What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Monster 73-mile week for me last week, as the previous weekend's long run got bumped to Monday:

M - 16 at 7:43/mile

T - 7 recovery 7:55/mile

W - Rest

Th - 14 at 7:52/mile

F - 8 (workout) at 7:32/mile

S - 18 at 7:33/mile

S - 5/5 recovery double (8:30/8:19)

Again, I'm looking at this race as a tune-up and springboard for Indy this fall, so my initial thinking is to just go out at 3:10 pace (7:15/mile) and then hopefully drop the hammer the last 6-8 miles for a negative split.  The fact that I was able to run 18 at the end of the week within 20 seconds of GMP should bode pretty well for that.  Who knows if this race will count for Boston 2022 or not (qualifying window not announced yet), but anything under 3:10 gets me a solid BQ-10 given the fact that I'll be 45 next April.

One more week of volume (including my only 20-miler of the cycle), and then I get to taper.  

Your pre-training has been less than ideal. I’m concerned that training will be rough for you. But I guess you’ll ease in.
I know. And no guarantees training will be great either, but the plan is to start. The first 5 weeks of Hanson's are 20ish mile weeks. I'll do those at a minimum and more if possible/interested. 

My fitness still feels ok. And I'm tempering goals/expectations. 

Per email just received from the BAA:

We write to share with you that the Boston Athletic Association has announced if road races are allowed to take place as part of the Massachusetts reopening plan, the 125th Boston Marathon on Monday, October 11, 2021 will feature a field size of 20,000 entrants. Registration for the in-person Boston Marathon will take place the week of April 20-23, 2021, with additional information provided below.
Bigger field than I expected, to be honest.

ETA:  No preferred registration period for BQ-20, BQ-10, etc.  Registration will be open from 10am ET on 4/20 to 5pm ET on 4/23 for anyone with a qualifying time.  Then they'll just take the people who are the furthest below their respective QTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per email just received from the BAA:

Bigger field than I expected, to be honest.

ETA:  No preferred registration period for BQ-20, BQ-10, etc.  Registration will be open from 10am ET on 4/20 to 5pm ET on 4/23 for anyone with a qualifying time.  Then they'll just take the people who are the furthest below their respective QTs.
I've been wondering if they'd make it a US-only race in the fall.  If they keep it international, I'm sure they'll have major precautions in place.  I'll be interested to see the cutoff number (though you and @SteelCurtain will be more interested).  

Monster 73-mile week for me last week, as the previous weekend's long run got bumped to Monday:

W - Rest

Again, I'm looking at this race as a tune-up and springboard for Indy this fall, so my initial thinking is to just go out at 3:10 pace (7:15/mile) and then hopefully drop the hammer the last 6-8 miles for a negative split.  The fact that I was able to run 18 at the end of the week within 20 seconds of GMP should bode pretty well for that.  Who knows if this race will count for Boston 2022 or not (qualifying window not announced yet), but anything under 3:10 gets me a solid BQ-10 given the fact that I'll be 45 next April.

One more week of volume (including my only 20-miler of the cycle), and then I get to taper.  
You just barely beat MY ENTIRE MONTH OF FEBRUARY in 6 days of running.

Question for you... with plans to race the monumental in November, is it possible for me to do a 50 +/- mile hike in early October? We used to day hike different parts of this trail a lot when I was a teen/early 20s. Actually coach used to also take us here occasionally for runs when getting ready for cross country season. About a dozen years ago, I the whole thing North to South in 3 days. I have a friend that has been talking about wanting to do it at some point. Yesterday we were talking and he may be doing this sometime this fall. Basically looking to do it with some pace - we'd go 50 miles +/- from south to North in 2(+?) days - i.e. 20 to 25 miles per day. 

Is this something I could do/fit into training in some manner about a 4 to 6 weeks before the Monumental or is it dumb to even consider? I was a fat, out of shape dude when I did this before and packed poorly (i.e. carried far too much gear). I have wanted to do it again for awhile. Kind of prefer to do it in the spring but this fall may be the more optimal time to plan it out for scheduling (that is other than the monumental...). 

