What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

My 20yo cousin is looking for a half marathon training plan. Are there free ones out there?

She is in above average condition.  She ran   Cross country in high school but hasn’t run on a regular basis in like 2 years. 

Thanks!

My 20yo cousin is looking for a half marathon training plan. Are there free ones out there?

She is in above average condition.  She ran   Cross country in high school but hasn’t run on a regular basis in like 2 years. 

Thanks!
The Higdon plan is great for a half marathon. She can choose from beginner to a more advanced plan depending on her goals. 

Thanks!
As one who went down this exact path, there are quite a few ones out there free - and they depend on her current condition, time to train, and race goals. If you google "half marathon training plans" you can easily find some free options that will describe the type of runner/goal they are for. This was a site I used when I decided basically in September that I was going to run a 1/2 marathon in November: https://www.halfmarathons.net/training-tips/

It has plans that range from 8 weeks to 20 weeks with different levels/goals in mind.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Actually glad you asked that. I've been running fairly consistently but not quite as often as I want. I just realized by posting that link that I have about 18 weeks +/- until my next 1/2. Need to sit down and start to plot out a schedule sometime soon... Or at least start to think about where I need to be at different points if I am going to hit my time goal. Starting to get pumped about having a goal more than "just finish".

Went for a run this morning. Knee/leg/foot felt okay during the run. I still know something isn’t quite right, but I’m going to try and push through this in order to start training for my March marathon. Been working out pretty hard and getting my diet on point (lots of protein). Hopefully I can get into BMF mode for this training cycle.

Ninth annual year-end reports!  A ten-year retrospective will be very interesting next year.  (If you want to see prior reports, searching on "funniest" in this thread will get you to them).  This is an open invitation to everyone who spends time here in the thread.  Add your report over the next week or two. It’s a great time to step back and review the 2018 year as well as look ahead to 2019.

2018 Year-end Report

Your goals coming into the year, and were they achieved?

New accomplishments or PRs in 2018:

Your proudest and/or best race (or segment within a race):

A race or race training disappointment during 2018:

Total training volume during 2018:

Lesson(s) you’ve learned during the year:

Best memories of other guys’ training or races in 2018:

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

Goal(s) for 2019:

2018 Year-end Report

BQ or bust.
High Five

A 3:08 mother ####### marathon

Sure, it stings not actually getting into Boston because I only qualified by 1:56 and the cutoff was BQ-4:52 this year, but I knew the risk I was running when I let that time stand in April.  If I got squeezed then that’d only give me more motivation next time.

The final 10 miles of that race. First for clearing the 16-18 mile hurdles that thwarted my prior attempt. Second for talking myself down after a few seconds of being a prisoner of the moment visioning the finish line, reminding myself there’s still 8 miles to go. Third for recognizing the bonk was coming on around miles 20-22 and making preemptive adjustments to best prepare for it. Finally for fighting through that bonk and the mile 26 cramps that followed.  While there were things that I could have done prior to race day to improve that morning’s performance I don’t think there’s anything I could have done to get to that line one second faster that day.

Two, both training related but for totally different reasons. #1 letting outside forces get the best of me early January, almost causing me to bail on that marathon attempt - netting just 19 miles across 2 weeks immediately after 200 and 235 mile months. That one ate away at me for a while, but I think going through that could prove to be a good thing the next time around – I don’t think it had much of an impact on my actual race though. #2 was far less overt at the time. Initially I thought my end of marathon issues were primarily hydration caused. It wasn’t though. It was glycogen. @Juxtatarot made a post at the time that got me to thinking about it and after some reading and thought, he’s not surprisingly right. How am I going to address this the next time around? As I’m sitting here writing, I don’t know, but I will have a better plan before I make another run at one.  Intention is to make that the focus of my long run practice whenever they start again - in the days prior, amidst it, and recovery after. Some of you guys can marathon on limited nutrition and it’s probably due to my size more than anything, but I don’t think I can.

Similar as the last two years – 2,016 miles in 2016 and 2,066 miles in 2017.  I was on pace to best 2017 by quite a bit, but I really hit the brakes mid-November so that’s not going to happen anymore. The weather/calendar combo will decide whether I end up just over 2K or if I get closer to last year’s total. Somewhere in there though.

The 5 P's, Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, is a line I've said to my clients for years.  In most ways I've followed it, but marathon training is...different.  And I learned I need to do a better job in factoring in contingency into my planning.  I thought I had, but once in the weeds I got lost in them instead of being ready and navigating my way out before getting stuck.  Not next time though.

It’s real difficult to identify one beyond the PR machine that was juxt in 2018.  But I’m a sucker for overcoming adversity. And for as much as @pbm107 crushed his training all year he failed to meet multiple primary racing goals early in the season. Lots of different directions he could have gone from these disappointments, but he persevered and was rewarded - finishing with a bang, pr’ing Richmond. And that’s the sorta story that really sticks with me.

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

Ima start with the funny one, my favorite annual game – what @SFBayDuck Duck Tale stuck with me this year.  Because it’s always one of those.  And this time it was taking 3 days post-race to realize miles 95-“100” of ‘going around in circles crossing the same creek over and over again’ (paraphrasing) at Grindstone were in fact the exact same miles he had ran about 30some hours prior and not something different. Ever wanna run a 100 miler, kids? This is what you have to look forward to.

Now for my 30 seconds of seriousness for the year - don’t be afraid to take a step out of the running vacuum. Running is our comfort zone, but have you ever looked at what one’s body actually does while running?  It’s amazing the body can withstand that sorta punishment.  So take the necessary steps to improve your overall fitness to ensure you will continue to run and not unexpectedly end up on the shelf.  As I’ll detail below, I’m developing into an every other year sorta guy. I had clear tangible running goals in 2016 and 2018. I didn’t in 2015 and 2017, but I think those intangible running goals contributed to successes in 2016 and 2018. I think those total health years have both made me a better runner and improved my chances of future me still pounding pavement (or dirt).

Goal(s) for 2019:

And on that note…

Stage 1 – get stronger and straighten out my current muscle/functional imbalances. I got down around 180 for April’s marathon, but I’ve been around 185-190 most of the year.  Don’t intend to change that while focusing on strength, but I want to ensure I stay in that range.  Early returns have been favorable, but my goal is to be satisfied with where I am strength-wise come March 1.

Stage 2 – cutting. Unlike the 2016 marathon attempt when my body hadn’t adapted to the mileage volume I didn’t drop weight just by marathon training in 2018. I went into this year’s marathon carrying an extra 10-15 lbs vs. the scary skinny version (sub 170) in 2016. So, new approach - drop the weight then maintain it amidst training since simultaneously cutting weight and increasing intensity of training is somewhere between very difficult and impossible.  Goal is somewhere between 175-180 and I think this should take about 8 weeks since an @Otis binge or two will undoubtedly interfere at some point. 

Stage 3 – mini cycles, some focused on strength and others on running.  Knowing how our summer’s go I think if I just follow the ebbs and flows rather than be working towards a particular goal I’ll benefit once coming out the other side.  Maintain the weight and push the intensity with whatever cycle I’m amidst – running or strength.  This will probably go into September, but maybe we’ll have better control of our lives come August this time around.  I’m intentionally not setting begin and end dates for this stage, but I know the more time I spend in it the better.

Stage 4 – pick a late season race to target. The likelihood of this being a marathon is tiny for a variety of reasons, but I’m not totally dismissing the possibility right now. Wide variety of distance possibilities, but the goal will be to PR whatever race I pursue.  But I also get that if my mileage volume was too low prior then that may not happen.

*And just as a point of reference when I read this again a year from now – given the above, don’t expect 2K miles this year. The expectation is an upward trajectory throughout the year with a noticeable spike when going from stage 1 to 2 and a flatter trend from then until beginning stage 4.

Tl;Dr - be a bad ### mother ####er.

Searched and didn't find it, but I assume you guys have seen this.  Ultrageezer Gene Dykes.  He smashed Ed Whitlock's 70-74 AG record.  Pretty astonishing, particularly at the end of the article when he talks about his upcoming race schedule.  I would curl up on the floor and cry at the thought of that schedule.  

Let me introduce you to your new favorite American athlete: Gene Dykes.

Retired computer programmer, lives in the Philadelphia suburbs, married to a University of Pennsylvania economics professor, two grown daughters, one grandkid. Likes to garden, plays golf a few times a month, once got pretty good at bowling, to the point he rolled four perfect games.

But here’s why we’re talking about Gene Dykes today: He just ran a world record sub-three hour marathon…at age 70.

Dykes’s 2:54:23 (per-mile pace: 6:39), which he ran at the Jacksonville Marathon on Dec. 15, shaved a startling 25 seconds off the 70-74 age group mark set by the late, legendary masters distance runner Ed Whitlock.

It was a record which many—including Dykes—assumed would never be broken.

“I didn’t think this one was in my reach,” Dykes told me the other day on the phone, from his home in Bala Cynwyd, Pa. “Going into this year, I’d never run a marathon under three hours.”

What makes Dykes’s rise to record-setter so striking is that he was, by his own admission, a very average runner until he got a coach in his mid-60s.

Dykes, who grew up in Canton, Ohio, competed in track in high school and in college at Lehigh University, but, as he tells it, he wasn’t even close to a star.

“I was so, so thoroughly trounced on the track, that I really have this lifelong impression of myself as a mediocre runner,” he said.

Dykes would graduate college, get a Ph.D. in biochemistry, make a career in computer programming, and start a family. He ran on occasion, but only as a hobby.

“Sometimes I’d be in decent shape, sometimes not,” he said. “I didn’t race. There’s a big difference between racing, and just going out there and jogging for the fun of it.”

MORE JASON GAY

Expand the Playoff, College Football December 16, 2018

The Family That Left the Dolphins Game Early—and Missed a Miracle December 13, 2018

Beautiful Schadenfreude for Patriots Haters December 10, 2018

The XFL Goes PG December 6, 2018

Six years ago, Dykes retired. By then, he’d been doing some racing, which he enjoyed. His times were very solid—he ran a 3:16 marathon in 2012—but he thought a coach might help him go to a higher level. He hired a local trainer named John Goldthorp, and told him he wanted to win his age group at the Boston Marathon.

“Who is this guy?” Goldthorp recalled thinking.

A partnership was born. Dykes, who will train through the winter in the Philly cold and snow, is blessed with a runner’s reedy frame—he’s 5’10” and walks around at about 143 lbs., dropping to 138 lbs. for big races. But he isn’t obsessive about a lot of the things runners obsess over.

“I never stretch, never do flexibility exercises,” he said. “No weightlifting, no strength, no core.” Dykes doesn’t count calories or adhere to any special diet. “I tend to eat healthy, but I’ll eat junk food with the best of them,” he said.

Instead Dykes sticks to a much more straightforward philosophy:

“Just run,” he said.

(He called “Just Run” the working title to “a book I’m never going to get around to writing.”)

Dykes, who is affiliated with the Greater Philadelphia Track Club, just runs. Goldthorp, meanwhile, sets the training agenda—one to which Dykes closely adheres, running hard on hard workout days, and easy on easy ones, trying to avoid the common trap of failing to adequately push himself, or recover in between.

“Gene’s hard days have evolved,” Goldthorp said. “He’s able to do very hard sessions now, sessions that I never would have programmed for him in year one.” The coach believes Dykes’s secret is “consistency over time, just like investing.”

A devoted fan of super-long-distance ultra-running—in 2017, Dykes did three 200-mile events, including one around Mount St. Helens—Dykes racks up an enormous amount of mileage. It’s Goldthorp’s job to tailor Dykes’s training for big targets, like this year’s push to crack three hours in the marathon, which Dykes did for the first time this spring in Rotterdam, running 2:57:43.

It was the first time anyone other than Ed Whitlock had broken 3 hours at age 70 or older.

Dykes’s success has reached the level that he’s even been tested by antidoping officials a few times.

“That’s when you know you’ve arrived,” Goldthorp said, laughing.

Said Dykes: “I was very happy to have the opportunity to prove I only have the joy of running to pump me up.”

Goldthorp said it wasn’t until late last year that he and Dykes began to entertain the possibility of chasing Whitlock’s 70-74 mark. “It just seemed untouchable,” Goldthorp said. Whitlock, a snow-haired Canadian who famously trained in a cemetery near his house and died in 2017, remains a giant of distance running, with dozens of records across the sport.

“Let the record show that for age group world records, it’s still ED 35, GENE 1,” Dykes said.

That kind of humility is one of Dykes’s most pronounced characteristics, said his youngest daughter, Hilary Shirazi.

“I’m glad he broke this record, because he’d never go out of his way to share his accomplishments,” Shirazi said. “Even when I called him after [the record] to tell him I was proud, he said, ‘I’m just an old guy having fun.’”

Dykes’s wife, Olivia Mitchell, who teaches at Penn’s Wharton School, confided that her husband’s nickname is “#UltraGeezer.” (Yes, she used a hashtag. Professor Mitchell is cool.)

What’s next for UltraGeezer? At the moment, a rare stretch of time off—at least for a couple more weeks. But then Dykes will get right back on the road, stepping away from his focused marathon work to spend more time with his beloved ultrarunning.

“On the day [my break] ends, I’m going to run a 50-mile race in Louisiana,” Dykes said. “Two weeks later, I’m going to run a 50-mile race in Utah. When we get done, I’m going to run a 100-mile race in Texas, and two weeks after that, I’m going to run a 200-mile race in Australia.”

He’ll turn 71 on April 3. On April 15, he’ll be at the Boston Marathon, attempting to crack three hours there.

The UltraGeezer doesn’t stop.

“I do have this deeply embedded thing that I am just an ordinary runner,” said Gene Dykes, who the world now knows is anything but.

Searched and didn't find it, but I assume you guys have seen this.  Ultrageezer Gene Dykes.  He smashed Ed Whitlock's 70-74 AG record.  Pretty astonishing, particularly at the end of the article when he talks about his upcoming race schedule.  I would curl up on the floor and cry at the thought of that schedule.  

Retired computer programmer, lives in the Philadelphia suburbs, married to a University of Pennsylvania economics professor, two grown daughters, one grandkid. Likes to garden, plays golf a few times a month, once got pretty good at bowling, to the point he rolled four perfect games.

But here’s why we’re talking about Gene Dykes today: He just ran a world record sub-three hour marathon…at age 70.

Dykes’s 2:54:23 (per-mile pace: 6:39), which he ran at the Jacksonville Marathon on Dec. 15, shaved a startling 25 seconds off the 70-74 age group mark set by the late, legendary masters distance runner Ed Whitlock.

“I didn’t think this one was in my reach,” Dykes told me the other day on the phone, from his home in Bala Cynwyd, Pa. “Going into this year, I’d never run a marathon under three hours.”

What makes Dykes’s rise to record-setter so striking is that he was, by his own admission, a very average runner until he got a coach in his mid-60s.

Dykes, who grew up in Canton, Ohio, competed in track in high school and in college at Lehigh University, but, as he tells it, he wasn’t even close to a star.

“I was so, so thoroughly trounced on the track, that I really have this lifelong impression of myself as a mediocre runner,” he said.

Dykes would graduate college, get a Ph.D. in biochemistry, make a career in computer programming, and start a family. He ran on occasion, but only as a hobby.

“Sometimes I’d be in decent shape, sometimes not,” he said. “I didn’t race. There’s a big difference between racing, and just going out there and jogging for the fun of it.”

MORE JASON GAY

The Family That Left the Dolphins Game Early—and Missed a Miracle December 13, 2018

Six years ago, Dykes retired. By then, he’d been doing some racing, which he enjoyed. His times were very solid—he ran a 3:16 marathon in 2012—but he thought a coach might help him go to a higher level. He hired a local trainer named John Goldthorp, and told him he wanted to win his age group at the Boston Marathon.

A partnership was born. Dykes, who will train through the winter in the Philly cold and snow, is blessed with a runner’s reedy frame—he’s 5’10” and walks around at about 143 lbs., dropping to 138 lbs. for big races. But he isn’t obsessive about a lot of the things runners obsess over.

“I never stretch, never do flexibility exercises,” he said. “No weightlifting, no strength, no core.” Dykes doesn’t count calories or adhere to any special diet. “I tend to eat healthy, but I’ll eat junk food with the best of them,” he said.

“Just run,” he said.

(He called “Just Run” the working title to “a book I’m never going to get around to writing.”)

Dykes, who is affiliated with the Greater Philadelphia Track Club, just runs. Goldthorp, meanwhile, sets the training agenda—one to which Dykes closely adheres, running hard on hard workout days, and easy on easy ones, trying to avoid the common trap of failing to adequately push himself, or recover in between.

“Gene’s hard days have evolved,” Goldthorp said. “He’s able to do very hard sessions now, sessions that I never would have programmed for him in year one.” The coach believes Dykes’s secret is “consistency over time, just like investing.”

A devoted fan of super-long-distance ultra-running—in 2017, Dykes did three 200-mile events, including one around Mount St. Helens—Dykes racks up an enormous amount of mileage. It’s Goldthorp’s job to tailor Dykes’s training for big targets, like this year’s push to crack three hours in the marathon, which Dykes did for the first time this spring in Rotterdam, running 2:57:43.

It was the first time anyone other than Ed Whitlock had broken 3 hours at age 70 or older.

Dykes’s success has reached the level that he’s even been tested by antidoping officials a few times.

Said Dykes: “I was very happy to have the opportunity to prove I only have the joy of running to pump me up.”

Goldthorp said it wasn’t until late last year that he and Dykes began to entertain the possibility of chasing Whitlock’s 70-74 mark. “It just seemed untouchable,” Goldthorp said. Whitlock, a snow-haired Canadian who famously trained in a cemetery near his house and died in 2017, remains a giant of distance running, with dozens of records across the sport.

“Let the record show that for age group world records, it’s still ED 35, GENE 1,” Dykes said.

That kind of humility is one of Dykes’s most pronounced characteristics, said his youngest daughter, Hilary Shirazi.

“I’m glad he broke this record, because he’d never go out of his way to share his accomplishments,” Shirazi said. “Even when I called him after [the record] to tell him I was proud, he said, ‘I’m just an old guy having fun.’”

Dykes’s wife, Olivia Mitchell, who teaches at Penn’s Wharton School, confided that her husband’s nickname is “#UltraGeezer.” (Yes, she used a hashtag. Professor Mitchell is cool.)

What’s next for UltraGeezer? At the moment, a rare stretch of time off—at least for a couple more weeks. But then Dykes will get right back on the road, stepping away from his focused marathon work to spend more time with his beloved ultrarunning.

“On the day [my break] ends, I’m going to run a 50-mile race in Louisiana,” Dykes said. “Two weeks later, I’m going to run a 50-mile race in Utah. When we get done, I’m going to run a 100-mile race in Texas, and two weeks after that, I’m going to run a 200-mile race in Australia.”

He’ll turn 71 on April 3. On April 15, he’ll be at the Boston Marathon, attempting to crack three hours there.

“I do have this deeply embedded thing that I am just an ordinary runner,” said Gene Dykes, who the world now knows is anything but.
He's on Strava, I started following him yesterday after reading that article.

2018 Year-end Report

After a disappointing 2nd half of 2016 through all of 2017 I didn’t really have a clear goal at the start of 2018.  I started the year with a 5K training plan and I responded really well and was able to run PRs in the 8 mile, the 5 mile, and the 5K. I probably peaked in April when I ran a 36:30 10K during a workout.  Based on this early success I had loftier goals for the rest of the year, which I wasn’t able to achieve in the 10 miler and half marathon. This was a really good year for me and it was a lot fun, it is so much easier getting out the door to train when you have a realistic chance to PR.   

1 mile 5:02

5k 17:30

5 Mile 29:22

Quarter Marathon 38:56

Marathon 2:58:44

Coming in 2nd in the mile race was the most fun, but I would have to say mile 21-24 of the Richmond Marathon.  There is fine line between a successful marathon and a failed marathon, and I was fortunate that I had the fitness and will to finish strong.   

Broad Street Run, I couldn’t believe the training runs I had leading up to that race.  I was monster, it just didn’t work out.  The half marathon in September also sucked.

Currently at 2,658 at 7:43.  2nd highest mileage for me but my fastest year yet, previous best was 8:09.

I benefited from running more quality throughout the year, previous years I would only run quality workout about 24-30 weeks in a year with 12 in the spring and 12-18 in the fall.  This year I ran a quality workout over 40 weeks this past year.  I definitely benefited from all the quality but I think I may schedule a longer break in between the spring and fall seasons as I might have been too close to top shape most of the year.  Being “On” all the time helped contribute to me being burned out a bit after the marathon.  I needed a break from running and thinking about running.

@SteelCurtain really took it up a notch this year, with his training volume and performance.

@-OZ- being super cool meeting him in DC especially with me being an idiot and show up late because I went to the wrong location.  Like everyone else I have met from this thread, a good dude.

@Juxtatarot PR in the marathon running with the young twins, and showing he can run likely run a marathon even faster after setting a huge half PR.

@MAC_32's BQ, with a painful finish.

@gianmarco– his excitement about being new to running is what this thread needed.  Loved the gorilla suit, his race report from Italy, and his new best friend Chief (when will he be back).    

@gruecd- it’s good to see the OG back to consistent training and his sub 3 marathon.

@bushdocda– we were both following Hansons for fall marathons and it was cool see him run the same workouts each morning. It was fun to track his PR at Marine Corp.

@SFBayDuckGrindstone 100, he runs a 100 mile race, doesn’t sleep for 2 nights, and one of the first things he does it post here in the thread. Plus it is really well written. (better than anything I could write)

@Brony– Continuing to battle the leg injury, I don’t know what to say or how he does it.  It must be frustrating as hell, but he keeps looking for solutions and manages it.

Goal(s) for 2019:

I don’t want to think past my scheduled half in March.  I will be following the Hansons half method for this one. Hopefully I will get the book for Christmas, this week I start loosely follow the schedule from the book I found online.  I feel as though my weakest PR is the half and my weakness as a runner is tempo through marathon pace. 

@pbm107  Nice report!  And very kind words about so many of the runners here!  

Is your half going to be the Love Run?  One of these days everything is going to click for you in a half.  I know you've had bad luck with allergies an other things out of your control. You responded well to Hansons this fall so I'm optimistic about your chances this spring doing similar training (before allergy season, anyway)!  I suspect you're a better runner at that distance than you think you are.

@pbm107  Nice report!  And very kind words about so many of the runners here!  

Is your half going to be the Love Run?  One of these days everything is going to click for you in a half.  I know you've had bad luck with allergies an other things out of your control. You responded well to Hansons this fall so I'm optimistic about your chances this spring doing similar training (before allergy season, anyway)!  I suspect you're a better runner at that distance than you think you are.
Yeah the Love Run, this is where I set my half PR. We’ll see how the training goes.  Have you decided on a goal race for the spring?

I remember January for some reason.  I'm also very curious what he wrote to get such a hammer.
He made a joke about Joe Bryant's wife's private parts.  When I read it, I thought about PMing a warning to him to delete/hide the comment because it may not come across with the humor intended.  But I then got sidetracked and never did.

Yeah the Love Run, this is where I set my half PR. We’ll see how the training goes.  Have you decided on a goal race for the spring?
I'll probably sign up for that Carmel, IN marathon that Grue and Ocram are running.  The price goes up $5 after December 31 so I promised myself to make a decision by then.  That's the day before your half so that might be an exciting weekend around here.

I'll probably sign up for that Carmel, IN marathon that Grue and Ocram are running.  The price goes up $5 after December 31 so I promised myself to make a decision by then.  That's the day before your half so that might be an exciting weekend around here.
Good strategy - annoyingly draft the monstrous grue for 20 miles then burn rubber and leave him angrily in the dust.

2018 Year-end Report

I know I came in a month early writing some similar stuff but I'll go ahead and do it the right way.

At the start of the year, I was just coming off running my 2nd race, a 15K, which was both successful and unsuccessful all rolled into one.  But, I was hooked and actually started mapping out the year, laying out race plans and starting to figure out training plans.  My main goal was to keep running, run more, and get faster with the June relay race the highlight of what I wanted to do.  There's no doubt I've obviously continued running, run more, and I definitely got faster.  Relay race was accomplished and couldn't have asked for much more despite initially being disappointed with the end.  The fact that I've finished the year where I have and still have interest to keep going is the biggest success of all. 

Well, when you just start, obviously most everything is going to be a PR.  However, while I'm sure it is pretty decent, I look at my overall improvement compared to the end of last year right after I just started and some of these results aren't THAT much faster.  It's crazy how quick the gains can come early and how that slows down.  I know with consistent training I've got more I can do, but realistically that's going to take some time to realize if it ever happens at all.  We shall see.  But, here goes

1 mile -- 6:38 unofficial (ran during the 1st mile of my 5K PR below)

5K PR -- 23:00 (better part was it was my 2nd PR at this distance and the 1st was set during the relay race)

10K PR -- 48:27 (first time at this distance)

15K PR -- 1:17:15

HM PR -- 1:54:33

Aside from the PRs, the accomplishment of finishing the HM has to be included.  Finishing it never seemed in doubt until I was actually out there.  Looking back, I needed to realize that just doing it was a success as well.

Well, there are a couple that stick out here.  The first is my 1st leg of the relay race and setting a solid 5K PR while doing so.  I was so hungry for that race and in particular for that leg and hitting that number felt great.  It made for a difficult rest of the day but still worth it in hindsight.  The next has to be my race in Italy, not for the time, but for the experience of it all.  So memorable and so enjoyable.  I'm not sure why but it was amazing.  And as an honorable mention, I have to include the 15K I just did a couple weeks ago.  I was not in shape, not terribly motivated, but after some poor races this year, I wanted to run it smartly and use it as a springboard into this year and successfully did that. 

This one is easy.  My Half Marathon without a doubt.  I keep kicking myself over how that went and how poorly I managed it.  No need to rehash, but that one is going to sting for a bit and provide some fuel for 2019 for sure. 

Currently at 895, so I'm going to fall short of the 1000 I was hoping to hit when I saw where I was halfway through 2018.  But, not getting there doesn't bother me that much.  I feel like I put in a good bit of time, especially just starting out and given my work/family situation.  April was awesome, running every single day except April 1st. 

Way too many.  First is just the benefit of getting out.  Just no substitute for it.  My current fitness level is garbage and I feel awful.  It's amazing how different it feels when you've gotten some quality workouts in.  I've also learned quite a bit about racing itself.  I look back at my very first race, the 5K last October, and I still can't believe how well I raced it, running at a pace I never had AND negative splitting.  Since then, I've failed pretty miserably at replicating that feat.  I now know what it feels like to hit a wall.  To struggle through a long race.  To look back and realize that it takes discipline to run smart. 

Man, this is tough because I remember lots of things at different times.  I know it's been mentioned before, but things I read about in here stick in a weird way sometimes.  I've been out on a run and then a post or line from a post will just jump out at me.  It's great for motivation and for learning.  But, I especially love following along in here and on Strava and I'm constantly awed by what some of you do.

So, in no particular order:

@pbm107 -- I hope you don't mind me saying this, but your Broad Street Run has stuck with me probably the most out of any runs for anyone here.  You were absolutely primed to kill that race.  When I saw your time and read your report, it was a gut punch.  I remember feeling pretty down after reading your report and not even responding to it and I couldn't even imagine what you were feeling after putting the work you did in.  And it was then that I realized that nothing is a given with running and racing.  I also realized how much what you guys do really means and how invested I get in following along.  So, to follow up, watching you crush Richmond was so gratifying.  Was truly so happy for you. 

@Juxtatarot -- Not much to really add other than you were an absolute machine this year in terms of training and PRs.  A gold standard and you deserved every one of those accomplishments.  And, aside from your own racing, always great advice and feedback personally. 

@MAC_32 -- Well, your marathon report is the highlight.  Reading how you gutted out the end and squeezed everything you could to hit your goal is something I remind myself of a lot.  More importantly, with no disrespect meant to anyone else, your advice and feedback resonates with me more than anyone else.  Your perspective has completely changed mine as this year has closed out and moving forward.  In particular, your post following my poor HM race really changed how I looked at that whole race and running/training/racing in general.  So, thanks....

@ChiefD/ @Ocram -- First of all, stop getting banned.  Secondly, I'm so glad that health-wise, you're back out and running and training for Carmel.  Right along with pbm, reading your race report for the HM that didn't go well hit hard.  Knowing that you wanted to get out there so bad and couldn't and thinking that it was likely the last time was tough to swallow.  Watching you get out for these long runs and start putting in the miles is so pleasing to follow along.  I'm probably looking forward to your Carmel race more than anyone else's coming up.  On top of that, your constant encouragement here is contagious.  Finally, meeting in person, you're every bit the good dude you are on here and then some.  Thanks, GB.

@JShare87 -- That picture of you finishing the Treasure Coast Marathon with a smile of joy is one of my favorite pictures ever.  I think of that, especially during difficult training times and during some hard spots in races.  After a difficult marathon debut, you absolutely killed that race.  I hate the injuries you've had to go through this year and hope that things can improve because it's clear how much you love running.  Just a BMF. 

@SteelCurtain -- Boston.  What a beast.  In awful weather, you got out there and got it done.  Your training and miles this year, geez.  And even with all that, your pacing report was the cherry on top.  You seemed to work so hard for that to help others and that says it all.  Seeing the comments you got afterward from runners thanking you was so gratifying to read.  Another one that has always stepped up with great advice for me, so thank you  :)

@gruecd -- Despite running as long as you have and yet you still decide to go out and PR your marathon.  Outrageous.  Along with Steel, Juxt, and PBM, just another gold standard around here.

@tri-man 47 -- Love the experience you always bring.  And while it may not have been a big deal, the race that the three of you Chicago gents ran and dominated is one of the ones I remember the most. 

@Brony -- See above with tri-man.  But your last 5K was a great race report to read after your constant battling as well.  Watching some increased distances over the last few months has been great to see.  Hope it continues.

@bushdocda -- I've already said it before, but you're where I'd like to see myself in the next couple years.  Some relentless training and it paid off in your marathon.  I use your training as some serious motivation and you've set a high bar.  Congrats on a great race.

@Zasada -- Dude comes out of the mountains of Canada and just destroys his first HM.  That was so awesome to watch and, given you and both recently started, a rivalry has been born!  Seriously, what an amazing race you had and can't wait to see how you do in this marathon. 

@SFBayDuck -- Nothing I really need to say here.  You're on a completely different level that I can't even begin to comprehend, especially from a mental standpoint.  I don't know how you do it but ....  :bow:  

@JAA -- Your lake swim stands out even though it wasn't technically a race.  You tri guys are a different breed.  I love what you bring here as a result. 

@Hang 10 -- I know you don't post here as much anymore, but you still stick out to me from when I first started out here.  Your 20 mile race was awesome to see.  I know you're killing it on the bike now and hope that you can someday get back out running if you want to.

Sorry to anyone I missed or anything I might have gotten wrong up top as I'm doing it from memory.

I hope I've provided some laughs as a complete newb in this thread over the last year.  I know this is meant for funny stuff, but I look back at 2018 and no way I get to where I am now without this thread.  Big, big thank you.

Goal(s) for 2019:

Have fun.

But seriously, I want to get a good 2-3 month base stretch of hitting 35-40 MPW and see where that takes me.  After that, I'm looking forward to our relay race in June and hope I can do well and better than last year.  Finally, that HM in October is circled on the calendar.  I'm going to make it my #####.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ima start with the funny one, my favorite annual game – what @SFBayDuck Duck Tale stuck with me this year.  Because it’s always one of those.  And this time it was taking 3 days post-race to realize miles 95-“100” of ‘going around in circles crossing the same creek over and over again’ (paraphrasing) at Grindstone were in fact the exact same miles he had ran about 30some hours prior and not something different. Ever wanna run a 100 miler, kids? This is what you have to look forward to.
This still messes with me, almost 3 months later.  I've had several dreams about wandering through the Virginia woods those last few miles, and I always have that same pissed off and confused feeling I had that night.  Tahoe 200 is still on my list for the next couple of years, but given what I went through at Grindstone I just can't comprehend what I'll feel like on nights 3 and 4, even with a few naps thrown in.

2018 Year-end Report

I know I came in a month early writing some similar stuff but I'll go ahead and do it the right way.

At the start of the year, I was just coming off running my 2nd race, a 15K, which was both successful and unsuccessful all rolled into one.  But, I was hooked and actually started mapping out the year, laying out race plans and starting to figure out training plans.  My main goal was to keep running, run more, and get faster with the June relay race the highlight of what I wanted to do.  There's no doubt I've obviously continued running, run more, and I definitely got faster.  Relay race was accomplished and couldn't have asked for much more despite initially being disappointed with the end.  The fact that I've finished the year where I have and still have interest to keep going is the biggest success of all. 

Well, when you just start, obviously most everything is going to be a PR.  However, while I'm sure it is pretty decent, I look at my overall improvement compared to the end of last year right after I just started and some of these results aren't THAT much faster.  It's crazy how quick the gains can come early and how that slows down.  I know with consistent training I've got more I can do, but realistically that's going to take some time to realize if it ever happens at all.  We shall see.  But, here goes

1 mile -- 6:38 unofficial (ran during the 1st mile of my 5K PR below)

5K PR -- 23:00 (better part was it was my 2nd PR at this distance and the 1st was set during the relay race)

10K PR -- 48:27 (first time at this distance)

15K PR -- 1:17:15

HM PR -- 1:54:33

Aside from the PRs, the accomplishment of finishing the HM has to be included.  Finishing it never seemed in doubt until I was actually out there.  Looking back, I needed to realize that just doing it was a success as well.

Well, there are a couple that stick out here.  The first is my 1st leg of the relay race and setting a solid 5K PR while doing so.  I was so hungry for that race and in particular for that leg and hitting that number felt great.  It made for a difficult rest of the day but still worth it in hindsight.  The next has to be my race in Italy, not for the time, but for the experience of it all.  So memorable and so enjoyable.  I'm not sure why but it was amazing.  And as an honorable mention, I have to include the 15K I just did a couple weeks ago.  I was not in shape, not terribly motivated, but after some poor races this year, I wanted to run it smartly and use it as a springboard into this year and successfully did that. 

This one is easy.  My Half Marathon without a doubt.  I keep kicking myself over how that went and how poorly I managed it.  No need to rehash, but that one is going to sting for a bit and provide some fuel for 2019 for sure. 

Currently at 895, so I'm going to fall short of the 1000 I was hoping to hit when I saw where I was halfway through 2018.  But, not getting there doesn't bother me that much.  I feel like I put in a good bit of time, especially just starting out and given my work/family situation.  April was awesome, running every single day except April 1st. 

Way too many.  First is just the benefit of getting out.  Just no substitute for it.  My current fitness level is garbage and I feel awful.  It's amazing how different it feels when you've gotten some quality workouts in.  I've also learned quite a bit about racing itself.  I look back at my very first race, the 5K last October, and I still can't believe how well I raced it, running at a pace I never had AND negative splitting.  Since then, I've failed pretty miserably at replicating that feat.  I now know what it feels like to hit a wall.  To struggle through a long race.  To look back and realize that it takes discipline to run smart. 

Man, this is tough because I remember lots of things at different times.  I know it's been mentioned before, but things I read about in here stick in a weird way sometimes.  I've been out on a run and then a post or line from a post will just jump out at me.  It's great for motivation and for learning.  But, I especially love following along in here and on Strava and I'm constantly awed by what some of you do.

So, in no particular order:

@pbm107 -- I hope you don't mind me saying this, but your Broad Street Run has stuck with me probably the most out of any runs for anyone here.  You were absolutely primed to kill that race.  When I saw your time and read your report, it was a gut punch.  I remember feeling pretty down after reading your report and not even responding to it and I couldn't even imagine what you were feeling after putting the work you did in.  And it was then that I realized that nothing is a given with running and racing.  I also realized how much what you guys do really means and how invested I get in following along.  So, to follow up, watching you crush Richmond was so gratifying.  Was truly so happy for you. 

@Juxtatarot -- Not much to really add other than you were an absolute machine this year in terms of training and PRs.  A gold standard and you deserved every one of those accomplishments.  And, aside from your own racing, always great advice and feedback personally. 

@MAC_32 -- Well, your marathon report is the highlight.  Reading how you gutted out the end and squeezed everything you could to hit your goal is something I remind myself of a lot.  More importantly, with no disrespect meant to anyone else, your advice and feedback resonates with more than anyone else.  Your perspective has completely changed mine as this year has closed out and moving forward.  In particular, your post following my poor HM race really changed how I looked at that whole race and running/training/racing in general.  So, thanks....

@ChiefD/ @Ocram -- First of all, stop getting banned.  Secondly, I'm so glad that health-wise, you're back out and running and training for Carmel.  Right along with pbm, reading your race report for the HM that didn't go well hit hard.  Knowing that you wanted to get out there so bad and couldn't and thinking that it was likely the last time was tough to swallow.  Watching you get out for these long runs and start putting in the miles is so pleasing to follow along.  I'm probably looking forward to your Carmel race more than anyone else's coming up.  On top of that, your constant encouragement here is contagious.  Finally, meeting in person, you're every bit the good dude you are on here and then some.  Thanks, GB.

@JShare87 -- That picture of you finishing the Treasure Coast Marathon with a smile of joy is one of my favorite pictures ever.  I think of that, especially during difficult training times and during some hard spots in races.  After a difficult marathon debut, you absolutely killed that race.  I hate the injuries you'd have to go through this year and hope that things can improve because it's clear how much you love running.  Just a BMF. 

@SteelCurtain -- Boston.  What a beast.  In awful weather, you got out there and got it done.  Your training and miles this year, geez.  And even with all that, your pacing report was the cherry on top.  You seemed to work so hard for that to help others and that says it all.  Seeing the comments you got afterward from runners thanking you was so gratifying to read.  Another one that has always stepped up with great advice for me, so thank you  :)

@gruecd -- Despite running as long as you have and yet you still decide to go out and PR your marathon.  Outrageous.  Along with Steel, Juxt, and PBM, just another gold standard around here.

@tri-man 47 -- Love the experience you always bring.  And while it may not have been a big deal, the race that the three of you Chicago gents ran and dominated is one of the ones I remember the most. 

@Brony -- See above with tri-man.  But your last 5K was a great race report to read after your constant battling as well.  Watching some increased distances over the last few months has been great to see.  Hope it continues.

@bushdocda -- I've already said it before, but you're where I'd like to see myself in the next couple years.  Some relentless training and it paid off in your marathon.  I use your training as some serious motivation and you've set a high bar.  Congrats on a great race.

@Zasada -- Dude comes out of the mountains of Canada and just destroys his first HM.  That was so awesome to watch and, given you and both recently started, a rivalry has been born!  Seriously, what an amazing race you had and can't wait to see how you do in this marathon. 

@SFBayDuck -- Nothing I really need to say here.  You're on a completely different level that I can't even begin to comprehend, especially from a mental standpoint.  I don't know how you do it but ....  :bow:  

@JAA -- Your lake swim stands out even though it wasn't technically a race.  You tri guys are a different breed.  I love what you bring here as a result. 

@Hang 10 -- I know you don't post here as much anymore, but you still stick out to me from when I first started out here.  Your 20 mile race was awesome to see.  I know you're killing it on the bike now and hope that you can someday get back out running if you want to.

Sorry to anyone I missed or anything I might have gotten wrong up top as I'm doing it from memory.

I hope I've provided some laughs as a complete newb in this thread over the last year.  I know this is meant for funny stuff, but I look back at 2018 and no way I get to where I am now without this thread.  Big, big thank you.

Goal(s) for 2019:

Have fun.

But seriously, I want to get a good 2-3 month base stretch of hitting 35-40 MPW and see where that takes me.  After that, I'm looking forward to our relay race in June and hope I can do well and better than last year.  Finally, that HM in October is circled on the calendar.  I'm going to make it my #####.
I really appreciate what you said about me.

I really appreciate what you said about me.
He's dead on accurate about that BAMF picture too.  If Chief hadn't made a (probably) hilarious but poorly timed vagina joke this would be a perfect spot for a run-on la-di-da.

This still messes with me, almost 3 months later.  I've had several dreams about wandering through the Virginia woods those last few miles, and I always have that same pissed off and confused feeling I had that night.  Tahoe 200 is still on my list for the next couple of years, but given what I went through at Grindstone I just can't comprehend what I'll feel like on nights 3 and 4, even with a few naps thrown in.
Joke's on you - you're really still just wandering around that same ####### mountain two months later and are just too delirious to realize it.  

Ugh, completely forgot @-OZ- and @Ned

That Racing the Station race was pretty neat.  With all you've had going on, just impressive to see you out there as much as you are.

And, love seeing Ned back out there.  I only had to miss 3 weeks and it was so frustrating.  I can't even imagine.  Hoping 2019 allows you to get back to being a BMF.

I still have the greatest avatar ever. 

Marking the spot to remind myself to write a report. But I'll probably wait until the afternoon of the 31st, if I survive the holidays and the recover from the holidays 50k. 

2018 Year-end Report

Your goals coming into the year, and were they achieved?

Your proudest and/or best race (or segment within a race):

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

Goal(s) for 2019:

Ugh, completely forgot @-OZ- and @Ned

That Racing the Station race was pretty neat.  With all you've had going on, just impressive to see you out there as much as you are.

And, love seeing Ned back out there.  I only had to miss 3 weeks and it was so frustrating.  I can't even imagine.  Hoping 2019 allows you to get back to being a BMF.

I still have the greatest avatar ever. 
This is not meant to put any pressure on him whatsoever, but...what the hell.  I think 2019's biggest story in here will be the return of @Ned.  And I can't wait to tune in and watch it unfold.

Juxtatarot’s 2018 Year-end Report

I never got around to writing a 2017 race report and didn’t set concrete goals.  I hadn’t run much in late 2017 since I was trying to rest my heel injury. After signing up for my spring marathon, my only goal was to finish with a BQ with a time around 3:15.  I hadn’t finished a marathon since 2015 and wanted to prove that I could still run one in the ballpark of past results.

Although most of my improvements were modest, this ended up being my best year of running.  I set PRs in the marathon (2:56:51), half marathon (1:20:23), 5-mile (29:40) and twice in 5Ks (17:45 and 17:41).

My best race was the fall half marathon.  That’s best from a McMillan calculator standpoint but also from a confidence standpoint to build on for next year.  

I also had a spring half marathon that was quite happy about.  I missed a PR at the time by one second but it is a harder course than the old PR.  The race gave me the confidence to attempt a marathon PR and really set up my whole successful year.

I ran three 5Ks that I failed to break 18:00.  Those weren’t huge disappointments since I think I had excuses for all of them but I know I hoped to do a little better.

2,757 miles so far.  That’s my most ever. I’m also on a current running streak of 152 straight days.  My record is 169 days set in 2016 which I hope to surpass. More on that later.

Several things.

I was happy with my nutrition leading up to my marathon.  I think that helped postpone glycogen depletion until the last mile or so. I always struggle with that.   I mainly just cut out a lot of fat the last three or four days and substituted carbs -- a lot of potatoes, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta and brown rice.  I’ll do the same thing again.

I learned to focus on muscle tightness to keep injuries in check.  I think I repeated got a tight knot in my left calf for at least two years (probably longer) that (I think) caused much of my heel/Achilles issues over the years.  After I rolled that out consistently in March, it’s been much better. I also have to keep a diligent eye on my piriformis muscles and hips.

I hope I learned to better judge the effect that fatigue has on performance.  I had a stretch in the fall of setting PRs in four straight races about a month apart.  I could never run those paces for long in training but when properly rested, I started to know I’d be fine.  I used to get frustrated by not hitting training paces that I’d felt like I should but hopefully now I’ll be able to better take it in stride.

Finally, I validated that my training methods can work OK for me.   As I’ve mentioned before, I refuse to follow training schedules. Although I follow a lot of the principles I’ve read about, I like the flexibility of doing whatever I feel like doing based on fatigue, mood, or the weather -- not because a book or coach tells me to.  Also, for most runs (speed and pace runs are an exception), I run the pace that I feel like running. I subscribe to the theory that the body knows more than the brain and we just have to listen to it. I normally run at a pace where it would be annoying to run slower but not easy enough to run faster.  That sweet spot varies from day to day for more reasons than my mind can figure out. My belief is that pace is a great pace to train at. The body knows intuitively. I hadn’t had huge amounts of success doing that in 2016 or 2017 but this year things clicked.

I’ll use this place for some year end comments:

@pbm107 I was very happy to see your marathon success after such a rough stretch.  I’ve felt a special kinship with you since we race at similar paces and follow each other so closely every morning on Strava.  I always love when you mention some insight about my training that you’ve noticed that I’d forgotten or didn’t even realize!.

@tri-man 47 It was fun medal mongering with you again this year and hope for more next year.

@Brony As others have said, your perseverance despite your injury is amazing.  The fact that you’re so fast despite limited volume shows how naturally talented you are.  I remain hopeful that someday you’ll be able to train without limitations -- even if that’s still years from now.

@gruecd It was great to see you get your mojo back after some lackluster years (relatively speaking to your talent, of course).  I’m looking forward to your successes next year. Although I do wish you’d prioritize some shorter distance races. I think that might help you in marathons.

@MAC_32It was fun virtually marathon training with you this winter.  I’m glad you were happy with your result although I know you’ll someday accomplish much better.  You’re more talented than any of us. I’m disappointed that a marathon and increased training volume isn’t in the plans in 2019 but you’re still a young man and have plenty of time.

@JShare87 How I wish you’d be injury free and I could take you out of Florida and stick you in the Midwest with reasonable weather!  Regardless, you always seem to overcome. Your BMF comment/story is something I’m sure I’ll remember to my dying days.

@Hang 10 Your injury was the most disappointing event for me of 2018.  You were killing it in running and set up for great results. I’m glad you were able to pivot so well into biking.   Don’t be a stranger in these parts!

@gianmarco I know it’s been more than a year now, but your enthusiasm since being a regular in this thread has been a breath of fresh air.  You always ask great questions and quickly became a great advice giver yourself. I mean, where would any of us be without neuromuscular connections priming runs, right?  I also look forward to sometime in 2019 when you finish buying that last item imaginable that runners could buy.

@Ocram I love your passion for running and the enthusiasm you have in this thread.  How supportive you are to all of us speaks volume on your personal character. I’m quite certain you’ll have a successful marathon despite some of the health hurdles you’ve had.

@SFBayDuck I remember us discussing how what we do are kind of different sports.  Although some day I think I might try it, I have little concept on what it takes to keep going for hours and hours and hours.  I always love reading your comments on training and nutrition. And your race report are second to none.

@bushdocda I was very happy to see your marathon improvement this second go-around.  Some of the most important traits one needs in this sport is dedication and it’s clear you have that.  I look forward to what you have in store next year.

@-OZ-  You have a dedication to fitness that I admire that is much deeper than some of the one trick ponies like me.  It’s amazing how you manage that considering your family commitments.

@JAA Your training volume is always impressive.  Congrats on your successes this year. I hope you get a Strava CR this next year even if you have to dig a moat.

@Steel Curtain Speaking of volume, congrats on 3,000 miles!  I love your passion for running and the success it’s brought.  I also admire your desire to help others whether that comes from being a pacer or from your extensive Strava network and presence.  

@Zasada  It was great reading about your half marathon success and I’m confident you’ll do well popping your marathon cherry.  I think I’d have better thoughts and advice about your running if I could only convert KMs to miles in my head better.

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

I just want to mention how much I appreciate this thread.  In real life I know very few runners so it’s great to have others who not only listen to me go on and on about running but have an understanding and appreciation for the dedication it takes.

Goal(s) for 2019:

What I’ll focus on the most is a goal to run every day through the Chicago Marathon in October.  I’m probably only get in a mile or two a few times if I’m sick or there is a blizzard or something but I’ll declare that it still counts.  I understand that running everyday isn’t necessary and might not even be optimal but it’s easier for my peace of mind to focus on consistency.  My hope is that by doing that things will nicely fall into place.

2019 will be the year of the marathon for me.  I officially signed up for the Carmel Marathon today that will be in late March and will also run the Chicago Marathon this fall.  This would be the first time running two marathons in a year since 2012. I’m optimistic about my chances for success. Right now I feel like I’m the fastest and in the best shape I’ve ever been.  I started running 8-mile tempos the last four weeks and have been doing them at paces I wouldn’t have felt possible without significant rest. I think my endurance needs a little work but I have plenty of time to improve that.  

MORE JASON GAY

“Just run,” he said.

You know I read this stuff and think, "hmm, could I?"  The key word here is "retired."  As my year-end report will discuss, another too-busy academic year has hampered by training.  But, still, Dykes' seriously sub-3:00 effort is almost unimaginable.  I truly dream of being capable of such efforts.  Thanks for sharing.

Not sure I really have much of a report other than I crashed and burned in 2018 which continued from 2017.  Had some health issues and personal issues to boot.  Working to get back into the swing in 2019.  Less races and more selective with them, more focus on all around health wellness,  and a resolution to PR a couple of distances I have not been able to yet.  I’ve been lurking, but haven’t had much to add lately.  I’m at Disney World through tomorrow and looking forward to getting back back home and enjoying some time off.  As I’ve  said many times to all of you, keep inspiring me with what you all do so well.  I’m nowhere near being on the same level, but I understand the goals you strive for and your determination to do so.

O

I’m also on a current running streak of 152 straight days.  
I noticed this on Strava but hadn't read about it on this thread.  Incredible.  Do you have a specific goal in mind for how long you want the streak to go?

I've increased my training to 6x weekly but even though I would love to go to 7x I find the day off really allows my legs to recover from the perma-sore they seem to be in most of the time now.

Also, for most runs (speed and pace runs are an exception), I run the pace that I feel like running. I subscribe to the theory that the body knows more than the brain and we just have to listen to it. I normally run at a pace where it would be annoying to run slower but not easy enough to run faster.  That sweet spot varies from day to day for more reasons than my mind can figure out. My belief is that pace is a great pace to train at. The body knows intuitively. 
This really spoke to me.  So many days are like this even though I've never really internalized it like you have.  Some days I go out to Prairie Mountain with no intention of attempting a PR on my ascent, but then my legs feel good 1/3 of the way in and I decide to give it a go.  Other days I can feel the fatigue in my legs and just know that I should take it easier.  The only thing I find that I have to "force" myself to do is just to get out and do something.  Once I'm doing that "something" it's easier to figure-out what pace is best.

Finally, I love looking at your runs on Strava not just because you're an elite runner but because you live in Naperville and it's cool to see you running around Chicagoland.  I used to live in Wood Dale but my attempt at starting a running habit didn't last long there (wicked bursitis in my knee after a few weeks).  Have some Lou Malnati's for me and I'll live vicariously through you!

Congrats on the great year and all the PRs.  All of them are phenomenal.  

PS Converting KMs to miles is a pain but it's very close to 5/8ths.  So a 5:00min KM is roughly equal to an 8:00mile.  That's how I do the reverse when reading race reports here!

Another interesting "milestone" passed yesterday.  Lots of days I have company for my hikes and/or trail runs, but almost never do I have company for a street run.  A friend joined me for my 20KM yesterday and he's been recovering from an injury so we ran a little slower than I planned.  

But for the first time ever I was able to have a conversation with someone while running.  In the past it has been an exercise of trying to spit out words between gasps but yesterday it was quite comfortable.

Not a huge metric my any means but I found it notable.  It was nice to not run for a couple hours with someone in awkward silence because I can't talk.

I noticed this on Strava but hadn't read about it on this thread.  Incredible.  Do you have a specific goal in mind for how long you want the streak to go?

I've increased my training to 6x weekly but even though I would love to go to 7x I find the day off really allows my legs to recover from the perma-sore they seem to be in most of the time now.

This really spoke to me.  So many days are like this even though I've never really internalized it like you have.  Some days I go out to Prairie Mountain with no intention of attempting a PR on my ascent, but then my legs feel good 1/3 of the way in and I decide to give it a go.  Other days I can feel the fatigue in my legs and just know that I should take it easier.  The only thing I find that I have to "force" myself to do is just to get out and do something.  Once I'm doing that "something" it's easier to figure-out what pace is best.
Keep sticking with it and 7x per week should come. It seemed crazy and unwise to me 2-3 years ago, but the body adapts over time. I hadn't done more than 16 days in a row before this year and when I did anything like that issues followed. This year without trying I went to 19 days then 23 and finally 35. And each time either the calendar or inclement weather stopped me, not my body. 

So now 7x per week doesnt seem crazy, but 150 days in a row (and counting) does. So naturally I will probably be doing just that come 2020. 

My plan is to go through the Chicago Marathon in October.

I don’t want to give the impression that running every day is the right thing to do. Rest days are beneficial like you mention. For me, it becomes more of a mental trick to keep me from slacking too much.

2018 Year-end Report

As a newb to the thread, I'll fill one out to have for next year. Really had no goals coming into the year - wanted to get back into something but had no plan. Have yo yo'd weight over the last few years - went from Bout 245 to 203 doing mostly crossfit a couple years ago before falling off the wagon again.

In April-ish, I had dinner and drinks with a buddy and former coworker. After a couple beers or so and reminiscing about a failed plan to do a half marathon a few years ago, we deciding we would run the half in the Indy Monumental in November. Plans were made but no effort put in. In July I stepped on a scale to find out I was back up to almost 240 again. Tried to get back to working out but only real success was changing eating a bit. 

Along rolls September and I hit my buddy up to see if we were going to do the half marathon or not. We decide to go for it with about 8 weeks to get ready - neither of us had done anything to prepare yet. So, the goal became to go from nothing to half marathon in 8 weeks...

Ran the half marathon in a very satisfying 2:10 - made more satisfying by story to follow of how 7/8 weeks to prepare became about 4...

That half marathon without a doubt...

So... With about 7 or 8 weeks to get ready to run, and a desire to break 2 hours, I set a training program on paper. It all looked great and the first week started... A few good runs in over lunch in the first week and then I head out to do 4 miles or so on Saturday... And promptly roll the crap out of my ankle about a quarter mile from my house - totally stupid on my part by not paying attention to where I was going and stepped on the edge of the sidewalk. 

Literally could barely walk for a week. Next week was getting better but was still debating if I was going to half to bail on the half. Next week started doing a little riding on the assault bike at work. After a week or so of that I went out for a run that wasn't too bad but still had pain and swelling. Kept at it and decided even if I had to walk a chunk I could at least finish the 13.1 miles. So ended up with about 4 weeks of running to get ready. About 2 weeks before I did 8.5 miles at 11 minutes a mile or so. 

So.. Running th half at 9:57 pace and being consistent throughout the race was huge. I was hoping for something in the 2:15 to 2:30 range when the gun went off. First mile was done in just under 10 and felt good, so I just kept churning. Finishing right at 2:10 was something special for me - being 48 and about 40 pounds overweight at the time of the race.

Rolling the crap out of my ankle sucked for sure. Done it many times over the years, particularly playing basketball. Kind of scary doing it as an old fart.

Had a couple 5k races I have done to and haven't turned in the time I thought I might be able to but that's ok - speed is on the way, IMO. 

Not sure exactly. Bounced around on a couple different apps, tracking methods before settling on strava after landing in here. Also decided I hate wearing/carrying my phone so tracking done by treadmill and /or Fitbit so imperfect at best. Should be getting a Garmin for Christmas so looking forward to more accurate tracking next year.

That a fat, old, former cross country runner still has some miles in him and still loves the challenge of a good run. It's been a slow process going from 235 down to just under 220 with the holidays in here but I feel a ton better while still having lots of room to improve. I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to commit to more days a week if the weather, work, and life will cooperate. The progress so far has been fun to see and motivating to push further. 

Just joined shortly ago but following several people and seeing some of the race reports is awesome. Gian's race in Italy was very cool. The ultra stuff some of you do is nuts but interesting to read the after reports. 

Sappy but heartfelt moment... The community here is awesome. Pretty much from my first post I've felt welcomed into the thread. I'm an old, slow, out of shape guy just trying to reclaim some health and feeling of youth. The encouragement has been huge. The instant inclusion is motivational. Pretty cool thing you have built here, IMO. Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Goal(s) for 2019:

Currently signed up for the Indy mini the first weekend in May. Would like to finish that at about 1:45. Still not sure if my eyes are too big or not but we will see. 

Also plan to do the half again in November and see how far I will have come in a year.

Also curious how fast I can do a 5k. As a mediocre high schooler, I ran one in 18:01. About 5 years ago I did one in 23:45 while just "working out" rather than any real effort to train running. Not sure I have a goal time yet, but definitely want to go faster than 23:45.

Other goals are around weight/lifestyle - I need to get down to around 200 lbs at the least but preferably 185 ish. 

Actually probably have to change my self description. By pretty much every measurable, I have dropped from "obese" to just "overweight" but just barely. Still a nice feeling to break the barrier! 

Actually probably have to change my self description. By pretty much every measurable, I have dropped from "obese" to just "overweight" but just barely. Still a nice feeling to break the barrier! 
You have kicked some major ### in a short period of time. You should seriously be proud of yourself.

I know all of us here are proud of you. Just awesome.

Goal(s) for 2018:

"Gotta run a couple 5ks as that distance has been a miss thus far" - ✔️ ran 2 and liked it

"run > 5 races" –  ✔️  ran 6 (17.75k, trail half, 2 5ks, 10m, 26.2m)

"Not sure I will hit 2000 miles in 2018 but it will be a large chunk over 1000 assuming healthy. Let’s shoot for 1500" - ✔️  got it today.

"Will sub 4 marathon and hopefully in a position to target 3:45" - ✔️  got this one by 1 second. 

1st 5k ever and improved on 2nd one a few weeks later with PR 21:31

10m local race PR during marathon training

26.2m PR (3:44:59) to slice 28mins off of 2017. 

Your proudest and/or best race (or segment within a race): I am most proud of managing a year of consistent training and seeing the benefits of it. I was nervous about marathon training as it was going to push some key tenants of smart training with more runs, more miles and more speed. I had improved my base so I was hopeful I was up to the challenge. The easy runs that are about half the Hanson plan were key to a successful cycle and in showing me I could handle the volume. It’s changed my view of training and myself.  Also really wanted to enjoy the marathon to the extent that is possible and find the joy I couldn’t the first time.  Mission accomplished.

A race or race training disappointment during 2018: i was very fortunate to have a successful and healthy year. Big lesson learned in marathon pacing was to run calculations on longer than 26.2 to be more accurate estimate of finish time.  I wanted to be closer to 3:40 but the extra distance wasn’t something I considered in my pacing.  Hitting paces in training <> in a race.

Total training volume during 2018: Will probably end around 1,525 or so.  240 runs with a week to go. 36 over 10miles.  Topped out over 9 hours per week and around 60 miles. Made the time with a lot of 430 wake ups when i needed enough time to run 10+ before work.

Best memories of other guys’ training or races in 2018:  It is so cool how many here have put their training and goals out for all to see. The successes and progress are incredible to see and the examples of consistency, volume, speed and heart are on display for us all to learn from. It’s invaluable to me and to many. I enjoy seeing the morning guys’ runs pop up on strava when I’m done and the support is awesome. I read just about everything written here and have respect and admiration for you all. Seeing goals take shape, observing training and race day tracking in here is really special. Race day tracking is really exciting and motivating.  Speaking of which let me take a stab at some shout outs…

@gruecd - Indy tracking was spectacular, that was incredible to spectate virtually

@Ocram  - stoked for your spring race and lets not get banned in 2019

@MAC_32 - your guidance on trying to get strength work in is awesomely helpful and your strategic approach to training is really insightful

@pbm107 - loved when our SOS days lined up in the fall, funny how much longer mine take to complete

@Juxtatarot- streakin and fast. Every morning you’re already done when my run hits strava

@gianmarco -  you are progressing so fast thanks to your smarts, guts and talent. A piece from all PRs belong to you and the gospel of the neurostim.

@Steel Curtain - pacing your group to the second just barely tops the JFK run to me. Your guidance to your pace group and what you helped them achieve is awesome. Your training and effort on the snowy JFK course will stick with me as well.

@SFBayDuck - and speaking of things that stick with me or pop into mind on a run, it’s usually you and your toughness that is there when I think things are getting tough for me. And I long to run those CA trails with you someday. F these east coast rocks.  I fell all over myself in 13 miles worth in the spring.

@Zasada - another morning crew guy, insane hiking translating to great running. Your endurance and work ethic are awesome to see.

@Brony - healthier year and great seeing you work back to where you want to be. Great example of perseverance.

@JShare87 - you had a big year with moving if I recall correctly and of course working through the back/leg. You are tough as nails and i hope your body can get right in 2019.

@Ned - same to you in staying on a healthier track. I won’t be spending as much time in DE summers anymore but still close enough to scope the races.  Good luck with the research assessment on the leg.

@Hang 10- you were right, I snuck an age group podium out, just a matter of finding a small enough race and upping volume by 50%.  I dug it.

@tri-man 47   @JAA   @-OZ- - you guys show me that there is more out there than running and inspire me to make time for a tri training someday and buy a bike.  Running fast, biking far and swimming oh my.

Oddest or funniest experiences (yours or one of the other guys): I finally had a situation where I needed to hop into the woods for an unplanned stomach stop. That was not funny at the time. In general you guys crack me up and i love that there is a relay crew that will be crushing together in June.

And let me also say (other random comments):

I want nothing more than healthy training for you all. We push to the edge at times with training and wrestle with pain and recovery.  Its hard to know when to push through and when to step back.  I am happy to have put my adductor mostly behind me but it is still an area that gives me more concern than I wish.  Strength work and getting consistent with a day at least throughout training are musts for me from here on out.  I am even more a believer in physical therapy and body work and will keep it up even when healthy.

Goal(s) for 2019:

Time wise, I want big bites out of my 5k (20min), HM (sub 100min) and marathon (3:3x). That’s 90 seconds off my 5k, about 5 mins off my half and 5 mins off my marathon PRs. The first 2 are aggressive on paper but I never trained for either, both happened off of marathon or base training. Will target the half with a local half in March and an A race in May. Will get into more specific speed in the summer and some 5ks and then fall marathon training based on health and fitness at that time. A sub 20 min 5k is where I need to get fitness wise to stretch out the endurance into a BQ time in this age window or be right on the brink when I get into the 45 range in 4 years. 

Volume will be more than 1,500 but probably less than 2,000. Will have to see how first half of year goes. Will try for 2,020 in 2020 methinks. 

Thanks to you all for the support and motivation and community.  Proud to make my 3rd year end entry.

You have kicked some major ### in a short period of time. You should seriously be proud of yourself.

I know all of us here are proud of you. Just awesome.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Sign of progress... Took my dog with me on a run Saturday. Ran a familiar path and did 6.6 miles. Taking the dog means a little extra work as he likes to try to attack passing cars and wants to run balls to the wall for the first mile and a half and I have to convince him to pace himself! Ran the 6.6 in 1:02! And it felt like a comfortable pace - like I felt I could keep that pace indefinitely and even picked it up a little the last mile. Averaging 9:19/mile and feeling like I could just keep trucking was a great feeling. 

Still crazy that my dog acts like he could go much faster and further without it phasing him and his legs are short! He is a Australian Shepard/border collie mix so running/working is in his genes so... 

Really looking forward to getting a watch to be able to accurately capture mile splits - I'd love to see what they were. Kind of a bummer to be "that time of year" and be banned from buying things - having to wait for Christmas does make me feel like a kid again!

First of all, Merry Christmas BMFs!

I'm sitting here on the couch debating if I should go out for a run.  I had a horrible night's sleep because my legs are so sore and I can't get comfortable.  I'm also coming to learn that red wine (even in small amounts) and me don't get along.  My legs and brain are telling me I need a day off (last day off was a week ago).  I had two awesome trail runs over the lasts couple of days but they definitely took their toll.

I had planned on trying to run every day this week and next (since I'm on vacation) but this morning 90% of me (mostly my legs) is telling me to take the day.  The remaining 10% is screaming in my other ear "you're lazy!", "slippery slope!", and "HTFU!".

The last thing I want to do is injure myself a month before my marathon attempt.  But I also don't want to use that as some subconscious excuse for being lazy.

Maybe I'll just take the dog for a long walk.  That doesn't count for much but at least I'm moving and he enjoys himself...

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread