What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

For those of you experienced Hanson folks, and really all you guys, a quick question.

When running the marathon pace runs, he talks about running it at your goal marathon pace. But if running those, what if your heart rate is trending more in what you would see as your known half-marathon heart rate?

For example, my goal marathon pace is 9:00. If I run 6 miles at a 9:00 pace, my heart rate is pushing the lower end of what my normal half-marathon heart rate would be. So do I:

1. Adjust my goal marathon pace to match what I know about my heart rate?

2. Continue to train at the goal I want to hit and by the time race comes after 19 weeks on this plan my body should be ready to hit that goal pace?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you experienced Hanson folks, and really all you guys, a quick question.

When running the marathon pace runs, he talks about running it at your goal marathon pace. But if running those, what if your heart rate is trending more in what you would see as your known half-marathon heart rate?

For example, my goal marathon pace is 9:00. If I run 6 miles at a 9:00 pace, my heart rate is pushing the lower end of what my normal half-marathon heart rate would be. So do I:

2. Continue to train at the goal I want to hit and by the time race comes after 19 weeks on this plan my body should be ready to hit that goal pace?
It’s more #2 than 1 above but goal race pace should be derived from a recent race result if possible. Pretty sure there is a chunk in the book about HR and here is an article from the HMM folks https://hansonscoachingservices.com/updated-thoughts-on-heart-rate/

But using a recent race result produces the various training paces including the tempo (marathon) pace and takes out the guesswork.  I paid attention to HR on the tempo runs after the run to see where it was relative to how I felt.  I paid no attention to HR on speed or strength runs at paces faster than marathon pace. 

It’s more #2 than 1 above but goal race pace should be derived from a recent race result if possible. Pretty sure there is a chunk in the book about HR and here is an article from the HMM folks https://hansonscoachingservices.com/updated-thoughts-on-heart-rate/

But using a recent race result produces the various training paces including the tempo (marathon) pace and takes out the guesswork.  I paid attention to HR on the tempo runs after the run to see where it was relative to how I felt.  I paid no attention to HR on speed or strength runs at paces faster than marathon pace. 
What I like in that link is the idea of looking at HR after the training run ...collect the data, but don't let the HR drive the workout.  So that would mean option #2.   

#2.  You'll know by week 12, 13, 14 if you can handle the paces you are shooting for.  The legs will have the cumulative fatigue at that point.  Trust the process. 

If you need to down the road, you can back off the paces, but if you are able to execute them (ignore the HR) then keep on going.

Started running a few weeks ago and figure I'll do one of those little Turkey Trot deals.  I'll run 5 miles a couple of times a week but it's on again off again stuff, never consistent.  Anyway, ran 6.2 today for the first time in awhile.  Took me a sloth-like 54 mins or about 8:40 a mile.

I know nothing about proper training so I thought I'd ask here.  What's the best way to get my time down down in the next week.  I'm 50 and would like to finish ahead of my much younger nieces and nephews, if possible, ha!   Here's my complete guess at "training" this next week.  Feel free to mock and point:

THU:  Rest???  (ran 5 last Wed and another 5 Mon, nothing TUE and 6.2 today)

FRI:  7 miles

SAT:  5

SUN:  Rest/??? (going to the Chargers game)

MON:  6

TUE:  4

WED:  Rest???

THU:  Family Champ Turkey Dinner

Started running a few weeks ago and figure I'll do one of those little Turkey Trot deals.  I'll run 5 miles a couple of times a week but it's on again off again stuff, never consistent.  Anyway, ran 6.2 today for the first time in awhile.  Took me a sloth-like 54 mins or about 8:40 a mile.

I know nothing about proper training so I thought I'd ask here.  What's the best way to get my time down down in the next week.  I'm 50 and would like to finish ahead of my much younger nieces and nephews, if possible, ha!   Here's my complete guess at "training" this next week.  Feel free to mock and point:

THU:  Rest???  (ran 5 last Wed and another 5 Mon, nothing TUE and 6.2 today)

FRI:  7 miles

SAT:  5

SUN:  Rest/??? (going to the Chargers game)

MON:  6

TUE:  4

WED:  Rest???

THU:  Family Champ Turkey Dinner
Is your race a 5K?

The standard advice for race week is to err on the side of rest and make sure you’re fresh over trying to eek out trying to gain a little more fitness. Considering your recent training, I think you should cut back on mileage from your plan, especially that Monday run.  Also, try to make sure you run at an easy pace. It’s hard for me to recommend exactly how much you should cut. If you feel fatigued after your runs and on rest days, maybe cut those distances in half. If you’re feeling relatively fresh, cut them less.

10K.  I guess I'll cut back then.  How's this:

TH:R

FRI:7 (or 6?)

SAT:4

SUN:R

MON:4 (or 5?)

TUE:3 (2 if I do 5 MON)

WED:R

BTW, I usually never run back-to-back days, ever.  Maybe I should stick with a day off (Fri, Sun, Tue), giving me only 3 more runs???  Anyway, thanks!

What I like in that link is the idea of looking at HR after the training run ...collect the data, but don't let the HR drive the workout.  So that would mean option #2.   

#2.  You'll know by week 12, 13, 14 if you can handle the paces you are shooting for.  The legs will have the cumulative fatigue at that point.  Trust the process. 

If you need to down the road, you can back off the paces, but if you are able to execute them (ignore the HR) then keep on going.
Awesome. Thanks guys.  :thumbup:

A few thoughts floating around these days...

First, a feel good story. Went to a memorial service for my high school track/cross country coach that passed away a couple weeks ago. It was amazing to see the number of lives he touched. They had the service outside at the track of the HS he had been coaching at the last few years (he had retired from teaching at my school but couldn't quit coaching...). It was a cool but not unpleasant 50 degrees +/- day this past Sunday. The stands were filled with students and runners he has worked with over the previous 30 or 40 years. On the one hand it was fun to see how many other people besides me had such strong feelings for and memories of Coach K. On the other it was extremely humbling to realize the impact he made on the world around him. Kind of made me think of the limited impact I have had and makes me want to try harder in terms of "making the world a better place". 

He also had a ton of memorabilia and stats he saved over he years. There was a tent set up with old team photos, etc. He also had these huge folders - one for track and one for XC that went all they way back to when I was in school. He tracked every practice, meet, etc, and was completely dedicated to knowing what each person needed to stretch themselves. It was quite impressive to think of the time and effort spent when you know he was not really being compensated for that kind of effort. It was also fun to see that I had cheated myself out of 2 seconds of time but a little depressing to see that I missed breaking the 18 minute mark for a 5K by a mere 2 seconds. My best time, per his record book, was an 18:01 long, long ago!

On the smaller, personal training scale... still having fun with this. It's some kind of combo of trying to put miles on my legs, trying to take weight off my frame, and trying to push myself to see how far I can stretch the limits. Getting dark at about 5 pm here kind of sucks as does work being a little crazy as the holidays approach. With that, went to the gym with my wife last night since I didn't get to go out earlier in the day. In general, I'm not a huge fan of running on the treadmill. The good part is it keeping the pace for me and I just have to keep my feet moving. With the goal of wanting to run a 1:45 half next spring, I figured I would bump things up a little for a 3 mile run - partially cause I'm also doing a 5K race on Saturday and want to see what I am capable of trying to push. Ran the first 2 miles last night at 8:34 pace (7.0 miles and hour), the bump it up to run the 3rd mile at an 8:00 pace (7.5 miles).

Was able to do it, at least with the tread mill forcing the pace, and it felt pretty good and my heart rate seemed to be at a reasonable level. Actually plan to do a little research in a bit on the whole heart rate thing. I recall tracking that back in the day, etc but not really sure what my goals should be and/or what it actually tells me in terms of effort, verses sustainability, etc. Time for some research, imo. 

@Rodrigo Duterte just for some context - I'm also doing a turkey trot.  I usually run for at least 10 consecutive days and have done upwards of 20 and 30 - my off days are usually lifting days but I will do a total rest day once every couple-few months.  Miles per week has generally been in the low-mid 40's with 1-2 double digit mileage runs per week.  This is my schedule beginning last Friday.

F- low intensity lift + easy 4 mile run

Sa- 5 easy trail miles

Su- 8 miles, building up to 5K pace halfway then gradually slowing down to finish

M- easy 4 miles

Tu- low intensity lift

W- crisp 6 miles

Today - low intensity lift

Tomorrow- easy 3-4 miles

Sa- crisp 5-6 miles

Su- easy 3-4 miles

M- rest

Tu- shakeout 2-3 miles

W- rest

Th- race

If you look at the whole 2 weeks I'm basically cutting my previous weekly mileage in half.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm on the extreme end of the total mileage spectrum wrt race prep, but the others in here practice with a similar approach - just not with as much cutting back as I.  Nothing wrong with continuing every other day, but at this point it's just about staying crisp - if you are putting forth hard efforts you're more likely to negatively impact race day then positively.

I wish I could say I'm super excited for it.  I'm going to run it but my motivation is lacking a bit.  There are so many unknowns that I just haven't adequately prepared for.  I haven't run much on trails.  I haven't practiced my nutrition.  I just bought a pack (off Amazon...to be delivered TODAY!) which will likely be worn once for a 4 mile run before race day. 

All that being said, I think my legs have it in them and that's hopefully the most important.  My goal is to try to negative split this race, which sounds crazy, but the hardest part is the first 16 miles.  Then its easier.

Weather looks decent which is good (low of 30...high of 47.  Sunny).  I'll probably wear a few throwaway things for the first 5-10 miles until the air temp rises and my body temp goes up a little. 

I originally was focused on a time goal of 8-10 hours, but I think I need to back off of that and just run fun and easy.  Let's see where I'm at 30 miles in.  I'm now really wanting to negative split this even if that means I'm over 10 hours.  Again, my first ultra so this is uncharted territory for me.

Appreciate you asking and I'll post tracking information on Friday at some point.

Taper for 50 miler sucks just as much as tapering for 26.2.  :)
Good luck.

I wouldn't be so focused on a negative split.  This course will dictate it regardless, so saying you negative split it really won't be accurate.  Similar to running Boston with with a 40 pound pack for the first 13.1 at an 8:00 mi pace and then dropping the pack running the second half at a 7:50 pace and saying you negative spit the race.

I wouldn't go crazy at the start, but I wouldn't hold back to the point that you get stuck behind people on the trail where it might be difficult to pass and force you to run at a slower pace than your comfortable.  If you're an 8:00 min guy slow down to a 9:00 pace at the start, your going to get stuck behind all the 9:30 guys "sanding" the start and have to pick your way around them on the trail.

Looking back at the Umstead results run on a loop, the top finishers don't negative split.  They don't go out and fall off a cliff, but the pace gradually erodes.

Good luck.

I wouldn't be so focused on a negative split.  This course will dictate it regardless, so saying you negative split it really won't be accurate.  Similar to running Boston with with a 40 pound pack for the first 13.1 at an 8:00 mi pace and then dropping the pack running the second half at a 7:50 pace and saying you negative spit the race.

I wouldn't go crazy at the start, but I wouldn't hold back to the point that you get stuck behind people on the trail where it might be difficult to pass and force you to run at a slower pace than your comfortable.  If you're an 8:00 min guy slow down to a 9:00 pace at the start, your going to get stuck behind all the 9:30 guys "sanding" the start and have to pick your way around them on the trail.

Looking back at the Umstead results run on a loop, the top finishers don't negative split.  They don't go out and fall off a cliff, but the pace gradually erodes.
I agree with this, but there's one component of @SteelCurtain's training that sits on the other side of my brain.  Him not doing any real trail running.  I don't foresee this being an issue on the way up - more than likely he'll be frustrated with those in front of him, as you said.  But the way down on the switch backs?  Different story.  And I won't pretend to know what sorta conditions they may or may not be in, but just from casual weather observation me thinks it could be a bit of a mess.  But is it the type of trail that runs off and drains fairly quickly?  :shrug:  Things I would be thinking about though.

MAC_32 said:
Now's not the time to start.  Nothing you can do fitness-wise at this point to better your performance - rest, diet, and stress management are the priorities.
Agreed.  @Rodrigo Duterte, I like the 7 miler tomorrow ...give yourself the confidence you can do more than a 10K.  A few more miles on Saturday would be good to stress the legs a bit ...but then let them recover.  Maybe 4 miles on Tuesday with some accelerations to stretch the legs a bit ...but that'd be it.  MAC is right - you really can't improve in the final week before a race.  Your pace is decent, so don't be apologetic for it.  And when you do the race, the race energy will give an extra boost, especially over the last half-mile or so.

I look forward to your first half-marathon.

MAC_32 said:
I agree with this, but there's one component of @SteelCurtain's training that sits on the other side of my brain.  Him not doing any real trail running.  I don't foresee this being an issue on the way up - more than likely he'll be frustrated with those in front of him, as you said.  But the way down on the switch backs?  Different story.  And I won't pretend to know what sorta conditions they may or may not be in, but just from casual weather observation me thinks it could be a bit of a mess.  But is it the type of trail that runs off and drains fairly quickly?  :shrug:  Things I would be thinking about though.
All good questions.  I've heard the first 16 miles are pretty technical and hilly.  I need to just take it nice and easy on that section.  Then it becomes a pretty flat non technical trail.

Just finished my work in Philly area.  I have about a 30 mile drive to my hotel for tonight before I head to Maryland tomorrow for expo and night before race hotel.  Of course, its a raging snowstorm here and a 30 mile drive is supposed to take nearly 2 hours right now.  Does Pennsylvania have plows?!?!?  :censored: :rant: :wall:

In any event, I've pulled off and will chill out and work at this Panera until the traffic thins out and maybe a plow or two can get out on the roads. 

#TaperStress!

My June 29 steroid injection is really petering out now.  I got a minor, but same old same old, strain in the calf after this weekend's back-to-back runs.  I still got light runs in this week and it seems like that strain is mostly done.  I thought I was smart by planning my next injection ahead of when I really need it, but my MD has first available appt in mid-December.  Seems like a long time away unfortunately. 

I would like to squeeze in one more race (5k or 10k) before year runs out and it seems like T'giving has a few turkey trots around here. I'm gonna watch the weather and if it looks good, I'll jump in a cheap race in the area. 

@SteelCurtain snow has stopped in eastern Maryland so hopefully drive ( and race) conditions are improving. 

I was just looking at the jfk website, so it’s a 15.5 mile trail run followed by a flattish marathon and a road 10ishK    :shock:

You got this!  Good luck!

Agreed.  @Rodrigo Duterte, I like the 7 miler tomorrow ...give yourself the confidence you can do more than a 10K.  A few more miles on Saturday would be good to stress the legs a bit ...but then let them recover.  Maybe 4 miles on Tuesday with some accelerations to stretch the legs a bit ...but that'd be it.  MAC is right - you really can't improve in the final week before a race.  Your pace is decent, so don't be apologetic for it.  And when you do the race, the race energy will give an extra boost, especially over the last half-mile or so.

I look forward to your first half-marathon.
:lmao:   

So okay, I'll do 7 tomorrow.  I'm not at all worried about finishing, I've run 10Ks before, I was just thinking an extra mile would do me good.  I'll follow your advise and do some more on Saturday.  I NEVER run 3 times in 4 days, plus I'm running further than normal, so I think SUN and MON off is a good call.  And since I also never run in the morning, Tuesday morning is the perfect time to do one, two days before the race.  Okay, I'm set, I like the plan, thanks all for the help.

BTW, I know you guys say I can't improve in the final week but whenever I get back into running, I see my times start going down around W2 or 3, and that's right where I'm at, so I expect to shave maybe 20 seconds a mile off that 8:40 pace.  That's my goal anyway.

OH, and I would never do a half-marathon (at least not a race that is), it will be all or nothing!

BTW, I know you guys say I can't improve in the final week but whenever I get back into running, I see my times start going down around W2 or 3, and that's right where I'm at, so I expect to shave maybe 20 seconds a mile off that 8:40 pace.  
Going from a state of inactivity to activity is a completely different subject  There's a lot you can read to see where we're coming from, but this is a good start - https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/how-long-before-you-benefit-from-a-workout/

WATCHES/HR MONITORS
Garmin 105, 305, 405, 605, 910
TomTom Runner Cardio or multisport (built in HR monitor - no chest strap needed)
Mio Fuse HR monitor - strap on wrist instead of chest

Talk to me Goose... Currently just have a fitbit but would like to get something more - namely have the GPS built into the watch, etc. Plan is to put it on my Christmas wish list. Is there something more in depth around here than just listing some options? I was browsing the Garmin web site to look at some of the differences but not really sure what I should want here. I don't want to get one and then soon be thinking "wish I had gotten X instead". 

Talk to me Goose... Currently just have a fitbit but would like to get something more - namely have the GPS built into the watch, etc. Plan is to put it on my Christmas wish list. Is there something more in depth around here than just listing some options? I was browsing the Garmin web site to look at some of the differences but not really sure what I should want here. I don't want to get one and then soon be thinking "wish I had gotten X instead". 
Here's your guy:  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Air quality is worse the past few days than it was this weekend, so no running at all going on.  My whole FB feed is seemingly full of Bay Area runners bemoaning the inability to get out on the trails.  Which of course means nothing compared to what those personally impacted by the fires is going through.  Sucks all around.

Welp.  After 3 hours at a Panera and the 30 mile drive continues to be a 2 hour trek, I'll shut it down and stay here in Langhorne.

Guessing @pbm107 doesn't live near here?  Wanna grab dinner?  :)
I’m about 30 minutes away from there in normal traffic, but not with the road conditions today. If I didn’t have to stay home with kids I’d be over there. Good luck this weekend, you’ve got this.

bushdocda said:
Just got into this part of the book today, and it was a bit of an eye opener. My last half was 1:51, so based on the charts in the book I should be running paces as if my marathon goal is 3:43 to 3:50 - not 3:59, which is my original goal. 

And I know I am in WAY better shape now than where I was in the spring. So I may need to rethink things here. And my heart rate data is really close to supporting a change in my goal. 

Thanks for suggesting the recent race idea - would not have paid as much attention to that part of the chart if you hadn’t suggested that.

Need some injury advice.  I'm not sure how it happened, but I did a tempo run on Wednesday night.  Everything during my run was totally fine, felt great actually.  I might have gone harder than I should have, but only for maybe a mile or 2.  

Anyways, I get back to the house and I'm halfway stretching in the kitchen.  There is still nothing out of the norm.  Probably 10 minutes after getting back to the house I leaned on my counter talking the the wife and kids for a few minutes.  As soon as I pushed myself  from leaning on the counter I felt this instant sharp pain in my upper hamstring/glut area (I'm no doctor, so its where the ### meets the leg).  

I took yesterday off and felt a good bit better.  I missed an easy 3 mile run on Thursday so I figure thats a good one to make up today.  I felt okay getting up and ready, but after about a mile it got painful again.  

I have a lot of running on my plan between now and the Dec 1st HM.  You guys think this is just a pulled muscle that 3-4 days rest will cure?  Didn't know if the fact that it was an instant sharp pain suggested it was more than just a pulled muscle.  

I didn't stretch at all before that tempo run...just kind of eased into it.   

Need some injury advice.  I'm not sure how it happened, but I did a tempo run on Wednesday night.  Everything during my run was totally fine, felt great actually.  I might have gone harder than I should have, but only for maybe a mile or 2.  

Anyways, I get back to the house and I'm halfway stretching in the kitchen.  There is still nothing out of the norm.  Probably 10 minutes after getting back to the house I leaned on my counter talking the the wife and kids for a few minutes.  As soon as I pushed myself  from leaning on the counter I felt this instant sharp pain in my upper hamstring/glut area (I'm no doctor, so its where the ### meets the leg).  

I took yesterday off and felt a good bit better.  I missed an easy 3 mile run on Thursday so I figure thats a good one to make up today.  I felt okay getting up and ready, but after about a mile it got painful again.  

I have a lot of running on my plan between now and the Dec 1st HM.  You guys think this is just a pulled muscle that 3-4 days rest will cure?  Didn't know if the fact that it was an instant sharp pain suggested it was more than just a pulled muscle.  

I didn't stretch at all before that tempo run...just kind of eased into it.   
Muscle pulls usually happen during activity; not after.  Is there bruising?  If no then it's likely not a pull/sprain.  When was the last time you net 450+ miles across 4 1/2 months?  You've developed quite the training base since August and what you're going through may just be a product of overuse - just from what you described my mind went to your back/sciatica.  Not saying it is, you'd need to get it checked out to confirm/deny.  Definitely give it at least a couple-few days before running again, but just being 2 weeks out from the race mentally I'd plan to just start the taper a little early.  Ultimately, just remember you'll be best off toeing the line over tapered and healthier than the alternative.

Muscle pulls usually happen during activity; not after.  Is there bruising?  If no then it's likely not a pull/sprain.  When was the last time you net 450+ miles across 4 1/2 months?  You've developed quite the training base since August and what you're going through may just be a product of overuse - just from what you described my mind went to your back/sciatica.  Not saying it is, you'd need to get it checked out to confirm/deny.  Definitely give it at least a couple-few days before running again, but just being 2 weeks out from the race mentally I'd plan to just start the taper a little early.  Ultimately, just remember you'll be best off toeing the line over tapered and healthier than the alternative.
I'm undoubtedly in uncharted territory with my recent mileage.  Choosing the training plan I did might have been a bad idea in hindsight.   Its been a steady 20-25 mile a week since August, which I haven't done since in 5 years, at least not on a regular basis.  

I looked over the symptoms of the sciatica nerve and I can't say that many apply.  Theres no back or hip pain.  Just the sharp shooting pain, but it goes away if I take an aleve.  Who knows?!!?!?

1 day off seemed to help a good bit.  Hopefully 3-4 days will do the trick.  Its frustrating cause things were going so well.  Tomorrow was supposed to be 11 miles, then the next sat was 12.  I was going to try and stretch both out a little bit more.  I know I can handle the 13.1 distance, just wanted to train above it a time or two.  This half was more of a launching point  for me.  Kind of wanted to set the bar again for myself.  Not like I've put 2 years into a BQ attempt.  I'd rather be cautious.

I appreciate the input.  

Could also be muscle tightness.  Look up piriformis stretching and see if that reproduces the pain.
I've never heard that term, but I've always called it "figure four"  leg stretch.  I have attempted to stretch like that and the left side is noticeably tighter and the pain is definitely there when I do it.  

Could also be muscle tightness.  Look up piriformis stretching and see if that reproduces the pain.
For the record, I get pain in the same area (although not as severe as @jb1020) and I think the piriformis stretch helps.  That stretch also seems to help hip pain that I get from time to time.

I'm undoubtedly in uncharted territory with my recent mileage.  Choosing the training plan I did might have been a bad idea in hindsight.   Its been a steady 20-25 mile a week since August, which I haven't done since in 5 years, at least not on a regular basis.  

I looked over the symptoms of the sciatica nerve and I can't say that many apply.  Theres no back or hip pain.  Just the sharp shooting pain, but it goes away if I take an aleve.  Who knows?!!?!?

1 day off seemed to help a good bit.  Hopefully 3-4 days will do the trick.  Its frustrating cause things were going so well.  Tomorrow was supposed to be 11 miles, then the next sat was 12.  I was going to try and stretch both out a little bit more.  I know I can handle the 13.1 distance, just wanted to train above it a time or two.  This half was more of a launching point  for me.  Kind of wanted to set the bar again for myself.  Not like I've put 2 years into a BQ attempt.  I'd rather be cautious.

I appreciate the input.  
Nah, @Hang 10 once wrote to me scared money don't make money.  Same applies here.  Go for it.  And you did.  However things shake out between now and sometime the morning of Dec 1 you've made tremendous progress and will benefit when it comes time to begin your next training cycle.

I've never heard that term, but I've always called it "figure four"  leg stretch.  I have attempted to stretch like that and the left side is noticeably tighter and the pain is definitely there when I do it.  
If so, that's likely it.  If that's all it is, you can probably still run as long as you can tolerate it, but as @MAC_32 pointed out, you're better off under trained and healthy than vice versa so no reason to overdo it. 

Stretch it out and it'll get better if that's all it is.  I've had it, although mild (more of an ache), and it never held me back.  Just a few days of stretching/massage and it was gone.

thanks guys...I'll take a long weekend off of running and get some rest.  I'll ease into the race.  I already feel better about it....gonna go with it just being muscle tightness.

Good luck @Steel Curtain!
Only thing I'd add on to the advice above is to ease into the stretching and don't overdo it.  It hasn't happened often, but I've occasionally turned a minor strain into a major one by doing aggressive stretching.  

Only thing I'd add on to the advice above is to ease into the stretching and don't overdo it.  It hasn't happened often, but I've occasionally turned a minor strain into a major one by doing aggressive stretching.  
Oh I definitely feel the "stopping point" when stretching the past couple of days.  

This is a great link but... there's a lot of freaking choices out there in terms of features, etc. Really not sure which way I want to go.
What do you want in terms of features and are you using anything now?  Quick thoughts on parsing the offerings might be:

-Music yes/no

-wrist HR or would you sync a HR straps or don’t care about Hr

-mega battery life like in the crazy Garmins/suuntos that ultra and iron people use

-Touchscreen or buttons

-brand - lots to choose from and options from each these days

-application and integration

-what you want to spend $

I have been pleased with Garmin 235 and covet a fenix5.  I don’t look much at the other brands to know what they have or what is new.  Saw Garmin has a music holder one now that Id consider against a fenix when I’m ready.  And I probably should get a HR strap for the amount of times my wrist reading takes a ####. 

What do you want in terms of features and are you using anything now?  Quick thoughts on parsing the offerings might be:

-Music yes/no

-wrist HR or would you sync a HR straps or don’t care about Hr

-mega battery life like in the crazy Garmins/suuntos that ultra and iron people use

-Touchscreen or buttons

-brand - lots to choose from and options from each these days

-application and integration

-what you want to spend $

I have been pleased with Garmin 235 and covet a fenix5.  I don’t look much at the other brands to know what they have or what is new.  Saw Garmin has a music holder one now that Id consider against a fenix when I’m ready.  And I probably should get a HR strap for the amount of times my wrist reading takes a ####. 
Just an FYI, I picked up a 235 for me as well a few weeks ago. HR on it has been funky for a few runs so I called Garmin. We did a reset on the watch and will see if that works. If not, they'll replace it.

In the meantime, though, they sent me a free chest strap to try. I'm going to give that a go and if it's not my cup of tea, I'll let you know :)

i just need to actually run, unfortunately first :(

Welp.  Here it is.  I'm at my hotel.  Stopped by the small expo.  Got my bib #975.

The course had 6-8" of snow and it hasn't melted from what I can see.  It will be an interesting first trail race for me.  Goal is to be smart on the first 16 miles where it can be hilly and technical.  Once I'm upright after that stretch, it will be 26 miles on a towpath.  Not technical and I can hopefully pick up the pace a bit but I've heard it can get pretty muddy.  Then the final stretch (8 miles) in on some rolling hills. 

I don't have a time goal.  I'm going to just be smart.  I'll be honest, I'm nervous about this one.  Dreading it sort of.  Hopefully once I get there, get in a groove, and zone out, I'll have fun.  I'll post tracking info early tomorrow AM.

Time to go eat some pasta!

Users who are viewing this thread