Question for you... with plans to race the monumental in November, is it possible for me to do a 50 +/- mile hike in early October? We used to day hike different parts of this trail a lot when I was a teen/early 20s. Actually coach used to also take us here occasionally for runs when getting ready for cross country season. About a dozen years ago, I the whole thing North to South in 3 days. I have a friend that has been talking about wanting to do it at some point. Yesterday we were talking and he may be doing this sometime this fall. Basically looking to do it with some pace - we'd go 50 miles +/- from south to North in 2(+?) days - i.e. 20 to 25 miles per day. 

Is this something I could do/fit into training in some manner about a 4 to 6 weeks before the Monumental or is it dumb to even consider? I was a fat, out of shape dude when I did this before and packed poorly (i.e. carried far too much gear). I have wanted to do it again for awhile. Kind of prefer to do it in the spring but this fall may be the more optimal time to plan it out for scheduling (that is other than the monumental...). 
If your priority objective is to PR monumental then this is a bad idea. 

I've been wondering if they'd make it a US-only race in the fall.  If they keep it international, I'm sure they'll have major precautions in place.  I'll be interested to see the cutoff number (though you and @SteelCurtain will be more interested).  
I'm not worried at all.  With a field of 20K, I doubt it's anywhere near 10 minutes.

I'm probably going to run another (hilly) marathon exactly 26 days prior to my PR attempt at Indy, so I'm clearly not qualified to give advice on this matter...

If your priority objective is to PR monumental then this is a bad idea. 
Well, since I haven't really recorded one to strava, anything would be a PR! But yeah, hoping to be able to target about 3:30 but that feels like light years away right now. 

I'm probably going to run another (hilly) marathon exactly 26 days prior to my PR attempt at Indy, so I'm clearly not qualified to give advice on this matter...
I want as much info as I can get. Makes it easier to overthink this stuff...

You’re also not a normal human.
:goodposting:

Kind of trying to figure out where it falls on the range of 0 = worst idea ever to 10 = ideal training opportunity. I'm assuming it isn't either of those extremes just not sure where it falls on the continuum. Need to figure that out to decide how it also fits into what I want to do. Doing the hike again at some point rates high on my list of "want tos" but it doesn't have to be this year. 

Maybe try donating blood in the month before your marathon. Pretty sure that will help you run faster too. 

Edit: JK, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try donating blood in the month before your marathon. Pretty sure that will help you run faster too. 

Edit: JK, of course.
:bag:

I'll take all the lumps people want to throw my way but I have felt like a turd for those posts. I've been known to stick my foot in my mouth on many occasions over my life and I keep having to relearn the lesson to think before speaking/posting. I really have been regretting those posts a lot. 

Kind of trying to figure out where it falls on the range of 0 = worst idea ever to 10 = ideal training opportunity. I'm assuming it isn't either of those extremes just not sure where it falls on the continuum. Need to figure that out to decide how it also fits into what I want to do. Doing the hike again at some point rates high on my list of "want tos" but it doesn't have to be this year. 
Identify your priorities and you'll have your answer. This event will impact your training, which will likely impact your marathon performance. Does that matter? Again, it depends on your priorities.

I'll take all the lumps people want to throw my way but I have felt like a turd for those posts. I've been known to stick my foot in my mouth on many occasions over my life and I keep having to relearn the lesson to think before speaking/posting. I really have been regretting those posts a lot. 
I know. I’m sorry. Probably shouldn’t joke like that.

I feel it could be an 8 or 9 ...but it might backfire on you and end up being a 2 or 3.  It can depend on your ability to recover.  

W - Rest

I know we all have this a like, I just wanted to make sure to give it a little extra like.

Ok...thoughts on two HM options...

4/27 in bay ridge brooklyn, 3 loops (1 hour away via subway or water taxi/ferry), probably a little bit of hills but not much, risk of wind by being on the the river.

4/17 in rockaway beach. 2 loops, further away via subway (would be a long trip home on a usually gross subway), pancake flat on beach boardwalk, risk of wind being on the ocean. They ran one on 2/14...I'd have finished top 20 and 3rd in age group (although it was a miserable windy, rainy cold day when they raced, so who knows).

With it later in the season, I think the competition will be tougher to get hardware (which I've never done).

Mostly I'm wondering about the 2 vs 3 loops and any thoughts you guys might have. I prefer p2p or out and back.

4/27 in bay ridge brooklyn, 3 loops (1 hour away via subway or water taxi/ferry), probably a little bit of hills but not much, risk of wind by being on the the river.

4/17 in rockaway beach. 2 loops, further away via subway (would be a long trip home on a usually gross subway), pancake flat on beach boardwalk, risk of wind being on the ocean. They ran one on 2/14...I'd have finished top 20 and 3rd in age group (although it was a miserable windy, rainy cold day when they raced, so who knows).

With it later in the season, I think the competition will be tougher to get hardware (which I've never done).

Mostly I'm wondering about the 2 vs 3 loops and any thoughts you guys might have. I prefer p2p or out and back.
Plan on the first one, make a decision based on weather forecast a week out.

I vote 4/27 and the 3 loops.  Those loops segment the race nicely for you.  Finish the first loop, then you'll be starting the next-to-last loop.  Finish #2 (the loop; not a bear), and you're on familiar ground for that final loop.  

Plan on the first one, make a decision based on weather forecast a week out.
This being NYC, I'm pretty certain these will sell out soon if they haven't already. I don't think I can play it last minute with the other one. 

I vote 4/27 and the 3 loops.  Those loops segment the race nicely for you.  Finish the first loop, then you'll be starting the next-to-last loop.  Finish #2 (the loop; not a bear), and you're on familiar ground for that final loop.  
Leaning this way...and depending on how they do it, one likely loop route is river-side, so completely flat. I like having the option to ferry or subway home afterwards and it being an hour instead of 90 minutes.

It's not much further into brooklyn than where I ran over the weekend. Tempted to citibike it out there and do one loop and run home.

I'm probably in the minority, but FWIW, I took your posts as "You (@JShare87) are crazy for being so hard on yourself for not hitting your A goal, when you had the COVID shot just a couple days before".  

It was a "don't be down" versus "you did something crazy" sentiment.  To me, at least.

:shrug:

I'm probably in the minority, but FWIW, I took your posts as "You (@JShare87) are crazy for being so hard on yourself for not hitting your A goal, when you had the COVID shot just a couple days before".  

It was a "don't be down" versus "you did something crazy" sentiment.  To me, at least.

:shrug:
It was just kind of insensitive and thoughtless of me. My intent was to be a bit funny and to razz him some but overall it was in poor form. At the same time, there is plenty of the quoted part in there. It's still crazy to think what a BMF performance he gave all things considered. 

Heck, I am getting my first shot on Saturday and I'm kind of dreading the 2 baseball scrimmages/evaluations I am scheduled to umpire on Monday and Tuesday. 

Low wind this morning so I tried another 5 mile run at 10K race pace. I did a little better than a few weeks ago (29:18 vs. 29:40) although that was mostly due to the first mile (6:00 today vs. 6:21 last time).

I didn’t do the calendar math and thought my race was in 11 days. Turns out it’s 18 away. Unfortunately that means I should probably run fast at least one more time next week.

I usually run my tempos hard and just like last time this felt more like a tempo than a race effort which is encouraging. I should probably find a 5K to race this spring too since I think I could PR. 

Low wind this morning so I tried another 5 mile run at 10K race pace. I did a little better than a few weeks ago (29:18 vs. 29:40) although that was mostly due to the first mile (6:00 today vs. 6:21 last time).

I didn’t do the calendar math and thought my race was in 11 days. Turns out it’s 18 away. Unfortunately that means I should probably run fast at least one more time next week.

I usually run my tempos hard and just like last time this felt more like a tempo than a race effort which is encouraging. I should probably find a 5K to race this spring too since I think I could PR. 
Saw the time and distance, had to triple check it was M not K for distance. Then saw the poster....checks out.

It was just kind of insensitive and thoughtless of me. My intent was to be a bit funny and to razz him some but overall it was in poor form. At the same time, there is plenty of the quoted part in there. It's still crazy to think what a BMF performance he gave all things considered. 

Heck, I am getting my first shot on Saturday and I'm kind of dreading the 2 baseball scrimmages/evaluations I am scheduled to umpire on Monday and Tuesday. 
All good, GB.

A little blurb from today's "Morning Shakeout" newsletter from Mario Frailoi:

The Boston Athletic Association announced yesterday that this year’s Boston Marathon, which is scheduled to take place on October 11, will have a field of 20,000 runners—about 10,000 less than usual. I have no idea how the B.A.A. landed on 20K but that’s what it’s going to be this year and I expect the demand for a spot will be as high as ever despite the proliferation of races that are slated for this fall. Registration will take place between April 20-23 and the fastest qualifiers in each age group will get priority. Most years around 80% of the bibs are reserved for qualifiers with the rest going to charities, sponsors, etc., so if that holds true in 2021 there will be about 16,000 spots available for qualified runners, making competition pretty tight. The cutoff for last year’s Boston Marathon (that obviously didn’t happen), which was to feature an expanded field size of 31,500 runners, was 1 minute and 39 seconds. In 2019, with a field size of 30,000, it was 4:52. I expect this year will be the toughest in recent memory by a long shot. How far under the cut-off will one need to be to be accepted into the race? All I can do is guess but I wouldn’t be breathing easy unless I was more than 10 minutes under the qualifying time for my age group. (I fully admit that I could be dead wrong but I think people will be excited to race, the novelty of an October Boston is appealing to many—including yours truly—and, it’s Boston.)

A little blurb from today's "Morning Shakeout" newsletter from Mario Frailoi:

he Boston Athletic Association announced yesterday that this year’s Boston Marathon, which is scheduled to take place on October 11, will have a field of 20,000 runners—about 10,000 less than usual. I have no idea how the B.A.A. landed on 20K but that’s what it’s going to be this year and I expect the demand for a spot will be as high as ever despite the proliferation of races that are slated for this fall. Registration will take place between April 20-23 and the fastest qualifiers in each age group will get priority. Most years around 80% of the bibs are reserved for qualifiers with the rest going to charities, sponsors, etc., so if that holds true in 2021 there will be about 16,000 spots available for qualified runners, making competition pretty tight. The cutoff for last year’s Boston Marathon (that obviously didn’t happen), which was to feature an expanded field size of 31,500 runners, was 1 minute and 39 seconds. In 2019, with a field size of 30,000, it was 4:52. I expect this year will be the toughest in recent memory by a long shot. How far under the cut-off will one need to be to be accepted into the race? All I can do is guess but I wouldn’t be breathing easy unless I was more than 10 minutes under the qualifying time for my age group. (I fully admit that I could be dead wrong but I think people will be excited to race, the novelty of an October Boston is appealing to many—including yours truly—and, it’s Boston.)
Wouldn't you expect less than 80% of the bibs to be qualifiers this year?  I would think most of the sponsor and charity spots would stay, which would disproportionately shrink the qualifier group. 

Regardless, if you had the distribution of qualifying times you could make a decent guess of the cutoff under different scenarios.  I didn't have much luck searching for that data, though.

Any good 3-5 mile runs in the St. Pete area?
I've only been in the area once, but I really enjoyed the vibe along St. Pete Beach (rte 699).  I looked on Google Maps, and that road seems to have sidewalk the whole length.  You could also hop down and run along the beach.  (Caution: On my last long beach run in Gulfport, MS, I ran barefoot and ended up with blisters on every toe from not being acclimated.)

I've only been in the area once, but I really enjoyed the vibe along St. Pete Beach (rte 699).  I looked on Google Maps, and that road seems to have sidewalk the whole length.  You could also hop down and run along the beach.  (Caution: On my last long beach run in Gulfport, MS, I ran barefoot and ended up with blisters on every toe from not being acclimated.)
I do beach running in the summer, and a few years ago I started buying sand socks.  Not the most stylish looking, and they probably only last 100-150 miles before you wear through them, but I haven't had any issues with blisters wearing them, and they also protect you from any stray shells you might land on.

For running truly barefoot, not only do you have to get acclimated, but I learned the hard way that different beaches will affect your feet differently.  I can go 4 or 5 miles barefoot at the Delaware beaches before the blisters really start forming, but I tried running barefoot in New Smyrna Beach, FL, and I actually tore my feet open after about 2.5 miles.

If we're in shoe-chat, talk to a newb...I've been loving my Hoka Cliftons. What other shoes are similar? Or do I just stick with these- I need to get another pair.
Just catching up now.  I'm a huge fan of the Cliftons.  Other shoes I run in Mizuno Waverider, Brooks Ghost and Brooks Launch (for speed sessions).

Seems if you have a shoe you love, stick with it.  I liked my Cliftons but they went flat after 400ish miles.  Which isn't horrible, but I have other shoes that are still holding up after 600-700 miles.
Interesting.  I have the exact opposite experience. My cliftons will last 600 miles while others at 400 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread