What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the Star Wars Movies in here (2 Viewers)

"Impressive. Most impressive."
It's really hard for me to find a flaw in Empire. The only possible thing could be the lack of a clear ending and so much needing to be resolved in Jedi. But honestly that's it for me and given how we all knew a third film was coming when Empire came out that's an extremely minor "flaw." That movie is just so damn good. 

It's really hard for me to find a flaw in Empire. The only possible thing could be the lack of a clear ending and so much needing to be resolved in Jedi. But honestly that's it for me and given how we all knew a third film was coming when Empire came out that's an extremely minor "flaw." That movie is just so damn good. 
I rewatched it over the weekend thanks to the TNT marathon and it really is a great movie. Plus, it's the most quotable haha

I rewatched it over the weekend thanks to the TNT marathon and it really is a great movie. Plus, it's the most quotable haha
And to think that arguably the best line in the film - and one of the best lines in any film - was a Harrison Ford ad-lib. 

The Force Awakens is already not holding up well. Saw it again over the weekend and other than Rey and BB8 the characters aren't very good (and some are simply terrible). And the whole idea of having a "Resistance" act as a proxy military to fight against a splinter group of bad guys is still just nonsensical. The story's "universe" as a whole is just a strange set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Force Awakens is already not holding up well. Saw it again over the weekend and other than Rey and BB8 the characters aren't very good (and some are simply terrible). And the whole idea of having a "Resistance" act as a proxy military to fight against a splinter group of bad guys is still just nonsensical. The story's "universe" as a whole is just a strange set up.
What bothered me the most about Force Awakens is how - despite Abrams insisting this would be the case - it's not a self-contained film. Other than Han's death everything in the film is a prelude for what's to come in the remaining films. It's nearly all set up. I think that weakened the film. I'm a huge Abrams fan but I think he missed the mark by not telling a self-contained story although I'm sure there were plenty of folks at Disney who wanted the story told the way it was for obvious financial reasons.

im hoping the second one gives us some more detail and depth to the first order, resistance, knights of ren, etc.  its ok to make the audience assume some things and just accept whats going on without giving any back story but they went too far with it in force awakens.  which is funny cause they stole the damn story from new hope and still managed to do that

Phantom Menace -  Jake Lloyd is very underrated in selling the innocence of youth despite you knowing what the character becomes,  Palpatine's origin is interesting, The guy from Taken killed it, and Darth Maul is a very cool bad guy.

Attack of the Clones - it doesn't get much better than when Saruman takes on CGI Yoda in a fight that made everyone respect a younger Yoda.   Ewan McGregor kills it, and the fireside chat between Padme and Hayden Christensen was fap worthy.

A New Hope - So good especially when you consider when it was made.

The Force Awakens - It's like the exact same movie as New Hope except with better graphics and a lamer plot.

Return of the Jedi - Ewoks were total and complete garbage, but Palpatine kills it.  Also I've used Leia in a gold bikini many times.

Revenge of the Sith -  "i have the high ground"  Worst ending to a fight since Karate KId 3's final battle

Empire Strikes Back - Lame Ice World, Luke gets a hand chopped off, Yoda is way out of character in Dagobah, like they had to figure out how to write him.  Lame.

Rogue One - no lightsabers, female lead didn't have large enough breasts or sex appeal
this is hilarious

FWIW -  I know this is about the movies, but Star Wars Rebels has some of the best Star Wars-y content I've watched..  it's really good.

I didn't watch the Clone Wars cartoon, but am considering doing so after how good Rebels has been going into the final season.

FWIW -  I know this is about the movies, but Star Wars Rebels has some of the best Star Wars-y content I've watched..  it's really good.

I didn't watch the Clone Wars cartoon, but am considering doing so after how good Rebels has been going into the final season.
Rebels is among my favorites... I mean my son's favorites :oldunsure:

ETA: If you watch clone wars, be sure to watch them in the "correct" order (google that first)

Worth it

Yeah I watched Empire Strikes Back this weekend and I still don't understand how it is ranked # 1 by most of you.  The ending is good but I really didn't care for the beginning or the Yoda training.
The battle on Hoth is my favorite 20 minutes of cinematic history. 

im hoping the second one gives us some more detail and depth to the first order, resistance, knights of ren, etc.  its ok to make the audience assume some things and just accept whats going on without giving any back story but they went too far with it in force awakens.  which is funny cause they stole the damn story from new hope and still managed to do that
Making a movie bogged down in details that aren't pertinent to move the action along, and/or are potentially uninteresting leads to movie like the prequels, IMO.

Dentist said:

Rebels is wonderful.  It has gotten better and better every season IMO.

It makes you cringe a bit when you realize how many things Lucas could have done with the prequels when you see the story lines in Rebels.

I still don't think my kids have seen Sith because ATOC was so bad they're don't want anything else to do with the prequels

Rebels is wonderful.  It has gotten better and better every season IMO.

It makes you cringe a bit when you realize how many things Lucas could have done with the prequels when you see the story lines in Rebels.
Or when you read any of the books, or just think about the SW universe, etc. So many interesting places to take the story and he settled on the Trade Federation / Separatist political thread to tie it all together. Really, the prequels were pretty much entirely just showcases for CGI without any compelling story or plot at all. And Lucas was a bad enough writer and director to absolutely ruin the performances of some really very talented actors in McGregor, Portman, Lee, Neeson, and McDiarmid. It's actually quite an impressive feat, if not one to exactly be proud of.

Or when you read any of the books, or just think about the SW universe, etc. So many interesting places to take the story and he settled on the Trade Federation / Separatist political thread to tie it all together. Really, the prequels were pretty much entirely just showcases for CGI without any compelling story or plot at all. And Lucas was a bad enough writer and director to absolutely ruin the performances of some really very talented actors in McGregor, Portman, Lee, Neeson, and McDiarmid. It's actually quite an impressive feat, if not one to exactly be proud of.
Speaking of the books: what are some the I should read? I haven't previously read any.

Speaking of the books: what are some the I should read? I haven't previously read any.
Been a looooong time since I have either. Look for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy at a used book store would be my (two decades old) recommendation; I'm sure that someone else can steer you to something newer.

thrawn series by zahn.  its fantastic.  i actually reread these just a few months ago.  still awesome

search for Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)

packersfan said:
Too much Yoda in it. The guy is just irritating.

And this is coming from a Star Wars fanatic.

Been a looooong time since I have either. Look for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy at a used book store would be my (two decades old) recommendation; I'm sure that someone else can steer you to something newer.
Yeah that one's a must read IMO.  there is a 2 part follow up as well but indont recall it being anything special 

I read a lot of the New Jedi Order stuff too...fun reads but it got a bit stale towards the end so don't think I ever finished it.  Vector Prime kicks it off and worth a read at least 

also just remembered for all the thrawn fans out there, timothy zahn just released a new thrawn book.  first star wars book in many years.  came out last month.  called thrawn

Andy Dufresne said:
I couldn't disagree more.  I saw TFA 3 times in the first two weeks it came out.  Then I had a bunch of internet debates about it, and promptly moved on for 6 months.  

Recently I rewatched it and I had totally forgotten how good it was.  Just an incredible movie.  

In fact, the two worst actors to me were Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.  Fisher was borderline unwatchable and I just wasn't a big fan of Ford in this one.  His jokes just didn't seem to work for whatever reason.

But pretty much every other scene in the movie killed it.  Rey, BB8, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren...all great characters that have completely expanded the universe and that everyone cares about.

what are you smoking!!!

I couldn't disagree more.  I saw TFA 3 times in the first two weeks it came out.  Then I had a bunch of internet debates about it, and promptly moved on for 6 months.  

Recently I rewatched it and I had totally forgotten how good it was.  Just an incredible movie.  

In fact, the two worst actors to me were Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.  Fisher was borderline unwatchable and I just wasn't a big fan of Ford in this one.  His jokes just didn't seem to work for whatever reason.

But pretty much every other scene in the movie killed it.  Rey, BB8, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren...all great characters that have completely expanded the universe and that everyone cares about.

what are you smoking!!!
Don't you mean, what am I...wait for it...Snoking? :lmao:

Anyway, Ren is a terrible villain. Poe is a wasted hero.

Random Star Wars thoughts because nobody really cares about anyone else's personal rankings.

Rogue One

A more mature Star Wars movie.  Less campy.  Great space battle, more mature and complex characters.  Could be the most important movie of the franchise, not because it was really all that great itself, but because it opened up a lot of doors and ideas for other movies. 

Downside was that the first 30 minutes were pretty horrific.  I wish they could re-do that.

Force Awakens

Kylo Ren was a great bad guy.  He really was.  The problem is that in a movie that had a lot of parallels to ANH, he was VERY under-developed as a bad guy.  He's more intriguing than Vader because he's not pure evil (as Vader was the first two movies), but he's just not a finished product.  We are picking up the story of Kylo Ren as a "new" bad guy, which from Disney's point of view gives them tons of Kylo Ren upside in the future, as opposed to Vader, who was already a fully finished and mature bad guy in ANH.  

The biggest issue some had was Rey's ability to beat Ren in a fight.  But again, Ren wasn't a Sith and Rey already knew how to fight.  The key is that this was two promising millennials duking it out and setting the stage for a new trilogy/era.

BTW, it worked.  Kids love Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren.  

ROTJ

I recently watched this movie and had completely forgotten how bad it was overall.  It was a terrible movie with some incredibly awesome and important scenes.  That being said, the internet age would be very, very unkind to ROTJ.

First of all, two MASSIVE parts of the movie are wasted by a rescue of Han and a bunch of Ewok screentime.

Look, some of the stuff on Tattoine was cool, but the overall plot of the trilogy wasn't really moved forward.  They spent a good 3rd of the movie rescuing Han.  Interspersed in that rescue were some cool scenes, but in the internet age, that would have really annoyed people.  That movie was a foreshadowing of what Lucas would do years later when he'd waste large portions of a heavily anticipated movie on an annoying character (Jar-Jar) and a pod race.

Now mixed in this convoluted plot were some great scenes, but the internet would have killed this movie.

Also, Vader "turning good".  Would today's audiences accept that?  Vader was the total bad guy.  100% bad.  Then in one movie, heck in just one hour..or maybe you could argue that in JUST ONE SCENE  he goes from super villain to good guy.  It was very realistic how it happened...but I just don't know if 2017 America movie watcher would accept the ultimate bad guy turning good at the end, regardless of how realistic a transition it was.

In any event, I think ROTJ is in 5th place and one could make the argument that Revenge of the Sith was better.

Revenge of the Sith

Not a terrible movie.  Gets dragged down by the first two abominations.  HC wasn't quite as bad, he was actually much better at being a full on villain and his acting improved a lot.  Terrible teenager, pretty solid in some scenes as bad Anakin.  If he hadn't had the wooden Lucas as a director, who knows, he could have totally pulled it off.  Last hour was great.  Anyone who loves Rogue One for the last hour, should love ROTS for the last hour.

Nothing else to be said.  ANH and ESB were great, Episode 1 sucked and Episode 2 might be the worst movie ever made.

EDIT:  Oh wait, one more thing to be said.  Would Mark Hamill have survived the internet age to become a beloved character?  Hayden Christiansen's perception as a crappy actor never really survived AOTC, even when he showed major improvement in his second film.  Hamill was flat out awful in ANH, one of the most cringy acting performances of the series rivaling Hayden in his first film.  

Don't you mean, what am I...wait for it...Snoking? :lmao:

Anyway, Ren is a terrible villain. Poe is a wasted hero.
incomplete villain.  He's young, it's early.  Let the teenager grow up.  He was angry, pouty, but he murdered his dad in cold blood and showed a lot of darkness.  I think the fact he got beat by a girl is hard for some internet alpha males to take.

Random Star Wars thoughts because nobody really cares about anyone else's personal rankings.

Rogue One

A more mature Star Wars movie.  Less campy.  Great space battle, more mature and complex characters.  Could be the most important movie of the franchise, not because it was really all that great itself, but because it opened up a lot of doors and ideas for other movies. 

Downside was that the first 30 minutes were pretty horrific.  I wish they could re-do that.

Force Awakens

Kylo Ren was a great bad guy.  He really was.  The problem is that in a movie that had a lot of parallels to ANH, he was VERY under-developed as a bad guy.  He's more intriguing than Vader because he's not pure evil (as Vader was the first two movies), but he's just not a finished product.  We are picking up the story of Kylo Ren as a "new" bad guy, which from Disney's point of view gives them tons of Kylo Ren upside in the future, as opposed to Vader, who was already a fully finished and mature bad guy in ANH.  

The biggest issue some had was Rey's ability to beat Ren in a fight.  But again, Ren wasn't a Sith and Rey already knew how to fight.  The key is that this was two promising millennials duking it out and setting the stage for a new trilogy/era.

ROTJ

I recently watched this movie and had completely forgotten how bad it was overall.  It was a terrible movie with some incredibly awesome and important scenes.  That being said, the internet age would be very, very unkind to ROTJ.

First of all, two MASSIVE parts of the movie are wasted by a rescue of Han and a bunch of Ewok screentime.

Look, some of the stuff on Tattoine was cool, but the overall plot of the trilogy wasn't really moved forward.  They spent a good 3rd of the movie rescuing Han.  Interspersed in that rescue were some cool scenes, but in the internet age, that would have really annoyed people.  That movie was a foreshadowing of what Lucas would do years later when he'd waste large portions of a heavily anticipated movie on an annoying character (Jar-Jar) and a pod race.

Now mixed in this convoluted plot were some great scenes, but the internet would have killed this movie.

Also, Vader "turning good".  Would today's audiences accept that?  Vader was the total bad guy.  100% bad.  Then in one movie, heck in just one hour..or maybe you could argue that in JUST ONE SCENE  he goes from super villain to good guy.  It was very realistic how it happened...but I just don't know if 2017 America movie watcher would accept the ultimate bad guy turning good at the end, regardless of how realistic a transition it was.

In any event, I think ROTJ is in 5th place and one could make the argument that Revenge of the Sith was better.

Revenge of the Sith

Not a terrible movie.  Gets dragged down by the first two abominations.  HC wasn't quite as bad, he was actually much better at being a full on villain and his acting improved a lot.  Terrible teenager, pretty solid in some scenes as bad Anakin.  If he hadn't had the wooden Lucas as a director, who knows, he could have totally pulled it off.  Last hour was great.  Anyone who loves Rogue One for the last hour, should love ROTS for the last hour.

Nothing else to be said.  ANH and ESB were great, Episode 1 sucked and Episode 2 might be the worst movie ever made.
While I agree that Sith is a far better movie than the other two prequels, that's still a very low bar to set. And while the last hour of Sith has some moments, the entire Anakin - Obi Wan duel is undermined by the anti-climatic " I have the high ground" BS resolution. I couldn't believe how bad that was in the theater, and it hasn't gotten any better over time. Also the Yoda - Emperor lightsaber duel was just silly nonsense IMO and totally out of character for both of them. I mean really, when you reach that level of mastery of the Force you shouldn't even need to carry a lightsaber, much less decide the fate of the entire galaxy based on using one. Anakin and Obi Wan, sure, fight it out. Yoda and the Emperor?  :no:

While I agree that Sith is a far better movie than the other two prequels, that's still a very low bar to set. And while the last hour of Sith has some moments, the entire Anakin - Obi Wan duels is undermined by the anti-climatic " I have the high ground" BS resolution. I couldn't believe how bad that was in the theater, and it hasn't gotten any better over time. Also the Yoda - Emperor lightsaber duel was just silly nonsense IMO and totally out of character for both of them. I mean really, when you reach that level of mastery of the Force you shouldn't even need to carry a lightsaber, much less decide the fate of the entire galaxy based on using one. Anakin and Obi Wan, sure, fight it out. Yoda and the Emperor?  :no:
i hated seeing yoda and the emperor even holding a lightsaber.  if you can shoot lightning out of your hands why even have one

Ren is a terrible villain.
Disagree whole-heartedly here. I loved the internal conflict and the incomplete personal story and development skills-wise. He was pretty clearly portrayed to be about where Luke was in ANH / Empire on the "jedi learning curve" -- immense ability but raw and nowhere near fully trained.

incomplete villain.  He's young, it's early.  Let the teenager grow up.  He was angry, pouty, but he murdered his dad in cold blood and showed a lot of darkness.  I think the fact he got beat by a girl is hard for some internet alpha males to take.
He's nearly as annoying as Anakin in the prequels.

Probably a relatable character to all those that grew up in broken homes, though.

what are you smoking!!!
:goodposting:  all those new characters are massive hits, even more so with the younger crowd. Crazy to say they weren't successful there. 

Andy has been crapping on that movie since it came out though. 

Disagree whole-heartedly here. I loved the internal conflict and the incomplete personal story and development skills-wise. He was pretty clearly portrayed to be about where Luke was in ANH / Empire on the "jedi learning curve" -- immense ability but raw and nowhere near fully trained.
Okay. Let me amend. Ren is an okay villain - portrayed terribly by Adam Driver.

Rogue One

Force Awakens

ROTJ

Revenge of the Sith

EDIT:  Oh wait, one more thing to be said.  Would Mark Hamill have survived the internet age to become a beloved character?  Hayden Christiansen's perception as a crappy actor never really survived AOTC, even when he showed major improvement in his second film.  Hamill was flat out awful in ANH, one of the most cringy acting performances of the series rivaling Hayden in his first film.  
Spot on about Jedi. 1000% spot on. The old farts in here killing TFA while glorifying Jedi are :lmao: . Just admit you love it because you were a kid and let's all move on. It's a fine movie but if you are slobbering over that while killing these Disney two, you're nuts. 

He's nearly as annoying as Anakin in the prequels.

Probably a relatable character to all those that grew up in broken homes, though.
oh my god no.   He's unbelievably more complex from both an acting, backstory, and potential aspect.   He may have been whiny, petulant...but all of it was understandable this time.

While I agree that Sith is a far better movie than the other two prequels, that's still a very low bar to set. And while the last hour of Sith has some moments, the entire Anakin - Obi Wan duel is undermined by the anti-climatic " I have the high ground" BS resolution. I couldn't believe how bad that was in the theater, and it hasn't gotten any better over time. Also the Yoda - Emperor lightsaber duel was just silly nonsense IMO and totally out of character for both of them. I mean really, when you reach that level of mastery of the Force you shouldn't even need to carry a lightsaber, much less decide the fate of the entire galaxy based on using one. Anakin and Obi Wan, sure, fight it out. Yoda and the Emperor?  :no:
good points!

Spot on about Jedi. 1000% spot on. The old farts in here killing TFA while glorifying Jedi are :lmao: . Just admit you love it because you were a kid and let's all move on. It's a fine movie but if you are slobbering over that while killing these Disney two, you're nuts. 
Disney is not trying to appease "40 year old internet nerd" with the new films.  They are trying to appease my two kids aged 8 and 12.  They nailed that.

They hooked two kids for 20+ years of Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo movies and they've only made one film!  Total slam dunk success.

OTOH Rey is an awesome character and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. 

It's clear she has both dark and light side ability.

BTW - Rogue One has gotten better for me each of the four times I've watched it. I'm even mostly over the CGI Tarkin/Leia.

I definitely think a lot will depend on someone's age, when the movies were viewed, and at what point each person go into Star Wars. Being an old timer, I have seen all of the SW movies when they came out and in the theater. A New Hope was pretty ground breaking in that it opened up a genre that was somewhat under utilized to that point. People of that era flocked to the theater to watch the original trilogy, as that's how you had to watch movies. No tapes, DVD's, streaming, downloads, etc.

Oddly enough, one of my old timer friends had never seen any of the Star Wars movies and decided to watch them before the recent ones came out. He thought the original trilogy was weak . . . poor graphics, inane dialogue, somewhat cheesy plot devices, wasn't into the characters, etc. He liked the second trilogy much better . . . better technology, more realistic effects, more interesting story line, and overall grabbed him more than the first trilogy did.

I couldn't believe it, but he had no attachment to the movies from "our era," and found the more recent trilogy more entertaining. My kids like the newest two and don't really like the first trilogy anywhere as much as I do (they say they look dated and old). They also liked the second trilogy more than the first because they were "cooler." Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It's way cooler in the book when you're told what Yoda's thoughts are at that moment.."I can't win".
this brings up a point.   I remember reading the Star Wars book in the late 70s...and it essentially was a screenplay turned into a book.   When were these books ACTUALLY written?   Do I need to just Google it?  Books written on the basis of a movie, expanding on it is lame to me....but I'm not sure I can pinpoint why I feel that way.

this brings up a point.   I remember reading the Star Wars book in the late 70s...and it essentially was a screenplay turned into a book.   When were these books ACTUALLY written?   Do I need to just Google it?  Books written on the basis of a movie, expanding on it is lame to me....but I'm not sure I can pinpoint why I feel that way.
Because "artistic license" of the not-original author can feel a lot like "Making #### up".

Users who are viewing this thread