What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

You guys are the best. Really appreciate the well-wishes and comments.

2021 Treasure Coast Marathon Race Report

Again, really low expectations for this race and no real plan going in. I just planned to ease into the first few miles and relax. Weather wasn't the worst, but the wind was 15+ sustained from the north with gusts over 20. I hate running in the wind and it did make it feel pretty cold out. I saw @tri-man 47 joke about the gloves. In hindsight, I probably should of wore a pair. 

Woke up at 3:43 am, did my morning business and relaxed for a few minutes. I went through three rounds of my Wim Hof breathing exercises to calm my nerves. Mission accomplished. I was out the door at 5:15 and my HR was back down in the 40s. 

I arrived at the race location around 5:40. Listened to some motivational videos from Goggins (@gruecd) and took one quote from him to store for later. Something about how our mind protects us from pain. When your mind wants to quit, your threshold is only around 40%, so I reminded myself of this quite often throughout the race. 

I get to the line at 5:57, do one round of breathing to calm down again. 6:00 am hits, and we’re off.....

Miles 1-3: I checked my pace and HR once during this stretch. I think right before I finished mile one. HR was around 155 and pace was slow (7:40).

Miles 4-8: At this early in the race, I know it's going to be a brutal race. I was out of breath, legs were weak, and working way too hard. I popped a gel at mile 6. I settled in behind a girl for a few miles. 

Miles 9-12: This stretch was pretty tough. We break out into the open and really feel the wind. Over a huge bridge, then under it, then around. Lots of twists and turns. 

Miles 12-16.5: My wife was waiting for me at mile 12 with my special bottle and another gel. I drink my bottle and store the gel in my pocket for mile 18. At mile 12.5, we head directly into the teeth of the wind. Runners are dropping like flies at this point. I am working wayyyy too hard during this stretch. I just kept saying, get through this, and the wind will take you back through miles 17-21. 

Miles 17-21: My form falls completely apart at this point in the race. I can't think straight, and the wind is my only saving grace. It carried me through this 4-mile stretch. I can't even fathom taking my gel at this point. I've completely red-lined my body, and I need to stop.

Miles 22-26: This stretch may have been the toughest stretch of running I've ever been through. The start of mile 22 is up a huge bridge with a nasty cross-wind/head-wind. I am in the bicycle lane, and I am close to passing out with every step. The wind is pushing me into traffic to the point where I almost jumped the concrete rail to avoid being run over. I decide to throw in the towel and call my wife from my Apple Watch to pick me up.

Then I remember the Goggins thing about only being at 40%, so I say #### it. Just keep going until you stop. What's the worst that can happen? You pass out? You die? I'm having this conversation with myself in my head. So we come to an agreement that I’ll just keep going until I can't anymore. And when that point comes, you're going to walk it in because you'll never be able to live with yourself if you quit. Mile 22 done at the bottom of the bridge. Next up, another ####### bridge! Oh well, clear this, and you're home free. 

For the people that have hit the wall in a marathon, you know how miserable this is. You literally count every step and wonder where tf the next mile marker is. I do this until marker 26. I get to mile 26, put my song on and start working. I know the course is long, but I don't care anymore. I'm finishing this thing off. 

The last .5. I start to think how far I've come since last year, and tell myself to remember this feeling. The feeling of agonizing pain, the feeling that every part of my being said to quit, the feeling that I never stopped to walk the entire time, the feeling of accomplishment. 

I finish as strong as I can. I'm wobbling at this point. My wife is waiting at the line for me, and I finished the marathon. Goal C accomplished. I drove myself home and took a 20-minute ice bath, followed by a 20-minute hot bath. 

I want to thank all of you for being awesome. I can't say enough how much this place has changed my life. Special shoutout to @gianmarco. I know we all joke in here, but he is one hell of a human being. We have talked throughout my entire journey, every step of the way. Really hard to find amazing people, and we have so many in this one little group. Thanks again everyone. One day I will figure this marathon thing out. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Woke up at 3:43 am, did my morning business and relaxed for a few minutes. I went through three rounds of my Wim Hof breathing exercises to calm my nerves. Mission accomplished. I was out the door at 5:15 and my HR was back down in the 40s. 
Interesting coincidence: I was channel flipping maybe two nights ago and came across an interview with him ...about his breathing techniques and his ice water immersions.  I can't say that I was sold, but I was definitely intrigued.  

As commented above, your sustained HR was unbelievable!  To hit the high 170s at mile 13 (about the time you turned north into that wind) and to hold 170s/180s for the next 13 miles?  That's BMFing to the nth degree.  So glad you stuck with it those last few miles and finished.  Superb effort, @JShare87.   :tebow:

Then I remember the Goggins thing about only being at 40%, so I say #### it. Just keep going until you stop. What's the worst that can happen? You pass out? You die? I'm having this conversation with myself in my head. So we come to an agreement that I’ll just keep going until I can't anymore. And when that point comes, you're going to walk it in because you'll never be able to live with yourself if you quit. Mile 22 done at the bottom of the bridge. Next up, another ####### bridge! Oh well, clear this, and you're home free. 
So badass.  Reading this and the rest of the RR makes me more :tebow:  of your effort than if you had PR'd.  You were ready to quit, and dug deeper and found the last few drops in the tank.  So awesome.

Hopefully you have a big bag or Doritos (or whatever it is that you reward yourself with) in front of you right now.  You earned it.

I want to thank all of you for being awesome. I can't say enough how much this place has changed my life. Special shoutout to @gianmarco. I know we all joke in here, but he is one hell of a human being. We have talked throughout my entire journey, every step of the way. Really hard to find amazing people, and we have so many in this one little group. Thanks again everyone. One day I will figure this marathon thing out. 
Hey man, get your own boyfriend.  :boxing:

For the people that have hit the wall in a marathon, you know how miserable this is. You literally count every step and wonder where tf the next mile marker is. I do this until marker 26. I get to mile 26, put my song on and start working. I know the course is long, but I don't care anymore. I'm finishing this thing off. 

The last .5. I start to think how far I've come since last year, and tell myself to remember this feeling. The feeling of agonizing pain, the feeling that every part of my being said to quit, the feeling that I never stopped to walk the entire time, the feeling of accomplishment. 
This is beautiful, man. Gave me chills to read this....and even as I type this up....

This is what strength looks like - those three paragraphs damn near make me tear up knowing where you were a year ago and where you are now.

And you had that damn beast stand up and stare you in the face and you didn't blink.

This accomplishment today and getting through it mentally is awesome stuff. So awesome, man.

:headbang:

@JShare87

Great report!  I don't understand why your fitness oddly took a hit late in training but hopefully your tremendous perseverance will be a powerful memory to recall on when needed for many years from now.  Congrats on the race!

Will rest tomorrow and try a 10ish run on Sunday...pace and distance by feel.
:kicksrock:

The weekend got completely away from me. Pushed the 10m to this afternoon and then got a last minute covid vaccination appt. Only had time for 5ish, and only at a giddyup. Gorgeous afternoon though.

Felt ok but definitely pushed at essentially hm pace. Really wanted to go longer today...going to be a busy work/life week and won't be able to do more than 6 until next weekend. 

The trail course kind of beat me up or something. Hips/ butt hurts a little but that's kind of normal lately.  But my mid back aches something fierce. Feels like I was punched repeatedly. Taking a deep breath is not particularly fun. 

@JShare87

Great report!  I don't understand why your fitness oddly took a hit late in training but hopefully your tremendous perseverance will be a powerful memory to recall on when needed for many years from now.  Congrats on the race!
I think I have an idea, but I'm wondering if there's more to the story. Only so much you glean from strava data alone. But now that we're on the other side of the race I'm wondering if our hero is interested in unpacking where things went wrong. Regardless, a lot of positives to takeaway from the last 3 months, especially considering where things stood a year plus ago.

3x per week (Mon, Wed, Fri or Sat)

Pick one - (standing on tip toes or alternating single leg) bicep curls, shoulder press, or overhead tricep extension

Pick one - single leg romanian dead lift, reverse lunges, or banded side steps (90 seconds per set)

Pick one - push ups or dips (don't choose dips on overhead tri day)

Pick one - russian speed lunges or kettlebell swings

Pick one - active side planks + boats w/scissor kicks, or medicine ball oblique twists + active regular planks

Pick one - medicine ball squat-and-throw or walking lunges

Pick one - bent over rows, lateral raises, or kettlebell snatch (not on swing day)

Pick one - chest fly (not on push up day) or lawnmowers

Pick one - calf extensions or hamstring curls w/trx stability ball

Pick one - single leg bridges or side lunges
Weights/PT days today.  The two bolded above are part of my normal routine, plus some bicep curls, and glute kick backs.  

Will target next weights/PT day for more of the above.  Except the pushups.  :cry:

Thanks for this!

You guys are the best. Really appreciate the well-wishes and comments.

Again, really low expectations for this race and no real plan going in. I just planned to ease into the first few miles and relax. Weather wasn't the worst, but the wind was 15+ sustained from the north with gusts over 20. I hate running in the wind and it did make it feel pretty cold out. I saw @tri-man 47 joke about the gloves. In hindsight, I probably should of wore a pair. 

I arrived at the race location around 5:40. Listened to some motivational videos from Goggins (@gruecd) and took one quote from him to store for later. Something about how our mind protects us from pain. When your mind wants to quit, your threshold is only around 40%, so I reminded myself of this quite often throughout the race. 

I get to the line at 5:57, do one round of breathing to calm down again. 6:00 am hits, and we’re off.....

Miles 1-3: I checked my pace and HR once during this stretch. I think right before I finished mile one. HR was around 155 and pace was slow (7:40).

Miles 4-8: At this early in the race, I know it's going to be a brutal race. I was out of breath, legs were weak, and working way too hard. I popped a gel at mile 6. I settled in behind a girl for a few miles. 

Miles 9-12: This stretch was pretty tough. We break out into the open and really feel the wind. Over a huge bridge, then under it, then around. Lots of twists and turns. 

Miles 12-16.5: My wife was waiting for me at mile 12 with my special bottle and another gel. I drink my bottle and store the gel in my pocket for mile 18. At mile 12.5, we head directly into the teeth of the wind. Runners are dropping like flies at this point. I am working wayyyy too hard during this stretch. I just kept saying, get through this, and the wind will take you back through miles 17-21. 

Miles 17-21: My form falls completely apart at this point in the race. I can't think straight, and the wind is my only saving grace. It carried me through this 4-mile stretch. I can't even fathom taking my gel at this point. I've completely red-lined my body, and I need to stop.

Miles 22-26: This stretch may have been the toughest stretch of running I've ever been through. The start of mile 22 is up a huge bridge with a nasty cross-wind/head-wind. I am in the bicycle lane, and I am close to passing out with every step. The wind is pushing me into traffic to the point where I almost jumped the concrete rail to avoid being run over. I decide to throw in the towel and call my wife from my Apple Watch to pick me up.

I finish as strong as I can. I'm wobbling at this point. My wife is waiting at the line for me, and I finished the marathon. Goal C accomplished. I drove myself home and took a 20-minute ice bath, followed by a 20-minute hot bath. 

:towelwave: beastly! 

The Iguana said:
been a long time since I have done one of these and it didn't exactly feel like a BMF performance but I did have fun and it did kind of kick my butt and these are kind of fun to type up. I'll try to keep it brief...

DINO Series 15K - Mounds State Park

Wasn't exactly feeling it when I got up this morning but had a great constitutional, as one grandparent used to call it, had my stuff together and was out the door by a about 6:45 am for the 50 minute drive +/-. It was a brisk 26* this morning +/- with projected ending temperature in the low 30s. Got to the site just in time as the line at the gate of the state park was rather long shortly after I arrived. Found a nice parking spot, got checked in, had a 2nd movement and headed back to the car to shed some clothing. I wanted to man up and go shorts and a sleeveless shirt but it really was brisk out there and I wasn't quite up for it so I left my thin long sleeve base layer shirt on with my shorts and sleeveless shirt. Had a brief warm up and chatted with a guy I work with and a friend that had introduced me to this series/group that puts on trail races and then it was time for the start...

Mile 1 - 9:30, HR 142 (gap 9:10)

It was actually a bit of a crowded start but the first half mile is fairly open, flat and straight to help spread things out a little. But the next half mile heads off into the woods with twists and turns as well as some relatively gentle up and down rolling trails. It was still congested enough to be a bit of a pain but no too bad. I was a little sad to see 9:30 when my watch buzzed but all things considered it wasn't bad.

Mile 2 - 8:54, HR 154 (gap 8:39); Mile 3 - 9:35, 158 (9:09)

Mile 2 was a nice wide area with a good size downhill to start that could be cruised followed by nice flat section along the river. I was feeling pretty good here until the very end of it... The end of mile 2 and beginning of mile 3 is a huge hill with a couple of switchbacks that we would get to run 3 times. Mile 3 continued to be up and adown a bit - not huge hills but what was there was fairly steep/stout. 

Mile 4 - 9:02, 153 (8:57)

Kind of my last great hurrah. It was a nice wide, flat area that ended the first lap and started the 2nd. The end of this mile is right at the start of the winding trail in the woods.

Mile 5 - 9:47, 158 (9:40); Mile 6, 9:49, 153 (9:14)

Mile 5 was back to the winding, rolling trail that ended with the nice downhill to the river. Mile 6 was along the river with the crazy switchback hill climb and back past the finish. The hill climb here took a bite out of me, IMO. Fun times but man do I need to do something other than all the flat roads around my house to be ready to tackle something like that hill.

Mile 7 - 9:58, 151 (9:28); Mile 8 10:01, 154 (9:53)

Mile 7 had some hills but the ended on the nice flat, wide area back toward the start. It basically completed the 2nd full lap and all that was left was 1 half lap to go. My heart rate coming back down here is probably proof that I wasn't pushing as hard as I had been and was hurting a bit. I had been running with a couple guys before but they had faded and I was pretty much all alone at this point. Mile 8 was roughly mile 1 all over again but I obviously did not have the same focus or strength. I was kind of in "just hang on mode". 

Mile 9 - 9:13, 164 (9:20); Last .39 - 11:06 pace, 155 (9:31)

Mile 9 is most smooth with the big down hill and along the river. I tried to muster all I had and just roll as quick as possible. I had been doing some math for the last couple miles and knew that 1:30 was in the mix but going to be tough. I also knew I had to climb those switchbacks 1 more time and they were going to kick my ### so I tried to use what push I had left here where it was flat and easy running. Most of the last .4 on my watch was the switchback hill that I tried to power hike as fast as I could followed by whatever I had left to roll into the finish. 

Official time - 1:30:09, 94/203 total, 11/19 AG

Again, didn't exactly feel totally BMFish but it was a decent effort. Fun park and beautiful run but kicked my butt for sure. Strava says only 509 feet of elevation gain but I only had 535 feet of elevation the whole month of February and 1,211 feet in January. As a matter of fact, I had 21% of my total elevation gain for the year happen today. As I said, I need to work on that. 
I didn't give this enough love this weekend - we were out of town at a hockey tournament and trying to type up a response on a phone is a pain in the ### for me.

But I just wanted to say congrats on lifting yourself off the mat this year and getting your fitness back in order. I know 2020 was such a blah year and you could have just stayed down and did nothing about it.

But you rebounded in a tremendous way, and this report to me read like a:

...grabbed my lunch pail this morning and went to work. another notch on the fitness belt and was able to get to 1:30.....la-di-da....knocked off some elevation....need to do more....and then strolled over to campus and had lunch with my daughter......

Sounds like a damn nice productive day.

Awesome job!   :headbang:

Man, bummed I missed that one yesterday @JShare87.  What a gritty race.  Pretty easy to tell based upon your recap and Strava (yes, the Strava hater checked out Strava!) that you laid it all out there.  You should fee great about that one.  Congrats!

Had a step back week last week with a sore back but Garmin must have thought it was intentional bc it gave me a Peaking for the first time I’ve ever noticed. Anyway that was nice of them. So yesterday I run and get a high HR that locked in and a -13 score. And recommended 55 hour recovery.  So remember, those numbers are just like some robots opinion, man. 

And we’re back on the first page. 

Had a step back week last week with a sore back but Garmin must have thought it was intentional bc it gave me a Peaking for the first time I’ve ever noticed. Anyway that was nice of them. So yesterday I run and get a high HR that locked in and a -13 score. And recommended 55 hour recovery.  So remember, those numbers are just like some robots opinion, man. 

And we’re back on the first page. 
That high HR was an error right?  That's the problem with all this heart rate analysis features.  If the HR monitor isn't very good (and most of these built in wrist ones aren't) then all these formulas get messed up.

That high HR was an error right?  That's the problem with all this heart rate analysis features.  If the HR monitor isn't very good (and most of these built in wrist ones aren't) then all these formulas get messed up.
Yep it was a bad reading but it came from a wahoo strap which I use like 90% of the time and sometimes it starts high and kicks in normal after a mile but did not yesterday. Thought it was good example of how the HR makes a lot of the algorithm output directional at best and funked on occasion. 

FWIW, my Garmin showed a VO2 of 53 after a recovery run today.  Who knows how precise that is ...but comparative to readings over the past year, I don't recall seeing a reading that high before.  Yeah, me?
My Garmin says mine is 45 and in the top 25% for my age and gender.

How I know this is BS is that right underneath that it says my fitness age is 20.

@JShare87 checking in to see how you're feeling a few days removed from that hell-fest.

Did my first speed work post back-bagel. The rest has done wonders for my legs, who want to let er rip. The back is fine although not 100% loose; I'm trying to hold off a bit to not exacerbate things. 1/4m intervals- that combo had me break 6min/mile for the first time in ages... If only for moments.

Apparently strava PRed my 5k (still nowhere near 20). The whole run was just south of 10k including wu/cd...which made me think of my sub 40 PR for that. That #### is hard! Honestly can't imagine hitting that anytime soon, if ever again.

That made me remember the whole "anybody can do a sub-40" trolling that originally pulled me into this thread...cripes...15 years ago!!? I made the point that a lot of my supremely fit IM friends couldn't do it...fast twitch or whatever. Fitness and desire aren't the bottom line.

And that made me think of you amazing lot. 

Some of you are obvious...but who here has run a sub 40 10k? I'm curious if my anecdotal point holds.

Some of you are obvious...but who here has run a sub 40 10k? I'm curious if my anecdotal point holds.
Maybe I could do a sub-20 5K (current unofficial PR is 20:22), but there's NFW I could do sub-40 10K.  I had to burn everything I had to get sub-45 for the FBG virtual 10K.

I think there are a half-dozen #BMFs in here who either:  A) Have already done it (@gruecd, @MAC_32, @pbm107, @Juxtatarot) ; or B) Have the talent to do it (@SteelCurtain@JShare87) with some focused training.

The latter two might have even done it pre-Strava.  I'm just going by what's listed on their profiles.

Apologies if I'm missing any #BMFs.  Notebook is weak with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I could do a sub-20 5K (current unofficial PR is 20:22), but there's NFW I could do sub-40 10K.  I had to burn everything I had to get sub-45 for the FBG virtual 10K.

I think there are a half-dozen #BMFs in here who either:  A) Have already done it (@gruecd, @MAC_32, @pbm107, @Juxtatarot) ; or B) Have the talent to do it (@SteelCurtain@JShare87) with some focused training.

The latter two might have even done it pre-Strava.  I'm just going by what's listed on their profiles.

Its kind that you thought of me, but I'm not in this stratosphere.  Everything went right and I ran a 19:16 5K a few years back.  There is no way I could run a 40 min 10K.  Maybe sub 41, but that 19:16 took everything out of me.  And unfortunately, I'm not getting any faster as I age.

I ran an 18:01 5k on a grass, not flat course when I was 18. No idea if I could have done a 40 min 10k back then or not. Closest strava has me getting is 46:14 during my HM PR run. Idea of cutting 1 minute/mile off to get under 40 is insane!

On a similar but unrelated note, it was kind of depressing to realize how much work it is for me to just get back to where I had been, much less setting PRs. When I started this journey I was an old, fat, out of shape guy and, ignoring anything I had done 20+ years before, I was setting new records left and right. Made for a pretty motivating experience to keep shedding pounds and seeing what I could do. Now I'm still old, put some of those pounds back on and lost a lot of fitness I worked really hard to regain previously. Some days there's encouragement that things are coming back. Other days, like today, I'm reminded how far I have fallen and father time doesn't make it easy to regain lost opportunities. Just have to keep putting in the work but some days it's definitely more of a mental grind than others. 

Sub 40 10K is a goal I've been chasing a while. 40:32 is my best. 18:52 for a 5K.

@JShare87 checking in to see how you're feeling a few days removed from that hell-fest.

Did my first speed work post back-bagel. The rest has done wonders for my legs, who want to let er rip. The back is fine although not 100% loose; I'm trying to hold off a bit to not exacerbate things. 1/4m intervals- that combo had me break 6min/mile for the first time in ages... If only for moments.

Apparently strava PRed my 5k (still nowhere near 20). The whole run was just south of 10k including wu/cd...which made me think of my sub 40 PR for that. That #### is hard! Honestly can't imagine hitting that anytime soon, if ever again.

That made me remember the whole "anybody can do a sub-40" trolling that originally pulled me into this thread...cripes...15 years ago!!? I made the point that a lot of my supremely fit IM friends couldn't do it...fast twitch or whatever. Fitness and desire aren't the bottom line.

And that made me think of you amazing lot. 

Thanks for checking in. I've been pretty messed up since Sunday. Wasn't able to eat or drink anything all day Sunday. Monday I had some plain potato chips and water. Tuesday I was able to get down some more, and yesterday I was back to normal. I actually had to leave work on Tuesday because I couldn't get through the day. I got my first Covid shot Thursday before my run, so I'm not sure if that is why I'm feeling bad. I can finally walk without limping today, so I may do a mile or two after work. 

I got my first Covid shot Thursday before my run, so I'm not sure if that is why I'm feeling bad. 
You have to be kidding me! That's some pretty bad timing right there. I know what my wife felt like the couple days after getting hers. That wasn't really a wise move before going out to bust off a marathon. 

Users who are viewing this thread