What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=79438

I remember a few of you doing this last year. Somehow I doubt @gruecd is up for it again (although he won't be getting more than 4 hours of sleep)

Anyone else? 
I’ll do this.  I may not officially sign up but I’ll do it.   Not sure when but count me in.

@gruecd and I did the same thing at the same time.  It was helpful to text someone at 3 am and get a response knowing they were right there with me.  NTTAWWT

Haven't even poked my head in here for about three weeks, because it's just not fun when you aren't running at all to hang out in here.  I'm not injured, but it's just not happening right now, no motivation.  Doesn't help I've put on a good 20-25 pounds this year, so everytime I do try it's just so damned hard. And now I have to have a minor surgical procedure next Monday that comes with a prescription of no exercise or heavy lifting (no getting the heart rate up) for two weeks afterward, so I won't even be able to get out on a decent hike with the pup.  

I'll shake it off, I think.  I don't want to be retired from running yet.  I'm 22 months from turning 50, and I've been formulating this idea of aiming to be in the best shape of my life at that time - not just running but finally doing strength work, mindfullness, diet, the whole thing.

Hope y'all are doing well!
Sending good surgery vibes your way.  

I see you up on Burdell periodically, and keep hoping that's the start of your road back to #BMFery.  Rooting for you.  Except for the next two weeks. Sit on your butt!!!

This has been an exhausting month. A 22" storm on day one. Remote schooling. Beginning phases of the kitchen remodel. Then another 21" storm on Christmas day. Now frantically un ####### the house on the other side of christmas in prep of the actual kitchen remodel, which starts tomorrow afternoon. I am not looking forward to tomorrow's run, which will probably be done in 40 degree rain and winds in the 20's. But if I suck it up and just ####### do it dammit I'll be on the doorstep of 2K. Fitting end to this year. 

My goals for January:

*same mileage and strength work as December

*not intentionally murder anyone 
I hope you know this...but as an architect with a specialty in residential work, if you have any questions or need for advise about the remodel, give gian a buzz.

I’ll do this.  I may not officially sign up but I’ll do it.   Not sure when but count me in.

@gruecd and I did the same thing at the same time.  It was helpful to text someone at 3 am and get a response knowing they were right there with me.  NTTAWWT
That was this year, right? I remember following along before I knew wtf you two chuckleheads were up to. 

At first blush it sounds kinda doable...but then I do some quick pizza math and realize that's a bunch of miles in a day, especially without any sleep. 

How many months are we talking?
Pfft.  I'm only 3 months into the dark side.

eta: Cable?  I tried sending a cable to a friend out west when I was young.  But the rider's horse stepped in a prairie dog hole and broke its leg.  Poor guy froze to death crossing the Rockies on foot and the cable never got there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely understood. Hope the surgery goes well! You'll get the mojo back. If not for running, for something else.

:lol: @ "I'm 22 months from 50". 

I'm 67 months from 50   ;)
I actually looked up a countdown clock the other day. “22 months” as an approximation seemed better than saying 659 days. 

And I realized I’m missing an opportunity by being vague about my little surgery.  I have had my skin checked regularly since I was a teenager, due to a family history of skin cancers and damage from bad sun burns throughout my life. I hadn’t been to a doc for a couple years though, and finally went in to see a dermatologist two weeks ago. He froze off about 20 pre-cancerous spots on my hands and face (I looked like the Toxic Avenger for about a week), and biopsied a spot on my neck. That came back as a basal cell carcinoma, which he referred to as “the kind of cancer you want if you’re going to get cancer.”  It doesn’t typically spread to other parts of the body, but it can eat away at nearby healthy skin so they’re basically cutting it and the skin around it out and sewing everything back together. 

So my psa to all you runners who spend lots of time outdoors in the sun is to wear sunscreen, a hat, and get your skin checked regularly. 

This has been an exhausting month. A 22" storm on day one. Remote schooling. Beginning phases of the kitchen remodel. Then another 21" storm on Christmas day. Now frantically un ####### the house on the other side of christmas in prep of the actual kitchen remodel, which starts tomorrow afternoon. I am not looking forward to tomorrow's run, which will probably be done in 40 degree rain and winds in the 20's. But if I suck it up and just ####### do it dammit I'll be on the doorstep of 2K. Fitting end to this year. 

My goals for January:

*same mileage and strength work as December

*not intentionally murder anyone 
Who in his right mind would start a kitchen remodel during remote schooling? Are you crazy??

SFBayDuck said:
I actually looked up a countdown clock the other day. “22 months” as an approximation seemed better than saying 659 days. 

And I realized I’m missing an opportunity by being vague about my little surgery.  I have had my skin checked regularly since I was a teenager, due to a family history of skin cancers and damage from bad sun burns throughout my life. I hadn’t been to a doc for a couple years though, and finally went in to see a dermatologist two weeks ago. He froze off about 20 pre-cancerous spots on my hands and face (I looked like the Toxic Avenger for about a week), and biopsied a spot on my neck. That came back as a basal cell carcinoma, which he referred to as “the kind of cancer you want if you’re going to get cancer.”  It doesn’t typically spread to other parts of the body, but it can eat away at nearby healthy skin so they’re basically cutting it and the skin around it out and sewing everything back together. 

So my psa to all you runners who spend lots of time outdoors in the sun is to wear sunscreen, a hat, and get your skin checked regularly. 
You got this no problems.

I'm sure where all had a bunch of people in our lives have those removed without issue (I know a bunch). Good idea to have somebody on the plastic surgery side have a look or be involved as minor scarring has been a typical result. And then regular annual dermatologist visits...as your psa mentions.

Oz's comment about "other things" had me wondering if you've done much mountain biking? You're in the birthplace and ground zero for it, and other than probably being too fast for Summit, something Im sure you'd enjoy. Easier on the joints too. At least until you crash.

I'm sure where all had a bunch of people in our lives have those removed without issue (I know a bunch). Good idea to have somebody on the plastic surgery side have a look or be involved as minor scarring has been a typical result. And then regular annual dermatologist visits...as your psa mentions.
@SFBayDuck I hope you know this...but as a physician with a specialty in pediatrics, if you have any questions or need for advise about the procedure, give @El Floppoa buzz

-OZ- said:
Definitely understood. Hope the surgery goes well! You'll get the mojo back. If not for running, for something else.

:lol: @ "I'm 22 months from 50". 

I'm 67 months from 50   ;)

My next big goal is to do a full IM at 50. Gotta stay healthy to do that. 

It's funny in a way though. I've signed up for the "13.1 each month" virtual race and probably will sign up for the yeti (6x5 in 24 hours) but really have no desire to run right now.  
I'm almost 3 months past 50.

Never caught my 1,900 miles in 2019. But the 1,728 miles run in 2020 was collectively a 3 seconds faster per mile and 3 bpm lower than 2019 so I’ll take that!  Tacked on another 200 on the bike so that totaled about 280 hours of run/bike.

Feeling better and working on more diverse movements and variety to slowly build back stronger.

Best to you all, onward we go!

Overall training and progress (or regression) for the year

• 4,078km/2,534mi distance (+600km from 2019)
  • 62,457m/204,511ft elevation gain (+1,300m from 2019)
  • 444h7m time (+47h from 2019)
Given the lack of racing, especially at longer distances, I never really got to see if my "year of volume" paid off.  I only had two opportunities to really measure my fitness this year (the FBG race series), but not really at my goal distances.  Did unofficially PR my 5K and 10K, though.  Ran them both much faster than I expected to.

Hitting my 4,024km/2,500mi goal was both awesome and problematic.  Awesome in that I never thought I could run that kind of volume in a year, especially with a ~month lost to injury.  Problematic in the sense that it was all-consuming.  I ran a lot of junk miles just for the sake of volume, and only very infrequently did I have the energy/motivation/legs to run any paces of consequence.

As with prior years, I set five goals.  I won't rehash them here entirely, but some were lost to COVID, others I ignored/sacrificed for my mileage goal.  Still can't do a pushup (although I haven't tried in a few weeks, due in part to fear of continued failure).  Of these goals, I'm rolling at least three of them to 2021.

Race activity (if any)

I was signed up for the Houston marathon in January, but blew it off.  Not knowing it was really my last opportunity to race for the year.  All of the other races I signed up for or targeted were canceled.

Memories from the spring FBG BMF Race Series and other 10K Thread moments

I was very unenthusiastic about the race series at first, but when the first 5K results started to come in, I got really pumped for it.  Same for the 10K.  Just like this thread -- the enthusiasm for the races and running in general here is contagious.  

So many other things going on in 2020, also in this thread.  Too many to list.  Babies!  Big life stuff.  Running-wise it was great to see @gianmarco run his first marathon, and have great training/races along the way with @gruecd.  I think it was a 15K that Grue really pushed Gian, and that was awesome.  Gian had to chase so many races and shift training so many times.  Most (like me) would have just written-off 2020 racing and moved-on.  But not Gian.  Loved that dedication.  Same for the Mrs (who isn't on Strava but seems to be Gian+ in terms of training and dedication!).

@MAC_32 getting hit by a car and still hitting 2,000mi (just today!) is incredible.

So many other things I'm not going to note here -- the whole year just seems like a blur.  

Last thing I wanted to note is how much I miss two of our 10Kers kicking ### here.  First is the obvious one:  @SFBayDuck.  He's my virtual-mentor and I know he's 10x more bummed about his injury than I am.  Reading his race reports would continually recharge my motivational batteries.  Duck, I hope you can get this injury thing figured-out, and turn all those walking hours back to the trails (kudos for still getting out there for hours and hours every week!).  Just today I was thinking about how cool it will be to finally get you up north here so I can show you some of the local runs.  Even at a hiking pace.  Hopefully in 2021, and if not, definitely 2022.

Second is @The Iguana.  Him rocking a sub-99 minute HM last year was fantastic.  I loved chasing him (and failing).  Hoping he gets his recent running to continue so I can chase him once more.

2021 goals, if any (with Covid still lingering)

1. Do a freaking pushup, and how ever many continuous pushups make sense for me -- rolled from 2020
  2. Finish a 100km race (preferably Miwok in May) -- rolled from 2020
  3. Complete a Prairie Mountain ascent in 41:59 or less -- rolled from 2020
  4. Reclaim the CR on the Mount Burke ascent (or beat 1:01:09 if CR gets reset before I get to it)
  5. Run a <100 minute HM (preferably Vegas R&R in Nov)
  6. (Bonus) run a IRL race with at least one FBG 10K #BMFer
I know @Joe Bryant often laments the lack of respectful discourse sometimes seen in these forums, but I wish he was a runner and could experience how supportive and life-changing this thread is.  After 47 years on this earth, I have never been healthier than I am now, and that's due substantially to the support, advice, and encouragement of this 10K thread.  Thank you, to all of you, for that.  

I know @Joe Bryant often laments the lack of respectful discourse sometimes seen in these forums, but I wish he was a runner and could experience how supportive and life-changing this thread is.  After 47 years on this earth, I have never been healthier than I am now, and that's due substantially to the support, advice, and encouragement of this 10K thread.  Thank you, to all of you, for that.  
Thanks. I'm a two time Lake Placid IM finisher from a ways back. Three time Bataan Memorial Death March (with pack) finisher. And a few other marathons. Super glad for a thread like this to bring folks together. 

I think he might actually be a runner (or at least a hiker).  I thought I saw him talking somewhere about doing the Bataan Memorial Death March.

Thanks. I'm a two time Lake Placid IM finisher from a few years back. Three time Bataan Memorial Death March (with pack) finisher. And a few other marathons. Super glad for a thread like this to bring folks together. 
Whoa.  Apologies for the "wish [you] were a runner" comment!  

You on Strava?   :)

Whoa.  Apologies for the "wish [you] were a runner" comment!  

You on Strava?   :)
No worries. Mostly a walker these days it seems but still get in about 45 minutes every day. I read somewhere every human has a certain numbers of IMs in them. I think I might have had 2... ;)   We'll see what next year brings. 

Thanks. I'm a two time Lake Placid IM finisher from a few years back. Three time Bataan Memorial Death March (with pack) finisher. And a few other marathons. Super glad for a thread like this to bring folks together. 
Hey Joe...Iirc, we did lake placid around the same time. I did it in '05. When did you do yours?

I ended up with 2,616 for the year, my 4th highest ever. Not a bad total, for the most part I did what I could with only 2 months of less than 200 miles (March-sick, Nov- hurt my back).

I have some momentum going into 2021 as I have been able to follow the first 5 weeks of the Hanson's Half plan. I will do my best to complete the plan but I am sure there will be workouts I’ll have to skip due to weather and not having access to a treadmill.

Happy New Year everyone, without races and a lot more stress all around it's impressive how we were able to maintain our training.

Mine was 03 and 04. Dang, that was a long time ago!
Just missed you.

Yeah...a lifetime or three ago (got married and had two kids since then). I proposed just before the turn to the finish line- knew my wife wanted no part of being on the diamond vision for that moment. Another spectator saw it happening though and had the kindness to take pictures and track me down through the race director. Love having those pics...and also seeing the reactions of the people around us. I was more concerned with whether I'd be able to get up off my knee and finish.

Users who are viewing this thread