What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

The coach certainly shouldn't have written that particularly considering how he wants to make money coaching.

That said, the response is completely inappropriate.  Comments like that should be made privately. 
:goodposting:

The titling and response is absolutely ridiculous without the context of coaching - pillow soft, snowflake, whaaaambulance, etc.  I title a lot of my runs and the primary purpose is so I can look back at them weeks, months, years later and glean context from them.  A 5.9 mile run Jan 9, 2016 @ 7:08 pace titled 'afternoon run' doesn't tell me as much as a 6.3 mile run @ 8 flat pace the same day a year later.  That run is titled 'There's a thin line between runner appreciation and runner rage.' 

That was my first encounter with someone rolling through a stop sign and almost hitting me.  It was a cold, windy, snowy day.  I had every inch of my body covered except for a little slit for my eyes.  I saw a car approach as I trudged along the snow covered sidewalk.  This was the second consecutive crosswalk in which I was encountering a vehicle and at the one prior I could see the driver was struggling hitting the brakes, so I waved him ahead so he could just focus on controlling his car and not have to worry about me too.  Courtesy wave by both of us and we went about our days.  But the car at the next intersection had other ideas - it became clear as we were about 5 seconds from our path's crossing that he wasn't stopping nor looking in my direction so I stopped, crossed my arms, and just glared.  He turned his head when he was about 3-4' from me, slammed on his brakes, rolled down his window and started yelling at me.  Probably a good thing I had my music on so I didn't hear what he was saying, so I just gave him the finger then went on my way.  It's also not a coincidence that my pace went from low 8's/high 7's pre-encounter to low 7's for the next mile or so until I calmed down.  The not seeing me was obviously irritating, but to react the way that #### stick did lit a fire.

So I couldn't tell you a single thing about 'afternoon run' from 1/9/16, but just be titling my 1/9/17 run what I did I remember several details about that day's workout - beyond just what the data says.  And when I'm evaluating where I am vs. different points in time context matters.

So while I can see where this guy may be coming from with the titling of this workout since his objective is to make money coaching he needs to be better aware of his audience.  Commenter's still a schmuck though.

The coach certainly shouldn't have written that particularly considering how he wants to make money coaching.

That said, the response is completely inappropriate.  Comments like that should be made privately. 
Completely agree. I'd never post something like that on someone's public account.  Send a note or email if it bothers you that much. 

Lottery day!  Good luck @SayWhat?, hope to #seeyouinsquaw.

ultralive.net or the Facebook live feed for Western States at 8:30 PT.

Hardrock twitter feed, starting any time now for that one.
:no:    :kicksrock:

No luck for your boys today.  The journey continues another year.

Looking at the States numbers, 19 of the 30 seven year tickets got pulled, and another 2 in the first 30 of the wait list that are likely to get in.  So (dependent on qualifiers) there should be 8-9 people with 256 tickets next year as the first class of eight-timers.  

In HR a guy with 512 tickets was pulled for the wait list, but too far back to realistically get in.  So he'll be an 11-timer next year.  Insane.

Looking at the States numbers, 19 of the 30 seven year tickets got pulled, and another 2 in the first 30 of the wait list that are likely to get in.  So (dependent on qualifiers) there should be 8-9 people with 256 tickets next year as the first class of eight-timers.  

In HR a guy with 512 tickets was pulled for the wait list, but too far back to realistically get in.  So he'll be an 11-timer next year.  Insane.
Sorry  😢

Welp, that’s more often than not the outcome when you’ve got a 1 in 15 chance of being selected.  Onwards and upwards!!

Damn. Sorry guys.

Been running hot on my Saturday long runs lately relative to heart rate. For about the last month to 6 weeks. 

At this point, based on history, I should be running about 10:00 paces with a HR between 147 and 150. Been all over the place - somewhere between 10:20 to 10:45 paces with a HR between 154 and 158. 

Getting mildly concerned at this point. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Been running hot on my Saturday long runs lately relative to heart rate. For about the last month to 6 weeks. 

At this point, based on history, I should be running about 10:00 paces with a HR between 147 and 150. Been all over the place - somewhere between 10:20 to 10:45 paces with a HR between 154 and 158. 

Getting mildly concerned at this point. 
Weren’t you considering Hanson’s? What will your weekly volume look like?

Weren’t you considering Hanson’s? What will your weekly volume look like?
Yeah, I am in the first week of it now. I am doing the Hanson beginner marathon program, and the first month of that the mileages are ridiculously low. So for the next couple of weeks I will be somewhere between 25-35 miles a week.  Based on the program, it tops out at about 20 miles a week for the first 5 weeks. Way too low for me. The Advanced program has more aggressive mileage those first few weeks, so I am trying to be more in line with that program the first month.

I am trying to run the program exactly, but the first few weeks of the beginner program call for 3 and 4 mile runs. I am trying to run more that that. Heck, maybe I should be running the advanced program, but if I recall,. @bushdocda did the beginner program and it seems to make more sense to keep me healthy to the starting line.

Yeah, I am in the first week of it now. I am doing the Hanson beginner marathon program, and the first month of that the mileages are ridiculously low. So for the next couple of weeks I will be somewhere between 25-35 miles a week.  Based on the program, it tops out at abput 20 miles a week for the first 5 weeks. Way too low for me. The Advanced program has more aggressive mileage those first few weeks, so I am trying to be more in line with that program the first month.

I am trying to run the program exactly, but the first few weeks of the beginner program call for 3 and 4 mile runs. I am trying to run more that that. Heck, maybe I should be running the advanced program, but if I recall,. @bushdocda did the beginner program and it seems to make more sense to keep me healthy to the starting line.
If that’s the case, I don’t think you should be too concerned about the heart rate yet as long as you are completing the runs.  Stick with the plan and let it do its magic.

If that’s the case, I don’t think you should be too concerned about the heart rate yet as long as you are completing the runs.  Stick with the plan and let it do its magic.
Ok thanks. That’s what I am hoping. This plan is way more aggressive than what I have done the previous two marathons, so I am banking on that extra work paying off. And I believe that it will.

Yeah, I am in the first week of it now. I am doing the Hanson beginner marathon program, and the first month of that the mileages are ridiculously low. So for the next couple of weeks I will be somewhere between 25-35 miles a week.  Based on the program, it tops out at about 20 miles a week for the first 5 weeks. Way too low for me. The Advanced program has more aggressive mileage those first few weeks, so I am trying to be more in line with that program the first month.

Guidance in those first 5 weeks of the beginner is to maintain weekly mileage if you’re at or above the suggested total.  So 25 to 35 ish is great as it will smooth out the big jump from week 5 to week 6 per the book.  Tacking on a couple miles to the 5 easy runs prescribed in the first 5 weeks of beginner program will be fine since that’s where you’re at now.

Biggest thing I can suggest overall is to keep the easy runs easy as it will allow for the SOS runs to be tackled at your paces with the easy runs allowing recovery and getting legs to run while tired as the fatigue builds over the weeks. 

Guidance in those first 5 weeks of the beginner is to maintain weekly mileage if you’re at or above the suggested total.  So 25 to 35 ish is great as it will smooth out the big jump from week 5 to week 6 per the book.  Tacking on a couple miles to the 5 easy runs prescribed in the first 5 weeks of beginner program will be fine since that’s where you’re at now.

Biggest thing I can suggest overall is to keep the easy runs easy as it will allow for the SOS runs to be tackled at your paces with the easy runs allowing recovery and getting legs to run while tired as the fatigue builds over the weeks. 
Awesome, thanks.

Usually, a week with a cancer diagnosis and job loss would really suck. 

In my case, the cancer is a simple squamous cell on my cheek that I caught real early. Found out yesterday that my job is eliminated, but they are giving a decent severance and allowing me to get full bonus and vesting of upcoming options. 

Not a banner week but this will lead to better things in the future. Next steroid shot for the calf is Dec 12th. Looking forward to being able to clear the mind running on the icy roads of chicago. 

In my case, the cancer is a simple squamous cell on my cheek that I caught real early. Found out yesterday that my job is eliminated, but they are giving a decent severance and allowing me to get full bonus and vesting of upcoming options. 

Not a banner week but this will lead to better things in the future. Next steroid shot for the calf is Dec 12th. Looking forward to being able to clear the mind running on the icy roads of chicago. 
Damn dude.

Serious positive vibes coming your way.

Dude....sorry to hear, on both counts. Sounds like the “best” types of cancer and job loss.....that’s a weird sentence to write. 

Wow. Sorry on both counts. On a positive note, being temporarily unemployed does mean more time to run!

Sorry you didn't get in. Friend of mine was one of two people from Wisconsin to get picked for Western. He had 8 tickets.

Sorry to hear the news, my friend, but glad that both items have a favorable slant.  I've been unemployed twice in my career, and in both cases, things worked out better than anticipated.  

Good luck friend. We are working a similar situation in my home and it’s crazy, so much is on the table. I’m in Baltimore area if I can help. 

I think I'm gonna run a 10-mile race at the Pettit on Sunday morning. Approximately 36 laps around the 440M track at hopefully 1:47-1:51 per lap.
Race starts at 7:30. Just got back about 15 mins ago from a brisk 10-minute walk. Hopefully @gianmarco will tell me that counts as neurostim...  ;)

Breaking out the Vaporflys for the first time today...

Race starts at 7:30. Just got back about 15 mins ago from a brisk 10-minute walk. Hopefully @gianmarco will tell me that counts as neurostim...  ;)

Breaking out the Vaporflys for the first time today...
It'll do, I suppose.

So much for nothing new on race day.

And start Cam.

Good luck!!

Dude....sorry to hear, on both counts. Sounds like the “best” types of cancer and job loss.....that’s a weird sentence to write. 
Actually, you nailed it. Thanks. 

I'll be fine. Saw the job thing coming for the past year, just weird when it finally happens. 

Race went OK. They goofed up and had us run one lap too many, so it was 10.27 miles instead of 10. Regardless, I didn't have my racing legs today, and my 6:45 average pace was about 10 secs slower than I'd hoped. That being said, I did basically roll out of bed and run 10+ miles at GMP while not really training, so I guess there's that.  :shrug:

Haven't seen the official results, but I think I finished top-10. There was a group of dudes running sub-6 pace, 2-3 others, then me.

PS: Vaporflys definitely felt nice and springy, but I don't feel like they made me any faster. Might try to sell them and buy 3-4 pairs of Zantes instead...

Absolutely awful headwind for the 2nd half of my long run today.  That was brutal.  New rule of mine:  no runs with winds over 7 mph.

Hadn't been paying attention to my mileage.  Just was getting out and keeping it simple and just realized I put in 31 miles this week.  Oops? :oldunsure:

Absolutely awful headwind for the 2nd half of my long run today.  That was brutal.  New rule of mine:  no runs with winds over 7 mph.

Hadn't been paying attention to my mileage.  Just was getting out and keeping it simple and just realized I put in 31 miles this week.  Oops? :oldunsure:
7?! C'mon man!

OK so I've been driving back from my trail runs the last few weeks and seeing an increasing number of folks out cutting down Christmas trees.

I'm probably alone in this but as someone who subscribes to "leave no trace" hiking, the idea of going into the woods and cutting down one of the nicest trees you can find seems wrong.

Admittedly I tend to favour fake trees (thus biased), but even if you want a real tree, it feels better to get a farmed one than go out into a park and cut one down, no?

:shrug:   Am I alone in this?

I thought it was obvious I was kidding.

But winds today were 20 mph with gusts that were higher and it happened to pick up when I was running into it. It was actually pushing me off the sidewalk at one point. 

Just let me complain about the weather in peace.
The 60 degrees and sun that I ran in today would have sent grue screaming towards the nearest gym - sweatfest in December what the #### is this #### polar bear need winter kill kill kill

OK so I've been driving back from my trail runs the last few weeks and seeing an increasing number of folks out cutting down Christmas trees.

I'm probably alone in this but as someone who subscribes to "leave no trace" hiking, the idea of going into the woods and cutting down one of the nicest trees you can find seems wrong.

Admittedly I tend to favour fake trees (thus biased), but even if you want a real tree, it feels better to get a farmed one than go out into a park and cut one down, no?

Pretty sure that would be highly illegal, and surprised you’re seeing numerous people doing this unless it’s being done on private land.

Pretty sure that would be highly illegal, and surprised you’re seeing numerous people doing this unless it’s being done on private land.

I have a friend in Oregon that does this every year. I guess I like the idea of going out into the snow and cutting down the family tree, hauling it back to the car, and bringing it home. But I also kind of want to live off the grid in the woods, cutting trees for firewood, fishing, hunting, and running through the mountains. So while in general I’m down with “leave no trace” as well (I have picked up many GU packet tops during runs), I guess I’m ok with it. 

Alright guys, I need a little advice.

How do you motivate a 10yo to run while feeling uncomfortable? 

I've mentioned him a few times before, my 10yo has some talent for cross country or longer distance track. He was the fastest on his team last race and ran well. I told him I was proud of him, took him out to celebrate, etc. 

Yesterday's race was not good. Over 31 minutes for the 5k, more than a minute slower than a couple weeks ago. I get that we all have off days, but he wasn't really trying. We did start off up hill (not a huge hill but when you're 10 maybe it was to him) and then the first half was with the wind. I could not get him to run faster for very long, I think he was overthinking things like the hill we just went up. I told him that we're going to run into the wind going back, to stay close behind me and I'll block some of the wind. He was unhappy that I didn't block all of it. 

He ran on Thanksgiving with his aunt and uncle and that race wasn't all that good either.

He's out there, which is a victory in itself. So I'm trying to not be hard on him. I try to make this fun but I'll admit I get frustrated when I think he's not working. He says he was pushing, but he was talking the whole time about his legs hurting or the hill, or the wind, etc. 

I'll admit we don't really have the steely eyed killer mentality, none of my kids are overly competitive except maybe son 2 with his grades (that can be good and bad).

Somehow I don't think screaming at him to HTFU is going to work. He's running right now to earn points so he can get a Nintendo switch for his birthday in June, that was enough to keep him on the team and he enjoyed the success last week. But how to keep it going? He's already mentioned not wanting to run next year, he thinks he wants to play tennis - we'll play a bit for fun but he hasn't gotten much past volleying with Dad. 

I'm partly just sounding this out in my mind, but truly will appreciate tips. 

Yesterday, I saw the local high school track team out running. One of the guys picked up a big show chunk, caught up to runners ahead and launched it at one of them. Totally stupid, but took me back to when I started running in high school and it was fun before I ever committed to putting in the work. 

So Oz, my advice is to throw a huge snowball at your 10 yo. 

Honestly, you can't. Just let him enjoy it on his own. Some kids have that competitive fire built in and others don't.

Signed,

Someone with a similarly "lazy" kid

Honestly, you can't. Just let him enjoy it on his own. Some kids have that competitive fire built in and others don't.

Signed,

Someone with a similarly "lazy" kid
Correct with a caveat - at some point the light may turn on without notice.  7th grade cross country was just going through the motions with as little effort as possible for me.  I wanted to play football, but an injury caused doc's not to clear me so I was just trying to stay in shape for basketball.  On long run days coach would send us out for 45 minutes on the trails and we'd go 3 mins out on the trail then bushwhack to our friends house beside the park then return 40 minutes later.  Sometimes I'd try on race day and other times I wouldn't. I was usually between 5th and 7th on the team and was comfortable there.  Then the first day of track practice in spring we were tasked with two half mile repeats on pavement in a different park.  But now I was in shape from basketball.  I finished the first one to some puzzled looks from our coaches.  Ten I turned around and realized I was about 30-45 seconds in front of everyone - 8th grader's included.  Now with expectations set on myself I put forth focused effort on #2 and did it again.  And that carried forward from there.

tl;dr - stay positive and keep him active, sprinkle in some competitive spirit commentary on occasion but it may be beneficial to not do it during the actual running.  If he wants to compete then he will.  It'll be on his own timeline though.

I checked and you can actually get a permit for it.  It's likely not that all of these folks had one, but it is possible to do it legally. 

I have a friend in Oregon that does this every year. I guess I like the idea of going out into the snow and cutting down the family tree, hauling it back to the car, and bringing it home. But I also kind of want to live off the grid in the woods, cutting trees for firewood, fishing, hunting, and running through the mountains. So while in general I’m down with “leave no trace” as well (I have picked up many GU packet tops during runs), I guess I’m ok with it. 
Yeah I had just picked up a Clif bar wrapper on this very run, and then drove home looking at a bunch of people cutting down trees.

I have no issue cutting down trees for firewood, building materials, etc.  It is more when people do it for aesthetics when there are two suitable replacements available (farmed or fake).

Again, I'll get more wound-up about other stuff.  Just struck me as funny that I stop to pick up a Cliff bar wrapper and a few hundred yards away someone is cutting down a tree...

I'm kind of happy where my heart rate seems to be these days.  I ran 20 miles at averages of 7:34/129 Saturday.  It rose some at the end -- probably not helped by running fasted without water.  This morning I took it easy since some lower abdomen muscles are sore (kind of did a hobby jogger run) and averaged 8:36/114.  I'm pretty sure that's my lowest HR on a run ever.

I'm kind of happy where my heart rate seems to be these days.  I ran 20 miles at averages of 7:34/129 Saturday.  It rose some at the end -- probably not helped by running fasted without water.  This morning I took it easy since some lower abdomen muscles are sore (kind of did a hobby jogger run) and averaged 8:36/114.  I'm pretty sure that's my lowest HR on a run ever.
That's ridiculous.  I have a higher HR just thinking about your HR.

Users who are viewing this thread