What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

All of his training pre-Strava is in notebooks. 
Yeah, something like that.  :unsure:   I have either daily appointment calendars or, in more recent years, running log books.  While I've switched to Strava a few years ago, I did manually record my 2019 MCM training (and have started to refer back to it as I gear up again).  As to the earlier races, they'd mail out a results listing or maybe just send a postcard.  I've got a number of those from the early years in a folder, which is where I found the 10K result.  Much of the last twenty years is on the Athlinks site, which is helpful.

Any of you nerds ever play fantasy baseball?

I have the #1 pick this year.

Who should I pick? Besides Antonio Gates.

It's a 6x6 league. Yahoo scoring. AL and NL. 

You have to be kidding me! That's some pretty bad timing right there. I know what my wife felt like the couple days after getting hers. That wasn't really a wise move before going out to bust off a marathon. 

Next time try donating blood in the week before your marathon. Pretty sure that will help you run faster too. 

Seriously, I'm flabbergasted over here. That's taking "doing something new for race day" to new levels. 
Jeez man, why don't you just fly to Florida and kick him in the balls while you are at it.  

Any of you nerds ever play fantasy baseball?

I have the #1 pick this year.

Who should I pick? Besides Antonio Gates.

It's a 6x6 league. Yahoo scoring. AL and NL. 
I have an unhealthy obsession with magic beisubol - roto? and what's the extra cat?

I got my first Covid shot Thursday before my run, so I'm not sure if that is why I'm feeling bad. 
You have to be kidding me! That's some pretty bad timing right there. I know what my wife felt like the couple days after getting hers. That wasn't really a wise move before going out to bust off a marathon. 
Whoa. 

I had my first on Sunday evening...I felt fine, but my arm hurt like the dickens until today. 

Which one would you take?
Soto, but it's because I'm comfortable playing from behind with SB. Many aren't and end up reaching to try and fix that problem once it develops. Which one you should pick depends on your thoughts on SB later in the draft - cause they're both great.

Gents - any thoughts on the kinvera 11 vs 12?

The 10 might just be my favorite shoe, got over 500 miles on them. But now I need new lightweight ones. 

The 10 might just be my favorite shoe, got over 500 miles on them. But now I need new lightweight ones. 
I have the 11 and like it. I didn't like the 10, though, after loving the 8s and 9s. I don't know if it was a sizing thing, but I only tried one and sent it back.

I typically get the model just before the newest because they go on sale. So, if you can get 11s at almost half the price, that's typically a good way to go.

If you are going to get the newest one, consider the Endorphin Speed. It's an amazing shoe and not that much more than the new Kinvara price after getting a discount.

The only reason I brought up getting the shot is because I felt awful after my run until this morning. I'm not just talking about being sore, my stomach, breathing, and a few other things were off. The decision and timing to get the shot wasn't planned. My boss called me while at work Thursday morning and gave me a number to call. She said they were doing vaccines for all educators.

I called the number and asked to schedule an appointment for Monday. The guy said they are only doing it Thursday and Friday, and he could fit me in a 4pm. I scheduled the appointment and immediately texted @gianmarco. He told me do not get the shot. 

After talking with a few coworkers and my family, I decided it was best to get it now. I had no clue when I’d have another opportunity to get the shot. My wife and I are going on a little vacation in a week, and I have some vaccinated family members I haven't seen in a while. I really battled with the decision but thought I was being selfish because of a “run.” I felt fine after the shot, and I don't think it had an impact on my run. At the end of the day, I got vaccinated and finished my 4th marathon. I'll make sure and give blood before my 5th. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally understandable. Life comes first. Sorry for the gut reaction and being kind of a jerk. I just know how my wife felt in the time period after getting hers that would have been race time. She is usually pretty tough about that kind of thing while I'm a big baby. If it took that much out of her, I really can't imagine running a marathon just a couple days later.

Again, triple bonus points on the #BMF factor of running 26.2 in such a short turnaround. 

The only reason I brought up getting the shot is because I felt awful after my run until this morning. I'm not just talking about being sore, my stomach, breathing, and a few other things were off. The decision and timing to get the shot wasn't planned. My boss called me while at work Thursday morning and gave me a number to call. She said they were doing vaccines for all educators.

I called the number and asked to schedule an appointment for Monday. The guy said they are only doing it Thursday and Friday, and he could fit me in a 4pm. I scheduled the appointment and immediately texted @gianmarco. He told me do not get the shot. 

After talking with a few coworkers and my family, I decided it was best to get it now. I had no clue when I’d have another opportunity to get the shot. My wife and I are going on a little vacation in a week, and I have some vaccinated family members I haven't seen in a while. I really battled with the decision but thought I was being selfish because of a “run.” I felt fine after the shot, and I don't think it had an impact on my run. At the end of the day, I got vaccinated and finished my 4th marathon. I'll make sure and give blood before my 5th. 
Look, we're all proud that you ran a marathon on a brand new knee and with a recent vaccine shot, but we're overlooking your real handicap and true triumph over adversity: listening to Meatloaf. 

@JShare87 checking in to see how you're feeling a few days removed from that hell-fest.

Did my first speed work post back-bagel. The rest has done wonders for my legs, who want to let er rip. The back is fine although not 100% loose; I'm trying to hold off a bit to not exacerbate things. 1/4m intervals- that combo had me break 6min/mile for the first time in ages... If only for moments.

Apparently strava PRed my 5k (still nowhere near 20). The whole run was just south of 10k including wu/cd...which made me think of my sub 40 PR for that. That #### is hard! Honestly can't imagine hitting that anytime soon, if ever again.

That made me remember the whole "anybody can do a sub-40" trolling that originally pulled me into this thread...cripes...15 years ago!!? I made the point that a lot of my supremely fit IM friends couldn't do it...fast twitch or whatever. Fitness and desire aren't the bottom line.

And that made me think of you amazing lot. 

Some of you are obvious...but who here has run a sub 40 10k? I'm curious if my anecdotal point holds.
I mean I just broke 50 for the first time, assuming breaking 40 is right around the corner

I've been thinking about you all day: from you saying you got the vaccination before the marathon and some of the responses here and now your response.....and I just have to say how much I admire you through all of this.

Deciding to take that vaccination on that day of all days had to be an agonizing decision for you. I'm sure so much went into that decision:

- coming back from the knee issues

- all the hard work to prepare for this marathon

- all the hard work you have done period over the last few years to have such a life change to even put you into this position in the first place!

And then, two days before the marathon you have worked so hard for you have to make a choice.

And you chose others. You chose:

1. your wife

2. your family

3. your students

I cannot begin to describe how proud I am of you for that. How much strength that took. How much internal agony that probably took. How much pain that probably took, knowing what that could possibly do to your race.

And you did it anyway.

We talk about #BMF here a lot. And there are some amazing human beings in this thread. A lot of us have met, and for those we haven't met it's safe to say we are really friends here.

But that choice you made puts you on another level, my friend. A totally selfless act from a guy who we now know has character in spades.

I'm proud to call you my friend. I am seriously in awe of you doing that, and then running a pretty damn awesome race with its own challenges three days later.

This is what a #BMF looks like, fellas.

I've been thinking about you all day: from you saying you got the vaccination before the marathon and some of the responses here and now your response.....and I just have to say how much I admire you through all of this.

Deciding to take that vaccination on that day of all days had to be an agonizing decision for you. I'm sure so much went into that decision:

- all the hard work you have done period over the last few years to have such a life change to even put you into this position in the first place!

And then, two days before the marathon you have worked so hard for you have to make a choice.

1. your wife

2. your family

3. your students

I cannot begin to describe how proud I am of you for that. How much strength that took. How much internal agony that probably took. How much pain that probably took, knowing what that could possibly do to your race.

And you did it anyway.

We talk about #BMF here a lot. And there are some amazing human beings in this thread. A lot of us have met, and for those we haven't met it's safe to say we are really friends here.

But that choice you made puts you on another level, my friend. A totally selfless act from a guy who we now know has character in spades.

I'm proud to call you my friend. I am seriously in awe of you doing that, and then running a pretty damn awesome race with its own challenges three days later.

100% this.

I have the 11 and like it. I didn't like the 10, though, after loving the 8s and 9s. I don't know if it was a sizing thing, but I only tried one and sent it back.

I typically get the model just before the newest because they go on sale. So, if you can get 11s at almost half the price, that's typically a good way to go.

If you are going to get the newest one, consider the Endorphin Speed. It's an amazing shoe and not that much more than the new Kinvara price after getting a discount.
Thanks. I ended up ordering the 11s from running warehouse. They have a pretty good thing going there with the checkout and the "chance to buy more stuff!" It always works at least for a pair of socks, and I picked up a hooded sweatshirt. Because I'll obviously need one of those for the next 6 months here.  I wore the same one pretty much all winter, so it was time to get a new one. only wore a coat once. 

1. your wife

2. your family

3. your students

And you did it anyway.

He’s a better man than I am, that’s for sure. I don’t think I could ever be that selfless.

1. your wife

2. your family

3. your students

And you did it anyway.

yeah, I'm just a big jerk that didn't think before I posted. Thanks for letting me know.

As grue just posted, I'm not sure I could have done it. Knowing how much work goes into getting ready for that one day, that had to be a tough call. Now, I'm not in the same boat in terms of human contact. I've been working from home for about a year now and had some flexibility with scheduling my shot recently (first dose is a week from tomorrow). That's a huge sacrifice to make and kudos to jshare for making it. 

1. your wife

2. your family

3. your students

And you did it anyway.

Has to be done ...

I liked the fit of 10 more than 11 and havent tried the 12 yet. Slam dunk top value/performer shoe for me though especially in what the new stuff costs. New or prior model as a steal compared to $150+  daily trainers. 

Hey @ChiefD, is it a good time for aeration/seed/topsoil in Maryland or still too cold overnight?

What, who else would I ask?
It's probably a little early yet, but I'm a big fan of getting seed down early in the spring.  The ground is nowhere near warm enough to germinate, but those spring rains and sometimes late snows are good to get that seed really soaked into the ground.

I threw down some seed on some bare spots about two weeks ago, and we are supposed to get some nice soaking rains here this weekend and next week.

I've kind of got back into the "just shut up and run" mode, i.e. trying to run miles and not worrying about anything else. . 
I hit the little star icon to see when the last time I even read this thread was, and there it was - Feb 3rd. That's because why would I be reading a running thread when I'm not running?  Sucks, but is what it is right now.  Not really injured, just overweight, under motivated, and more importantly overwhelmed.  But just wanted to pop in and say I hope you all are still killing it, and give a quick update.

Our landlord told us three weeks ago they're selling our place, we have until 4/15 to be out.  The rental market is really tight here, especially those that take pets, so not many options other than an apartment which just isn't going to work.  We've had a plan to move back to Eugene, OR, sometime after my daughter graduates high school which is this June. But we were thinking maybe this Fall at the earliest, maybe sometime in 2022-23 depending on where she goes to college.  But it looks like that plan just got accelerated.  Luckily she still has her mom's place here so it won't be a huge interruption on that front for her, other than that we're as tight as we've ever been which makes the timing really suck.   For all my faults, the fact that my 17 year old daughter still likes spending time with me and talking to me shows I'm doing something right.  It gets all dusty in here whenever I think about having to be apart from her, even when I know she's going off to college in a few months and starting that amazing adventure.  

So all of a sudden we're packing up and trying to figure out the logistics of a move, to a place with a real estate market so tight that places are selling the week they are listed.  It's just not possible to buy a place, which we're planning to do because we can actually afford it there, without being there and able to move quickly.  Realtor actually asked if I can leave work to go look at a place mid-week if needed, because if not we may miss out.  Luckily, I can.  So we head up on April 4th, the day after my daughter's Senior Day (she's a cheerleading captain, and an abbreviated football season is finally starting here next weekend).  We have an AirBnB apartment right by campus for the month of April, and we'll figure it out from there.  

The good news, and trying to tie it back to the thread, is we're moving to Track Town USA!  Have you guys seen the new Hayward Field?  That place will be the home of most NCAA National Championships and Olympic Trials for the next several decades - so come visit!  It's much more a road/track town and the trail scene is nothing like my beloved Marin, which I'm really gonna miss.  But I will get back to running, and there are enough trails to keep me going for awhile - especially when it's going to be months before I'll be running long again.  And I will be back to Marin regularly to see my daughter during her breaks, and hopefully will be working in some time on the trails when I am.  

Anyway I miss all you fellas and the community we've built in this thread over the years, and really hope you're all doing well.  

GL duck!

I cried, because it always gives me such joy seeing you tear up my old stomping grounds ...and I'll selfishly miss that. But I'm really excited for your next chapter in crazy runner-world OR. 

Wishing you the very best on this. And for a slow and steady return to the running. 

I hit the little star icon to see when the last time I even read this thread was, and there it was - Feb 3rd. That's because why would I be reading a running thread when I'm not running?  Sucks, but is what it is right now.  Not really injured, just overweight, under motivated, and more importantly overwhelmed.  But just wanted to pop in and say I hope you all are still killing it, and give a quick update
It was great to see you and Summit got out to Burdell today.  Great pics.

Sorry to hear life is so chaotic for you right now.  But glad you're finding a path to stay connected with your daughter.  

@Dr_Zaius, you're supposed to start at the lake shore, run up the hill, then take the decline back. Not the other way around...even if your hotel is up here.
Ha ha, thanks!  I try to avoid driving to run whenever I can.  I considered letting you know I’d be out this weekend, but in the end I figured I’d have at least 3 years left to try a non-pandemic cornhole.  When I saw the notification I had a hunch it was you 😆

@SFBayDuck , your post hit me a bit since as Mac noted I’m out visiting my oldest at college.  It was a dust fest when we dropped her off in the fall.  On the one hand, it’s so gratifying to feel a close relationship with a child, but it definitely makes parting rough.

I liked the fit of 10 more than 11 and havent tried the 12 yet. Slam dunk top value/performer shoe for me though especially in what the new stuff costs. New or prior model as a steal compared to $150+  daily trainers. 
:goodposting:

I also like the 10s.  Went through a couple pairs of them and still have one untouched (loaded up when they were $60-$70).

I have a pair of 11s that have very few miles on and they seem fine.  They are sturdier feeling than the 10s but that comes with a bit more weight.  I will probably grab another pair at the prices they are selling at right now.

No idea on the 12s.  I'm happy running in a model or 2 back at half the price.

@-OZ-

:goodposting:

I also like the 10s.  Went through a couple pairs of them and still have one untouched (loaded up when they were $60-$70).

I have a pair of 11s that have very few miles on and they seem fine.  They are sturdier feeling than the 10s but that comes with a bit more weight.  I will probably grab another pair at the prices they are selling at right now.

No idea on the 12s.  I'm happy running in a model or 2 back at half the price.

@-OZ-

If we're in shoe-chat, talk to a newb...I've been loving my Hoka Cliftons. What other shoes are similar? Or do I just stick with these- I need to get another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread