What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

So @gianmarco, does the fact that you haven't heard anything mean that we didn't get in?
I have no idea. I've never done a race lottery. All I know is that they've gotten in each year so I only know they obviously get notified for that.

I did send an email last night asking so I'm trying to find out.

But I wouldn't hold my breath at this point :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea. I've never done a race lottery. All I know is that they've gotten in each year so I only know they obviously get notified for that.

I did send an email last night asking so I'm trying to find out.

But I wouldn't hold my breath at this point :kicksrock:
Did you put a stamp on the registration letter?

And on that note:

CONGRATULATIONS!

GO! St. Louis is pleased to inform you that your team has won a lottery slot in the 6th annual GO! Missouri KT82 Trail Relay scheduled for Saturday, June 1, 2019! 

If this is your first time putting a team together, you and your teammates are in for an awesome adventure together. And if you are a KT82 veteran, thank you for being loyal fans of GO! St. Louis and of the KT82 Trail Relay.

We have just a few important details to share with you at this point:

@gruecd

@tri-man 47

@Ocram

@JShare87

@Juxtatarot

Kind of a random question, but do you guys find running on a treadmill harder than street running at a given pace?  For whatever reason (maybe it's that I set incline at 2% to offset lack of wind resistance, or maybe it's because I always overheat and sweat like @gruecd when on treadmills) I find that even a few minutes at a 5:00min/km pace is so much harder to sustain than running my entire HM at that pace.

This morning I tacked-on some 5:00 kms at the end of my usual treadmill session and my HR drove way up quite quickly.

Probably just me. :shrug:

Kind of a random question, but do you guys find running on a treadmill harder than street running at a given pace?  For whatever reason (maybe it's that I set incline at 2% to offset lack of wind resistance, or maybe it's because I always overheat and sweat like @gruecd when on treadmills) I find that even a few minutes at a 5:00min/km pace is so much harder to sustain than running my entire HM at that pace.

This morning I tacked-on some 5:00 kms at the end of my usual treadmill session and my HR drove way up quite quickly.

Probably just me. :shrug:
If it's stupid hot in the gym and/or if there's no fan, then yeah, it definitely sucks.  Also, 1% incline is plenty.

Decided to do a race tomorrow (5K).  Forecast is 15 to 20 but no wind.  I was out for a dog walk this morning in similar conditions.  It's cold for sure.   I have a pair of lycra long underwear but never wore them besides under jeans.  This may be the time to bust them out. 

Right leg really sucked for a week or so around Thanksgiving, but now it's not too bad.  MD appointment with ortho is Monday afternoon. 

Decided to do a race tomorrow (5K).  Forecast is 15 to 20 but no wind.  I was out for a dog walk this morning in similar conditions.  It's cold for sure.   I have a pair of lycra long underwear but never wore them besides under jeans.  This may be the time to bust them out. 
Good luck!  I ran this morning at 6 AM, and it was only 12° but also no wind.  It honestly wasn't bad at all.  Under Armour tights and long-sleeve compression top with a windbreaker.  Just keep the hands warm, and you'll be fine!

We got about 2-3" of fresh powder yesterday.  Beautiful conditions for an after work stroll last night after laziness won earlier in the week.  Awful conditions to drive in though.  Got 2 separate shouts from cars that I passed more than once that my idea was better than theirs.  But my body is definitely road adapted.  I was thinking about extending out to 7 miles or so, but my hips started barking about 4 miles in from the additional stress from running in the powder so I headed home.  That wonderful powder got the freeze and salt treatment over night though.  Lunch lifting today and had thought about another evening stroll but am now thinking about pizza, wings, and beer instead.

A little lottery luck and got into Miwok 100K this morning.  I'm not really sure how much luck was involved as the popularity of this race has dropped off a bit the past few years as other 100K WS100 qualifying options have expanded in Nor Cal, and elites being more focused on Sonoma 50M three weeks before.  But it's a classic here in Marin County that I've wanted to run, I've probably covered 90+% of the course during training over the years, and I was 0-2 back in '13 and '14 in trying to get in .  It's also a much tighter cut off than other 100Ks I've done,  with a 15:30 qualifying time vs 18 hours for the Canyons 100K I've run the past three years.  With a 100K PR of 15:17 set at Quicksilver in 2015,  I'll obviously be shooting for a new PR this year. 

Good to have the pressure of getting a qualifier on the calendar relieved, now I just need to finish it.  Then I can pick any 100M race for later in the year I want, without worrying about it's status as a qualifier (Hardrock qualifiers are good for 2 years).  I've also put in for the Sonoma 50 lottery which I think is a little tougher to get into.  But if I do get in it'll make for an interesting Spring with a 50K in March, 50M in April, and a 100K three weeks later in May.

Anyone have rechargeable heated gloves?  I'm a little reluctant to spend $140 on these guys but my hands couldn't handle 10 degree weather this morning even with four glove/mitten layers.  It's frustrating because I keep buying gloves but any combination gets dicey around 15 degrees or colder.  The rest of me would be perfectly fine in much colder weather but not the hands.

Anyone have rechargeable heated gloves?  I'm a little reluctant to spend $140 on these guys but my hands couldn't handle 10 degree weather this morning even with four glove/mitten layers.  It's frustrating because I keep buying gloves but any combination gets dicey around 15 degrees or colder.  The rest of me would be perfectly fine in much colder weather but not the hands.
All you need

They certainly aren't running gloves, but at those temperatures, who cares.  It's just about maintaining warmth.  I've had my pair for years and they just now started to rip.  If anything my hands get too warm in these things.  But that's what the finger flap is for.  Tuck it open for a couple minutes then I'm normalized again.

I asked my sister to get me these for Christmas:  https://www.the-house.com/sa6rwm04bb19zz-salomon-snowboard-mitts.html

All you need

They certainly aren't running gloves, but at those temperatures, who cares.  It's just about maintaining warmth.  I've had my pair for years and they just now started to rip.  If anything my hands get too warm in these things.  But that's what the finger flap is for.  Tuck it open for a couple minutes then I'm normalized again.
Thanks for the recommendation but I have a pair very similar to that (even with 3M Thinsulate) that doesn't work well for me.  Maybe I'll try those again with some additional layers though. 

Looking for some cold temp gloves for us as well.  I was about to ask so I'm glad we've activated GloveTalk.

Not for super cold temperatures, but I did just pick up a pair of these and absolutely love them.  Ridiculously comfortable, good for temps in 20's and above (hasn't gotten colder yet), and yet with good feel that they are the closest thing to not wearing gloves while wearing them.

Looking for some cold temp gloves for us as well.  I was about to ask so I'm glad we've activated GloveTalk.

Not for super cold temperatures, but I did just pick up a pair of these and absolutely love them.  Ridiculously comfortable, good for temps in 20's and above (hasn't gotten colder yet), and yet with good feel that they are the closest thing to not wearing gloves while wearing them.
Touch screen device friendly

As someone who runs with his phone, those are my go-to's.  Can't when it's too cold (not think enough), but when it's that cold your phone won't be working well anyway.  20something-40something degrees though - usually does the job.

Touch screen device friendly

As someone who runs with his phone, those are my go-to's.  Can't when it's too cold (not think enough), but when it's that cold your phone won't be working well anyway.  20something-40something degrees though - usually does the job.
Yeah, the ones I linked are super phone friendly.  I was surprised at how I could click anywhere with accuracy (even small items or links).  At under $15, they simply can't be beat.  I've had them a couple weeks now and they are my favorite gloves I've ever owned.

Just ran a couple miles this morning with them in 25 degrees and my hands were plenty warm.  In terms of recommendations, these are a close 3rd behind the FlipBelt and neurostim runs in terms of things I'd recommend getting for running.

By the way, f these reviews on gloves that say "they work great. It was 40 degrees outside and my hands stayed warm!". No #@#&! 

-Crusty midwesterner 

In other news, I'm officially a fat *******.  I posted details in the weight loss thread, but want to spread that accountability thing around as much as possible.  Targeting my goal race weight for two weeks out from Miwok.  

In other news, I'm officially a fat *******.  I posted details in the weight loss thread, but want to spread that accountability thing around as much as possible.  Targeting my goal race weight for two weeks out from Miwok.  
Good luck with the weight loss, are you planning on ramping up the training volume while trying to loss weight? I was reviewing my training logs from when I was trying to cut some weight during base-building in the summer of 2017, and it was difficult.  Looking back at it now I think I would have cut the weight first and then increased the mileage.

I logged into Athlinks and I just noticed that my race from back in September is still only listed as a "pending" result.    When you hover it states that the race organizer hasn't finalized with their system.  It also reminded me that I never received the medal I won (1st in AG) for that race.

I don't even care about the medal and don't do anything with them, but overall that seems weird.  Should I bother to reach out to the race coordinator and ask them to finalize results and find out what's going on?  I have no idea what coordinating a race even entails and what that involves on their end.  But, because of that, it doesn't even show up as a result on my Athlinks page.

I find mittens (and the mitten concept) to be better than gloves.  Even with my gloves in 25-35 degree temps, I find it helps to not pull them on too firmly ..to leave a bit of air pocket at the end of each fingertip.  I believe that allows some warm air to stay there and help keep the fingertips comfortable.  In the colder temps, I'll go to mittens or gloves (including ski/thermal gloves, where I'll pull my fingers into a fist and let the finger parts of the glove just dangle).  This allows the fingers (with thumb) to work together on shared warmth. 

Good luck with the weight loss, are you planning on ramping up the training volume while trying to loss weight? I was reviewing my training logs from when I was trying to cut some weight during base-building in the summer of 2017, and it was difficult.  Looking back at it now I think I would have cut the weight first and then increased the mileage.
Yeah, I am, at least initially.  I've done it before with this approach, back in February of last year.  But I didn't stick with it long enough, got loose with my eating, and never quite got down to my goal weight last year (was 182-184 instead of 175).  Based on past results if I'm diligent I'd anticipate that I'll lose the first 12-15 pounds relatively quickly, as that seems to be the case when I've put the weight on quickly.  Hell, I'm probably carrying 3-4 pounds of bloat from eating and drinking on the road the last 2 days then capping it off with Thai food with the lady last night.  Then it'll slow down for the next 12-15 pounds.  My volume is only 4-5 hours a week at best right now, so ramping up to 8-9 over the next month or two while cutting weight shouldn't be too tough.

Where I did find it tough was back in 2017 when I was still trying to lose while peaking for Western States.  I ended up letting myself be satisfied with getting under 180 instead of worrying about those last couple of pounds, as I thought the added recovery coming from fueling adequately was more important.  But I put myself in that position by not eating better earlier in the year.  So I'll be flexible about it if I need to be, and if I'm a few pounds heavier than goal but it's supporting my training I'll let it go.  After all, the race results are more important than the number on the scale, even if I know the two are correlated.  I'll have another big race later in the year, so I can always dangle that carrot to get me to jump right back on the clean eating wagon.  The reality is that 170 is probably a better weight for me for a mountainous 100 miler, but having never been close to that since high school that just seems so far off.  But if when I get down to 175 and stay there for a bit, another 5 pounds should start to seem realistic.

I logged into Athlinks and I just noticed that my race from back in September is still only listed as a "pending" result.    When you hover it states that the race organizer hasn't finalized with their system.  It also reminded me that I never received the medal I won (1st in AG) for that race.

I don't even care about the medal and don't do anything with them, but overall that seems weird.  Should I bother to reach out to the race coordinator and ask them to finalize results and find out what's going on?  I have no idea what coordinating a race even entails and what that involves on their end.  But, because of that, it doesn't even show up as a result on my Athlinks page.
There have been a few smaller races I've run that have taken months.   Regardless, though, I don't see any harm in emailing the coordinator.  Other people are probably waiting too.

Cocoa Classic 5K 

(jeez - this guy must really like hot chocolate)

Not much backstory to me choosing this race aside from I wanted redemption from not running a good race this fall; I was hurting around T'Giving and this race fell on a free weekend; and the race is only 20 minutes away.  Coming into the race with limited mileage the past 2-3 weeks, but my fitness is still decent (for me) from November miles. 

Pre-race  - had to be good boy at birthday party last night.  Host bought IPAs just for me.  That was tough.  This morning everything went great.  up at 720 ahead of the alarm.  Coffee. BM. Throw lots of winter gear in car and out the door.  Supposed to take 20-25 minutes, but I was there in 10 with benefit of green lights.   I forgot that I used to listen to Back in Black by AC/DC pre-race in high school.  Hell's Bells at full volume in the car got me going and Let Me Put My Love Into You assisted my warm-up. 

This is the first time this event is being run and I was expecting small crowd, but it seemed about 400 runners.  Good size. 

20F at start.  Sunny and no wind.  Tights are on.

Let's go. 

Mile 1 - 6:13

Given the race size and knowing that the start was through a parking lot with plenty of elbow room, I wasn't worried about being upfront.  This worked out fine and I passed a lot of people that first mile.  Once again, this weaving and jockeying had my pace higher than I probably wanted, but I realized this early and settled into a good pace.  Probably 5:50 pace for 1st half and 6:30 for 2nd half.   A little miffed that I was that fast, but too late to worry.

Mile 2  - 6:43

Race switches from road to a paved trail. Small hills that don't affect me too much and I'm still picking off a handful of people while keeping an eye on my watch to be around 6:45 to 6:50.  Hadn't heard "Shake A Leg'" in forever.  nice.   I realized around this point that I overdressed my torso - compression base, t-shirt and light active fleece was too much for race day.  I would have been fine with just compression base and t-shirt

Mile 3 - 6:31

Start of Mile 3 was the only time I felt in a groove.  When I Get Back by Handsome Furs and Time On My Side by Future Islands were new additions to my race playlist and will stay there.  Even though I had my watch with distance lapsed, there were 2 places where the race route seemed to be farther/harder than I could see in front of me.  So I'd be moving nicely thinking we were almost done and then have a hill or cut away to a hairpin.  I was thinking that I had a small shot at sub 20, but I came through 3 miles and my strava reported 19:20 in my earbuds. Oh well. 

Finish - 20:13 chip time

Was able to have a good kick even though no one was close by.   Through my earbuds I heard my name announced , which usually doesn't happen.  Pretty cool I guess. 

This event had results posted on the web in near real time and also had a  tent set up with medals if you qualified.  I was out of there with my medal, hot chocolate and chocolate pretzel while people were still finishing.  No need to hang around when it's 20 outside.  Well run race aside from lack of salt on icy spots.

results: 10th of 685.  1st of 20 in AG. 

So I was pretty happy with this result.  2nd best 5K time in last 5 years and it felt good doing so even with the tights.   I've also been going through a lot of mental gymnastics with job situation the past week and it was good to blow off a little steam.  Plus Juxt wasn't in the race to rob my AG medal. ;-) 

Now back to ortho on Monday and hopefully another steroid shot to give me 4 or 5 months of good running again.   

Cocoa Classic 5K 

(jeez - this guy must really like hot chocolate)

Not much backstory to me choosing this race aside from I wanted redemption from not running a good race this fall; I was hurting around T'Giving and this race fell on a free weekend; and the race is only 20 minutes away.  Coming into the race with limited mileage the past 2-3 weeks, but my fitness is still decent (for me) from November miles. 

Pre-race  - had to be good boy at birthday party last night.  Host bought IPAs just for me.  That was tough.  This morning everything went great.  up at 720 ahead of the alarm.  Coffee. BM. Throw lots of winter gear in car and out the door.  Supposed to take 20-25 minutes, but I was there in 10 with benefit of green lights.   I forgot that I used to listen to Back in Black by AC/DC pre-race in high school.  Hell's Bells at full volume in the car got me going and Let Me Put My Love Into You assisted my warm-up. 

This is the first time this event is being run and I was expecting small crowd, but it seemed about 400 runners.  Good size. 

20F at start.  Sunny and no wind.  Tights are on.

Let's go. 

Mile 1 - 6:13

Given the race size and knowing that the start was through a parking lot with plenty of elbow room, I wasn't worried about being upfront.  This worked out fine and I passed a lot of people that first mile.  Once again, this weaving and jockeying had my pace higher than I probably wanted, but I realized this early and settled into a good pace.  Probably 5:50 pace for 1st half and 6:30 for 2nd half.   A little miffed that I was that fast, but too late to worry.

Mile 2  - 6:43

Race switches from road to a paved trail. Small hills that don't affect me too much and I'm still picking off a handful of people while keeping an eye on my watch to be around 6:45 to 6:50.  Hadn't heard "Shake A Leg'" in forever.  nice.   I realized around this point that I overdressed my torso - compression base, t-shirt and light active fleece was too much for race day.  I would have been fine with just compression base and t-shirt

Mile 3 - 6:31

Start of Mile 3 was the only time I felt in a groove.  When I Get Back by Handsome Furs and Time On My Side by Future Islands were new additions to my race playlist and will stay there.  Even though I had my watch with distance lapsed, there were 2 places where the race route seemed to be farther/harder than I could see in front of me.  So I'd be moving nicely thinking we were almost done and then have a hill or cut away to a hairpin.  I was thinking that I had a small shot at sub 20, but I came through 3 miles and my strava reported 19:20 in my earbuds. Oh well. 

Finish - 20:13 chip time

Was able to have a good kick even though no one was close by.   Through my earbuds I heard my name announced , which usually doesn't happen.  Pretty cool I guess. 

This event had results posted on the web in near real time and also had a  tent set up with medals if you qualified.  I was out of there with my medal, hot chocolate and chocolate pretzel while people were still finishing.  No need to hang around when it's 20 outside.  Well run race aside from lack of salt on icy spots.

So I was pretty happy with this result.  2nd best 5K time in last 5 years and it felt good doing so even with the tights.   I've also been going through a lot of mental gymnastics with job situation the past week and it was good to blow off a little steam.  Plus Juxt wasn't in the race to rob my AG medal. ;-) 

Now back to ortho on Monday and hopefully another steroid shot to give me 4 or 5 months of good running again.   
Awesome, congrats! Impressive given your current training. 

Cocoa Classic 5K 

Good stuff man, congrats!  Here's to some continued ortho magic to keep you going.

Not that there is likely to be anything exciting happening time-wise, but, if interested in tracking my 15K this Sunday, here you go

As of right now, looking at 26 degrees at race start and about 10mph winds.  Similar to last year.  Should be interesting.  My main goal is to try and negative split this race.  Time-wise, I have no idea what's going to happen.

They changed the route a bit this year.  More hilly--ugh.

I also realized this will be my first repeat race
Bib #52047.

Going to be 21 degrees at race start (13 with wind chill).  Suck Index of 36.  That's good, right? :loco:

Actually looking forward to having fun tomorrow....

@Brony - la-di-da I will just roll out of bed with limited training lately and get every green light on the way to the first ever race of this kind and stroll up and take first place in my age group and grab a medal and hot chocalate and be home before the other 600 peons cross the finish line.....

Jesus..... :headbang:
Well... yeah.  duh! 

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread