What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

As a number of you saw on Strava, I probably had my best training run in my life today. 18 miles at 6:27 pace.

I’ve been doing weekly 8-mile tempos without a warm up this month and started thinking about doing a marathon pace long run without a warm up/easy miles first.  I skipped the tempo this week and ran short and easy Thursday and Friday  so I wouldn’t be too fatigued beforehand.

The plan was to run a hair under 6:40 pace. My PR marathon pace is 6:45.  I was very happy to average about 10 seconds under that plan.  HR average was 150 which was about what it was for my last marathon. I felt more tired than I should at various mileage points during a marathon but  nothing too terrible.

This run makes me feel very good about PRing a marathon and possibly by a decent margin.  6:27 pace is about a 2:49 marathon pace. I couldn’t have finished it off today but after proper nutrition and a proper taper in perfect weather? Well, maybe.

Some of you mentioned/joked about possibly running a marathon soon. Although I think my speed is there, I’d like to work on my endurance a little more with some more 20+  mile runs. However, I honestly wish I didn’t have to wait until Carmel on March 30. I think a late February marathon would be perfect. Unfortunately there aren’t many such options in driving distance and I’d have to worry about snow and extreme cold. I suppose I could travel but that’s a lot to figure out and flights/hotels can be expensive for just a race by myself. Anyway, it’s something to think about. 

I’ve been so happy with my training since this fall. I think I’ve finally figured out a good mix of volume and intensity that works for me.

As a number of you saw on Strava, I probably had my best training run in my life today. 18 miles at 6:27 pace.
I saw your run on Strava today and my jaw was agape.  So.  Very.  Fast!

I think a late February marathon would be perfect. Unfortunately there aren’t many such options in driving distance and I’d have to worry about snow and extreme cold. I suppose I could travel but that’s a lot to figure out and flights/hotels can be expensive for just a race by myself. Anyway, it’s something to think about. 
It's not quite late-Feb (more like early-Feb) but the Mesa PHX Marathon looks like a fun race.  This was my second choice after Houston, for reasons I mentioned before but there are some definite advantages with this one.  Perhaps turn it into a vacation with the family or friends?

I saw your run on Strava today and my jaw was agape.  So.  Very.  Fast!

It's not quite late-Feb (more like early-Feb) but the Mesa PHX Marathon looks like a fun race.  This was my second choice after Houston, for reasons I mentioned before but there are some definite advantages with this one.  Perhaps turn it into a vacation with the family or friends?
Thanks. I guess that’s one to consider. Nice net downhill too.

Okay here is my stab at this. 😊

2018 Year-end Report

Your goals coming into the year, and were they achieved?

Primary -  Run a 7:30 minute mile for a 10K.  Not even close. Will go into that more later.

Secondary – Avoid anything major that would require me to shutdown running for a while. Only a couple of minor ailments so this was successful. My feet are not the best which is one reason I have to be careful on overdoing it.  This is only my second year since picking back up running (of any volume) in about 20 years.

New accomplishments or PRs in 2018:

I did eek out a PR in the 10K in my first race of the year with a 8:29 pace.  Ran the most miles ever in a year and upped my longest runs to seven miles.   Found this thread and got onto Strava.

Your proudest and/or best race (or segment within a race):

The Crush Run I ran in October. Last year that race kicked my butt both due to the heat (was in June last year) and it is a lot hillier than anything I had ever run (in race or practice). This year I ran that course multiple times in training (not at race pace) to get used to the hills and force myself to push thru them.  I shaved nine minutes off my time from last year.

A race or race training disappointment during 2018:

My first race of the year (which was also my PR).   In mile six I ran out of gas and went 22 seconds slower than my previous miles. Ended up missing 3rd in my age group by six seconds. I know I could have found it within myself to get that time back so I am pissed at myself about that one.  I will be doing this race again in March.

Total training volume during 2018:

650 miles. Up from just over 500 last year.

Lesson(s) you’ve learned during the year:

Need to keep up weekly volume in the 20 to 25 miles range.  Try to run more outside vs. the treadmill.  Keep looking at this forum and Strava to help keep up my motivation when I am feeling lazy and want to take it easy.

Best memories of other guys’ training or races in 2018:

Too many to list here. It is amazing what so many of you have achieved in your races.

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

Want to thank all of you for the support you have provided to myself and each other. This is quite the community.

Goal(s) for 2019:

Want to log 900 miles.  Actually aiming for 1,000 but it is such a large increase from this year I want to set something more realistic.

Finally get to that 7:30 minute pace.  I have seemingly hit a wall at around 8:25 or so a mile. I tried multiple approaches this year but nothing seemed to work.  So I am still trying to figure out how to move forward. First, I need to lose some weight thru better nutrition (and less alcohol – that pains me to say).  I am aiming to lose 7 to 12 pounds by spring. I also need a purposeful plan to make sure my training is moving me in the right direction. Ideally I do five runs a week with two days for weights.  I want one run to be a long one (7 to 8 miles), two for speed/hills, and two for easier runs.  Exactly what type of speed runs and what pace to go to push myself from where I am to where I want to get is one thing I am trying to figure out. I will work on that in the next few days.

Contribute more to this thread!

Ocram said:
Any of you guys see heart rate spikes on your morning runs vs an evening run?

For the last 8 weeks it seems every morning run I'm seeing about 15-20 bpm increase versus my evening runs. This has happened on cold mornings (which I understand) and mild mornings both.

I'm not a big caffeine guy before a run - I'll take a couple of swigs of coke. Sometimes I won't drink any at all before a run. Same thing. I could understand this once in awhile, but it's been every single morning run.

Starting to get mildly concerned if only for the fact the race will be a morning race. And if I keep seeing these heart rates up until race day, I may need to adjust my goal.

gruecd said:
Definitely higher in the morning.  Or at least it feels like I'm working harder.
This. Or it's just easier to run faster in the evening. But lately I've been having gut issues on evening runs. Probably need to eat better throughout the day.

Yeah.  If its a scam you can report and be made whole.  

Just in case its not I bought 2.  
And why is it in Canadian dollars when it says it will be shipped from PA? I wish I used/understood the details of eBay more....mostly so I can figure out what the scam might be.

Of course I might just order one and see what happens ;)  

And why is it in Canadian dollars when it says it will be shipped from PA? I wish I used/understood the details of eBay more....mostly so I can figure out what the scam might be.

Of course I might just order one and see what happens ;)  
Haha, I definitely noticed that.   I'm kind of hoping it is a seller error and maybe they'll honor it.   I do think the seller can turn around and say they "made a mistake" or "found an inconsistency" in the listing void the transaction.  

I've seen it happen on electronics.  The guy can come back and say something like, "I advertised that it would come with a charger and now I can't find the charger."  

It was worth a shot to me.  Been looking at the Fenix 3 HR now a week or so.  You should be able to find one around $200-$220.  Still a good deal.   I decided to go with it over the FR235.  

Thinking about ditching the Apple Watch all together.  Its fairly handy, but it needs charging pretty much every day.  

Haha, I definitely noticed that.   I'm kind of hoping it is a seller error and maybe they'll honor it.   I do think the seller can turn around and say they "made a mistake" or "found an inconsistency" in the listing void the transaction.  

I've seen it happen on electronics.  The guy can come back and say something like, "I advertised that it would come with a charger and now I can't find the charger."  

It was worth a shot to me.  Been looking at the Fenix 3 HR now a week or so.  You should be able to find one around $200-$220.  Still a good deal.   I decided to go with it over the FR235.  

Thinking about ditching the Apple Watch all together.  Its fairly handy, but it needs charging pretty much every day.  
I've been using the Fenix 3 HR for a couple of years now.  Battery life is pretty good, I charge it once a week or so with regular usage, and it lasts about 16 hours in GPS mode (with HR turned off).  The HR gets wonky way more than a chest strap, I'd probably be frustrated if I was training specifically by HR. I do wonder how much the optical technology has improved in the couple of years since I it came out.  And I wear it pretty much all the time, and kind of enjoy the activity/steps and sleep tracking.

So let me understand this... If you want to race on trails, should you train on trails? 

I'm a #######. 

Everything was going pretty well on today's event, feeling great, slow but that's expected with mud, rocks and roots convered in leaves. In other words on a trail. 

I tripped multiple times, bit it twice, thankfully caught myself into a not so graceful pushup, then around mile 17, kicked a ####### Boulder or root or something hard enough that my 2nd and 3rd toes complained a lot. I don't think they're broken but #### they hurt even walking, especially downhill. 

I can't blame the weather, it was kind of perfect except the trail was wet, it's just my not training on trails. I forgot how mentally taxing it can be to have to look where you step every step. 

Even more respect for you trail runners. I'll be back at it before too long.

So let me understand this... If you want to race on trails, should you train on trails? 

I'm a #######. 

Everything was going pretty well on today's event, feeling great, slow but that's expected with mud, rocks and roots convered in leaves. In other words on a trail. 

I tripped multiple times, bit it twice, thankfully caught myself into a not so graceful pushup, then around mile 17, kicked a ####### Boulder or root or something hard enough that my 2nd and 3rd toes complained a lot. I don't think they're broken but #### they hurt even walking, especially downhill. 

I can't blame the weather, it was kind of perfect except the trail was wet, it's just my not training on trails. I forgot how mentally taxing it can be to have to look where you step every step. 

Even more respect for you trail runners. I'll be back at it before too long.
That’s how I feel when I find myself with a road section in a race.  “Wait, to be efficient at this I have to do it in training?”

Hope the toes are ok, maybe you’ll get lucky and get a black toenail and can show it off and tell your trail stories.

That’s how I feel when I find myself with a road section in a race.  “Wait, to be efficient at this I have to do it in training?”

Hope the toes are ok, maybe you’ll get lucky and get a black toenail and can show it off and tell your trail stories.
Right now the toenail is split in half and I have a blood blister on the toe. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Any treadmill recommendations for a $1500ish unit? Mainly been looking at the Sole F80 and the NordicTrack Comm 1750.
Ive had great luck with my Sole f80.  Its prolly 5 years old and still works great, never an issue.

Edit - found my receipt.  I bought it from Sears Nov 2010 for $1500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goal(s) for 2019:

Want to log 900 miles.  Actually aiming for 1,000 but it is such a large increase from this year I want to set something more realistic.

Finally get to that 7:30 minute pace.  I have seemingly hit a wall at around 8:25 or so a mile. I tried multiple approaches this year but nothing seemed to work.  So I am still trying to figure out how to move forward. First, I need to lose some weight thru better nutrition (and less alcohol – that pains me to say).  I am aiming to lose 7 to 12 pounds by spring. I also need a purposeful plan to make sure my training is moving me in the right direction. Ideally I do five runs a week with two days for weights.  I want one run to be a long one (7 to 8 miles), two for speed/hills, and two for easier runs.  Exactly what type of speed runs and what pace to go to push myself from where I am to where I want to get is one thing I am trying to figure out. I will work on that in the next few days.

Contribute more to this thread!
For me, this was all mental.  I just told myself I had to decide between drinking 2-3 drinks 5 nights week vs training goals.  Once I knew it was just a choice, mine to make, I knew I could do it.  Then each time I looked at my wife opening a bottle of red wine I said "Its a choice).

I still give myself Saturdays to drink if something fun is going on. I may also have a glass one other time a week if I am desperate.  I have found though that Im more passionate about not doing then doing it.  The funny part is I have zero regrets.  I truly dont think Im missing out on anything.  If anything, Im sleeping better.

Had my first outdoor run with my new Garmin today and it was AWESOME! Being able to see pretty quickly at a glance where I am, and being able to instantly confirm when my pace was slipping or when my HR was a little high helped me run the best run I have had since starting back up.

I ran a familiar path - one I've run several times over the last few months, including last Saturday - and had my best run there yet - 4:40 better than my previous best! Ran 6.6 miles in under an hour and all 6 splits were under 9 min/mile. Had my dog in tow/towing me. Part was the school kid giddiness of having a new toy to play with helping to push me along but ran it in 58:59 (58:20 actual running time, dog had to poop right before the halfway point!)

Man, that was fun! Will have another longer post asking some questions and posing some thoughts looking for advice, comments etc... Mostly has to do with some stuff I've read and trying to think what my training should look like. 

Also looking forward to next Saturday when I run the last of the 5k winter series I signed up for this year. Should be fun to see what I can do. 
Sorry if I missed it, which Garmin did you go with.  Thanks BTW - I own their stock since I love their products!

Any of you guys see heart rate spikes on your morning runs vs an evening run?

For the last 8 weeks it seems every morning run I'm seeing about 15-20 bpm increase versus my evening runs. This has happened on cold mornings (which I understand) and mild mornings both.

I'm not a big caffeine guy before a run - I'll take a couple of swigs of coke. Sometimes I won't drink any at all before a run. Same thing. I could understand this once in awhile, but it's been every single morning run.

Starting to get mildly concerned if only for the fact the race will be a morning race. And if I keep seeing these heart rates up until race day, I may need to adjust my goal.
I absolutely hate running in the evenings.  My HR would prolly go up because I was angry ;)

Sorry if I missed it, which Garmin did you go with.  Thanks BTW - I own their stock since I love their products!
I got the Vivoactive 3 with music. I love it so far but have only scratched the surface with what I can do with it - haven't even touched the music part yet. Also looking forward to trying it out on the golf course but that will probably be a bit too. 

• Smile
For me, this was all mental.  I just told myself I had to decide between drinking 2-3 drinks 5 nights week vs training goals.  Once I knew it was just a choice, mine to make, I knew I could do it.  Then each time I looked at my wife opening a bottle of red wine I said "Its a choice).

I still give myself Saturdays to drink if something fun is going on. I may also have a glass one other time a week if I am desperate.  I have found though that Im more passionate about not doing then doing it.  The funny part is I have zero regrets.  I truly dont think Im missing out on anything.  If anything, Im sleeping better.
Thanks for the feedback.  I agree totally. I work too hard to give it away with the extra drinking.  Just signed up for that race again in March and found a few others in the spring that I am most likely doing as well.  Weather permitting doing a 5K on Super Bowl Sunday morning which will be six weeks out from my 10K. Should be a good measure of how I am doing and help keep me motivated as well.

• Smile
2018 Year-end Report

I set five fitness goals for this year:

1. Climb Prairie Mountain in less than an hour:  Done.  Since then, I have lowered my PR to 52:47 but I'm finding even a few seconds of improvement is getting progressively harder.
  2. Run the Ann & Sandy Cross Paradise Loop (car to car) in less than an hour:  Done.  Since then, I have lowered my PR by a few minutes and actually held the Strava CR for a while.  I've since been beat but more on that later.
  3. Run Moose Mountain Out & Back in less than three hours:  Done.  This admittedly was the easiest of the lot and I didn't set the bar high enough.  Since then I have got down to 2:08:36, and that included a break for a trail dookie.  More on this one later too.
  4. Run the Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon in under two hours:  Done.  This was a goal that changed over time.  I originally just wanted to run the whole thing without walking, and then that evolved into a sub-2hr goal.  
  5. Complete the Triple Crown of Canmore:  Done, done, and done.  2,580m elevation gain over 23.2km.  It was pretty painful and took about 11 hours to do (with breaks).

Given that this was my first full year of hiking/trail-running/street-running I was setting PRs throughout the year.  It was a great motivating element to experience and see the continual progression as my fitness improved.

This was a tough one for me to choose between my two proudest moments.  I think first is achieving my goal #5 above.  The mountains are where I feel best and they're what got me interested/motivated enough to get fit.  Street running is more of a side-effect, and without the mountains in the mix I'm pretty sure the street running would have never happened.  Even when I'm training in the city I look longingly at the mountains on nice days and wish I was out there.  Managing to gut-out three mountains in a day required a ton of training and perseverance and by the end I was just relieved to be done.  While there was no moment of elation (getting to that in a second) it is the accomplishment I'm most proud of in 2018.  

Regarding moments of elation, the feeling I had when my wife told me my time over the phone at the finish line of the Vegas HM was the single best "moment" of the year.  My goal was <2hrs and I had a very quiet internal goal of 1:50 if everything went perfectly.  To finish in 1:47:36 was both a surprise to me and an incredible level of satisfaction.  18 months before I never thought I could run a 5K, let alone a HM, let alone do it in a time that I would be proud of.  

I had a couple of bad training days (which you guys picked me up from) but overall I think one of the great things about being a beginner is that the incremental improvements over time are significant and noticeable.  So it's hard to be disappointed in a year where all I had to do was put-in the time/elevation/miles and improvement was (more-or-less) guaranteed.  I remember when I first thought maybe I could try the Prairie Mountain ascent without having to take a break, to now when the no-break version is just the "norm".  Now I'm trying to keep the pace up on the steepest sections to try to improve my time.  Maybe even run some of the less-steep climbs! (!!!)

2,191km (1,361mi) in distance and 55,054m (180,623ft) in elevation.  The former includes treadmill but the latter does not.  I estimate I did another ~26,000m (85,300ft) in treadmill elevation. 

One of the reasons I was holding this post until now is that a week ago I saw I was within spitting distance of 300km (186mi) for the month of December.  Today, despite barfing my guts out last night (need to lay off the Naproxen), I managed to knock out the last 11km needed and finished the month at 301km.  A monthly high for me by more than 60km!

Lots of newb lessons learned this year!  Because I'm a newb!

• Things really do get easier with time/effort
  • A quote from this board, which was quoted from somebody else, of "you only regret the runs you don't do" -- this really stuck with me when I was trying to motivate myself some mornings
  • Some days it's better to get out and just take it easy than not get out at all
  • Running in the cold isn't as horrible as I feared (aside from the first 10 minutes it's actually much more pleasant than running in the heat)
  • Naproxen, while helpful for my sore joints, is eating a hole in my gut and I just need to stop taking that (miracle) ####
  • "There will always be someone faster than you" and "the only person you need to beat is your past self" -- it's easy to see the studs on this board and feel like I can never get to that point, but then I tell myself that I don't need to, I just need to improve on my past
  • Avoiding booze, proper hydration, and smart eating pre-challenge (race, PR attempt, etc) really helps

Most of you guys have covered the best stuff here, so I'll just go with a couple who really resonated with me:  

@gianmarco is new to this like I am and we've been following similar trajectories.  Reading about his discoveries and lessons here has helped me do the same, often before I had to learn the hard way.  He did his first HM a few months before me and his discussion of that really helped guide me for my attempt.  A big chunk of my success was because of what he shared about his experience here.  I know it was a disappointment for him in the end but I still think his time rocked -- even if it wasn't as fast as he hoped.  Also his discussions about gear I find interesting and helpful.  It's like I'm on a foggy path and he's a few minutes in front of me calling-out obstacles and making things far easier for me as a result.

@SFBayDuck is the super-hero of my fitness world.  Take everything I enjoy most and then make me 1,000% more adept at it, and then maybe I'm half of what he is.  I love his stories not just because they are incredible descriptions of achievement but because they're like the Golden Corral buffet of what I just get a taste of myself every weekend.  I can't even imagine taking what I do for a few heartbeats each weekend and extending it to 36 gruelling hours of challenge.  Just one of his DNFs would be a lifelong achievement for me.  And then on top of all that throw an awesome dog into the mix and the universe is perfect.

@Juxtatarot, @tri-man 47, @gruecd, @MAC_32, and a bunch of the other BMFs on this board:  Thanks for your stories and support.  You're the "cool kids" I look up to.  Appreciate you sharing your stories for me to dream about.  

@SteelCurtain, you have some great running, racing, and non-running stories.  I'm always curious what you do for a living driving your travels and sports interactions.

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):

Just some random items, I'm leaving a bunch out I'm sure (some just cut/paste from prior posts of mine):

• A couple of months ago I was hiking Prairie Mountain here in Alberta and decided to try to climb it three times in one effort.  On the second ascent an ultrarunner (they all look the same!) passed me on the way down.  He had already seen me on my first attempt and as he passed me on this second one he recognized me and said "nice work".  He was way faster than I was but for a guy like him to pay me a compliment gave me all the motivation I needed to get my second and third ascents done.  I used those two words as fuel for the following three hours.
  • Having a running Elvis as an informal pacer during my HM was pretty cool
  • Singing Eddie Money's Take me Home Tonight aloud and wailing air guitar during a race was a great motivator!
  • This moment on the trail was freaking awesome (sorry about the vertical video, I know there's a special place in hell for me)
Goal(s) for 2019 (in order of estimated difficulty):

1. Reclaim the CR on the Ann & Sandy Cross Paradise loop (currently about two minutes faster than my PR)
  2. Run the Chevron Houston Marathon in January

• Bonus goal:  Do it in under 4 hours
  3. Finish the 29K Moose Mountain Trail Race in under 4 hours in August

• This could be a low bar, hard to estimate times but the course is about double the length of my usual Moose Mountain O&B and 50% more elevation (which I can do in about 2 hours) -- the website suggests it is about equivalent difficulty to a street marathon, and given that I have a 4hr goal for that, it seems reasonable here too
  4. Run the Las Vegas Rock n Roll HM in under 1:45:00 in November 

• Too low a bar?  Should I aim for 1:40?  Not sure how much improvement can be expected at my level of fitness
  5. Complete a Prairie Mountain ascent in under 50:00
  6. TBD -- going to leave the last as a flex, after attempting #2 I hope it will shed some light on what is(n't) possible for later in 2019

2018 Year-end Report
Congrats on achieving all of those goals this year, really cool to follow along, especially as they are the kinds of things I'd love to be doing.  I probably relate to your year end report more than any others, especially:

The mountains are where I feel best and they're what got me interested/motivated enough to get fit.  Street running is more of a side-effect, and without the mountains in the mix I'm pretty sure the street running would have never happened.  Even when I'm training in the city I look longingly at the mountains on nice days and wish I was out there.
Couldn't have said it better myself, although I'm jealous that you have actual mountains nearby and I'm trudging up and down glorified hills. ;)   

And while I appreciate your kind words, I'm no super hero.  If anything, I'm the opposite and proof that anybody can do this stuff, even a pudgy, aging, slow ### dude like myself.  You just have to be the right mix of crazy and determined.

To that point, I didn't see any ultras on your goal list for next year.  Is that what #6 is for?

2018 Year-end Report

Goal(s) for 2018:

I came out of States a little disappointed in my mental game.  I didn't know if I was strong enough, on my own, to get through that thing.  Thankfully I had my crew and pacers to make sure I did.  But I want to prove to myself that I can do it, so in August I'll be down in the San Gabriel Mountains toeing the line at the Angeles Crest 100 Miler, solo division - no crew, no pacers.  Plenty of aid station and volunteer support, but mentally I'll be on my own to get through 100 mountainous miles.  

But it's about the process as much as the result, so on the way there I'd like to PR at Canyons 100K (16:40:53 is my fastest of two times there), run a few local 50Ks, volunteer at a few races, and set new PRs in mileage, time, and elevation gain this year.  No big deal.  
Somewhat of a mixed bag here, but I guess I have to say pretty much achieved.  I went in to AC100 feeling strong, both physically and mentally.  And things went great.  Until they didn't. My first DNF was pretty devastating.  I do take some solace in the fact that I didn't quit, but there's always that nagging, "I could have done more" feeling - in training, preparation, better execution, etc.  And I don't want to ever lose that feeling as it helps drive me going forward.  I was able to bounce back and accomplish what I originally set out to do - finish a 100 miler on my own - just a few weeks later out at Grindstone.  

As for the process part, I achieved most of those.  A little disappointed in myself that I didn't volunteer more this year.

New accomplishments or PRs in 2018 and Total training volume during 2018:

I PR'd on my third run at Canyons 100K, and in three years at that race have gone from 18:04 to 16:40 to 16:27.  

I did set a PR for my longest effort ever (ie my slowest 100).  Does that count?

I PR'd all my annual metrics, big time.  I've had a goal the past couple of years to hit 365 hours of training time, but have come short.  So to blow that out of the water was really satisfying and speaks to staying relatively consistent and healthy.

Total distance:  1,911 miles (previous best 1,683).  The past 4 years have been clustered between 1,562-1,683, so to break out of that was satisfying.

Total Time:  441:45 ( previous 348:14).  

Elevation Gain:  280,843' (previous 212,431')

To be honest, this is kind of tough.  I guess the obvious answer is bouncing back from the DNF to finish Grindstone, but that almost felt like a business trip - fly out there, get your 100 mile finish, redeem yourself, and get home.  But judging by the meltdown I had a few hours after finishing, sitting by myself in a CVS parking lot, feet soaking in a cooler filled with an epsom bath, the sheer effort obviously meant a lot to me.   But in all honesty everything running related post-Western States has felt a little subdued.  I'll be damned if that race doesn't still own me.

This one is easy - lying on that cot at mile 52 of AC100, shivering despite being covered in 5 blankets on an 80 degree evening, and slowly coming to the realization that my race was over.

Consistency is key.  I've known this, of course, but this year drove that point home.

Race day mantra:  Stick to the plan (as long as you can).  Or, put more succinctly, "Don't be an idiot!"  At Grindstone I had the plan to consume only sports nutrition products, broth, and Coke and avoid real food, and I almost screwed my whole race with those damned tater tots.  There are times in these races that you can't stick to the plan anymore and have to adjust and problem solve, and that's one of the things that I love the most about ultra running.  But I sure wasn't at that point when I jammed those greasy taters down my pie hole at 3:00 AM in the middle of nowhere VA.  I'm such an idiot!!!

Most everything has been covered here, by people with much better notebook skills than I.  As @Juxtatarot referenced, I often feel like what I do is a totally different sport than what most of the rest of you do.  But I'm constantly inspired by the newer runners in here, and their passion for learning.  And by the wily vets, lunging and run-streaking their way to ridiculously fast finishes.  And by you fast 5K/10K dudes, knocking out paces that I couldn't hit in 400M repeats on the track.  And by those of you finding time to not only run, but swim (really far, in @JAA's case!) and bike as well.  More than anything, it's the camaraderie and accountability in this place that makes it awesome.

I will specifically call out two that haven't been touched on much by others that really stood out to me (for obvious reasons):

@SteelCurtain chewing up his first 50 miler at JFK in under 10 hours.  Dude just puts in the work, and it showed on race day.

@SayWhat?'s 100 mile finish and Western States qualifier (and course PR) at Superior.  I know you've got a lot going on with a young family and work, but I'd sure love to see what you could do with a training block worthy of your natural talent.  Maybe when you get into States?

Other experiences or comments:

Just the total mind#### that was the last several hours of Grindstone.  I thought starting to hallucinate at dusk on Saturday was bad, but little did I know what was ahead of me as the night went on.  

Goal(s) for 2019:

1.  The only treadmill I ever get on is the seemingly never-ending lottery cycle for Western States and Hardrock.  I've got a qualifier for HR already (each lasts 2 years), so the #1 goal for the year is to get my States qualifier.  Miwok 100K on May 4th is the target here.

2.  Speaking of Miwok, I'll pretty much need to set a 100K PR there to get that qualifier.  The cutoff is 15:30, and my current PR is 15:17 set at Quicksilver back in 2015.  I'd love to get sub-15:00 so I'll throw that out there.

3.  Set new PRs in distance, time, elevation.  2019 miles sounds like a good goal, and 300,000' of elevation gain.

4.  Keep learning about the 100 mile distance.  I don't have one on the calendar yet, but I do plan on running one in 2019 to continue to learn.  They are each unique beasts, even the same course on different years, so the more experience I have the better.  Maybe I'll run two of them????

5.  Get healthier.  Eat mindfully, lose weight, and incorporate strength work.

6.  Volunteer more.  Whiffed that one in 2018, time to give more back to this sport that has meant so much to me.

7.  Enjoy the process.  

Strava already thinks it's 2019, so Happy New Year's to all of you BMFers!

This stuff is getting so fun! Went out with my dog today. He turned 5 yesterday and is a great running buddy for the most part. We did a New Year's Day 5k together today in just under 25:30. Each mile got slightly faster and, although I was pushing a little more than usual, that was not a "max effort". It was more or less comfortable running and the my heart rate was pretty reasonable. 

I love having the new watch. Being able to check my pace and heart rate to see where I'm at and helping me focus on my effort is very cool and quite helpful. 

2018 Year-end Report

My two goals for 2018 were to BQ and to run 2,018 miles.  I did both (BQing for both 2019 and 2020).

New accomplishments or PRs in 2018

Set a new PR in the marathon (2:59:25) at Indy, beating my previous best from way back in 2011 by a whopping 23 seconds!

Your proudest and/or best race (or segment within a race)

Probably negative splitting Carmel by 2-1/2 minutes (1:34:29/1:32:00).  It was my first legit attempt at a fast marathon in 3-1/2 years, so I purposely went out nice and easy (7:12 pace for the first 20 miles) and then dropped the hammer, averaging 6:52 pace for the last 10K and feeling great doing it.

A race or race training disappointment during 2018

I  know it was a PR, but I'm still a little disappointed with my time at Indy.  I went out too fast, and it cost me in the end.  I think I was definitely in shape to run 2:58-something if I'd run a smarter race.  But overall it was a really, really good year, and I have zero complaints.

Total training volume during 2018

Finished the year with 2,641 miles, an increase of almost 50% over the 1,765 miles I ran in 2017.

Lesson(s) you’ve learned during the year

Having a coach really, really helps.  Well worth the $97/month.  And if I'm going to PR, I need to negative split.

Best memories of other guys’ training or races in 2018

Everybody in here absolutely rocks in his own way, but some of the things that always impress me are @Juxtatarot's speed,  @SteelCurtain's absolutely sick training volume, @gianmarco's childlike enthusiasm for running, and @SFBayDuck's ability to just straight up grind.    

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories)

I'll use this spot to say that I'm super impressed by the selflessness some of you show by always taking the time to respond to people's questions and requests for advice on here.  I do my best to help out where I can, but some of you guys absolutely put me to shame.  Kudos to you.

Goal(s) for 2019:

As of right now, I'm running the Carmel Marathon on March 30 and Boston a couple of weeks later.  I'd like to go sub-2:59 at Carmel and to run a course PR at Boston (sub-3:09:48).  I feel pretty good about my chances to do both.  Also signed up to run Indy in November, but I'll hold off on setting a goal for that until later in the year.

First of all, I want to wish all of you BAMFers a happy and healthy and successful New Year!

Ran for the first time today since getting my dental implant done on Friday, and my legs had some pep.  Did 6 miles, and I was clicking off miles in the 7:30s like I was jogging.  Also, the last couple of times I've run after a night of drinking Bombay Sapphire and Tonics, I've had a great run.  Correlation or causation?  Hmmm....more research might be required.

Also ran for the first time today with my new Apple Watch.  Definitely nice being able to have your music right on the watch and to be able to make/receive calls (if necessary) with the LTE feature.  I wore my Garmin on one wrist and the Apple Watch on the other.  I used the Workout app this time, and the splits were quite a bit off from the Garmin.  The Apple Watch showed an average pace of 7:35, whereas my Garmin showed an average of 7:39.  Next time I'll try it using the Strava app on the watch.  Although I'm reluctant to ever stop using my Garmin, it would be nice to have everything (music, GPS, etc.) in one watch...

So at this point I have a few miles under my belt but a long ways to go. As I start to plan for my next half marathon, I've been reading some on the whole "heart rate" training stuff. I'm not really sure what the "ideal" plan for someone like me "should" look like. Right now I'm first just planning to commit to working out more often. The holidays out of the way, this should just be a matter of making an effort.

Starting kind of this week, and definitely next week, I want to get back to running/working out about 5 days a week. The other 2 days may have a very light run or, more likely, just a nice healthy brisk walk, etc. So far the only strength stuff I've been doing is just some sit ups and push ups after my evening runs - really just working on core strength more than anything. Plan to utilize the the gym at work more to do some lifting and crossfit like workouts to combine strength and cardio - probably do a lot of body weight stuff as well as things like wall balls, kettlebell swings, and the like.

A few questions I have after doing some reading, etc...

1) How much do you pay attention to HR while working out? Playing around with it the last few weeks, I've found that if I keep my HR at or under 155, I can pretty much just keep cruising along. 155 to 165 I am still in pretty good shape but definitley "feel it" and have to concentrate a little more to make sure I keep up the pace. If it gets up to 170-175, I am working very hard and not sure how long I could realistically maintain that effort.

At some point, I want to go out and do one of the impromptu "tests" I've seen to try to get some measure of what my max rate might be. The hoky "age calculation" I've seen seems to be off - I've gone above that a few times. My watch is currently estimating it at 180 - not sure how/why, but pretty sure it's using some kind of data from the few workouts I've done while wearing it so far. 

2) How much/what kind of weight training do you do? And why that much/little? I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of times I can run some races in this year but also really interested in "overall fitness" and got to where I enjoyed some of the challenges of doing crossfit stuff when I was a few years ago. I never was as much into the weight stuff as I a was the cardio part of it but did get to were picking heavy things up and putting them down was kind of fun. I can't see doing that as much as I did for awhile but do want to put some effort there as well. 

3) As a guy that is basically 3 months into this, what thoughts, advice, etc do you have for me? What should I start thinking about doing that I'm not right now? Or, what might I be doing that I should think about changing? I still need to drop some pounds as part of the process - currently about 219 (down from about 240 a few months ago) and still trending down as I keep working out and make better food choices - mostly just cutting out junk and avoiding over doing it. Still enjoying food, etc, just being more wise/judicious in my choices. 

@The Iguana how much depends on my current short term goals. I'm in strength mode now so it's 3x per week for 45 mins with a 2x 30-40 min deload week every 3-5 weeks. When I'm in race mode it's more like 2x per week at no more than 30 mins and sometimes as little as 15 at the end of a run. 

What? If you're just starting off I wouldnt reinvent the wheel. Just do the basics. The three biggest muscle groups - thighs, ###, and back. Stay away from machines and do everything with free weights or your own body weight like you have been doing. Some suggest focusing on calves, but it's secondary to me. Listen to your body though. If they aren't happy then they need some attention. 

Plan on 3-4 frustrating weeks before finding a groove and ask questions. 

First of all, I want to wish all of you BAMFers a happy and healthy and successful New Year!

Ran for the first time today since getting my dental implant done on Friday, and my legs had some pep.  Did 6 miles, and I was clicking off miles in the 7:30s like I was jogging.  Also, the last couple of times I've run after a night of drinking Bombay Sapphire and Tonics, I've had a great run.  Correlation or causation?  Hmmm....more research might be required.

Also ran for the first time today with my new Apple Watch.  Definitely nice being able to have your music right on the watch and to be able to make/receive calls (if necessary) with the LTE feature.  I wore my Garmin on one wrist and the Apple Watch on the other.  I used the Workout app this time, and the splits were quite a bit off from the Garmin.  The Apple Watch showed an average pace of 7:35, whereas my Garmin showed an average of 7:39.  Next time I'll try it using the Strava app on the watch.  Although I'm reluctant to ever stop using my Garmin, it would be nice to have everything (music, GPS, etc.) in one watch...
They say the Apple Watch takes a few runs to dial in the pace. With that being said, I think the GPS on the Garmin is unmatched. The HR on the Apple Watch is supposed to be extremely accurate and have found that to be true. 

So at this point I have a few miles under my belt but a long ways to go. As I start to plan for my next half marathon, I've been reading some on the whole "heart rate" training stuff. I'm not really sure what the "ideal" plan for someone like me "should" look like. Right now I'm first just planning to commit to working out more often. The holidays out of the way, this should just be a matter of making an effort.

Starting kind of this week, and definitely next week, I want to get back to running/working out about 5 days a week. The other 2 days may have a very light run or, more likely, just a nice healthy brisk walk, etc. So far the only strength stuff I've been doing is just some sit ups and push ups after my evening runs - really just working on core strength more than anything. Plan to utilize the the gym at work more to do some lifting and crossfit like workouts to combine strength and cardio - probably do a lot of body weight stuff as well as things like wall balls, kettlebell swings, and the like.

A few questions I have after doing some reading, etc...

1) How much do you pay attention to HR while working out? Playing around with it the last few weeks, I've found that if I keep my HR at or under 155, I can pretty much just keep cruising along. 155 to 165 I am still in pretty good shape but definitley "feel it" and have to concentrate a little more to make sure I keep up the pace. If it gets up to 170-175, I am working very hard and not sure how long I could realistically maintain that effort.

At some point, I want to go out and do one of the impromptu "tests" I've seen to try to get some measure of what my max rate might be. The hoky "age calculation" I've seen seems to be off - I've gone above that a few times. My watch is currently estimating it at 180 - not sure how/why, but pretty sure it's using some kind of data from the few workouts I've done while wearing it so far. 

2) How much/what kind of weight training do you do? And why that much/little? I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of times I can run some races in this year but also really interested in "overall fitness" and got to where I enjoyed some of the challenges of doing crossfit stuff when I was a few years ago. I never was as much into the weight stuff as I a was the cardio part of it but did get to were picking heavy things up and putting them down was kind of fun. I can't see doing that as much as I did for awhile but do want to put some effort there as well. 

3) As a guy that is basically 3 months into this, what thoughts, advice, etc do you have for me? What should I start thinking about doing that I'm not right now? Or, what might I be doing that I should think about changing? I still need to drop some pounds as part of the process - currently about 219 (down from about 240 a few months ago) and still trending down as I keep working out and make better food choices - mostly just cutting out junk and avoiding over doing it. Still enjoying food, etc, just being more wise/judicious in my choices. 
1)  We post lots of links around here on HR.  I think its fair to say that HR is personal and there is no "right" HR.  My HR is very high when suffering, some of the other runners here is very low when pushing hard.  That said, when I was getting anesthesia before my surgery my resting HR of ~42 kept setting off alarms for being too low.  Swear to god each different person who came to me and asked "Are you a runner?", to which I replied "Not a good one".

2) I go 2x a week.  Being a Tri guy I need more time for the 3 disciplines.

3)  Define your #1 goal, then your secondary goals.  For example, my #1 goal last year was to complete my first HIM.  One of my secondary goals was to still enjoy my life.  This year my #1 is to complete my first IM.  Im not sure if I can still keep that secondary goal with my #1 goal.  Meaning, you should make sure your goals dont conflict.  My recommendation is to find a single #1 goal and then review secondary goals to see any issues.

Guys -- just got an email from the pacer coordinator and he is looking for a couple speedy guys to help lead pace groups in Miami on January 27.  You have to get yourself there, but hotel, race, dinner night before is all paid for.  You also would get some gear to wear of some sort -- even if its just a pacer tank top.  They are looking for pacers for 3:15, 3:30, and 3:35 times.  Generally, you should pace 30 minutes slower than your fastest marathon time.

Thinking of @gruecd, @Juxtatarot, @pbm107, @JShare87, @SteveC702.  I'm sure there are others I have forgotten.

Honestly, its a ton of fun and really rewarding to help others.  If interested, PM me and I'll get you in touch with my boss.

Guys -- just got an email from the pacer coordinator and he is looking for a couple speedy guys to help lead pace groups in Miami on January 27.  You have to get yourself there, but hotel, race, dinner night before is all paid for.  You also would get some gear to wear of some sort -- even if its just a pacer tank top.  They are looking for pacers for 3:15, 3:30, and 3:35 times.  Generally, you should pace 30 minutes slower than your fastest marathon time.

Thinking of @gruecd, @Juxtatarot, @pbm107, @JShare87, @SteveC702.  I'm sure there are others I have forgotten.

Honestly, its a ton of fun and really rewarding to help others.  If interested, PM me and I'll get you in touch with my boss.
What if I have never run a marathon before?  I think my best half is like 1:45.  Also, how long is the swim leg?  TIA

I don't think I'd handle the stress well.

I’d be really interested in doing this. But, I don’t think I’m fast enough at this point. My best is a 3:21, so that would put me around a 4:00 pacer. I’m trying to round into form now, but my leg isn’t cooperating. Just got a cortisone shot for my knee 2 hours ago, and I have an appoint with a foot an ankle specialist on Tuesday. Hoping to figure these issues out. If by some miracle I’m cured of all my ailments within the next week, I would give pacing the 3:35 a shot.

@AAABatteries no matter the diagnosis, the remedy for hamstrings is, first, rest.  The more you try to run on them then come down with the same thing the more rest you need to get right again. With each ailment more scar tissue builds up that needs increasingly more time to heal.

I dealt with hammy problems for years.  @Ned did too.  And I'm sure others as well.  They suck.  Getting over them is frustrating.  How to get them right again and stay that way once healed is a completely different animal.  But to get to that point you have to let it rest.  Get your exercise in via other means while you wait.
Follow-up on this for you, Ned and others who've had issues.  Once I think I'm good, how much longer should I wait?  I was thinking I would wait until it felt good and then wait another week.  I'm able to be patient because I'm not training for anything and I'm not really a runner like most of you.  It's annoying not being able to get out but I've been focusing on weights and core during my down time.  Then, once I go out I'm guessing I should do a couple of easy runs to test it?  It's definitely not 100% yet (still) but feeling better.

AAABatteries said:
Follow-up on this for you, Ned and others who've had issues.  Once I think I'm good, how much longer should I wait?  I was thinking I would wait until it felt good and then wait another week.  I'm able to be patient because I'm not training for anything and I'm not really a runner like most of you.  It's annoying not being able to get out but I've been focusing on weights and core during my down time.  Then, once I go out I'm guessing I should do a couple of easy runs to test it?  It's definitely not 100% yet (still) but feeling better.
Just from memory, every other day easy for about 3 weeks about 10 days after you think you're ready. Nothing more than about 40 mins. I would try to two a day and do strength train in the same day to ensure an off day to rest but the schedule won sometimes. I saw my sports doc once per week for I think 5 weeks then one more tune up week 8. Week 4 is when I started stringing together 2 and 3 days in a row running and running for more than 40 mins at a time. I had a deload week around week 7 then the arrow went up from there and never came back down again. Yet (knock on wood).

2018 Year-end Report

from 12 months ago: "Not a goal per se; just want to run regularly without being ‘that one guy with the bum calf’  If I can do that, we’ll see what we can accomplish."
Didn't really make great progress on this, but it was beyond my control.  
2018 was the year I finished doing many months of physical therapy (dry needling, core strengthening, massage/release).  Diagnosis changed mid-year to TFJ arthritis with empirical therapy of steroid shot into the joint. Seems to have moved things in the right direction. 

Not much to speak of.  Happy to have gotten mileage up to over 25 miles per week for a lil while there.  I haven't got the base to attack anything over 5K just yet.  Here are the results from 5 races:
May 5K    20:15
June 5K    20:22
September 5K    20:40
October  5k    20:40
December 5K    20:13
 No PRs. 

The 5K in May was probably highlight for the year in that I actually went out slow as I intended and then methodically improved pace, picking off other runners and was in a great groove for the last mile.  That was a good feeling.  

828 miles in 2018 vs. 866 miles in 2017.  Seems about right.   The body allowed me to do more back-to-back days in 2017. 

For many years (decades actually), getting back to running seemed a binary outcome: can run or can't run.  After 4+ years(!) on this rehab journey, I'm now seeing my running as either in a happy spot or going through a setback (rather than re-injury).   Subtle difference, but the mindset has shifted to knowing that I will be constantly running even if I encounter some setbacks.  
Also, if my working diagnosis of Tibiofibular joint arthritis is correct, then this gives me confidence in terms of what I can/can't do to push the leg.  It's still gonna be frustating at times, but it's the beast that I know. 
Aside from running, I'm currently going through exploration of what I want to be when I grow up. I'm also pondering other life goals and inclusion of exercise, stretching is and will always be   a key component of life and well-being.  Not sure if running will always be my thing, but lessons from running spill into discipline in other parts of life.  

Many other reports have pointed out the specific accomplishments of this community and I don't want to leave anyone out.  I will say that 2018 was the first year where FFA was not one of my first internet destinations in the morning routine.  After checking out other forums/communities, it's pretty tough to beat the group here and still the first thread I pop into when on FBG now that yoga pants is dead.  
Doing race events with Juxt and Tri is always great and I hope we have the opportunity to do more in 2019. 

If we kept track of race times, this would be the place where I would congratulate my fellow runners on their achievements, but since we just run for fun and hugs, I will just offer everyone a virtual high five. 

Other experiences or comments (about your year or any of the other guys, including funny memories):
Thanks to anyone who mentioned my persistence in the face of pain/injury in their year-end report, but mine feels like nothing compared to @JShare87 .  That BMF knows a thing or two about running through pain. 

Goal(s) for 2019:

Would like to be involved in the St. Louis relay thing in some capacity that doesn't involve foot rubs or any other body part rubs.   Get KOM for one of the segments on the lake path by my house.  More tempo runs.  Get back to running back-to-back days. 

Users who are viewing this thread