What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

If we're in shoe-chat, talk to a newb...I've been loving my Hoka Cliftons. What other shoes are similar? Or do I just stick with these- I need to get another pair.
Im by no means an expert on shoes (the others here have logged way more miles than me), but Saucony and Hoka are the constants in my shoe rotation.

The Clifton 6s are $104 at running warehouse, and if you like that brand and don't have any pain or injuries, I'd think sticking with them makes sense. I've never worn them but I know a lot of people like them. 

I personally like the Hoka Rincons (original model, I've not tried the 2s).  I dont know how they compare to the Cliftons but it is a whole other feel than the Saucony models. I also just got a pair of Hoka Carbon X for $125, which is a steal.  I literally just got them, so haven't ran in them yet...but looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're in shoe-chat, talk to a newb...I've been loving my Hoka Cliftons. What other shoes are similar? Or do I just stick with these- I need to get another pair.
I switched from Clifton to bondi, happy with the switch.  I started to get pain in the balls of my feet at around 285 miles in the Clifton. 

Best bet is probably a couple more pair of Cliftons to alternate. 6s are on sale with the releases of the 7s and the Clifton Edge.  

Best bet is probably a couple more pair of Cliftons to alternate. 6s are on sale with the releases of the 7s and the Clifton Edge.  

I think it’s good for your feet/legs to rotate a couple different brands, or at least a couple different models of the same brand.

I think it’s good for your feet/legs to rotate a couple different brands, or at least a couple different models of the same brand.
Agreed on the benefits. Havent run in Hokas yet but wonder if the cush/light weight/high stack/lowish drop makes them harder to diversify from. 

Seems if you have a shoe you love, stick with it.  I liked my Cliftons but they went flat after 400ish miles.  Which isn't horrible, but I have other shoes that are still holding up after 600-700 miles.

I've been alternating clifton 7 and 6. The 6s are completely fried. And my "new" 7s already have a lot of miles on them and should be roasted to back ups.

I was thinking about Brooks Ghosts. Thoughts on if they're similar to the Cliftons? 

This is another good point.  I currently rotate among three pairs of shoes.  Plus my trail shoes if I'm on that terrain.

Longest run days:  New Balance 1080v10

Other Days:  Brooks Adrenaline 19 & Brooks Ghost 11

I was thinking about Brooks Ghosts. Thoughts on if they're similar to the Cliftons?
The Ghost is good, but not as cushy as the Clifton.  I prefer the Adrenaline to the Ghost.  The former is the stability version of the two (otherwise the same).

My 1080v10s are the cushiest non-Cliftons I have.

My favourite pair over the last bunch though were the On Cloudflyer (v1).  I don't run on them much anymore (they're up north, and I normally run trails up north), but I keep looking for a deal to grab the v2.

I really don't know much about this stuff.

I've liked running in the Clifton's, but I have no idea if they're the "right" show for me.

I've been alternating clifton 7 and 6. The 6s are completely fried. And my "new" 7s already have a lot of miles on them and should be roasted to back ups.

Ghosts have a high heel to toe drop...~12mm.  I think the Cliftons are around 5, so that will be a different feel.  

The Ghosts were my very first running shoe and they definitely were a sturdy and supportive shoe.  I currently prefer lighter shoes with less drop though.

So the Adrenaline is more similar to Cliftons?
No, Adrenalines are heavier and higher drop. Which may be good for variety if you want something different but not similar to your Clifton specs. 

Looking at the Hoka line for daily trainer stuff, I am most intrigued by the Mach 4s. Might be worth a look for you. 

I currently use Clifton 7s.  They're tough to pull on, but they're comfy on the foot and feel good on all types of runs.  My newest go-to, though, has been New Balance Beacon 3s.  Light, super comfortable, and with a good price point. Sitting at 480 miles on my current pair with some wear on the outside heel, so time to restock (conveniently with a $15 Fleet Feet coupon via their app). 

I always go well over 1k miles per pair. Couldn't tell you how much because I don't track. 
How is this possible?  I start to get knee and foot pain and know it’s new sneak time.  In addition the wear on the bottom of the shoes is severe at 400 miles, no tread under the balls of my feet and the heel completely shredded.

Mrs. Gianmarco with a fantastic showing this morning for her HM race.

Really not much in terms of training. Only moderate (and inconsistent) mileage, minimal speedwork, busy work and stress lately, so low expectations going in. Mostly a get out there, have fun, see where things are at baseline, and use it as a springboard to start our marathon training in a week. It's the same race we ran last year together with @ChiefD.

Temps in mid 40s with winds around 8mph. She arrived 5 minutes before her corral was going off so no warmup (couple reasons for this). Then rain for half the race.

Her PR was set this past October at 1:44:34 (7:59 pace). Well, she just rocked a 1:46:02 (8:05 pace) today . This was good for 3rd overall female and 14th overall on the day out of 110.  Last 5 miles all at 8:00 or below for a solid negative split and with HR in the upper 180s for all of that. And no one for her to run with the entire race.

So proud of her. 

Holy wow.... What a race!

Nice work Mrs ah I'm an!

Eta. :mellow: . My phone is such a ####. 

How is this possible?  I start to get knee and foot pain and know it’s new sneak time.  In addition the wear on the bottom of the shoes is severe at 400 miles, no tread under the balls of my feet and the heel completely shredded.
I have no idea. I only replace them because all science says I should have done it hundreds of miles ago. And even then I still use them. They just get demoted to trails, snow, or yard work. I still had the pair I ran a 2016 marathon in until they completed shredded doing hill repeats at xc practice this past fall. Had to do the half mile jog back through the woods in my socks.

The Ghost is good, but not as cushy as the Clifton.  I prefer the Adrenaline to the Ghost.  The former is the stability version of the two (otherwise the same).

My 1080v10s are the cushiest non-Cliftons I have.

My favourite pair over the last bunch though were the On Cloudflyer (v1).  I don't run on them much anymore (they're up north, and I normally run trails up north), but I keep looking for a deal to grab the v2.
I also prefer the adrenaline to the ghost. I have several pairs of the adrenalines - recently just got a new pair of the 21s - waited too long and couldn't get a pair of the 20s on discount through work. The couple pair of adrenalines are what I run most of my miles in. Also have a pair of sauconys - was actually looking at the kinvera yesterday at the outlet store. Kind of intrigued by them as something different after all the talk here. 

This is me too. I tend to run on the outside of my foot and the heel is usually pretty worn by about 400 to 600 miles depending on brand/style. About that time I really start to feel it in my knees. I've had a couple pairs that actually have started to do it at about 250 or 300 miles - I don't rebuy those... 

My house is officIally done. Finished up the last two rooms today for painting and such. Since the first of the year I have:

1. Remodeled the bathroom

2. Painted 4 bedrooms including all trim

3. Painted the kitchen, dining room, sitting room, entry way, and hallway, including all trim

4. Installed a ceiling fan

5. Installed a new bathroom door

6. All new sockets, switches and covers in the house

7. Hung two new window blinds

8. Installed new sconce in kitchen

9. Installed new electrical circuit for basement

10. Put together two new beds

11. Hauled new furniture to our room (our first matching bedroom set ever in our lives together)

We may do our driveway and front steps and garage floor this summer, but I will hire that out.

Been here 11 years and it’s finally DONE!

Bring on spring and baseball season. And running season.

My house is officIally done. Finished up the last two rooms today for painting and such. Since the first of the year I have:

3. Painted the kitchen, dining room, sitting room, entry way, and hallway, including all trim

11. Hauled new furniture to our room (our first matching bedroom set ever in our lives together)

We may do our driveway and front steps and garage floor this summer, but I will hire that out.

Can I hire you to fix up my Eugene house (when I have a Eugene house)?

Time to move!

:coffee:

Two reasons for this

1) I'm getting a vasectomy on Thursday  :topcat: which will be a forced week off...so I'm trying to cram in some miles 

2) Thinking about prepping for a full and seeing how my body feels with increased mileage  :oldunsure:
I know of one....(the full, I mean)

I know of one....(the full, I mean)

The monumental in November, right? 

:)
Honestly, anything is on the table and I did consider both of these.  

The Nationwide Childrens Marathon (here in Columbus) is in October and the registration is paused still due to Covid.  I have to imagine that thing opens up and the race gets done, but who knows.

If I start training sooner than later, a summer race could be done, but sounds miserable unless it was somewhere much more reasonable temperature wise.  

Monumental is pretty damn close to me and would for sure be in play if nothing is done in Columbus.

7 months is a long ways away though and I need to figure out plans and where to start and how long I need to prep.

You guys know anyone who may know this stuff?

Honestly, anything is on the table and I did consider both of these.  

The Nationwide Childrens Marathon (here in Columbus) is in October and the registration is paused still due to Covid.  I have to imagine that thing opens up and the race gets done, but who knows.

If I start training sooner than later, a summer race could be done, but sounds miserable unless it was somewhere much more reasonable temperature wise.  

Monumental is pretty damn close to me and would for sure be in play if nothing is done in Columbus.

7 months is a long ways away though and I need to figure out plans and where to start and how long I need to prep.

You guys know anyone who may know this stuff?
The temps in Washington State where it is are still good because it's a temperate area. Pretty predictably going to be 55-60. 

The issue isn't the temp for the race, but the summer temps it takes to train for it. I will confirm it sucks.  But, luckily at least April and May weren't bad. It wasn't until June, I think, that it started to get miserable. It was especially bad for us because our race got postponed a month and a half, so we kept training through July and August. 

gianmarco said:
Mrs. Gianmarco with a fantastic showing this morning for her HM race.

Really not much in terms of training. Only moderate (and inconsistent) mileage, minimal speedwork, busy work and stress lately, so low expectations going in. Mostly a get out there, have fun, see where things are at baseline, and use it as a springboard to start our marathon training in a week. It's the same race we ran last year together with @ChiefD.

Temps in mid 40s with winds around 8mph. She arrived 5 minutes before her corral was going off so no warmup (couple reasons for this). Then rain for half the race.

Her PR was set this past October at 1:44:34 (7:59 pace). Well, she just rocked a 1:46:02 (8:05 pace) today . This was good for 3rd overall female and 14th overall on the day out of 110.  Last 5 miles all at 8:00 or below for a solid negative split and with HR in the upper 180s for all of that. And no one for her to run with the entire race.

So proud of her. 
Between HMs and gymnastics, the women in your family are quite accomplished.

Users who are viewing this thread