressing.
Give it a week or so, and it'll be dark at 6:15 :lmao:

How do you simulate a trail run?
I am about 45 minutes to an hour from any good trails, but Lake St Clair is less than a mile from home and its all grass for a few miles along the lake. On the way back, there is a park with a sled hill that I can run a few times up and down and around the soccer field. To get to the lake I can cut through a high school soccer field and then run down a street with a grass island in the middle. All in all, I can run about a 10K out and back with less than a 1/2 mile on pavement. Should be rainy and about 50ish, perfect dirt conditions.

Back home in Chicago after a fun week in KY/TN and a brief delay (and airline change) at the Knoxville airport. It's always good to get back home.

Ended up staying up way late last night so no run before we left, which meant I had to hit my tempo run on the treadmill this evening while my kids watched "Toy Story." Could have been worse I suppose.

6.2 miles total, 4 miles at 7.2 mph (8:20 pace). I did walk for a minute 2.5 miles into the tempo portion - that's my problem with running on the treadmill. No way I would have walked if I ran outside. My hammys were surprisingly sore afterwards, too. I'm guessing it's all a result of the shorter stride.

Weather for Sunday (20 miler #2) looks like rain. Could make for a very long and somewhat uncomfortable 3hrs and 8 minutes (or so). At least it will be a bit warmer.

Regarding the running days/week discussion, I do think some people handle running almost every day just fine (and in fact benefit from it), while others (like me) break down at anywhere near that frequency. As of Week 9 of official FIRST training, I love this program and have no intention of doing any other running program in the future. 3 days a week gives me the time and energy to do other things (bike, swim, play with my kids, sleep...) and the focus of each run is definitely paying off so far. I'll never hit more than 35 miles in a week, and that's OK with me. More to the point, I'm improving without over-taxing my body.

There has been some discussion over at BeginnerTriathlete about which HIM would be best for a Michigander to do next year. I have been analyzing the same thing in my noggin and got it down in writing and thought I'd share here. Also sharing in case anyone might be inclined to do any of these as well. Here it is:

I am having the same inner debate. Not IF I can do one, as I have such a TRI/Running-OCD, IF is not an option, its when & where. Prefacing things, the bike is my weakest discipline, run is my strongest and this will play heavily in my decision. Below is my Pro/Con analysis on which one should be my 1st:

Race For Recovery, Monroe, MI, Early June:

Pros: Early in the year and will keep me motivated over the winter (ran the Martian Full as my 1st full this year and never took a winter "break" like I usually do). Flat bike (and run too). Close to home and should be able to do it without a hotel stay. Early HIM would let me do a couple of 3 races series (T-Rex & Element Events ILR & Kensington) without worry about hurting something and screwing up the HIM.

Cons: Its during the peak time of Little League for my son & I'd feel selfish missing even one game for a race. Possibly choppy and cold Lake Erie. Not much of a chance to do OWS prior to the event. 3-loop bike sounds like a bore.

Muncie Endurathon, Muncie, IN, July 10, 2010 (current leader):

Pros: Very well reviewed event. Flat bike. Protected reservoir swim. Perfectly timed between LL regular season & all-stars. Friends in Indy would come up to cheer. Kids Tri the next day that the kids could do (and they LOVE these). Not too bad of a drive from home.

Cons: It's either been HOT, rainy or both in recent years. Travel costs for hotel, etc. I'll likely have to skip other events I'd like to do.

Steelhead 70.3, Benton Harbor, MI, 1st Weekend in August:

Pros: It's an Ironman 70.3 branded event. Short drive from home. Several friends did this year and will likely be back. Several other want to do this one together as their 1st.

Cons: $$$$$ (race, hotel, etc). Potential for cancelled or nasty swim. Started a tradition of meeting up with friends in Chicago for the RnR ½ marathon that same weekend and would like to do it again. My sister & brother-in-law live in Boise, ID, and my longer term, 2011, goal would be to do Ironman Boise 70.3 as my first branded event.

Tawas & Rev3 Cedar Point, Mid-September (Not an option at this point as I have a guaranteed team entry for DWD Hell the same weekend), But:

I'd love Tawas to be my 1st HIM as it was the scene of my 1st tri in 2008, and 1st Oly this year, and we've had a blast up there the last 2 years. Cedar Point would just be cool as I have been going there since I was around 9-years old and now take my kids.

What I am doing to achieve the HIM goal:

Swim: I am swimming 2 nights a week and have lucked in to some free private lessons a long time Triathlete/Ironman who is recovering from an injury and shows up to "coach" until he can get back in the pool. I hope the BT Thursday night swim will fire back up next spring. I will be there if it does.

Bike: Already have the bike on the trainer and am studying form, etc. Plan on getting a shop fit if I cannot get more comfortable. I will be riding in the spring with excellent riders who are much faster than me. No better way to get stronger/faster (IMO) than to ride with those that are. Also, signed up for an indoor tri on 12/6.

Run: Not much, just keep racing and running. I am signed up for The Highland Rugged Man early next month, The Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving & The New Years Eve Belle Isle Run.

8.16 this morning, same as last week but 5 minutes slower. I felt great until I hit the long hill between mile 4 and 5, after that my legs were dead. I don't know if it was the temp being 8 degrees higher or that I got woke up earlier than I planned, but it was a hard run. Looking forward to sitting around for a couple hours.

2Young - A benefit of the three-loop bike leg for Monroe is: fan friendly. On the other hand, Steelcase is NOT fan friendly - mile walk (or risky shuttle bus trip) to the start; long jog from the swim finish to the transition area; one huge bike loop; and a run (with a middle loop) that's far from the start/finish. I'd vote for one of the first two. If you do the early event (as I did this past year with a June HIM), be careful. I got caught coming out of a cool, wet spring, so I had my base training in, but not enough race-specific training. For Monroe, you'd need to be doing a lot of that race training in April and May.

Darrin, it'd be good to do occasional workouts where you go to that big hill and just work it - push up, then walk/jog back down. Rinse; repeat.

---

Marathon pics - http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.a...;S=230&PWD=

I know, I know ...relax the arms. And I really did smile and enjoy a lot of the time out there, pics notwithstanding.

Darrin, it'd be good to do occasional workouts where you go to that big hill and just work it - push up, then walk/jog back down. Rinse; repeat.

---

I know, I know ...relax the arms. And I really did smile and enjoy a lot of the time out there, pics notwithstanding.
I will do that eventually. I hope that I am looking as good and fit as you are when I get to your age.

Cool pics, tri-man. Thanks for posting. :thumbup: I've been meaning to post mine from Chicago, too. Apparently I can't link directly to them, but go to this page, choose "Chicago Marathon 2009" from the drop-down box, and enter my last name (Gruett) and bib number (589). Sheesh.

Gonna head out this aft for an easy 11-12 miles with a buddy. Temps are supposed to warm up into the mid-40s, and I think we'll even see a little sun. Should be an awesome fall run!!

Cool pics, tri-man. Thanks for posting. :thumbup: I've been meaning to post mine from Chicago, too. Apparently I can't link directly to them, but go to this page, choose "Chicago Marathon 2009" from the drop-down box, and enter my last name (Gruett) and bib number (589). Sheesh.

Gonna head out this aft for an easy 11-12 miles with a buddy. Temps are supposed to warm up into the mid-40s, and I think we'll even see a little sun. Should be an awesome fall run!!
Thanks for sharing the pics - even if they didn't exactly make it easy...lolWas out at 7 this am for an easy 5 1/2 in what I consider a warm (but not uncomfortably so) temp of 70 :) One week tomorrow is the Daytona Half and temp at start time is now supposed to be 65.

Nice pics from Tri man and Gruecd. You guys are looking good.

I did 6.22 miles today. Just under 11min miles. :( When I try to pick up the pace I really get winded. I just have a hard time getting the O2 I need. I have an appt with this new cardiologist on Monday. This is the guy who I think will do the heart cath and possible patch.

The weather here in S Az is getting to be real nice. This is the payoff for all those 100 degree days. You guys will soon be complaining about ice and cold while I am running in the 60s-70s. :sadbanana:

I saw a huge hawk today. I think he was pretty old. He just had that old look to him but he was big. Kind of hawk I could see taking a cat or small dog.

I have a quick question. Today on my 6 miles I wore my camel back. I know this was designed more for hiking then running. I had a lot of chafing issues and my shirt kept climbing up my back. I was constantly pulling my shirt back down. I am pretty sure I could have done this 6 miles without water but I am adverse to doing that. I have done a lot of desert hiking and I never want to be without water. It is just ingrained in me that I have to have water with me. Anyway I want to know what kind of fuel belt you guys would recommend. I eventually want to be running marathon distances so I want to start getting used to something now. I dont think I will run with this camel back thing again unless it is more of a trail/hiking situation. I think they do make camel backs designed for runners and maybe that is the route to go.

Cost is an issue for me. I am looking for cheap.

Thanks

Cool pics, tri-man. Thanks for posting. :lmao: I've been meaning to post mine from Chicago, too. Apparently I can't link directly to them, but go to this page, choose "Chicago Marathon 2009" from the drop-down box, and enter my last name (Gruett) and bib number (589). Sheesh.

Life is Hard for Kenyan Size White Guys - Support the Need for a Mini Me Division Here are my Detroit Photos (1st dude is not me, too tall & wearing the race shirt - BOO).

Cool pics, tri-man. Thanks for posting. :goodposting: I've been meaning to post mine from Chicago, too. Apparently I can't link directly to them, but go to this page, choose "Chicago Marathon 2009" from the drop-down box, and enter my last name (Gruett) and bib number (589). Sheesh.

Life is Hard for Kenyan Size White Guys - Support the Need for a Mini Me Division Here are my Detroit Photos (1st dude is not me, too tall & wearing the race shirt - BOO).
You look pretty hot in that turquoise shirt in the first 4 photos not of the guy in the race shirt. For your name here I never would have though you had such long hair. :P Seriously, how could they not get a picture of your finish where you can read the clock?

Couldn't bear to watch Arkansas continue to look awful against Ole Miss, so I turned it off put on my shoes and hit the road. Did the 3.6 miles to my parents' house (where my kids were) in 30 min. 8:15 pace felt really comfortable - I didn't push it at all. Running in this beautiful 62 deg. fall weather is much better tuan sitting inside yelling at the TV.

prosopis said:
I have a quick question. Today on my 6 miles I wore my camel back. I know this was designed more for hiking then running. I had a lot of chafing issues and my shirt kept climbing up my back. I was constantly pulling my shirt back down. I am pretty sure I could have done this 6 miles without water but I am adverse to doing that. I have done a lot of desert hiking and I never want to be without water. It is just ingrained in me that I have to have water with me. Anyway I want to know what kind of fuel belt you guys would recommend. I eventually want to be running marathon distances so I want to start getting used to something now. I dont think I will run with this camel back thing again unless it is more of a trail/hiking situation. I think they do make camel backs designed for runners and maybe that is the route to go.

Thanks
I always - always - run with a Camelbak. Catalyst - 0.8 liter external fill waist pack. This is my standard for anything under 8 miles. I have a velcro pocket (from an Asics belt) that I put on the front to hold my iPhone or iPod.

Flashflo - 1.3 liter external fill (with a fold-down cover) waist pack. I love this Camelbak (its a few years old, so it's different than the model they have out now). It has a pocket for my iPhone/iPod, inhaler, etc. inside the fold-down reservoir cover and has two web holster pockets that can hold a couple of gels each on either side of the main compartment.

For both of these waist packs, I tuck my shirt into my shorts to avoid any possible chaffing issues. I really don't get much bounce except from the Flashflo when it's completely filled (and even then it has two cinch straps that work pretty well).

Lobo - 3 liter low-profile backpack. I break this out for 13+ mile runs in the heat (when I need to constantly drink) or longer runs in the cooler weather. I have to constantly mess with the shoulder and chest strap while I run because they loosen - a major drag for an otherwise very nice little running backpack.

As a side note, I own 3 other Camelbak backpacks too for biking or hiking. There's a model out now called the Alterra that I may get at some point to replace my Catalyst - external 0.8 fill and the side pockets.

For Tucson I'm really leaning towards using the Flashflo and mixing in taking water at some of the hydration stations to make up for the limited carrying capacity.

Darrinll40 said:
2Young2BBald said:
gruecd said:
tri-man 47 said:

You look pretty hot in that turquoise shirt in the first 4 photos not of the guy in the race shirt. For your name here I never would have though you had such long hair. :P Seriously, how could they not get a picture of your finish where you can read the clock?
I'm sure if I was taller they would have got my time in the shot.

prosopis said:

Thanks
I always - always - run with a Camelbak. Catalyst - 0.8 liter external fill waist pack. This is my standard for anything under 8 miles. I have a velcro pocket (from an Asics belt) that I put on the front to hold my iPhone or iPod.

Flashflo - 1.3 liter external fill (with a fold-down cover) waist pack. I love this Camelbak (its a few years old, so it's different than the model they have out now). It has a pocket for my iPhone/iPod, inhaler, etc. inside the fold-down reservoir cover and has two web holster pockets that can hold a couple of gels each on either side of the main compartment.

For both of these waist packs, I tuck my shirt into my shorts to avoid any possible chaffing issues. I really don't get much bounce except from the Flashflo when it's completely filled (and even then it has two cinch straps that work pretty well).

Lobo - 3 liter low-profile backpack. I break this out for 13+ mile runs in the heat (when I need to constantly drink) or longer runs in the cooler weather. I have to constantly mess with the shoulder and chest strap while I run because they loosen - a major drag for an otherwise very nice little running backpack.

As a side note, I own 3 other Camelbak backpacks too for biking or hiking. There's a model out now called the Alterra that I may get at some point to replace my Catalyst - external 0.8 fill and the side pockets.

For Tucson I'm really leaning towards using the Flashflo and mixing in taking water at some of the hydration stations to make up for the limited carrying capacity.
Thanks for the reply. I will look into those models. The one I am using now is to big and drives me nuts.Maybe we can meet for a beer when you are in Tucson. I am thinking of volunteering for the marathon since I wont be running in it.

Been a crazy last couple days of training work. Did a strength training workout, a quick 5k (like 7:30/mile), and an interval session on the bike last night.

Today I had to go out, but squeezed in an hour at the pool (good, hard workout). This afternoon I was scheduled for my long run. I was pretty tired, but went out anyway. It has been a long time since I have suffered like that. For the last 2/3 of the run I had substantial abdominal cramping on and off - ovarian area (low abdominals - never had cramps there before). Not to be cowed by my evidently female problems, I did a serious HTFU and managed to finish the run. The last 2 miles were brutal. Definitely need a day off tomorrow. Finished 10 miles in 1:29. Slow, but I didn't stop or walk. And longer than anything I've done before by 15% or so.

My typical weight right now is ~170. After the swim today and run tonight I weighed in at 162.5. Time for some cold ones!

This morning, while still a bit off from my run, I did a damn stupid thing. I signed up and paid for the Daytona Beach Half Marathon next Sunday. My only goal is ti beat 3 hours. I figure that I can run at least 9 miles then walk/run (probably walk lol) my way to the finish.

This morning, while still a bit off from my run, I did a damn stupid thing. I signed up and paid for the Daytona Beach Half Marathon next Sunday. My only goal is ti beat 3 hours. I figure that I can run at least 9 miles then walk/run (probably walk lol) my way to the finish.
:thumbup: Nice work, Darrin. You'll do fine.

:thumbup: Most excellent!! You'll do great!

Paying for my run now. 4:30 am and I haven't slept much - my legs are a ball of soreness. Perhaps I should have cut it short.

5.5 miles this morning, just a minute slower than last weeks. I did have negative splits and my last 3 miles were faster than last week. I went out real slow after yesterdays hard run.

The Galloway Run/Walk plan has never gained any traction here, but I'll pitch it again. When I trained for the marathon in the spring, this is what I used. The thought behind is that short breaks all race long are far better for the body then your plan of pushing the body, possibly too far, by running until you can't run any more and then walking. It also had a mental benefit that may be a little difficult to explain. The thought of a 20 mile training run, to me, was daunting. But 25 to 30 reps of 7 minutes running, with a 1 minute walk didn't seem as bad. I tried several combinations of the run walk and settled on 7/1 (7 minutes running, 1 minute walking). 5/1 was too little time running before a break and 10/1 was too long. Most of the Galloway stuff propots that you can run you fastest times by doing the program and can come out of it with less chance of injury and fatigue.Give it a whirl on your next run and see if it will allow you to have a more successful ad enjoyable 1/2. I'd bet you could go sub 2:30 with out over exerting yourself.

The Galloway Run/Walk plan has never gained any traction here, but I'll pitch it again. When I trained for the marathon in the spring, this is what I used. The thought behind is that short breaks all race long are far better for the body then your plan of pushing the body, possibly too far, by running until you can't run any more and then walking. It also had a mental benefit that may be a little difficult to explain. The thought of a 20 mile training run, to me, was daunting. But 25 to 30 reps of 7 minutes running, with a 1 minute walk didn't seem as bad. I tried several combinations of the run walk and settled on 7/1 (7 minutes running, 1 minute walking). 5/1 was too little time running before a break and 10/1 was too long. Most of the Galloway stuff propots that you can run you fastest times by doing the program and can come out of it with less chance of injury and fatigue.Give it a whirl on your next run and see if it will allow you to have a more successful ad enjoyable 1/2. I'd bet you could go sub 2:30 with out over exerting yourself.
I've never been a big fan of the whole "Gallowalking" thing, but I have to agree with 2Young that it might be a good fit for what you're trying to do with the half. Give it a shot.

I've never been a big fan of the whole "Gallowalking" thing, but I have to agree with 2Young that it might be a good fit for what you're trying to do with the half. Give it a shot.
What about it don't you like? I am thinking this may have to be the method I use to get the 1/2 marathon leg done for next year's HIM. I've tried to just run slower, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I know Tri-Man has advised to just walk the water stops, but I think the structure of an on/off plan will work better.What is the plan for NYC for you? Are you going to rock the GO PACK GO garb, or are you breaking out something new? Do you know if they'll have a webcast similar to Chicago? As I recall, last year was carried live on TV, but only because it was also an Olympic Qualifier, right?

I tried that once, actually attended a Galloway talk 2 years ago in Daytona Beach. My problem is that when I stop running it is hard to make myself start again. I have been thinking about it but I will probably run 3 miles, walk a quarter or half. I just can't stop running every 7 minute. Hell t takes me about half an hour before I even find a good rhythm.

Paying for my run now. 4:30 am and I haven't slept much - my legs are a ball of soreness. Perhaps I should have cut it short.
Perhaps you should have dropped into an ice bath. :thumbdown:Good job on gutting it out, though.And Darrin - you go, boy!!! The race environment will provide a boost, so go in positive ... and avoid the catfish.

tri-man 47 said:
Perhaps you should have dropped into an ice bath. :whistle:Good job on gutting it out, though.
If I only had that much ice on hand. I did take a cold shower, but I guess I will have to step that up.Good news is I woke up feeling much, much better. No major issues - was worried my shin splint would come back or have sore feet, etc. Legs feel pretty good.More good news - weight is now sitting at 165. Hope I can keep it there.

What about it don't you like? I am thinking this may have to be the method I use to get the 1/2 marathon leg done for next year's HIM. I've tried to just run slower, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I know Tri-Man has advised to just walk the water stops, but I think the structure of an on/off plan will work better.What is the plan for NYC for you? Are you going to rock the GO PACK GO garb, or are you breaking out something new? Do you know if they'll have a webcast similar to Chicago? As I recall, last year was carried live on TV, but only because it was also an Olympic Qualifier, right?
I don't know. I just don't think the whole start/stop thing is something that would work for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :excited:The plan for NYC is to not have a plan. Honestly, not sure what I'm wearing yet, and I'm not sure what's being offered in terms of media coverage, either. I know that a PR isn't realistic so soon after Chicago, and I've already got the BQ's locked up, so I'm taking a very "non-2Y2BB" approach to this race. Realistically, I'm guessing I'll run somewhere between 3:15-3:30, but who knows??

Ran 5 and biked an easy 20 around my hood. I was planning on running 9 miles today but my left foot was feeling some pain and the last time I gutted through it it hurt to walk 2 days later. I need to start swimming so I'm ready for those early tri's next spring.

Did 3.5 miles at 4:30 this am.

I am getting more nervous about my appt tomorrow with the cardiologist. I have been reading about this stuff on the innernet so I will have some clue as to what the guy is talking about. One site says if I get this thing patched I cant do anything that causes heavy breathing for 6-8 weeks. ;) I will gain 30lbs in that time if that is true. I suppose I could still walk but running sounds like it is out. I have never put much thought into my breathing during fun time with the wife. :goodposting:

I don't know. I just don't think the whole start/stop thing is something that would work for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :kicksrock:
I'm with gruecd on the Galloway thing. I'm sure it works for some people but walking when I can run makes no sense to me and I would actually find it very demoralizing to start walking after running for just a short time.

Any bike & running trailer suggestions for kids? something along the lines of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Double-Trail...ref=pd_sbs_sg_5
So you're one of those guys that breeze past me in a 5K pushing their kid in a stroller while I am breathing my guts out and my heart rate is 170 :thumbdown:
LOL funny you say that. First off no I am not. Secondly, my first 5k ever (this year) I was running behind a guy doing exactly that... then he put it in over drive and finished way before me.

Any thoughts on how much time is needed after a 1/2 marathon before you can/should run another? I'm sure it really depends on the person, but I'm thinking of trying to do the LV RnR on Dec 6 and not even thinking of time just finishing and then the AZ RnR on Jan 17. I really think I'll be ready for the AZ race, but LV might be pushing it. I've just had an itch to head to Vegas and thought that it would be cool to run down the strip.
Just a personal anecdote. In 2007, I did the Rockstar series, running 3 fulls and 2 halfs from January to October. There were five weeks between the 2nd and 3rd fulls in the spring, and six weeks between the halfs in the fall. In each pairing, I treated the first race as a training race (e.g. the first full was the "20miler" I would have run for the second full), then tapered to the second race. In each pairing, I ended up PRing the second race. Take a look at your training schedule for AZ. LV may fall on a day for a long run. Your mileage may vary.Happy Birthday to me, yesterday. :hot: As it was my 45th, I received a gift of 10minutes towards a BQ time. :lol: lol

did a easy 4 miler on Saturday with a little stiffness still in my calves. I took Sunday off as it was my first day in quite some time to sleep in past 6:30. We were out all day so I did not get to do the 6 I wanted to but will make up some of it today. I am suffering from post marathon lag as I am not getting motivated to run as much as I know I want to. It is hard to shake that let down of unplanned running. I am getting out of it though as I am picking some races to do and working on building my base for my next marathon training.

For my photos:

Go to www.marathonfoto.com

Select columbus marathong

type in Brown

bib # 553

I know a lot of work, but they don't bookmark well. technology today! Ignore the one of me walking. I was so mad when he took that picture. I thought about tackling him and destroying the evidence, but did not have the energy. I saw him and could not get started running fast enough. Sure enough that is the picture that they send out to me asking if I want to buy any pictures.

Did my first 14 miler on Sunday morning. Avg. pace was 9:31 -- Took it nice and slow and really cruised along nicely. The most surprising part was that I was able to just breathe through my nose through most of the run so I'm comfortably running at a nice easy heart rate.

That's the longest run I've ever done.

Did my first 14 miler on Sunday morning. Avg. pace was 9:31 -- Took it nice and slow and really cruised along nicely. The most surprising part was that I was able to just breathe through my nose through most of the run so I'm comfortably running at a nice easy heart rate. That's the longest run I've ever done.
Congratulations. I always knew I was doing well when I could breathe through my nose without trouble.

prosopis - take the long view ...take the long view. If you need two months of serious recovery, so be it. If you decide to get things fixed, look at this as a significant 'crossroads' event in your life. Use the down time to focus on healthy eating, flexibility training (when the time is right), etc.

Roarin S - belated Happy Birthday to you! Always fun to change age brackets!!

Workhorse - great work!!!

pmbrown - I know what you mean about unfocused training. The benefit of tri-training is that there's always something to get started on. Now that I'm 'off season,' it will be strength and flexibility work and base mileage/time in the three disciplines (with a particular focus on just logging time on the bike). I know what you mean, too, about the race pics. I almost got caught late in my August tri, but put on my competitor face and pushed by the photographer.

A really nice 5 mile run late yesterday. Nice weather, leaves in full color, just a bit of comfortable post-marathon tightness in the legs, and no goal other than just enjoying a run.

Any thoughts on how much time is needed after a 1/2 marathon before you can/should run another? I'm sure it really depends on the person, but I'm thinking of trying to do the LV RnR on Dec 6 and not even thinking of time just finishing and then the AZ RnR on Jan 17. I really think I'll be ready for the AZ race, but LV might be pushing it. I've just had an itch to head to Vegas and thought that it would be cool to run down the strip.
Just a personal anecdote. In 2007, I did the Rockstar series, running 3 fulls and 2 halfs from January to October. There were five weeks between the 2nd and 3rd fulls in the spring, and six weeks between the halfs in the fall. In each pairing, I treated the first race as a training race (e.g. the first full was the "20miler" I would have run for the second full), then tapered to the second race. In each pairing, I ended up PRing the second race. Take a look at your training schedule for AZ. LV may fall on a day for a long run. Your mileage may vary.Happy Birthday to me, yesterday. :lmao: As it was my 45th, I received a gift of 10minutes towards a BQ time. :mellow: lol
That's pretty much my plan. I'm adding a mile each weekend (did 8 last Saturday) and I'll have a 12 miler in on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving, I'm doing a 10 miler and then LV is 10 days after that. So prior to LV I'll have a couple of 10's, an 11 and a 12 in. Then I'll use LV for the 13. Goal is really just to finish and try to keep a consistent time per mile that I'm running in the long training runs. After LV we'll see where it goes. I'll only have 6 weeks until the AZ RnR so I doubt I'll really be able to pick up much speed. Probably just try to beat the LV time. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread