What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Correct with a caveat - at some point the light may turn on without notice.  7th grade cross country was just going through the motions with as little effort as possible for me.  I wanted to play football, but an injury caused doc's not to clear me so I was just trying to stay in shape for basketball.  On long run days coach would send us out for 45 minutes on the trails and we'd go 3 mins out on the trail then bushwhack to our friends house beside the park then return 40 minutes later.  Sometimes I'd try on race day and other times I wouldn't. I was usually between 5th and 7th on the team and was comfortable there.  Then the first day of track practice in spring we were tasked with two half mile repeats on pavement in a different park.  But now I was in shape from basketball.  I finished the first one to some puzzled looks from our coaches.  Ten I turned around and realized I was about 30-45 seconds in front of everyone - 8th grader's included.  Now with expectations set on myself I put forth focused effort on #2 and did it again.  And that carried forward from there.

tl;dr - stay positive and keep him active, sprinkle in some competitive spirit commentary on occasion but it may be beneficial to not do it during the actual running.  If he wants to compete then he will.  It'll be on his own timeline though.
Exactly.  I posted quickly while leaving work, but that's true (not just for running but for anything).

My son has some decent soccer skills.  Great footwork and speed when he wants.  But, for years, he never had that fire or desire to work hard.  He never made runs without the ball.  To clarify, he'd make the runs, but at like 80-90% effort so it never really mattered.

This year, for whatever reason, he finally started putting in the effort and the work.  Scored 5 goals over 4 games (mostly from a MF position) and started loving it.  No explanation as to what happened other than it did.  Part of it, I'm sure, was he started running cross country as well and the increased fitness made it easier for him.  But either way, it didn't matter what I said or his coaches said or anything...it had to come from him and one day it just did. 

So just let him have fun with it to whatever extent that is.  There's a fine line between giving a little push and making him hate it.  At the same time, there's a fine line between stepping back and letting kids decide they want to give up.  Ah, the joys......

I'm kind of happy where my heart rate seems to be these days.  I ran 20 miles at averages of 7:34/129 Saturday.  It rose some at the end -- probably not helped by running fasted without water.  This morning I took it easy since some lower abdomen muscles are sore (kind of did a hobby jogger run) and averaged 8:36/114.  I'm pretty sure that's my lowest HR on a run ever.
Congrats on your first recovery run, seriously though you're in really good shape right now with the 5K PR, the 20 miler, and some of your other recent runs.

I'm kind of happy where my heart rate seems to be these days.  I ran 20 miles at averages of 7:34/129 Saturday.  It rose some at the end -- probably not helped by running fasted without water.  This morning I took it easy since some lower abdomen muscles are sore (kind of did a hobby jogger run) and averaged 8:36/114.  I'm pretty sure that's my lowest HR on a run ever.
Oh, and :lmao: @ the bolded.  I missed that the first time around.  

New shtick here?

I did an 8:30-paced run this morning.  :kicksrock:    :finger:     :hifive:

gianmarco said:
I thought it was obvious I was kidding.

But winds today were 20 mph with gusts that were higher and it happened to pick up when I was running into it. It was actually pushing me off the sidewalk at one point. 

Just let me complain about the weather in peace.
I just checked the weather.  Yes, winds were 18-20 mph with 30mph gusts yesterday.  Having not run in this weather much, that wasn't easy for me but maybe you guys are used to that. 

I will say the other day running in the upper 20's with only about 8-10mph winds (and no gusts) felt significantly better than yesterday with temps in the 40's and the (strong) gusts of wind.

I just checked the weather.  Yes, winds were 18-20 mph with 30mph gusts yesterday.  Having not run in this weather much, that wasn't easy for me but maybe you guys are used to that. 

I will say the other day running in the upper 20's with only about 8-10mph winds (and no gusts) felt significantly better than yesterday with temps in the 40's and the (strong) gusts of wind.
I had a pretty bad run a number of weeks ago due in part to me trying to maintain pace into the wind.  I share your hatred of it.

It isn't pleasant, but at least for me between now and March it depends on what my alternatives are the rest of the week.  Sometimes what you experienced is as good as it's going to get and other week's it'll be the worst option.  Set out your goals for the week then map it out based on your schedule first and mother nature second.  If you can achieve a goal and dodge a day like yesterday then by all means.  I wouldn't get your hopes up though.  40's and gusty wind may get an evil eye from you December 2, but it'll probably be welcomed relief come February 2.

When I'm biking, wind does impact my decision to go out or not, but wind has never affected my running plans. Not that it doesn't impact performance, but I've never found it that bothersome to go into the wind.  

Someone asked me about Training Masks.  I'd never heard of them.  Even after spending 15 minutes reading about them, I still have no earthly idea what this is all about and how they work.  

Someone asked me about Training Masks.  I'd never heard of them.  Even after spending 15 minutes reading about them, I still have no earthly idea what this is all about and how they work.  
That’s because they don’t.  At least not based on anything I’ve read or heard.  They definitely aren’t effective for altitude training.  They may strengthen the muscles used in breathing, but that’s not really a limiting factor in running.  

When it's windy, I often choose which direction I'll head off in so I can get some of the "wind miles" out of the way early. I'll also do some winding to increase the percentage of crosswind.
The impact of wind on a runner is directly correlated to the runner’s size/body type. I’m surprised skinny dudes like you and @tri-man 47 even feel it. 

@gianmarco, I was just busting your balls the other day. Wind is the suck...a close third behind heat and humidity as far as ####ty running conditions go.

gianmarco said:
That's ridiculous.  I have a higher HR just thinking about your HR.
:goodposting:

I've been paying more attention to mine, and my heart definitely works more than yours at a slower pace. One of these days... 

What's the crowd's take on how a treadmill run compares to the "real world"? With the dark coming early and questionable weather, I've taken to going to the Y with my wife - she heads off to a class, I go run on the treadmill followed up by body weight stuff (push ups, sit ups, etc). I've never been a huge fan but it is keeping me moving when I'd often make excuses not to do anything. Also kind of like the fact that I can force a certain pace - as compared to real world have to pay attention so that I'm not going too hard or too slow for what I plan (although staying at a given pace has always been a strength of mine). 

Again, for the most part just happy to be doing something, just not sure if there is a difference between what I'm doing there verses I can/should expect as I go do regular runs. Make sense or just a goofy question?

What's the crowd's take on how a treadmill run compares to the "real world"? With the dark coming early and questionable weather, I've taken to going to the Y with my wife - she heads off to a class, I go run on the treadmill followed up by body weight stuff (push ups, sit ups, etc). I've never been a huge fan but it is keeping me moving when I'd often make excuses not to do anything. Also kind of like the fact that I can force a certain pace - as compared to real world have to pay attention so that I'm not going too hard or too slow for what I plan (although staying at a given pace has always been a strength of mine). 

Again, for the most part just happy to be doing something, just not sure if there is a difference between what I'm doing there verses I can/should expect as I go do regular runs. Make sense or just a goofy question?
Definitely not my area of expertise, so I’ll only add that I’ve read to set the incline at 1% to make up for the lack of air resistance. 

Treadmill and outside running are similar enough.

As Duck just mentioned, if you want to be more precise, set the run at an incline of 1% or so to make up for the lack of air resistance. 

On the flip side, temperature can matter.  You can be prone to overheating on a treadmill since you'll be running in a cloud of your own sweat moisture.  Your sweat whisks away in the outside air.  Additionally, you're probably running in a temperature of 70 or so inside compared to much colder weather outside these days.

-OZ- said:
Alright guys, I need a little advice.

How do you motivate a 10yo to run while feeling uncomfortable? 

I've mentioned him a few times before, my 10yo has some talent for cross country or longer distance track. He was the fastest on his team last race and ran well. I told him I was proud of him, took him out to celebrate, etc. 

Yesterday's race was not good. Over 31 minutes for the 5k, more than a minute slower than a couple weeks ago. I get that we all have off days, but he wasn't really trying. We did start off up hill (not a huge hill but when you're 10 maybe it was to him) and then the first half was with the wind. I could not get him to run faster for very long, I think he was overthinking things like the hill we just went up. I told him that we're going to run into the wind going back, to stay close behind me and I'll block some of the wind. He was unhappy that I didn't block all of it. 

He ran on Thanksgiving with his aunt and uncle and that race wasn't all that good either.

He's out there, which is a victory in itself. So I'm trying to not be hard on him. I try to make this fun but I'll admit I get frustrated when I think he's not working. He says he was pushing, but he was talking the whole time about his legs hurting or the hill, or the wind, etc. 

I'll admit we don't really have the steely eyed killer mentality, none of my kids are overly competitive except maybe son 2 with his grades (that can be good and bad).

Somehow I don't think screaming at him to HTFU is going to work. He's running right now to earn points so he can get a Nintendo switch for his birthday in June, that was enough to keep him on the team and he enjoyed the success last week. But how to keep it going? He's already mentioned not wanting to run next year, he thinks he wants to play tennis - we'll play a bit for fun but he hasn't gotten much past volleying with Dad. 

I'm partly just sounding this out in my mind, but truly will appreciate tips. 
There's no forcing it with the kids.  At this age the #1 priority is them falling in love with the sport (whatever game they choose).  I'd just encourage him and remind him of his natural abilities.  Keep it fun above all else.  Pushing him to compete when he doesn't want to will just make him grow to hate the sport and never do it again.  Keep it light and fun - he'll get there if he falls in love with it.

Last week, @pbm107 alerted me to a study that the University of Delaware is doing on achilles injuries in runners.  I immediately filled out the questionnaire.  If you fit their age/speed criteria (unknown to the survey responder), they'll accept you into the study.  If not, they just delete you and you'll never hear back.

I haven't heard back yet.  :kicksrock:  Keeping my fingers crossed - I'd love to participate.

I struggle with this - because one part of me hates it and thinks it unintentionally potentially creates other problems.  But I think I must also remind myself that for some it's as you described - it's either that or I talk myself out of doing anything, which is obviously worse.  I think you'll benefit more by doing everything outside.  Forcing you to stay focused on both your form and pace will set you on a path to better performance.  But if mentally you're not ready for dark/winter running then the dreadmill is optimal to nothing. 

My hatred of that thing is well documented, but last winter finally got me to do it under one particular set of circumstances - when the schedule calls for a speed workout and it's quite simply not safe to do it outside.  I don't think I'm susceptible to bad habits in such a setting because speed on a dreadmill requires maintained focus.  If I don't then I'll fall off.

Last week, @pbm107 alerted me to a study that the University of Delaware is doing on achilles injuries in runners.  I immediately filled out the questionnaire.  If you fit their age/speed criteria (unknown to the survey responder), they'll accept you into the study.  If not, they just delete you and you'll never hear back.

I haven't heard back yet.  :kicksrock:  Keeping my fingers crossed - I'd love to participate.
Are you still experiencing pain?  I thought that had gone away.

My hatred of that thing is well documented, but last winter finally got me to do it under one particular set of circumstances - when the schedule calls for a speed workout and it's quite simply not safe to do it outside.  I don't think I'm susceptible to bad habits in such a setting because speed on a dreadmill requires maintained focus.  If I don't then I'll fall off.
I dislike the boring long, slow miles on a treadmill.

I love stuff like tempos and mile repeats.  My brain switches into challenge mode and that makes everything more interesting and the senses heightened.   Outside with the fast stuff I'm always concerned about the temperature, or hills, or wind, or accidentally slowing down.  On the treadmill, I just turn the music up and hang on for the ride. 

I love stuff like tempos and mile repeats.  My brain switches into challenge mode and that makes everything more interesting and the senses heightened.   Outside with the fast stuff I'm always concerned about the temperature, or hills, or wind, or accidentally slowing down.  On the treadmill, I just turn the music up and hang on for the ride. 
I've kinda grown to like it for that stuff, too.

Are they going to make you climb the Christiana Towers before they tear them down?  Or simply do a few laps around the Deer Park? 

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
Since I'm Strava-challenged, here are my monthly totals for the year:

Jan: 0
Feb: 8
March: 24
April: 50
May: 62
June: 11
July: 37
August: 22
September: 24
October: 89

Looking back, I was actually starting to put in some decent long runs in May. The frequency wasn't there, running only on weekends, but still putting in a solid 10 or 11-miler every Sunday. I have absolutely no idea why I basically quit. Maybe it got hot? Who knows.

Up next - 126 miles in November. Also, I'm down 4.6 pounds since the start of October. Only 20+ more to go
November update: 95 miles

Got a bad cold over Thanksgiving and haven't run since. Gonna get back out there tomorrow.

So after 8 weeks of dedicated running (and 2 weeks of sickness) it's clear to me how far I have to go before I'm in shape to try anything ambitious. That means a spring marathon is definitely off the table for me. Just gonna try to stack a bunch of 30+ mile weeks through January and then realistically assess where I am after another 2 months. 

One weird thing - I was starting to get really frustrated at losing very little weight, even as I started doing consistent 25-mile weeks. Now after not running for almost two weeks, I find I've dropped another 5 or 6 lbs. I've definitely been eating less, but still find it weird to lose more weight when not running. I swear it was like the increased exercise shocked my body into desperately clinging to its fat.

Anyway, as of this morning, down 11.8 pounds since the start of October. Have moved up one belthole, and my fat pats are starting to sag off my butt.

November update: 95 miles

Got a bad cold over Thanksgiving and haven't run since. Gonna get back out there tomorrow.

So after 8 weeks of dedicated running (and 2 weeks of sickness) it's clear to me how far I have to go before I'm in shape to try anything ambitious. That means a spring marathon is definitely off the table for me. Just gonna try to stack a bunch of 30+ mile weeks through January and then realistically assess where I am after another 2 months. 

One weird thing - I was starting to get really frustrated at losing very little weight, even as I started doing consistent 25-mile weeks. Now after not running for almost two weeks, I find I've dropped another 5 or 6 lbs. I've definitely been eating less, but still find it weird to lose more weight when not running. I swear it was like the increased exercise shocked my body into desperately clinging to its fat.

Anyway, as of this morning, down 11.8 pounds since the start of October. Have moved up one belthole, and my fat pats are starting to sag off my butt.
So, from a little personal experience and some reading, etc, here are my thoughts.

8 weeks is a pretty short time in terms of changing overall metabolism and body weight/shape.  But, changes happened and continued to happen that may not have been apparent.  I've always been on the heavier side even though I'm not "fat".  And, as you know, there are different body types as well.  I have skinnier arms and legs and my weight is more in my trunk/mid section.  After I started working out almost 2 years ago and then started running, I went from 220 down to 200 and have kept that weight for this entire time.  I haven't been this weight since college and I overall look and feel much better.  However, even after ramping up my miles, more weight didn't come off and I don't think it would unless I got up into the 40 MPW range (or higher).  I fully expect to drop some more weight if/when I train for a marathon.

I just took 3 weeks off, and between that and Thanksgiving and traveling, I'm already back up to 210 and feel awful.  I'm sure it's going to take at least 3-4 weeks to get back to where I was but I'm sure I will.  I will say that even after losing the weight initially, it wasn't for another few months that I could eat how I felt hungry and still keep the weight off.  I could have lost a bit more if I kept cutting my intake but I know my body wanted and needed it with the increased demands of my running.

BUT, the big thing I noticed was that while my weight hasn't changed, my waist size has continued to get smaller.  I moved a few beltholes after all that time and my body SHAPE continued to improve despite maintaining the same weight. 

So, don't get frustrated in the lack of losing weight.  It's likely that some of it is getting redistributed in a good way.  Finally, if you really want to lose weight with running, you HAVE to run slowly.  The only way to burn fat consistently is to stay completely aerobic and it'll happen.  The faster you run, the more anaerobic you get and your body won't use fat stores.

If losing weight is a big goal for you, you need to run more and run more slowly, do some weight lifting (continued effects of weight loss even after the workout) or other HIIT, and cut calories.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that's what your body needs now.  Keep doing what you're doing and things will keep going in the right direction.

My $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
If losing weight is a big goal for you, you need to run more and run more slowly, do some weight lifting (continued effects of weight loss even after the workout), and cut calories.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that's what your body needs now.  Keep doing what you're doing and things will keep going in the right direction.
When I'm out running and am tempted to start going too fast, I imagine slowly melting a giant white glistening mound of lard in a skillet. Turn the flame up too high, and the fire scorches the lard, blackening the outside without melting the mound. Keep the fire too low, and the lard never melts. I try to keep in mind a nice gentle low heat that gradually melts the lard away.

P.S. In this analogy, my effort level = flame.

Giant mound of lard in skillet = giant mound of lard around my waistline. 

When I'm out running and am tempted to start going too fast, I imagine slowly melting a giant white glistening mound of lard in a skillet. Turn the flame up too high, and the fire scorches the lard, blackening the outside without melting the mound. Keep the fire too low, and the lard never melts. I try to keep in mind a nice gentle low heat that gradually melts the lard away.

P.S. In this analogy, my effort level = flame.

Giant mound of lard in skillet = giant mound of lard around my waistline. 
Good article

Not that there is likely to be anything exciting happening time-wise, but, if interested in tracking my 15K this Sunday, here you go

As of right now, looking at 26 degrees at race start and about 10mph winds.  Similar to last year.  Should be interesting.  My main goal is to try and negative split this race.  Time-wise, I have no idea what's going to happen.

They changed the route a bit this year.  More hilly--ugh.

I also realized this will be my first repeat race

Last edited by a moderator:
As of right now, looking at 26 degrees at race start and about 10mph winds.  Similar to last year.  Should be interesting.  My main goal is to try and negative split this race.  Time-wise, I have no idea what's going to happen.
Weather looks pretty decent.  A little cool for racing, but you can't ask for much better in December.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread